crackpottery evil SJWs homophobia irony alert MRA reddit

This Men's Rights Redditor has figured out the source of Firefox's memory leaks

I am here to eat your memory.
I am here to eat your memory.

Oh, Firefox, I love your add-ons, but your memory leaks are killing me. And by “killing me” I mean “forcing me to restart you a lot more than I’d like to because of those damn memory leaks.”

Well guess what! One Men’s Rights Redditor has figured out the cause of these memory leaks, and all of Firefox’s other issues. It was Social Justice Warriors all along!

librtee_com 8 points 2 days ago   I can't help but wonder if the fact that Firefox still sucks..is still not very reliable..and still has memory leaks..is connected to the SJ madness that pushed out Eich?  People more concerned about 'social justice' bullshit that putting out a competently sound product. Par for the course.  Ditto GNOME. RIP. There's a silver lining, it caused me to try i3WM; since the day I installed it two+ years back I have never used anything else. It's so, so good and has no parallel in Windows or OSX.  The Linux kernel, however, seems to be safe from this madness, as long as the benevolent despot Torvalds maintains his well earned and popularly supported power.

Hmm. I’m pretty sure Brendan Eich ushered himself out the door because his support of Prop 8 had caused a virtual revolt in the Mozilla community. You know, the people without whom Firefox could not continue to exist as a viable piece of software. But whatever. Somehow Firefox would be magically bug-free if the dude the Mozilla community rejected had stuck around anyway because … Men’s Rights?

Fur dudes who like to think of themselves as master logicians these guys aren’t terribly logical a lot of the time.

H/T — r/againstmensrights

pallygirl

I was reading the comments in the linked The Verge piece. Apparently everyone who complains about the shirt is a sensitive flower who needs to get over it. And commenting on the guy’s shirt negatively is literally crucifying him (but spelt with an x, for some strange reason, not reading back).

With women in STEM already under attack for a couple of months now via GG, the fact that this guy wears a fucking sexist shirt in another STEM field is beyond the normal fucking levels of tone deafness.

Kim
Kim

It just comes across as pathetic to have a shirt that’s covered in cartoon boobs and butts be the hill you choose to die on.

They are upset that horrible feminist are taking attention away from the awesome thing they care about. Actually, no, it was the guy with the “LOOK AT ME” shirt on that took attention away from it.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

It’s so garish too. Even if it wasn’t sexist it’d still be butt ugly.

Bina

If someone else’s shirt prevents you from doing your job, you shouldn’t have that job.

Dear idiot commenter: You, and all the other purblind casual sexists like you, are the reason why we (meaning women) cannot have nice things.

Go back to your cave, you’re not fit for daylight.

Bina

Also, it’s not the shirt that prevents women from doing their jobs. It’s the SEXISM, stupid. You know, that institutional, endemic thing that women are working so hard to eradicate?

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

@ Bina – a few years ago, a co-worker of mine put up one of those fire fighter’s calendars at work. I didn’t appreciate it, as I thought it unprofessional. Some of my male co-workers, however, almost went ballistic. It came down after a few days. (just thought this was relevant because of the role-reversal. Turns out, in my experience, most men don’t like being objectified any more than most women do).

The basic problem with the response is that it boils down to “Don’t talk about sexism, there’s other stuff going on.”

There’s always other stuff going on. That response just means “Don’t talk about sexism, ever.”

Jarred H

The thing about memory leaks is that they’re not always obvious. For example, if you’re programming in C++, two common causes of memory leaks are (1) freeing a dynamically allocated array with delete instead of delete[] and (2) forgetting to declare destructors in derived classes as virtual. Those aren’t quite as obvious as looking for code where you just outright forgot to free up some piece of memory.

pallygirl

Exactly! Those firemen are posed sexually in those calendars (at least the ones I’ve seen advertised). The argument that was running the The Verve comment section was that the equivalent for objectifying men would be to have muscle-bound men on the shirt. But that’s not the same thing as the titty shirt he’s wearing – because muscle-bound representations of men don’t typically accentuate their sexuality, the depiction is to emphasize strength instead.

Freaking needs a tumblr of isthisshirtokay with women wearing shirts where men are depicted with at least hints of groin. Because that would be the same bloody thing. I can hear the howls of protest already, but really men should just stop being so sensitive.

kittehserf - MOD

Or, as I’ve said already, women with Tom of Finland shirts.

pallygirl

I had to search that. Yep, that would be the same. Some of those manchests look like they have (“idealised”) women breasts.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I used to use an icon of a very attractive musician shirtless on stage as my icon on Jezebel and a few other blogs, and you would not believe the number of enraged comments from men I got about that. He wasn’t even posed in a particularly provocative way, it was just a photo of a hot guy sans shirt playing a bass. So much rage from the dudes, so many demands that I change to a different icon. And that was an icon on the internet, it’s not like I had the photo printed on a shirt and wore it to work.

They really are complete babies about this.

Bina

I used to carry a pack of Chippendales cards in my purse to piss off guys who had sexist posters, calendars, etc. on their walls. They never appreciated it when I pointed out their hypocrisy…

Nequam
Nequam

A shirt made of cloth like this, perhaps:
comment image

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

@ Nequam – Oh, I die! I can’t imagine wearing a scrub set made of that to work! (strangely, I do have a scrub set that’s printed with an E. coli motif, but I digress).

@ Bina – the Chippendales cards idea is brilliant!

Nequam
Nequam

There’s several sexy-guy fabrics out there, though I don’t know if all are in production. This one’s pretty fabulous (and patriotic):

pallygirl

My favourite is the Halloween material off here: http://orangemercury.blogspot.co.nz/2010/02/fabric-design-with-tom-of-finland.html

So if had been a female scientist and she had worn a shirt with the devil picture all over it, the menz would be fine? LOL.

kittehserf - MOD

The flautist on that fabric is rather appealing, lol.

I’ve used topless (though only head and shoulders) pics of Mr K as my avatar before, but I dont think I’ve had dudebros whine about it. Main reason I take them down is first, in case it makes him uncomfortable, and second, in case it makes regulars here uncomfortable, as being inappropriate.

Bina

Oh myyy. For those kitschy fabrics, I might have to break out my old serger…and that camp-shirt pattern from the ’90s.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

That drummer in the bottom corner looks like he’s pulling out a wedgie.

marinerachel
marinerachel

Totally picking a wedgie.

Kim
Kim

What a coincidence though that it’s men doing the objectifying with the Tom of Findland stuff, even though it’s men who are the objects. Funny how that happens.

kittehserf - MOD

Those are the most restrained Tom of Finland pics I’ve ever seen. Most of ’em are … let’s say physically really unlikely as well as “would probably get you arrested if you wore them”.

Kim
Kim

lol, yeah – I googled tom of findland before I followed the posted link. There was one funny one with a poster stuck to a wall with a pipe coming out of the wall in a strategic place

Bina

It’s downright gay-gay-gaiety-gay-gay. Or, to quote the old Irish Spring soap commercial: “Manly, yes, but we like it too!”

Unimaginative

So, on the one hand, how dare you pay attention to what this person is wearing, pay attention to his Mad Skills! His Talent! Only his output of work should matter! You can’t judge a person by what they wear!

On the other hand, a) let’s dissect in minute detail what that rape victim was wearing to cause her to be raped, and b) the (non-military) vocations most likely to have a dress code imposed are overwhelmingly female-coded. Never mind about your skills, look at what you’re wearing! How can you expect to be taken seriously when you’re dressed like a prude/slut?

The flautist is getting a drumstick to the crotch.

Bina

A book can only be judged by its cover if the author is female. In which case, the publisher has already decided to market it as Chick Lit, and will accordingly dress it up in pink cupcake icing frills.

If a man wrote the same thing, it would be considered Serious Reading.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I was going to say, someone should tell the drummer that he isn’t going to get a very satisfying sound out of the other guy’s balls. Not enough reverberation, you see.

kittehserf - MOD

Could produce an interesting high-pitched screechy noise, though.

One of my very serious fears is that a publisher will take my war adventure and make it look like “women’s literature.” Like this. (Yes, that’s a WWII espionage novel, can’t you tell?)

kittehserf - MOD

And they even did that to a dude’s book (or someone writing with a dudeonym, anyway)!

lensman
lensman

@DrMcCoy

Again, thanks for clarifying. I switched to Debian three months ago, mainly because Ubuntu (and it’s light fork Lubuntu) decided to pull the “only newer laptops need apply” crap on its users, and kept giving me a “Memory Warning” message whenever I put the 14.04 installation CD.

In retrospect, the fact that the Monkey Scripts don’t work probably have more to do with my LXDE Debian distro, rather than the browser itself. Nevertheless, I am otherwise quite satisfied with my Debian’s performance and the Monkey Scripts aren’t really essential, so I am sticking with it.

Yeah, he’s a dude. But it’s a book about a lady spy, and therefore for women, and you’ve got to make that clear, amirite?

kittehserf - MOD

Ow, I just sprained my eyes rolling them too hard!

pallygirl

I gave up on covers a long time ago. I buy books based on synopsis and reviews. And if they won the Booker Prize. And if a favourite author is the writer (Atwood, Bryson, Reichs, for example).

kittehserf - MOD

I didn’t read the Discworld series for years, because I hated the Josh Kirby covers so much.

DrMcCoy

Butbutbut the Josh Kirby covers are glorious!

No, they’re not. And that was also why I didn’t read them for years. 😛

Neutral cover review: The book cover has pictures on the outside, but not in the inside. The cover is a drawing, in the style of a cartoon. The artwork includes colours. The name of the book and the author are printed on the front cover.

mildlymagnificent

I buy books based on synopsis and reviews.

Mrmagnificent has a trick, at least for fiction. Read the first page. If you don’t like that, don’t buy the book. You won’t miss very many books that you later regret having bypassed.

Fibinachi

I second that, and then I also add: “Then flip 80 pages” and read that – if you’re interested in seeing how people got from the intro to where you found yourself after flipping randomly, you’re holding a book you’d like to read.

Plus, a book that doesn’t annoy you 80 pages in.

sunnysombrera

If it’s about a spy then why is there a picture of a hugging couple on the cover? Did the publishers actually read the book?

Pocket Nerd

Thus Spake Zaramildlymagnificent:

Hmmmm. I read a lot of sci-fi. The fashion these days seems to be starting in media res and unpacking the backstory of your setting a piece at a time over the first half of the book… so a lot of otherwise excellent sci-fi novels are slow starters. For example, I’m currently reading Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie, which is excellent (it won a 2014 Hugo), but if I’d had to judge it on the first page, or even the first chapter, I’d probably be indifferent about it. I’m glad it works for Mrmagnificent, but I don’t think it would work for me. 🙂

(But yeah, go read Ancillary Justice. It’s gooood.)

mildlymagnificent

I suppose I should admit that he doesn’t read very much fiction. His test certainly works if someone’s offering to lend you a book. If they say it’s good/OK _and_ it passes the first page test then you’re probably going to be reasonably pleased with it.

Well, a couple does hug at one or two points. So, obviously, cover material. *is suddenly tempted to put romance-novel makeout pictures on the cover of every action/adventure/spy/war book in which a man ever kisses a woman*

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I blame it on James Bond. They’re trying to convince potential readers that every spy novel is The Spy Who Shagged Me.

Puddleglum

Interestingly, I found the first chapter in Ancillary Justice completely hooked me and I wasn’t expecting it (I picked up some of the Hugo nominees because of the whole Hugo debate this year). It’s a great novel.

Robert
Robert

I’m grateful that the library editions of Discworld I’ve found had relatively neutral* covers.

I did get a Discworld day at a time desk calendar as a gift ever so long ago, when I was still working. Don’t remember who the artist was, but it was bloody brilliant. Completely changed how I envisioned Vetinari and Vimes, to begin with.

*As in, not coloring how I imagined the story within.

Uff, that sucked.

Reminds me of the most recent cover of Ursula Le Guin’s The Dispossessed (that I saw on store shelves, anyway). I have a vintage paperback that’s slowly disintegrating, so I figured I’d better replace it with a fresh copy. My existing copy is great: Two planets, side by side, on the cover, which fairly evokes the content: one scientist, travelling between two different worlds. The version I saw looked all pastelly and romance-novelly, with a strong silent dude shuffling his toes in some sand. Bleah! I never did buy that fresh copy. Too tone-deaf. I’m making do with some clear packing tape on my old one instead.

thebewilderness

That is the same cover art as my hardbound copy had before it was shredded, bins.