a woman is always to blame antifeminism crackpottery dark enlightenment domestic violence evil women excusing abuse f. roger devlin men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA oppressed white men patriarchy racism whaaaaa?

Manosphere philosopher F. Roger Devlin asks: "Is the Violence Against Women Act an attempt to get back at men for their failure to put women in their place?"

I don't get it either.
I don’t get it either.

You may remember woman-hating white nationalist F. Roger Devlin as the guy who invented “hypergamy” – or at least the misogynistic cartoon version of the concept popular in Men’s Rights and other “red pill” subcultures.

Well, Devlin also has some thoughts on domestic violence, and they make even less sense.

In a recent post on the far-right Counter-Currents Publishing website, Devlin takes on what he calls “The Question of Female Masochism.” His basic thesis: that women – or at least a lot of them – get a sexual thrill out of being physically abused.

His proof? That Clark Gable won the hearts of female moviegoers by playing a series of macho cads. And that Tammy Wynette married a number of men who allegedly abused her. Devlin writes:

If Tammy Wynette never took up with a man who failed to abuse her, there can be only one explanation: Tammy had a thing for nasty boys.

If you put a woman like this in a room with a dozen men, within five minutes she would be exclusively focused on the meanest, most domineering and brutal fellow in the room.

Also something about cavemen and chimps and how women are a bunch of manipulative monsters; my eyes glazed over.

So far this is fairly standard-issue misogynistic victim-blaming. But Devlin, clever fellow that he is, takes it a step further.

As he sees it, society has done such a good job of controlling the violent tendencies that women secretly pine for “rough men” like Clark Gable, who aren’t afraid to put women “in their place” even if it means punching them in the nose.

A society-wide failure of men to take charge of women is likely to produce a great deal of conscious or unconscious sexual frustration in women which may express itself as sadism.

And so, as Devlin sees it, these women – a bunch of mascochists turned sadists – are taking their revenge against wimpy men by … supporting laws against domestic violence. No, really, that’s what he thinks:

Is the Violence Against Women Act an attempt to get back at men for their failure to put women in their place? Surely women would rather have Clark Gable than take out more restraining orders, force men to take more anger management classes, enjoy more absurd police-state protections from men who are increasingly wimpy anyway.

Uh, what? I’ll let Bea Arthur handle this one.

Dorothy_make_no_sense

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Well, his butt walking away was also a highlight, but yes, in general I concede your point.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Hate to see him go, but love to watch him leave.

I don’t know where they found that magic pair of jeans. His legs never looked quite so long again in subsequent films.

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

I found a live one! (By live one I mean a hilariously projecting MRA/neoreactionary). Check out these two tweets:

He also retweeted this:

He’s also a gamer-hating #Gamergate Supporter:

kittehserf - MOD

Buttercup – I thought you might like this one! 😀

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

I does, I does! I love the regal sideways glance. Good timing, too, that Mr. K was able to model it before summer gets too hot (though I don’t know what the seasons are like across the veil).

Bina
Bina

“The righteous authority of kingship”? Oh fucking BROTHER. I guess someone has never heard of inbreeding or the mental effects it tends to have. Especially when taken to the extremes of, say, Pharaonic Egypt.

Bina
Bina

(And don’t get me started on “venal imbeciles”. Dubya is the first one that comes to mind, and he is descended from actual royalty. Pity he wasn’t really elected, which kind of shoots this moron’s whole “point” to shit.)

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

@Bina

Or Rome. Or the Habsburgs of Spain. Or…

pallygirl
pallygirl

Keanu Reeves, how could no one mention Speed?

I find Sean Bean, Dwayne Johnson, and Arnold Vosloo all unbelieveably sexy.

And in scifi: Lani Tupu from Farscape, Steve Bacic from various (e.g. Andromeda), and of course Jason Momoa.

I shall continue to boast about meeting Jason Momoa at a comiccon type thing, where we paid to have our photo taken. He is a really genuinely nice guy. He has those sort of smiley eyes where you know the person spends most of their time smiling and enjoys having fun with others. He also has the most awesome stories (like going to the pub after shooting Game of Thrones, still wearing mascara because all the make-up wouldn’t come off, and people noticing he was wearing mascara, but no-one coming up to him and saying anything).

weirwoodtreehugger

I’m not usually into big burly men but I would definitely make an exception for Jason Momoa. It’s because he has warm eyes and a gorgeous smile.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I can do tall but not burly, and usually not very manly in general, but I’d go for Momoa too. Maybe it’s just all the eyeliner they have him wearing in GOT.

starterlifesydney
starterlifesydney

This is a link to an interesting article comparing PUA tactics vs actually learning how to attract women:

pallygirl
pallygirl

Thanks to the herding cats ad linked in the other thread, that has reminded me of an attribute that makes men damned attractive: caring for animals.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Emailing you something.

kittehserf - MOD

Buttercup – the weather across the veil (our part of it, that is) is pretty much like France, as you might expect, though without extremes. Snow’s not killingly cold – okay I’m stretching the metaphor there! – and summer’s warm to hot without being horrible like it is here. Imagine what being on campaign in the south of France and wearing armour on the dog days was like, my oath …

Kootiepatra

I’d think the internet’s collective swooning over Tom Hiddleston would disprove the idea that women only like jerks.

And I do have to admit, while I didn’t have any particularly strong opinion about him as Loki — besides that he did a great job in the acting — the more I see him in interviews and behind the scenes stuff, well, dang. Super attractive.

sunnysombrera

While we’re talking about attractive film actors, I found a Buzzfeed quiz titled “Would You Rather: Hot Guys vs Food”.

Be warned, there are some hard choices in there. 😛 Like Chris Pratt vs free burrito ingredients for life.

gilshalos

I looked through that link and…um generally I mademy choices on whether it was food I liked, rather than the guy

gilshalos

The few times it was an actor I liked (Idris Elba), it was food I /really/ liked. But where I chose the guy it was mainly cos I hated the food.

kittehserf - MOD

My reaction to most of the questions was “Eww, neither, thanks.” A lot of that food I’ve never heard of and don’t want to try, or certainly not eat on those terms (fish and chips every night? How nauseating) and of the blokes I’ve even heard of, the only one not an active turn-off is Jake Gyllenhall, and that’s only in *some* makeup/wig combinations. Sure, they’re handsome (well, most … Bernard Cumberbatch and Tom Hiddleston? Blech) but just not appealing to me even on a hypothetical level. I loathe over-muscled bodies.

Sarah
Sarah

Sarah
Sarah

I meant, QFT 🙂

gilshalos

*eyes Kitteh*

Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hiddleston are gods!

OK, tastes vary, but I could stare at them for hours. 🙂

kittehserf - MOD

LOL! Okay, you can stare at them, I’ll stare elsewhere. 😀

sunnysombrera

I admit I took the quiz half seriously. I agree with Kitteh that some of the food options sound awful in real life. Only eating brownies for the rest of my days? Fish and chips every night? No thanks! Plus I wouldnt really get in bed with anyone outside of a relationship, even if they were a hot male celebrity.

But then, free burrito ingredients and all you can eat ribs sounds genuinely great. Also, having my chores done by Ryan Reynolds. Also, the super cheesy macaroni cheese. I do love cheese…

shadethedruid

I’m having fun imagining an MRA coming here and stumbling into the middle of this conversation. 😛

kittehserf - MOD

shadethedruid – we’ve used conversations like this (or about bras, that usually works) to chase trolls away before. 😀

sunnysombrera – yeah, it’s the eating X all the time that’s really off-putting in that list. And I totally agree, it’s one thing to have fantasies about someone (or about just a fictional character) but actually wanting sex with them, even assuming they wanted it? Um, nope.

sunnysombrera

Haha! Cue the cries of “MISANDRY! Objectifying men! See, women are just as bad!”

To which I’d point out that we’re only talking about how hot the men are, and unlike some other male oriented sites we are not discussing what we’d like to do to them sexually with or without their consent.

sunnysombrera

*some other (male oriented) sites. Punctuation, come back!

Misha
Misha

At the moment it’s Dane DeHaan for me. He was dubbed the next James Dean and I thought, “Yes. Yes he is”.

Speaking of Buzzfeed, I saw this posted a couple of days ago and some of them gave me a giggle.

I now want a tiny little bottle of Male Tears that glows in the dark.

vaiyt

So, if women are supposed to be treated like shit because they like fictional “assholes”, are we supposed to throw men who like villains in prison?

dhag85

I’ve always thought the “hypergamy” idea was in part linked to the fact that these guys only seem to think of a very small group of women as actual women that you can date and otherwise interact with. Any woman who, in their eyes, is not extremely physically attractive, or happens to be over 25 years old, is not even taken into account. Obviously 1% of women can’t date 100% of men, so the other 99% of men are forced to a life in solitude, or.. *shudders* ..they might have to talk to a woman who doesn’t look like Selena Gomez.

(Actually, I’m not sure whether Selena Gomez counts as attractive among MRAs.)

duckbunny

Some of those questions are definitely “sex you don’t want or food you don’t like?” for me. I’m mostly vegetarian and I tend to prefer slender dark-haired men. So… heavily muscled blond dude or bacon! Um, do I have to have either?

I do like Hiddleston’s Loki, though. Wouldn’t want anything to do with him in real life, but hey, “real life” and “private fantasy” are under no obligation to correspond.

Lea
Lea

Nequam,
*fistbump*

I also <3 Price and Lee.

Kitteh,
DAT HAT!
Love it.

Nequam
Nequam

Lea: I had the great pleasure of meeting Vincent Price back in 1986. I’d love to meet Christopher Lee, but I doubt I will get to the UK in time. 🙁

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

Those are all very handsome men, but the correct answer is Adam Beach. (I really tried to stay out of this one, but I am weak)

Bad_dog
Bad_dog

I had to come out of lurkdom for the conversation on attractive celebrities who are also good people. I’ve always had a thing for Hugo Weaving (except V for Vandetta, lord do I loath that movie). I felt like a big weirdo for having a huge crush on Agent Smith in The Matrix when I was thirteen, then when the LOTR movies came out, that just added to the Hugo crush 🙂 As well he is an animal rights advocate, and he has been with his wife since 1984 and has two children. So… What’s this about women liking bad boys again?

Puddleglum

Oooh, Hugo Weaving. He’s definitely up there. Hollywood’s full of pretty men, not really sure I’d like to meet any of them though (there’s nothing like the crushing disappointment of realizing someone is an asshat). My teen crushes though, were Eric Stoltz, Val Kilmer & John Cusack. Make of it what you will.

Michelle C Young

Wut.

Michelle C Young

@Jenora Feuer – Clark Gable was not in Arsenic and Old Lace. That was Carey Grant.

Clark Gable was, however, in It Happened One Night, I believe, as well as a few other comedies. He was a good actor, and didn’t always play abusive jerks.

Michelle C Young

@wwth

Louis is one of the least bad vampires out there (until Twilight came along anyway).

Me, too!

As for Twilight, I saw the movie, and of all the vampires, I like Jasper the best. He struggled daily, hourly, and it was a real pain for him NOT to give in to his vampiric nature. That, to me, is darned heroic!

If it’s easy, and not a struggle, then it’s no big deal, right?

Also, Jasper didn’t stalk his lover. He and Alice had a great, mutually respectful relationship, from what I could see.

The best star of the show, however, was the scenery. LOVED that scenery! The characters and plot? Ehhhhh.

Now, if you look at it not as a romance, but as an epic tale of good vs. evil, then, well, I’ve seen worse. I liked the sneaky that Alice pulled at the end.

Basically, I got interested enough in the “Is someone going to kill the foolish Bella” enough to watch until the end. Why? Because I liked Charlie, and didn’t want him to grieve.

When it was all said and done, I felt sorry for Bella’s Mom. She can’t ever know her grandchild, because she won’t be so “Don’t ask questions” as Charlie. But then again, she hardly had a relationship with her daughter by then, anyway, it seems to me.

Of course, the least-bad vampire of all time has got to be Count Von Count. Or maybe Count Chocula. It’s a toss-up.

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

I thought Louis was just annoying. If being a vampire sucks that bad, why not just go sun tan?

I never did see or read Twilight, as it just sounded…creepy. Not quite the right word, but something just put me off about the whole premise, but I can’t just put my finger on it.

Actually, I thought the least-bad vampire ever was Nick Knight. At least he was trying to make up for his evil, evil ways. (the TV series was called ‘Forever Knight’ for those lucky many who aren’t familiar with Canadian television)

weirwoodtreehugger

Teenage me found Louis angst appealing. Adult ne, not so much. I like book Lestat but neither Tom Cruise or Stuart Townsend captured him. Cruise had the attitude but not the charm. Townsend had neither.

tigtog
Reply to  Bad_dog

Bad_dog, living in Sydney I’ve seen Hugo Weaving around town a few times – the first time I remember was in the parking station for a homeware multiplex about twenty years ago, when he and another dad/uncle-like bloke of a similar age were shepherding a gaggle of small girls in tutus and layers of sparkly things and mixed animal ears that had that crumpled pulled-from-the-dress-up-box look rather than a planned fancy-dress-party look. It was utterly adorable, and I’ve had a soft spot for him ever since.

Sabura

@Lea:

Why are the people who are certain of their superiority always the most deficient people anyone could ever have the misfortune to meet?

Dunning-Kruger effect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

Dear devlin

I personally like Elvis Presley

pawsjones
pawsjones

So ridiculous. I thought Sean Bean was the hottest man alive for quite a few years, but learning he’s abusive turned me right off him.

Falconer

Yep, Gable is in It Happened One Night, with Claudette Colbert. He plays a hard-bitten New York journo with a heart of gold who gets involved in a cross-country trip with Colbert’s upper-class runaway bride, and she realizes she doesn’t really love her fiance who does things like arrive to parties in an autogyro, she loves this journo.

It is what it is, but I thought it was sweet.

I had a Cary Grant avatar for a while. The man could wear a fedora like very few others.

Falconer

He is? Aw, crap.

kittehserf - MOD

tigtog – that’s a much more appealing image of Hugo Weaving than anything I’ve seen (his Elrond was just straight into nopetopus territory for me). Shepherding mini fancy-dress kids sounds adorable.