#gamergate 8chan drama kings

It’s Veterans Day, #GamerGaters. Lay off the military imagery and remember those who fought in real wars

Veterans-Day-2014-Images-2

Today is Veterans Day in the US, a day to honor those who’ve served in the armed services. That is, real soldiers, who have fought in real wars.

As one person with a silly name but a good point wrote on Reddit:

There are many examples of military-themed calls to action and propagandizing in [Kotaku in Action, the main GamerGate subreddit] used to rally their users into a virtual “battle” against ideas that they don’t agree with. …

Today, take a step back and remember that very real people fought in very real battles and answered very real calls to action for their country. Today should serve as a sobering reminder of not only those who served, but also how ridiculous [GamerGaters] sound when they pretend that this is some type of war they are nobly fighting for when there are those who actually serve bravely for their country.

GamerGaters love comparing themselves to soldiers fighting a war against, well, whatever it is they think they’re fighting a war against.

Their propaganda, much of which is made for internal consumption, is drenched in military imagery — some taken from video games, some from real life and real military propaganda. The ridiculously bombastic GamerGate video I posted here yesterday mixed game imagery with documentary footage from World War II.

It’s true that most of this military-themed GamerGate propaganda is intended, at least in part, as a joke. (At least I hope this Starship Troopers reference is meant ironically.)

But it’s also clear that a lot of GamerGaters take these “joke” memes and over-the-top rhetoric a lot more seriously than it deserves to be taken. They really think they are fighting some sort of noble battle for truth and righteousness.

Today, GamerGaters, try to have a tiny bit of perspective. You’re not fighting Hitler. You’re not breaking down the Berlin Wall. You’re not fighting for the future of civilization against the barbarian hordes.

What you’re doing is harassing women (and some men) and sending emails designed to punish online publications for daring to criticize you. It’s not a war. Hell, it’s barely even activism. It’s closer to a collective tantrum — though unfortunately, one that’s doing real harm in the real world.

When you compare what you’re doing to real war, you’re insulting those who fought in real wars.

Below, I’ve pasted in a bunch of #GamerGate graphics, found on 8chan and on Twitter. There are countless more just like these out there. And they are an embarrassment.

(Leigh Alexander, Anita Sarkeesian, Feminist Frequency collaborator Jonathan McIntosh)

Cthulhu's Intern

Oh, I can find PLENTY of issues of corruption in games journalism and games that gators don’t go after. Like how about the one PR guy (who got fired, I believe) who implicitly stated that he’d have a review blacklist after Duke Nukem Forever got bad reviews a few years ago? Or how about Medal of Honor, I believe, advertising the actual guns in-game? You know, the game that’s about shooting people. Hell, where’s the NRA there? They’re claiming that games cause violence and then there’s a game stating “Hey, you can have these cool guns you use to shoot guys in-game in REAL LIFE!”

Oh, and if we’re Orks, I was wondering: is this the Gun of Misandry: http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/251/1/e/dakka_lad_by_lgliang-d2ya40k.jpg

Dodom
Dodom

@Intern: This has to be, this picture is too hilarious for it not to be!

kittehserf - MOD

It’d be especially misandrous if it fired tampons instead of bullets.

tesformes

@thepestoa

First of all, PTSD is not just a disease for soldiers, and you do not have to be in combat to get it. All kinds of traumatic experiences can trigger it. 25% of children entering the foster care system have it, for example. 31% of rape victims develop it. 25% of people who are victims of crime in general develop it.

Secondly, the woman you are speaking about got much more than Twitter mean messages on Twitter. She had her home address publicized, and received large amount of hate mail and death threats . Her home and cell numbers were also found, and she received threatening phone calls as well. This is a woman who made her living as a writer online. She did not have the option of shutting down her all of her accounts and ignoring phone calls. This harassment continued for a year, and then started up again with a vengance when she had the courage to talk about her story and the fact that she had been diagnosed by a doctor with PTSD.

This is not the case of an “SJW” complaining about pretend mental problems. This is a professional writer who was targeted for a sustained harassment campaign as a result of her fair opinions, and was courageous enough to keep writing and defy her tormentors, despite the toll its taken on her mental health.

Kakanian
Kakanian

MissyL, I’m glad to hear that you’re back in one piece and doing better things.

And comparing a review page hurting fee-fees to an event that put an end to a permanent state of crisis and the dictatorships that covered most of Europe after the war? That’s an asshole thing to do indeed.

Michael Lindsay

The Imperium are space Nazis, so it’s a perfect fit.

Same with Starship Troopers really, it’s spooky that some people see an over the top pisstake of fascism and think “gee, that sounds neat!”

Loon of Nature (@LoonOfNature)

@MissyL

I’m glad you’re home and doing better things

…now if only we could have a conversation with America about everything that led to this point

GG has been churning out the military propaganda for a while now, it never occurred to me how actual soldiers might feel about this crap outside of their few chosen e-celebrities. (RogueStar, didn’t know about Commissar)

Jay Elmore

GamerGate: Proving Jack Thompson Right Since 2014

Lordcrowstaff
Lordcrowstaff

So they’re identifying themselves with Warhammer 40k, where humanity is a fascist, incredibly close.minded dictatorial regime ready to burn you for the slightest deviation from what they hold as true? Welp, the irony is almost painful.

ikanreed
ikanreed

@Jay Elmore

It’s sad, but I think there’s some legitimate credence to your claim. I don’t like the ultra-deterministic view that a simple stimulus like video games will yield simple responses like increased violence.

But looking at the way gamergate people react to media, they seem to feel that it overtly tells them what to do and that they have no choice to obey. It’s only natural to conclude that a mindset like that existing could entirely explain scientifically observed statistical differences in aggression levels after playing games.

It’s a stretch though.

btomdarga
btomdarga

@tesforms – ” 25% of children entering the foster care system have it, for example. 31% of rape victims develop it. 25% of people who are victims of crime in general develop it.”

Those are some hard numbers and the “crime in general” one seems ridiculously high to me. Got a source for those numbers?

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Thanks for the perspective but I can assure you that many of us are real veterans and know what it’s like to be in the real military…not to lessen your argument or anything.

Then that makes the disrespect, immaturity, and lack of perspective all the more disturbing. Good to know.

tinyorc

@Jay Elmore
Yeah, I mean, while I think Jack Thompson is a despicable fearmonger, GG’s grasp of the difference between games and reality is disturbingly loose. Also, they seem to engage with media more broadly in an incredibly literal way – which is why so many of them interpreted the spate of “gamers are dead” articles as a coordinated attack on their identity, instead of a rash of think pieces. That, plus the overblown military rhetoric, the operations and codenames, the constant talk of “winning” as though their “movement” is a particularly hard level they want to beat…

To quote Anita Sarkeesian Voldemort You-Know-Who:

Paradoxically and somewhat ironically, those who most strongly believe that media is just harmless entertainment are also the ones most likely to uncritically internalize harmful media messages.

In short, the more you think you cannot be affected, the more likely you are to be affected.

Orion

The Imperium also doesn’t actually have a real command structure or any social cohesion. It’s just a bunch of loose cannons who can on agree on nothing except “actually, it’s about the emperor.” Somehow they manage to coordinate efforts just long enough to destroy some random planet for spurious reasons.

weirwoodtreehugger

That actually doesn’t surprise me at all. I was the victim of a very minor crime and although I didn’t quite have PTSD, I was very freaked out.

I lived on a ground floor apartment facing the parking lot. Someone pulled up to my bedroom window, pried it open and threw a liquid that smelled like a combination of urine and chewing tobacco spit on my bed.

It turns out my neighbor was set to testify in court after witnessing some gang related crime. My neighbors and I came to the conclusion that they were trying to intimidate her and got the wrong apartment. She lived in the apartment next to mine.

I had 10 months left on my lease and I was freaked out for that whole time. I never felt safe in my bed and often slept on the pullout couch instead. When I was in my bed I often had nightmares that they had come back. I was really afraid that they would break in and hurt my cat while I was away. I’ll probably never live on the ground floor again unless there’s a fence around that side of the building.

If I could be that effected by something that didn’t result in me being hurt and the only property I lost was my sheet, I don’t have any trouble believing that someone who was mugged, in a hold up, or got hit could have PTSD from it.

hellkell
hellkell

The other infuriating aspect of troll’s PTSD comment is that shell shock wasn’t recognised as a psychological condition in a number of wars.

QFT. My father has PTSD from Vietnam that the VA is only now (50 years later, better late than never I guess) starting to take an interest in.

Growing up with a parent with PTSD is fucking hard. These little gamer snots really need to back up off the war metaphors.

proxieme
proxieme

@btomdarga: http://bit.ly/1ucs57q

proxieme
proxieme

That was mostly me being kind of a jerk.

But if you follow some of the links, you’ll see that the cited stats at least seem within the realm of published study.

Ex:

To ascertain the prevalence of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and risk factors associated with it, we studied a random sample of 1007 young adults from a large health maintenance organization in the Detroit, Mich, area. The lifetime prevalence of exposure to traumatic events was 39.1%. The rate of PTSD in those who were exposed was 23.6%, yielding a lifetime prevalence in the sample of 9.2%. Persons with PTSD were at increased risk for other psychiatric disorders; PTSD had stronger associations with anxiety and affective disorders than with substance abuse or dependence. Risk factors for exposure to traumatic events included low education, male sex, early conduct problems, extraversion, and family history of psychiatric disorder or substance problems. Risk factors for PTSD following exposure included early separation from parents, neuroticism, preexisting anxiety or depression, and family history of anxiety. Life-style differences associated with differential exposure to situations that have a high risk for traumatic events and personal predispositions to the PTSD effects of traumatic events might be responsible for a substantial part of PTSD in this population.

Though, in fairness, the data (at least that which is publicly available) does seem all over the place, a glaring example being this range given by the National Child Traumatic Stress Network:

In a community sample of older adolescents, 14.5 percent of those who had experienced a serious trauma developed PTSD.
Giaconia, R., Reinherz, H., Silverman, A., Bilge, P., Frost, A. & Cohen, E. (1995) Traumas and posttraumatic stress disorder in a community population of older adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 34: 1369-1380.
A recent review of research on children exposed to specific traumas found wide ranges in rates of PTSD:
20 percent to 63 percent in survivors of child maltreatment
12 percent to 53 percent in the medically ill
5 percent to 95 percent in disaster survivors

But this, more than anything else, may be an issue of a lack of definitive clarity regarding scope and terms across studies.

The tl;dr version of my little impromptu lunchtime research session is that PTSD is notably prevalent among those in the general population who have experienced both direct and indirect trauma. Higher rates of expression and greater severity among those expressing symptoms are associated with being the recipient of directed violence and with multiple traumatic exposures / occurences. Controlling for those factors, higher rates are also found among women and girls vs men and boys, though the exact mechanism(s) for this disparity are unclear.

Randomavatar
Randomavatar

Goddamn Tau Social Justice Fire-warriors…..

weirwoodtreehugger

Yet the diagnosis is only taken seriously when it’s given to mostly male veterans. I’m shocked. Shocked I tell you.

btomdarga
btomdarga

@proxieme

Oh yes, I am aware 😐

The most commonly cited figures in multiple of those sources are:

“The National Comorbidity Survey Report provided the following information about PTSD in the general adult population: The estimated lifetime prevalence of PTSD among adult Americans is 7.8%, with women (10.4%) twice as likely as m ts asmall portion of those who have experienced at least one traumatic event; 60.7% of men and 51.2% of women reported at least one traumatic event. ”

Separate searches for rape seem to indicate ~ 33% (which I didn’t really doubt) and even “over 21%” for kids in foster care, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the total for the crime isn’t very off either (depending on which crimes are included).

PS. There is more information here

btomdarga
btomdarga

ALSO:

God Damn It!

I still have Warhammer miniatures from 1987 – ie. older than most GamerGaters. When do I get to tell these little shits that I’m the REAL Warhammer fan, it’s MY HOBBY, NOT THEIRS, and to please get THEIR DUMBASS AGENDA OUT OF MY F-ING HOBBY???!!!!!

Sorry. Had a GamerGate moment there. Please excuse me.

Robert
Robert

That one poster with the tagline “Civil! Calm! Consistent!” is disturbing. Do they actually perceive what they’ve* been doing as any of those things? Do they have a deeper level of uncivil anger from which to draw, which they are virtuously refraining from drawing upon? Reels the mind.

*Of course, all of the threats of violence, slurs, doxxing and general vileness are perpetrated by No True Gaters.

Master of the Boot
Master of the Boot

It’s no surprise that these idiots emulate and idolise the characters of the Imperium of man. Growing up, most of us wanted to be Xena, Luke Skywalker or Batman. Maybe we wanted to be John Constantine or Wolverine if we were so inclined. That’s because a lot of us have a heart, and even in our power fantasies we want to be the good guy. In our fantasies we wanted to feel powerful.

These guys, they want to feel powerful at the expense of others. It’s why they look up to fictional characters who shoot hapless footsoldiers in the back of the head and herd them into a literal meatgrinder. They can’t feel strong or imagine being strong without degrading or hurting someone else. They can’t enjoy their steak unless they know that someone else is going hungry.

I’ve talked to these people online and they literally cannot understand the concept of equality. They literally can’t picture a relationship that doesn’t involve domination. And all this ties in with their love of the Imperium of man.

Me, I’m a Tau man myself. It’s all for the greater good

nolan

Robert, unfortunately the individual responsible for that image may indeed be championing for civil discourse. However it hurts the narative to accept that Gamergate is composed of different individuals with diffirent opinions and different actions. You are stereotyping, assuming that the presence of a twitter hashtag is all you need to know about the individual and their causes.

proxieme
proxieme

@btomdarga: >_>

proxieme
proxieme

(>’-‘)> <('-'<) ^(' – ')^ <('-'’-‘)> <('-'<) ^(' – ')^ <('-'<) ^(' – ')^ <('-'<) <('-'<) ^(' – ')^ <('-'<) <('-'<) ^(' – ')^ <('-'<) <('-'<) ^(' – ')^ <('-'<) ^(' – ')^ <('-'<) ^(' – ')^ <('-'<) <('-'<) ^(' – ')^ <('-'<) ^(' – ')^ <('-'<) <('-'<) ^(' – ')^ <('-'<) <('-'<) ^(' – ')^ <('-'<) <('-'<) ^(' – ')^ <('-'<) ^(' – ')^ <('-'<) <('-'<) ^(' – ')^ <('-'<) <('-'<) ^(' – ')^ <('-'<) <('-'<) ^(' – ')^

weirwoodtreehugger

Well then, he should be telling that to his own side. They’re the ones who started misogynist hate campaigns against Zoe Quinn, Anita Sarkeesian and others. Don’t tell women and our allies that our response to gendered harassment should be niceness and civility. That’s so fucking offensive.

And not all KKK members are racist right? If you cast your lot with harassers, people are going to assume you side with them. If you care about ethics and integrity, act like it. Don’t use a title that has been tainted.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

@troll

Is a “Narative” like a narrative but based on observable and provable reality instead of assfax?

Seriously, when the guy who gets held up by your buddies as a beacon of “For ethics! Against harassment!” has furthered the lies about Zoe Quinn and her sex life, said that the death threats against Anita aren’t credible because she’s still alive, complained at length about “SJWs” and been accused of and caught out taking bribes and not declaring other monetary interests… Maaaybe the “Narative” has something to it.

Why are #Gaters so afraid to own their shit? Why do their half-assed non-denouncements always boil down to “Well I didn’t say that! #NOTALLGAMERGATERS” and not “Holy shit, X is an asshole, sorry everyone”? What ever happened to personal responsibility?

Robert
Robert

M – personal responsibility is a trap laid by villainous SJWs to hinder the work of the Wise and the Great. Every tweet that supports the Narative is a false flag; every cool, calm and collected rational account of unethical games journalism* is Twoo GG.

*Find them, collect them, trade ’em with your friends!

Randomavatar
Randomavatar

It wasn’t me it was him, we are a faceless mass that doesn’t bear collective responsibility but you had damn well better be sure to listen to our individual points!

Pocket Nerd

Thus Spake Zaraweirwoodtreehugger:

It’s also worth pointing out 8chan sees an occasional poster saying “Guys, I agree 100% with the need for better ethics in video game journalism… but can we cool it with the insults, threats, and harassment? That just dilutes our message and makes us look like assholes.” The poster is then quickly dogpiled bother others calling him a shill, mangina, homosexual, beta, et cetera, et cetera because FREEZE PEACH and damn it we’ll insult, threaten and harass women whenever and however we want.

The GG majority has spoken and they see the misogyny as a feature, not a bug.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

PTSD can come from stalking. When you’re getting telephoned or tweeted death threats from people who know where you live, that’s stalking. It’s not an effing PRANK at that point, mmmkay?Doxxing and harassment? No, it’s stalking, and worse, the persons stalking you are unknown. Meaning almost anyone you encounter could be your prospective killer, yes?

I have had agoraphobia and PTSD symptoms since 4. So…hypervigilance and agoraphobia is really exhausting, the nervous system isn’t designed to be run at that pitch for long periods. I know that really well.

I have not been stalked, though.
At that point you are receiving signals that someone out there ACTUALLY wants to kill you, it’s not just an illogical fear.
In this case, you don’t know who that person is, so everyone is suspect. If you take the threats too seriously, you become exhausted, if you do not take the threats seriously enough,you DIE. Or worse, get people you care about killed.
I can’t think of a situation much more likely to produce hypervigilance and phobias, or nervous exhaustion.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

AND ONE MORE THING!!!

Those little hemorrhoids don’t get to appropriate the fall of the Berlin Wall, ok? They may be too young to remember it. I’m not.

AbsintheDexterous

Oh, y’all are so damn adorable! You’re trying to figure out the right code words to say! Unfortunately, you belong to a movement that’s nothing but a shitstorm of petulant, entitled douchnozzles who can’t think themselves out of a fucking paper bag even if the directions were written right on it.

presence of a twitter hashtag

*WHOOP*WHOOP*WHOOP* New talking point sighting – set your decoders to A1B8 for instructions. In the event you hear this phrase, you are in the presence of a gamergater. Should you encounter this phrase, please use The Official Feminist High Council Rules and Guidelines for Arguing With Assholes on the Internet manual, Chapter 6, rule number 1752A.122.b. Thank you.

MissyL
MissyL

Thank you for your kind words, everyone. I did a lot of critical thinking during my last enlistment, and decided not to stay. Now I’m an anti-imperialist, anti-war activist. 🙂

Been lurking for quite a while. You’ll probably see more of me around these parts.

Kakanian
Kakanian

@nolan

Read their logs. The first two things the movement did was spamming 4chan and setting up a campaign to discredit and silence Zoe Quinn by republishing nude photos of her. And let’s not forget that the allegations leveled against her were insubstantial all along and have nothing to do with how corruption in the video game industry works on top of it. Devs don’t sleep with reviewers in exchange for good press, that’s a fact.

I’m not going to argue that there are probably a whole lot of people unaffiliated with GG harassing Zoe Quinn, but that the folks at GG clearly were in a hurry to join hands with those folks is an observable and documented fact.

Samuel Schmitt

Pocket Nerd: Most GGer who are for “more ethics in gaming journalism” are still OK that big games companies give money or free expensive products as bribery for journalists. What they don’t want is that people dare to think outside of the(ir) box when it comes to video games, whenever it is an indie game dev’ or a journalist. I mean, they never went to action when the Doritos-gate was on every major independant gaming website two years ago or when Ubisoft gave free samsung tablets to the journalist when promoting watch_dog or when Warned Bros was literally monitoring youtube reviews of Shadows of Mordor. Gamergate is a big, bloated bag of wind, hypocrisy and misogyny.

pallygirl
pallygirl

Hi MissyL, I hope life’s treating you well. Are you a kitty lover as well?

MissyL
MissyL

@pallygirl, my partner and I have both a huge dog and several cats. We love animals! That’s one of the things I appreciate about the comments here – all the kittars.

tkmtbadmin
tkmtbadmin

What’s really funny is that I’ve never advocated for or against gamergate, I didn’t even know what it was until a couple weeks ago. I just like up bring up the indisputable fact that no one entity owns a hashtag, see #McDStories if you need an example. I just like to comment on this crapfest because I prefer accuracy over sensationalism.

There is no GG headquarters coordinating the actions of everyone attempting to use that hashtag.

Oops I mispelled narrative in my first post.

pecunium

Don’t some sjw claim to get PTSD from twitter? Yeah we really know who trivializes veterans help someone said something mean on twitter now i have shell shock!

Thus showing you have zip for clue.

PTSD is related to traumatic events (hence the T in the name). It doesn’t require violence, it requires something which creates fear; and fear which cannot be resolved. Anonymous death threats, delivered in a credible way (and the nature of swarm attacks and doxxing makes this easy as fuck to make happen) is provably capable of causing PTSD.

That you mock it, one presumes because such the people affected are, “enemies” means you are making things worse, by pretending the actions of the sort of asshole who will sponsor, trivialise, excuse, and otherwise support such attacks says more about you than you probably wanted to reveal.

pecunium

re PTSD/Shell Shock/Battle Fatigue: One of the things which pissed the Brits off about the Australians is they refused to put their troops under direct authority of the Brits, who thus were unable to shoot an of them for desertion (Canada did so allow, and so the British went ahead and shot some of them, “pour encourager les autres). To the (slight) credit of Britain, they did, recently, pardon the victims of all the desertion courts martial from WW1, which doesn’t mean they weren’t killed.

Wellington (who was more than a little of a hard ass) said, “it’s not a question of if the soldier will run, but of when”, and then went on to say the question was what they did after. With care, understanding, etc. they could be returned to the line. In the entire peninsular campaign he had bare handful of executions for desertion (I think the only way in which a deserter was guaranteed to be shot was if taken “in arms” [i.e. actually fighting] for the other side; of which there were a couple of dozen who did so, and were caught).

Because combat is ungodly stressful. Having people actively trying to kill you sucks. It sucks more when it’s impersonal. That’s what made the artillery of ww1 so devastating (esp. to the Allies, who built shit trenches, on the theory that they were “temporary” and really good ones (such as the German’s built) would sap the offensive spirit of the troops), they were completely random, and there wasn’t even the sop to the psyche of shooting back; which is a comfort, even when you don’t really have a target (which is why fire discipline is so important, and so hard to train).

pecunium

re Armistice Day: I have (well had) a grandfather who fought in WW1, another who was in WW2. My dad was in the Marines from ’64-’68. One of my uncles was in the Army from ’66-70. I was in the Army from ’93-’09. All of us were shot at, at one time or another.

None of us was ever quite the same after.

Which isn’t a plea for sympathy. One (and no offense to anyone here) we didn’t (any of us) do it for anyone but ourselves. We each had our own reasons, and our own motives.

To quote a WW2 Bomber vet, “it was a million dollar experience you wouldn’t pay a nickel for”. That pretty much sums it up. I saw things both horrid and sublime. Did things both meaningful, and pointless. I can make a bed so tight a half-dollar will bounce. I can polish shoes to the point one can shave in them.

Both of those were useful training tools, and are completely needless skills to have acquired (the habits they instilled, those were the important part of the learning, but I digress).

Every year, as 11 Nov. rolls around I get sort of cranky. I try to march in the parade, because it’s good to be with other people who understand why I am cranky. I thik the last two stanzas of Wilfrd Owen’s Aplogia pro poemate meo* sums it up.

I, too, saw God through mud—
The mud that cracked on cheeks when wretches smiled.
War brought more glory to their eyes than blood,
And gave their laughs more glee than shakes a child.

Merry it was to laugh there—
Where death becomes absurd and life absurder.
For power was on us as we slashed bones bare
Not to feel sickness or remorse of murder.

I, too, have dropped off fear—
Behind the barrage, dead as my platoon,
And sailed my spirit surging, light and clear,
Past the entanglement where hopes lie strewn;

And witnessed exhultation—
Faces that used to curse me, scowl for scowl,
Shine and lift up with passion of oblation,
Seraphic for an hour, though they were foul.

I have made fellowships—
Untold of happy lovers in old song.
For love is not the binding of fair lips
With the soft silk of eyes that look and long.

By joy, whose ribbon slips,—
But wound with war’s hard wire whose stakes are strong;
Bound with the bandage of the arm that drips;
Knit in the welding of the rifle-thong.

I have perceived much beauty
In the hoarse oaths that kept our courage straight;
Heard music in the silentness of duty;
Found peace where shell-storms spouted reddest spate.

Nevertheless, except you share
With them in hell the sorrowful dark of hell,
Whose world is but a trembling of a flare
And heaven but a highway for a shell,

You shall not hear their mirth:
You shall not come to think them well content
By any jest of mine. These men are worth
Your tears: You are not worth their merriment.

*I have some reservations/disagreements with this analysis, but then there aren’t any of this poem I really think catch all of it, and this one does a pretty good job of setting it into the context of Owen’s life/work.

freemage

On the whole “PTSD from Twitter” thing: http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blogs/entry/a_statement_from_cfis_management_committee/

A short excerpt:

We, the management committee of CFI, believe it is appropriate to confirm that Ms. Hensley is suffering from PTSD. Among other reasons, both Ms. Hensley and CFI receive comments on a regular basis that assert or imply that Ms. Hensley’s statements that she has PTSD must be false. For example, just the other day, CFI received a communication stating “Your organization is terrible for having people on its staff that claim to have PTSD from Twitter!” Some communications on this issue, especially those directed to Ms. Hensley, have themselves been abusive and harassing.

This reaction is disappointing on a number of levels. As explained below, these communications are based on mischaracterizations, false assumptions, faulty reasoning, unscientific attitudes, or misunderstandings. (And, of course, the subset of these communications that are abusive are intolerable.)

pecunium

Nolan: However it hurts the narative to accept that Gamergate is composed of different individuals with diffirent opinions and different actions. You are stereotyping, assuming that the presence of a twitter hashtag is all you need to know about the individual and their causes.

Yanno… when someone joins the Klan, or the John Birch Society, or a Truther community, that tells me a lot about them.

If a group they belong to becomes such a place (e.g. the way the NRA changed from 1980 to the present) and they don’t leave, that tells me something too.

The ONLY thing a Gator can do which would leave some doubt from which to benefit, isn’t preaching civility, but actively; steadily, calling out incivility, and reporting abuses to relevant authorities.

Because the “movement” is hopelessly corrupt, and was from the get go.

MissyL
MissyL

@pecunium: I get cranky on November 11, too. This year I’m extra cranky because I’m trying to get care from the VA and it is (shock and surprise) failing me.

@Nolan: You lay down with dogs and now you want to whine about having fleas? ROFLMAO.

maistrechat

@blahlistic
I don’t know if you saw this, but elsewhere they have been posting pictures of MLK’s march on Washington. I guess the next thing is the photos from the ’68 Democratic convention.

tkmtbadmin
tkmtbadmin

Meh.

You keep calling it a movement, the only people that considered it a movement have long since departed. The only ones keeping this tag alive are the ones you disagree with and yourselves.

Specifically WeHuntedTheMammoth Constantly plasters GG response articles to the site when in reality GG is done, the stragglers are idiots that can be ignored because they won’t and it (GG) has lost all meaning.

However as we all know the moderator thinks I’m a misogynist and is dumping my replies so this conversation is essentially over for me. Dissent isn’t tollerated here, I understand.