Uncategorized

MEME FAIL: Actually, it's about ethics in calling Wil Wheaton a racist misogynist for no good reason

Oops.
Oops.

The We Hunted the Mammoth Pledge Drive continues! If you haven’t already, please consider sending some bucks my way. (And don’t worry that the PayPal page says Man Boobz.) Thanks!

Welcome to the first episode of MEME FAIL, a new series of posts in which I look at, well, memes that fail. It’s kind of all there in the name, huh?

Today, we look at a meme aimed at former Star Trek: The Next Generation star Wil Wheaton, who has apparently committed the egregious sin of expressing his opinion about #GamerGate on Twitter.

The MEME. (Click for a larger version.)

5345708+_158aaba101dad5002969e1611e87c74c

How it FAILS: There’s really no way in which this meme doesn’t fail.

Let’s start with the most obvious problem: Calling #GamerGaters stupid pieces of dog poop is not actually racist or sexist. Apparently, #GamerGaters feel that because there are some people in their little movement who aren’t straight cis white dudes, any insult directed at their little movement is therefore racist and sexist (and homophobic and transphobic)?

Yeah, that’s not how it works. It almost seems like #GamerGate is trying to use women and people of color (and GLBT folks)  as, well, a way to shield themselves from criticism while being complete assholes and bigots?

Then there’s the whole “Eulogy” thing. Wheaton is not actually suggesting that #GamerGate should go die, literally or figuratively. He’s actually quoting from the lyrics of a song by Tool called, well, “Eulogy.”

The song in question, as best as anyone has been able to figure out, is a snarky takedown of a self-righteous, self-appointed martyr who “had a lot of nothing to say.” Tool’s drummer has suggested that it’s aimed at L. Ron Hubbard. But, as Wheaton notes, the song very well could have been written about #GamerGaters, if #GamerGaters had been a thing when it was written.

You sure could yell.
You took a stand on every little thing
And so loud.
Standing above the crowd

So loud. So very very loud.

BONUS IRONY: I ran across this meme being mocked on r/gamerghazi, but did a reverse image search to find a larger and more readable version of it. I found one in a thread on FunnyJunk.com in which one of the commenters refers to “Wil ‘Captain Mangina’ Wheaton” as “the gayest faggot in Fagtopia” and, well, let’s just say that the commenter also suggests that Wheaton enjoys anal sex.

Falconer

That sounds awesome. You go, Lea, have fun!

(Do they still say “you go”?)

And also A+ gif usage, there.

weirwoodtreehugger

I think a spiky red crew cut earns you enough feminazi points for a lifetime. Just aging is misandric enough.

cassandrakitty

I’m pretty sure that letting your hair go grey is the ultimate misandry, especially if you really don’t give a shit who notices.

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

@ WWTH – You’re right! Daring to exist in one’s 5th decade as a feeeeemale probably is sufficient misandry! Thanks!

@ Lea – Singing in the man tears,
I’m just singing in the man tears!
What a glorious feeling
To confirm misogynists’ worse fears!

I do hope saying ‘you go’ is still a thing, because “You GO, Lea!”.

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

True, enough, cassandrakitty! If it gets a bit longer, I could even come close to doing bride of Frankenstein hair! And, with the excellent hair products they have now, I might not even have to resort to starch and Elmer’s white glue!

cassandrakitty

I really wish my white hair would cooperate and grow in as a big dramatic streak, I’d totally leave it as is if it did.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Dyed hair also makes it harder for MRAs to reduce women to hair color, eg “the blonde in Sales” or “the brunette next to me at the club”. Saying “I had drinks with the pink in Accounting” sounds idiotic.

As well it should.

Falconer

It’s a pity Susan Sto Helit is like the exact opposite color scheme from the Bride.

Falconer

It seems like a much tougher job to me, I meant to say.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

Saying “I had drinks with the pink in Accounting” sounds idiotic.

Considering what “The pink” usually means to MRAs, they probably say that a lot regardless of hair colour.

Lea
Lea

Thank you. I will go. 🙂
A couple weeks ago I didn’t want to, but I changed my mind. I think it will be fun. If not, at least I met some new people.

MRA really don’t understand the power of reverse psychology, do they?

They think it works by saying “Definitely DON’T visit my blog.”

Pocket Nerd
Reply to  katz

Thus Spake Zarakatz:

They think it works by saying “Definitely DON’T visit my blog.”

“And definitely don’t harass this person. I’m only posting her address and phone number so you can make 100% sure you don’t accidentally send her rape and death threats.”

Orion

@grumpyoldnurse, “I’m cheering for men’s pain/just cheering for men’s pain…”

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

@ Orion – what a glorious feeling! I’ll misander again!

Lea
Lea

stardustfalling,

I’m, sorry that leech treated you that way. I’m so glad you rid yourself of him. He’s a shitty person.

gilshalos

I have considered dying my hair in the past, but…natural redhead. Our hair reacts weirdly to dyes, I am told, and temp dyes can be permanent. 🙁

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

@ Gil…prolly so. Could try a blue streak, it might come out purple…or snip a bit off and pretest. I can say that blue washes RIIIIGHT on out, in my experience.

Alas, I doubt I shall be allowed exotic colors, if I get to work as a PI it will behoove me to look as naive and innocent as possible…hehehehe…

freemage

stardustfalling: As others noted, deep sympathies for being in that shitty relationship, and congrats for getting out and moving on. (Also, while painful, the ‘circle of friends’ you lost were probably showing their true colors, and you’re better off without them, too.)

proxieme
proxieme

stardustfalling (neat name) – freemage’s right.
If a circle of friends would skitter off after that series of events, they weren’t really friends worth having. I’ve seen enough actual friends lose a chunk of their (socially unrelated to me) friends after a life change to grok that.

Re: skinny body shaming:
Editing to add: Whoah, I pulled a real teal deer down there. Executive summary: I’ve been about as skinny as that girl, too, and have had some snide comments thrown my way; but they pale in comparison to the shit show that I’ve seen people who don’t fit our rather narrow range of ideal endure (both from external and internal sources).
I know it’s not a contest, but c’mon now.

I, too, have been suuuuper skinny (when I was younger by virtue of my genetic hand and when I was a bit older because I tend not to eat when I’m depressed), and – while there were those who’d make snide comments – the overwhelming reaction was, “Wow, you look so great! How do you do it?” (Funny you should ask – (1) by being 19 and having stick-thin parents and then (2) because my husband cheated on and left me for a contractor while he was deployed. Cheers!)
It helped that, even in statistically-unhealthy BMI-territory, I sport C/D-Cups. “Oh! I can make assumptions about this stranger’s life and personality because she’s skinny and stacked!”
And the girl in that pic?
I didn’t immediately see her as photoshopped all to hell. I can actually see one of my older daughters looking very much like her in a few years. Though they eat like wee horses, you can count their little ribs (yet they somehow have nascent six packs o_o ) and their arms and legs are (proportionally) thick and muscular (mostly because we’re fortunate to have enough of a yard so making them go outside and play can be a thing).
But my major worry for them (related to their body/body image) as they get older is who may try to take advantage of them during that window when (a) their bodies are naturally and effortlessly like that and (2) their neocortices aren’t fully mature.
On the other hand, my youngest takes more after her father. She currently weighs nearly as much as my middle child (5 years her senior) – broad chest and back; thick, solid legs and arms; and a stomach just sheathed in muscle beneath her little layer of young childhood.
I worry for her because I fear that as she gets older she will internalize our society’s messages about “acceptable beauty” and attempt to emulate the body type of her sisters – something that it would be unrealistic and unhealthy for her.
I worry for her because she’s probably going to be more Korra and less Asami ( 😀 ) and I’ve seen how difficult self-acceptance can be for women who deviate even a bit from the “ideal” that flits about in our collective æther.

It’s not a competition, but it’s a lot easier to love your body (especially if you’re young and haven’t yet completely owned yourself) if it bears a resemblance to those that we see held up everywhere in the media as what’s “right” than of you have to work through those to find bodily self-acceptance.

That’s why it’s especially annoying to me when MRA a-holes whine about Dove commercials (or whatever) showing a range of body types.
You’ve seen their complaints – they’ll throw a graphic fit, pouting, “You want us to think that [this] is attractive when we want to think that [that] is attractive! Whaaah!”
No, it’s not about you, shitlord, and what pleases your boner – it’s about helping people to see variety in media representation because representation matters in self-perception (SCIENCE!)

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

@M.

Dare I ask…?

mildlymagnificent

I know one woman who has allowed her hair to go grey and has a traffic stopping brilliant red streak/wave/swatch across the front.

She’s worth a double-sided misandry medal I reckon.

Lea
Lea

mildlymagnificent,
That sounds fantastic!

maistrechat

re:hair dye

I always wanted to be able to dye my hair, but it reacts in bizarre never-before-seen ways and I end up looking like a curly-haired Ichigo no matter what color I started as.

re:Nethack
I switched to Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup when I got a computer without a numpad, but didn’t enjoy it as much as Nethack. Still put way too much time in it though. I think I was just too used to the way Nethack worked so I never got very good at the others. Even Nethack was an adjustment for me though – I started with MacMoria.

Bina
Bina

My hair doesn’t take dye very well. I can dye it, but it won’t last a week, so…sigh. Oh well, at least it’s naturally auburn, naturally curly, and going white in interesting streaks. I guess I can misander with the best of ’em no matter what!

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

Everything else aside, this pathetic excuse for a meme once again demonstrates that brodouches of any variety, MRA or hashtag GamerGater alike all think that economical privilege is the only privilege that matters in society.

That, and “female privilege”, which apparently means getting some kind of magical “victim points” in exchange for being the victim of harassment and abuse. Victim points that don’t have any actual use or value in society, mind you, but any sympathy a woman might get from anyone after being targeted by these piss stains is, after all, misandry.

Assholes.

gilshalos

Oh! Moria! I played Moria! I have one of its descendants on my computer currently. I just never kept track of what the names of new versions were.

Newt
Newt

I found the Nethack->DCSS changes difficult at first, but it soon won me over, with its cool new player races and gods every months. Especially when I noticed some effort had gone into pronoun-dodging.

Hair dye! Entirely by coincidence, I coloured my hair (or rather, half of it) about the time gamergate was kicking off. Everything they’ve said since has made me more comfortable to identify with the SJW label, and I don’t feel like letting it grow out yet.

Noadi

My hair is currently pink with yellow streaks in the front. Also rather faded and grown out right now because I needed to give my hair a break before I dye it again. I wish it has stopped all the douches from contacting me.

Seems like I sometimes can’t go a week without some dude asking if I dye everywhere. Eww eww eww! Also ow ow ow because my hair is naturally quite dark so I have to bleach it first. Hair bleach does not belong in certain areas.

cassandrakitty

If you encounter a no sense of appropriate boundaries dude again you should tell him that you also dye your armpit and nose hair, and offer to show him.

kittehserf

My hair’s very dark brown with a dash of black to keep the grey roots (which is most of ’em) and the gingery fading at the ends under control. Nothing like my natural hair colour, thank goodness. 😀 But I haven’t seen that in thirty years. I’d probably be all grey if I stopped getting it coloured, but I’m not ready to do that, not by a long chalk. Apart from anything else, Mr K might feel compelled to make his hair grey to keep up, and I don’t want to lose the sight of that lovely black hair!

Falconer

@gilshalos:

Wasn’t one of its descendants a little game called, like, Diablo or something? /snark

(My wrist hurts just thinking about that game. I wore out a mouse playing it …)

dudeinthewoods

Buttercup Q. Skullpants, “pink” in that context usually means “vagina”

Bina
Bina

“Does the carpet match the drapes?”, leer. Skeeviest pickup line EVER.

And if anyone ever got action out of that, it would be news to me.

cassandrakitty

A drink thrown in their face counts as an action, right?

Bina
Bina

Well, more of a reaction, really. But not the kind they were hoping for, I’m sure.

weirwoodtreehugger

I thought it was misandry to have pubic hair these days anyway.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Buttercup Q. Skullpants, “pink” in that context usually means “vagina

O______________________________o

Because only white women have vaginas.

(Thanks for the explanation, dudeinthewoods…I knew it was something I would regret googling)

tigtog

Buttercup Q. Skullpants, mucosal membranes in humans tend to be pinkish no matter what the external skin colour might be (think about mouths and tongues). You’re not confusing vaginas with vulvas, are you?

kittehserf

It’s misandry to have any hair except on the scalp, eyebrows and eyelashes, apparently.

GOOD.

cassandrakitty

I think last time we tried to think of things that weren’t misandry we failed to come up with anything.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

tigtog – I’m well aware of the difference, but I don’t think MRAs are. Most of them seem to have only the most cursory familiarity with female anatomy.

kittehserf

Pretty much, because everything a woman can do (and even ones she can’t) manage to be misandry for some dude somewhere.

cassandrakitty

Everything we do, we do it for you!

(Lies)

kittehserf

I suppose we could say we’re misandering for them … at least, if we thought about them at all when we do stuff. It’s a bonus, isn’t it: do stuff for ourselves, do stuff for people we like/care about/fancy and vice versa, and with no effort at all, misander!

gilshalos

Thinking of hair dye, I have a friend who dyed her natural blonde hair dark brown. Which is not the normal way round. She looked good as a brunette, but the main reason she did it was she had naturally black/dark eyebrows. She got so fed up with people assuming she dyed her hair blonde that she dyed it to match them 🙂

gilshalos

Also @Falconer Yes, I have ALL the Diablos 🙂

Falconer

@cassandrakitty:

A drink thrown in their face counts as an action, right?

Standard action! Ranged touch attack!

… Dammit, those D&D rules arguments have worn a groove in my brain.

Falconer

@gilshalos: I moved up to Torchlight recently, but I spent more time comparing my new loot to my current equipment to see if the loot was better than running around playing the game.

That, and this one time the boss got me and the lag prevented me from telling my friends before they got the boss, so I didn’t get any XP. Poo.

Amelia C. Gormley

Reblogged this on The fiction of Amelia C. Gormley and commented:
If I’d known about We Hunted The Mammoth a year ago, I would have featured them in Player vs. Player. What an amazing site for keeping track of what GamerGate and the MRAs and PUAs are up to.