antifeminism attention seeking bears dark enlightenment drama kings evil ugly women grandiosity hate men who should not ever be with imaginary women ever men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA post contains sarcasm reactionary bullshit transphobia vox day

Vox Day: "Feminism is a Satanic, anti-Christian, anti-reason, anti-science ideology that destroys literally everything it touches and everyone who embraces it."

Man protecting himself from the evils of feminism
Man protecting himself from the evils of feminism

Oh dear. Fantasy author and garbage person Vox Day is having one of those (vox) days, and has decided to take it out on, you guessed it, feminism, pounding out an overwrought little rant on his Alpha Game blog.

Never give feminists an inch. Don’t agree with them, don’t tolerate them, show them no mercy whatsoever. Feminism is a Satanic, anti-Christian, anti-reason, anti-science ideology that destroys literally everything it touches and everyone who embraces it.

Wow. He’s so mad he’s practically plagiarizing Pat Robertson’s famous quote about feminism being “a socialist, anti-family political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.” I’m not sure how Vox managed to forget the lesbian witchcraft angle.

Reject it and its adherents the way you would reject someone offering you plutonium on their bare hands; to accept it is to begin to die a slow and painful death.

Might I offer you some notes, Vox? This bit seems a little understated. I mean, the plutonium thing is pretty good, but a person handing you plutonium isn’t anywhere near as scary as having, say, a bear do it. Or a shark. Or a bear-shark. Or a bear-sharknado.

The problem isn’t merely that feminists are ugly and hateful, or that their ideology is incoherent and deluded, but that by mere toleration of them, through mere intellectual contact with it, you are permitting your life to be infected and degraded.

Clearly Vox, a dude who clings to memories of his D-list celebrity as a former member of an angsty dance band two decades ago, and who devotes much of his life to pounding out hateful and unintentionally self-parodic rants on the internet, offers us the very model of a healthy and happy life well-lived.

Reject all of it. Reject their appeals to equality. Reject their pretense to intellectual standing. And most of all, personally reject all of those who subscribe to it in any way, shape, or form. Any man who calls himself a feminist is ideologically transgender and mentally unstable.

Ideologically transgender? Wow. He’s come up with an even more obnoxious way to call someone a “mangina.”

Vox, you’re so cute when you’re angry!

And by cute I mean a you’re a pathetic, hateful, disgusting excuse for a human being.

Emmy Rae

If the examples above are sheeple, sheeple deserve more credit for their uniqueness and willingness to defy society’s expectations.

They’re either sheeple or they’re cosplaying as clouds.

kirbywarp

Cloud people. Cleople. Clouple. Peouds. Hum… there isn’t a great name for cloud people is there?

Tangentially, sheeple made me think of Babe, which made want to look up the context of the bah-ram-ewe quote, which brought be to a list of movie quotes, which made me realize that Babe was a much darker and more serious film than I remember. I might have to re-watch it.

Emmy Rae

Kirby, I heard that the woman who voiced Babe died a few weeks ago. She was fairly young, I believe – early fifties.

@Emmy Rae:

Aww, that’s sad to hear.

Viscaria
Viscaria

Oh my LORD, katz, that is obviously a goat. Don’t you even know what a sheeple looks like?

IT IS A BIGHORN SHEEP.

Oh dear. I hope you two aren’t going to… LOCK HORNS over this.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I was seriously surprised by Babe when I finally got around to watching it. This was supposed to be a kid’s movie? That goose the family eats instead of Babe was horrifying. THE GOOSE HAD A NAME. AND FRIENDS WHO MOURNED HER. AND THEY WERE EATING HER.

Oh dear. I hope you two aren’t going to… LOCK HORNS over this.

No, but we may butt heads.

Robert
Robert

Lucid dreaming is one of my favorite things. I’ve done some fun things with it over the years. One thing, though; dreamfolks are quirky. Telling them that you’re having a dream and they’re not real gets you nowhere, but more open-ended conversations can work. I asked one once what the name of the city we were in was, and his answer sounded like a pun on inner chi/energy. Flying in lucid dreams – wow. I also like going into stores and restaurants and drinking liquor from bottles. Never tastes quite right, though – hearing, seeing and touch work better than taste and smell.

My recent anxiety dreams are usually about being back at the hospital and trying to get home. Fortunately, I wake up AT home. Buses and rapid transit trains are part of the anxiety – either the bus doesn’t come or I can’t find the entrance to a station I’ve used hundreds of times in waking life. Yes, I take public transit in my dreams – I’ll fly, walk through walls and do magic tricks, but my subconscious will not let me do something as unreal as drive a car.

Mouse Farts

I am very offended by this conversation. That is clearly not a sheeple, and should not attempt to violate the natural order of society by attempting to be something it is not. It isn’t right, and I feel that it taints the very concept of true sheeple.

You people have no respect for the sacred sheeple.

Emmy Rae

Wasn’t Babe British or Australian? That seems more in line with those cultures than American culture.

And, as a farm kid that seemed sort of normal to me. It never occurred to me until now that it was odd for children.

That was @PoM

contrapangloss

Poor Rosanna.

Ferdinand was actually one of the smarter animals, to be honest, even though as a kid, I distinctly remember thinking he was the stupidest.

Little kid me didn’t get it, obviously.

Bina
Bina

I find myself having semi-lucid dreams now and again. I’ll find myself doing something one can only do in dreams (eg. picking my feet up off the ground and just flying, or searching in vain for a toilet with some semblance of privacy and finding nothing but exposed crappers everywhere) and thinking to myself “wow, this is just like something I dreamed before!” Somehow, though, I never make the connection and say to myself “hey! I must be dreaming! Therefore, I can do anything, and therefore, I will just MAKE myself a toilet with some privacy now!”, which I guess is what by definition would happen in a fully lucid dream. (I always wake up before I get a chance to make THAT happen.)

Emmy Rae

I just read the Wikipedia article on Babe; apparently the actor who played the farmer went on to become “an ethical vegan” (not sure why they didn’t just say vegan). And it contributed to the rise of vegetarianism among young people. So maybe you’re supposed to be horrified.

Lea
Lea

*eyes bowl* You gonna finish that?

Naw. You go ahead. It stays crunchy in milk!

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I have not the first idea. All I know is the reaction I had to a couple of animals mourning another animal, who had a name but was nevertheless cooked and eaten. That reaction was: “Holy cow, kids are supposed to watch this??”

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

I feel sorry for the sheeple – they keep getting idiots telling them to “wake up” all the time… They’ll be trying to sleep and then at, like, 2am someone will post in all caps on a Youtube comment or somewhere, “WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!1!!” and this upsets them because they have very sensitive ears that are hurt by all-caps shouting like that. It’s a very rude awakening for them, especially because they have to work late into the evening jumping over fences for people to count them…
And they don’t know how to just tell the idiots to stop bothering them, because they’re a little too sheepish. 😀

Move over, MyLittlePony, there’s sheeple-fiction to be written!

Mouse Farts

*sings* My little sheeple, my little sheeple~
Ah-ah-ah-AHH

kirbywarp

*sings* I used to buy into conspiracies
(My little sheeple)

Lea
Lea

The only bathroom related dreams I have are the ones where I really have to go and every bathroom I find is disgustingly dirty. It happens within other dreams. I’m barefoot too. YUCK!

When my oldest daughter was little she had nightmares about a huge dragon that would break through her window, stick its big head in and try to eat her. My husband made her a wooden sword that had “Dragon” carved into the “blade”. She slept with it under her pillow. One morning she told me that the dragon had come and that she had killed it. She said, “That’ll teach it!” She didn’t have the dream anymore.

Now her little sister sleeps with the sword under her pillow and it’s magic still works.

sunnysombrera

The author of the book (“The Sheep-Pig”) was British so I’m guessing that yes, Babe is set in Britain too.

sunnysombrera

My favourite sheeple:

He’s a sheep, but he acts like a person!

grumpyoldnurse

If I eat right and exercise and believe in myself, I never need to see a proctologist – all of my inputs have been correct, there’s no reason for a bad output.
I think that’s part of why so many of them tend towards libertarianism, too. Code’s fair, mercilessly so, and such is life and the way of the world.

Life. Is. Not. Fair.

Bad things (horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE) things happen all the time to very good people who follow teh roolz. Living clean does not immunize you against bad luck (though it may nudge the odds a bit in your favour).

Also, good things happen to “bad” people who not only ignore the rules, but actively poop all over them at every opportunity. You can nudge the odds in your favour by taking some preventative steps, but you can never eliminate all the risk.

Life is inherently risky and unfair. This ‘just world hypothesis’ nonsense has. to. stop.

At the same time, I’m not saying anyone should actively try to damage themselves with risky behaviour, or by disregarding sound health care principles. It’s just that humans are incredibly complex systems, and to think that medical science is complete or that any person can completely eliminate all risk from their lives by ‘eating right, exercising, and believing in myself’ is so bass ackwards that it defies logic.

grumpyoldnurse

As a farm kid, eating a goose with a name and friends did not seem weird to me, either. Just kind of bleak. Like most of the rest of life. (why yes, I am usually this cheerful, thankyouverymuch)

grumpyoldnurse

Obligatory Monty Python smart sheep reference:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkw2DdoskPY

Mouse Farts

Indeed. Sometimes you do everything right and things still go all to hell. And then, because there’s this assumption that if you are unsuccessful then you must deserve it (especially if you were raised in a fundamentalist household and bought into that whole “if you pray then God will save you from the Bad Things”) you walk around with this cloud of nonspecific shame, and that is fucking ridiculous.

But you guys! I have a job interview tomorrow! I got laid off a few weeks ago for ‘unspecified reasons’ (translation: general manager hit on me egregiously, I told my store manager, and COINCIDENTALLY they had too many employees, oops) and last night I was in another store cheerfully talking about product and the manager went “…are you by any chance – maybe – looking for a job…?” Even if it doesn’t work out, I feel better. It’s hard not to feel discouraged when it’s been weeks with no callbacks, but I must be doing something right if I still get spontaneous interview offers, right?

kirbywarp

Ok, I had to flesh this out.

My little sheeple, my little sheeple
Ah ah ah ahhh

(My little sheeple) I used to buy into conspiracies
(My little sheeple) ‘Til I found how fun conforming can be!

No more thinking!
Lots of friends!
A peaceful mind
It never ends!
The government
Can do no wrong,
Join me and bleat out all day long!

My little Sheeple.
Don’t forget, Emmanuel is baaaaaaaaaaad!

omg kirbywarp are you trying to kill me

now i have to go make my pony figurines (DON’T JUDGE ME, they are COLLECTIBLES) sing that

thanks a lot

contrapangloss

“…are you by any chance – maybe – looking for a job…?”

YES! YAY FOR MOUSE FARTS!

ParadoxicalIntention

Bina

Oh, feh. Teal Dear Troll should be apprised that Muslim feminism is, in fact, A Thing, and that the world is full of Muslim women who question dogma, and have been doing so for decades already. Middle Eastern women don’t need the west’s “rescuing”, they need its awareness and support. Two things conspicuously lacking from his knee-jerk racist end. He probably thinks all the US’s wars there are justified, amirite? (The reason I ask is that I can’t be bothered to go back three pages just to see his droppings.)

I’m firmly in the camp of “The United States is Not ‘First World’ and Anything You Perceive as Being a ‘First World Problem’ Can Happen Anywhere Else in the World”.

I read an interesting post on tumblr that really cemented me there.

Essentially, people in the “Third World” have the same problems that “middle-class, white feminists” fight for too. They worry about makeup and the internet and they watch television and read magazines. They worry about street harassment and violence against women too.

Everything is not just dirt and violence in “Third World Countries”, and telling white people that they need to go and fix the poor, poor brown people’s problems is fucking racist as hell. Every time we white people get involved with the affairs of other countries (save for one or two examples, and then we did it with reservation) we always manage to fuck things up for them. It shouldn’t be up to us white people to fix the problems of other people. We are not magical, all-knowing beings who can do no wrong. In reality, we tend to fuck other people’s lives up because of this bullshit “white man knows best” attitude.

So, the whole argument of “why aren’t you helping out third world countries then instead of bullying poor white men in the US?!?!?!?” is a sad, racist attempt at a derail and devaluation of the problems of white women because our Teal Deer thinks the Oppression Olympics are a Thing, and is of the opinion that we can’t care about more than one thing at once. (Because it seems like they certainly can’t.)

kirbywarp

You’re very welcome Mouse Farts, and yay!

@Contrapangloss:

That’s an unfortunate sentence to type with all caps, when you can’t parse out the proper nouns. 😛

weirwoodtreehugger

People in engage in the just world fallacy are the worst people. They use it to excuse a complete lack of empathy. I’m not even sure if they really believe it or just say that they do.

@kirbywarp

Mouse farts smell like cream cheese and sugar. Sometimes cookies. They are delightful.

weirwoodtreehugger

I’m freezing. It’s -1 Fahrenheit with a -18 wind chill right now. I was outside a couple of hours ago and still haven’t warmed. Not in a hypothermia way, I’m just chilly. The heat is on plenty high but when it’s this cold the chill gets in.

I hate winter.

@Mouse Farts:

Huh, TIL

YAY FOR MOUSE FARTS! ^_^

Tracy
Tracy

@MouseFarts

Sometimes when I’m trying to sleep, my brain does what I call “the Horrible Perspective Thing.”

OMG! Yes! This used to happen to me when I was younger and got sick, or was getting sick. I’d try to sleep but all my body parts started getting bigger and smaller at the same time. It was horrible, so sorry this happens to you. At the same time… you’re the first other person I’ve ever come across who’s had this experience so I’m kinda pleased too 🙂 I’d love to know what causes this.

This was a ways back but I wanted to comment on it… @mildlymagnificent re: inflammation and depression, yes, at least in my case. Found out I was celiac, went strictly gluten-free, and no more depression at all; it literally vanished after 3 weeks or so. I had a very cool… brain chemical rush, I suppose, which felt like what I’ve read religious people describe as god/spirit entering them or moving through them (flow of joy/ecstacy/bliss through the head and down, made me laugh out loud). To say it changed my entire life is a huge understatement. I didn’t even know that I’d had a constant low-level depression in addition to my usual variable levels, and to what I called my ‘gaping maw of gloom’ moods. Same thing happened to my sister when she went gluten-free. So… who knows, it seems to be the case for at least some of us.

Weirdly, I missed my gaping maw of doom for awhile after it vanished; I even tried to bring it on a few times, with no luck.

kittehserf - MOD

One writer saw a medieval Irish monk illuminating an incredibly erudite manuscript, so he wrote down what he saw on it. The outcome: Whey shillick ick il.

I bet that was really something Pangur Ban sneaked into the manuscript while his monk wasn’t looking. Becuase kitties.

ParadoxicalIntention

If our Teal Deer isn’t fond of dissent, why oh WHY would he come here to post something?

I mean, what better place to find dissent on your misogyny than a blog that mocks misogyny?

kittehserf - MOD

kirbywarp:

Oh yes, it was indeed. Not a lighthearted film at all, really, despite the humour. Iirc it’s what got James Cromwell seriously into animal welfare.

Emmy Rae:

It’s a mixture. It was filmed in NSW and the cast was international. It’s more or less meant to look prettified-Australian, I think. Jim Henson’s Creature Workshop did the special effects.

Mouse Farts, YAY! Fingers crossed for this job!

Mouse Farts

Thanks guys! It’s been a confidence-booster at any rate.

It’s also pretty nice to know I’m not alone in the Horrible Perspective Thing. I thought there was something wrong with me tbh XD

gillyrosebee
gillyrosebee

Woot, Mouse Farts! Congratulations!

kittehserf - MOD

I should try to find my old dream diaries. I used to have entertaining dreams back in my teens and twenties. Let’s see, what can I remember … oh, being chased by Zargo and Camilla from State of Decay … the dream cut out just as he caught me and I was wondering if I’d actually been unable to escape or not really wanted to.

contrapangloss

@Kirbywarp

…didn’t think of that. Whoops!

kittehserf - MOD

Mouse Farts:

omg kirbywarp are you trying to kill me

thanks a lot

Not only that, you’re going to have to cover them in fleece so they can be My Little Sheeple.

cupisnique

“As far as I’m concerned, that’s as much of a mental illness as someone who is driven to eat rocks (which are obviously inedible and cannot substitute for real food).”

People do in fact eat dirt and consider it to be nutritional, just not Westerners they consider it to be a pathology.

grumpyoldnurse

Good luck, Mouse Farts!!!

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

(DON’T JUDGE ME, they are COLLECTIBLES)

I’m judging you, and my judgment is that you are fantastic.

skiriki

@Bina:

Meanwhile, your nightmare sounds a lot like my awful bathroom dreams — invariably, when I look for a bathroom in my dreams, there will be something about it that makes it impossible to use: no doors, no locks on the doors, toilets too dirty or broken, or no toilet stalls at all, just a long row of outhouse seats completely exposed, and people everywhere looking at me like I’ve lost my mind. Of course, I always get that one right before I wake up needing a bathroom for real…

OMG, are we twins or what? IBS, check. Toilet dreams, check. One of the worst ones I had recently had a glass wall as a hallway-side wall. At that point, my brain decided that enough was enough, and woke me up. Cue dash to actual, real-world bathroom.

I have extremely vivid dreams, with color, sound, taste, smell, touch, sense of gravity, hunger, thirst, pleasure and pain; I get all the senses I do while awake. Basically, whenever I go to sleep, I’m just living eight to nine hours in a freakin’ surreal landscape, and then wake up to what is considered normal life. Sometimes this is fun. Sometimes not (see “trying to find a clean toilet” dream and then think of being able to smell it).

Curiously, dreams about forgetting my pants don’t exactly faze me — my attitude tends to be “well if this is a problem for someone, it is their problem, not mine — right now I’m just irritated because even if I tolerate cold rather well, I’d like some pants to ward it off, since for some reason it tends to be autumn/winter in my dreams quite often”.

I also have developed some dream markers that make me instantly go “wait, this is a dream, this is not real” about 95% of the time. Usually this is meeting my dead grandparents, and this annoys me, since yes, I would love to have a chat moment with my grandmother without it being disrupted by a rude awakening.

I have regular dream locations, such as the Vaguely Mediterranean City with Canals (I know couple of access spots to that place, that I keep looking for in my other dreams, so I know how to take a shortcut there if I like to skip a dream), but my favorite is a Lake of Thousands of Isles (accessible most of the time via Vaguely Mediterranean City, but you can also slip to it from other lakes and rivers, sometimes even via an ocean).

It is forever summer there, all tiny islands have gently bent silver willows that cast cool shade, the ground is soft and covered with non-soggy moss where you can nap safely, the lake water glimmers in sunlight (it is either a clear sky or just some clouds dotting it here and there), and best of all, you can swim forever without getting tired. Extremely soothing, and fun! Water is clear, even where reeds grow, and you can observe the critters in water (none hostile, all quite pretty or awesome).

Right now I’d like to be there, but headache is keeping me awake.