#gamergate gross incompetence gullibility PUA reactionary bullshit red pill rhymes with roosh

Roosh V's game site Reaxxion tricked into publishing an old John Birch Society pamphlet as a #GamerGate manifesto

#GamerGate: Now taking inspirarion from the people who put up this billboard
#GamerGate: Now taking inspirarion from the people who put up this billboard

Reaxxion, Roosh Valizadeh’s embarrassment of a gaming site, recently published am apocalyptic GamerGate manifesto under the title “#Gamergate Is A Critical Battle In The War To Save Western Society.”

In the manifesto, posted by someone calling himself Allan Quatermain – presumably not his real name – defines GamerGate as

a grass roots consumer rights affiliation of people, men and women of good character, humane consciences, and principled beliefs [who] have voluntarily joined together to combat more effectively the evil forces which now threaten our freedoms, our hobby, our way of life and the civilization we love.

Quatermain described the enemies of #GamerGate in similarly vivid terms. The evil Social Justice Warriors, he wrote,

seek always and everywhere to bring about more interference, less individual responsibility and an amoral way of doing things. On the plain of action, until the SJW’s can be stopped from their subjugation of all western society, there will be no opportunity for us to move forward at all. …

They deceptively appeal to every motivation in human character, from sordid selfishness, to practical politics, to misguided idealism. They have gradually beguiled a lot of very good people into joining the attack on us, until the maligning of #gamergate has probably exceeded in intensiveness and extensiveness that faced by any other organization in all of western history.

I was all set to write an essay describing how the rhetoric in Quatermain’s manifesto resembles the rhetoric of other reactionary, conspiracy-minded movements in American history, drawing upon historian Richard Hofstader’s famous essay The Paranoid Style of American Politics.

But then I started getting a little paranoid myself. While many GamerGaters see their, er, “struggle” in similarly apocalyptic, some of the language in Quatermain’s post seemed weirdly old-fashioned, almost as if he were cribbing from some old John Birch pamphlet on the “communist menace” from half a century ago.

That’s because he was. I pasted a few sentences from Quatermain’s essay into Google and discovered that they did in fact come straight from an old John Birch newspaper ad from the 1960s.

In fact, the whole essay is essentially a verbatim copy of a giant chunk of that John Birch society newspaper ad, with the words “John Birch society” replaced by “GamerGate” and “Communist” replaced by “SJW,” and a few other references changed here and there.

That bit from Quatermain’s essay I quoted above describing how SJW’s allegedly “seek always and everywhere to bring about more interference, less individual responsibility and an amoral way of doing things?”

Well, here’s the original paragraph as published by the John Birch Society in a newspaper called the Reading Eagle in January of 1966.

johnbirch1

You can see the entire John Birch ad here.

Roosh, you’ve been trolled, and trolled hard. And none of those commenting on his site suspected a thing.

To the troll behind this, kudos on some masterful work.

Slow clap.

Zolnier

I wonder if there’s any interesting cultural implications in the fact that old school red bashers and gaters (not to be confused with gators, who’re a proud and bitey people) are basically the same thing.

Magpie

Are we talking about my favourite topic, old newspapers?

1891 – a young woman talks about dating

a young man replies

Magpie

1894

Young Women.

Do you think you could love the young man who sneers at his mother and sister ?

Do you think you oould love the young man -who does not take the trouble to look his neatest when he comes to see you ?

Do you think you could love the young man who forgets to remove his hat when he is talking to you in the hall or on the verandah ?

Do you think you could love the young man who is never thoughtful of your com- fort, but only of his own ?

Do you think you could love the young man who, while professing love to you, speaks about you in a careless way ?

Of course you cannot! Then don’t.

Kootiepatra

On the plagiarism thing—I am a grading assistant at my local university. Several years ago I caught one of our students extensively plagiarizing in her essay. When the teacher sat down with her to talk about it, the student burst into panicked tears, because she sincerely had no idea that what she was doing was wrong. She literally just thought that was how research papers worked.

Lord knows how she managed to make it all the way through high school with that idea, but—yeah. Particularly if we assume Mr. Hilarious Pseudonym to be a young dude without much IRL writing experience, there is a chance that he honestly thinks his own minor edits count as a totally legit rewrite, if that’s how he’s been coasting through school.

This is not to let him off the hook for it, but rather to enjoy the idea that this might be an excellent and thoroughly accidental self-troll.

kittehserf - MOD

Magpie, I love that young woman’s letter!

How sad that she’d come forward a century-plus and find all too many things the same.

ParadoxicalIntention

tesformes

Hey, off topic, but can anybody fill me in on what Brianna Wu did that’s got people threatening to release chat logs or something? I can’t find any actual information.

Well, from what I understand:

Chloe Segal, another game developer, got into some shit with PayPal and IndieGoGo because of GamerGate. Funds she had raised were seized, and she went to Brianna for help to get people on her side.

Brianna refused, saying she didn’t want to get involved with a situation she knows nothing about, because that would be her neck on the line, not Chloe’s. She says she’ll give advice, but nothing more.

Chloe seems understanding at first, then lashes out at Brianna because she refused to use her followers to help her, being verbally abusive and trying to guilt Brianna into assisting her. (“But I helped you! Why can’t you help me?!” “You’re triggering me!” “I’m suffering more than you!” “If you don’t help me, I’ll make this log public!”, ect.)

The leaked stuff has been archived here: http://imgur.com/yJPWyvH

I highly recommend the read. It really shows what a terrible person Chloe Segal actually is. I felt sorry for her at first, but damn if that didn’t change quick.

filmrunner

That is a truly beautiful work of trolling. Do you think we could convince him to publish a find-replaced version of Protocols of the Elders of Zion?

brooked
brooked

@tesformes & @ParadoxicalIntention

I read those logs without knowing what they were and regret it since it’s a cringe-inducing personal exchange. I do feel bad for Wu though because she tries to be reasonable and supportive but, oh boy, Chloe passive aggressively, then aggressive aggressively, refuses to accept no as an answer. There’s not much to see there, I have no idea why Chloe released them because Wu does nothing wrong and does her best to remain civil while refusing to give Chloe’s demands and threats. Again, I can’t stress enough how cringe inducing it is, it’s a genuinely painful read.

brooked
brooked

@ParadoxicalIntention

Just to clarify, I read them those logs earlier today elsewhere without knowing any of the back story. I just reread both our posts and realized it sort of sounds like I read it from your link and was complaining about it. That’s what I get for posting while super sleepy.

Magpie

Kittehserf – yeah, the more things change….

The letters whinging about women all mention the same things the MRA’s go on about, too. It tickles me.

Johnson Fryil
Johnson Fryil

Join the secretilluminaititemple666 today to get rich, wealthy and famous. You will be granted STRONG and spiritual powers to do whatever you wish to do in this life, you can travel to any part of the World without stress or lack of money by joining this GREAT Brother hood. This is the season and time we give a favourable and satisfying ransom to newly joined members. Newly joined members will be issued the sum of $50.000000 USD for a start and as time goes on, you will be given $100.000000 USD every week as a fully joined member of the secretilluminaititemple666. If you are interested, kindly visit us on via Email: secretilluminaititemple666@gmail.com

Good Luck!

vaiyt

“Roosh V’s game site Reaxxion tricked into publishing an old John Birch Society pamphlet as a #GamerGate manifesto”

Is there any difference? I mean, most of the anti-Semite conspiracy theories GG bounced around *were* JBS shit anyway.

kittehserf - MOD

Magpie, that’s what I thought with that “reply” from that young twit. Oh she’s too boring, she doesn’t talk! Oh she talks and I know jack shit about anything! Oh noes!

It says something that spambots have more entertaining things to say than trolls. Though I think “Johnson Fryil” (why does that make me think of Friar’s Balsam?) needs to fix the opening sentence:

“Join the secretilluminaitifurrinatitemple666 today to get rich, wealthy and famous.”

Kootiepatra

Those newspaper entries are fantastic. Bookmarked them all.

There’s also the, “My bad attitude and manners are everybody else’s fault but my own” chestnut, too.

lith
lith

voluntarily joined together to combat more effectively the evil forces

and that’s about where I zoned out.

evil. forces.

I’m mentally inventing a new game where everyone is given the same snippet of misogynist/racist rant and has to provide a 100 word summary of the whole thing. Whoever gets closest wins. Bonus points for guessing exact words or phrases used in the text.
Wow they like their melodrama.

Newt
Newt

@DAP:

It’s sad that it still makes sense when you apply it to the cultural Marxists of today

For it to *still* make sense, it would need to have made sense at some point in the past. Did you have a point to make, or did you just want to drop the phrase “cultural Marxists” into a sentence to pretend that it’s a meaningful concept?

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

Cassandra:

The ball sniffing thing still bemuses me. Other men, do you do this? Is this a common thing that I just never knew about on account of not having testicles?

Personally I shower rather often, mainly because I love being squeaky clean. This preference developed slowly after puberty. I feel it when my crotch and armpits start getting funky (and boy, it happens fast). I’m also rather sensitive to other people’s smells.

I guess it’s possible that some people don’t develop that kind of sensitivity. Instead, they develop a consciousness (or not) on how their hygiene affects other people. Then they would consciously monitor their body odor, just like women in particular often learn to monitor the finer aspects of their appearance.

This would explain why Roosh sees women as the main reason to maintain personal hygiene. It could be even true for him, if he lives alone and doesn’t mind being a little smelly. He might still be actually rather well-groomed when he goes out.

(Apparently, I’m not too sensitive on discussing other people’s crotch sweat. I’ll stop now.)

lith
lith

taking out the melodrama:

“some computer-game players who want to stop other people entering into our hobby”.

taking out the melodrama and adding a pinch of truth:

“some computer-games players led by a core of misogynist arseholes who sent rape/death/mass-homicide threats to women and their families because they dared step outside of the box we mentally put them in in the hope that females and other people different to ourselves would stay away from our precious hobby”.

Lea
Lea

Would you be prepared to debate Karen Straughan in an open debate?

That implies that there is anything to “debate” her about. There isn’t. There is no reason to debate with racists, homophobes, transphobes, ablists, classists or misogynists. They have no reason behind their hate. It’s just hate all the way down.

brooked
brooked

Would you be prepared to debate Karen Straughan in an open debate?

Would I have to listen to her talk, because if so, no.

Boom goes the dynamite.

artsmyth
artsmyth

I too misread Quatermain as Quatermass. Brought to mind the movie where all the people who were genetically alpha started rioting and killing everyone else. I believe it was called “Quatermass and the Slymepit”…

proxieme
proxieme

cassandrakitty on January 8, 2015 at 9:27 pm
I don’t think they have Slinky spines, apparently what he does is wipes his hand over his bits and then sniffs it to test for odor. If other men do this they’ve been polite enough not to do it where I could see them.

pallygirl on January 8, 2015 at 9:37 pm
No man has ever admitted doing this to me, even when we’re all completely drunk and in permanent friendzone.

#notallmen

I know for a fact that my Mr does, but (with small children) we often squeeze in randomly timed sexytimes and he’s trying to be considerate.

And we may have slight boundary issues.

proxieme
proxieme

“PEG + CAT’S ON! MOVE, MOVE, MOVE!”

proxieme
proxieme

My favorite was the bit about the overly long eyebrow hairs,[…]

My Mr also has to trim these for work (he has to look pretty), but I’ve got to admit that I don’t always alert him to their existence of he’s on vacation…
…until I can say, “I like your swoopy eyebrows. You look like a super villain!”

JDF
JDF

Regarding the LaRouchies and their Obama/Hitler literature:

I went to the 2009 Worldcon in Montreal. After the con wrapped up, I stayed on for a couple of days to hang out with friends. One afternoon in Old Montreal, I came upon three Larouche followers who had set up a table full of pamphlets. it was mostly anti-Obamacare propaganda, and featured the President photoshopped with the aforementioned Hitler moustache.

I just had to ask one of them why he was protesting Obamacare, an American healthcare policy, in the middle of Montreal, which is the most progressive city in the most progressive province of Canada, a country that has had single-payer healthcare since the mid-60s.

Instead of answering, he tried to sell me a large booklet featuring Obama photoshopped into a scene that made him look like he was shaking hands with Hitler’s inner circle. I just gave up and walked away at that point.

Kyla Ball
Kyla Ball

Karen Straughan….ugh. While watching a video of hers I was struck by how many times she cited the example of “women and children first into life boats” as an example of the “disposable male”. Yeah, like I’m getting ahead of men in life boats every day.

Kyla Ball
Kyla Ball

P.S. I was trying to post a comment for sometime and kept getting a pop-up that this site We Hunted The Mammoth is compromised, unsafe and not private. Just thought I’d let someone know. I was worried it got hacked or something.

proxieme
proxieme

Yikes – Nice heads-up, Kyla.

Coming back to say that I want to clarify: It’s not that the Mr doesn’t care about his long eyebrow hair (re: me alerting him), it’s that he’s been fairly far-sighted since his late 20s and needs to put on reading glasses to do any close-up grooming himself.

He hates his reading glasses, so he relies on me for updates.

I, however, love his reading glasses – especially if he wears them when his eyebrows get long. They transform him from super villain to “kooky professor with subversive ideas”.

kylagb
kylagb

It seems to be okay if I go through wordpress but not facebook. So I had to create a wordpress account. Weird, so be careful. I could well imagine them trying to bring down this site.

kylagb
kylagb

I don’t mean Facebook infiltrating this site, I mean the folks in the Manosphere.

Lea
Lea

Blockquote uberfail. oops.

proxieme,
My husband trims stray long eyebrow hairs. He calls them his Mentat brows. Occasionally I get them too. Do Not Want!

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

I was going to suggest that perhaps the OP wasn’t trolling, but may, like many of Roosh’s followers, genuinely believe that both SJWs and communists are dire threats to our culture. It was nice of DAP to illustrate that point for me.

As for “debating” Karen Straughan, what would be the point? You’d waste half your alloted time just pointing out that her “facts” aren’t even factual.

Falconer

My go-to image for “kooky professor with subversive ideas” is Prof. J. P. Kettlewell, the Victor Frankenstein figure from the Doctor Who serial Robot:

Admittedly, that’s more “male pattern balding embracing” than “eyebrows.”

I have one eyebrow hair in each brow that grows out really long and coarse compared to the rest of my eyebrow hair. It scoffs at my wee eyebrow hair trimmer.

weirwoodtreehugger

Did GWW even ask for a debate with David?

How has nobody addressed the thing of beauty that is that spam comment?

I especially like how it offered us 50 dollars and put several zeros after the decimal point so it looks much bigger. The 666 in the email address is a nice touch too.

weirwoodtreehugger

Do we have Mammotheers in France? I can’t think of anyone off the top of my head but just in case, hugs.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

“Secretilluminaititemple666” is way too on-the-nose for it to be an actual spambot. It’s somebody either trying way too hard to take the piss out of the conspiracy theorists or trying way too hard to take the piss out of us.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

100 bucks a week, so a little over 5k a year? Eventually? I wonder if they expect membership dues and time investment… seems like a bit of a raw deal. Sadly that income alone probably won’t make someone rich.

But hey, “STRONG and spiritual powers!” Is the James Randi challenge still going on? Demonstrating actual proof of supernatural abilities would definitely make one rich and famous. If only one of the founding members of “secretilluminaititemple666” had just taken the challenge, they wouldn’t be able to stop the people from swarming to sign up.

I guess then it wouldn’t be a secret, though…

maistrechat

Why do the reactionaries (and new atheists) love the idea of debating? They seem to think that winning a debate can prove a factual claim.

It’s weird.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

What would a secret Illuminati temple DO day-to-day anyway? Is it just a mafia-esque system of favors? Or do they do community work, like brainwashing the masses through bake sales?

Illuminati cookies.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

I personally just like seeing two people with different world views talking directly to one another, and debates are the usual way that even happens. All the rhetoric has to mellow out. It won’t give you truth, but it can be fun to watch how a person’s beliefs hold up to direct questioning.

That or just watch the fireworks.

(I’d totally debate GWW if I thought I could handle a debate… Especially because I’m pretty much a nobody, so I’d have nothing to lose.)

Bruno
Bruno

@WWTH : Lurkers at least 🙁

lith
lith

proxieme:

My Ms doesn’t seem to notice them, so the first warning I get is an eyebrow hair tickling my eyelid.

weirwoodtreehugger

I hate how trolls always take a refusal to debate as a victory. Every time I’ve told someone that they’re being purposely obtuse so I won’t engage anymore, they think it means their argument must be correct. Nope. Not how it works. There’s just no point in spending hours on a completely unproductive conversation.

It would be fun to see a debate with Karen Straughan. If and only if there is a strict time limit for answers and rebuttals. She would have such a hard time sticking to it and it would be glorious to watch. All the same, David shouldn’t have to subject himself to her if he doesn’t want to.

lith
lith

Falconer:

Yes, that’s it! And it’s pretty stealthy in my case, grows really long while staying hidden in amongst the rest and then suddenly leaps out and refuses to remain subdued.

Bina
Bina

Oh good, so it’s not just me, then? I usually go on a mad hunt for those two pesky hairs with the tweezers when I see that they’re back again. (I have plenty of other, better behaved brow hairs, so I never miss ’em when they’re gone.)

Falconer

@WWTH: We had a troll who said he was French, and he lived on a houseboat in England.

@kirbywarp: Now I want to pull my copy of GURPS Illuminati and read it, maybe it’ll help me think of what the Secret Masters get up to in their copious spare time.

GURPS Warehouse 23 has a couple of lines where the authors mention that the Ark of the Covenant would smite scorpions while the tribes of Israel wandered in the desert, and then they boggle at the notion that a Secret Master keeps it around as a bug zapper.

Emmy Rae
Emmy Rae

Oh, so you all have just ONE out of control eyebrow hair? Hmph. Gonna give my two wannabe caterpillars a talking to.

leftwingfox

Guh, hate debates. In an era where people can actually link to evidence and write long-form discussions, It’s obsolete. It’s style over substance with a psudo-intellectual gloss.

(I also hate watching people being embarrassed. Even when politicians I hate are called out in the most justified ways on their lies, it makes me physically uncomfortable to watch. Even a “successful” debate for my side is painful for me.)

As for the John Birch Society, they’ve been mainstream for a while now. It’s just called Fox News now.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

I have a freak albino eyebrow hair that appears regularly, every 4 months or so. It’s like Halley’s Comet. Hunting and weeding it is an enjoyable activity.

Trolls put way too much stock in debate, when they don’t even know how to do it properly. They have this vague idea that you “win” by “scoring points off your opponent”, but they focus on subduing the opponent instead of addressing their ideas.

Dear trolls:

1. Volume (shouting in ALL CAPS at your opponent) doesn’t mean you’re right.
2. Intensity of feeling (anger, name-calling, cold contempt, condescension, hyperbole, abuse of “-nazi” suffixes) doesn’t mean you’re right.
3. Quantity (torrents of bogus facts, links, and unsupported assertions) doesn’t mean you’re right.
4. Popularity (“Everyone else thinks the same way I do!”) doesn’t mean you’re right.
5. Refusal to engage or acknowledge your opponent’s argument means you’ve lost