#gamergate 8chan a woman is always to blame antifeminism entitled babies evil SJWs flip flops imaginary backwards land misogyny post contains sarcasm sarkeesian! self-congratulation twitter

Super Fun Anita Sarkeesian Pop Quiz

GamerGate may have to retire this bit of propaganda.
GamerGate may have to retire this bit of propaganda.

Today, a quick quiz to see how closely you’ve been following controversies in the world of video gaming.  Well, a quiz that’s sort of been shoehorned into a poll. The correct answer(s) come after the bump. Enjoy!

ANSWER: The only quote from Sarkeesian was the final one. The rest of the quotes come from disbarred attorney Jack Thompson, the infamous anti-videogame crusader who, in one of the more headsmackingly ironic twists in the whole #GamerGate saga, is garnering plaudits from #GamerGaters because he said a few negative things about Sarkeesian in an interview with Jordan Owen for the allegedly forthcoming alleged documentary The Sarkeesian Effect.

Here are a few Tweets I’ve borrowed from a Storify collection put together by the indefatigable @a_man_in_black.

Boy, it seems like only yesterday that Sarkeesian’s enemies were comparing her to Jack Thompson in order to make her look bad. Oops, my bad. It was the day before yesterday.

For the sources of all the Thompson quotes, see here. Sarkeesian’s quote is from here.

Words For The Internet

I’m embarrased. I thought it said NOT made by Anita. At least one set of the wrong answers is from someone who can’t read and not a #GamerGater!

Faint Praise
Faint Praise

That KotakuInAction thread, omg. KiA calls it a “new study” but Sarkeesian called it an “amusing article.” Sarkeesian laughs along at the idea of games creating violent monsters, and KiA thinks she believes it.

tomtom94speaks

One would almost think they had a double standard along an arbitrary line like gender…but that’s probably just crazy talk.

ikanreed
ikanreed

Comparing the person you want to censor to a famously pro-censorship asshole is just one of those amazing leaps of logic these guys go through every damn day.

gelar
gelar

Bobby K and Jack Thompson just go to show that people are more complex than how we demonize them.

In the immortal words of internet confusion: lol wut

magnesium

I’m trying to think of a way that GamerGators can get dumber, but I don’t think there is one. They are beyond parody at this point.

Harry Thornton

Holy shit. I couldn’t believe this even happened! GG can support ANYONE if they say something negative about anita sarkessian!

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

Was there ever a case where the Tea Party was 110% at odds with a person, then that person said that they don’t like black people and/or Obama and the Tea Party welcomed them with open arms? Serious question, almost everything the #Gits do has parallels with the Tea Party and I’m too tired to work out if that holds true here or not.

tinyorc

Teetering on the brink of an epiphany.

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

We hated him for attacking our beloved vidya, like, last week or so. But then he said something critical about Sarkeesian, and now we loves him!

But this is totes about vidya and not Quinn or Sarkeesian u guize! We don’t hate women, honest! We loves them!

Oh, just to clarify: “Love” is a synonym for “objectify”, “dehumanize” and “hate”, right?

/gamergate channeling

taitaisanchez

There’s no way in hell that Gamer Gate isn’t some kind of insidious art project of some kind. This is beyond satirization. There’s … well, it’s not funny anymore, and it’s certainly tragic given the abuse and harassment gone on. It’s bizarre watching the movement basically shed itself of it’s pretenses of “ethics in garmez jurnalizm.”

AcidTrial
AcidTrial

I need to stop reading about Gamergate. My face it getting sore from my palm repeatedly hitting it.

shadethedruid

What’s with ‘gaters and spellchecking? Unless there’s been an influx of “sexsims” when I wasn’t looking?

seraph4377

Reblogged this on Dreams of the Shining Horizon and commented:
For a long time now, Jack Thompson has been Satan for video gamers. He really does want to take their video games away, and he really does want to censor what’s left, and for a time he had a bit of a movement going for that purpose. When Gamergaters wanted to thoroughly demonize someone, they accused them of being like Jack Thompson.
And now, because he said a few condemnatory things about Anita Sarkeesian, he has earned the favor of Gamergaters.
Not that there was any doubt left at this point, but I would like to present Exhibit #8,756,982 that GamerGate exists for the purpose of harassing women out of video games, and that purpose alone, and they’re willing to work with the Satan of Video Games to do it.

ej
ej

Teetering on the brink of an epiphany.

They get so close, but always get pulled back from the edge. It’s frustrating to see things like this because they have the concept. They just can’t seem to apply it to anyone they disagree with.

Someone who says a few things I agree with = Complex, reasonable, not that bad
Someone I disagree with or don’t like = DEMON!!!!!1!!

In other news, Julien Blanc has been denied entry to the UK.

Tabby Lavalamp

Sigh. At this point I don’t think there is literally anyone Gamergate wouldn’t embrace as long as they speak out against Sarkeesian, Quinn, or “SJWs”. And I do mean literally because they’ve embraced actual Nazis.

Bina
Bina

I love the smell of burning ironies in the morning.

Lisa C (@hppykittystudio)

I’ve read these blogs and others regarding GG, and this shows that these creeps will do anything for attention and the harassment of others. It’s pretty sickening.
This story is a little off topic, but probably fun for you as it was for me in light of GG behavior.
Yesterday afternoon, I head to a Game Stop after work to pick up Dragon Age: Inquisition, as I intended to do the day it came out. I walk to the checkout line, a woman without a guy that could be a significant other or son with the game box in hand. Behind me, two boys in their late teens maybe are giving me dirty looks. I assumed that it had something to do with my getting to the line before them until their conversation turned to things like how gamer gate is needed, there were too many ‘fake’ gamer girls, and what if they get the last games, etc. I don’t know if the clerk heard any of this, as he was on the phone answering a customer question while looking for a charger for the woman trying to keep her small child from having a tantrum in front of me. I get to the counter, rewards card in hand. He checks my ID and smiles a little as he tells me that I got the last copy of the game.

sunnysombrera

ej: YEEEESSSS!!!!!! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Also, have you guys seen his SorryNotSorry speech?

It’s got all the features of a non apology:
“I was taken out of context”
“I was trying to be funny but it was bad humour.”
“Woe is me, this campaign has ruined my life to an extent.”

Ooh, can we start a Non Apology Bingo card?

isidore13

*wishes the US could also ban him* Can we just airlift him to some tropical island or something?

isidore13

and by tropical I mean uninhabited otherwise, sorry.

sunnysombrera

Drop him off somewhere in the Amazon, he’ll be fiiiiine.

Sarah
Sarah

Well at least we’ve established that to criticize (or even hate and misrepresent) games and gamers is not a problem as long as you’re male. Good to know.

ej
ej

Ooh, can we start a Non Apology Bingo card?

Yes! Here are some ideas:
-out of context
-I’m sorry I offended people
-I didn’t mean it like that
-I’m unhappy that people are mad at me
-It was a joke/mocking

That’s just what I came up with from rewatching the CNN interview.

Pocket Nerd
Pocket Nerd

Reactionary, racist, and misogynist… Jack sounds like a perfect fit for the gamergitz.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

GGers really are taking the view that “the enemy of my enemy is my friend,” a trope that is rarely true and only believed by the naive. Most people/organizations with multiple enemies are pleased when those enemies begin fighting each other, because this is the rational response almost all of the time. GGer’s take the unsophisticated-comic-book position instead.

Occasionally, though, the trope is true. Every now and then you really do want to ally yourself with a former enemy to gang up on the much more dangerous foe.

The fact that they hooked up with Jack Thompson, the guy who actually does want to get rid of video games and has taken actual legal and political steps toward this goal, to gang up on Anita Sarkeesian, who just says that video games could be less lazy and more inclusive, tells you exactly what they think is the more dangerous possible outcome.

GGers are actually telling us that they think destroying video games forever would be a preferable outcome to having female characters wear sensible armor and have agency. But GG is not about misogyny, nosirreebob. No misogyny there!

andiexist
andiexist

So they’d rather have their games literally taken away than confront a few sexist tropes, then?

Sarah
Sarah

– I didn’t mean to offend anyone
– I’m sorry *if* I offended anyone
– I love
– I have an friend/colleage/neighbor/spouse

– You misunderstood me
– My intentions were good

Luzbelitx

Rest assured they’ll find it…

blanktie
blanktie

Wow, these guys are making it really easy to discredit them. This is just another piece of evidence that this whole fiasco is only about hating women, if THAT’S the glue that holds these almost completely opposite positions together. Thompson literally despises gamers, but as long as he’s on board with hating their least favorite woman it’s A-ok. Keep burying yourself guys.

Sarah
Sarah

Sorry, formatting problems:

– I didn’t mean to offend anyone
– I’m sorry *if* I offended anyone
– I love [oppressed group]
– I have an [oppressed group] friend/colleage/neighbor/spouse
– [“compliment” about oppressed group, bonus points if objectifying, condescending or stereotypical]
– You misunderstood me
– My intentions were good

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

Yay! Julian car-Blanc-le (sorry, I’m not good at puns) won’t be stepping onto Briatain’s shores any time soon. 😀
This still doesn’t put our Home Secretary in my good books, though. >:( Still a nasty Tory.

The cognitive dissonance is strong with these GamerGits. It’s a wonder their heads don’t explode from it.

weirwoodtreehugger

Of course that’s a big part of it. Compare the vitriol Felicia Day for mild criticism while Chris Kluwe was left alone even though he absolutely eviscerated them.

That’s not the whole story though I don’t think. GG is not about ethics in games journalism. It’s not even about games at all. It’s a loose group of reactionary right wingers who use the tag to rail against social justice. At first glance it seems inconsistent for them to embrace all these people who have expressed disdain for games and gamers. But it isn’t at all. Because this is about nothing more than a right wing circle jerk and any right winger is welcomed to the party.

weirwoodtreehugger

Good news about Blanc. Now if we could only ban him from the US. Unfortunately, it takes a whole lot to be banned from this country. The only time I’ve heard of it was with people on terrorism watch lists.

sunnysombrera

– I’m being unfairly picked on and targeted.
– They’re conspiring/jealous.
– I did it because of my childhood/unrelated bad things that happened to me/my mother.
– Let’s look at the bigger picture here.
– Nobody’s perfect.

Tanya Nguyen

I mean, you read those tweets, saying things like “we have found people to be complex”, “we don’t demonize the way they do, see how we treat Jack”, and “Jack Thompson explains the first amendment” and you wonder how their heads do not simply explode due to the cognitive dissonance not slapping, but out right punching them in the face in their tweets.

weirwoodtreehugger

I noticed in the poll results that a few people thought the Jack quotes were Anita’s. I’m guessing that means a few trolls took the quiz.

davidknewton
davidknewton

What the bloody hell does “based” mean? Why do they call it “vidya”? Why don’t Gamergate speak like normal people?

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

Non-Apology Bingo sounds great. 🙂 How about:

– I’m sorry people have chosen to take offense at this.
– I had NO IDEA that people would be SO SENSITIVE about this, guys!
– I didn’t think I would ever get caught.
– I’m sorry but it’s not my fault if people were dumb enough to follow my bad advice.
– I orchestrated the whole thing, but it totally got out of hand and beyond my control.
OR –> I’m the Leader, but I’m not responsible for the extremists in my group.
– I’m sorry that I had to do it, but it was totally justifiable and I still stand by all of it.
– I’m making this apology because *person in position of authority* told me I had to do it.
– Instead of making a public apology, I resign from my job, never to be held accountable.

Am I doing it right?

shadethedruid

Tanya Nguyen: “Jack Thompson explains the first amendment”

I don’t know why, but the phrasing made me imagine a children’s picture book with that as the title.

Puddleglum

Wait, we supposed to answer the quiz without snarky sarcasm? My bad…

Puddleglum

*we were, that is.

MrFoster
MrFoster

So yesterday zombie Rod Serling crawled out of his grave and gave me an unexpected high-five out of nowhere. Now I know why because that is straight out of a Twilight Zone episode.

tinyorc

davidknewton:

Slang/memes from Reddit/4chan. I’m not sure if they realise how incomprehensible they sound to non-channers, but I think they like the fact that it makes them seem more like an exclusive club.

You know, like when children make up a secret code language and then point and laugh at other kids who have no clue what they’re talking about.

phasma
phasma

In the immortal words of internet confusion: lol wut

Oh, but you see, he voiced an antifeminist position therefore he automatically became Based Censor.

Pocket Nerd
Pocket Nerd
Reply to  davidknewton

Thus Spake Zaradavidknewton:

Subcultures often use terminology as a way of distinguishing in-group from out-group. This isn’t inherently a bad thing on its own; it’s akin to the in-jokes that only you and your friends understand.

Cults and other extreme ideologies, however, tend to invent and redefine words as a sort of memetic inoculation against out-group thinking. “You’re worried that I’m throwing my life away, but that’s field thinking.” “The media won’t talk about white extinction because of their ethnomasochism.” “David called me a woman-hater, but he’s just a total beta. Probably getting cucked as we speak.”

The degree to which Gamergate indulges in this practice, and the implications thereof, are left as an exercise to the reader.

tinyorc

The “Literally Who” things reminds me of a girl in my class who used to get bullied a lot when we were around eight. A specific group of other girls used to make cruel jokes about her, deliberately within earshot – they loved trying to get a rise out of her because she was known for flying off the handle very easily. She would explode, the bullies would feign innocence, she would end up looking like the aggressor, etc. Classic pattern. Anyway, our teacher wasn’t stupid and got wise to this tactic and told the little shits to cut it out.

The bullies got around this sanction by inventing nicknames for Anna. They were all based on eight year-old logic, and therefore totally inane and usually born of some private in-joke. But anyway, it was still abundantly clear who they were targeting and Anna would still tearfully confront them from time to time. At which point, they would go into “GOD, you’re so vain, I can’t believe you thought we were talking about YOU, I’m going to tell teacher that you’re listening to our PRIVATE conversation!” So Anna would feel flustered and humiliated and powerless to do anything while these girls continued to tear her down under the masterful guise of discussing “Mrs. Banana”.

I feel like GammerGag, as a movement, has just about achieved the same level of reasoning and maturity.

leftwingfox

@tinyorc & davidnewton: The slang is a good indication that most of the impetus for Gamergate is mob mentality. They’re putting on performances for friends for praise, rather than trying to reach outside the community to make a change.

That about the only intelligent thing I can say about any of this. This is like the communist party praising Joseph McCarthy. This is a black hole of cognitive dissonance, and I’m caught in the event horizon.

Puddleglum

Completely off topic, but holy shit, State of New York, do you have enough snow?!??!! Are all the mammotheers there doing okay?

Falconer

So the upshot is, we have no idea what “Based” means except that it’s positive? Gotcha.

1 2 3 4