#gamergate beta males misogyny no games for girls no girls allowed PUA red pill rhymes with roosh

This just in: Pretty chicks are ruining video gaming. Also ugly ones.

Protect yourself, men!
Protect yourself, men!

Over on Roosh’s Return of Kings site, the lovely individual known as Redpiller1985 has totally figured out what has ruined video games, which sadly “have declined since their great rise in the 70′s-00′s.” He’s looking at you, ladies!

Ok, well, that’s not exactly a new sentiment to hear from a #GamerGater. But Redpiller1985 has managed to precisely identify just which kinds of ladies — sorry, “chicks” — are ruining gaming the most: the pretty ones who actually play video games. Or at least pretend to!

You go to any Youtube channel about gaming and it will have a useless pretty chick talking about her experiences with Pokemon as a child. These women are not actual gamers but women riding a fad. They’re called “Gamer Gurls” for the reason to mock the gurl phrase that feminists like to use. These semi-attractive chicks have learned that they can get the princess treatment by pretending to be a video game enthusiast.

Huh. You mean like this person or this person or this person? Or possibly this person?

But I digress. As it turns out, according to Redpiller1985, there is another kind of chick who is also ruining gaming: the ugly ducklings. Well, the ugly ducklings that grow up to be ugly chicks, that is.

Also another type of chick started to pop up. These women though don’t have the facade of being attractive. Instead they use videogames to up their social status. The land whales realized that if they could fake their enthusiasm for games, some video game beta would find them attractive as well. The betas fight over these chicks and since they’re all manginas of the highest degree. This is one of the reasons that betaness and even omeganess are the norms in video game culture.

I’ve prepared this helpful Venn Diagram:

venndiagramAnyway, these chicks are why Call of Duty is more popular than the unnamed “quality products” that Redpiller1985 prefers are objectively better than Call of Duty, which is apparently (who knew!) bought mostly by “chicks.”

Girl gamers and their beta male hangers-on rather buy Call of Duty than support quality products. Don’t let women in to your sub-culture unless you want it permanently disfigured. Too bad they already did it to my favorite sub-culture.

Redpiller1985’s complaint about Call of Duty is just a teensy bit ironic, given that not long before he wrote his post, a contributor to Roosh’s terrible gaming site Reaxxion had declared Call of Duty “the best shooter series ever,” in part because it has flamethrowers. (No, really.)

Redpiller1985 also complains that chicks are destroying the fine art of video game journalism as well:

Women and beta males have made video game journalism an entry point for dilettantes with humanity majors. … Video game publications have turned into tabloids with female writers at the helm. Most people can’t name a female game journalist because they coast on their male colleagues who do the actual work.

Well, actually, most people can’t name a video game journalist because they don’t actually give a shit about video game journalism, which is barely journalism at all.

But it is a little ironic to see complain about someone else’s journalistic ability, given that he is writing for what many consider the worst blog on the internet. And that he is also the author of this, er, sentence:

Since they’re all manginas of the highest degree WHAT?!

Only time will tell, because redpiller1985 never finishes that thought.

H/T — @thrillith via r/GamerGhazi. And then another H/T to @thrillith for also tweeting about that Reaxxion piece on Call of Duty.

Macha
Macha

At work, only one woman hasn’t gamed.

And with hasn’t gamed I mean “doesn’t currently either own a console or a gaming PC with a WoW subscription”. She still had a gameboy as a kid, so she should count, I’m only not counting her to be “fair”.

It’d surprise a lot of my coworkers to know they are fake gamers.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Also! Let it be known that angry misogynists can add France to the list of nations that are misandering all over the place lately.

marci

Ouch cassandrakitty! Mine lays on my head when I’m trying to sleep and sticks her whiskers into my nose. Not sure how she does this but it turns me into a sneeze monster which then scares her away. Then I get the glare of death for not being proper furniture.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

*insert mandatory WWII France joke here*

I started buying men’s shirts (much better made and less expensive) and men’s deodorant several years ago. My gender presentation makes the shirts look unremarkable on me, and the deodorant is significantly less expensive and IMHO works better. One can get unscented Arm & Hammer if one doesn’t want to smell like Axe or Old Spice.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Random funny.

And yep, Marci, this was even worse than stray whiskers up the nose, since her ears are all tufty. I feel like someone rubbed my eyeball with a pointy feather duster.

kittehserf - MOD

TIL that having a cat enthusiastically rubbing her head all over your face is all fun and games until she manages to stick her fuzzy little ear in your eye.

Ow!

Also, vive la France!

Then I get the glare of death for not being proper furniture.

LOL I can picture it, too.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

Right, let’s see if I can post this without siccing the blockquote mammoth on myself…

I have never quite understood the appeal of game consoles. It’s a computer, but with very specialized peripherals and an extremely limited number of very expensive programs.

Exclusives! I do prefer PC gaming where possible, but you can’t play modern Mario or Zelda games, for example, on a PC. So, I have a Wii U and a 3DS as well as my computer, which cover about 95-99% of the games I’m interested in between the three of them.

Of course, I can’t game on this computer anyway – no graphics card – so it’s all a bit moot until I can upgrade… *sighs*

Does anyone else here mod their games as well as play? I play Oblivion (my pc won’t run Skyrim) and I’ve been modding it for about two years to make it more interesting for me to play – mostly by adding population to the towns and villages. Especially more women and queer couples.

Hell yes. I mostly mod Skyrim (well, modded when I had a gaming computer and will mod again, but whatever), though I try to stick to minor stuff, like making my horse and wife unkillable, decorating my house and moving unique enchantments to other items to keep my charrie looking the way I want her to. My favourite homemade mod was a Dremora Thrall spell, because Dremora Lords are awesome and a Thrall version should have been in the game anyway. =P

Pokemon as a casual game? You have to demonstrate patience, pattern recognition, learning and retention, tactics and planning to be able to finish one of those games, same as any video RPG.

And that’s not even getting into the competitive scene. Once they’ve studied and memorised the strengths, weaknesses, ideal EV spreads and best movesets for all 721 known Pokemon, bred for perfect IVs and the right nature, Ability and Hidden Power type if necessary (or reset a legendary for the same) and put together a perfectly-trained team of six with as few holes as possible ready to take on everything from stall to hyper offense, then they can get back to me about how “Casual” it is…

sunnysombrera

I don’t think the desire for the feel of the console will ever go away. Emulators are great when it comes to the old games, but it doesn’t bring back the nostalgia of sitting in front of a TV with the controller in your hand. That’s probably why N64s, plus controllers and a handful of games, are selling on Ebay for at least £100. And we’re talking dirt cheap games too. Some of the rare cartridges are going for £70, no packaging.

Seriously, people are paying almost as much for a 20 year old games system as they would for a Wii U.

chronic lurker
chronic lurker

Charlie Brooker mentioned gamergate and online misogyny as one of the “reasons to be fearful” during the last 4 minutes or so of his 2014 screen wipe.

I wonder how long it will take for the inevitable GG drama-plosion.

sunnysombrera

Chronic: I’m not sure it will happen because Charlie Brooker is 1) male 2) a celebrity and thus a hard target and 3) male.

chronic lurker
chronic lurker

True, GGers also know he isn’t fond of them because he wrote this:

In more important news,I just went looking on 8chan to see their reactions, and it looks like they are trying to get Feminist Frequency in trouble with the IRS or something. They had a link to a report form and everything.

chronic lurker
chronic lurker

oops, forgot to add the link to Charlie brooker’s artical :p
It’s here: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/20/gamergate-internet-toughest-game-woman-enemies

chronic lurker
chronic lurker

And for those who are willing to brave the awfulness, Whatever the GGers are trying to do with the IRS is going on here: https://8chan.co/gamergate/
I haven’t read through the whole thread, but I assume all trigger warnings apply.

Falconer

Yeah, you do have to drop a packet on a new console every 6 years or so if you want to keep playing the latest titles in your favorite series.

For me, the only reasons to buy a Wii U are Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and Zelda — and any Fire Emblems they might put out. Smash Bros, MK, and Zelda are why I bought a GameCube instead of a PS2.

sunnysombrera

Falconer: Wind Waker, Paper Mario 2 and Twilight Princess were why I bought a GameCube. And Paper Mario 2 turned out to be one of the best games I ever played so I have zero regrets about my choice of console.

And yet I didn’t enjoy Wind Waker and re sold it before I even finished the first dungeon.

*hides*

Miss Andry

@sunnysombrera

I understand why a lot of people didn’t gravitate toward Wind Waker. It went in a completely different direction, at least aesthetically, than any other Zelda game. I actually enjoyed it for what it was, even though I’m an Ocarina of Time guy to the bitter end.

Oh, and did you get to play the bonus OoT disc that came with Wind Waker if you bought it early? It ramped up the difficulty a tad by changing around dungeon layouts and stuff.

sunnysombrera

Miss Andry: I didn’t realise it was a remixed version of OoT until too late. I still have my Cube, maybe I should buy a copy.

I’m also a fan of OoT, but I’m starting to lean more towards Majoras Mask as my favourite Zelda game. It was so clever with all the little details adding up to create a macabre world with a dark story. And yet it got away with a U rating!

Have you played the Zelda Oracle games on Gameboy Colour/Advance? They’re both very good and VERY underrated.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Oh wow. I thought the story of Wind Waker was much more powerful if you were a huge fan of the N64 games… Am I the only one? I guess the interesting part of the story doesn’t kick in until the latter half of the game, but still.

*trying very hard to avoid spoilers*

If I ever got a console myself, I’d probably get one for the Zelda games. Which is a shame, because there are some pretty awesome games for the other consoles. Everything needs to be ported to PC, and I need to get a set of usb controllers!

Falconer

@sunnysombrera, @Miss Andry, yeah, Wind Waker was a huge new direction from Ocarina, I’m not surprised it’s not everyone’s cuppa.

I snagged a copy of the Master Quest Ocarina disc. I can remember getting as far as the dungeon inside the fish. There were cow heads on the walls. That was just a bit too weird for me.

Twilight Princess blew me away. Midna was so well characterized, and I got to fight a dragon skull while riding a toothed gear around a spiral track. Pity Zelda herself was kind of a non-entity.

Skyward Sword was a let-down after that. Before I go and do my huge GOG play-through, I should finish WW and play Twilight again, then restart Skyward Sword.

sunnysombrera

Falconer: if I hadn’t sold my N64 (because poor :/ ) I’d probably boot up MM again. I didn’t sell it along with all the other games because that console was a symbol of happy childhood times and I wanted to keep one memento of it. Since MM is my favourite it made sense to keep that one.

And yes I know there is a remake on its way. 😀

Falconer

I have Majora on my Wii Virtual Console. I enjoyed it, but I got stuck on the stupid ice dungeon. It’s really dark and unsettling.

The first I ever saw of it was the level on Smash Bros 2, with the grimacing moon behind the stage. I was all WT everloving F ??!!

(I am both happy and disappointed with the virtual console. It lets me indulge my nostalgia with games like Chrono Trigger and Link to the Past, but Goldeneye 64 is never going to be released on it, boo.)

Falconer

The whole game is dark and unsettling, not just the ice dungeon.

gilshalos

I have to admit to pc bias.
Originally, because of access to the internet as well as games, but mainly cos I just /cannot/ use a console controls. They just feel wrong to me. Last time I tried using one, for a game I knew really well, at the easy start section, I spent 15 minutes trying to make a very easy jump and failing :/
Plus I never got into the games like Zelda, so don’t miss them 😛

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@Falconer:

Majora’s Mask is a game that I truly love the concept of and all the darkness behind it (ever notice how each of the main areas thematically represent the stages of grief?), but I still can’t get myself to want to play it. I hate hate HATE games on a global timer, when events only happen at certain times, and when I played MM as a kid I never figured out that you could slow down time with the ocarina, so I didn’t make it far through the game. Didn’t feel like I could relax and explore.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Basically I just had a bad experience with it as a kid. I should probably get over it at some point and get an N64 emulator.

Falconer

No, I hadn’t noticed the “stages of grief” thing. I saw a lot of depressed people, though, like the fox mask kid seemed really sad.

I did notice that the two fairies were Tattle and Tale, though.

twincats
twincats

@proxieme: We’ll probably get another 360. We had to go to Gamestop last week to look for Minecraft for the 11-year-old and they had used copies of Dance Party for .99 which made me side-eye it a bit. Zumba sounds like fun, though!

@gillyrosebee: Spirograph on the PC! SQUEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! I got one for xmas when I was 7, so misty-eyed nostalgia reigns this morning.

sunnysombrera

Kirby: I thought the timer idea was a stroke of genius, but I can also understand how not everyone would be cool with the stress of it. And it is stressful. The way the save system works has a lot of potential frustration to it too (you have a mini save by saving at an owl statue, and a major save by going back to day one. If your console crashes or you accidentally hit the off switch without major saving you start right back at the latest dawn of day one and you lose all your progress).

Falconer: yes, in every level there is a character that displays one of the levels of grief. Also, the ice dungeon wasn’t my favourite either, but if you thought the water dungeon in OoT was bad, in Majoras Mask…holy shucking fit.

sunnysombrera

By “bad” I mean “hard” btw, especially if you’re trying to collect all the stray fairies.

maistrechat
Reply to  sunnysombrera

The timer was the big stumbling block for me when it came to Majora’s Mask as well. Another issue was that right after I finished the first dungeon a family member chose that moment to vaccuum behind the TV and unplugged the system. I’m planning on picking up the upcoming 3DS release in the hopes that I can get back into it because other than the stressfulness of the timer I really enjoyed it.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@falconer:

This is the video where I first heard about it, and they give examples. The title isn’t a spoiler, this is a fan theory of the game, but the video itself probably contains spoilers.

Re: the timer

It didn’t bother me much as a kid, actually, except that I didn’t know about slowing down time so the game felt impossible. I’ve grown to hate it when you need to be at certain places at certain times otherwise you miss content (I’m such a completionist). Who knows, though, I also tend to make mountains of mole hills in my mind, and the ability to rewind time means you don’t ever truly miss content.

Bother, now I have to play this thing again and see if things are different now that I’m older.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Actually, realizing what the themes of the game were really made Majora’s Mask seem like a masterpiece in my mind. I love stuff like that; I’m generally pretty clueless in my media consumption and I tend to not pick up on the clever things people do with games, music, movies, and so on. When I finally learn about them, I get this little rush of joy that they are so much cooler than I gave them credit for initially.

proxieme
proxieme

I believe that Diane F Martin is a bot trying to pass the Turing Test. Sarcasm is the hardest thing for a bot to do successfully.

*snort*

re: Phantom Tollboth [I can’t remember the name of the responding poster :-/ & scrolled too through fast and couldn’t find it again]:
Yup!
And then there’s the whole “you need rhyme and wisdom to find wisdom” thing.

sunnysombrera

Kirby: same! My favourite type of creative product is one that had a great atmosphere or one that has a lot of little details, things you won’t find unless you play/read/watch it again.

My love for atmospheric things is what causes me to like films that got a negative reception. The Village for example, by that M. Night Shylamalaman dude (his name, halp).

Khoshekh clocked me in the face with his cast. Good morning to you too.

deniseeliza
deniseeliza

Awww, Khoshekh! I got a little black kitten recently and almost named him Khoshekh, but then I settled on Cecil instead 🙂

Aww!

Kaz
Kaz

I had a little black kitten called Sooty for a few days. She was supposed to just be with me for the weekend until the shelter opened. Safe to say she managed to find a permanent home before Monday came around. Little black kittens are magical.

They are!
comment image

Kaz
Kaz

Squeee! Sooty used to look a bit like that! They estimated she was about 7 weeks old when we found her. Vet theory was that she’d been dumped by a breeder, since she turned out to be a pedigree of some sort (Bombay… something) but her proportions were ‘off’. Hopefully it’s html for pictures…

Kaz: Just dump the image URL with no formatting and it will embed.

Kaz
Kaz

Oh boo, the picture doesn’t seem to be showing.

Have a link http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy55/benevolentbastet/P1040187.jpg

Falconer

Kitty!

Very sweet!

Kaz
Kaz

She was the sweetest kitten. Just wanted to be close to people, whatever it took

Robert
Robert

This thread is reminding me of when my kids played games on the PC. One was a cooking game; if you completed the recipe successfully, you could print it out and make it in meatspace. I can just imagine what the dudebros would have to say about that. There were several fight-the-monster games as well, and one in which you essentially played Boggle – the more words you could make from the letters in the time available, the more damage your attack would do. Fun times.

Regarding the OP:
“Now you’ve listened to my blather
Here’s the nonsense that I’ve spewed/
Chicks can only spoil gaming;
Don’t game unless you are a dude.”

Oh, and Civilization! I played once as an Objectivist, making all the decisions based on Randian principles. Wound up with the smallest civ, smallest population, and greatest wealth. Huh. It only worked because I turned war off, though.

deniseeliza
deniseeliza

That’s one of the things I LOVE about Civilization: you can play it however you want.

Anyway, KITTY PICS!!!

^ This one is Cecil at about 9 or 10 weeks old

^ And here he is about 3 months later… he’s almost too big for the bowl!!

Kaz
Kaz

Those ears! Lookit those ears!

cupisnique

deniseeliza, my cat is like 6 months and she looks closer to that size than the second pic. My cat is tiny lol. I took her to the vet a couple weeks ago and the vet said she always expects to see kitten teeth when she looks at her because of her size.

I always liked really big cats too though. They’re like little jungle cats.

cupisnique