$MONEY$ a voice for men all about the menz antifeminism antifeminist women attention seeking grandiosity gross incompetence gullibility gynocracy irony alert men who should not ever be with women ever MGTOW misogyny MRA oppressed men paul elam red pill Suzanne McCarley

Paul Elam reannounces the relaunch of A Voice for Men's Possibly Still Unnamed Publishing House for Men Who Don't Write Good

Paul Elam contemplates his future as an e-book millionaire
Paul Elam contemplates his future as an e-book millionaire

How often has this happened to you? You’re reading a thoughtful blog post or comment from a Men’s Rights Activist and you find yourself thinking:

“Gosh! This post or comment on how women are a bunch of malevolent parasites/men are the real slaves if you think about it/women were never oppressed because they could just get maids to clean the house is so witty and wise. I only wish it were 50 times longer, and that I had to pay money to read it!”

Well, I’ve got good news for you: Now you can!

A Voice for Men, having already given the voiceless male gender a way to express itself online, has now launched A Publishing House for Men to give them a way to express themselves in book form!

Well, e-book form.

A Voice for Men’s new publishing house has just published its first book – well, e-book — a slim volume of thoughts on Men Going Their Own Way, written by Peter Wright of Gynocentrism.com with help from AVFM’s Paul Elam, using some material already published online!

Well, technically speaking, this is a relaunch. AVFM Press originally launched last October with the publication of this same book. But Elam decided to call a do-over. No, really.

On October 25th, you see, a bulletin on AVFM proclaimed that AVFM Press was publishing Go Your Own Way: Understanding MGTOW — an e-book it predicted would be but “the first of what will surely become a lengthy series of ebooks (and some hardcovers as well). … let’s get AVFM Press on the map as the iconic source for true red pill appetites.” (A source for appetites? I thought the source for appetites was an empty stomach?)

One day later, Elam announced that he was recalling the e-book.

What I have discovered … is that there were several procedural, legal, and formatting errors that should have been addressed before launching the book.

I made a whole bushel of lemons, folks, and the fault for that lies squarely on me.

But I do make some pretty good lemonade, which I am in the midst of doing as we speak.

I have pulled the book from Amazon Kindle for the time being, and I am removing purchase links from every place they now exist.

After the deficiencies with the product have been corrected, it will be re-launched at a level of quality that AVFM readers deserve, which is the very best possible. All the other issues will be corrected as well.

Please accept my apologies for the mistakes. This whole process of publishing is quite complicated, actually.

It is, Paul, it is.

Happily, Elam announced, the eager customers who’d hurried to buy a copy of the defective book on its first day of publication would be given a copy of the corrected book when it came out. All twelve of them.

That last bit isn’t a joke; according to Elam himself, there were literally twelve of them – less than half the number of those on AVFM’s masthead.

Elam also decided to call a do-over on AVFM Press itself – or at least its name — declaring that

AVFM Press is actually a working title for our publishing arm and will likely change very soon.

But now all the details have been sorted out, right? Well, mostly.

Yesterday’s big announcement on the launch – the real launch, this time – of AVFM’s new publishing house did not actually provide a name for the venture. At least not one that I could find. On Amazon, the publisher of the revised edition of Go Your Own Way is still listed as AVFM Press.

But never mind, because the book is getting rave reviews on Amazon!

For example, a woman named Suzy McCarley declares that the book “was worth the wait!”

Ok, so McCarley is an AVFM staffer who’s given 5-star reviews to everything she’s reviewed — from self–published books by manosphere blogger Aaron Clarey to Avalon Extra Moisturizing Fragrance Free Conditioner. But not all of the rave reviews are written by AVFM staffers under their own names. For example, a fellow calling himself xtime Past gushes:

There is great content for Men and Women of all ages. Most of red pill are apprehensive in reading this book since Paul Elam is a part of the MHRA arm of the manosphere. The read is great for MGTOW to better understand going their own way.

So I would like to congratulate AVFM’s Possibly Still Unnamed Publishing House for Men Who Don’t Write Good for getting off to such a strong start, at least if you ignore that first start that didn’t go so well.

During AVFM’s last donation drive, Elam declared that:

This year will see AVFM go into commercial ventures that will fund even more activism. I cannot go into any details at this point, but rest assured it is coming, and as with most everything else we have set out to do, we are going to pull it off. This track will ease the pressure on some of our larger donors who have always seen us through donation drives.

AVFM’s Possibly Still Unnamed Publishing House for Men Who Don’t Write Good is the first of these new money-making ventures. Because as everyone knows, a vanity publishing house that so seriously fucks up its first e-book launch that it has to do it over again two months later is pretty much guaranteed to be a massive cash-generating machine.

It kind of needs to be, as AVFM’s last donation drive (which just ended) didn’t do quite as well as Elam had hoped, at least according to this little thermometer graphic posted on AVFM.

Oops. Didn't quite clear the hurdle.
Oops. Didn’t quite clear the hurdle.

I can only assume that authors will be rushing to sign up with AVFM’s Possibly Still Unnamed Publishing House for Men Who Don’t Write Good, so that AVFM’s Possibly Still Unnamed Publishing House for Men Who Don’t Write Good can put its name (which may be changed) on their ebooks – and take a share of the profits, if any, hopefully without introducing too many formatting errors in the process.

No, I can’t see how this could possibly go wrong.

Kudos, Paul!

athenahollow

I wonder if *this* is where Milo will publish his book?

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

There really is no end to the ways he can find to fleece money out of the poor dumbasses who support him, is there?

Also, “Go Your Own Way: Understanding MGTOW ” is quite possibly the worst title I’ve ever encountered. That’s some “Mount Doom” level ran out of ideas shit right there.

slivarth

Vanity press much, AVFM?

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Yanno, I suspected that the conference chicanery might possibly strip the veil from the eyes of some of the rubes. The latest fund raiser result appears to confirm that he did himself more harm than good.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

If they’re just putting books up on Amazon for Kindle, why do authors need to go through them again? Authors are capable of self-publishing their own stuff on Amazon without giving another cut to a separate publisher, vanity or otherwise.

titianblue
titianblue

Yes, but AVFM’s Possibly Still Unnamed Publishing House for Men Who Don’t Write Good can release the PR wonder that is JB on your behalf!

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Yeeesssss … I can see where someone might want to pay AFVM a portion of the $30 in profits they are going to make from their e-book for that service.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Given AVFM’s penchant for asshole copyright infringement (and profiting off same), I fully expect to see AVFM’s Possibly Still Unnamed Publishing House for Men Who Don’t Write Good stealing a bunch of bestsellers, changing the character names to avoid lawsuits, and putting them up for sale on Amazon. Get yer discounted knockoff copy of the Da Vinci Code here!

Lea
Lea

Well, they couldn’t do any less activism.

Lea
Lea

Will AVFM’s Possibly Still Unnamed Publishing House for Men Who Don’t Write Good agree to publish JB’s novel?

Because I would love to lay eyes on that hot mess.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

I’m happy to see that the new book still has the erect road sign on its cover. They did that on purpose, right?

weirwoodtreehugger

It seems that Elam assumed his superior white maleness meant he was just inherently capable of starting a publishing house. No education or experience required. Not so much.

How do you need a manual to understand going your own way? If you don’t want to marry and procreate, you don’t. It’s not that complex. It’s almost like the whole thing is a thinly veiled excuse to hate women and obsess about us endlessly!

“Even more activism”

LOL.

Shut up Woody.

Lea
Lea

WWTH,
I still don’t get how not marrying and having kids needs a special name. It’s only the hating women part that sets MGTOWs apart from other single people who don’t have kids. Also, isn’t choosing marriage and kids still an individual’s “own way” as it is a personal choice?

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@weirwoodtreehugger:

Well, the book is basically just a collection of posts from AVFM in book form, so I wouldn’t be surprised if 90% of the content was just how terrible women are. Actually, I’m pretty sure their definition of MGTOW is mostly “men who are aware of just how terrible women are.”

I hope they have a gentle lead into the main premise of the book, though. Starting with guns blazing is going to drive away any potential mainstream readers (ironically giving them an accurate introduction to MGTOWs), and the only people who are going to enjoy the book are die-hard readers of AVFM already.

Which explains why they decided they needed to make a publishing outfit to sell an e-book through Amazon in the first place. It’s basically just one more way Elam can part his readers from their money, with the added bonus of not having to generate new material.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

Legal errors? In trying to wrap my head around this one, I’ve come up with two possibilities: Either he stole parts of it or he advocated domestic abuse/rape/paedophilia in it. Knowing Paul Aptronym, it was probably both.

marinerachel
marinerachel

Pauly sure isn’t short-up for cash.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

According to what I understand, MGTOW is supposed to entail more than just no-wife-no-kids, for which the term “lifelong bachelor” exists. Some of them seem to think it means no women in any kind of romantic context? Other times it seems to mean classifying women as not-really-human-beings, and therefore being freed from the obligation to treat them decently, which isn’t a big leap for a lot of these dudes.

To me, the quintessence of a MGTOW is a gay man, but gay men are capable of being decent to women so the guys calling themselves MGTOW don’t seem to embrace that concept at all.

leftwingfox

What, you mean there’s more to publishing than slapping your name on a manuscript and taking 10%?

Who knew?

This actually reminds me of one of the worst-published works I ever paid money for. RPG geeks might know the Palladium game “Rifts”. Well, they tried to publish a spinoff novel. The editor decided that since Rifts was the title of the IP, it needed to be capitalized. So they did a mass find-and-replace.

It’s bad enough when everyone talks about the “dimensional Rifts” that gives the game it’s name, but the author also used the word “drifted” multiple times, all of which were published as “dRifted”. The mistake was so egregious, that I honestly thought they had introduced a new slang term for teleportation.

paradoxicalintent
paradoxicalintent

athenahollow

I wonder if *this* is where Milo will publish his book?

Nah. Elam already cut ties with the #GamerGoobers because they were getting more attention than him, and he got pissy about it.

Essentially, one of the #Goobers twitted that #Shirtgate was what #Gamergate was all about, and Elam about had an aneurysm because he’d been “fighting” that particular cause for way longer than these guys! How dare they try to steal his misogyny spotlight!

Though it wouldn’t surprise me if he did try to publish the book anyways, because money.

freemage

Lea | January 2, 2015 at 10:20 am

WWTH,

Well, the claim is that the MGTOWs are seeking a lifestyle that literally eliminates all women from their view–in pretty much the same way that the KKK and others of their ilk would like to indulge in a lifestyle where they don’t have to encounter any person of color during their activities.

So, in theory, their workplaces should have no women (so they don’t have to ‘fear’ being accused of sexual harassment); they should be able to walk around, shop, vacation, etc, all without encountering women at all. Since, for the straight men amongst them (seemingly the majority), this would entail the complete end of sexual activity other than masturbation, a good part of their ‘advice’ seems to be built around trying to convince themselves that they don’t actually want sex at all. Supplant “sour grapes” with “[deliberately disgusting description of a vagina]” and you’re pretty much there.

Since the world they want is impossible, and would result in not actually even hoping to have sex, they instead try to wall off parts of life as men-only spaces, usually by claiming that those spaces have always been male-exclusive, despite any factual record to the contrary. A few of the more… enterprising MGTOWs will actually try to create new male-exclusive spaces, like the Manbook founder that was discussed a few threads ago. This goes about as well as you’d expect it to.

bodycrimes

Every so often I get MGTOW commenters on my blog, assuring me that not only are men going their own way, but that the movement is only minutes – minutes! – away from going mainstream.

But, alas, those men keep hanging around, not going their own way at all.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@bodycrimes:

But how will you miss them if they don’t keep reminding you that they aren’t there?

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

Who knew?

I guess they’d also advertise your book on the AVFM sidebar.

For the most glorious find-and-replace fuckup in history, see this:

sunnysombrera

Coming soon: Fifty Shades of Rape Apologia.

pallygirl
pallygirl

I love the name, I would make it slightly longer by changing it to this:

AVFM’s Possibly Still Unnamed Publishing House for Men Who Don’t Read or Write Good

I’m assuming the nod was to Zoolander.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@sunnysombrera:

You say it like the book hasn’t been written already.

Zolnier

Didn’t we already have Baen on its worse days for this?

leftwingfox

Arctic Ape.: Hah, I remember that. 🙂 If the Scopes trial was high drama, Dover was slapstick farce.

sunnysombrera

Miss Diketon
Miss Diketon

I think the MGTOW will only GTOW when we show that we actually are upset that they are GTOW. I mean, how can you spite someone who doesn’t really give a shit?

On that note, let me be the first:

Oh, please don’t go your own way. Come back, please. I will miss you and your alpha-maleness.

/Now will they GTOW?

Citizen Justin

I also self-publish on Amazon Kindle, and the first time one of mine came out it was full of errors, too. Unless you use an intermediary tool such as Calibre, it’s difficult to see how the books will look, plus I’m just one man reading and re-reading and hoping he’ll catch all the mistakes. Nor do most people have the luxury of an editor. You can join a novel workshop, as did I, but to read out an entire novel (~100,000 words) at one of those could take five years.

Then again Elam does have a large number of staff. Couldn’t some of them have proof-read it for him? As for the legal errors, I reckon M the Social Justice Ranger is right about him using/stealing parts of other people’s work. Maybe not advocating paedophilia and rape, though. A book can get away with pretty much anything, as Rex Feral’s ‘Hit Man; A Technical Manual for Independent Contractors’ proved.

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

sunnysombrera
“Kirby: good point. I kind of wish the series had never been written, because all the proto-rapists and misogynists are using its success to say that women love being raped/abused.”

That makes no sense so I guess men and boys have a fantasy of being killed because of call of duty? And do I have a fantasy of being eaten by dinosaurs because of Jurassic park?

sunnysombrera

Fruitloopsie: I know. That said they don’t have the best track record for discerning fantasy from reality.

Rapists and rape culture peddlars have tried to invent loopholes and excuses for years though. They even twisted the No means No campaign to tell themselves that anything that’s not a firm “No” is consent. Even if she’s blackout drunk.

Crip Dyke
Crip Dyke

Possibly Still Unnamed Publishing House for Men Who Don’t Write Good,

Are you sure this isn’t just a case of Men Writing Their Own Way?

Crip Dyke
Crip Dyke

Legal errors? In trying to wrap my head around this one,

Well, there’s the possibility that they are relying on DRM for certain copyright protections. It turns out that breaking encryption is illegal in the US (unless, say, you are the US). But exactly what constitutes breaking encryption is a particular legal question. So using one publishing tool protects you, using another doesn’t.

Of course, you still have the copyright itself, but that allows fair use. If you don’t want anyone to be able to exercise fair use (say, to fisk it, or just laugh at it) you publish it in a format where copying and pasting requires a decryption process. Then, if anyone quotes you, you claim that as proof that they decrypted it (b/c they probably did – who would type all that shit out by hand? – but of course they may also have printed a screen shot and scanned it with OCR…though depending on the legal definition even that my count as “decrypting” if it is considered “bypassing encryption”).

Since all the big tech companies have reason to want limits on other people decrypting things (since they’ve spent loads in development of all kinds of apps/databases/content and want to be able to charge you for it rather than have you figure out how it works and then just make something similar without paying…or just outright stealing their shit and stripping out any code that limits your use, if you’re entirely unethical), they’ll respect a notice that demands takedown of content that was produced via violation of that law.

I’m not sure how that work in the US, I study law in Canada, but I’m sure that there’s a process for preventing/stopping the publication of something decrypted (or acquired by bypassing encryption) since there was that big kerfuffle over DeCSS.

This is just one example of how clicking a box on publishing software to use/not use a given tool results in long-term consequences for your legal rights and your practical ability to fuck with others using the law.

I don’t know what they fucked up, but there are so many options, it’s not at all surprising that a fuck up happened.

Sissy
Sissy

“AFVM’s Possibly Still Unnamed Publishing House for Men Who Don’t Write Good”

I think that should be the name, actually. Reminds me of that facepalm worthy time when some MRAs claimed that they didn’t send Anita Sarkeesian the death threat that caused her to cancel her speaking appearance… because “they don’t write like that, the feminists did it for attention!”.

Or… “don’t write good”, actually. Yeah. They don’t write good.

@sunnysombrera:

Unfortunately, that pretty much IS the name of that crummy series. Oh, and count me in as another person who wished that that series never existed for the same reasons that you mentioned.

I’m actually hoping that the movie bombs next month, but that’s unfortunately unlikely. *sigh*

ceebarks
ceebarks

Aw, now I wanna watch Zoolander. There’s definitely a low-budget movie or a TV show in the manosphere/alt-right somewhere… at Cinzia’s blog they got to casting it as a soap opera and I laughed so hard I laughed til I cried a little.

ceebarks
ceebarks

Make that “I laughed til I cried a little.” Gosh, maybe I can be an extra… a semiliterate housewife with a series of increasingly incoherent picket signs standing in the background, or something.

Falconer

@Leftwingfox: Rifts is the best RPG nobody plays. Seriously, there are some great ideas there. Problem is the mechanics, and how if you don’t have weapons capable of penetrating tank armor you’re screwed. That find-and replace story is awesome and embarrassing at the same time.

And, @Arctic Ape, I remember Dover and the cdesign proponentsists!

laughnwitch (@laughnwitch)

Boy these people are really a piece of work!

Anenome
Anenome

@ David Futrelle

Do you think the failure to raise the target amount for the fundraiser is significant? Is this the first time? Why do you think it’s happened?

Citizen Justin

[blockquote/]But none of this is an excuse to not meet the minimum standards of the industry. A reader has a right to expect a book to be properly formatted and free of errors. Either you can go through an editor or you can do it yourself, but it has to get done or else you don’t have a publishable book.

It ruins self-pub for everyone when people throw up error-riddled junk on the logic that self-pubbers can’t be held to the same standards as traditionally published books.[blockquote]

Well, fortunately I did quickly realise this and issued a free update to all… sorry, both the people who’d bought the book at that point. And the mistakes hardly made the thing unreadable. They were things like a lack of notches in the progress bar along the bottom for the chapters, actually a fairly common mistake even among professional publishers. Or use-of-words things that only the book’s author would notice. As for Elam’s work, like any other commenter I’m only guessing at what was wrong with it and if he had to withdraw it entirely that implies it was rather more serious.

HumourlessRadicalFeminazi
HumourlessRadicalFeminazi

“But how can you miss them if they don’t keep reminding you they aren’t there?” – bwahaha kirbywarp!

And 50 shades! Oh my God! I’m reading the recaps on das-sporking and the obvious, repeated wrongness of that relationship dynamic makes me that mix of furious and beyond sorrowful that there should probably be a name for. As there should be a word for the mix of horror, pity, fear and instant defensive hilarity I get when I read of Pauly or jb’s latest.

PS. Some film protests are being discussed over on @50shadesabuse – I’ve seen Berlin and London mentioned, if anyone hates them as much i do.

Miss Andry

@pallygirl

Oh snap, you beat me to it! I was going to suggest he start the “Paul Elam Center For Misogynists Who Can’t Write Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too.”

HumourlessRadicalFeminazi
HumourlessRadicalFeminazi

Ooh, maybe they were waiting for that sculpture of Pauly and woody spraying each other with gasoline to be erected?

pallygirl
pallygirl

@Miss Andry, yes it’s not just the writing that they’re bad at. Lifting them up to mediocrity levels of competence would be an achievement.

LOL!

zoon echon logon
zoon echon logon

@sunnysombrera

It’s odd that no one ever concludes that all the femdom porn on the internet and pro dominatrices in all major cities means all men secretly want to be controlled by women.

christwriter

De-lurking for the first time because…*snerk*

Another self-pubber here. This really, REALLY is the bare minimum, errors and all. Given the mistakes I’ve noted (the double-cover at the start being the big one) I can probably find the tutorial AVFM used to set up the .html file for conversion.

However, you have to feel some kind of sympathy for them. Most of the decent freelance editors, typesetters and so forth are women. If they put forth the effort needed to make a good product they might have to *gasp!* PAY WOMEN to make things look good.

In all seriousness, though…this is like Published Author: The Role Playing Game. Self-pub is fun, and good if you have the contacts and time to make your stuff be successful. But it takes a lot of research and an awful, awful lot of work to manage more than the bare minimum, and that, in turn, usually requires you to park your ego and preconceptions long enough to ask for help.

I do not see these fine gentlemen doing that. Ever.

paradoxicalintent
paradoxicalintent

@HRF

I’ve also heard a lot of people are planning to boycott the movie as well. As soon as a group I frequent another forum (Fittingly, it’s a Twilight forum) with heard, they were all talking about boycotting it.

I could write a thesis on why 50Shades is terrible and why it should be loathed by now. I mean, the author’s actions alone are enough.

She called Mara Wilson (the lovely woman who played Matilda in the movie when she was a small, lovely child) a “sad fuck”, and then blocked her on twitter because Mara said that her books were terrible and full of abuse, and was offering up good substitutes.

In fact, she was blocking anyone who dared to make such a statement about her precious series, except some don’t get a reply.

So nice to see she picked up some pointers from Stephanie Meyer on how to handle being a “big time writer”.

1 2 3 8