#gamergate

Five pictures that make less sense than #GamerGate

Er, what?
Er, what?

Any mostly rational person who has looked into the shared hallucination that is #GamerGate has no doubt noticed that it makes no damn sense whatsoever. (An alleged movement for journalistic integrity that embraces Milo Yiannopoulos of Breitbart?)

What you may not know is that there are things in this world that actually make LESS sense than #GamerGate. Here are five of them.

1) This dude in gold lame shorts.

d463a437438e6105381a27388b0f5944

2) This dinosaur on a bicycle.

2515686c2665fccc2e6f84063c414995

3) This skateboarder

skateb

4) These creepy rabbits.

096d99134838d268392a77e681bb39e1

5) The couch dress.

b4a870362bee4351a77828a8a5b19421

(Real posts resume tomorrow.)

Alex

The couch dress looks fun.

chaltab
chaltab

All these pictures still make more sense than Gamergate.

proxieme
proxieme

Is that a Totoro hat?

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

You mean we’re not sitting in uncomfortable wire chairs while wearing gold lame shorts and cutesy hand crafted animal touques when we service the furinatti any more? When did this stop being a thing?!?!

kittehserf

kittehserf

grumpyoldnurse – it was a directive from the Feminist High Council. The Furrinati Overlords informed them that the novelty had worn off.

Robert
Robert

Purple toupee and gold lame. . .
blame They Might Be Giants.

weirwoodtreehugger

Here’s my contribution to the pictures that make less sense than gamergate.

weirwoodtreehugger

Why do most pictures embed and some post as a link? I’m confused. Dastardly wordpress!

Bina
Bina

Bike-riding Dino has all my admiration for making such a clunky costume work. (I’m assuming he’s on his way to a Halloween costume party.) And Skateboarding Suit Guy is actually quite dashing. But yeah: Gold lamé shorts AND a crocheted piggy flap hat? Even the cat wants nothing to do with it.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Does anyone recognize what character hat wire hard chair guy is wearing?

mildlymagnificent

kittehserf. I once had to wear a dress like that, just not _quite_ as wide, as a costume for an opera at school. Great fun to get around on stage. Not quite so much fun getting in and out of dressing rooms and through the wings. Even less fun trying to get into a very average sized cubicle in the loos. At least the weirdly shaped hoop was made of some fairly flexible stuff so you could, sort of, bend a good part of the bulk around you, but it was bloody difficult at times.

Nequam
Nequam

I suspect it depends on whether your URL starts with http: or https:.

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

Some one on the FHC hates me. ::takes off silly touque and stands up from uncomfortable wire chair, but keeps gold lame shorts::

Alex Murphy
Alex Murphy

Somewhat gg related, not sure if David has seen this one yet…

Meet ‘Polina’ aka Eva Braun. The artist claims there is no relation to Vivian James, but it basically looks like a nazi clone of her to me, but with blond hair.

Originally found here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.860762-GamerGate-Discussion-Debate-and-Resources?page=1264#21650907

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

I think proxieme is right, gold lame guy is wearing a Totoro hat.

He also has more than a passing resemblance to grumpycat.

Kagato
Kagato

I’d say because your URL doesn’t end with a recognised image extension (.gif, .jpg, .png) so WordPress doesn’t know the URL points to an image.

Kagato
Kagato

It’s an obvious, lazy trace-over of one of the popular Vivian James drawings. I assume the “no relation” comment is in reference to whatever ridiculous backstory the artists have invented for their fictional people.

Binjabreel

Early on, it occurred to me that the only coherent argument to be made against GG trolls was the Dadaist/surrealist one. I think I accused a guy of being the hallucination of a tree dying of copper poisoning.

Jon H

“When I saw the words couch dress I thought of this mantua that I’ve always called the sofa dress, which is more splendid if way less comfortable. (It’s at the V&A).”

Perfect for shoplifting at the upright piano store.

kittehserf

mildlymagnificent – they made foldable panniers for the really wide dresses, iirc. The things were so wide they could hardly fit through palace doors, and that’s saying something. Mind you at least with the flat, wide ones you could sidle through some places; the domed ones from earlier, and the crinolines of the 1850s-60s, were another matter altogether.

grumpyoldnurse – nah, don’t blame the FHC. You know the Furrinati were just waiting for everyone to have their caps and lamé shorts before they said “Bored now.”

Alex Murphy – eww, yes, I think someone posted that awful Nazi anime picture before. ::hurl::

Jon H – LOL true!

kirbywarp

I know a real life Polina, and am therefore suitably offended on her behalf.

I’m beginning to understand that the phrase “/pol/ is always right” is really meant in the same spirit as “race realism…”

And how odd is it that both /pol/ and /r/worldnews, both ostensibly geared towards serious discussions about the world, are full of literal nazis?

kirbywarp

Hmm… imaginary children spawned from a website commentariat seems to be all the rage these days. Perhaps wehuntedthemammoth should jump on board the bandwagon. In this time of vitriol and hostility, I think it would be irresponsible to have a human child, but perhaps a baby animal would work just as well?

I propose Trunks, the baby mammoth. A tad naive but with a sharp wit, an infectious laugh, and general high spirits, Trunks points and laughs at all the silly things ostensibly serious people get up to in the world. Sometimes the people he mocks start causing real harm, and that’s when his serious side kicks in, and he brandishes his stubby little tusks in defiance.

And, of course, atop his head is a perpetually sleepy kitty that occasionally convinces him to get into mischief, or at least knock the catnip down from the upper shelves. Everyone knows Fur E Naughty is the true brains of the operation.

What do y’all think?

kirbywarp

BTW, little Fur prefers to go by Fen, the acronym of her name. Fur is rather a silly name, after all, from a silly previous owner who constantly misgendered her and proclaimed “‘E’s a nawty li’l ball ‘o fur.” “Fen” at least has a bit of dignity and mistique to it.

goodrumo

Reblogged this on iheariseeilearn.

Binjabreel

Fair warning, if you name the tiny elephant Trunks I’ll always hear it with Treetrunks’ voice in my head.

Also, the couch dress makes me think of a Victorian ad for a steamer trunk I saw that was watertight and had a hole with rubber gaskets you put your torso through, to use like a giant flotation device in case of an accident at sea.

I remember the ad had as a selling point the fact that it kept your hands free to tip your hat at any ladies who might be floating by.

kittehserf

Binjabreel, I would LOVE to see that ad! That’s a great selling-point. Or should be.

Bogdan Cvetkovic

I wonder if GamerGits, MRAs, and 4-channers are really Ferengis.

Extremely capitalistic? CHECK

Think the free market is always justified? CHECK

Deeply misogynistic and patriarchal? CHECK

Often refer to women as “females”? CHECK

Have creepy dependency on mother figures (Karen Straughen and Christina Hoff Summers) in spite of their misogyny? CHECK

I’ll be damned.

Puddleglum

I went to gold lame pants guy’s website. At least he’s wearing pants in this one (though he has a lot of good stuff too, just some of it’s weird). He has one of a guy naked in the pond with swans, dangly bits at beak level, which just struck me as a supremely bad idea.

Polina’s real name is Eva Braun? That’s so disappointing. Is she supposed to be a clone of the Eva Braun or some shit, or are they just so unoriginal they can’t make up their own Nazi name?

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I guess at least they weren’t geese? Still not a good idea though.

kirbywarp

Pretty swans are even more vicious than geese, though.

*Pretty sure swans

Puddleglum

Polina’s real name is Eva Braun?

I don’t think many of ggators are well enough educated to even know who Eva Braun was.

My first thought, when I read the name, was of Joey from Friends asking for help picking a stage name. One of the dudes said ‘Joseph Stalin’; Joey thought that was pretty catchy.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I think they ran out of creative ideas right after “what if we made Vivian blonde and put swastikas around her?”.

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

This is how I intend to conduct all my online altercations with trolls from now on. 😀 That is excellent.

kittehserf

Eeek!

Puddleglum

Surreal insult generator:

Though I like the compliment one better (they don’t quite sound like compliments):

Puddleglum

I still don’t understand why any of them thought this would be a good idea. They don’t have the depth to do meta.

Unfortunately, despite their general ignorance, I suspect their knowledge of the Nazis is far more comprehensive.

kirbywarp

“May you ever have naked women to toss tiny pickels an[d] coo in oblivious delight at your witty urbane opener of foreign post.”

Huh. That was surprisingly relevent yet frustratingly difficult to figure out how.

Michelle C Young

OK, that statuary has just ruined Watership Down for me.

#1 – If only it had a pile of clothes next to him, the explanation would be simple. He was interrupted in the act of putting on his socks by the kitty, and had to put life on hold to pet it.

#2 – Singing telegram, off to perform the theme song from The Land Before Time

#3 – Dad just bought his kid a skateboard, but being a conscientious father, he has to try it out, before allowing his child to use the potentially dangerous object. Five minutes later, he determines that he needs to talk to his biker-dude buddy about a safety helmet. Also, his friend the med-school student.

#4 – Errrr… I’m just gonna go… somewhere else now.

#5 – OK, this I totally get. The knitter made all those blankets for the couch, and then discovered there was a desperate need to provide the model with a knitted dress. Not having time to knit the whole thing from scratch, the knitter decided to create the dress from knitted material already made. But after all the work put into creating those large swaths of knitted material, the thought of cutting said material into proper pieces for a dress was just too heart-rending, and so a new fashion trend was born.

The person in charge of WASHING the dress is responsible for killing that fashion trend, however, as the model kept dragging the couch dress across dirty floors, snagging it on that pesky splinter in the hallway, and generally making it hard on the launderer. Therefore, the model was told that the ONLY time she is allowed to wear that dress is when she is sitting stiffly on the couch. Therefore, the dress was named the Couch Dress, and underneath the puddle of knitted cloth that is the front portion of the skirt is another outfit for the model to change into, should she need to walk around for any reason. Fortunately, all she needs to do is lift the bodice over her head, and she has a nice changing tent, for modesty.

Michelle C Young

@kitteh – That dress is the reason double-doors were invented.

Also – beautiful! Just don’t move.

Michelle C Young

@kirby – I want to see that cartoon! Fur E and Tusk, forever!

Michelle C Young

Sorry, Trunks. It’s late and I’m tired.

Michelle, I fully approve of your explanations.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

… Alright, so that doodle of /pol/ personified as Hitler’s literal wife is not a parody or a joke? That shit’s real and completely serious?

Yeah, sorry David, your pictures don’t come close. Fuck, Dali and Bosch don’t come close.

chaltab
chaltab

@M. the Social Justice Ranger

I just perused the hashtag a bit, and I will reiterate: none of these pictures make less sense than Gamergate. I don’t think anything in the history of the world has made less sense than Gamergate.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

Even the Infinite Improbability Drive couldn’t have conceived of a reality or unreality in which #GamerGate exists.

Moggie
Moggie

Skateboarding dude is one of the Blues Brothers, on a mission from God.