crackpottery evil SJWs homophobia irony alert MRA reddit

This Men's Rights Redditor has figured out the source of Firefox's memory leaks

I am here to eat your memory.
I am here to eat your memory.

Oh, Firefox, I love your add-ons, but your memory leaks are killing me. And by “killing me” I mean “forcing me to restart you a lot more than I’d like to because of those damn memory leaks.”

Well guess what! One Men’s Rights Redditor has figured out the cause of these memory leaks, and all of Firefox’s other issues. It was Social Justice Warriors all along!

librtee_com 8 points 2 days ago   I can't help but wonder if the fact that Firefox still sucks..is still not very reliable..and still has memory leaks..is connected to the SJ madness that pushed out Eich?  People more concerned about 'social justice' bullshit that putting out a competently sound product. Par for the course.  Ditto GNOME. RIP. There's a silver lining, it caused me to try i3WM; since the day I installed it two+ years back I have never used anything else. It's so, so good and has no parallel in Windows or OSX.  The Linux kernel, however, seems to be safe from this madness, as long as the benevolent despot Torvalds maintains his well earned and popularly supported power.

Hmm. I’m pretty sure Brendan Eich ushered himself out the door because his support of Prop 8 had caused a virtual revolt in the Mozilla community. You know, the people without whom Firefox could not continue to exist as a viable piece of software. But whatever. Somehow Firefox would be magically bug-free if the dude the Mozilla community rejected had stuck around anyway because … Men’s Rights?

Fur dudes who like to think of themselves as master logicians these guys aren’t terribly logical a lot of the time.

H/T — r/againstmensrights

sunnysombrera

Sorry, I meant to quote them talking about the “perks of being a woman on the internet” and “in geek circles”. #notallgeekmen

C.S.Strowbridge
C.S.Strowbridge

“These can be deceptively complicated to track down…”

One of my first jobs on a programing project and I had to track down a memory leak. I thought I had figured it out right away, as there was a very likely suspect. However, the close command released the memory automatically, so it couldn’t be the problem. … Or to be more accurate, the manual said the close command was supposed to release the memory automatically. After three days of trying everything else, I went back and said, “Screw it. I’ll force it to release the memory manually and then close it.” And it worked.

davidknewton
davidknewton

I know – it doesn’t occur to them that that ‘special treatment’ is unrequested and often unwanted!

cassandrakitty

You know, if they’re sending women pics of their dangly bits under the impression that the women will consider that a perk, someone should probably have a quiet word with them about that.

sunnysombrera

Davidknewton: I’m guessing their argument is “well I’d love it if women objectified me and showed me unsolicited snaps of their genitals, so women must love it when it happens to them. What’s that? They don’t? Naaaaaah.”

weirwoodtreehugger

So, in order to get special perks like harassment and threats on the internet, I need to show my breasts? Um, I think I’ll pass. Thanks.

Also, doesn’t it occur to them that showing a pair of breasts doesn’t prove you aren’t a sock? You can just be showing pics/video of someone else?

sunnysombrera

Ninja’d! SJWs at it again!

@ WWTH

Good news! You don’t have to show your boobs to get harassment and threats on the internet. As long as angry dudes know that you have them that’s usually enough.

weirwoodtreehugger

True. I got an avatar for Gawker/Jezebel/Io9 commenting and it’s a picture of Sophie Turner (who plays Sansa on GoT) on the iron throne. I get called c*nt and told to calm down way more now. Even though the avatar isn’t a picture of me.

It’s a great picture though. Here it is in gif form.

Tanya Nguyen

Dear god, that little firefox/redpanda is a cute bugger!

I love the subtext here. “women are crappy programers, and are of course the cause of all bugs, and without women there would be no bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

DrMcCoy
DrMcCoy

@lensman: No, the problem with Firefox in Debian is not the code. Firefox is entirely FLOSS. But: the problem is the branding, i.e. the name and the logo.

You see, the logo, the red fox hugging the globe, is non-free; you are not allowed to modify it. And this goes against the DFSG, the Debian Free Software Guidelines. They dictate what the Debian project considers free software. And that includes that you are allowed to change to code, and all art and text resources.

So Debian then went along to and changed the logo. Mozilla said “but the logo is an important part of the Firefox branding”. To fix that, they also had to change to name. They chose Iceweasel, and added a logo that looks similar to the original Firefox logo, but with a weasel.

To recap: the only different between Iceweasel and plain Firefox is the name and the logo.

Yes, you can read the source and look for the memory leak. It’s not that easy though: it’s a darn huge codebase, and they have their own memory management. This, and the issues that addons also request memory and do things, makes it a quite complicated issues to debug.

cassandrakitty

Is this some sort of coding equivalent to the “then carry a gun” argument about what women should do if they don’t like being catcalled? I mean sure, if you’re a coder and want to help fix things and have time to do so then why not, but “go fix the bugs in Firefox” doesn’t seem like a very reasonable suggestion overall.

lensman
lensman

@DrMcCoy

Thanks for clarifying this. I thought that the reason that Debian had its own fork of Firefox was the recently introduced Sync Service. I am still inclined to think that there are a few changes in the code between Iceweasel and Firefox, since I can’t get my Monkey Scripts to work.

Pocket Nerd

Thus Spake Zaracassandrakitty:

It’s a coding equivalent to the “then make your OWN game!” gamergate argument. You’re right that it isn’t very helpful, but “Make your OWN game!” isn’t very helpful either, and isn’t meant to be. It’s just a trump card the gamergrotz like to throw around (even at women who do, indeed, make their own games).

cassandrakitty

Yeah, that’s how it read to me, which is why I was raising my eyebrows and going “really?”.

I’m guessing not everyone here saw the carry a gun if you don’t like being catcalled asshole I was referring to. If so, enjoy.

DrMcCoy
DrMcCoy

@lensman: No, that Iceweasel rebranding was years ago… *looks* Damn, 2006? Where the hell did the time go?

And yeah, like every distribution, Debian does include various patches to upstream. The patches currently applied (that would be for Firefox 33.1 from Debian experimental) are here: http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-mozilla/iceweasel.git/tree/debian/patches , the file “series” defines the order in which they are applied.

No idea if there’s anything that interferes with what you’re trying to do. I don’t really know much about how Firefox works under the hood.

If you can, maybe investigate and/or file a report to the Debian bugtracker? Yes, that will probably be a lot of work, sorry.

Pocket Nerd
Reply to  cassandrakitty

Ahhh, sorry. Didn’t mean to re-tread ground you already knew.

As to “THEN CARRY A GUN!”… yeah, I’m unfortunately familiar with that as well. Though I don’t want to get into the politics of who owns guns and why — because boy howdy, is that ever a can of worms — I wish Mr. Steve Santagati had considered for one second how the judicial system is likely react to a woman of color who “stands up for herself” by pointing a gun at a white man. Kiddies, this is what privilege looks like.

cassandrakitty

She had some epic WTF expressions during that discussion. The most interesting thing, though, other than the obvious fact that if a black woman tried that she’d probably get shot by the nearest cop, is the dude’s facial expression when he says the bit about the gun. He’s not actually suggesting that she carry a gun, what he’s really saying is “fuck you”, and look at the way the veins in his neck are bulging and his eyes are widened and his nostrils are flared. He’s absolutely furious that she’s daring to argue with him. That body language and those facial expressions? He could not be demonstrating more clearly that catcalling is about aggression, not attraction. His earlier attempts to brush off her points were meant to intimidate her into silence, and when that didn’t work he got really angry really fast.

davidgerard

It’s a coding equivalent to the “then make your OWN game!” gamergate argument.

Not with quite that undercurrent of malice. But yeah, there are geeks who honestly think everyone could code well enough to fix e.g. Firefox if they just tried. It’s more from Typical Mind Fallacy, a lack of perspective on what non-geeks are like.

davidknewton
davidknewton

I read CARRY A GUN’s expression a little differently, though no less favourably – I saw just an overwhelming condescension for anyone who doesn’t immediately think violence is so _obvious_ a solution.

@C.S.Strowbridge – Excellent 🙂 Always read the manual… but never trust it!

Robert
Robert

Of course, if he catcalled a woman and had a gun pulled on him, he’d no doubt consider himself ill-used.

Also, the discussion of actual CompSci here is far more interesting than anything the OP managed. Well done, everybody!

Pocket Nerd
Reply to  cassandrakitty

Thus Spake Zaracassandrakitty:

Holy cow, you’re right. I’d never noticed that, but you’re right — he’s visibly getting angry at these women for talking back to him on the issue. It’s even clearer if you watch the actual video — he’s actually chuckling to himself as Amanda Seales tells him that catcalling makes women uncomfortable, then the grin fades. He looks blank, then annoyed. He starts talking over them, and when they won’t shut up he becomes visibly angry. You can even see his face flush and the tendons in his neck stand out.

What other asshole thought this asshole would be an effective counterpoint? He might as well be yelling “SHUT UP, WHORE.” (Or maybe that was the whole point?)

cassandrakitty

I have to point out that you may not have been seeing the aggression because you’re not in the group it was directed towards, and you’ve probably never seen it aimed at you before in those circumstances. Women, otoh, tend to have a lot of experience in watching men go from vaguely condescending to postal when we disagree with them.

I’m glad he wasn’t in the same room as the other guest, because if he had been I’d almost guarantee he’d have tried to hit her.

cassandrakitty

Last comment @ davidnewton, btw.

Pocket Nerd

Thus Spake Zaracassandrakitty:

You’re probably right. This kind of thing is why I try to remember that sometimes the best thing I can do is not argue, not explain, but rather shut up and listen.

weirwoodtreehugger

Tangentially related; I hate all the “learn to code” arguments bootstrappers use whenever the discussion is on employment or low wages. Apparently, nobody who isn’t in a STEM field deserves to make a decent living. It also doesn’t occur to people that if everyone got degrees in STEM, that wouldn’t mean everyone would get a job in those fields. You’d just have a bunch of programmers and chemists working at Starbucks instead.

Pocket Nerd

Thus Spake Zaracassandrakitty:

Last comment @ davidnewton, btw.

… oh. Well, I didn’t see it at first either, and I still maintain “shut up and listen” is occasionally good advice to give myself. 🙂

Pocket Nerd

Thus Spake Zaraweirwoodtreehugger:

It’s also gorram terrible advice. The IT field is overcrowded and underpaid due to a combination of overseas outsourcing and every bright high school kid since 1998 being told to go into computer science. If you “learn to code” you’ll be a wet-behind-the-ears rookie competing in a field where people with freakin’ master’s degrees often get stuck with entry-level positions, and 10-30 hours of unpaid overtime per week are the rule, not the exception.

It’s better advice than “buy a lottery ticket,” but only just.

weirwoodtreehugger

I can’t help but be cynical and think CNN purposely selected a black woman to face off against a white man on this issue. Many of their viewers are old and white and probably dismissed her as an angry black woman. Because white male anger is always either read as justified or not read as anger at all but assertiveness and strength. But a black woman shutting down some bullshit is always going to be read as angry, savage, and irrational by people with racist and/or sexist tendencies.

grumpyoldnurse

QFT. I have absolutely nothing to add to this, as it sums everything up so very well. Just, QFFT.

Isn’t it weird how no one but white men (preferably read as cis and upper middle class) are ever allowed to be angry about anything?

cassandrakitty

Read by whom, though? Again, women tend to recognize anger as anger when it’s coming from men, no matter how white and/or rich they are, because our safety depends on being able to do so.

Bina
Bina

Wait till these morans hear that the first programmers were all women, and that the bugs were once literal — the first one was a moth that got zapped to death among the vacuum tubes and wires. They will flip their feckin’ lids!

Rob Christie

I should be angry about this, I guess, but it just makes me feel sad.

Sad that people this stupid haven’t managed to accidentally drown themselves with their own saliva, mostly.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

Well, if you look at the note posted up by Rear Admiral Grace Hopper…

The term ‘bug’ had been used for a while for problems and glitches in hardware, hence her joking comment about this being the ‘First actual case of bug being found’.

And yeah, that was in 1947. Admiral Hopper had a Ph.D. in mathematics from Yale and was an associate professor at Vassar College even before enlisting in the Navy in 1943.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer
Bina
Bina

Yup, that’s the one that comes to mind. The previous ones probably weren’t found because they’d all fried up to a frizzle before anyone went looking.

Off-topic but related to computers: Here is a conversation I just had that made me want to flip tables.

Person 1: My world crumbled around my feet this morning. I found out that the demon that haunted my computer also haunts my flash drive (where I store 8 years of my life). I lost everything. Fortunately I had given my historical fictions to friends, so I have recovered them. I also have the edited version of my leprechauns, so I can fix them. But every query, synopsis, current WIP, partially written sequels are all gone.

Person 2: I do remember when I lost a copy of a book I was working on in 2006 during the time of those horrid Trojan viruses. Had the computer brought to the Geek Squad, who asked my family if they were interested in saving all their data. It was an option, but my family didn’t want to pay extra in saving data. Only mentioning my story because I think there is a possible solution.

Me: Whoa whoa, stay away from Geek Squad unless you want personal stuff stolen off your computer.

Person 3: Who the heck leaves nude photos on their main hard drive? I wouldn’t even leave client photos on my comp, nude or not, that weren’t okay-ed for posting on my own website(s).

ChrisH
ChrisH

I’m sure you already have a post on this in the works, but I’d be remiss if I didn’t hedge and tell you about the Gamer Gaters trying to make an ‘even handed’ wikipedia page for themselves. The results are as expected

davidgerard

Yeah, GG’s completely failed to endear themselves to Wikipedia or Jimmy Wales. The Wikipedia article is immaculately cited in painstaking detail, and yet makes the RationalWiki article seem calm.

vaiyt

You can’t parody this shit.

kittehserf - MOD

Safe for work, my ass. Those shoes are really inappropriate if she’s going to be mucking out the henhouse.

Let’s hear it for Havana, though. I think the bronze of a nude woman riding a domestic animal that’s closest to me right now is a Europa-and-the-bull fountain on the UT Knoxville campus.

I mean, I tried to get one closer but a) Beloved refused to spray-paint herself in a closed bedroom and b) the cats were contemptuous.

I think Falconer just won the thread.

Kim
Kim

Semi-related in that it is people who think they are rational completely misunderstanding feminism and SJ. Just another example proving Lewis’s Law

The story that showed up on my facebook feed

“This is why so many people roll their eyes when feminism is mentioned. Maybe pick your battles a little better if you want people to take you seriously.” – Todd Hollenbeck

Me: I, in fact, do care that you landed a spacecraft on a comet. Holy shit, man, that was AMAZING!

Wow, I didn’t realise there was a limit on the number of conversations that could exist at the same time. We better start rationing our time!

Followed by this head-in-arse comment

Again, it’s all so ridiculously infantilizing. If you’re a woman who turns into a puddle of mush at the mere sight of someone wearing a novelty shirt, as far as I’m concerned, you’re really just demonstrating that you don’t have what it takes to be an adult or be taken seriously.

Especially in extremely technical environments, what people care about is results. You can do the job or you can’t.

What kind of shirt you wear might be cause for some HR person to tell you you’re in violation of the dresscode or whatever, but it sure as hell doesn’t harm anyone and anyone who thinks women are harmed by the sight of a shirt is really just saying that women are emotionally weak and must be protected from any possible offense lest they cry and give up on their dreams of becoming awesome rocket scientists.

If someone else’s shirt prevents you from doing your job, you shouldn’t have that job.

Women aren’t “turning to mush” they are correctly reading the room and then talking about it in a rational manner. But way to strawman that dude, and prove exactly the point that they were making.

I don’t normally get crap like this cluttering up my feed so I thought I would share the pain. No idea if the post is public…

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

I guess they wanted to make sure no one would confuse them for a decent human being.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Hey dipshits, you know why the shirt is a big deal? Because even at event that has nothing to do with gender, even at a conference about one of the biggest accomplishments of human history, someone STILL managed to fuck it up and add to the push women feel away from science.

It’s like if Neil Armstrong stepped out on the moon, and one of the first words out of his mouth was the n-word, or if Barack Obama, when he was first sworn in, started off his speech with a rant about the Jews.

You just ruined your finely crafted and revolutionary meal with a teaspoon of shit. No, the meal itself wasn’t worthless as a result, but yes, we’re going to complain.

Kim
Kim

Thing is, even it wasn’t a big deal Why is it so important to them that no one talks about it?? They want to dictate what other people talk about, and make sure they’re not saying anything that makes them uncomfortable.

Also, it would not be a big deal if the guy/the other people involved in the project would just say “The shirt was inappropriate, sorry.”

It becomes a big deal when the response is to be defensive and shut the conversation down. Because then it immediately segues into “Why aren’t we allowed to talk about this? Why are you the arbiter of what is or isn’t relevant? Under what circumstances are we allowed to voice our concerns?”

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

… Even aside from everything else, why in the holy flying fuck did he think that shirt was even remotely appropriate for a literal rocket scientist to wear during a professional televised interview? Has he never had a 9-to-5 job, or even a summer job when he was a kid? Aaand now I have a headache.

Bloody hell, my brother (who’s also a literal rocket scientist and as much of a feminist as I am) is going to blow a fuse when he hears about this clusterfuck.

cassandrakitty

It just comes across as pathetic to have a shirt that’s covered in cartoon boobs and butts be the hill you choose to die on.

davidknewton
davidknewton

@cassandrakitty, I can definitely believe that… I’m just going on my first impressions on a GIF of it I saw, and haven’t watched the full video (and don’t really dare to).

Kim
Kim

But a woman designed it and she doesn’t know what the problem is! She’s a Cool Girl ™ not like these shrieking feminist harpies.