a woman is always to blame antifeminism crackpottery dark enlightenment domestic violence evil women excusing abuse f. roger devlin men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA oppressed white men patriarchy racism whaaaaa?

Manosphere philosopher F. Roger Devlin asks: "Is the Violence Against Women Act an attempt to get back at men for their failure to put women in their place?"

I don't get it either.
I don’t get it either.

You may remember woman-hating white nationalist F. Roger Devlin as the guy who invented “hypergamy” – or at least the misogynistic cartoon version of the concept popular in Men’s Rights and other “red pill” subcultures.

Well, Devlin also has some thoughts on domestic violence, and they make even less sense.

In a recent post on the far-right Counter-Currents Publishing website, Devlin takes on what he calls “The Question of Female Masochism.” His basic thesis: that women – or at least a lot of them – get a sexual thrill out of being physically abused.

His proof? That Clark Gable won the hearts of female moviegoers by playing a series of macho cads. And that Tammy Wynette married a number of men who allegedly abused her. Devlin writes:

If Tammy Wynette never took up with a man who failed to abuse her, there can be only one explanation: Tammy had a thing for nasty boys.

Also something about cavemen and chimps and how women are a bunch of manipulative monsters; my eyes glazed over.

So far this is fairly standard-issue misogynistic victim-blaming. But Devlin, clever fellow that he is, takes it a step further.

As he sees it, society has done such a good job of controlling the violent tendencies that women secretly pine for “rough men” like Clark Gable, who aren’t afraid to put women “in their place” even if it means punching them in the nose.

A society-wide failure of men to take charge of women is likely to produce a great deal of conscious or unconscious sexual frustration in women which may express itself as sadism.

And so, as Devlin sees it, these women – a bunch of mascochists turned sadists – are taking their revenge against wimpy men by … supporting laws against domestic violence. No, really, that’s what he thinks:

Is the Violence Against Women Act an attempt to get back at men for their failure to put women in their place? Surely women would rather have Clark Gable than take out more restraining orders, force men to take more anger management classes, enjoy more absurd police-state protections from men who are increasingly wimpy anyway.

Uh, what? I’ll let Bea Arthur handle this one.

Dorothy_make_no_sense

Tabby Lavalamp

I’m surprised they’re aware of any movie stars existing before Brad Pitt.

Jarred H

If you put a woman like this in a room with a dozen men, within five minutes she would be exclusively focused on the meanest, most domineering and brutal fellow in the room. the meanest, most domineering and brutal fellow in the room will do everything he can to monopolize her attention and isolate her from the rest of the group.

Fixed that for you, Devlin.

Jarred H

Darn, strikeout didn’t work.

BarnBurner
BarnBurner
proxieme
proxieme

At first, I misread that as “thefedorist” rather than “the federalist”.

Lea
Lea

Not beating women makes them sexually frustrated so they make laws to prevent men beating women for revenge?

Because beating women is a special treat men enjoy and taking it away from them is a mean and spiteful punishment?

*deep breath*

W
T
F

Clarke Gable died in 1960. Yet the popularity of his films in his lifetime proves that contemporary women miss the good ‘ol days when men could knock you around without repercussions even if you were a country music star?

Really? Sexist tropes in old movies and the fact that a few men abused Tammy Wynette proves that women are all (ALL) dishonest, horny, vengeful masochists?

diana6815

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised. This is in line with other no-means-yes propaganda.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Brb after I untwist my eyebrows enough so that I can read again.

Seriously, what? I know they think that women are innately illogical, but still…huh?

alaisvex
alaisvex

So, once again, some women being drawn to abusive men says volumes about the true nature of women, but some men being abusive says absolutely nothing about the true nature of men.

Lea
Lea

*deep breath*

W
T
F

Somebody ought to warn Roger Devlin not to talk smack about Ms. Wynette. I know exactly who I’d like to see do it too.
comment image

Lea
Lea

I do not know why the first comment reposted with the second.

Oops?

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I mean, if you wanted to connect VAWA and the idea of vengeance, wouldn’t it be just a teensy bit more logical to suggest that it was about women getting vengeance on men for beating us than getting vengeance on them for not beating us enough?

alaisvex
alaisvex

Oh, also, it’s worth noting that, even in 1939 when Gone With the Wind came out, the implied marital rape scene caused controversy for being a scene that implied marital rape. So, while Margaret Mitchell’s writing might have reflected her own experiences of having been married to a man who had raped her at least once during their marriage, men and women, by and large, were raising their eyebrows at that particular scene even back in 1939.

freemage

The stupid, it buurrrrnssss…

Lea
Lea

If anybody does not know Brother Boy and his enduring love for Tammy Wynette, I highly recommend checking out Sordid Lives.

Moggie
Moggie

Obviously the feeemales are a monolith, so of course you can generalise from Tammy Wynette. I plan to study her lyrics on “Justified & Ancient (Stand by The JAMs)” for further insights on women in general.

weirwoodtreehugger

His evidence that women love abusive men is that an actor who’s been dead for 50 years played assholes and was still popular with women 75 years ago? That make so much sense!

Plus liking an actor does not mean you sanction everything their characters do. I think Tom Hiddleston, for example is so popular with women not because he is best known for playing a villain, but because offscreen he seems like a great guy.

andiexist
andiexist

So, let me get this straight. This guy thinks:

a) all women are masochists

b) this makes them seek out abusive men

c) abusive men do not beat women enough

d) this makes women want revenge by depriving themselves of beatings

…this man, where he is living, it is not reality.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

I love how confused he sounds here. C’mon, gals, don’t you even know what you want? Why would you choose to feel valued, safe, and respected when you could have a movie cad from several decades ago?

And since everything is run by the all-powerful ladygovernment, wouldn’t you think we’d simply legislate a Pitt in every pot, if that’s really what we ladies crave? Why would we react to frustration by creating even more frustration?

seraph4377

@ alaisvex – I’m glad to learn that. I like to believe that most relationships down through history have had a certain baseline of respect and genuine affection, despite a lack of equality – that history wasn’t populated by MRA’s, despite the fact that they seem to have written a disproportionate number of history books, philosophy books, and scriptures. That bit of news reassures me.

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

So making violence illegal is a form of “sadism” that gives women a sexual thrill?? The VAWA is pretty hot, but nowhere near as sexy as sending my voter registration form in the post. Phwoar. Such power play. Many suffrage.

I can think of a lot more sadistic things that I would do to this lowlife and his ilk. Only I wouldn’t be doing it to get off. I’m pretty selfless like that.

Real BDSM is about CONSENT.

schwadevivre

So … how does Mr Devlin explain the popularity of George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Leonardo di Caprio, Johnny Depp and Patrick Stewart?

zennurse
zennurse

I can’t find any info on this guy except his articles. No bio. One says he has a PhD but not in what. MRA’s sure have a low bar when it comes to vetting their experts, don’t they?

“This sounds good and its right here on the internet!!!! Yeah, perfect”

Wow. Every day an education for this aging hippie, right here at WHTM. 😉

Sambarge
Sambarge

The nice thing about being stupid is that you can’t imagine a different answer or take on an issue than the one that occurred to you first. I believe this might be the aegis of the saying “ignorance is bliss”.

zennurse
zennurse

Totally OT, but not,

Julien Blanc was on CNN.

Interviewer was brutal.

Julien ‘choked’. He’s so sorry…… For getting caught.

Can’t link but its in the website and on YouTube.

ellaindc

This makes literally zero sense. Thoughts on the subject:

a.) does he know Rhett Butler is…. fictional?

b.) dude, even ACTUAL MASOCHISTS (like in bdsm) don’t want to be attacked for no reason. context, it exists!

c.) and this relates to VAWA… how? that would be like telling a chef “you made apple pie when I wanted cherry! I’ll show you! I’ll steal all your cherries so you can never make cherry pie (which I want) again!” flawless reasoning there.

Lea
Lea

WWTH,
Hiddles’s smile could light up a thousand rooms. He sometimes plays sullen characters like the flamboyantly evil, but destined to fail Loki and the near fatally depressed romantic Adam, but he’s downright perky irl. He was a great Henry V. I’m looking forward to seeing him in Crimson Peak. Cool guy, great actor. Mark Ruffalo is still my favorite avenger, though. He’s an outspoken feminist and a science bro.

That said, having a pants fire for a sexy villain does not indicate a desire to be abused. If it did, all of the guys with a thing for Catwoman or Emma Frost would be proof that all men want bad girls who will roundhouse kick them in the face.

Which is why I think this is great:

Aunt Edna
Aunt Edna

This is just another riff on the Poor Me Nice Guy theme — i.e., why oh why all these stupid sluts have sex with nasty abusive men like instead of good guys like me?

Obviously it shows that women like nasty abusive men because those men get all the pussy they want all the time, while a good guy like me has to go without.

That sure is proof that only abusive alpha men who know how to handle women and put them in their place are what women really desire. Ergo, women don’t know what’s good for them. Ergo, we must take their stupid rights away from them. For their own good.

That’s red pill logic, or what passes for it.

lacerta viridis
lacerta viridis

YOU’RE ONLY TELLING ME TO STOP HITTING YOU BECAUSE YOU’RE SO UPSET THAT I’M NOT HITTING YOU!

Yeah, *women* are the ones with the bizarre hamster logic. Mmhm.

gilshalos

Tom Hiddleston played Henry V ??!

WHERE CAN I SEE THIS ? WHO DO I GIVE MONEY TO ??!

isidore13
zennurse
zennurse

Isidore

Thanks for linking! It is impossible on a tablet, should have laptop this week, yay.

isidore13

zennurse, no problem. My favorite part was the interviewer just totally smacking down his nonpology and pointing out that in it he took no responsibility for “what happened”.

ikanreed
ikanreed

I got back at my computer for having a virus by going to obscure Russian websites and downloading free screensavers.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

“Why are the people who are certain of their superiority always the most deficient people anyone could ever have the misfortune to meet?”

There’s a term for this: the Dunning-Kruger Effect. There was a recent article by the Dunning half of this effect on the topic which I think is very much worth reading.

Tracy

@zennurse

One says he has a PhD but not in what.

In his case, I believe it stands for Pig-headed Dunce.

BarnBurner
BarnBurner

This is even more sinister

limesweet

Re the CNN/Julian Blanc video, that was great. Of course, every thing was taken out of context, it was just his sense of humour. Hahahahahahhaha. I loved that interviewer!

ParadoxicalIntention
ParadoxicalIntention

AltoFronto-

“But seriously, why do I always see the language of BDSM tied up (ha, pun) with domestic abuse? It. Is. NOT. AN. EXCUSE. FOR YOUR NASTY, EVIL BEHAVIOUR.
Real BDSM is about CONSENT.”

Which is why I *despise* Fifty Shades of Grey.

The non-consented, abusive, dirtbag behavior I see in that book masquerading around as BDSM makes me *very* nervous for women who pick up this book and don’t see anything wrong with how the “love interest” acts.

sparky
sparky

Clark Gable was a good-looking man, which I think is a more likely explanation of why he was popular with heterosexual women rather than the marital rape scene from Gone with the Wind.

The rest is just…what? Women like to be beaten, whic is why they advocated for the Violence Against Women Act to be passed. Because revenge against men for not beating them enough. Because that makes perfect sense.

Where’s my copy of How to Even for Dummies? Because I can’t even with this. It’s like Devlin just declared that the problem with the Sahara is that it’s all under water.

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

Is there an actual word or expression for the sort of logical fallacy that makes a bunch of words strewn on a page look like a train wreck? Because ‘so much fail’ sounds kinda weak, here.

Ellesar

I do not think that the use of ‘masochist’ in this context has anything to do with BDSM. It is just the pathetic notion that women are ‘naturally’ submissive (‘real’ women, anyway!) and he sees no difference between submissiveness and masochism. I don’t think this bloke is big on subtlety!
But compared to the ROK article featured here a couple of days ago this bloke sounds extremely reasonable and moderate! I am still reeling from the article that didn’t actually tell men to chain their wives to a radiator, but might as well have.

friday jones
friday jones

But @Tabby, Brad Pitt doesn’t exist, he’s been proven to be a figment of Ed Norton;s imagination!

zennurse
zennurse

Barn Burner

Paul Elam. Dean Esmay. Tara somebody.
He’s acting like its the world premiere of something, I’m sure hoping the DRAMA will make someone who matters will pay attention. (aside from his new buds at GG)

Or maybe he’s pissed that they didn’t let him in on the Super Seekrit Section6.

I can’t wait for the commentary.

zennurse
zennurse

In addition, Paul Elam throwing two hissy fits in one day says more about him than anything else.

There is a state of emergency and National Guard on the streets of Ferguson and were supposed to care about Paul Elam’s fee fees?

Nopedynope

Aerinea
Aerinea

@gilshalos The BBC did a series called “The Hollow Crown” which was a version of several of Shakespeare’s histories, starting with “Henry IV part 1.” Tom Hiddleston was Hal/Henry V through the production.

For the record, I hated “Gone with the Wind.” I haven’t seen the movie, but I did read the book, and I had no sympathy for any of the characters in it. Everyone seemed manipulative, abusive, or oblivious. I couldn’t stand Scarlett and didn’t find seeing the world through her eyes interesting at all. The people she surrounded herself with were horrible as well. I can understand finding Clark Gable attractive, but not Rhett Butler.

weirwoodtreehugger

I never read it but loved the movie as a kid. Then I saw it as an adult and realized it was a racist, sexist just all around horrible story.

Bina
Bina

Oh, oh. Aren’t we pretentious over there in Wingerland? F. Roger Devlin, is it? What does the F stand for? Fuctup, of course. Case in point:

Orrrrr maybe there are as many explanations for this as there are “nasty boys” who sucked Tammy into their orbit. Starting with her own grandfather, who sexually abused her when she was under the age of 11?

I’m pretty sure ol’ Rog got his Posthole Digger from a diploma mill, BTW.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

Also, really: Clark Gable, bad boy?

Has this guy not seen any of Gable’s comedies? Like Arsenic and Old Lace?

Sure, Clark Gable was one of Hollywood’s original ‘leading men’, but really, Arsenic and Old Lace shows a whole lot more of his acting talent than Gone with the Wind. Comedy is generally harder to pull off properly.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Yeah, there are “articles” written by dudes about how crazy it is that women like Don Draper. Don Draper, y’all. That must mean women must want men who are dysfunctional and chronic cheaters. Wait, no it doesn’t. Jon Hamm is a handsome, compelling actor who looks spiffy in a suit. Don Draper isn’t real, on the other hand. Oh, and did you actually ask women if they like being mistreated? No? Is your article based on reality or some strange grudge you’re carrying in your brain? Women are bizarre creatures who act/think illogically? You think women might actually enjoy being beaten and raped. You shouldn’t be allowed to go outside, jackass. It’s a good thing no one stops assholes from posting to the internet. How else would you vent your misguided frustrations?

1 2 3 4