#gamergate a voice for men antifeminism antifeminist women attention seeking bullying entitled babies evil SJWs FemRAs gaslighting gross incompetence gullibility harassment hypocrisy irony alert judgybitch misogyny MRA playing the victim rape culture reactionary bullshit straw feminists straw futrelle twitter

Janet "JudgyBitch" Bloomfield tries to lie her way out of a Twitter suspension; here's proof of her targeted abuse

Screenshot of one of Janet Bloomfield's suspended accounts
Slightly censored screenshot of one of Janet Bloomfield’s suspended accounts

Janet “JudgyBitch” Bloomfield may not have mastered the fine art of public relations in the real world, but amongst those who live in imaginary worlds of their own making she is something of a PR genius.

Bloomfield, A Voice for Men’s “Director of Social Media,” was recently booted from Twitter (again) for “targeted abuse” — evidently her harassment of feminist writer Jessica Valenti, which included making up inflammatory fake quotations and attributing them to her.

Bloomfield, who once claimed (apparently at least semi-seriously) that a previous Twitter suspension was punishment for her posting a picture of a wedding cake, has responded with a petulant note to Twitter and a similarly petulant open letter to the world, insisting that she’s an innocent woman who’s been railroaded by an evil feminist cabal.

She is, of course, full of it, but she’s picked up support from several online publications popular with the reality-challenged: Alex Jones’ loopy conspiracy megasite Infowars.com, GamerGate propaganda hub The Ralph Retort, and right-wing garbage site The Gateway Pundit. She’s got her Twitter followers in a tizzy, and they are filling up my Twitter timeline with their usual brand of nonsense.

Bloomfield claims, in a Facebook posting that’s been uncritically reposted by her supporters in the imaginary-world media, that she’s a blameless victim of a “harassment campaign” inspired by, well, me.

No, really. Here’s what she wrote, apparently with a straight face:

My most recent suspension is the result of me tweeting the actual words of Guardian journalist Jessica Valenti back to her. Prompted by @davidfutrelle, a harassment campaign to report me for spam/abuse was undertaken by users who appear to be under the impression that I made up the Valenti quotes and falsely attributed them to her. This is not true.

It takes a certain amount of chutzpah to make this claim, given that Bloomfield has not only made up numerous false and inflammatory quotes she claimed were written by Valenti, but has also gone on to publicly gloat that her falsehoods were causing Valenti distress. The fake quotes were merely one egregious episode in an months-long campaign of targeted abuse directed at Valenti.

Here’s a screenshot of four fake Valenti quotes that Bloomfield tweeted last August. (I have helpfully labeled the ones that are fake; see here for details.)

jbfakequotestwitter2

More recently, Bloomfield Tweeted yet another fake Valenti quote that has been making the rounds in Men’s Rights circles for months. (The red scrawls on the screenshot are mine.)

jbinspireasdeaththreatannnotated2

See here for more details.

Though none of these quotes sound even remotely like anything that Valenti would ever say, many of Bloomfield’s followers had no trouble believing they were real, and in both instances the fake quotes inspired harassment and abuse directed at Valenti.

Back in August, Bloomfield seemed proud as punch that her fake quotes were causing difficulties for Valenti. In a posting on her blog (which I’ve archived here), Bloomfield gleefully wrote:

So when Jess posted that picture, I needed to goad her into replying to me directly so I wouldn’t violate Twitter’s spamming rules. I used Poe’s Law to attribute a few false but utterly plausible quotes to her, and sure enough, she replied.     Jess is not terribly smart.     Now Twitter is a little outraged at Jess’ callous indifference to the suffering of men and boys and she is catching a bit of hell. Predictably, she is having a big victim party and sulking.  It was just a joke, after all.

And she added, for good measure:

Jess is not having a good day, and it looks like it will be getting worse before it gets better.     Much worse.     Awwww. Too bad, Jess. Sucks to be a grown-up and have to own your shit, doesn’t it?

It’s not clear to me how Valenti having to deal with harassment caused by Bloomfield libeling her is an example of Valenti “having to own her shit,” given that the shit in question is not actually hers.

Bloomfield also pulled a similar stunt with a screenshot of an obviously fake Tweet ostensibly from GamerGate boogeywoman Anita Sarkeesian; it, too, inspired harassment against Bloomfield’s target.

Bloomfield has helped to inspire and direct campaigns of harassment against other women as well, including one school teacher she accused, with absolutely no evidence, of trying to shut down AVFM’s conference with death threats. She has also repeatedly libeled me. In all of these cases she used Twitter essentially as an amplifier of hate.

These tactics are pretty much the definition of “targeted abuse.” And “targeted abuse” is what Twitter gave as the reason for her most recent suspension, according to a screenshot that Bloomfield has herself posted on her blog.

But Bloomfield is attempting to convince the world that she’s been suspended for quoting Valenti accurately. In her posts on her suspension, she refers to one instance in which she did indeed quote Valenti more or less accurately – as if that somehow makes up for her fake quotes.

I’m no lawyer, but I’m pretty sure that Bloomfield announcing that not everything she’s said about Valenti is a malicious lie wouldn’t be much of a defense against a libel case.

But, of course, amongst her reality-challenged fans, Bloomfield’s spin has carried the day. Indeed, the headline on the Infowars post detailing Bloomfield’s imaginary victimization declares baldly that:

Twitter Bans #WomenAgainstFeminism Founder For Saying Christmas is NOT Oppressive To Women Account erased for quoting radical feminist's own wordsIt seems rather telling that the theInfowars “reporter” who wrote that post touts his Bachelor’s degree in Creative Writing from Nottingham Trent University in his Infowars bio. In this case, though, he merely repeated and amplified Bloomfield’s own fictions.

Speaking of which, Bloomfield also claims that “[m]y account has never tweeted abuse.” This is also patent bullshit.

Her peculiar wording may be a way to elide the fact that she used the official Twitter account for A Voice for Men’s conference last summer to call a bunch of people “whores.”

But the fact is she used her now-suspended @JudgyBitch1 Twitter account to post stuff much worse than this. In addition to abusive tweets directed at Valenti (like this salacious one), she also told one rape survivor [TRIGGER WARNING]

Bu3-QppIAAAliKt Bu3-2UCCcAAtFOk

Bloomfield’s attempts to portray herself as the innocent victim of a witchhunt are especially ironic, given how carefully she’s cultivated her “mean girl” image. She attacks feminists – mostly women – with the malicious glee of a born bully, and mocks those who point out her lies and cruelty, using this picture as the profile pic for one of her Twitter accounts.

3cedba6acd475132befc5c2b69d3456bb00d1562On her blog, which is often worse than her Twitter account ever was, she blamed the underage victims of Jimmy Savile’s sexual predations for exploiting him, and declared the 16-year-old victim of gang rape in Steubenville a “dumb whore.”

The woman who calls herself “Judgy Bitch” now finds herself being judged for her vindictive, bullying behavior, and doesn’t much like it.

NOTE: If anyone has screenshots of other abusive tweets from JB that I have missed, please email me with them or post them in the comments below; I may want to add more to the post or use them for a followup post.

opium4themasses

@Falconer I am just going to keep saying ARRRRtillery loudly enough to make my cat thinks (knows?) I am a weirdo for 10 minutes or so.

kittehserf - MOD

PoM:

I have no doubts that the d100-chart method would improve whatever JB is trying to shit out.

::snerk:: True, there are some challenges that are just too great!

Even a townful of flying pirates couldn’t improve her stuff.

Falconer:

I’m imagining a town that flies around and attacks other towns for their public works, green spaces, monuments, and holiday decorations, plus anything else that catches their fancy. Like the ornamental red brickwork between gutter and sidewalk my hometown installed a few years ago.

And what does this town bombard recalcitrant donor towns with? Why, ordinance, of course.

::dies::

Please to accept this shiny gold internet with added bon-bons and scented candles.

opium4themasses:

::dies::

If a pirate town gets big enough, does it become a pirate planet?

kittehserf - MOD

LOL!

I hope the Captain isn’t like theirs – or Queen Xanxia, for that matter.

opium4themasses

Well there is the Pirate Township, the Pirate burrrgh, then if a few smaller ones join with a larger one you get a Pirate Urrrrrban Centerrrr. When those start joining you get an ARRRRchipelago, and a few of those make a FedARRRation,

I’m done. just… done.

kittehserf - MOD

comment image

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

… you’re not wrong.

LOL LOL LOL

Lea
Lea

Unable to find the evil feminists JB claims we all are she’s had to go and invent one.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

The bit you quoted seems rather autobiographical to me. I wonder when she switches from one narrator to another if they all end up sounding exactly like her.

proxieme
proxieme

I always figured that women are better at working through discomfort partially because we’re used to carrying on while we have our periods/PMS and feel crappy. I also think it’s socialization. Women are taught to put others first and themselves last.

As problematic as some societal attitudes towards menstruation have been/are, I’ve often imagined menstruation isolation situations evolving something like this:

“Oh, yeah – me? I’m *so unclean* right now, you don’t even know. I’ll mess up your prayers, your ceremonies – EVERYTHING. You’re right, you’re right – I really *should* go into this quiet hit with no men or children for a few days and craft/perform exponentially lighter labor than usual. Totes.”

Victoria

I genuinely don’t understand female MRAs. Do they not get that the men they’re supporting will turn on them in heartbeat if they wind up in a disagreement? Do they not get that they aren’t the exception and anything they do that the men disagree with will be blamed on the fact that they are women (and therefore inferior to men from the MRA perspective)?

This reminds me of a woman I knew in college. She was in the religious conservative anti-feminist set with a bunch of guys and she just kept insisting that it was okay, because women all really WANT to be stay at home moms with dozens of babies, etc.so we don’t NEED equality. Except that she was quite clear that SHE didn’t want that out of life. I just wanted to say to her “You know, to those guys you hang around with, you aren’t the exception, right? That when they say that women should be at home, pregnant, in the kitchen, they mean you, too? Agreeing with them isn’t going to let you opt out. Meanwhile, I’m a feminist and I want you to have whatever life you want for yourself. Because that’s what I want for myself, too. Self-determination.” I’m sorry if that was tangental, but it’s a weird mindset that I genuinely don’t get.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

B/c I have to go to work Real Soon Now:

-it’s kinda immaterial whether what’s spurring her behavior is a mental illness or her idea of fun…because she does not see her behavior as problematic.
Mental health interventions are done at the behest of the person, unless that person is a violence risk( kill self or others).
So, she’s going to stay that way.

-people who enjoy hurting others are really common, and when we conflate that with mental illness, we do two things: further the stigmatization of mentally ill people ( like me and my beloved Mr Crazypants) and blind ourselves to the actual predators.
Real human predators tend to be QUITE sane and calculating…and blend very well.

paradoxicalintent
paradoxicalintent

WWTH

QFT.

Though, I remember in high school, having a period bad enough could be used a one-way ticket home. Thankfully, my mom was very understanding (especially because I apparently inherited her period symptoms and heavy flow. Ugh.) and would always find a way for me to get home if she couldn’t come get me.

Admittedly, I have used my period as an excuse to get out of school on more than one occasion. Some days, I just didn’t want to participate in the American Public School System. Because it’s terrible.

proxleme

I laughed.

Though I don’t understand why women bleeding for five to seven days and not dying was considered bad. I mean, I get the whole “Eve and the Original Sin” thing (kinda), but it still makes no sense to me. : /

kittehserf - MOD

proxieme – truth! One of my former bosses was Orthodox Jewish, and she said all the women she knew in the community loved the times when the men had to leave them alone, sexually and otherwise. Drove the dudes up the wall, too. 😛

ParadoxicalIntent – I’d say it’s the basic idea that bleeding means you’re wounded, and bleed long enough from a wound and you’ll die. If you’ve no idea about the process of menstruation, it’d seem mysterious and frightening and maybe magical, I suspect.

akemp0013

First of all, huge fan of this site! Secondly,has anyone else seen that Bloomfield is writing her own version of Hunger Games for YA audiences? The main character is supposed to be some over-the-top, evil version of Katniss or something. She wrote this for her 12 year-old daughter, and I’m kinda horrified she has children.

paradoxicalintent
paradoxicalintent

kittehserf

Ah. So “fear what you do not understand” kind of thing. That makes more sense.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I’ve heard the theory that the menstruation-is-unclean dogma is a reaction by patriarchal religions against the matriarchal religions that they replaced, y’know back in the Bronze Age. There is some evidence, for instance, the worship of Asherah was widespread in the Levant prior to the development of post-exile Judaism, and Jewish scripture talks over and over about attempts to stamp out this worship multiple times.

I don’t know how anyone could prove that one way or another, but there’s a sense to it.

Lea
Lea

proxieme,

I’ve always wondered if that’s where the superstition that women could not can or churn butter on their periods came from.

kittehserf - MOD

ParadoxicalIntent – that’s my guess, anyway. Could be complete assfax, of course.

teiresias
teiresias

It seems to me that if your job title is Director of Social Media, getting thrown off Twitter is likely a firing offense.

kittehserf - MOD

Ah, but the rules are different for AVfMers!

Falconer

Thank you for the nice internet and all the applause. I saw my chance, and I took it.

@Kittehs:

I hope the Captain isn’t like theirs – or Queen Xanxia, for that matter.

Try as I might, I simply cannot find any gifs at all of Bruce Purchase as the Captain letting loose with one of his wonderful epithets.

The Key to Time has some of the best stories of the entire series in it, but by the end of the six-part finale I can clearly see Tom Baker getting bored with it all.

Christine
Christine

You all don’t get it. She’s a an “activist” (like her twitter bio says). A civil rights activist standing up for equality of oppressed men. She’s legit! If Martin Luther King Jr. was alive today and had a twitter and blog – I’m sure he’d post *just like she does.*

In fact, I would go as far to say as she is the reincarnation of Rev. Dr. MLKJ. Someday we’ll read her cyberbully name-calling and profanity in our history books at public school.

adventuresunkn0wn

After all, what truly inspirational human rights activist *hasn’t* done schoolyard taunts, profane name-calling, spread slanderous misinformation, and refer to themselves as judgy-bitches?

booburry

I remember watching Real Housewives of New Jersey a few years back. They got together to make pasta sauce for the year and they mentioned it was tradition that women on their periods couldn’t participate because it would ruin the sauce. They seemed to be half joking.

contrapangloss

The Pirate Planet was the best part of Key to Time, if only because of the flying robot birdie and it’s hilarious death rays.

Plus, K-9 and Robot Bird faceoff.

K-9 also always had the best lines.

I love that robot dog, so. so much.

kittehserf - MOD

I loved K-9 so much I made a life-size model of him in cardboard and silver foil and Contact, back then.

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

Every time JB shows up here I become more and more convinced that Paul Elam is keeping her around for entertainment. She’s their dancing bear and she doesn’t even realize it.

Lea
Lea

My favorite was when she pretended to be earnestly concerned for the woman she wanted to see harassed.
That’s classic JB.

samantha

You know, emilygoddess, I thought about this and I think that you may have something here. JB is way too consistent in her behavior and seems eager to prove whose “side” she is on.

Sad, really…and just a large tad pathetic.

Bina
Bina

Lowin is an entitled, narcissistic, self-absorbed, vain, cruel and utterly clueless young woman who can take any situation and make it about herself. She can simultaneously see herself as the most privileged person in her world, and at the same time, bemoan how cruel and unfair life is to her. Lowin is always the victim. She is incapable of seeing the world from any vantage point but her own.

This doesn’t sound like a feminist. This sounds like…JB herself.

brooked
brooked

After two years of blogging, I now realize that Lowin is a feminist. She would never use that word, but she embodies all of the vanity, cruelty, stupidity and obliviousness of modern feminists. She is Amanda Marcotte, Jessica Valenti, Zerlina Maxwell, Anita Sarkeesian and Amanda Hess all rolled into one, given the power of life and death.

She never uses that word or espouses any beliefs associated with feminism but she horrible person so she’s exactly like all the horrible feminists I hector and harass on twitter.

Judgyb sure has a knack for empathically imagining the inner lives of others, it’s no wonder she’s wants to write a novel.

Michael Lindsay

I wonder how much self loathing she has.

1 3 4 5