#gamergate 8chan bullying conspiracy theory entitled babies evil SJWs homophobia men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny transphobia

8channers defend themselves against charges of transphobia with more transphobia

Panning for poop on 8chan
Panning for poop on 8chan

Yesterday, I noted some of the nasty transphobia that had shown up in a recent /gg/ thread on 8chan, undercutting somewhat the claims to respectability we’ve been hearing a lot of from GamerGaters recently. Well, 8channers noticed my post, and weren’t exactly pleased about it.

But their responses to my post, well, they didn’t exactly suggest that the transphobia I saw in the earlier thread was some sort of fluke.

Oh, sure, some of the commenters complained, as my critics often do, that I had “quote mined” the earlier thread.

8den1

8den2

Sitting cheek by jowl next to these comments were comments of a rather different sort. Trigger Warning for threats, transphobia, homophobia, etc.

8den3

8den4

8den5

8den6

8den7

So, yeah, there’s really no need to posit vast conspiracies sending paid shills to shitpost on 8chan when it’s pretty clear a sizeable portion of their userbase is happy to post crap like this for free.

And there’s no need to mine for quotes like these when there are so many of them just sitting right there on the surface.

cassandrakitty

Not sure why dude thinks anyone cares about his screen shots.

@cassandrakitty:

*shrug*

At least it’s something that could be mildly amusing. I’m curious to see where this rabbit hole leads.

Mackey
Mackey

Kirbywarp,

Here: http://tinypic.com/r/2q84sb4/8

I didn’t see the comment a moment ago, therefore it is still in moderation or rejected.

(Sighs)

Kirby, he’s never going to stop piddling all over the room if you keep rewarding him for doing so. All the rabbit hole leads to is more puddles on the floor.

That was a pretty solid flounce. Not terribly original, but simple and elegant. I give it a 6.

Reduced immediately to -4 by failure to stick, of course.

Sorry, -6.

I met a girl who sang the blues and I asked her for some happy news…

grumpyoldnurse

Screen shots are the ultimate ‘gotcha’ because they prove…things…and…stuff.

All my comments got moderated when I was a new commenter. It’s called a ‘jerk filter’ because it filters out jerks, sort of.

Mackey
Mackey

Cassandra, if the point is rewarding me, then you would be doing the same. It is not my point though.

grumpyoldnurse

But she just smiled and turned away

cassandrakitty

Helter skelter in a summer swelter

(I want it to be summer right now – Kittehs, can I come visit?)

cassandrakitty

‘Cause the players tried to take the field
The marching band refused to yield

grumpyoldnurse

The birds took off with the fall out shelter

It got up to single digits here today! The cold snap seems to be over! It’s supposed to get up to -5 by the weekend, but I don’t believe it.

Australia sounds very good, right now.

cassandrakitty

It’s been raining enough to make building an arc seem like a good plan here. Climate change, I see you and I don’t like you at all.

I went down to the sacred store where I’d heard the music years before

@Mackey:

Probably because it contains slurs. This was the comment you were so proud of? The one that would clear up all misconceptions and justify your first post? Yeesh.

contrapangloss

Got snowed in, myself, Sunday and spent a few hours getting well acquainted with a shovel. Then, two hours later, repeating. Then a plow finally showed up.

The department apparatus would have made it out, because 4 WD big truckness, but my little personal vehicle? Nope.

… and now it’s raining. Yay! Foot of slush time!

kirbywarp

It’s been alternating between comfortably warm and cold-enough-to-suck-but-not-enough-for-winter over here. On a day-by-day basis.

Let it snow! Let it snow!
So the cold is justified.
Let it snow! Let it snow!
My winter’s far too dry.

weirwoodtreehugger

Why do some people prefer to endlessly argue and complain about how mean we are? It would be so much easier to just say “sorry, I won’t do that again” or just realize the culture here isn’t a good fit and just leave. What is mackey even getting out of this? If zie is just trolling, aren’t there more entertaining ways to do it?

grumpyoldnurse

@ contrapangloss – Oh, no!! I hate rain after snow because I am a really bad skater. Hope the ice doesn’t turn out too bad.

contrapangloss

@Mackey:

Comments with slurs automatically go into moderation (if the slurs have been used enough for David to set a filter for them), and if he sees them first in the mod bin, usually he just deletes the little uglies.

Did you have a comment sans slurs that you’re whining about and can screenshot?

Because, really?

That comment was supposed to make us all go:

“Oh, you poor misunderstood Mackey! Here, join our inner circle and sniff this lovely scented candle! Have some bon-bons! Do you need a hug?”

If it was, it is completely unsuccessful.

grumpyoldnurse

@ WWTH – but how will we know how mean and bad and very wrong we are, if Mackey doesn’t tell us again and again and again and again.

cassandrakitty

Because it entertains them to see people argue back, I’m guessing. Which would be fine if they were entertaining us too, but in this case, nah.

Mackey
Mackey

Kirbywarp,

You questioned me, I provided the link, where is the slur in the link?

Is there anyone here who wants to discus things honestly?

grumpyoldnurse

I like that surrealist insult generator that Puddleglum linked to.

Hey, Mackey, your lustful sexual fluids smell like purple tongue fat.

Slur aside, the moderated comment was just another whine about how unfairly he’s being treated. Anyone who cares more about how they’re being treated than about the original point they were trying to make is not someone I want to talk to.

@Mackey:

You questioned me, I provided the link, where is the slur in the link?

… “Trannies” is the slur. This comment will probably be in the mod queue for a bit.

Is there anyone here who wants to discus things honestly?

Hallo. I’m taking a crack at it.

Why is it that whenever trolls complain that “nobody wants an honest discussion,” the context is always one where people just aren’t immediately agreeing with their bullshit?

where is the slur in the link?

*sigh*

Is there anyone here who wants to discus things honestly?

You mean, is there anyone who wants to pat you on the head and go “poor baby” while you whine about how mean everyone else is? Probably not.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Here is a hint for you Mackey. If the mods and the blog owner are not treating you the way you think you deserve to be treated, passive aggressive trolling is not going to improve the situation.

@katz:

Mackey is yet another sad casualty of a common argument phenomena. “If I can prove my opponent wrong on even the most trivial point, I’ve won the whole thing. Even if that point is a tangent of a tangent of a tangent.”

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

No one wants to discuss, either honestly or dishonestly, whether or not your personal experience and feelings is trumps, Mackey. You are a jerk and no one wants to chat with jerks.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Don’t tedious trolls get banned? There’s nothing more tedious than someone claiming that a grossly offensive ableist comment was actually not grossly offensive or ableist, or that a comment with clearly apparent slurs actually contains no slurs.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

They were singing Bai Bai Miss American Pie…

@Policy of Madness:

Or claiming that nobody is engaging him when, hello, someone just prompted him to provide evidence for a claim, and addressed that evidence.

It’s like in a debate when the other side first attempts to rebut your counter-argument, then claims that no counter-argument was even made in the first place.

Mackey
Mackey

Katz,

The point about discussing things is essential.
I get a lot of “fuck off” and such.

Based on an interpretation of a comment of mine which I agreed to can be interpreted in a way I did not intend.

Sorry for the possible misinterpretation. Not going to excuse to the ‘mob’ here.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

This is a community. You are offensive. Go away.

weirwoodtreehugger

Mackey,
It’s not up for debate whether or not mentally ill people are scary. That talk is just plain unwelcome here. We consider it no better than asserting that black people are scary “thugs.” If you want to talk that way, this isn’t the place for you.

Mackey
Mackey

Give a real reason why I am not welcome, or shut up, thebewilderness

cassandrakitty

You guys, I am so bored. Surely there must be something more interesting to talk about than some dude’s grudge-match.

What’s everyone doing for Xmas? Anyone going anywhere cool?

kirbywarp

Mackey… we didn’t actually misinterpret your first comment. At all. We reacted in a way you didn’t intend, sure, but you’ve already doubled down on the offensive interpretation of your comment (in case you’ve forgotten).

You’ve been fighting this war so long you’ve forgotten why you joined it in the first place, man!

Give a real reason why I am not welcome, or shut up, thebewilderness

How about for being a tedious, abrasive ass?

Telling a regular to shut up when arguing for why people should welcome you. Not the best strategy in the world.

contrapangloss

Mackey,

You seriously don’t know what the slur was? Seriously?

Seriously?

Yeah, not dealing with that level of obliviousness, insensitivity, and nonsense today.

Mackey, I cordially invite you to exit through your browser’s appropriate buttons and nevermore grace the face of this blog until you get why your ‘moderated’ comment was moderated, and likely deleted.

Goodbye.

weirwoodtreehugger

My aunt is having her annual Christmas party for my dad’s side of the family on the 20th and I’m going to my mom’s on Christmas day. Christmas eve I don’t have any plans yet. Maybe I’ll see if my friends want to get together.

@cassandrakitty:

I’m taking the first week of vacation I’ve taken since I started my job and steadfastly refusing to travel to the normal family gathering, avoiding the racist uncle everyone has after last year’s night-long argument of why being racist was bad.

grumpyoldnurse

Well, the first days are the hardest days
Don’t you worry anymore
‘Cause when life looks like easy street
There is danger at your door

No big plans for Christmas, but MrGrump and I are both off on the 25th, so our celebrations will actually be on Christmas Day. It happened last year, too, and MissGrump was so excited she told all her friends’ mommies that our family was having ‘Christmas on Christmas this year’ and no one knew what she meant. I had some shift-worker explaining to do!

contrapangloss

@Cassandra:

I’m abandoning my station for two weeks and going to visit my folks, and cuddle with my puppies and kitty, and pat the ponies on their noses, and freeze because the weather will likely be in the 30-50 below zero range.

cassandrakitty

I’m shopping for gifts right now so I can mail them out tomorrow (postage to the UK is a pain) and found the most adorable teacup and saucer set for my gran.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

You seem to be under the impression that you are entitled to tell people what to do and yet do not think you should have to raise your behavior to minimum standards of decent human being 1.0, Mackey. You are not going to argue people into finding your behavior acceptable. It is not.

weirwoodtreehugger

Why does everyone have a racist uncle? What’s with that? Luckily mine behaved himself on Thanksgiving. The Xmas party will be much bigger so I should be able to avoid any futile political debates.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

No plans for Christmas. Just chilling at home.

@Mackey:

You ask others to excuse you when you belch. You can excuse yourself when you leave a gathering.

Excusing is not something to be done when you’ve been rude. In fact, excuses are the last thing you want to make if you’ve been rude but want to get back into someone’s good graces.