david has questions off topic

Off-topic: What are your favorite guilty pleasure videos on YouTube?

This is completely off-topic but I’m curious: What are your favorite guilty pleasure videos on YouTube? That is, videos that you might be embarrassed to admit you watch but that you compulsively watch anyway. Or, heck, maybe you’re not embarrassed at all. Kitten videos? Pimple popping videos? Russian car crash videos? News anchors screwing up? Dudes sitting in the bathtub yelling about 50 Shades of Grey?

Whatever it is, let me know.

I kind of have a little bit of an ulterior motive.

blanktie

I really like those pretend-real video series of people running away from slenderman; I watch those religiously. I also love let’s play videos, especially ones by Markiplier. And I also love ASMR videos, mostly ones involving certain sounds (shoe-shining, floam squishing, and game controller button pressing are my favorite) or certain scenarios (like consoling friend or photoshoot roleplays). That stuff usually puts me right into a blissful trance or makes me fall asleep. The internet is a magical place.

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

Little Miss Grump loves skeletons. She loves the song Spooky Scary Skeletons, and anything animated skeletons. Here’s a neat spin from the original.

kittehserf - MOD

Team Fortress Laser Death Kitty

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Old 1970s commercials. They don’t make jingles like this anymore:

Falconer

Someone cut together all the space combat scenes from the Battle of Endor …

I love how the B-Wings just disappear a minute or two into the video. Apparently the models were too difficult to film. Also, is it me, or does Dennis Lawson (Wedge, the guy in the X-Wing) just seem to be completely unenthusiastic about his role?

And this Nikki Minaj Starships mashup is just wonderful. Someone took a song about partying and how fun sex is and interpreted the chorus literally.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

I also like old educational films where they try to scare kids into not horsing around on the school bus or dropping acid (because your lunchtime hot dog will come to life, start talking, and result in a permanent freak-out). Horrible acting, wooden dialogue, ham-handed lessons.

A non-guilty pleasure: PES videos. “Western Spaghetti” and “Fresh Guacamole” make me strangely hungry for rubber bands, Play-Doh, and dice.

Falconer

@Buttercup:

I’m not even on acid and that’s freaking me out.

BreakfastMan
BreakfastMan

A lot of weirdo, creepy cartoons from guys like Ukinojoe or FilmCow. Stupid nu-metal music videos as well, those are always a good time. As well as videos that mock fedoralord/weed culture, those are great. Like these!

vaiyt

Youtube Poop Music Videos about obscure Mexican shows in Portuguese:

SaltyBet MUGEN fights:

And whatever this thing is:

vaiyt

Fuck, the embed borked my first two links. First was supposed to be this

vaiyt

And the second one this:

Can a mod fix my first post?

kobun37
kobun37

Videos of old Chuck E. Cheese animatronic skits from the 70s through the mid-80s, both from former locations and newer videos fans have made with their privately-owned bots. Used to love going there as a kid back in the early 80s, and the game Five Nights at Freddy’s rekindled my affection for the place and the characters as they were back then. Unlike today’s nice, kid-friendly version, Chuck was blunt, sarcastic and could be kind of a douche at times. Watched a few videos and discovered the skits at the time were written with both children and adults in mind and are actually really clever. Now I’m hooked.

pallygirl
pallygirl

I have a few subscriptions… here are some I don’t think have been mentioned already:
Simon’s Cat (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH6vXjt-BA7QHl0KnfL-7RQ)
Wildlife Aid (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2GYlKSMFgAPqVZoFyw5Itg)
Henri (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKV9BaMeTZ1XkpTzvJl226Q)
Cravendale, specifically for the Cats With Thumbs series of videos (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfVM0_PrQs3R8I0DiPXMxVg)

But also comedy stuff like:
Cinema Sins, which helps the OCD part of me (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYUQQgogVeQY8cMQamhHJcg)
Screen Junkies, in particular the honest trailers (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOpcACMWblDls9Z6GERVi1A)

Adam
Adam

Let’s Plays by Crossknights, this one guy nobody knows about but is who is pretty much the only LPer I don’t find totally obnoxious and unlikeable. I used to watch his stuff pretty much daily back when I was super depressed because he used to make it daily, but he doesn’t anymore and neither do I.

Weissness
Weissness

Every Billy on the Street ever made….Paul Rudd lip-syncing Tina Turner…

And the guiltiest of all : “The Renewed Mind is the Key”. It’s so amazing. If the link below doesn’t work, you really must google it. I love Patrick Bateman’s new direction.

Shaun DarthBatman Day

@ Jay, it’s fine. There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can’t.

My favourite YouTubes are anything MST3K, Nerdy Nummies, and (of course) Misogyny Theater. Guilty pleasure, though, I think I have to go with My Drunk Kitchen.

Shaun DarthBatman Day

OH! And my eldest got Mouse and I addicted to Simon’s Cat.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I must confess: my guilty Youtube pleasure is the ridiculous Devil May Cry anime.

It has everything a bad anime could want, but what wins my heart is the bad case of Strike A Pose Syndrome from which it suffers.

baroncognito

I’ll second the Dragonball Z abridged series.

contrapangloss

OH MY YOU CAN DRIVE A PIANO AND IT’S AMAZING AND WHOOOHOOO!

I didn’t know that. I just watched that video 3 times. Not kidding. Piano driving. All the yes.

(also, seconding simon’s cat)

childrenofthebroccoli

Wowcrendor’s World of Warcraft machinimas. It was hard to choose just one to link, so here’s one that’s a mash-up of several of his videos:

Loon of Nature (@LoonOfNature)

Anything by Jim Sterling. Specifically Jim Sterling playing shitty games. He plays good ones sometimes but I skip those, I’m here to watch terrible game I would never see or play otherwise.

He doesn’t even keep riffing the game past halfway through, he starts talking about his (infinitely more entertaining) DnD sessions. I could be watching modeling or concept art tutorials but NOPE TIME TO WATCH THE JIM F-ING STERLING SON.

paradoxicalintent
paradoxicalintent

I saw a video of people removing a 20-year-old blackhead once, and I couldn’t look away. They did get it out, and I’m grateful for that. It looked *painful*.

I would say my current YouTube go-tos have been the Yogscast (mostly just their Minecraft stuff, and only a few members of such. I like to binge watch episodes, so I wait a while after I catch up to catch up again), and Northernlion’s The Binding of Isaac Rebirth series. I love Rebirth (a LOT), and it’s awesome to get tips and tricks from him. :3

I actually just won my sixth (?) run, and I’m super happy about that.

paradoxicalintent
paradoxicalintent

@Loon

Hell yeah! I love watching Jim’s videos! I was a little sad because he left The Escapist, but I’m happy he’s got his own site now, and that he’s got a Patreon.

Weissness
Weissness

I don’t know how I could have forgotten Henri. It’s close to inexcusable. My only guilt comes from making everyone I’ve ever known watch it.

I also am curious about the “ulterior motive”; brain bleach forever?
And can anyone confirm the circle phenomenon? It seems to not work with my sister’s cats, but they’re… eccentric.

sunnysombrera

I like watching shows I used to watch as a kid. The Wombles, Stoppit and Tidyup, Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds etc.

But my definite guilty pleasure is Sesame Street parodies. My favourite so far is their Mad Men spoof.

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

Ok, so this one time, my beloved had a huge sebaceous cyst in his back, so I went online to do a bit of research and ended up watching a whole ton of videos related to abcess draining, pimple popping, blackhead squeezing and cyst removal. I have kind of a morbid fascination for gross medical stuff. I’m a bit of a ghoul.
* I think I saw the same video as paradoxicalintent.

Other than that, I waste so much time watching children’s cartoons (Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Teen Titans) as well as other TV series, and I unironically enjoy the BBC’s Horrible Histories programme. It’s not really the content I’m ashamed of, it’s the number of hours spent watching it. šŸ˜›

lensman
lensman

“Anime 404″… just… watch it…

It’s a guilty pleasure because I am ashamed to admit to my friends and family that I actually get all the internet memes that are being referenced.

Also… Tunak Tunak Tun… I can’t understand anything the guy says, but damn, this is a catchy song…

It’s a guilty pleasure for me because… well… how do you admit to your friends and family that you like this sort of music? The first time I heard it I actually lost control and started dancing to it, which lead to my wife giving me the “am I really sleeping with that guy?!” look.

Michelle C Young

I love watching music videos, kitty videos, and those old 50’s “How to be Swell” videos we used to watch in school.

scalyllama

Seriously, how could I pick just one?

The video that always cracks me up features the adventures of a concrete buffer with attitude and a grudge to settle.

(Hoping the embed works!)

scalyllama

Other favourites are one kitten’s reaction to applesā€¦

scalyllama

ā€¦A chorus of silent monksā€¦

scalyllama

ā€¦And the always-enchanting Cat on a Roomba!

Nequam
Nequam

I like the videos of Adam Buxton and of Cyriak (who did one for Adam, actually).

Adam Buxton doing Guitar Wolf:

Cyriak wishing all a Happy Christmas:

Cyriak and Adam bring you a happy little song:

Nequam
Nequam

Oh, and I nearly forgot: THIS brutal little piece which I will not inline for obvious reasons. The British political satire show That Was the Week That Was did it in response to the shooting of civil rights marcher William Lewis Moore.

It is *techinally* worksafe, but I wouldn’t watch it in an office. TRIGGER WARNINGS: N-word abuse and blackface.

Zolnier

…None of us are safe!

marci

Markiplier!!! I love him, he’s hilarious and totally adorable.

daintydougal
daintydougal

Babies trying lemon for the first time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YBheuHma8I

daintydougal
daintydougal

This kid saying blood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr5B-mEKGY4

People trying foods from different countries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVhUYXYRJyg

Ellesar

I subscribe to a youtube channel called PistolShrimps

They are puerile!

GOBACK (@JoeKlemmer)

I’m to much of an old phart. I don’t watch videos on YouTube. I occasionally watch videos on Xvideos, but that’s once in a blue moon. Watching on my computer or phone is more of an annoyance than anything else.

suzurinrin

I love love love ASMR ! It is the best thing ever, especially any one with a strong Russian accent. ASMRmania does the best videos. Also stupid news and game show blooper videos.

sorceressensorcelled
sorceressensorcelled

Okay, I don’t have access to Youtube right now, but if any of you get a chance, search “Wanna Buy A Ghost” on Youtube. My fave video of all time.

Mezza
Mezza

I love watching other people play horror games.

I do not have the nerves to play them myself. The only game I played properly halfway through was Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and I ended up having occasional nightmares and being afraid of the dark for a few months after. My mental health just isn’t up to it. (I don’t have the computer for it anymore, either – Amnesia now lags like hell even on the lowest quality settings.) I can’t even handle Five Nights at Freddy’s, despite the game being just a bunch of jump scares.

Even so, I love both Amnesia and FNAF. The only way I can enjoy them is by watching people play them on Youtube. I usually watch them without commentary, but I have watched Markiplier’s (see the video Marci embedded) and Raedwulfgamer’s playthroughs of FNAF, just because it’s less nerve-wracking when someone is talking over the video. I can’t remember what channels I watched that didn’t have commentary, though.

I also enjoyed Outlast and Neverending Nightmares, but again, I had to watch videos of other people playing them.

I consider it a guilty pleasure because I do feel guilty about watching them instead of playing them. [insert fake gamergirl joke here] Lately I have been making a point to buy indie horror games if I like them after watching them, even if I don’t have the nerves to actually play them. I want to at least support the devs for making great games, and most indie horror games aren’t that expensive.

Aside from that, I watch Achievement Hunter. Unlike with horror games, I don’t have an excuse for it. I just like watching them do nothing except playing games and cursing. I also don’t mind Michael’s older Rage Quits, though I’d never admit it anywhere where I’m not anonymous.

WindRider
WindRider

’20 short clips from dangaioh’

Hilariously bad dub for the UK release of a mecha anime, though toward the end you get the feeling the scriptwriter (and the actor for the villain) was having a lot of fun. Warning to language – the dub was heavilly fifteened (copious swearing added to the script to bump is rating from PG to 15 to be ‘cooler’ to teens), and the first episode (of three presented) was chunked intot a 10 minute prologue

lkeke35

For some reason, I like watching people from other countries taste test other countries favorite foods

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg-b8skNNY0

DL
DL

I like watching finnish ytp videos or other equally silly things. I also play Cr1tikal’s videos on background when I draw because his narrating is oddly calming.

Biot (on a different browser this time)
Biot (on a different browser this time)

My personal guilty pleasure: anything related to QI. Like cravats on cross-country runs:

An enlightening (and funny) discussion about cheese:

And, on a tangential note, watching David Mitchell come close to exploding with laughter. (Most of the clips are from a game/quiz show called “Would I Lie to You.”)

I REALLY recommend the full Cuddle Jumper clip at the end.

Biot (on a different browser this time)
Biot (on a different browser this time)

There are also “man trapped in a box” impressions:

And Michael Caine impressions:

Heck, even Michael Caine gets in on the Michael Caine impressions (with Billy Connelly in tow)!

Okay, I’ll stop.