#gamergate facepalm racism

Things #GamerGaters Actually Believe, Part 294: Gamers are as oppressed as African Americans in the Jim Crow era

These are some actual Tweets posted yesterday by @FartToContinue, a fairly prominent #GamerGater.

fart1 fart2 fart3https://twitter.com/FartToContinue/status/537391103100858368

A few minutes with Google image search reveals that two of the images are photoshopped versions of photos documenting or depicting racial segregation in the Jim Crow era in the United States; one of the signs was originally directed at … hippies.

The originals:

mrb-papersign-RestRooma

521767da3f399

img_0306

H/T — @PixelGoth on Twitter

tinyorc

The bowl of noodles I am currently eating has more self-awareness than this person.

Puddleglum

Doing this with all the Ferguson stuff happening? It’s like they can’t resist offending as many people as humanly possible.

Svazu
Svazu

Yeah, doesn’t surprise me at all. I’ve seen the racial comparison used a in a lot of contexts to discuss the awful misandrist stereotypes feminists use against men :/

kamrynwhowanders

Today I am thankful for never having come into contact with an MRA

weirwoodtreehugger

I’m okay with someone named Mr. fart using a separate bathroom.

SpiderKitten
SpiderKitten

…I want to say I’m surprised, I really do, but considering stuff they’ve said/done before I’m not really. :/

freemage

Countdown to someone pointing out that their pathetic, immature, disgusting and failure-drenched movement is designed in such a way that anyone can claim to be a member, and therefore these do not represent the ‘true GamerGate’ begins… now.

Bina
Bina

Are any Gomers swinging like Strange Fruit from a poplar tree? Is the scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh, broken up all of a sudden by that of burning Gomer flesh?

Well, then.

b.tom.darga
b.tom.darga

@kamrynwhowanders “Today I am thankful for never having come into contact with an MRA”

There really aren’t that many. Being a Misogynist is a necessary but not sufficient condition for being an MRA.

sparky
sparky

Aaaaand Mr. @FartToContinue needs to step on many, many Legos.

It always amusese that these folks cause “SJWs” of “manufacturing victimhood” when they’re the ones comparing mild criticism of sexism in video games to Jim Crow laws and actual, real, harmful discrimination faced by POC.

Wait, “amuses” isn’t quite the right word. Is there a word that means both “amused” and “disgusted” at the same time?

Optifix
Optifix

Doesn’t surprise me that FarttoContinue is a GGer. He’s had quite the history of being an asshole.

Inez Milholland
Inez Milholland

Your privilege is showing, White, male, middle class Gamerghazians.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

So… What are “SJWs” who are also gamers supposed to do? Split down the middle like amoebas?

acrannymint
acrannymint

Because nothing says emotional maturity than a nom like FarttoContinue

Amnesia
Amnesia

Not enough face palms in the world for this.

One big difference between the struggles of Gamergaters and the struggles of African American during Jim Crow era: For African Americans, those signs actually EXISTED and were enforced.

Amnesia
Amnesia

Also, nice to know MRA’s still haven’t found anybody with graphic design skills. Typography FAIL!

ParadoxicalIntention
ParadoxicalIntention

Thanks Optifix for bringing up Fart’s past history with Dodger. I’ve heard about it (and I sided with her on the issue even after reading his “defense” that he patched together on his website), but Fart just likes to keep putting sub-basements in the barrel, it seems.

M. the Social Justice Ranger

I’ve been trying for months now, and nothing seems to be working. I do appear to have a second head though, so that’s pretty cool. We just had a lovely conversation about how we’d like to see more games that are about narrative of underrepresented groups that aren’t being told to cater to men’s sexual desires like Gone Home.

Amnesia

And let’s hope they never sully my career choice by actually finding one. *shudders*

Mewens
Mewens

A good typographer has a deft hand, an eagle’s eye for details and the ability to suss out nuance. It’s really not terribly surprising that the gaters and the MRAs are almost universally terrible at graphic design.

In mostly unrelated news: Jian Ghomeshi is arrested, charged with four counts of sexual assault, etc. Akin to PUAs, he apparently has a strong, built-in reality filter that he’s not aware of: the case file he sent to CBC that was supposed to prove that his partners were willing is now being used to hang him.

Bogdan Cvetkovic

Self pity and aggrieved entitlement are a very, very toxic mixture. Fuck those guys.

Jay Elmore

Anyone who thinks that simply being a gamer is grounds for persecution or discrimination is living in a dream world. No one is getting fired because they admit they like playing Call of Duty.

Being an misogynist, narcissistic, self-centered asshole of a gamer? That… still isn’t actually grounds for firing per se, but it’s certainly a good reason for people of good conscience to cross the street when they see them coming.

pallygirl
pallygirl

I’m lost as to how the GGers parallel PoC. When the GGers go out to dinner, and need to use the restroom, how does anyone know they’re a GGer?

If they just keep their awful opinions to themselves…. ah, I see the reasoning.

Sarah
Sarah

Also where do go people who are not gamers but are not for social justice either?
It looks like they think all people belong to their little sad internet world.

And is that a kind of attempt at crying they’re discriminated against? Talk about self victimization. They choose to behave like sexist assholes and now they’re upset people call them sexist assholes (and that’s about all discrimination and hostility they get).

Tracy
Tracy

@Mewens busband and I were watching the various Gomeshi news reports today – very happy. I wouldn’t at all doubt that he believes these ‘encounters’ were consensual, as his definition of consent seems to be ‘was speaking to me’ or ‘came to my house’. Much like how the GooberGraters get their definitions of pretty much everything completely wrong.

CJ
CJ

@Sarah

They haven’t thought it through that much. If they did things like that, we wouldn’t be looking at an article like this.

@M. the Social Justice Ranger

It’s pretty obvious those of us who fit that description aren’t “gamers” to them. Only GG is gamers. If any evidence to the contrary appears they throw half-assed, fallacious reasoning at it until they feel better.

Of course most gamers I know have one of three reactions to GG:

A.) That’s terrible.
B.) I don’t give a rat’s ass
C.) Gamer-what? Huh?

But that doesn’t fit the GG narrative of them being a mighty army fighting a glorious battle for all the poor, oppressed white male gamers.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

If potentially anybody can be a member of this leaderless, faceless movement, then aren’t discriminatory signs meaningless? In theory, anybody could end up in the Jim Crow bathroom.

Except women and minorities, of course, who are not allowed to mingle with GGers in their segregated bathroom. But remember, GGers are the ones being discriminated against.

ktrantingredhead

The problem is that black people didn’t do anything wrong by being black and thus didn’t deserve to be cut off from society. Gamer gators on the other hand choose to be complete shitheads that no one wants to be around.

boogerghost
boogerghost

(now with account and low-res avatar!)

Okay, so this means that within the span of living memory

1. a horrible thing happened (Jim Crow),

2. there was an acceptable reaction to the horrible thing (Civil Rights), then a

3. TOTAL overreaction to the horrible thing (Civil Rights continuing to exist), so

4. the same people who fought that first horrible thing are now responsible for an EQUALLY horrible thing (Social Justice) oppressing the exact sort of people who started the original horrible thing, and this is horrible.

History moves forward in… retaliatory spirals. It does make perfect sense, I guess, when you think about how white Australians are living under the boot of Aboriginal tyranny and the super gay government of Uganda has denied straight people the vote and bloody dodos are terrorizing the world.

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

This reminds me of the nostalgia critic, he came upon a scene in a movie and well I just want to make it into a meme that I think fits this.
#NotAllWhitePeople of course

Shaun Day
Shaun Day

@ sparky, think the word you’re looking for is Schadennausea.

Slightly on topic.

thermonictriode

…I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

ParadoxicalIntention
ParadoxicalIntention

@Shaun Day

That was beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing that.

Orion
Orion

The projection they engage in is astonishing. Their central accusation is that “SJW’s” are professional victims and manufacture things to complain about is in fact what they principally engage in themselves.

Garbage like this is what they think SJW’s are doing when talking about patriarchy or exclusion. They think that everyone else must be as awful as them and couldn’t possibly be sincere about helping others or combating issues.

Crissa
Crissa

No one is getting fired because they admit they like playing Call of Duty.

Whenever I think I’m safe saying such a noncontroversial thing… There’s some boss who fired someone for showing up with the wrong bumper sticker.

Crissa
Crissa

Err, just trying to say hyperbole is hard in a world apparently bent on mimicking satire.

Michelle C Young

OK, I have to know: What facilities are actually polling people to see if they are gamers, and then segregating the gamers? Really. I NEED TO KNOW!!!!

How else am I supposed to take my business there? The feminazi cabal has failed to send out their weekly newsletter listing the approved businesses that are currently following the gamer-segregation rules.

Seriously, though, just what discrimination do these people believe they are facing? How, exactly, are they being disenfranchised? I can’t even begin to feel sympathy for them, until I see at least ONE compelling case of disenfranchisement, due to being a Gamer.

Kellie Gator (@kelliegator)

@ M. the Social Justice Ranger

Maybe it would be like some sorta interracial marriage or KKK thing where any SJW with A SINGLE DROP OF GAMER BLOOD in them would have to go to the gamer bathrooms.

…yes, that sounds insane but these pictures are more or less implying that you’re born as a gamer and that it’s somehow a genetic trait. Which is funny considering gamergate’s transphobia (and homophobia to a lesser extent), rofl.

th1stle

*spits coffee all over desk*

Whaaaaaaat?

For group consisting predominantly of white males, I have to say, their lack of a sense of irony is quite troubling.

pallygirl
pallygirl

Only Females have a good sense of irony.

brooked

Wow, I got nothing other than a hearty fuck these assholes. This my peak Gamegator moment, I expect their usual terribleness about women at this point and I’m numb to people saying stupid shit about Ferguson, but this actually caused my blood pressure to shoot up. Anyone this gleefully ignorant and offensively stupid about basic American social history that’s taught in fucking grade and high school should have “I’m an asshole, ignore me forever” permently tattooed to their forehead.

Michael Lindsay

I’m so oppressed sitting in my loungeroom, playing with my purpose-built supercomputer designed specifically for entertainment having to play a game where the designers values were more inclusive than mine.

Or heaven forbid, accidentally reading a review I don’t agree with on the internet!

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Rand Paul, libertarian hero, has argued repeatedly that businesses should be allowed to segregate because freeze peach reasons and government can’t tell us what to do.

Sauce for the goose, sauce for the Rander, fellas. You can’t be horrible racist assholes one minute and then wail about how unjust oppression is the next.

catmara

@Buttercup Q. Skullpants:

As if anything faced by the average Gamergator could be construed as “oppression” to begin with…

Newt
Newt

Twitter account suspended 😀

Kim
Kim

Lol at mr farty. twitter didn’t like you.

sunnysombrera

Wow that Fart guy is such a dick. I don’t understand why uber-trolls like him get pleasure from upsetting other people. What is wrong with him?

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

Now if only YouTube would follow suit. He’s been shitting up damn near every comments thread under damn near every video for years.

Lenoxus
Lenoxus

I’m new around here. Is Inez Milholland a known troll, or what?

In case not, I’m going to address her directly: When Person A compares something trivial to segregation and Person B calls them out on it, Person B is not somehow being clueless about oppression. Quite the opposite.

Either that, or you didn’t realize that “GamerGhazi” actually refers to an anti-Gamergater subreddit. In which case I apologize!

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

lack of empathy, i think. everyone needs a hobby, and if one views other humans as squeaky toys, then of course one is going to enjoy squeezing them to make them squeak.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I’m new around here. Is Inez Milholland a known troll, or what?

i’m aware of no trolling tendencies from inez, and i think you really misread that comment. i would be shocked if inez doesn’t know about the reddit.

schwadevivre

Oh! My! Mr Fart’s freeze peach has been shut down by Twitter. I bet Mr Fart is sorry if anyone took offence at his pictures