crackpottery evil SJWs homophobia irony alert MRA reddit

This Men's Rights Redditor has figured out the source of Firefox's memory leaks

I am here to eat your memory.
I am here to eat your memory.

Oh, Firefox, I love your add-ons, but your memory leaks are killing me. And by “killing me” I mean “forcing me to restart you a lot more than I’d like to because of those damn memory leaks.”

Well guess what! One Men’s Rights Redditor has figured out the cause of these memory leaks, and all of Firefox’s other issues. It was Social Justice Warriors all along!

librtee_com 8 points 2 days ago   I can't help but wonder if the fact that Firefox still sucks..is still not very reliable..and still has memory leaks..is connected to the SJ madness that pushed out Eich?  People more concerned about 'social justice' bullshit that putting out a competently sound product. Par for the course.  Ditto GNOME. RIP. There's a silver lining, it caused me to try i3WM; since the day I installed it two+ years back I have never used anything else. It's so, so good and has no parallel in Windows or OSX.  The Linux kernel, however, seems to be safe from this madness, as long as the benevolent despot Torvalds maintains his well earned and popularly supported power.

Hmm. I’m pretty sure Brendan Eich ushered himself out the door because his support of Prop 8 had caused a virtual revolt in the Mozilla community. You know, the people without whom Firefox could not continue to exist as a viable piece of software. But whatever. Somehow Firefox would be magically bug-free if the dude the Mozilla community rejected had stuck around anyway because … Men’s Rights?

Fur dudes who like to think of themselves as master logicians these guys aren’t terribly logical a lot of the time.

H/T — r/againstmensrights

Alpha von Carousel
Alpha von Carousel

My toaster stopped working. Connect the dots, sheeple. Connect. The. Dots.

Malitia
Malitia

So using GNOME (or Windows or Mac) would make me more of a misandrist? But I like my linux with KDE! But at least I also use FireFox. 😀 I need to do more misanering (did I write this right?), maybe I’ll get more scented candles. :3

ikanreed
ikanreed

God… you can just see the republican-of-the-future written all over this jerk. It’s that exact same “Everything would be perfect if you didn’t interfere with the natural order” line of thinking.

Armored Scrum Object
Armored Scrum Object

Eich has been involved with Netscape and Mozilla for a couple decades, most prominently as the creator and first implementer of JavaScript. He is probably responsible for more than his share of leaks being created in the first place. Not because he’s incompetent, but because resource leaks sort of come with the territory of writing a dynamic language runtime and plugging it into a document language that wasn’t designed to be programmable. This guy doesn’t want an Eich-led Mozilla, he wants Dillo or hv3 or something.

JQ
JQ

…because the CEO of Mozilla definitely does all their bug-fixing and error checking himself, right? I realize these are the same libertarian a-holes who argue that CEOs NEED to be paid ten thousand times as much as their employees because they do ten thousand times as much work, but still.

davidgerard

Eich had largely calmed things down inside Mozilla itself (because, apart from the bigotry, he was otherwise the ideal choice and everyone recognised that even if they were swallowing bile in the process). What got him was the end user revolt – charities in Australia publicly boycotting Firefox, OKCupid telling its users to boycott Firefox …

(Of course, it was frankly idiotic that neither he nor the board realised that his public bigotry would be the story, the whole story and the entirety of the story … because it had already made international news when the donation came out in 2012. And he could just about get away with it as a techie, but not as CEO.)

sunnysombrera

Alpha von Carousel, your username and your avatar combined are one of the best things I’ve seen on the Internet. xD

Rock on.

Alpha von Carousel
Alpha von Carousel

Thanks sunny, I lurk b/c I’m usually too lazy to log in.

sunnysombrera

So it’s SJWs that are causing my phone to turn itself off occasionally, my home wifi to disconnect at times, and my laptop screen to have a giant crack in it that looks like someone stepped on it.

Damn you all!

mildlymagnificent

Oh wow. Ta sunnysombrera, I hadn’t really looked as I scrolled down.

Alpha von carousel — that avatar/nym combo is a thing of beauty.

sunnysombrera

Exactly. Stop lurking and comment more! 🙂

Alex

So…is that also how I got some sort of ad virus or something on Firefox and Safari, but not on Chrome?

c-dizzle
c-dizzle

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

@ sunnysombrera – Yes! Because SJW totally want all communication to grind to a standstill so that we, er, I mean they, they can take over the world!!

Do you not see the utterly perfect plot here? Connect teh dots, Sheeple!!eleventy!!

(I also think that Alpha von Carousel should win one free internet for the best avatar/nym combo evah!!)

leftwingfox

Well, if only Mozilla had hired the right man for the job, instead of a diversity hire, they would have fixed this.

You know, because the CEO is personally responsible for programming, and only a straight white cis man can be the best choice.

Bina
Bina

I’m pissed because Firefox is no longer supporting my trusty ol’ G4 PowerBook. But that’s not the reason he’s gone.

Menz Rightz: Getting gay rights wrong since — uh, how long has Menz Rightz been a thing, again?

Sarah
Sarah

Ohhh you just remind me of this statue I saw in Havana where I realised that the red pill wisdom is quite universal!

(in case it doesn’t embed, don’t mind the link it’s pretty much sfw ^_^)

My interpretation was that, US blockade causing shortage of carousels, Cuban alpha-cock-riding ladies devised to replace them with forks to… uhm… propel?… or something.

Lids

Damn you SJWs! Were it not for your misandering the connection between my charger and motherboard would work and I wouldn’t have to buy a new laptop! I bet they’re to blame for the heating element in my oven breaking too! Misandry I tell you!

weirwoodtreehugger

Seconded!

weirwoodtreehugger

At this point there’s nothing bad that they won’t blame on “SJWs” is there? What’s next? An elaborate conspiracy theory about how the evil SJWs caused the earthquake leading to the Indian ocean tsunami of ’04. The power of our dread misandry caused the very earth to shake! We lead to destruction and doom everywhere we go!

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

This reminds me an awful lot of the Republican I once talked to who accused Obama of organising a vast conspiracy to make him miss an NFL match, because his wife accidentally TiVo’d over it with the State Of The Union address. I swear I’m not making this up.

Diane F. Martin

What the hell is a memory leak? When the biggest thing you have to complain about is the browser you choose to use, you might as well just call your life meaningless. -_-

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

@ WWTH – Ummmm… Yeah us, woop, woop?

@ M. the Social Justice Ranger – Must be nice to be the centre of all attention everywhere like that. I mean, I’m pretty sure Obama doesn’t even know that I exist, let alone what sporting events I enjoy.

Fnoicby
Fnoicby

Sarah, I have that same photo of that statue in Havana. My boyfriend and I stared at it for quite some time trying to understand what exactly it was all about. Cock carousel…of course!!!

Jono
Jono

I don’t get it. Firefox is open source anyway. So if they’re so concerned about memory leaks, why don’t they look at the code themselves to try and fix it.

BritterSweet

Ah, so the constant freezing and force quitting I’ve been going through recently isn’t just a problem with my computer.

It’s those damn Social Justice Warriors! Somehow.

opium4themasses

@Jono That’s misandry. Don’t you know that feminists are supposed to go out and fix those “What about the menz?” memory leaks? Not that they could because women and manginas, of course. Besides open source is just another scheme to trick the Glibertarians into contributing to the commons which are a tragedy. How dare you be discriminatory against their Objectiv(ly terrible)ism!

sunnysombrera

Jono: but from what I gather the “activism” part of Mens Rights Activism consists of demanding that others fix their problems for them and feeling oppressed when they don’t.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

When they talk of the Linux kernel being “safe”, are they talking about the thing with the 0xB16B00B5 constant that got baked into the kernel? Because that would be both hilarious and sad.

chaltab
chaltab

So Brendan Eich helped start the company and served as the chief technical office for years, but he was supposed to have done something as CEO that would have fixed a problem the browser has had as long as I’ve been using it (~ten years)? Also his quick dismissal as CEO didn’t even have anything to do with MRA nonsense, it was because he donated to the Proposition 8 fund. You know, something that discriminated against the rights of gay men as much as it did against gay women?

I’m beginning to think when these people say they’re fighting for reason and logic, they’re not so much lying as just having no fucking clue what reason and logic are.

Falconer

(in case it doesn’t embed, don’t mind the link it’s pretty much sfw ^_^)

Safe for work, my ass. Those shoes are really inappropriate if she’s going to be mucking out the henhouse.

Let’s hear it for Havana, though. I think the bronze of a nude woman riding a domestic animal that’s closest to me right now is a Europa-and-the-bull fountain on the UT Knoxville campus.

I mean, I tried to get one closer but a) Beloved refused to spray-paint herself in a closed bedroom and b) the cats were contemptuous.

Falconer

I could look up that statue on the Internets but I think if I learned anything about Cuba I’d be banished.

Randomavatar
Randomavatar

Browser Crashing: SJWs
Spilt coffee: SJWs
Less Games that I want: SJWs
More Games I don’t want: SJWs (Different but both VERY important points.)
Manly men not allowed to be manly: SJws
No Sun at night: SJWs
JFK Assassination: SJWs
Hilter: SJWs
Crime: SJWs
Income inequality: SJWs
Poverty: SJWs
Death itself: SJWs
Climate change: not real and totally a conspiracy by SJWs, if it is definately SJWs at work with the emissions from their latte foam.
The inevitable heat death of the universe: SJWs

davidgerard
Reply to  Randomavatar

By the way, the actual answer to the question is that the high memory usage is usually a bad interaction between Firefox and AdBlockPlus. https://blog.mozilla.org/nnethercote/2014/05/14/adblock-pluss-effect-on-firefoxs-memory-usage/ Note that in general, adblockers are going to use a lot of CPU and memory, as they check literally everything on the page and everything loaded by a script on the page.

Lea
Lea

I like to focus all my SJW powers on causing constipation. All of it. That’s all me. You’re welcome.
It’s alot of work, but…

Works what keeps us happy.

contrapangloss

Lea, those bowls:

HOW DO THEY NEVER RUN OUT! TARDIS BOWLS ARE A PLOT OF THE LAVENDER SJW MENACE! EVERYBODY PANIC! THEY WILL FORCE US TO EAT GRUEL NONSTOP FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

… I’m done. FOR NOW.

pallygirl
pallygirl

It’s not a memory leak, it’s the outcome of a bot network reminding women everywhere to go make their man a sammich.

CHECKMATE FEMINISTS!

littlekatze

Well, I’ll be damned! Them SJW!
Do you think if I wrote gendered slurs on all my post-its and stuck them onto the fridge, the light inside would turn back on?

Lea
Lea

contrapangloss ,
But, the bowls are are filled with mighty fine cereal flakes. You will love them.

LOVE THEM!
DO IT NOW!

Lea
Lea

Sorry, Raising Arizona is one of my favorite movies. H.I. and Ed remind me of a certain couple I know.

(It’s me and Hubby.)

Every now and then I erupt with a “I LOVE THEM SO MUCH, HI!” and get back, “I know ya do, honey.”

I’ve also taught kids (including my whole G.S. troop) the buddy system for years by telling them “You never leave a man behind!”

b.tom.darga
b.tom.darga

I think he’s right.

After all, it was feminism that made you all forget that WE hunted the mammoth.

lensman
lensman

@Jono

Uhm… No… Firefox is not entirely open source. It uses some closed-source technologies that can’t show up in the code, something which is a source of controversy among the OS community. I know this because I am using Debian Linux which pre-installs Iceweasel, an entirely Open Source fork of Firefox, for this very reason. I have to say I prefer Iceweasel to Firefox; almost all the plugins work perfectly so far (I can’t seem to be able to run Seamonkey scripts, but Flashgot and DownThemAll work great) and it’s much more fast and stable. It’s the best of both worlds!

That being said, I prefer using Midori to either of them. It’s much faster, requires way fewer resources, supports HTML 5, and can even play YouTube videos perfectly on my 10YO laptop!

On a somewhat related note, the Mozilla Foundation recently came out against #Gamergate which pissed people like TheRalph.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Am I supposed to be negging my browser?

sunnysombrera

I need brain bleach immediately. I’ve been arguing on Facebook with idiots about Julien Blanc’s possible ban from the UK and I’ve just encountered a douche who has claimed in all seriousness that Julien’s harassment is the fault of the women he targets.

Alpha von Carousel
Alpha von Carousel

Aw shucks y’all. Old hands around here will realize that the reason I don’t post more is because my real-deal bro writes all the posts.

Also: tech guy here, the only non-open-source component of Firefox is the branding (name, icon, logo) which I believe are trademarked. The code itself is all open-source.

sunnysombrera

Buttercup: don’t forget to shove its head into your crotch while shouting “Pikachu!”

davidknewton
davidknewton

Answering the question about memory leaks above – when an application needs to store anything in the computer’s memory (say, the contents of a Firefox tab), it needs to first tell the operating system that it’s going to use that memory, so that the OS can set it aside for that application’s use. When you no longer need that thing in memory, the application is meant to signal to the OS to release the memory that it had set aside. But if you don’t eventually release everything you set aside, you end up taking up more and more memory over time with those unused leftover bits you’re holding on to. These can be deceptively complicated to track down, and I personally have never been good at it and use languages that handle it automatically – you’re the computer! Work it out for yourself.

Anyway. This also appeared on my Twitter feed today – they want you to know that a certain choice phrase is actually about gender equality.

C.S.Strowbridge
C.S.Strowbridge

Here I thought the high memory usage by Firefox was due to the fact that I usually have three or four windows open for work, each with over a dozen tabs, including several videos on YouTube (I have to watch my hockey highlights somewhere).

Pocket Nerd
Pocket Nerd

Firefox NEVER had any notable bugs or memory leaks when Brendan Eich was still at Mozilla. HOW LONG WILL WE ALLOW THIS POLITICALLY CORRECT MADNESS TO CONTINUE?! You can’t PROVE SJWs weren’t responsible for removing the Start menu from Windows 8. It’s entirely maybe almost slightly possible that the Heartbleed vulnerability was DELIBERATELY INTRODUCED TO OPENSSL as a feminist weapon by the developers, some of whom are ADMITTED women or woman-sympathizers. Also, note the rise of stronger gaming support for Linux (including Steam, yay!) coincides with the rise of the Men’s Rights Movement. WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!!

sunnysombrera

Davidknewton: “perks of being a woman in geek circles.”

What the fucking fuck?!?!?!

1 2 3 4