#gamergate beta males misogyny no games for girls no girls allowed PUA red pill rhymes with roosh

This just in: Pretty chicks are ruining video gaming. Also ugly ones.

Protect yourself, men!
Protect yourself, men!

Over on Roosh’s Return of Kings site, the lovely individual known as Redpiller1985 has totally figured out what has ruined video games, which sadly “have declined since their great rise in the 70′s-00′s.” He’s looking at you, ladies!

Ok, well, that’s not exactly a new sentiment to hear from a #GamerGater. But Redpiller1985 has managed to precisely identify just which kinds of ladies — sorry, “chicks” — are ruining gaming the most: the pretty ones who actually play video games. Or at least pretend to!

You go to any Youtube channel about gaming and it will have a useless pretty chick talking about her experiences with Pokemon as a child. These women are not actual gamers but women riding a fad. They’re called “Gamer Gurls” for the reason to mock the gurl phrase that feminists like to use. These semi-attractive chicks have learned that they can get the princess treatment by pretending to be a video game enthusiast.

Huh. You mean like this person or this person or this person? Or possibly this person?

But I digress. As it turns out, according to Redpiller1985, there is another kind of chick who is also ruining gaming: the ugly ducklings. Well, the ugly ducklings that grow up to be ugly chicks, that is.

Also another type of chick started to pop up. These women though don’t have the facade of being attractive. Instead they use videogames to up their social status. The land whales realized that if they could fake their enthusiasm for games, some video game beta would find them attractive as well. The betas fight over these chicks and since they’re all manginas of the highest degree. This is one of the reasons that betaness and even omeganess are the norms in video game culture.

I’ve prepared this helpful Venn Diagram:

venndiagramAnyway, these chicks are why Call of Duty is more popular than the unnamed “quality products” that Redpiller1985 prefers are objectively better than Call of Duty, which is apparently (who knew!) bought mostly by “chicks.”

Girl gamers and their beta male hangers-on rather buy Call of Duty than support quality products. Don’t let women in to your sub-culture unless you want it permanently disfigured. Too bad they already did it to my favorite sub-culture.

Redpiller1985’s complaint about Call of Duty is just a teensy bit ironic, given that not long before he wrote his post, a contributor to Roosh’s terrible gaming site Reaxxion had declared Call of Duty “the best shooter series ever,” in part because it has flamethrowers. (No, really.)

Redpiller1985 also complains that chicks are destroying the fine art of video game journalism as well:

Women and beta males have made video game journalism an entry point for dilettantes with humanity majors. … Video game publications have turned into tabloids with female writers at the helm. Most people can’t name a female game journalist because they coast on their male colleagues who do the actual work.

Well, actually, most people can’t name a video game journalist because they don’t actually give a shit about video game journalism, which is barely journalism at all.

But it is a little ironic to see complain about someone else’s journalistic ability, given that he is writing for what many consider the worst blog on the internet. And that he is also the author of this, er, sentence:

Since they’re all manginas of the highest degree WHAT?!

Only time will tell, because redpiller1985 never finishes that thought.

H/T — @thrillith via r/GamerGhazi. And then another H/T to @thrillith for also tweeting about that Reaxxion piece on Call of Duty.

proxieme
proxieme

GrumpyOldMan – I can’t remember in which thread we were talking about mauls/splitting axes, but srsly:

Fiskars X27 Super Splitting Axe, 36-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M3BAQE/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_bhPOub13YY5N5

Dem Finnish know what they’re doing.
The only stuff it’s balked at so far has been knotty and seasoned for *squints* nearly 3 years.
And, of course, giant rounds – still sticking with a wedge and hammer for those.

ryohji
ryohji

@paradoxicalintent
Thank you to speak the voice of reason in the gaming community. I’ve been gaming for a very long time and this is exactly what I think gaming should be: people having fun and respecting each other for what they are and what they play, whatever the platform they play with is.

Amnesia
Amnesia

One does not simply dismiss Pokemon. Redpiller1985 has outed himself as Not A Real Gamer.

kittehserf - MOD

Thank you, proxieme! 🙂

Kim
Kim

@proxieme
excellent points.

Makes me think too of how stupid the console wars and pc vs mac are – the best thing for you, is the one that fits into your life the best. The stupid arguing fanboys do is just, well, stupid. Though personally I cheat and have one of everything 🙂

Lea
Lea

Again we see that if women are pretty, they don’t deserve respect and if they aren’t they still don’t deserve respect. Folks have already pointed out that this dude, like so many in the manosphere, thinks everything women do is about him. It couldn’t be that they simply enjoy things that are fun.

I also notice that these guys think every other man is a “beta”and that men women like spending time with are just the worst. What apparently make them “alphas” is that they hate women and they play games. Games. Seriously. I guess they think that if women play the games they won’t feel manly for playing with what are essentially toys for grown-ups. . They have no idea why women like those guys or why women enjoy games, but they know they hate seeing them having fun and making friends. I suspect alot of jealousy is involved in their hatred. People are having fun and making connections they can’t. These are the kids who smash another kid’s sandcastle because they can’t make their own.

They remind me of fundamentalists who seem to spend most of their time upset that somewhere people may be having more fun than they are.

proxieme
proxieme

^ Exactly.

Why in the hell are we so wed to another’s purchase/build choices?

(That isn’t aimed at you, katz – your points re: console disadvantages are valid + you weren’t playing the whole no-true-gamer/geek game.)

I wonder if it’s tied into so much of public identity (in the US, anyway) being tied to our roles as consumers.

But that train of thought will get me started on the consumer/citizen dynamic (it seems to have tapered off, but /especially/ during the Bush admin it seemed like anything from the government talked about “American consumers” rather than “American citizens” *flames of rage* ).

And now to undercut my last point ( 😀 ):
School breaks tend to be a time for me to indoctrinate my children, primarily through the use of a mix select beloved media from childhood; newer, curated documentaries, and apps (my 7-year-old’s currently fixated on a couple of intro to coding offerings – they’re really primarily focused on logic, grouping, nesting, and sequencing, but it makes-a me happy 😀 ).
Today’s film (offered during oatmeal and hot chocolate time) is The Phantom Tollbooth (WB, 1970).
Revisiting it, it strikes me that a lot of these gamer goobers could’ve done with a little more Phantom Tollbooth in their childhoods.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I have a console from every generation except the current one, all the way back to Pong. Console wars had a valid ego purpose. Let’s say, for example, that you asked your parents for an NES for Christmas, and they got you a Sega Master System because they didn’t understand there was a difference (*coughcough* not that this happened to me or anything *coughcough*). If this happened to you, then you had to learn to love the Sega, because you sure as hell weren’t going to get an NES at that point, and that meant that you had to hate the NES that you had actually wanted for Christmas so that you wouldn’t stew in bitterness. It was a mental health thing at that point.

Consoles are fantastic if you don’t have a really good computer, because getting one is cheaper than upgrading to a gaming machine because they are more specialized. They serve their purpose. I currently have a bleeding-edge CAD station but I still play a lot of games on a console because I just like them better that way.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@innocentbystanderboston:

You’re welcome to post here as long as you don’t break the commenting rules. The main thing is to actually engage with people if you’re making an argument, and to keep in mind that you are in a feminist space (so random assertions about how “women are like THIS and men are like THAT” don’t fly).

McJulie McGalliard (@mcjulie)

I’m not a video gamer, but I am a nerd of longstanding (president of my college science fiction club and all that) so I’ve been around games and gamers for a loooong time. My theory about what’s going on here is that the GG types are invoking a standard rule of patriarchy, which is that all spaces belong to men by default unless the men don’t want them. But until games got really mainstream, nobody bothered defending that territory, because they didn’t see it as valuable.

Nobody seems to be out there trying to defend tabletop RPG or LARPing from the feminist hordes, for example.

sunnysombrera

spaces belong to men by default unless the men don’t want them

If that’s a standard rule of patriarchy that might explain the phenomenon of “cooking is a woman’s job unless it’s high class and professional in which case only men can do it.”

Karalora

@proxieme

Oh, that movie. Oh, the ear worms!

Time is a gift, given to you
Given to give you the time you need
The time you need to have the time of your life!

Chie Satonaka

I’ll tell you who’s ruining gaming — 20-year-old entitled assholes who spend more time policing everyone’s behavior than they do actually playing video games.

I finally got Dragon Age Inquisition…not sure about the combat yet, I think I like the second game’s better, but I’m enjoying it so far. What are the rest of y’all playing these days?

seraph4377

@ innocentbystanderboston – “Welcome” is probably the wrong word for the greeting a “true red pill man” will get here, but you won’t get banned or moderated unless you get abusive. We’ve had MRA’s and PUA’s who lingered around here for months or – back in the day – even years.

Chie Satonaka

Oops, and in case I wasn’t clear, IMO it’s the GG-ers who are spending the most time policing and claiming they’re the only ones who are able to properly define who a “real gamer” is.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

@Chie Satonaka

I finally decided to learn how to play DMC4 as therapy. No, really, I think it will help me finish recovering from my wrist surgery, as long as I don’t overdo it and only play for 30-60 minutes at a go. I’m really good at other, similar style games and the difficulty ramp for DMC4 is much more gentle than for the other DMCs.

booburry

manginas of the highest degree!!

twincats
twincats

@leaI also notice that these guys think every other man is a “beta”and that men women like spending time with are just the worst. What apparently make them “alphas” is that they hate women and they play games.

This is more what I meant last night (I’m sick* and was very tired as well.) Not that they’re trying to make all the betas thru omegas into alphas, they just want to make them *aspire* to be alphas, more like, I think.

*I finally get a day to rest and recover today, so, huzzah!

twincats
twincats

Happy New Year, blockquote monster!

gilshalos

I’m also playing DA:Inquisition. Just re-started after being at my parents for Xmas. All I can play there is Guild Wars 1, as they always have the standard laptop graphics card rather than upgrading.

deniseeliza
deniseeliza

What are the rest of y’all playing these days?

I’m sort of back into playing World of Warcraft with the new expansion. I’m also enjoying playing Papers, Please on my iPad. It’s a… bureaucracy simulator??

Chie Satonaka

I think I might get back into WoW, can’t decide. I still haven’t tried Guild Wars 2 yet, maybe I will start with that one.

cassandrakitty

Actually, recommendations for iPad games? I, being an eeevil female, actually do just want fun things I can play when commuting/at the coffee shop. I refuse to even consider anything really immersive (like WOW or whatever) because I already have enough time-sucking, crack-like interests.

pallygirl
pallygirl

I’m still playing Guild Wars 2. I downloaded Civilization:Beyond Earth through Steam last week, and have played a couple of games on it. Still trying to figure out how to win and how to work the tech tree into that.

BritterSweet

What are the rest of y’all playing these days?

I finished Mass Effect, but can’t connect the PS3 to the Internet in order to import my decisions into ME2. So I’m putting that series on hold until I can connect it. Until then, once my brother goes back to the US mainland for school, I’ll take his Wii and play my old Gamecube games on it. Maybe finish Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker and then do Twilight Princess.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Mainly Borderlands 2 these days, with some dipping back into Minecraft (Feed The Beast mod packs are fun). Though I haven’t yet found a good way to balance game play with work, so it’s been pretty sporadic.

Actually, I recently re-bought a copy of Myst III and IV so that I could let a friend play through them. I almost want to play through them myself first for nostalgia’s sake, but then again it might be more fun to not remember the games when I’m watching them play through…

Sadly, it looks like III’s graphics don’t quite hold up… That was the first game that stepped away from the static pre-rendered scenes to give a free-look camera, so the resolution is much lower. Here’s hoping that the game itself is as wonderful as I remember!

Chie Satonaka

My iPad games are so nerdy, but I play Panem Rising, which is just a card fighting game that you don’t need to spend money on to get decent cards (it’s a Hunger Games thing). There’s no action, just clicking. I also play Criminal Case, which is a hidden object game where you solve murders. My other obsession is Clash of Lords 2, which is a strategy game where you build a city and fight other people, but that one is a money sucker, total pay to win. There is also a Heroes of Dragon Age game which is another point and click type, heroes fighting each other. I mostly play it to see all the characters.

I also like Bingo Blitz (bingo game) and Candy Crush. Yes, I’ll play just about anything.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Maybe finish Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

DOOOOO IIITTT!! I played through the game last year-ish, and it was one of the most beautiful endings I’ve ever seen in a Zelda game.

Not… not that I really know the endings to many Zelda games… I don’t have a console myself, so I haven’t really been able to play through the more recent ones. I really should find a way to do so… They looked silly to me at first, but I’ve heard a lot of good things about them.

weirwoodtreehugger

I’m a silly girly girl and have been playing Bubble Galaxy, a bubble shooter puzzle game on my phone. I like it because it’s legitimately free. Not free to download with tons of purchases you have to make to advance.

Chie Satonaka

I love those bubble shooting games, lol!

cassandrakitty

I’m refusing to download anything that has that little warning about later costs.

Pocket Nerd

Speaking of gaming, my online gaming community is a pretty welcoming place. In particular, women and minority voices are welcome, and we’re trying to recruit more. Lately our biggest timesinks have been Civilization, Warframe, MechWarrior Online, and TERA, but we’re a multi-game group — whatever you like to play, you can probably find somebody to play with. Or at least folks to chat with while you play. 🙂 Let me know if you’re interested.

weirwoodtreehugger

The first bubble shooter game I played was Bubble Bobble on my friend’s Playstation. This friend was a guy and our whole group would play together, both sexes. I think it’s a recent invention that these are girls games. Apparently in the late 90s it was a unisex game.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

The only game I have on my phone is an old-school Sudoku, because it came on the phone and it’s a flip with no internet access, so installing new games would be too much hassle for me. It keeps me quite entertained, so much so that I downloaded another free Sudoku for my tablet.

Chie Satonaka

Definitely. Anyone who played arcade games in the 80’s knows that they were just as simplistic as any casual social media game that today’s GG doods have decreed are “not real games.” Apparently video games were only invented within the past decade or so, and nothing before that actually counted.

One of my favorite games as a kid was Qbert, and that was just a guy jumping on blocks. Also Burger Time. My niece showed me a game she downloaded on her iPod where she has to make burgers, and I was like, “It’s Burger Time all over again!” It’s not exactly the same game, but I was really nostalgic anyway.

cassandrakitty

In the 80s video games weren’t a man thing or a woman thing, they were a kid thing. So, from my perspective, this seems a lot like the attempts of men to claim that My Little Pony was always for them really and let’s forget all those little girls who loved it first and in fact what are all these girls doing in my fandom ruining it for me?

Lea
Lea

I really liked Dig Dug and Kangaroo.

pallygirl
pallygirl

Ah, Ghosts and Goblins, Frogger, Gauntlet, first played in the arcade, and then played on my Commodore 64.

I loved Rally X at the arcade – got quite good at that one. Played Galaga a bit too (they had it at the rollerskating rink), but never liked Space Invaders much. About 15 years ago, played the tank game in an arcade when you sat in like an open tank and it moved if you were hit (two person game, player vs player).

cassandrakitty

I used to love the gaming tables that you got in some places where you could sit there with your pizza on the side and play Pac Man.

pallygirl
pallygirl

I also quite like pinball, enough that I have a fantasy of buying a pinball machine and putting it somewhere in the house. I’m not terribly good at pinball, but I love the flippers and the lights and sounds, and bits moving.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

No no no, pinball is a manly man’s game, you’re not allowed to like it, pallygirl.

Falconer

Pokemon as a casual game? You have to demonstrate patience, pattern recognition, learning and retention, tactics and planning to be able to finish one of those games, same as any video RPG.

I’m currently trying to concentrate long enough to finish Final Fantasy 9 — I’m about halfway through Disc 3 and have reached the end of the horrible “woman so guilty about losing a battle that she can’t speak” plot. I got all the chocograph pieces and just last night got a Golden Chocobo. Everyone’s near 30th level (Zidane is 40th or so), with Steiner lagging behind because he missed, like, half of each of the first two discs. And I’m so glad I don’t have to look at those annoying jesters any more.

Beloved is playing Minecraft, and she’s discovered software for writing a text adventure in the tradition of Zork and the Hitchhiker’s Guide games. Her big project in Minecraft is building a city in the sky, and she managed to get three villages’ worth of Squidwards up there but they’re clustering in the first couple of buildings and not spreading out.

After I’m done with FF9, I was considering ordering my Good Old Games library alphabetically and playing through each title in order. Lord knows I don’t need to buy any more games. Looks like the first 10 games in that run would be Age of Wonders (3 separate titles), Avadon and Avadon 2 (Avadon 2 sorted first because computers), Avernum (a collection of 6 games), Baldur’s Gate (2 titles), Botanicula, and Conquest of the New World.

In tabletop, I’ve been working on a series of adventures for Labyrinth Lord taken from a throwaway line in the 5th Edition Dungeon Master’s Guide, but that’s been slow going.

Falconer

Oh my god, I have 78 separate titles on my Good Old Games account.

I definitely don’t need to buy any more.

Falconer

Also, just going to leave this here:

Last night as I rocked my baby girl to sleep, she sat up in my lap, leaned in and kissed me on the nose, and said, “S— kiss her daddy.”

cassandrakitty

OK, that beats even the kitty pics on the aww factor.

pallygirl
pallygirl

I will continue to misander by continuing to like pinball.

#pinballgate

It’s about ethics in hitting balls.

andiexist
andiexist

Speaking of games that aren’t pay to win/are evil iPhone CASUAL GIRLY GAMES!11! I1!

Has anyone checked out Hatch? It’s a virtual pet game, and requires daily maintenance, but it doesn’t require *constant* care like most do. I’ve had a fugu going for over a year now.

If you like virtual pet games but not daily care, My Kitty GREE is a good one. It has neat minigames and such. It’s also leaving the App Store sometime in February, which is sad.

On actiony iPhone games, Vainglory is pretty freaking awesome. It’s PvP arena stuff, but there’s no chat, so no sexist idiots. The female characters are a bit scantily clothed, but so are some of the male ones, so at least it’s semi-equal opportunity skimpy. And they’re better than a lot I see.

littlefish
littlefish

I’m sure it’s some sort of a misandrist con that I have pulled in the last few days by convincing my husband to buy a 3DS and play Fantasy Life. I am still killing video games by persuading him to spend money and enjoy games that he wouldn’t have bought otherwise, right? I’m not 100% sure since I didn’t get the “how to destroy the gaming industry with longterm fake enthusiasm” booklet.

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

Falconer–Adorable.

My younger sister used to refer to herself as “baby” and get ticked off if you tried to tell her what a big girl she was.

Speaking of pet simulators–I used to play Catz when my family didn’t have any. Now I play real-life cat simulators, with extra realistic macbook cord-chewing and vomiting.