#gamergate beta males misogyny no games for girls no girls allowed PUA red pill rhymes with roosh

This just in: Pretty chicks are ruining video gaming. Also ugly ones.

Protect yourself, men!
Protect yourself, men!

Over on Roosh’s Return of Kings site, the lovely individual known as Redpiller1985 has totally figured out what has ruined video games, which sadly “have declined since their great rise in the 70′s-00′s.” He’s looking at you, ladies!

Ok, well, that’s not exactly a new sentiment to hear from a #GamerGater. But Redpiller1985 has managed to precisely identify just which kinds of ladies — sorry, “chicks” — are ruining gaming the most: the pretty ones who actually play video games. Or at least pretend to!

You go to any Youtube channel about gaming and it will have a useless pretty chick talking about her experiences with Pokemon as a child. These women are not actual gamers but women riding a fad. They’re called “Gamer Gurls” for the reason to mock the gurl phrase that feminists like to use. These semi-attractive chicks have learned that they can get the princess treatment by pretending to be a video game enthusiast.

Huh. You mean like this person or this person or this person? Or possibly this person?

But I digress. As it turns out, according to Redpiller1985, there is another kind of chick who is also ruining gaming: the ugly ducklings. Well, the ugly ducklings that grow up to be ugly chicks, that is.

Also another type of chick started to pop up. These women though don’t have the facade of being attractive. Instead they use videogames to up their social status. The land whales realized that if they could fake their enthusiasm for games, some video game beta would find them attractive as well. The betas fight over these chicks and since they’re all manginas of the highest degree. This is one of the reasons that betaness and even omeganess are the norms in video game culture.

I’ve prepared this helpful Venn Diagram:

venndiagramAnyway, these chicks are why Call of Duty is more popular than the unnamed “quality products” that Redpiller1985 prefers are objectively better than Call of Duty, which is apparently (who knew!) bought mostly by “chicks.”

Girl gamers and their beta male hangers-on rather buy Call of Duty than support quality products. Don’t let women in to your sub-culture unless you want it permanently disfigured. Too bad they already did it to my favorite sub-culture.

Redpiller1985’s complaint about Call of Duty is just a teensy bit ironic, given that not long before he wrote his post, a contributor to Roosh’s terrible gaming site Reaxxion had declared Call of Duty “the best shooter series ever,” in part because it has flamethrowers. (No, really.)

Redpiller1985 also complains that chicks are destroying the fine art of video game journalism as well:

Women and beta males have made video game journalism an entry point for dilettantes with humanity majors. … Video game publications have turned into tabloids with female writers at the helm. Most people can’t name a female game journalist because they coast on their male colleagues who do the actual work.

Well, actually, most people can’t name a video game journalist because they don’t actually give a shit about video game journalism, which is barely journalism at all.

But it is a little ironic to see complain about someone else’s journalistic ability, given that he is writing for what many consider the worst blog on the internet. And that he is also the author of this, er, sentence:

Since they’re all manginas of the highest degree WHAT?!

Only time will tell, because redpiller1985 never finishes that thought.

H/T — @thrillith via r/GamerGhazi. And then another H/T to @thrillith for also tweeting about that Reaxxion piece on Call of Duty.

Skye
Skye

Awww, Falconer, that is awesome.

Unfortunately, I haven’t figured out yet how to fit very many games back in w/my current work schedule and the kids (think things will improve once number 2 gets a bit older). Mostly playing Tetris on my phone and trying to get through Prof Layton & the Miracle Mask on my DS (there are a lot of pauses and restarts 🙂 )

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I might see if I can download that GREE thing before it vanishes.

Skye
Skye

Argh, cord chewing. One cat cost $60 in cords once. 🙁

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

One of my buggers (I have my suspicions as to which) RECENTLY cost me $80 in cords. Macbook cords are not fucking cheap.

And I had cat-proofed it with split-loom tubing, too.

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

@ Falconer – squeeeee!!!! Babies so cute!

Falconer

Her using the word “kiss” is growth — up until a couple of days ago, she would have said “mwah” instead.

Cyberwulf
Cyberwulf

“In the 80s video games weren’t a man thing or a woman thing, they were a kid thing.”

The irony is that if all of us crusty old video dames and video gents hadn’t carried our love of gaming into adulthood and spent our disposable income on it, video games would still be strictly a kid thing. The angry young twentysomethings filling their drawers about soccer moms playing Farmville wouldn’t have their beloved gritty FPSes with the splatter animation and ragdoll physics they love so much *without* those soccer moms. Who play Farmville because they don’t have six hours of free time at the end of the day to sit in front of the X Station screaming homophobic abuse at other players online.

weirwoodtreehugger

Darrow chewed up my phone cord and now it only works when I position it a certain way.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

We played Asteroids for you, kids! Well, not really, but you can go ahead and thank us anyway.

Tyra Lith
Tyra Lith

this is totally OT and probably you all know about this anyway but: apparently a few months ago some assholes set the definition of “male tears” on urban dictionary to “slang for semen” in an attempt to shame women (because as we all know if a woman enjoys doing something that many men actually want women to do for them… that devalues her and she should be ashamed. or something). complete with bullshit examples and all.
I think I just facepalmed myself into another dimension.

weirwoodtreehugger

All the game talk has inspired me to dig out my old Nintendo DS. It’s charging right now and I will play Mario later.

deniseeliza
deniseeliza

As for iPad games… I really just love Robot Unicorn Attack. It’s an infinite scroller where it keeps getting faster til you die. I adore its simplicity compared to other infinite scroller type games. Robot Unicorn Attack 2 is trash and is full of in-game purchases and ads.

Papers, Please is strangely addictive. You are a border agent for a faux-Soviet type country and you have to approve (or deny) people’s entry papers. In the meantime, some revolutionary group is trying to recruit you, and your supervisors are on your back, the immigrants have heart-wrenching sob stories, and you rarely have enough money to keep your family warm and fed. This one is a little more engrossing, but not on the level of an MMO or RPG. It’s kind of expensive (for an iPad app).

Spaceteam is a fun party game. You play with (local) friends on WiFi. Everyone has this silly star-trek type command console and you have to shout orders to each other.

World of Goo is really great. You have to build various structures using little goos. The story is strangely affecting as well.

Battleheart is an adventure RPG type game where you build a party of cute little avatars and go kill stuff. The characters are really adorable and the combat is intuitive and fun (and not too hard).

Those are some of my favorite iPad games. Robot Unicorn Attack is the only game I’ve kept on my iPad consistently for years.

Miss Diketon

@pallygirl: I will misander at the Pinball machines with you. Fun Fact: one of my favorite attraction (other than Free Bet Blackjack) in Las Vegas was the Pinball Hall of Fame. It’s a bit off the beaten track and essentially a warehouse space but it’s definitely worth a visit!

Lea
Lea

I still get excited when I find a pinball machine. 🙂

Kootiepatra

For iPad, I’m into a game called Best Fiends right now. It’s a cute little gem matching game (I have a major weakness for those) that includes some combat elements, powering up your characters, and strategizing, so it’s not a simple matter of *just* finding matches. It definitely wants to be a money drain—it keeps offering to sell you an extra five moves for “only” $0.99—but I’ve managed to make it to level 75 without spending a dime.

As far as other games, I’ve been on a major WoW kick (the new expansion is quite cool). I’ve logged more hours on Minecraft than anything else, though I’ve been on break for a while. And since I just got a computer that can handle it, I’m planning on putting some time in on Trials: Evolution.

And though I’ve played it out to the point of no return, the Stanley Parable is definitely the best thing that’s ever happened to my Steam account.

Kaz
Kaz

Does anyone else here mod their games as well as play? I play Oblivion (my pc won’t run Skyrim) and I’ve been modding it for about two years to make it more interesting for me to play – mostly by adding population to the towns and villages. Especially more women and queer couples.

Started modding games in 1997 (age 9) with Dungeon Keeper 1, when I found out I could edit the text files for the level data, and I haven’t really stopped since.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

I used to mod Morrowind a bit, but it was mainly to add a little personal manor for storage and obnoxiously powerful weapons. XD

I’ve wanted to try modding Minecraft, but man is it difficult to even get started. Some day, if I get over the initial hurdle, I’ll finally make my nature-based equivalent to the big industrial mods (like Thermal Expansion). Tend to your piping system! Grow your factory blocks! Digest items into base liquids and reassemble them into other items! Cut off the water feed and watch your super expensive ore processing plant (lol) wither away! All this can be yours if yours truly gets his modding act together.

maistrechat

iOS-wise anyone who hasn’t checked out Monument valley really should. It’s pretty short and unfree though.

I’ve been spending too much time on Wayward souls. It’s simple enough to control well but roguelike-enough to keep me coming back.

twincats
twincats

My husband got his son an xbox for xmas. I must admit I’m a bit befuddled by Minecraft. He wants to get us one also (since the 11 yr. old will be taking his back home with him when his visit is over) and I want to get a dance game. Any suggestions as to the advantages/pitfalls of some of those?

Kaz
Kaz

Obnoxiously powerful weapons and super-armor are half the fun about modding. My first ever mod was to give me almost infinite cash.

Diane F. Martin

I am going to go ahead and support RedPiller1985’s post because my friend keeps trying to get me to date gamer dudes by telling me that since I like Candy Crush and Words with Friends I am a gamer girl. Nothing turns me off more than dudes who like video games.

kittehserf - MOD

They remind me of fundamentalists who seem to spend most of their time upset that somewhere people may be having more fun than they are.

Makes me want to adapt H.L. Mencken’s famous quote.

PuritanismDudebroism: the haunting fear that someone some woman, somewhere, may be happy.”

ParadoxicalIntention

GrumpyOldMan

Consoles are fantastic if you don’t have a really good computer, because getting one is cheaper than upgrading to a gaming machine because they are more specialized. They serve their purpose. I currently have a bleeding-edge CAD station but I still play a lot of games on a console because I just like them better that way.

I’ve actually found that in the long run, PCs are just cheaper when it comes to gaming. A new console will run you about 500 bucks now-a-days, and new games for it are 60 bucks a pop. (You can get discounted/used games, so I’m not dismissing that those exist, but they still tend to be more expensive depending on where you go.) You also don’t get access to mods, and you might have to go back to your computer to look something up if you encounter a bug or something you don’t know what to do with.

However, you get the benefit of playing on the couch, and it’s more specialized so you don’t have to worry about it crashing or not working (and you rarely have to worry about bad ports).

With a PC, yeah, you’ll pay 1K+ for a good rig (you could get it cheaper if you buy it by parts instead of pre-built, but that requires a LOT of hardware knowledge), but the games can be dirt cheap for it. I go to Humble Bundle all the time, and I can get five to ten games for a dollar if a bundle’s really good and I’m really broke. (And you get the choice to send that dollar straight to charity, the developers, or to Humble Bundle itself.) But you have to donate at least a dollar if you want Steam keys.

You also can get access to HOURS of community-made content. I’ve got so many mods on my PC version of Skyrim that it’s added so much more time to my play-throughs. (I highly recommend Falskaar* for anyone interested. Think just like Dawnguard, only free and made by mostly one guy and a handful of awesome voice actors. It adds hours to the game, and it’s amazing!)

*http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/37994/

The downsides are obviously the hardware cost, the fact that you’ll have to do a lot of debugging, you have to sit in front of your computer to game,

But, all that aside, it really does come down to personal preference. : 3

I prefer PCs myself, but that still doesn’t mean I don’t like curling up on the couch with Red Dead Redemption on my XBox 360.

Which is what I’m playing right now. Along with IloMilo, which is the most saccharine-sweet adorable little puzzle game I’ve ever played ever (and it has really intriguing subplots), and y’all should really go get it. I just got the Autumn Tale DLC for it, and it adds like 25 more puzzles to it.

gillyrosebee

HEY! Let’s not be trash talking Asteroids! I held the high score at three arcades for almost eight months when I was a kid. Then I got an Atari, along with River Raid, for Christmas and I went on to burn out three different cartridges trying to master it!

proxieme
proxieme

^ I wouldn’t limit it to some woman.
They seem equally upset when a CIS man is happy in any kind of relationship with a woman.

proxieme
proxieme

Twincats – All the dance games we have are for kids, so I’m no help with firsthand knowledge.

If you want to really piss of the dudebros, though, I say get a Zumba game.

proxieme
proxieme

Kaz – Yeah, that’s the other thing: timing.
We didn’t get a desktop in my house until I was a young teen…and then I banned after I pissed off my dad by forgetting to sign out of AOL.
Those minute plans *ADDED UP*.

proxieme
proxieme

twimcats – 360 or XB1?

gillyrosebee

Also, am I the only one who has discovered doge2048 and subsequently allowed it to take over my brain?

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

No you are not. Push everything to the right and down and you will survive.

gillyrosebee

Push everything to the right and down and you will survive.

Unless it’s a matter of pushing everything up and then down four or five times in a row!

I kinda feel like I want to take tomorrow as a sick day and play Civilization all day long.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Pretty sure that was me, ParadoxicalIntention.

Depends on what kind of gaming you want to do, I think. I don’t believe they released any .hack game for PC, so if I want to play .hack I pretty much need a console, or else engage with the cracker underworld. I’m not willing to engage with the cracker underworld but I really want to play .hack, so I have a PS2 for that. Some PC ports are also horrendous. We should acknowledge that some PC ports are horrendous and some games just need to be played on consoles.

the games can be dirt cheap for it.

Unfortunately I’m old and set in my ways, and I can’t just start to play a completely random game to see for myself if it’s any good. I’m not going to diss anyone who can, because people who can have a psychological skill that I don’t myself possess. Fact remains that I don’t myself possess it. I don’t want to play games, I want to play specific games.

paradoxicalintent
paradoxicalintent

@Kirbywarp: I play lots of modded Minecraft, and I usually use something like the ATLauncher or the FTB Launcher to do so, because pre-made packs yo.

I like playing with the Yogscast Complete Pack on the ATLauncher, because it has tons of mods, and they’re all pretty varied (stay away from Totemic though, it’s very broken).

I’m focusing my play on the magic mods (Ars Magica, Witchery, Thaumcraft, ect) right now.

Also, I will second deniseeliza on Papers, Please. It’s a damn good game, and surprisingly so. I never knew that working at a border checkpoint could be so intriguing and stressful.

paradoxicalintent
paradoxicalintent

@Policy of Madness; My bad. I got confused for a second there.

I can understand wanting to play specific games, and it’s good you’ve found games you want to play. : 3

Even when I get the bundles, I usually only get them because I wanted a specific game in it, and I give the rest of the games away to friends who also can’t afford too many new games. Spread the wealth, yeah?

I can agree on some PC ports being horrendous. I tried playing Wayward Manor PC port, which was ported from mobile, and I needed a patch to make the damn thing work properly. I couldn’t finish the first level because my computer wasn’t recognizing the clicks!

I also can’t get Katamari games on PC either. : / There’s actually lots of good games around the PS2 era that I can’t get on PC, which is why I own a PS2. Mine’s slowly dying though. ; n ;

weirwoodtreehugger

Is Diane F. Martin sarcastically posing as a straw fake geek girl to mock the red pill guy? Or she a troll posing as one? I’m confused and my trolldar is on the fritz.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Dunno, but I did a “nonsensical, therefore ignore” with that comment.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I thought about replying to that comment, but it’s such a perfect round ball of nonsense that I couldn’t find a way in to say anything about it.

gillyrosebee

I assumed that comment was some kind of performance art and I did what I always do at a biennial: make my “I am giving this deep thought and consideration” look, complete with pensive chin rubbing, then nod and move on.

gillyrosebee

Not necessarily vidya (okay, not at all) but have y’all seen this? http://nathanfriend.io/inspirograph/

Such a blast from the past!

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

Thanks a lot, gillyrosebee. I was trying to edit my novel, not play with doge faces.

gillyrosebee

Welcome to my world, wordsp1nner. I *could* read about transportation policy and its affect on land use planning, or I could try to line up the doge pizza tiles. What do YOU think I’ve been doing all evening?

gillyrosebee

Also, I’ve had the hiccups for the last three hours. I’m not really up to paying attention to anything more than shiba inu faces right now

GrumpyOldMan

I believe that Diane F Martin is a bot trying to pass the Turing Test. Sarcasm is the hardest thing for a bot to do successfully.

Binjabreel

Papers, Please is awesome! I make some of my students play it sometimes.

I’m also a huge fan of Democracy 3 and Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup, which is this awesome collaboratively designed open source roguelike.

marci

Ok so I have to agree with what someone else here said. It is these youngsters that are really “ruining” gaming for everyone. They are freaking out over criticism as if video games haven’t been criticized in various ways since the beginning. Has it stopped me from enjoying/loving games? Not in the slightest.

I’m one of those that started out on Atari, way back in the day and never stopped playing. I grew up dirt poor with a single mom, so a computer was out of reach for us. But second hand consoles and games were always available. I can afford to buy a computer now, but since console gaming is what I have known all my life, it just seems silly to fix what ain’t broke. Maybe some day I will try some of my gaming on a pc, who knows.

So on the candy crush thing. I play every genre of games, from FPS to RPG and everything in between. The only thing I can’t get into is sports games…I’m a nerd IRL so sports don’t interest me. I hate the idea that you have to play a certain kind of game in order to be a real gamer. I want as much variety as possible. Games like Journey have impacted me emotionally and I didn’t really know that was possible.

Last thing is the easy setting. Ok so when I was a kid and had no job and no real responsibilities, I never used cheats or played on easy or any of that. I wanted to wring as much time out of each game as I could. Nowadays I don’t have nearly as much time as I would like to play new games, let alone beloved older ones. Half the time I will play on easy because of this. It’s not that I couldn’t beat the game on Nightmare if I wanted to, it’s that I don’t have enough time to commit to such an endeavor anymore.

I really hope that these whiney little self absorbed twits grow up soon so that their stench will clear from OUR community.

Papers, Please is awesome! I make some of my students play it sometimes.

Papers, Please is an intensely psychological experience. It’s really fascinating.

marci

Also, I think this idea that women claim to be gamers just to get like accolades or something is really dumb. I have told people about my video game hobby and gotten bemused reactions, disdainful reactions and apathetic reactions. In dating, video games are just sort of a given, nobody has ever been surprised that I like games. It might be because most people in general of my age group and younger have at least played video games sometimes. Good grief, it seems like these dudes live in a bubble or something.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

What I don’t understand is why these dudes would think women are doing anything to attract attention from them, given how much life experience they already have indicating that women generally go out of our way to avoid them.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

TIL from youtube comments that if a classic game series is rebooted and most of the old fans hate it, they are nevertheless obligated to buy copies so that the publisher will create a sequel for the benefit of the people who did like the reboot. It’s really unfair if they don’t and instead agitate for a return to the original format, and the people who enjoyed the reboot are completely within their rights to call the old fans nasty names for not having bought the rebooted game.

Also, 20 years old is SUPER OLD Y’ALL omg SO OLD.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

TIL that having a cat enthusiastically rubbing her head all over your face is all fun and games until she manages to stick her fuzzy little ear in your eye.