#gamergate a voice for men antifeminism antifeminist women attention seeking bullying entitled babies evil SJWs FemRAs gaslighting gross incompetence gullibility harassment hypocrisy irony alert judgybitch misogyny MRA playing the victim rape culture reactionary bullshit straw feminists straw futrelle twitter

Janet "JudgyBitch" Bloomfield tries to lie her way out of a Twitter suspension; here's proof of her targeted abuse

Screenshot of one of Janet Bloomfield's suspended accounts
Slightly censored screenshot of one of Janet Bloomfield’s suspended accounts

Janet “JudgyBitch” Bloomfield may not have mastered the fine art of public relations in the real world, but amongst those who live in imaginary worlds of their own making she is something of a PR genius.

Bloomfield, A Voice for Men’s “Director of Social Media,” was recently booted from Twitter (again) for “targeted abuse” — evidently her harassment of feminist writer Jessica Valenti, which included making up inflammatory fake quotations and attributing them to her.

Bloomfield, who once claimed (apparently at least semi-seriously) that a previous Twitter suspension was punishment for her posting a picture of a wedding cake, has responded with a petulant note to Twitter and a similarly petulant open letter to the world, insisting that she’s an innocent woman who’s been railroaded by an evil feminist cabal.

She is, of course, full of it, but she’s picked up support from several online publications popular with the reality-challenged: Alex Jones’ loopy conspiracy megasite Infowars.com, GamerGate propaganda hub The Ralph Retort, and right-wing garbage site The Gateway Pundit. She’s got her Twitter followers in a tizzy, and they are filling up my Twitter timeline with their usual brand of nonsense.

Bloomfield claims, in a Facebook posting that’s been uncritically reposted by her supporters in the imaginary-world media, that she’s a blameless victim of a “harassment campaign” inspired by, well, me.

No, really. Here’s what she wrote, apparently with a straight face:

My most recent suspension is the result of me tweeting the actual words of Guardian journalist Jessica Valenti back to her. Prompted by @davidfutrelle, a harassment campaign to report me for spam/abuse was undertaken by users who appear to be under the impression that I made up the Valenti quotes and falsely attributed them to her. This is not true.

It takes a certain amount of chutzpah to make this claim, given that Bloomfield has not only made up numerous false and inflammatory quotes she claimed were written by Valenti, but has also gone on to publicly gloat that her falsehoods were causing Valenti distress. The fake quotes were merely one egregious episode in an months-long campaign of targeted abuse directed at Valenti.

Here’s a screenshot of four fake Valenti quotes that Bloomfield tweeted last August. (I have helpfully labeled the ones that are fake; see here for details.)

jbfakequotestwitter2

More recently, Bloomfield Tweeted yet another fake Valenti quote that has been making the rounds in Men’s Rights circles for months. (The red scrawls on the screenshot are mine.)

jbinspireasdeaththreatannnotated2

See here for more details.

Though none of these quotes sound even remotely like anything that Valenti would ever say, many of Bloomfield’s followers had no trouble believing they were real, and in both instances the fake quotes inspired harassment and abuse directed at Valenti.

Back in August, Bloomfield seemed proud as punch that her fake quotes were causing difficulties for Valenti. In a posting on her blog (which I’ve archived here), Bloomfield gleefully wrote:

So when Jess posted that picture, I needed to goad her into replying to me directly so I wouldn’t violate Twitter’s spamming rules. I used Poe’s Law to attribute a few false but utterly plausible quotes to her, and sure enough, she replied.     Jess is not terribly smart.     Now Twitter is a little outraged at Jess’ callous indifference to the suffering of men and boys and she is catching a bit of hell. Predictably, she is having a big victim party and sulking.  It was just a joke, after all.

And she added, for good measure:

Jess is not having a good day, and it looks like it will be getting worse before it gets better.     Much worse.     Awwww. Too bad, Jess. Sucks to be a grown-up and have to own your shit, doesn’t it?

It’s not clear to me how Valenti having to deal with harassment caused by Bloomfield libeling her is an example of Valenti “having to own her shit,” given that the shit in question is not actually hers.

Bloomfield also pulled a similar stunt with a screenshot of an obviously fake Tweet ostensibly from GamerGate boogeywoman Anita Sarkeesian; it, too, inspired harassment against Bloomfield’s target.

Bloomfield has helped to inspire and direct campaigns of harassment against other women as well, including one school teacher she accused, with absolutely no evidence, of trying to shut down AVFM’s conference with death threats. She has also repeatedly libeled me. In all of these cases she used Twitter essentially as an amplifier of hate.

These tactics are pretty much the definition of “targeted abuse.” And “targeted abuse” is what Twitter gave as the reason for her most recent suspension, according to a screenshot that Bloomfield has herself posted on her blog.

But Bloomfield is attempting to convince the world that she’s been suspended for quoting Valenti accurately. In her posts on her suspension, she refers to one instance in which she did indeed quote Valenti more or less accurately – as if that somehow makes up for her fake quotes.

I’m no lawyer, but I’m pretty sure that Bloomfield announcing that not everything she’s said about Valenti is a malicious lie wouldn’t be much of a defense against a libel case.

But, of course, amongst her reality-challenged fans, Bloomfield’s spin has carried the day. Indeed, the headline on the Infowars post detailing Bloomfield’s imaginary victimization declares baldly that:

Twitter Bans #WomenAgainstFeminism Founder For Saying Christmas is NOT Oppressive To Women Account erased for quoting radical feminist's own wordsIt seems rather telling that the theInfowars “reporter” who wrote that post touts his Bachelor’s degree in Creative Writing from Nottingham Trent University in his Infowars bio. In this case, though, he merely repeated and amplified Bloomfield’s own fictions.

Speaking of which, Bloomfield also claims that “[m]y account has never tweeted abuse.” This is also patent bullshit.

Her peculiar wording may be a way to elide the fact that she used the official Twitter account for A Voice for Men’s conference last summer to call a bunch of people “whores.”

But the fact is she used her now-suspended @JudgyBitch1 Twitter account to post stuff much worse than this. In addition to abusive tweets directed at Valenti (like this salacious one), she also told one rape survivor [TRIGGER WARNING]

Bu3-QppIAAAliKt Bu3-2UCCcAAtFOk

Bloomfield’s attempts to portray herself as the innocent victim of a witchhunt are especially ironic, given how carefully she’s cultivated her “mean girl” image. She attacks feminists – mostly women – with the malicious glee of a born bully, and mocks those who point out her lies and cruelty, using this picture as the profile pic for one of her Twitter accounts.

3cedba6acd475132befc5c2b69d3456bb00d1562On her blog, which is often worse than her Twitter account ever was, she blamed the underage victims of Jimmy Savile’s sexual predations for exploiting him, and declared the 16-year-old victim of gang rape in Steubenville a “dumb whore.”

The woman who calls herself “Judgy Bitch” now finds herself being judged for her vindictive, bullying behavior, and doesn’t much like it.

NOTE: If anyone has screenshots of other abusive tweets from JB that I have missed, please email me with them or post them in the comments below; I may want to add more to the post or use them for a followup post.

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

Whenever I see JB I think of this

Herman Fethez (@HermanFethez)

“I’m no lawyer, but I’m pretty sure that Bloomfield announcing that not everything she’s said about Valenti is a malicious lie would be much of a defense against a libel case.”

Need another instance of the word NOT in there somewhere.

Also, I watched what I think was her first Youtube video a while back when went on and on about what poor life-choices she had made and characterized herself on that basis as not being very intelligent.

I took her word for it and haven’t paid much attention to her since.

pallygirl
pallygirl

So she, the anti-feminist special snowflake, is getting MRAs to white knight for her?

The stupid, it burns.

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

Does this count as gaslighting? Lying about her past behavior to make her look like she did no wrong and her victims are overreacting?

It may work better when the abuser is actually in a relationship with their victims, though.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Aww, JB has to own her (actual) shit and suddenly that is totes unfair. That’s only a fair statement when she’s telling someone else to own their (invented) shit. I am so, so shocked.

Linux
Linux

So yeah women can have CONSESUAL casual sex, and she calls them whores. Women can be raped, and she calls them ‘dumb’ whores.

Basically all women are whores no matter what.

She never blamed rapists or men who enjoy casual sex on a regular basis…

Oh these oppressed poor men!

But I have to admit that she choosed the right name for herself, she is truly a bitch.

I just hope that the steubenville rape-victim or the other victims NEVER reads judgybitch’s article about them.

I feel sad for her kids. No one should live with a person like Janet Bloomfield in one house. I ask myself is she would blame her own daughters for being raped? Horrible…oouucch

Cyberwulf
Cyberwulf

Sounds like she should take the advice she scrawled across her profile pic up there. OMG ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES, OH NO

weirwoodtreehugger

She’s a wannabe Ann Coulter. Pathetic.

andiexist
andiexist

She… said… WHAT to a rape victim?

Seriously? How did *that* not get her suspended already? Why did it take a libel campaign? O_O

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

Even though it’s done some good in the past, Twitter is essentially a hate site these days.

itsabeast
itsabeast

It’s usually a bad idea to diagnose people based on their public behavior (especially when not one doesn’t have the relevant professional expertise) but I think I’m pretty safe in saying she’s a sociopath.

Melyanna

Good lord, she is disgusting!

FifthInterval

What’s amazing to me is that she doesn’t know the difference between being a badass and just being a garden-variety hypocritical asshole.

andiexist
andiexist

So they suspended her… and then unsuspended her? So this is the second time that that particular account has been suspended?

Why does Janet Bloomfield hate other women so much, anyway? Especially female rape victims? What makes her think that being raped is a crime worthy of harassment and vitriol? Why do horrible people like this have to exist?

Why can’t we lock Bloomers here in a room with totally-a-feminist-not-a-feminist C.H Sohmmers?

Criticaldragon1177

Speaking of sexism guys. Check this out. I hadn’t even heard about it, until today. I think David should do a post on this!

‘Manbook’ founder threatens lives of women who sign up for his men-only Facebook clone

Kootiepatra

@andiexist: As I understand it, she created a new account to make up for having her original one suspended. Which I’m pretty sure runs against Twitter’s TOS.

I may be forgetting something head-desky along the way, but I believe that’s the source of the “again”.

andiexist
andiexist

@Kootiepatra

No, I get that part. She’s done that a zillion times. David just said that she’d only been temporarily been suspended for the “calling a rape victim a wh*re a few times” thing. I think. Unless I completely misread. >_<

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@Criticaldragon1177:

Yeah, I saw that too! I had a couple posts in the holiday open thread about it. The founder is our old friend, Peter-Andrew: Nolan (c), now apparently with a new name!

OT:

That’s an impressive resume of hatred. Where does she find the energy with that novel she’s been working on and all the other stuff?

But she’s got a pretty obvious MO: throw out mounds and mounds of crap mixed with a few harmless tweets, then pretend it was the harmless tweets that everyone gets upset with you about. Slimey as all hell.

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

Andiexist
She wants attention and money that’s all
We really need a law here to send people to jail for garbage like this not banning off of Twitter I mean jail.

Mewens
Mewens

In her defense

I got nothin’, sorry.

Criticaldragon1177

@Kirbywarp

Glad I’m not the only one here who saw that story about the stupid “Man book” and its misogynistic founder. I’m still hoping David has something to say about it through. I also alerted him via twitter in case he doesn’t see it here and still doesn’t know about it yet. I doubt he sees every single comment posted on his blog.

kittehserf - MOD

Yeah, I saw that Manbook thing too. Mr Fakename Copyright Troy Gold really is an idiot. Why doesn’t he just use his super manly mind powers – you know, the ones he used to stop that pack of slavering wild dogs attacking him – to stop all the ebil wimmins joining his little site?

Inez Milholland
Inez Milholland

Yeah, no. I’m a bitch, and this *thing,* this unperson as far as I’m concerned, completely sullies the good name of “bitch.”

kittehserf - MOD

Oh – CriticalDragon, I emailed David about the story when it appeared on RS yesterday. 🙂

kittehserf - MOD

This is a bitch. Janet Bloomfield is just a piece of human scum. No way does she rate as a bitch.

laughnwitch (@laughnwitch)

@itsabeast I think you hit the nail on head with that. She has no conscience and neither does Paul Elam!

bodycrimes

After your last post on this woman, I went and had a look at her blog. She mentions:

1. trying to get work as a professor of business. After some excitement – people think she’s brilliant! – she suddenly goes quiet on this ambition.

2. working on a PhD. Job offers galore! Really hard stuff! Then she goes quiet.

3. working on a novel. Gets agent! Agent really excited! Then plug gets pulled.

She’s clearly trying to be a bigwig in some field of endeavour. So far, writing vile tweets is the only thing that’s working for her.

Miss Andry

I’m kind of hoping Bloomfield gets sued. It’d be completely justified.

sunnysombrera

bodycrimes: Or its possible that she’s making all of it up, seeing as she is a proven compulsive liar.

sunnysombrera

Miss Andry: that would be heavenly justice. Along with Paul Elam for his trick White Ribbon site.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

I think the online harassment of feminists is her job at AVFM. It is a form of public relations I suppose in that it is indeed public and though the relations are bad no good awful and every way horrible for the target, it works for them to have a woman do it.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

A (probable) JB tweet mentioned on David’s Twitter:

… What? I don’t think even Glenn Beck’s blackboard could make a connection between New Years’ and feminism. Not even getting into the “Rape hoax” bit in case it makes me puke on the keyboard.

kmcorby

I think this woman is mentally ill. What else could explain the obsessive vindictiveness?

weirwoodtreehugger

Assholishness. That’s what explains her behavior. Mental illness doesn’t make you act like that.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Abuse is not the result of mental illness. It is the result of a world view.
You can learn more about it in Lundy Bancroft’s book Why Does He DO That. While it mainly focuses on male abusers the information about styles and tactics is applicable to all abusers.

sunnysombrera

@kmcorby

I’m really really tired of people linking senseless abuse with mental illness. 9/10 it’s without evidence. Please don’t do that again, because the facts are that mentally ill people are way way more likely to hurt themselves than hurt others, and are also more likely to BE hurt by others.

Meanwhile there are sane people in this world who abuse because they like doing it. Nothing else. There are some truly sick and evil people out there and mental illness has nothing to do with their behaviour, their choice of rotten attitude does.

childrenofthebroccoli

I emailed David about the Manbook thing too after I saw it on Jezebel. I didn’t realize it was Peter-Andrew: Nolan though.

@M the Social Justice Ranger: The only connection I can think of is that rape culture and patriarchy make feminists sad, so the fact that we’re happy about New Years means that we were lying about rape and patriarchy, because it is impossible to be happy about some things and sad/angry about other things? I don’t think JB understands how emotions work.

chaltab
chaltab

It’s totally crazy to blame evil on mental illness. (C wat I did there?)

Even when my anxiety disorder made me almost suicidal, I still had enough empathy to care that taking my own life would hurt my family. Janet Bloomfield is just a terrible human being and I hope someone sues her ass off.

Shalimar
Shalimar

By job, does she actually get paid anything by AVFM? The way I understood it, Elam gives titles out to lots of regular contributors so they can feel important but he is the only one who actually gets to spend the donation money.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

I am guessing that her efforts are worth a tax write off even if he doe not pay her since he has registered his grift as a 501c3. Or did he not? Am I mistaken about that?

Fred_the_Dog

OMG, so sorry about anyone she knows in RL. She’s an evil sh*t, no doubt about it.

Having spent a number of years working with people who had a mental illness (which is pretty darn prevalent, BTW), they were just people. People who were good, bad, and everything in between, just like people who get pneumonia, or people who have strokes, or people who aren’t even sick at all. Sometimes people with a chronic illness might be crankier sometimes than they might otherwise be (and sometimes the opposite, or no change at all), but I can’t say I’d blame them if they are. I’m cranky sometimes, and all I have is arthritis.

I don’t know why people like to “other” evil people, as though they couldn’t possible be held accountable for it; why not just call them evil? Evil doesn’t have to be some big grand thing, it can be a banal bully, just like JB.

bodycrimes

I DO wonder why she does it – for the lulz? Because ‘Janet Bloomfield’ must be perfectly aware that if she ever lets her real name slip, there goes her chance of any kind of career. Unless she thinks she can parlay this silliness into an Ann Coulter-style career?

The problem Ms ‘Bloomfield’ will face, of course, is that Coulter is more than just a vile mouth. She’s a vile mouth with a fairly substantial CV, as hard to believe as it is. What’s JudgyBitch got, apart from some notoriety in a dark corner of the web?

Pocket Nerd

The core strategy for modern reactionary politics seems to be “A lie, if repeated loudly enough, trumps the truth.”

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

Linux, please don’t use sexist slurs here. It’s against the comments policy, and also it’s pretty rude.

sunnysombrera

Fred the Dog: Ironically enough I’ve just finished watching Se7en on TV, and the reason why people like to “other” evil? As John Doe said, it’s more comfortable.

seraph4377

@ wordspinner – Yes, this is pretty classic gaslighting. If she could successfully hide the evidence of her original libels, rather than just try to establish plausible deniability, it would be a textbook example.

Everyone should see the original 1944 Gaslight movie (keep your eye out for the 19-year-old Angela Lansbury!). Improved technology aside, it gives perfect examples of mind game techniques that are still in use today. I swear, it should be a training movie for spotting red flags for emotional abuse.

Lea
Lea

I feel sad for her kids.

I feel sorry for anyone who has to spend time around her, her kids especially.

Yeah, the novel, professorship, business, etc. all sound as made up as the “quotes” she attributed to Valenti. She claims to be a “professional” PR rep as if calling women whores on the internet is a legitimate job and one she is good at. She’s just another howling asshat on Twitter who frequents a hate site and rattles on about people she despises for no reason on her shitty blog. She isn’t well acquainted with the truth.

For someone who claims to find contentment in her life as a homemaker, she sure seems to want people to believe she does something else with her time. As shitty as she is at everything else she claims to be awesome at, I have serious misgivings about her skills in that area too.

This is a woman who used baking a simple little cake as a reason to insult other people’s baking, as if she had some special abilities in the kitchen. The cake she was so proud of was fugly. Then again, she likes to insult other women’s appearances (rape victims even. For the love of…) and damn. That not a road she should go down.

Two words: hay hair

I doubt there is anything she does that isn’t tainted by her ugly attitude. The only thing that seems to giver her any jollies at all is being as nasty and dishonest as possible. Why does she go out of her way to harm women who have been raped and to direct as much harassment as possible onto other women? Why does she tell so many lies? Is it jealousy that other women really are getting degrees, writing books and having careers? Is it because if she can’t be happy she doesn’t want anyone else to be either? Is it because as a completely unexceptional and not terribly bright person she feels this is the only way she can feel validation? Does she enjoy the power it gives her over angry men when she sics them on other women like pet dogs by lying to them? Does she think she’s pulling one over on them and that makes her clever? Does she think fooling and manipulating idiots makes her a mastermind? Is making the puppets dance the only entertainment she gets?

Honestly, I think she just gets her kicks being abusive and only from being abusive. I wouldn’t want to take a walk around that woman’s mind. I have a feeling it would be like dipping a toe in the Bog of Eternal Stench. I’d never feel clean again.

Inez Milholland
Inez Milholland

Damn, @Lea. That take down is *BRILLIANT.*

Fred_the_Dog

Sunnysombrera, you’re probably right. Othering evil then allows one to ignore the evil within, instead of trying to find those impulses and refocus that energy some other way.

1 2 3 5