#gamergate zoe quinn

READ THIS: How Zoe Quinn's angry ex-boyfriend not only started what became #GamerGate but directed it behind the scenes

As Eron Gjoni sees it, the harassment Zoe Quinn has endured because of his actions isn't a big deal because she has a Patreon
As Eron Gjoni apparently sees it, the harassment Zoe Quinn has endured because of his actions isn’t a big deal because she has a Patreon account.

I‘m on a brief blog hiatus, but I wanted to direct your attention to idledillettante’s definitive account of how Eron Gjoni, Zoe Quinn’s vengeful ex-boyfriend, not only launched what became #GamerGate but has shaped and directed  it both in public and behind the scenes. And it’s all carefully documented with screenshots of Gjoni’s own words online — on 4chan, on Reddit, on Twitter, and on his own blog, often in direct violation of the restraining order that’s supposed to prohibit him talking about Quinn online.

Here’s idledilletante’s summary of the whole sordid story:

1. Eron knowingly promoted his tell-all blog post about Quinn on 4chan, knowing it was likely to cause harassment.

2. Rather than try to quell the harassment (As he might have you believe), Gjoni actually basked in the attention, to try and stir up even more agita against his ex.

3. Once confronted with his actions, Eron tried to distance himself from #gamergate, and move his involvement of Quinn behind the scenes. Unfortunately we have evidence of this string-pulling.

4. Eron’s fight against his restraining order is merely a continuation of the harassment he was already engaging in. If he wins his legal battle he’s likely to post even more private info about Quinn as a reward for his backers.

5. Gjoni has essentially ruined his good name in pursuit of this revenge quest. He knows this, and it makes him bitter that his plans to sideline Quinn in her own industry have backfired so spectacularly.

6. Gjoni sexually harasses women critical of him; especially when caught in a lie or backed into a corner logically. I find this a telling clue about his real attitude about women, although Gjoni claims to be a feminist.

But I suggest you read the whole thing; the details are creepy and revealing indeed.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

Err, AC 5, not AC 4. They pump those things out so quickly I always lose track.

Policy of Madness

The laughable part is that there are so many game reviewers that it is pretty easy to find one who does follow your personal tastes. There are reviewers who give AAA games 10/10 and everything else lower marks. The GGers don’t lack for reviewers they can trust to give them the info they want, but they don’t want anyone else to be able to claim the same thing. They want all reviewers to follow their personal criteria, not just 60%.

tedthefed
tedthefed

@Policy of Madness

I think they harp on Gone Home because they actually have an explanation for why people say they like it (of course, no one REALLY likes it): it’s about gay people, which means lefties HAVE to support it, even while gritting their teeth and disliking the actual experience of playing the game. They actually, seriously believe people who say they like Gone Home are martyring themselves, playing an unfun game because it’s been deemed to have the Correct Values. And the makers of the game are laughing all the way to the bank.

I really think the most dangerous message the right has been able to spread is the “Stuff White People Like” idea that no one really HAS progressive values; they just act like they do because of all the social capital it brings. It’s taken serious hold (I even hear lefties criticize other lefties for it all the time), and it’s a trenchantly effective attack.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

The stupid part… Well, one of the many stupid parts… Is that when Gone Home was first released, every future #Gater I know loved the hell out of it right up until they reached the “Gay reveal” at the end, then suddenly it was worse than Atari ET.

But don’t you dare call them homophobic. *rolls eyes*

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

Minor clarification in case of lurking trolls (because there are always lurking trolls =P): No, I’m not talking about different groups of people, or even different members of the same group of people. I’m literally talking about the same people.

DJG
DJG

@ cassandra/kittehserf/guest – sorry; recalling similar instances of trans exclusion from a while back, I thought it would sound too scolding to push back against, if not presumption of universal male interest in women, then at least erasure, more openly. (I also thought “idiot” wasn’t a word one uses here, and personally would change “girl” to “woman”, but those were minor points.) A double apology if “dude” necessarily applies only to males of the hetero orientation; such wasn’t my understanding, but I’ll accept persuasion to the contrary.

maistrechat

@M

Which says something about critical thinking skills, considering that the “reveal” was pretty obvious pretty early on. Hell, one of the voice-overs even mentions how shocked she was that her parents didn’t know.

I don’t know, I loved Gone Home and even though it barely ran on my (now deceased) computer I played through it multiple times.

Ebert criticised video games for not being “art” partially on the grounds that he saw them as being a competition more like a football match than an actual artistic endeavor. He got a lot of flack for it from gamers. Now they are going after any games that aren’t like the very ones Ebert criticized.

tedthefed
tedthefed

I think the gay reveal also coincided with the growing realization that this wasn’t a horror game after all, and so there probably wasn’t going to be any violence.

Not counting what happened to the dad, of course (not that anyone like this is gonna be detail-oriented enough to actually open the safe). But hey, THAT violence is all about FEELINGS and RELATIONSHIPS anyway, so who even cares about that.

(no but seriously that moment when you realize how he must have felt watching his daughter make a big game of trying to contact the ghost of his uncle holy shit)

Orion

@policy,

I think part of the problem there is that they care about MetaCritic scores.

Bina
Bina

Tea tree oil is toxic if used in high enough quantities and can cause confusion, paranoia and hallucinations.

Ha, you don’t say…

Also, it’s very harsh and stings like a motherfucker. Has to be diluted quite a bit before it doesn’t burn the skin. So much so that any anti-STD effect he’s hoping to get out of it would be nil. It might help if your worst problem is a raging case of scalp ringworm or athlete’s foot, but on the genitalia it would only hurt like hell, and the most you could treat with it there would be jock itch. Honestly, are condoms really THAT bad?

Bina
Bina

The idea that you can just wash off any STDs you come into contact with is depressingly common, but the coconut oil thing was new to me, I have to say. I mean, if you have dry hair, then by all means lather on the coconut oil, but it lacks that certain something in terms of STD prevention.

I don’t imagine it being a very good sex lube, either. It’s quite crumbly in its solid state, and when melted, it’s too runny. Plus, oils are NEVER a good thing to put on one’s nether regions. Water-based lubes are best.

Karalora

But…if no one really had those values, how would professing them bring social capital? Doesn’t this model assume that at least at some point, there was someone who was both a) genuinely progressive and b) powerful enough to spread their values through a social reward/punishment system? And if it worked well enough to get a whole bunch of people playing along, what happened to that initial person/group?

Karalora

Hail Blockquote Monster! I was quoting tedthefed there.

Policy of Madness

I think part of the problem there is that they care about MetaCritic scores.

Yes, but you see, that’s ridiculous.

Not that I need to tell you that.

Which raises the question of why, if everyone individually believes one thing, they then start acting like they believe the opposite thing when you get them together in a group.

tedthefed
tedthefed

I think it’s something something something liberal elites something college professors Hollywood something something.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

The purpose it to undermine the credibility of the opposition. History teaches us that it works a treat.

Puddleglum

I use tea tree oil all the time as a deoderant, no general problems with stinging (oil of oregano, on the other hand…). Not that I would put it anywhere sensitive, cuz that’s just silly.

As for the coconut oil, I remember reading some weird article about using it as a mouthwash to get rid of cavities (no, really), so maybe he thinks the same thing applies to his dick?

Hahahaha, tea tree oil + coconut oil is the new ‘snake’ oil! Hahahahahahahaha! Er. Ahem.

Puddleglum

dammit, wrong thread.

10knives
10knives

“I really think the most dangerous message the right has been able to spread is the “Stuff White People Like” idea that no one really HAS progressive values; they just act like they do because of all the social capital it brings.”

Isn’t this sort of true, though? I mean, the general idea behind privilege is that the Majority rarely cares much about these Other on their own, right? We like fetishising the oppressed in fiction, when it is sanitised, trivialised or “non-judgemental” rather than take actual risked helping people who are different and systemically deprived.

In fact, I’ve heard similar attitudes to this expressed in these very comments threads – that most liberals and male feminists don’t concern themselves with SJ outside of making themselves look good.

twincats
twincats

Super serum?? That’s pretty harebrained and Mr. Juicebro, Esq. is all the ew. It really sounds like he pulls this stuff directly from his personal observations mixed with the stuff he finds up his posterior. I can do it too*, watch:

I was a very sexually active young woman back in the 80’s and I guess I would have to characterize most of that activity as ‘raw doggin’ it as Juicebro terms it. My partners ran the gamut from gamma males to a few that even Mr. Juicebro, Esq. could never categorize as anything but alpha. I hereby conclude that he is full of it because never once did I get addicted to any one guy’s SUPER SYRUP. Not even the alphas’.

Also, no one had heard of tea tree oil or the consumer use of coconut oil at that time**. Once I got back stateside (I spent half of the 80’s in the US military stationed in Europe) and learned about the AIDS epidemic, ‘raw doggin’ went straight out the window, I got tested (negative, whew!) and never attributed that to anything besides dumb good luck.

*By which I mean come to an unfounded conclusion based only on my personal experience.

**How would that even work for a woman? Would you have to use it as a douche? Eek!

tedthefed
tedthefed

10knives: I’ve seen that too, and it always bewilders me that progressives will willingly take one of the right’s talking points and use it to attack one another.

Goes hand-in-hand with a related thing, which is someone needing to have “pure” reasons for being progressive, a standard that is everchanging and idiosyncratic, not to mention impossible. Fighting injustice is socially valued, especially in certain communities; someone who does it is going to run the risk of looking good as a result. Using that fact as a way to undermine their motives or actions is making sure that 95% of people can’t “really” be progressive.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

That’s fucking sick and you’re a fucking idiot.

kittehserf

Oh ffs DJG, this is talking about men stalking and abusing women and that’s what Ian’s comment referred to. Those men are the ones being addressed. If this abusive behaviour is not about you, why make it about you?

10knives
10knives

“That’s fucking sick and you’re a fucking idiot.”

I fail to see how the idea “people like to take the easy way out and indulge our egos with fiction” is really that controversial.

kittehserf

M, I read 10knives’ comment to mean “we” as a society – were you reading it/disagreeing with it that way, or something else? I’m a bit puzzled too.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

I guess it is a question of “What “we”, white man.”
People assume wide spectrum where they may only be a narrow group they are a member of.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I’m still trying to figure out how it works, that process whereby people can’t handle any criticism of a game they like. It happens sometimes with music or movie reviews too, especially music, where fans get pissy and write “Angry of Milton Keynes vehemently disagrees with your assessment of this new album, which is actually better than the Beatles, I’ll have you know” letters, but I’ve never seen an overreaction on the gamergate scale. The only time I’ve seen anything even vaguely similar is from teenage fans of boy bands, who do the “this isn’t for you so you shouldn’t write about it” thing too*, but they don’t send death threats or try to destroy media outlets for the crime of disagreeing with them, which is probably part lack of male socialization and part not being immersed in the chan culture. It seems like the emotional impulse is similar though, which would make sense if we didn’t know for a fact that not all gamergaters are kids.

*For some inexplicable reason the Guardian decided to publish an article about One Direction, and the comments were about the mix of baffled regulars and fans angry that their genius wasn’t being properly recognized that you’d expect

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

Oh, I thought 10Knives meant “We” as in this blog, given their second paragraph. Nevermind then, sorry. ^^;; Coffee required.

10knives
10knives

Hmmm, can see what you mean – bad syntax on that first post, should’ve been clearer.

I still aren’t sure if the consensus of this blog’s commenters is that compassion and open-mindedness is especially common amongst most human beings – from my point of view, commenters here say no, it ain’t.

Policy of Madness

Having to be prompted at some point in one’s life to think about those who are less privileged is hardly the same as:

Are you seriously arguing, to me, that I am not stating my values honestly?

One Hugo Swizzlestick does not equate to every male feminist being a big ol’ faker and I’m not sure why anyone who isn’t trying on purpose to be divisive would suggest that.

10knives
10knives

“Are you seriously arguing, to me, that I am not stating my values honestly?”

No. I was bringing up the idea that most majority people don’t care about the oppressed.

DJG
DJG

@ kittehserf – That’s why I called it an easy fix. Change it to: “Note to all *women-loving* dudes” – fixed, done, sentiment agreed.

kittehserf

Why? The context made it perfectly clear. If a man’s not interested in women, he’s not going to be the one throwing a hissy fit about rejection.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

If the cause of contention is that Ian’s comment was heterocentric, well, yeah, because it was about straight men doing shitty things to women. Everyone else’s comments have been heterocentric too, because the subject of the conversation is a straight guy who’s trying to sic the internet on his ex, so I’m not sure why Ian’s in particular got called out.

Also, I’m not straight either, so here’s one vote for “no can we please not annotate every comment about het dating with a reminder that people who aren’t straight exist too, because it’s redundant and not every conversation is about us” from the non-hetero camp. Others may of course disagree.

Puddleglum

I’m confused about the context too. I mean, this is about a het man stalking a woman (I actually can’t remember if she is het/bi/queer). Addressing a comment to all het men in association with this subject kinda works.

Though I do think that this advice really applies to absolutely everyone, regardless of sex, gender or orientation, so I see expanding the application as a completely good thing. But there wasn’t anything wrong with the original, given the context.

kittehserf

It’s like a Not All Men Are Het comment – well duh, we know that and it wasn’t about gay or bi men. The whole fucking GG shit came from misogyny, so I’m really, really side-eyeing any attempt to divert the subject from male abuse of women to talking about gay men or anything else. Hello, this conversation has women in the centre of it, and it’s on a misogyny-mocking blog, yet somehow we have to take time out to soothe the feelings of some other men?

Fuck that.

Policy of Madness

Yes, in the context of agreeing with:

There’s a big difference between “most majority people don’t care about the oppressed” and “nobody has progressive values.” Most “majority” people are actually not a numerical majority at all, and “nobody has progressive values” would include you telling me that I am a lying liar, because I am somebody and I say that I have progressive values.

This is the thicket you get into when you start talking in absolutes, so maybe try not to do that when you don’t have personal knowledge of the universe of possibilities.

Bogdan Cvetkovic

TL;DR version: Zoe’s boyfriend might as well have been lying about absolutely everything. A pack of devils are more trustworthy than he is.

Lea
Lea

Where are people who think this from? All over Amerikkka it is barely safe to openly hold progressive values. (The people who hate you are pro-gun and think violence is a great way to punish people who are un-American) It makes you an outcast, not a “real American”, the enemy of freedom and a pinko commie bastard. It makes it impossible to hold office and can cost you a job. I had to quit a job once because the women I worked with found out that I went to a Pride Picnic and they kept talking about me and mine (especially my gay relative who has killed himself) going to hell until I couldn’t take it anymore. I knew people who never attended a Pride event because they fear being shot and they should be afraid. It could happen. I have worked with people (different job) who said they would like to shoot homosexuals. People are still disowned for being in biracial relationships or for being LGBTQ. People here think that ablism is OK and depression is caused by personal weakness. Undocumented immigrant workers are hired to work the tobacco, but they are demonized by the same people who hire them for low wages. There is no social capital to be gained by disagreeing with the status quo. None. Bigotry is the norm in the US, not the exception.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I live in an area where having fairly progressive values is the norm, but even here, drive for a couple of hours in any direction other than directly out into the Pacific and you’ll find yourself in the kind of environment Lea is talking about pretty soon. Mr C and I once thought some dudes in lumberjack shirts were about to beat him up for walking into a bar holding my hand, and that particular town is only a 2 hour drive from San Francisco.

DJG
DJG

@ cassandra – The vast majority of the time I don’t bother with *unnecessarily* heterocentric comments (obviously, given the nature of this site, there will be a great deal of reasonable heterocentrism here); this one just set me off, and it was a very close call. “Note to dudes” without the *all* wouldn’t have bothered me; “if you’re interested in a woman and she doesn’t” instead of, “if a woman you’re interested in doesn’t” wouldn’t have bothered me. As written, the comment seemed to be going *out of the way* to imply that all men are interested in women beyond just being a remark in a thread about women-pursuing men. Others have reasonably disagreed. Part (most?) of why I said something this time was that this was an easy fix of the sort that carries over.

In retrospect, “improvement” seems better than “fix”; the implication would have been more accurate.

Thank you for your reasonable tone. I see kittehserf’s points, accept that I was inappropriate here, and shall make a sincere effort not to repeat the offence.

weirwoodtreehugger

Progressive is the norm in my city too, but you only have to drive about fifteen minutes to get into the congressional district that elected Michelle Bachman. Maybe conservatives living in progressive areas feel pressure to conform but you really have to have your head up your ass to think this is the case in the entire country. Maybe this fuckhead spends so much time trolling lefty websites and getting his ass handed to him that he forgets anything else exists.

ted the fed
ted the fed

I don’t think people presume that voicing progressive values will make you everyone’s best friend, but just that talking about how progressive you are is a way that people try to seem hip, educated, or noble. And therefore, you can just assume that anyone who makes a big deal of it is just trying to pass themselves off that way. It obviously doesn’t make much sense (though it’s consistent with their larger narrative of conservatives being reasonable and a bigger group, but liberals being well-connected and youthful), but it’s thrown around all the time.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

@ DJG

I’m pretty sure the going out of his way to be exclusionary thing is something you’re projecting rather than something that actually happened, tbh.

@ted the fed

Except that hipsters are a tiny minority of, at least, American culture. And they catch a lot of shit because people (IMHO correctly) recognize that hipsterism is a way to brag about how fake you can be.

I’m not denying that it happens, but “it happens” is a far, far, far cry from “every single so-called progressive is lying bar none.”

Yeah, there is a big contradiction in assuming that the larger, majority group is conservative and yet liberalism somehow is the philosophy that exerts inescapable peer pressure.

but it’s thrown around all the time.

That doesn’t make it true, and my issue is with 10knives (and whoever else) claiming that it’s actually totes true. Not with people acknowledging that some fools spread this story and discussing that, but with the assertion that the story reflects reality.

Mohamed Mahdi

I really do think Eron is really terrible now since I learned the stuff I did not know of the whole zoe quinn story from what idle recently wrote. Is what he did enough to charge him or will he have to continue to fight a very long court battle with Zoe which is most likely not favorable for him and will probably hurt him or not help him much in the end.

titianblue
titianblue

FTFY

titianblue
titianblue

Oops, thought there was a “not” in there. Sorry. /embarrassed

Policy of Madness

Actually there is something weird in that comment.

What’s with the big concern about what is favorable to EG and what is likely to help EG in the end?