#gamergate 4chan 8chan advocacy of violence antifeminism entitled babies evil fat fatties evil SJWs feminism grandiosity gross incompetence harassment hate speech hypocrisy irony alert men who should not ever be with imaginary women ever men who should not ever be with ponies ever men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny transphobia twitter

GamerGate plays Good Cop, Viciously Transphobic Cop

GamerGaters: You're not fooling anyone.
GamerGaters: You’re not fooling anyone.

#GamerGaters have been spending a lot of time lately trying to convince the world that they’re really quite reasonable people, actually, and that the “movement’s” reputation as a hotbed of hateful bullying is undeserved.

Today on 8Chan’s /gg/ board, for example, one enterprising anon announced the start of “OP FIREHEART,” a combination of “Operation Firefly + Operation Lonely Hearts.”

Operation Firefly, you may recall, is GamerGate’s attempt to flood Tumblr with Tumblr-fied versions of their standard propaganda. Operation Lonely Hearts is a more recent “op,” an attempt to hijack a new meme started and spread by people critical of GamerGate, in which Twitterers and others replace their avatars with heart-shaped icons to indicate their support of a diverse gaming world open to all. GamerGaters have appropriated these heart-shaped icons and are using them to spread their own terrible message.

Op FireHeart aims to take these GamerGated hearts to Tumblr.

The weheart.io heartpix we made are amazing and powerful. But we can take them one step further, and use OP Firefly to help them spread on Tumblr and Social Media. They are the type of post that Tumblr can’t get enough of. They’re artsy, fun and minimalistic.

Here’s the plan- we make a lot more of those memes, but we use popular anime and vidya characters along with people from superwholock /homestuck /mlp etc. Include hot guys and gals and load up on those pop culture references.

See guys we like anime so therefore we can’t be all bad right? NO ONE WILL SEE THROUGH THIS CLEVER RUSE.

Really, anything can be made into a fireheart meme. Pictures of food, alcohol, parties- make it fun and spreadable.

We post the images in those tags (where the character came from), with one simple message underneath: #Gamergate loves you. It’s a show of support and outreach, nothing else- but it will make a lot of neutrals curious.

Even aside from the fact that this propaganda campaign is, you know, transparently cynical and obvious – if you’re going to try to dupe the world it’s generally a bad idea to let the world know about it first – there’s one giant problem with Operation FireHeart and the RebuildInitiative and all of GamerGate’s attempts to win the PR war by pretending to be nice, and that is: WE CAN SEE YOU.

Evidence of your bad faith and bigotry is everywhere; you can’t wash it away with a letter-writing campaign or heart-shaped anime avatars.

Oh, you want evidence? Well, look no further than this thread from yesterday on 8chan. After one anon posted screenshots of an actual polite Twitter conversation they had with a woman GamerGaters have been going after lately, the thread quickly degenerated into a transphobic nightmare after one anon declared that the woman in question was “a man, baby.”

Some, er, highlights of what followed. Oh, and Trigger Warning for some really horrible transphobic crap.

8tf1

8tp2

8tp3

8tf4

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that heart-shaped anime avatars aren’t going to dig you out of the hole your’re continually digging for yourself.

Oh, but there’s more.

8tf5

8tp6

That last comment is what passes for a “moderate” voice in this thread. It helped to inspire this, er, debate.

8tp7

There’s not enough perfume in the world to make this shit smell sweet.

For more on this thread, and on “reasonable” GamerGaters, see “Polite” GGers – A Case Study, an excellent Storify of some recent Tweets from @alexlifschitz, which is what alerted me to this toxic thread.

And in other depressing news, some 4channers — remember them? — are launching a new “op” of their own … designed to drive trans folks to suicide. See here and here for more details. (Neither is a link to 4chan.) I can’t even.

Bina
Bina

If I’m only interested in fucking men who’re that pretty then that’s the ultimate misandry, right?

If that’s misandry, then sign me up. I’m a-misanderin’ away in my head right now.

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

@ Libarbarian – What Binjabreel said.
Why is it that the harassers Free Will to refrain from psychologically torturing people is never called into question? Where is their culpability for trying to bend the Free Will of others?

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

nothing about libtroll is ironic. that boring stupidity is played straight.

cassandrakitty

I’ve been misandering for over 20 years, why stop now?

In terms of libarwhatsit, I’m kind of hoping David will eventually get annoyed enough to ban the tedious little fucker. Minimizing death threats seems like a good reason to do that.

saphy
saphy

Well, if we want the troll gone surely we just need to light our scented fucking candles and make a bon bon offering to the mods/David and they can sweep out the trash for us, yes?

Boring troll wastes space. Tell our enemies to send someone worthy.

cassandrakitty

Neither incense nor bug spray seems to work, maybe we should try that weird chalk you use for roaches.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

borax? shit’s toxic. diatomaceous earth ftw!

weirwoodtreehugger

I’d be all for banning libarbarian for suggesting that trans people bullied into suicide are merely puppets. Trolling about such a serious topic is not amusing.

ququasar

I really can’t comment on the second half of this post because my mind is defensively erasing the examples from my memory before they do any permanent damage, but the first half is magnificent. I love how enthusiastic and confident they sound. It’s like an old man in charge of in the marketing department of a toy store talking confidently about what the 12-16 demographic wants.

[Cave Johnson] “Tumblrs these days are into the animes and the homestucks! Can we get ponies on that? And put in a picture of “Doctor Wholock”, I heard they love that shit! And hearts, people! I want hearts EVERYWHERE! I wanna be bleedin’ hearts out my goddamn spleen I want so many hearts! Fuck! Hearts!”

cassandrakitty

Yeah, up until now he’s just been mildly annoying, but that was way over the line, and people have been banned for making similar statements before. If we’re allowed to vote, I vote for the banhammer.

Lea
Lea

They really should not try to hide behind the Homestuck fandom. Homestuckers do not like bigots. That won’t go well for the ‘gaters. No at all.

There’s even a character in Homestuck that was created to mock guys like ‘gaters.

deniseeliza
deniseeliza

No. Because trans people have agency and are not puppet-objects who can be “made” to commit suicide by anyone

Ah yes, the good old argument that the real transphobia is acting like trans people shouldn’t be harassed, because transpeople are strong and have agency and other SJW bullshit words. In fact, it’s practically transphobic to NOT harass trans people!

End hate! Stalk and harass everyone! Except cis white dudes because it’s just not fair that a cis white dude can’t have an opinion on anything anymore, gosh, will the PC police never stop???

cassandrakitty

The thing is that internet harassment has led to people killing themselves in the past, and this wouldn’t be the first time that the chans were involved. There’s a history there. They were plotting to do the same thing to Zoe Quinn for a while too.

Lea
Lea

transwomen aren’t pretending to be women, they ARE women.

^This

Bogdan Cvetkovic

I really don’t get these people. They remind me so much of the bullies I had at school. That makes sense at least. These guys are grown up bullies.

Bogdan Cvetkovic

I myself still have a lot of anger because I had an abusive childhood, but what these guys are doing is hateful beyond my understanding.

andiexist
andiexist

@libarbarian

Words have power. Actions have power. No one is a puppet, but hatred still causes pain. Still destroys. Still kills. Denying this only makes you pathetic. Not manly, cool, edgy, funny, ironic, or right.

If none are puppets, then these horrible wastes of humanity need not be puppet to their prejudices, hate, and bigotry. Direct your useless, hateful trolling towards them.

I second (third?) the move for banhammering.

(Oh stars this just- agh. This drivel is shouted a million times every time something about bullying or suicide comes up, and it’s horrible and NEEDS TO STOP.)

Robert
Robert

Bogdan – a good friend of mine went through an abusive childhood the likes of which these frass bundles can’t imagine. He, by sheer effort of will, has grown into one of the gentlest and most compassionate humans I know. They whine about being ignored by girls in high school? Pfft. He actually experienced an improvement in his environment when CPS put him in a group home. Imagine that, if you will.

Policy, when I was in university, we used boric acid. I hope that was less toxic than borax, but living without roaches was a high priority.

libarbarian
libarbarian

Harassment is bad.

Saying mean things to someone on Twitter or Facebook should never be a crime.

cassandrakitty

Thinking is hard. Some people aren’t very good at it.

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

See, cassandrakitty? What I said in the other thread; that was blunt, but not mean. 🙂

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

trying to drive someone to suicide, purposefully = saying mean things, by libtroll’s metric.

remind me again why this shit-for-brains isn’t banned?

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

I am frequently surprised by how many ignorant people think they can and should be able to “say mean things on twitter” with impunity. Wrong again troll. Isn’t there a bridge somewhere else with your name on it?

cassandrakitty

Has anyone emailed David yet? Cause here’s the deal. He can say “mean” things, and the host can decide to ban his ass as a result. Everyone wins! Except the people who’ve already been forced to read his bullshit.

weirwoodtreehugger

I’ll email the mods

Bina
Bina

Harassment is bad.

Saying mean things to someone on Twitter or Facebook should never be a crime.

If you MUST suck shit, please do so offline. Nobody online is interested in your shit-suckitude.

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

Sorry if I got the goddess’s name wrong

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

And, it’s fruitloopsie with another winning meme!

scalyllama

For those playing along at home, here’s how a civilised society deals with Internet trolls – jails their asses!

Bina
Bina

Hail Facepalming Durga!

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

For anyone who has been affected by the suicide of a friend, they know what it’s like to spend hours silently churning through memories of every conversation they had with them, or every unkind or thoughtless word or action that ever passed between them, worrying that even a tiny smidgeon of the pain they felt had been caused by them. That kind of grief is horrible.
To think that there are these vile shitgoblins, hundreds of miles away, deliberately conspiring to chip away at the self-esteem of some stranger, someone precious to someone… It’s sickening.

What right do they have to say these things? What right do they have to lie, and bully, and jibe, and threaten and abuse?? NONE. It’s not even covered by Free Speech, because their human rights are meant to protect them from that kind of hatred. In lots of places, it’s considered a crime to encourage someone to commit suicide.
Fuck you, Liberbarbarian.

These shit-stains get off on it, knowing trolls like you will defend their right to do it.

Harassment is bad.
Saying mean things to someone on Twitter or Facebook should never be a crime.

Where is the fucking line exactly? Each isolated “mean thing” said on Twitter doesn’t amount to enough evidence to make someone “responsible” for the death. The bastards KNOW this. That’s why they operate en masse. They know that there is not enough to call out each individual for the death they have caused, they can absolve themselves of guilt because there is a sweet cushion of plausible deniability between their actions and the very real and permanent consequences, that keeps cause and effect far removed from each other. A cushion you are helping hold in place for them, you miserable abuse apologist.

Harassment is death by hornet stings, death by a thousand million pinpricks, death by a rain of arrows. It is deliberate and it is torturous and each sting, each prick, each arrow, is a senseless act of violence.

I am so fucking DONE with people defending these disgusting, monstrous evils in the name of “freedom”. I want to the Internet to be free from fear and hatred.

Puddleglum

@AltoFronto, best post ever.

weirwoodtreehugger

AltoFronto and others,
David did get back to me and said that troll is banned. So at that bullshit won’t be in this thread anymore.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Thank you!

Macha
Macha

Thank you, weirwoodtreehugger.

kittehserf - MOD

Sir Bodsworth:

Ethics!! Get your ethics right here! Hot fresh ethics! Get ‘em while they’re ethical!

I’ll have two ethics onna stick, thanks.

Good riddance to that halfwitted troll.

Zirc
Zirc

My biggest mistakes were not heeding the transphobia warning and reading at 3 in the morning when I’m already depressed.

I’d ask if these shitlords could sink to even more terrible depths, but I am afraid posing the question would be seen as a friendly challenge of their skills(?).

C.S.Strowbridge
C.S.Strowbridge

libarbarian: “Harassment is bad.
Saying mean things to someone on Twitter or Facebook should never be a crime.”

Being part of a mob that is trying to drive someone to commit suicide should be a crime. In many jurisdictions, it is a crime.

Mezza
Mezza

Bit late responding here, but what is it with people like libtroll thinking co-ordinated harassment = “saying mean things”? TB said similar bullshit last week, it seems to be a common talking point for anyone pro-GG.

As AltoFronto said (great post by the way), where do we draw the line here? When someone is getting 200 “mean things” posted on their feed a day? When someone actually commits suicide over it? When someone actually goes to their front door and threatens them?

Why is an asshole’s right to harass someone more important than protecting people from harassment?

In my experience, the only ones who think this shit shouldn’t be taken seriously are the ones who know they’re part of the problem. They’re usually the ones taking part in the harassment who know they’d probably have the cops knocking on their door if the police started taking this stuff seriously. They’re the ones who only harass people on the internet because there are no repercussions, and they don’t want to lose that privilege.

In short, they’re horrible, horrible people.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

Regarding Bill Kaulitz: They know he’s a guy, but he’s 4Chan’s idealised example of a “Trap” (which is their word for a feminine man or trans woman that they want to “Bang”) and something of a meme there as a result. Yeah, even when they like a transgender person, they’re still transphobic.

I’ll get to the rest of this disgusting mess later. I’m not awake enough to even yet.

proxieme

Those feckin’ IDIOTS. They’ve confused Bill Kaulitz (of the German band Tokio Hotel) with a trans woman? That is just so fucking wrong, on so many levels. There will never be enough face. Or Palm.

In fairness, I didn’t know who he is, either (or that that picture’s of a person who identified as a man), but I was wondering why they ripping on was very pretty person.

I mean, there he looks like the very bision of pretty, goth anime.

What the hell are their standards?

Vision*

And

Why they were* ripping.

*sigh*
*goes to get coffee*

Oh, feckin’ gods:

why they ripping on *someone I thought* was very pretty person.

*reads my last “correction”*

*throws purring cat off of my lap to get coffee*

re: People have agency therefore harassment is meaningless good fun HURR DURR:

I guess, then, that talk therapy is useless to prevent suicide.

Oh, wait: http://m.newser.com/story/199051/effective-suicide-prevention-method-talking.html

re: lilibertarian (or whatever):

I like to imagine that s/he’s a libertarian librarian, tucked away at work in a publicly-funded space while pouring over Ayn Rand’s writings and scouring like-minded blogs, completely unaware of the irony.

It’s probably not true, but we all have stories that we tell ourselves.

vaiyt

@libarbarian

If the best defense you have for something is “well, it’s not TECHNICALLY illegal”, maybe you should rethink whether it’s worth defending.

taitaisanchez

NOT A CULT! NOT A CULT! NOT A CULT! NOT A CULT! NOT A CULT!

Also I’m shocked by the “we’re diverse!” … *20 post thread involving lots of slurs* effect

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Gamergate brings you LOVE!