kitties open thread

Holidaze open thread (with kitties)

It was dogs. Dogs did it.
It was dogs. Dogs did it.

Since my last couple of posts this Christmas eve were a little Christmas-ruiny, here are some cats who’ve come up with much more adorable ways to ruin Christmas. And here’s an open thread to discuss them and whatever else you want, regardless of whether you celebrate Christmas or not.

No trolls, no MRAs, no jerks.Β  Email the mods if anyone gets drunk and sits in the eggnog.

Cat pics commence after the jump.

ChristmasLightCat

christmas-cat

Grumpy-cat-face-on-Christmas Cat-Christmas-Tree-Disaster

14-cats-and-dogs-that-destory-christmas-4

14-cats-and-dogs-that-destory-christmas-7

kitten

mp4E9

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

Congraduations Emilygoddess! And hope you feel better soon, schwadevivre.

grumpyoldnurse

Congratulations, emilygoddess! πŸ˜€

@ schwadevivre – Stoopid bronchitis!! I hope you’re better soon.

@ kittehserf – Your mister knows how to throw a Christmas party!

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I love the kitty in the Jane Fonda workout video headband.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Congratulations, emilygoddess!
comment image

(I found this on tumblr and I can’t get enough for it. It just gives me a gigantic grin every time.)

Tracy
Tracy

Congratulations inurashii and emilygoddess! *yay*

Feel-better vibes to schwadevivre!

We’re back from 2 days of visiting, and off again tomorrow for xmas #3 πŸ™‚ Hope all of you are having a wonderful holiday! And as someone else said, that includes LBT, Ally and everyone else we haven’t heard from in awhile. All the hugs!

gillyrosebee

Congratulations inurashii and emilygoddess, and to schwadevivre all the empathy (this year’s flu seems to have a bronchial component that flat out sucks.

Fibinachi

Yes! Congratulations to emilygoddess and inurashii! That’s some wonderful yuletide news, congratulations congratulations congratulations! ζ­ε–œδ½ οΌ

kittehserf - MOD

schwadevivre, yuck yuck yuck, bronchitis is foul any time, but right now??? Scrooge Bloody Bronchitis, that’s what it is!

gillyrosebee, great to see you online!

grumpyoldnurse, yes, he does indeed! If it hadn’t been snowing so hard, snowball fights and skating would have featured like they usually do. πŸ™‚

indifferentsky

All I can think of today is the pics of my bros kids with their sexist toy pics/ sexist segregation and how I’m failing as an aunt, due to family politics with my sister in law’s cruel asshole mother.

Other than that, things are cool, warm wishes to all you and yours.

ceebarks
ceebarks

Congrats to emilygoddess!

Very interesting, kitteh!

We had about as mellow a Christmas as possible with four kids. Went to my in-laws’ for two days, so Grandma handled the cooking. She’s streamlined things in recent years, which is nice: some of the early Christmases I went to at her house felt SO overwhelming: five different kinds of desserts and eight different side dishes and giant piles of perfectly coiffed presents and tons of decorations and visits from innumerable far-flung relatives. It was beautiful, but overwhelming. (and I was told that even THOSE Christmases represented a big step “down” from the ones before I came into the family! (!!!))

But on my BIL’s side of the clan, there are quite a few blended families and shift-workers, so an elaborate formal-ish thing doesn’t really work. I think that helped force her to scale it back some more so that people could come and go. (I am constantly amazed by her energy and iron work ethic. So easy to forget she’s in her seventies!)

I really, really like the more casual style, though. Makes for a happier time all ’round, imo. I got a lot of quilting in, and the kids got the videogames they’d been angling for, plus razor-scooters and new fleece blankets. And FIL put on the woodstove in the basement, so I took a lot of naps by the fire, which is pretty much my idea of a good time these days. lol

Glad to be back home, though! Happy holidaze, peoples!

twincats
twincats

Happy Boxing Day, all! I have a cold, bluh. Spent from Sunday to Wednesday alone and off work and got a lot done in the kitchen. Hubby was off to another state for court-mandated visitation with his son and I went and picked them up yesterday for the here part of the visitation. They go back the 6th.

It’s very interesting to have a loud 11 year old in the house eating us out of house and home. The energy is different, but nice. My poor old cat is still trying to make out what’s going on, but he’s quite game.

It’s back to work in the craft mines for me tonight. Hope it’s quiet for a change!

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

Happy Boxing Day, and congratulations, emilygoddess! πŸ˜€

I saw the other day that somebody had asked Twitter “what’s the most Dad thing your dad has ever done?”. I didn’t have an answer until we were playing Articulate(tm) this afternoon and my step-dad described Exeter by saying “It’s a town with a ring road, and you have to approach by taking the M5”, followed by even more detailed driving directions.

How many festive dinners have you guys had so far? I’m on 3.

skiriki

Hoopy holidayz, folks! Grats to people who got engaged/married/misandering/had great deal of fun!

I fasted for most of 24th, and as is the way of my people, feasted later in the evening.

Behold!

Lootmas was pretty okay, overall. I got all the remaining Marvel movies missing from my stash, save for one, but that’s okay.

isidore13

Is this the right place for this? This Christmas I learned by brother is an MRA – and it’s sort of my fault because I alerted him of its existence *sigh*

Ellesar

isidore13 – commiserations, but it isn.t your fault – either he was already ‘that way’ and just didn’t name it, or it won’t stick. Hopefully the latter.

pallygirl
pallygirl

Congrats emilygoddess πŸ™‚

Comiserations isidore13, it’s not your fault, all you did was let him know there was a term for it.

grumpyoldnurse

Very sorry to hear that, isidore13. But, like everyone else, I’m chiming in to say it isn’t your fault. I really hope he gets a clue.

gillyrosebee

Yeesh, isidore13, I’m sorry about that. But I just want to add to everyone else saying that this was in no way your fault. Plenty of folks don’t know about MRAs until someone points them at the cesspool. Some people turn away in disgust, others are drawn to it, but either way that is more about them than anyone else.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Yeah, a man who wasn’t already inclined to hate women would recoil in disgust at the sight of your average MRA site. If he has the opposite reaction, he already agreed with the stuff he’s reading and just didn’t know that the world contained a special movement for men who hate women.

isidore13

Thanks, guys, you’re right, I just… yeah. Blegh. Heh.

griffon8

Found this blog fairly recently. Read a few post. Enjoyed them. I think I found my way here from Rational Wiki. I was reading about that whole gamer thing going on.
Don’t know how much I’ll comment. But I looked around a bunch before deciding to do so for the first time.
Oh, and shut up, Woody.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Just remember, it’s not your fault that he turned out this way. Who knows what goes into producing that kind of man? Whatever it is, I’m pretty sure it has nothing to do with their sisters.

kittehserf - MOD

Commiserations from me too, isidore – and there’s this: now you know how much of a misogynist he is, if you didn’t already. Forewarned is forearmed, that sort of thing.

kittehserf - MOD

Oh, and shut up, Woody.

That’s a good start! πŸ˜€ Welcome, griffon8!

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

Nth-ing what everyone else says – people seek confirmation bias for the views they already hold, it’s not your fault for mentioning the existence of the MRM, isidore.
Everyone has at least one relative with objectionable views to skirt around at Christmas. It’s like a law of nature – call it the Racist Uncle theory, if you will. πŸ˜›

kittehserf - MOD

More holiday snaps! We had our first long walk in ages (and damn, aren’t my knees paying the price now). All the way along the seafront from St Kilda to Albert Park, nearly 6km, or 4 miles in old money. Doesn’t sound so much but given the damage to my legs over the last couple of years, it’s quite something. More importantly, it was a perfect day out: 21C, fresh breeze off the ocean, not the crowds you’d usually see there on a Saturday, though it was far from deserted, and no errands to do – just us having a day out walking and talking and enjoying each other’s company on this side of the veil. Louis said he was enjoying it more than I’d believe.

The cafe in the background is where we stopped for a raspberry ricotta cake – I shan’t try that again, it was one of those rare things that was far too sweet for me. The cake was okay, it was the icing – that very thick soft type – that almost defined “sickly sweet” after the first bite. Never mind, I got a good sight of him sitting opposite me in the booth with his curls all dangling around his face, and I have no upper limit on that sort of sweetness. πŸ˜‰

Lea
Lea

Congratulations, Emilygoddess!

isidore,
I’m sorry. It’s hard when the people we love disappoint us. He made his bad choice on his own. It has nothing to do with you.

Hello, griffon8.

Ledasmom
Ledasmom

kittehserf: I do not know why bakeries smother perfectly lovely pastries in icing. I have found that my tolerance for sweet things has decreased considerably, but I never did like just-sweet-with-no-real-other-taste.
We did, however, do considerable damage on Christmas morning to three pans of the family cinnamon rolls, which have no goopy icing on top. It is an old recipe that rises five times and so takes a while, but most of it is waiting. I tossed the bowl out into our chilly entryway for an overnight rise and finished them fresh for the morning. And of course there is my lemon tart that has now achieved the perfect, for me, balance of tart filling and sweet crust.
Right now, though, I don’t feel that I will eat another sweet thing for a week or so. Overdid it slightly. Even the son who eats sugar out of the bag said Christmas night that he did not want dessert.

grumpyoldnurse

@ kittehserf – who wants a winter Christmas when you can have 21C and ocean breezes? It’s starting to snow here, and the weather has turned seasonal, again, so I’m a bit jealous!

::waves at griffon8:: Cute pup! πŸ™‚

Personal note – I just got an email from my most functional relative, and it seems my brother and parents might be ending their feud! He was going to call them! I have to work today, so I won’t be able to hang around with baited breath waiting to see if the estrangement is over. I just hope it goes well, and no one makes any death threats…

weirwoodtreehugger

I love frosting but am not a fan of icing. I usually scrape it off cinnamon rolls. I want to taste the cinnamon. Not chemical sweetness.

Skye

Congratulations, inurashii and emilygoddess! Get well soon, schwadevivre and twincats. I’m sorry, Isidore (agree w/everyone that it’s not your fault). Hugs, if you want them, indifferentsky. I loved reading about everybody’s great times. Happy holidays to all of you (including lurkers and those who have stopped commenting). Welcome griffon8.

kittehserf - MOD

Ledasmom, yes, it’s the sweet-without-other-flavour thing I can do without. I like icing, but this was just too much. My tolerance for sweet stuff is going down, too, which is a good thing, I think, given I need to stop eating it. πŸ˜‰

grumpyoldnurse – ha! You won’t envy our weather by the end of the week. It’s supposed to be 37C next Saturday. I’ll be wishing for snow by then!

GrumpyOldMan

@Isidore: As everyone says, it isn’t your fault, but it sure is a big ouch! Hopefully, he’ll grow out of it.

Seems like I always have to be the grouch, but congratulating people on getting engaged always strikes me as an old sexist thing where you congratulated a person (usually a woman) for snagging a partner, whereas, as I see it, any congratulations should be for having the courage to enter a relationship which so often ends poorly. Wasn’t it Dr. Johnson who called a second marriage “the triumph oh hope over experience”, and since I would bet most of us here have at least one failed relationship (even if not a marriage) in our past, we qualify for the hope over experience class. I have always felt that best wishes is the more appropriate if somewhat unconventional salute, so I am sending inurashii and emilygoddess six bushels of best wishes apiece.

gillyrosebee

Wow, Grumpy, thank you SO MUCH for taking time out of your day, full of important MAN STUFF to set all of us silly feminists straight. Clearly we were doing it wrong, and it’s so great to have a big, strong man there to tell us how to properly congratulate our friends as they embark on a new stage of their lives!

What WOULD we do without you around to tell us how to properly view the situation of engagement (such a silly, sexist holdover, really, so *quaint* and archaic!) and appropriately express our clearly naive and wholly conventional, if (quel horreur!) “inapporpriate” sense of pleasure at their joy.

Seriously? Fuck off with your condescending bullshit.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Seems like I always have to be the grouch,

No, you don’t have to be.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Sorry, shouldn’t have added my 2 cents any more than he should.

kittehserf - MOD

Dr Johnson also said that the pains of marriage are many, but the pleasures of celibacy none, so he wasn’t exactly anti-marriage – and his own marriage was a happy one (and to an older woman, scrotospherians, so there).

It’s not like most people (including those getting engaged!) on this site don’t know about marriage’s history and dark side and how harmful it can be for women. We don’t need to be told that, GrumpyOldMan. But it’s still something to celebrate when friends announce their commitment, I think. Are any Mammotheers likely to be marrying other than for love? I don’t reckon so, and love is to be celebrated. Yeah, call me romantic, I’ve been in love with one person over thirty years.

You could also say that congratulations are in order when couples who would not formerly have been allowed to marry can do so. That applies to some Mammotheers as well. Marriage is no more static than any other human institution, regardless of what the wingnuts claim.

kittehserf - MOD

Also, this is a holidaze open thread: let’s not devolve into serious arguments, people (that includes me, oops).

gillyrosebee

Whoops! Kittehs, do I need to do some sort of snark-penance?

kittehserf - MOD

LOL only if you want to put in a kitty pic, gillyrosebee!

gillyrosebee

Lo, most high David and glorious Mods, accept this offering in the knowledge that I am but a lowly and naughty person! I approach, trembling, begging forgiveness and offering that most highly prized of all things. Tabby kitten pictures!
comment image?oh=a7abf7daf7cf99b1ea21e19763ae6963&oe=54FFF644&__gda__=1429617859_da89a02994dda71ef34d1e73e0b934ab

gillyrosebee

Well, shploop. That was supposed to embed. Click on it, though, it’s totally safe.

As is this one, will it embed? The Shadow knows…
comment image?oh=1368ca40d5449165c573528a913615e7&oe=55355CF7&__gda__=1429072752_2c83a823c2dbd14e8281f9e17b468c3d

gillyrosebee

No. No it won’t. Son of a biscuit!

Click on it. You won’t be sorry.

Unless a basket full of fluffy kittens somehow makes you, you know, sorry for things.

kittehserf - MOD

SWOONS AT THE TABBY CUTENESS

gillyrosebee

You want the cute? YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE CUTE!!!

But in case you want to try, here’s a box full!

kittehserf - MOD

::faints::

Kitties ruining photos, part the eleventy seventh:

gillyrosebee

OMG that second cat! I mean the first is funny, with the whole “pbbbbbbbtttttt!” thing going on, but that butt nibbler had me giggling till I thought I was going to pass out!

GrumpyOldMan

It is safe for me to come out now?

I was only making a clumsy attempt to explain why I say best wishes rather than congratulations.