#gamergate 8chan drama kings

It’s Veterans Day, #GamerGaters. Lay off the military imagery and remember those who fought in real wars

Veterans-Day-2014-Images-2

Today is Veterans Day in the US, a day to honor those who’ve served in the armed services. That is, real soldiers, who have fought in real wars.

As one person with a silly name but a good point wrote on Reddit:

There are many examples of military-themed calls to action and propagandizing in [Kotaku in Action, the main GamerGate subreddit] used to rally their users into a virtual “battle” against ideas that they don’t agree with. …

Today, take a step back and remember that very real people fought in very real battles and answered very real calls to action for their country. Today should serve as a sobering reminder of not only those who served, but also how ridiculous [GamerGaters] sound when they pretend that this is some type of war they are nobly fighting for when there are those who actually serve bravely for their country.

GamerGaters love comparing themselves to soldiers fighting a war against, well, whatever it is they think they’re fighting a war against.

Their propaganda, much of which is made for internal consumption, is drenched in military imagery — some taken from video games, some from real life and real military propaganda. The ridiculously bombastic GamerGate video I posted here yesterday mixed game imagery with documentary footage from World War II.

It’s true that most of this military-themed GamerGate propaganda is intended, at least in part, as a joke. (At least I hope this Starship Troopers reference is meant ironically.)

But it’s also clear that a lot of GamerGaters take these “joke” memes and over-the-top rhetoric a lot more seriously than it deserves to be taken. They really think they are fighting some sort of noble battle for truth and righteousness.

Today, GamerGaters, try to have a tiny bit of perspective. You’re not fighting Hitler. You’re not breaking down the Berlin Wall. You’re not fighting for the future of civilization against the barbarian hordes.

What you’re doing is harassing women (and some men) and sending emails designed to punish online publications for daring to criticize you. It’s not a war. Hell, it’s barely even activism. It’s closer to a collective tantrum — though unfortunately, one that’s doing real harm in the real world.

When you compare what you’re doing to real war, you’re insulting those who fought in real wars.

Below, I’ve pasted in a bunch of #GamerGate graphics, found on 8chan and on Twitter. There are countless more just like these out there. And they are an embarrassment.

(Leigh Alexander, Anita Sarkeesian, Feminist Frequency collaborator Jonathan McIntosh)

MissyL
MissyL

I guarantee you the majority of those whiny-ass crybabies couldn’t make it through basic, let alone the multiple enlistments I did. They can’t deal with criticisms of their hobbies; how the hell could they deal with active duty?

Signed,
A female veteran

P.S.
Please don’t thank me for my service. I didn’t protect anyone’s freedoms except those of corporate CEOs to exploit people and the planet. Just tell me you’re glad I’m home and done and doing better things.

jbgarner58

I hope they listen. I somehow don’t think they will though.

contrapangloss

MissyL:

Glad you’re home, and doing better things.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Holy crap on that last one… Censoring out the person’s face to insert themselves. That’s a whole new kind of low.

vaiyt

Gawker: because we couldn’t make it any clearer that we are the same assholes still angry that Violentacrez got outed.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

It’s like some sort of social experiment designed to see how little self-awareness people can have.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

Admitting that #GamerGate is a damaged hashtag? I love it when hints of possible future self-awareness somehow slip through the brainwashed idiocy.

Pocket Nerd
Pocket Nerd

The military imagery irks me, too. The gamergrotz want to appropriate the honor and nobility (such as they are) of serving in uniform, without ever getting off their own lazy, smug asses and putting in the effort. I don’t care how many times you died trying to save Princess Peach, you stupid asshole, it doesn’t compare to a single day of life as a fighting man or woman.

P.S. Missy, I’m glad you’re home safe, and doing better things.

freemage

Missy: I’m glad you’re home safe, and doing better things. And if you ever helped my niece while she was serving, thank you for the fact that she’s home safe and doing better things, too.

Those posters are… wow.

BluLanturn
BluLanturn

Note that the first image, indeed most of the images, aren’t even real militaries. Just fictional ones. In fact number one and number three are both art from Warhammer 40k’s fiction Imperium of Mankind. A decadent, xenophobic, bigoted, race-obsessed, myopic and casually genocidal theocracy that thinks nothing of sending its own citizens into literal meat grinders and worships a thing that’s not there anymore and probably never was. I hope the irony of associating with blood-drenched racists and race-purifiers isn’t lost on th- oh it absolutely was who am I kidding?

On the plus side, according to this we’re Tyranids or Orks! Orks are fucking rad as shit. Oooh, maybe we’re Necrons!

The Imperium are space Nazis, so it’s a perfect fit.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I’m waiting for them to claim that they have PTSD from all that dying during games and that therefore it’s extra super evil for people to call them out for being shitheads, honestly. It’s the next logical step for them to take after Operation Take Over Tumblr.

andiexist
andiexist

Please tell me they aren’t actually trying to appropriate Veteran’s Day with a million self-congratulations.

They are, aren’t they.

AltoFronto
AltoFronto

Yet more face-value media consumption and appropriation from these uncritical non-thinkers.

Does a time-out in which we all just leave the room and ignore their grotesque display of naughty behaviour work on a tantrum of this scale? Either way, I’m thoroughly bored of it, and ready for a glass of wine.

Missy: I’m glad you’re home safe, and doing better things.

shadethedruid

Tyranids > Orks! I mean, what else invades worlds (forums/subreddits/sites), consuming and converting all the biomass (innocent users/menz) to increase its own power before moving onto the next.

Sounds just like SJWs/feminists! /s

(Note: I may be biased, Tyranids are my favourite race of the 40k universe. I figured if you’re going to choose one species out of a setting where species is horrible, you might as well choose the cool biology Alien-esque one that eats everything).

Jay Elmore

You know how you effect change in the world? You work at it every day. You walk the walk, you talk the talk. You discuss the problem and you explore solutions. You try to get people on board by appealing to their sense of decency, of justice, or of outrage. You don’t run around crying about how mean everyone is being to you. You don’t waste your time on incomprehensible memes and overwrought YouTube videos and goofy anthems.

The problem is that the real force for corruption in games journalism aren’t the journalists and bloggers, it’s the AAA studios. Plaid Social wanted editorial approval over reviews of Shadows Over Mordor in exchange for getting a review copy; where are the boycotts, Gamergators? Ubisoft embargoed same-day reviews for Assassin’s Creed Unity; where are the stupid memes of Assassins shivving IGN and Kotaku for trying to get the word out?

This is a movement that is first and foremost concerned with making its members feel good about themselves. I mean, their list of demands (well, one of the lists, anyway) involves forcing Gawker to apologize for saying gamers are dead. WTF. As someone who would be interested in having a discussion about ethics in games journalism, I wouldn’t touch Gamergate with a 100-foot pole. Especially since their endgame appears to be to increase the very real corruption in games journalism.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

See, this is an actual issue with ethics in journalism. I cover a different kind of entertainment, and I’ve had PR flacks/artist’s management try to pull that crap. You know what you do when that happens? You say no. At which point they usually back off, if they realize that you mean it. If they don’t, then you still say no, and you blacklist them until they’re willing to follow normal review procedures. It’s not all that unusual for people to try to pull that shit, but for the media to allow them to get away with it? Yeah, that’s a problem that needs addressing.

schwadevivre

For the real heroes, the real poem by Laurence Binyon

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England’s foam

In comparison with real heroes Creepy gamer doodz deserve nothing but contempt.

Randomavatar
Randomavatar

I mean seriously, if your ultimate enemy is gawker and you’re as frothing as GG is, you have major fucking problems!

davidknewton
davidknewton

I encountered another one. Other tweets from his account indicate that he really is a US Army veteran, although one without much of a sense of perspective.

The pictures they put together, though… you look at them and think they surely must be made by anti-Gamergate people in order to make Gamergate look as completely artless as possible. This is what happens when you grow up with a sense of humour and creativity entirely based on taking someone else’s photo and then stapling some Impact typeface across it.

Mnemosyne
Mnemosyne

There was a story in one of the local newspapers today about Congresswoman Duckworth. Her helicopter was shot down in Iraq and resulted in the loss of both her legs. It’s kind of insulting to real veterans when GamerGate compares their collective temper tantrum to a real war. These people suffered for something meaningful.

Duckworth, being a Democrat, is probably considered to be an “SJW,” and she’s suffered more than these losers ever will. Gators will keep talking about themselves as if they single-handedly fought off the Nazis. Of course, these folks don’t care about real veterans…

Ellesar

In the UK we just had Remembrance Sunday. The last thing I was doing when I reflected upon the machineries of war and how it chews up and spits out young men (often from lower socio economic backgrounds), and how glad I am that my sons will never be a part of it, was thinking of of how gamergaters are fighting a war too!

As has been said before – those war analogies are an insult to those who have served, whether living or dead, and those who mourn the dead.

proxieme
proxieme

While this is about the latest challenge (taken up by the Supreme Court) to the ACA, it reminded me of GG/MRM/”Dark Enlightenment” bozos:

in that they all seem willing to define contexts, situations, and even facts by their own terms (whether through true belief or willful obtuseness, I don’t know).

re: the source: I found this through Zite, so I can’t speak for Grist itself.

proxieme
proxieme

@davidknewton: That is one of the weirder things I’ve ever seen.

Unimaginative

Jordan Owen said in one video that he thought people should be literally out in the streets protesting … Anita Sarkeesian.

Meantime, US Republican leaders have pretty much said they’re going to do an all-out campaign against net neutrality, which will actually affect gamers in a real, noticeable way and… crickets.

WatermelonSugar
WatermelonSugar

@Jay and Cassandrakitty–

Yes. That. All of that. How ethical is it to give good reviews for swag? Or, in some cases, reviews-as-paid-advertising? It seems to me that those questionable ethics should be examined, as journalistic hype can make or break a releasing game, and definitely pushes indies to the side in favor for the same old AAA franchise releases.

But people actually looking at the industry in a critically analytical way (you know, like the people asking that gaming be taken seriously as an art form wanted) is the actually issue because…uhhh…ethics!

As far as the posters go, the only sort of fighting this mess resembles to me is the kind that takes place on the battle field of the preschool playground.

Pavlov's House

Real-life paratrooper here. 27 jumps over the course of about two years back in the early 1990s. Easy peacetime service, but, hey, it’s still AIRBORNE, baby! Never play video games – have no interest. I like working out (Crossfit and hot yoga), reading military history and theology and philosophy as it relates to the concept of the Divine Feminine. What the F*** do I care about some video game? I suppose I could respect the technical aspects and artistry of a non-racist, non-misogynist video game if such exists(?). Just not my cup of tea right now. By the way, Misty, I add my well-wishes to those of the others’ as they’ve expressed them. You’re right about these gamer people probably not being able to make it through Basic.

chaltab
chaltab

Unless I’m more ignorant of internet history than I thought, ‘Social Justice Warrior’ was originally something coined to poke fun at people for whom attempts at social justice activism was less about actually achieving change and more about bludgeoning others in order to make themselves feel better: the corners of tumblr that produced memes like “Die cis scum!” or equate distaste for their personal fetishes with actual oppression (ie furries being ‘fursecuted’), or the attempt to rank privileges in a strict hierarchy that completely ignores intersectionality.

But of course, the antisocial injustice cowards latched onto that term and begin use it to dismiss anyone and everyone concerned about social justice. So when Anita Sarkeesian or Zoe Quinn speak out for social justice, even if the things they’re saying are completely reasonble and not-at-all radical, they’re lumped in as ‘SJWs’… The thing about language is it doesn’t just describe reality but also shapes our perceptions of it. And given the Gaters’ obvious lack of any understanding of nuance, irony, or subtlety if their memes and shit are anything to go by, the irony of “Social Justice Warrior” is completely lost on them. They’re so caught up in their own bullshit that they think Anita et al are actually Outsiders engaging in a war to…er… something? Take away their video game boobs or put gay characters in every game, or promote ‘non-games’ like Gone Home and Depression Quest in exchange for sexual favors, or whatever else they think is destroying their way of life over-inflated sense of self-importance.

In that light, their asinine militaristic rhetoric is just an extension of their terminal inability to think critically about any damned thing on the planet. If they can’t even be self-aware at a micro-level, they’re never going to manage it at the macro-level. It took Zoe Quinn actually pulling an ‘I’m in ur base’ moment for them to realize a public IRC channel was not the best way to plot their harassment.

Orion

The Imperium are space Nazis, so it’s a perfect fit.

Come now, Katz, you’re misleading the good folk by reporting only half the story. The Imperium is more than just a pack of space nazis; it’s also a pack of space bolsheviks. That’s fair & balanced evil. We extort, you survive.

Robert
Robert

Missy, I’m glad you’re back and doing better things. If I were still at the VA, I’d be happy to assist you however you needed – and happier still if you didn’t.

Bina
Bina

Thank you for your honesty. And I too am glad you’re home, and done, and doing better things.

Bogdan Cvetkovic

Critical thinking is a waste of time and turns you into a heretical cultural Marxist anti-American communist mangina radical feminist university shill Illuminati homosexual. The moar u know.

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

@ MissyL – I’m glad you’re home and done and doing better things. 🙂

Also, wasn’t it Smedley Butler who claimed he was shilling for Standard Oil? I’d say your disillusionment puts you in very good company, indeed!

Chikitiki67
Chikitiki67

Thanks for the perspective but I can assure you that many of us are real veterans and know what it’s like to be in the real military…not to lessen your argument or anything.

Bogdan Cvetkovic

Understanding nuance, irony, and subtelty requires one to think critically. In all reactionary groups that is unacceptable.

davidknewton
davidknewton

@Pavlov’s House, congratulations on your service! It’s rather sad, though, that Gamergate and company have clouded the perception of games so much that it’s difficult for people who aren’t into them to imagine that they can be non-violent and non… problematic (Portal, Braid, absolutely wonderful and imaginative stuff). I would like to think that while growing up I attempted to raise the profile of people who played games by both being a fan of them and being able to act like a normal human being, but the last three months have pretty much regressed the popular view of gamers entirely.

What did you do in 27 jumps in peacetime? Because I so want to imagine that it was coming down from the sky and delivering surprise cakes to people and so on.

thepestoa (@thepestoa)

Don’t some sjw claim to get PTSD from twitter? Yeah we really know who trivializes veterans help someone said something mean on twitter now i have shell shock!

Puddleglum

@thepestoa, the fact that you think death and rape threats are trivial and couldn’t possibly cause psycological trauma? Go step on all the lego. And may you trip, have one smack into your forehead long enough that it leaves an indent, and everyone asks you about it all day long.

kittehserf - MOD

Hey moron troll, does it occur to you that plenty of what you like to dismiss as SJWs are veterans? Or that people other than veterans go through horrific experiences that leave them with PTSD that can be easily triggered? Do you even know what PTSD is, let alone how it works? You’re a fucking idiot.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

Violent verbal and sexual harassment can’t cause PTSD? Huh, somebody should alert the American Psychiatric Association and the World Health Organisation, apparently Lord Assfax knows more than they do!

A Wolverine
A Wolverine

From what I understand, gawker and its affiliates have had /MORE/ page views per month since this shit-hurricane started.

If GG hates gawker so much why don’t they shut the hell up?

weirwoodtreehugger

Oh. A troll who thinks PTSD only applies to veterans. How original.

Bina
Bina

Fuck off, troll.

Manastu Utakata

I am not really big on the Veterans Day…or what is called Remembrance Day here (Canada). It’s getting a bit too jingoistic and romancing war for my liking. That is, heavy on the John Wayne and light on the John Lennon, IMO. One of the problems of being a pacifist, though I respect and understand why many wouldn’t agree with me on this point.
That said though, these GG’ers have no sense of shame or couth, do they? They’ll take anything and everything to use as an excuse to propagate their nonsense and delusions. It will be interesting to see what they do for Xmas, Thanksgiving (America) and even Black Friday. New Years may also be blast with these guys. And likely given the chance,.every religious and cultural holidays from around the world between then until their intolerance meters can’t take it anymore.
Of course, detractors would suggest my spiel is hyperbole. I would argue that too…until these GG’ers attempted to hijack V Day as noted for this article. So now I can’t put anything past them is this regards. So no, it’s not really.
I am probably preaching to the choir though. I’m just a bit shocked they would include a day that has absolutely nothing to do with their plight. /sigh

Puddleglum

For most Remembrance Days, we usually watch The Americanization of Emily, and discuss the problematic nature of war. This year, I kept thinking about all the civilians… anyway, just wanted to let Manastu U know zir not the only one.

Manastu Utakata

@thepestoa

What stupid ignorance. Do you even know what PTSD is?

Manastu Utakata

@Puddleglum
Thank you, I appreciate that!

pallygirl
pallygirl

The other infuriating aspect of troll’s PTSD comment is that shell shock wasn’t recognised as a psychological condition in a number of wars. There are accounts of combatants being shot as a result of courts martial for refusing to go back onto the front lines – because they “deserted”, who (I know we say we shouldn’t diagnose from history, but I believe these to be special cases) were apparently suffering from severe PTSD.

Links if people are interested:

Given the class background of men who were placed in infantry on the front lines, I would be unsurprised if the working classes were disproportionately represented in the court martial/executions statistics.

Shaun DarthBatman Day

Missy, glad you’re home and doing better things. Thank you for coming home safe wo you could do better things.

Troll, remove head from sphincter, and then go ask an adult to explain what PTSD is. Then please return cranium to lower intestine and recommence starving your brain of oxygen. Thanks!

1 2 3