off topic open thread

Open Thread for Personal Stuff, December 2014 Cat Tree Edition

At We Hunted the Mammoth headquarters, the tree is already up.
At We Hunted the Mammoth headquarters, the tree is already up.

An open thread for personal stuff, continuing from here.

As usual for these threads: no trolls, no MRAs, no Iโ€™m-not-really-an-MRA-buts, donโ€™t be mean.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Does your cat hate the smell of anything that you don’t mind? Like vinegar? You could maybe leave an open bowl of it next to the door as repellant.

However, if this were my problem I would probably wind up wedging a piece of plywood against the door with a cinderblock at night. I don’t mind unsightly solutions.

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

People often recommend applying double-sided tape to furniture to deter scratching, because cats don’t like how it feels on their paws. It might also work on a door.

Random health question: I used to have low blood pressure and I’d have occasional fainting spells. Now, apparently, I have normal blood pressure, and I have frequent fainting spells. Anyone have ideas what could be wrong? (My blood sugar is fine too.)

kittehserf

katz, no idea, sorry!

contrapangloss

Katz, if you can afford the time and money to stop in and see a doc, stop in to see a doc.

I wish I had an idea, but I don’t really have a clue.

๐Ÿ™

grumpyoldnurse

@ katz – That’s weird. Please get checked out!

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

I have that low blood pressure be very careful standing up because if you do it too fast you will keel over problem.
Blood pressure does not stay the same all the time so you may still have low and not realize it.
Some fire stations and pharmacies will give blood pressure tests if going to the doc is out of the question for you,

I actually just got it checked at the pharmacy and it was 120/80.

mildlymagnificent

The scratching at the door. The first thing I’d do would be to give it a good cleaning, both sides, washing with plenty of water to get rid of any smells – attractive or otherwise – that might be influencing the cat.

Give it a couple of days … either that will do the trick or you’ll have to think of something else because I can’t.

kittehserf

That fucking Sydney Lindt Cafe murderer. Charged as an accessory to the murder of his ex-wife last year. 40 charges of sexual assault against seven women.

And yet he was out on bail.

But yeah, we take violence against women seriously.

grumpyoldnurse

Easy, there, kittehserf! I mean, it’s not like he killed or assaulted a human – No, sorry, I can’t with the sarcastic, passive-aggressive screed right now. You’re right, this makes me very, very angry. I can’t even mock this, I’m too angry.

I’m fed up with this shit, and I don’t know what to do about it.

So, I’m going to eat popcorn and read some nifty Captain Hook fanfic that this cool lady on the internet told me about, and cuddle my kids when they get home (Mr.Grump is buying them ice skates) and pretend that there’s no patriarchy or capitalism or any of the other horrible isms that threaten everything I hold dear.

Could you nice people please call me when the revolution or Ragnarok starts? Either one would suit me fine about now.

kittehserf

Have some extra hugs from me, grumpyoldnurse!

Ice skates! Lovely! I just hope you don’t have any dogs who fancy themselves as ice skating champions. Mr K’s dog Q tried that once and brought us all down in a heap. Given Miss Katiekins was riding on my shoulder at the time, this was Not A Good Thing.

grumpyoldnurse

Oh, no! Furinati pile with their servants!!

Actually, alas, we are furry overlordless at the moment ๐Ÿ™ Much sad.

Also, no affordable ice skates in Master Grump’s size! Much more sad. There’s a place in town, though, that will let you trade in your kids’ old skates for new ones, for a marginal fee, so Mr.Grump will check it out tomorrow. It’s not back to seasonal weather here, yet, but it has been consistently below freezing for a few days now, so the outdoor rinks are mostly good to go!

Thanks for the hugs, and more right back at you!

Skye

That’s some rap sheet to get bail for. I can’t even.

I’m going to just stare at Falconer’s alt universe Skywalker clan and play pretend

grumpyoldnurse

@ Skye – that’s the wisest course of action!

contrapangloss

Skye, me too.

saphy
saphy

Sydney seige is over. My friend works for the husband of the woman who was killed, so it’s a sad day at the law firm ๐Ÿ™

It’s a sad day for everyone, really.

I wonder how long before someone starts using the gunman’s refugee status to further demonise refugees? It feels cold that I am thinking about that already when people are dead, but surely I can’t be the only one.

Saphy: Condolences to you and to everyone else in Sydney. What an awful thing to happen.

mildlymagnificent

Thatโ€™s some rap sheet to get bail for. I canโ€™t even.

That’s true for the sexual assault charges. Apparently the murder of his ex-wife was pretty much his partner’s own work entirely. His lawyer’s been on teev saying that bail was granted on the basis of the magistrate’s (and the lawyer’s own) assessment that the prosecution case for his involvement in the murder was pretty weak.

There’s some argument that if the new laws on bail in NSW were in force (not until the end of January) he might not have got bail on the other charges.

kittehserf

Given he was involved in a bitter custody dispute with his ex wife at the time, and had been a controlling and abusive PoS to her before, I really side-eyed the claim that he didn’t have anything to do with her murder.

grumpyoldnurse, you are overlordless? NOOOOOOOO!

I’ve emailed you a pic of the Great Skating Disaster of 2012, btw. ๐Ÿ™‚

maistrechat

My condolences to the Australian crowd. I’m not sure what else I can really say there without delving into platitudes.

Cat-thing: Part of the issue is that we have new neighbors across the hall who have a dog. I’m guessing this is part of the cause but as a result I’m not sure that washing the door will deal with smells – apparently the dog is obsessed with our cat food and throws a huge tantrum whenever we feed the cats. I’m wandering if he’s doing something similar with the dog’s food.

Falconer

That whole Sydney situation sounds just awful. I’m sorry he got out on bail.

Probably the Skywalker clan pic is the best strategy right now, indeed.

(Just to be clear — it’s not my work. I wish I could draw like that, but my figure work is just too stiff, probably overworked.)

Falconer

… Can I take a moment to complain about Padme dying of a broken heart? Goddammit, woman, you’re made of sterner stuff! Ahem, excuse me.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Can I take a moment to complain about Padme dying of a broken heart?

Feel free. That was such a weaksauce resolution to her story that I honestly couldn’t believe what I was seeing the first time I watched that movie.

Falconer

I suppose we had little to expect, because it was established that Mama Skywalker died when Leia was “very young,” but going down fighting the Empire would have been so much better. Really, that whole movie she just served as a source of man pain.

Also, don’t they have sonograms in a galaxy far, far away? I suppose they might have made the decision to be surprised, but it seems like any Jedi could have sensed two heartbeats, and there’s plenty of excuse to do that after Anakin assaults her. Ben could have said, better check the baby’s all right, hey wait.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I think Return of the Jedi established that Leia did remember her mother. I recall that she said that her mother was very sad all the time. I suppose she could have been referring to her adopted mother and not her birth mom, but that scene didn’t give me that impression at the time and I don’t think it was intended that way at the time.

Puddleglum

Baroque Obama is fabulous!

Puddleglum

I was having a good day, and then I read about Pakistan. All the sads, all the feels. Going to look at kitty pictures now.

Falconer

Uh oh. What happened in Pakistan? Off to go look.

Falconer

Jesus wept.

Fibinachi

Katz – you considered maybe your iron levels? Lack of oxygen carrying capacity can lead to fainting while still being masked by other possibles (“I’m dizzy? Must be the blood pressure”). Alternatively, vitamin d defeciency lead to fainting. The easiest way to rule those two out is to eat some spinach – a lot – the wait 24 to see if there’s some stabilization.

Otherwise, get thee to a doctor!

Fibinachi

Wait 24 hours, that is.

Seriously though the doctor is the better solution.

kittehserf

That’s not Baroque Obama! That’s not even Roccoco Obama! That’s French Revolutionary Obama!

/art & fashion history pedant

(Adorable bit of photoshopping, though. Every man should release his inner Sir Percy Blakeney, Bt.)

Skye

Those poor kids. That’s horrifying. According to the AP article I saw even the Afghan Taliban is decrying this attack.

Skye

I feel sorry for all the victims, not just the kids, but…so many children

Falconer

@kittehs: It can’t be French Revolutionary Obama, nobody’s singing!

Falconer

Crap, forgot — Les Mis is the wrong revolution!

kittehserf

Yup, bit later on, that one! ๐Ÿ˜€

But if Sir Percy Obama is reciting poetry, who needs singing?

They seek him here
They seek him there
Those GOPers seek him everywhere
Is he in heaven, or is he in hell?
That demmed elusive Pimpernel

Falconer

See, my go-to was Blackadder III’s idiot Prince of Wales.

I read Pimpernel back in 2000, in of all places Strasbourg, and enjoyed it, although I think I’m too much of a populist to really get behind the book.

kittehserf

It’s a really long time since I read it – high school, probably – but I recognised that shot from the Anthony Andrews TV film from about 1980. I loved that film, which had a rather youthful Ian McKellen as Chauvelin.

Also Jane Seymour had the BEST WIGS in that one.

Falconer

Maybe I’ve been reading too many children’s books lately, but I read the Pimpernel poem and my brain immediately coughs out:

That Pimpernel!
That Pimpernel!
I do not like that Pimpernel!

(Obviously it’s an officer of the Terror speaking.)

Lea
Lea

Baroque Obama made my day.

Amnesia
Amnesia

Minako got spayed today. You know, the instructions they gave me and the stuff I’d read online had me expecting more lethargy, but I let her out of her crate for food/litter and now she won’t stop moving.

kittehserf

She’s Miss Energy Cat! ๐Ÿ™‚

Well, that was a strange day. We had a break-in. Mum answered the doorbell (it took her a while to get there – she’d been napping and Fribs was napping on top of her) and nobody was there. She goes back into the lounge and there’s a man walking up the hallway from the back. He claimed he’d come to the wrong house! Yeah, because you always break into a house via the back window when you’re looking for someone, dude. And you always pull a bedside drawer out.

Scary, but at least he did just use his bizarre story and go – he didn’t attack Mum (I was out, or he’d not have come in: I get to the door much faster than Mum can and I suspect he thought there was nobody home). I just hope he doesn’t come back. I’ve called the police and our agents about it. We need a new screen on the window, preferably a security screen this time!

contrapangloss

Kittehs, that’s a bit of an eep!

Glad your mum’s okay and that he took his stupid story and left quietly.

kittehserf

Thanks, contrapangloss! Eep is right. Mum seems to be okay: she said later she was almost thinking she dreamed it, though the sad state of the window screen shows it happened.

We had a good evening watching The Scarlet Pimpernel – on VHS, no less. Yay Anthony Andrews!

gilshalos

Someone has a twisted sense of humour.

There I was, walking back to my parent’s house on a cool, dry winter’s day. ‘I’m enjoying this’, I thought. ‘I should return to taking daily walks back home…urk!’

The urk is when I stumbled, falling painfully to the ground.

Puddleglum

I’ve had cats I could have done this with.