all about the menz douchebaggery harassment irony alert mansplaining men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny patriarchy PUA rape culture rhymes with roosh sexual assault sexual exploitation sexual harassment

Can the Julien Blanc problem be solved with … more patriarchy? One misogynistic douchebag says yes.

Patriarchy: Also good for protection against hell lizards.
Patriarchy: Also good for protection against hell lizards.

One favorite tool in the misogynist’s toolkit is the old “if women want to be protected from violent men it proves they need patriarchy” argument. It’s a rather silly argument, but those making it tend to do so with enormous smugness, feeling that they’ve got the ultimate “gotcha” to use against feminists.

Cast in point: A post today on Roosh V’s reliably horrendous Return of Kings blog arguing that, as its title puts it, “#TakeDownJulienBlanc Shows Feminists Need The Patriarchy To Protect Them.” Never mind that the woman-led campaign against the abusive pickup artist seems to be doing pretty well already.

“Well feminists, I’ve been waiting for this a long time, and it’s finally come,” the ROK contributor who calls himself runsonmagic writes. “I’ve been waiting for the day you’d ask us to bring back patriarchy.”

He’s so obviously and so extravagantly pleased with himself here you could probably see his smug grin from space.

His “smoking gun?” A comment that #TakeDownJulienBlanc organizer Jenn Li made in a video about the campaign she started.

Describing the video in which Blanc told a room of tittering men that the best way to pick up women in Japan is by literally grabbing them while shouting “Pikachu,” she wonders aloud why women should be put in the position of having to defend themselves against being assaulted by socially stunted wannabe PUAs.

Or, as she puts it,

The responsibility shouldn’t be on the women. It should be on these nasty ass men.

That is, she thinks that the “nasty ass men” in Blanc’s audience giggling at his stories about assaulting women should have enough self-control to, you know, not grab women they don’t know and put them in headlocks because some creepy “dating” guru tells them it’s a good idea. That sounds pretty reasonable to me, as I suspect it does for most non-nasty-ass men.

But runsonmagic decides that what Li is really saying is that she

doesn’t want to fight her her own battles. She wants a men [sic] to protect her. And she isn’t alone. Many of the #TakeDownJulienBlanc tweets echo the same sentiment. Why aren’t men stopping men like this?

His conclusion: “Feminists Need Patriarchy To Save Them From Julien Blanc.”

Filling in the rest of runsonmagic’s post is a bit like playing connect the dots; you pretty much can tell what the picture is going to look like by just glancing at it.

He begins with an idealized vision of patriarchy in which men are the wise protectors of their women.

It used to be if a man was abusing or harassing women, the older men of that community would get together and teach the young man a lesson. Fathers in particular would teach their sons to be respectful of women. This system of men maintaining order was known as patriarchy. The word patriarch literally means rule by fathers.

Now, in the absence of patriarchy and male organizations, women only have ineffective government organizations, Twitter, and change.org petitions to turn to.

Huh. Men have access to all these things too. And the women, men and everyone else involved in #TakeDownJulienBlanc has been doing a pretty good job of making use of the tools that are open to all of us in democratic societies.

Apparently forgetting that he has been mocking feminist women for relying on men for protection, runsonmagic takes a few swipes at Li for talking about defending herself from assault with a taser.

Are you so frightened of men that you carry a weapon at all times? Or is this just a violent power fantasy you indulge in, in the absence of any real power? You live in Washington D.C. If you don’t feel safe walking the streets in the city with the most government of any place in the world, who can you turn to for protection?

Uh, possibly the police? The people we pay with our taxes to ostensibly “serve and protect” us from crime?

Yes, proud patriarch, most police officers are men. Is this proof that women need “patriarchy” to protect them? No more than the fact that most teachers are women means that men need matriarchy in order to be educated.

But to runsonmagic

#TakeDownJulienBlanc is a cry for help, a damsel in distress trope.

Oh lord, is runsonmagic a #GamerGater too?

I say this not to be mean, because I truly want each and every woman tweeting that to feel safe and secure, but because I believe what will make those women most secure is being surrounded by strong men, who’ve been raised by their fathers to behave honorably and justly. Patriarchy is what make women feel safe, which is why survey after survey says that conservative married women are the most happy and sexually satisfied demographic in America.

This is a favorite argument of patriarchy (and marriage)  fetishists, but it’s not that simple. The study often cited as proof that married women are safer than single women also notes that the safest demographic of all is … widows.

So instead of arguing that women who want to feel safe should run out and marry the first guy who seems interested, perhaps the marriage-promoters should be arguing that women should marry and then, er, somehow have their husbands die?

These dark speculations aside, study after study after study after study find that domestic violence rates tend to be highest amongst those with traditional – that is, patriarchal – values, as I pointed out in a previous post. Blanc’s own behavior towards women seems to be rooted, at least in part, by the notion that in some fundamental way their bodies belong to him to do with what he pleases. That’s a pretty patriarchal idea.

But runsonmagic has moved on, declaring (based on nothing but speculation) that Julien Blanc’s seemingly sociopathic behavior must be the fault of his mother, whom runsonmagic has simply decided was single. Noting Blanc’s evident delight that he was able to assault multiple Japanese women and get away scott-free, runsonmagic writes

“I didn’t know how much I could get away with,” is the voice of a child who was never taught boundaries. It is the voice of a child who never had a father to teach him right from wrong, or to give him meaningful challenges by which to discover the limits and abilities of his own powers. …

I have no doubt that Julien is relishing much of the controversy that surrounds him now. No one would give him attention when he was a fatherless young man who wanted girls to talk to him, and now he’s got his own hashtag. …

When I see Julien, I don’t see a monster. Julien is what men become when they are raised by only women, and told women’s attention is what defines their worth.

I tried to find evidence of Blanc’s alleged “fatherlessness,” but was only able to find evidence that there was a famous French “romancier” by the name of  Julien Blanc  who was fatherless. And apparently motherless, too, after the age of eight. They’re definitely not the same guy, as the older Blanc died in 1951. Presumably the current douchebag “romancier” calling himself Julien Blanc borrowed his name from the dead guy.

If feminists truly wanted to #TakeDownJulienBlanc and keep men like him from ever becoming a problem again, they would make sure their sons grew up with fathers who were present active parts of their life. They would give attention to men they respect, rather than only engaging men who choke them and call them “dog.” And they would encourage the men in their lives to band together and lead their communities.

Or they could, you know, organize on the internet to shut down Blanc’s venues and get him tossed out of the countries he tries to bring his toxic teachings – and behavior – to. So far, that’s been working.

acrannymint

freemage – I ended up with a new cat unexpectedly. I kept him isolated for about a week but I also put blankets or towels in there that I would swap out with blankets/towels my other cats would hang out on. When I finally let him out there was some angst but for the most part, it went well. The new kitty was just over 3 and the other 2 were 7 and 16 respectively. Here is a picture of Huckleberry

takshak
takshak

I just want runsonbullshit to cuddle a cactus

kittehserf - MOD

acrannymint – give Huckleberry an extra cuddle from me, please? He is so adorbs.

JM
JM

What does RoK mean by “Conservatively married”? I mean, I’m guessing it means monogamist, one man one woman, but many people would be in such a relationship (Myself included) and not consider anything about it conservative, with gender roles being fairly equal and mutually supportive. And I don’t think the “Equal sharing of domestic/parenting/supportive duties” is what they mean by conservative either.

acrannymint

kitteserf – he is a purr monkey and extremely talkative. He is very good with the oldest
cat but is kind of an asshole with the other one sometimes.

Kim
Kim

This is the coolest boy-and-his-dog duo I’ve ever seen

acrannymint

Kittesherf – sorry for screwing up the name and by the way love the whole guy fawkes look with the hair, mustache and beard.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Oh my dear paws and whiskers you did not mistake Louis for Guy Fawkes/nononono

kittehserf - MOD

acrannymint – no worries, I didn’t even see the typo till you mentioned it!

Thanks, too! The cool dude in the pic isn’t me, it’s Mr Kittehserf. He’s been sporting that look a very long time – he’s in Spirit and is a younger contemporary of Fawkes, actually. Funny thing is, Fawkes didn’t wear that style at all; it’s from later. He was a redhead with a full beard, if the only engravings are anything to go by (part seventy million of “do not believe Hollywood about anything,” lol.)

kittehserf - MOD

thebewilderness, ROFL!

contrapangloss

Kittehs, of I ever meet Louis, may I please, please, pease call him Guy? Once? Or Fawkesy? (Hypothetically, if I ever wander into that corner of the other side, preferably after getting well into my old-geezer years)

Wait, better question: if I did so, would he laugh and find it hilarious, or would he find it really annoying? Because if it’s laughable, then I’d totally go for it and call him Fawkesy all the time.

If he’d hate it… I don’t like making people all sorts of uncomfy, so I’d rather not meet someone by annoying the living daylights out of them.

Teasing between friends, fun. Teasing until it’s no longer friendly, not cool.

weirwoodtreehugger

Some brain bleach for fans of Doctor Who and/or Peter Capaldi. He recorded this for a kid with autism grieving the death of his nanny. Squee!

Skye
Skye

So as far as the OP goes, maybe he shares the adjective describes a particular noun language problem a couple of trolls a week or two back had; the ones who kept conflating toxic masculinity with masculinity. This guy hears “these nasty ass men” are responsible for their crappy behavior and should stop it and translates this into “men should protect women from other men.”

Tl; dr: basically what reiko said.

Also, dirtbag Blanc is twenty-freaking-five, what he does is his responsibility, not his mom’s. (Guess OP had to cover the “always a woman to blame” bingo square). I’ve known good folks with lousy parents and lousy folks with good parents. Good parenting does not always perfectly equate to good children and vice versa.

kittehserf - MOD

ROFLMAO contrapangloss, Louis’s going to answer that one himself:

“But what shall you then call Monsieur Fawkes, should I introduce you?”

(No, he doesn’t know him, but you just know he’d tease you right back by doing that!)

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I’ve met some shitty parents, but none shitty in a specific enough way that they’d be proud that their son grew up to become internet famous for sexually harassing women while shouting the names of children’s TV shows at them.

sylviaplant

@weirwoodtreehugger

I’m a doctor who fan, although I have a lot of issues with Moffat as of late (ahem, the writing, oh lordy the writing) but I love Peter Capaldi. That video is really touching, I love it when actors use their characters to reach out to kids who could use a little cheering up.

acrannymint

I hear there is a bit of controversy over the Mistress. Haven’t watched the episode yet. I don’t know if it is the sex change or the fact there is a female time lord. If it is the former then get over it and if it is the latter – Romana I and II

kittehserf - MOD

I didn’t bother watching that ep, because Moffat’s godawful writing has killed my hopes for the series, and I wasn’t even slightly interested in finding out who Missy was. I doubt I’ll watch the series final, either, even with Cybermen.

acrannymint

Was doing a youtube steam of consciousness – basically listening to a tune and then looking at the related songs. It eventually got me to this – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRAr354usf8

acrannymint

A little bout of insomnia here – I think the line “women seem wicked if you’re unwanted” kind of sums up the MRA/PUA/MGTOW movements.

jo
jo

So you’re a damsel in distress if you’re trying to do something about a problem? What?
That female protester who punched a PUA was she a damsel too?

truthaboutaeria

I just want to say that this is the greatest website in the history of the internet and I will definitely donate as soon as possible!

Twisted Inspiration

Well, it’s her own fault for doing something that actually involves other people (instead of just, don’t know, playing games or something like that). Because, everyone knows that the only people who count are men, right? (I really hope that I don’t need an irony tag for that… Should be obvious.)

littlekatze

Sooo….what you’re saying is, instead of having the dude deported, Li should have called his daddy to give him a stern talking to? Yeah, I bet that would have worked
Instead of marrying for protection, I suggest mandatory robot chaperones for all menz, to keep them in line and all. Ya know, since self control apparently doesn’t exist…

True Men Stories: I think I’ve also seen covers in which a burly man fights nazis.

Doctor Who: I think I’ll wait until Moffat leaves. I love this show but that writing…I’m not even mad about the sex change thing, I’m mad because Moffat is doing it and he absolutely blows at writing women.

Lea
Lea

Same here.

As in most of the man-o-sphere’s claims, this one is a steaming pile of manure.

Telling awful people to stop being awful is not asking for their protection, either.

Lea
Lea

That video just cemented my cat daddy crush on Capaldi.

Nthing the dislike of Moffet. Bring back Davis!

swankivy

LOL okay he mocks women for having a tazer because it’s some kind of power fantasy of hers, and yet “THEN CARRY A GUN!” is a rallying cry from that “MAN-ual” guy. They’ll bleat for years about how women are *biologically* weaker than men (yes, all of them, lol!), but then laugh at someone for carrying a weapon when she thinks she wouldn’t be able to fight off an attacker? Okay then. But these are the people who think it’s a compliment for a man to target a woman for sexual harassment, rape, or violence, so of course they’d process a woman carrying a weapon to protect against it as “a fantasy” we have–that we actually have something to protect. Gee, how ridiculous we are.

CJ
CJ

@swankivy

It seems like hypocrisy is pretty part and parcel for these people. Literally anything a woman does is seen as validating their worldview. This says a lot about how little sense that worldview makes, but these guys lack the self-awareness to realize that.

closetpuritan

Adding more anecdata to the pile: my husband spent most of his childhood raised by a single mother, and he’s nothing like this Julien Blanc douchebag. One of his mother’s boyfriends did try to say that he and his brother would turn gay without a male presence in the house; he’d probably fit right in with the Return of Kings crowd.

talacaris

The probably went like this: Nasty ass men, that’s us, nobody can be such nasty ass men like us. So she’s talking to us. Aha

Skye
Skye

Even if this made any sort of sense at all, why would her kids being gay be the worst thing that could happen to them. For my kids, I just want them to grow up to be decent people with empathy and compassion for others. I think having them turn out like these horrible dirtbags (PUAs, MRAs, abusers, etc) would be heartbreaking

Ellesar

This made me laugh (derisively):

“You live in Washington D.C. If you don’t feel safe walking the streets in the city with the most government of any place in the world, who can you turn to for protection?”

I really do not know why being the seat of government would make a city safer, and sure enough, the stats are terrible. The murder rate Washington DC is 13.9 (per 100,000, 2012 and has been falling consistently since 2007) – whereas the murder rate in Glasgow (the most violent city in the UK) is 2.7 (2013). (By the way Flint, Michigan wins the dubious accolade of having the highest murder rate in the US – 62, the overall rate for the US is 4.7)

I am not going to bother comparing all types of violent crime as I think that the results would continue to prove that actually Washington DC is a very violent place and any sensible person would be wise to be wary!

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

It is the voice of a child who never had a father to teach him right from wrong

Gee, I didn’t know moral wisdom was exclusively available from fathers, and not from mothers, aunts, uncles, grandparents, teachers, coaches, clergy, mentors, friends, enemies, cats, dogs, books, art, movies, music, television, random strangers on the bus, billboards, coffee cups, runes, fortune cookies, magic 8 balls, Love Is…cartoons, and a million other places.

Is “Don’t steal” more meaningful when uttered by a testicle-haver?

Bina
Bina

Mothers are chopped liver, obviously.

There can be no other explanation for why THEIR teachings don’t count for shit.

Skye
Skye

Is “Don’t steal” more meaningful when uttered by a testicle-haver?

My completely unscientific opinion is that this is more manusphere projection. *They* only listen to what other het males have to say, so that must be true of everyone.

weirwoodtreehugger

The notion that kids need both a mother and father is the basis of the legal argument against gay marriage in the US. And it got shot the hell down when Prop 8 was being fought in CA. There’s not actually any evidence that kids do worse with two mothers or two fathers. There’s no special wisdom that only one gender is able to impart. At least not when it comes to morality. I do think discussing puberty and reproductive anatomy is more comfortable with an adult that’s the same gender as the kid. But that can be some other adult. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a parent.

Lordcrowstaff
Lordcrowstaff

Wow, that guy would make a fine 1930 Chicago mobster. “Yeah, so I’m not saying the Mafia could set your place on fire, but the Mafia COULD set your place on fire. The solution is simple: pay the mafia to protect yourself against the damage the Mafia causes!”

Ellesar

On the fatherless issue: I have raised 2 sons on my own. To my knowledge they are both hetero (don’t care) and are neither are terrified wimps or entitled creeps who give money to PUA ‘gurus’!

But… they are the offspring of a feminist, and they don’t hate me, so I guess they are a couple of manginas!

Bina
Bina

Give me a “mangina” over an asshole, anyday. I don’t care if he was raised by a single mother, two lesbian moms, or a herd of antelope, as long as he’s a decent person.

Robert
Robert

Our sons are being raised by two fathers. Hasn’t made ’em gay. One of the older one’s best friends is being raised by two mothers – amazingly, he’s not gay either. I was raised by a mother and father, and, well, Oscar Wilde only DREAMED of being as gay as me.

Huh. It’s almost as if that theory* is full of stuph.

*In the non-scientific sense of the word.

Skye
Skye

Oscar Wilde only DREAMED of being as gay as me.

LOL

Dvärghundspossen

In Sweden it used to be the case that single women weren’t allowed to be artificially inseminated if they wanted to have a kid. They needed either a husband, wife or a “sambo” (a word that doesn’t really have an English counterpart, but means a romantic partner whom you live with without being married to). So two mums were fine, but a single mum was considered no-no.
In Denmark, though, artificial insemination of single women have been legal for a long time, so single women who wanted a child would simply go to Denmark and have the procedure done there. “Trip to Denmark” even became an established euphemism… Like, my sister’s friend said a couple of years ago that she felt ready to be a mum now, and she was above thirty, and didn’t have a boyfriend, and so she’d begun considering “a trip to Denmark”.
Quite recently the law was changed though, so single women are now allowed to be inseminated.

kittehserf - MOD

Here we used to call them defactos – a de facto instead of de jure marriage, in fact but not in law.

Dvärghundspossen

“Defacto”, that’s nice. 🙂 Otherwise people usually suggest “partner” as a translation, but “partner” can mean many different things, like “business partner” for instance.

pallygirl
pallygirl

We use the same term in New Zealand. We also have civil unions, which aren’t marriages (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_union_in_New_Zealand) but NZ law does not now distinguish between couples who are unmarried and couples who are married/civil unioned.

The NZ Human Rights Act does not permit discrimination on the basis of family status or marital status, http://www.hrc.co.nz/enquiries-and-complaints-guide/what-can-i-complain-about/

andiexist
andiexist

@kittehserf

I… *may* have thought that your picture was of Jack Sparrow, who, in my defense, I have not seen a picture of in ages. Also, 19 year old kitty, wow! Must be a healthy kitty to have such a long-lasting body. Even the incorporeal kitties over here are only 13 or so. 🙂

kittehserf - MOD

LOL that’s cool, andiexist – Jack is very pretty, after all (apart from the stuff woven in the beard, ick).

Fribs actually has kidney disease, so I don’t know how much longer she’ll be with us – as long as she’s enjoying life and eating, I guess. Oldest cat we’ve had was Magnus the Mighty, who was with us to 22, but I don’t see Fribs beating that record. Most of ours make it to the mid teens, not the high end, though come to think of it they’re all past that age now across the veil.

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

Oscar Wilde only DREAMED of being as gay as me.

Oh, Robert! I hope you don’t mind my saying that your Mr. is a very lucky man!

ktrantingredhead

So we’re not allowed to use self-defense but if we call the cops we are asking for help from the patriarchy?

I love this fictional “back then” time. Yes, “back then” men actually respected women because women knew to stay in their place. And of course I know this because I was not alive then so naturally I’m an expert.

JQ
JQ

I love the idea these guys and a lot of their supporters have that somehow conditional threats are mitigated by the fact that if you DON’T do whatever it is they’re threatening you over, they WON’T do whatever they threatened to do to you. The BS narrative of men “respecting” well-behaved (in their eyes) women is just a very thin disguise for the sentiment that they won’t punish you for having agency, just as long as you never ever use it.