allegedly false accusations antifeminism consent is hard creepy dark enlightenment excusing abuse men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny PUA rape rape culture reactionary bullshit red pill rhymes with roosh sexual assault

Return of Kings writer dismisses rape allegations against Jian Ghomeshi and Bill Cosby because raping women is hard

Jian Ghomeshi
Jian Ghomeshi

It’s perhaps not altogether surprising that a writer at Return of Kings, a site run by someone who has openly admitted to raping a woman too drunk to consent, has come out in defense of Jian Ghomeshi, the Canadian radio personality recently fired from CBC in the wake of serious accusations of violent sexual assault from an ever-growing list of women.

For most of those who have been following the scandal, the fact that numerous women have come forward with strikingly similar stories of abuse at the hands of Ghomeshi only increases the credibility of the case against him.

Over on Return of Kings, however, writer Blair Naso dismisses this as “a common pattern with celebrities in unconfirmed sex scandals.” And then he sets forth one of the creepiest defenses against rape allegations I’ve ever heard:

One woman claims something and then several other groupies hop on the media whore train. People claim Bill Cosby raped 13 women, but do they have any idea how hard it is to rape just one? Thirteen is a large rape notch count. Even if it was all consensual, how would Cosby hide that much adultery from his wife? He isn’t a sex symbol like some politicians are.

Emphasis mine. Yes, that’s right, he actually wrote “thirteen is a large rape notch count.”

Mr. Nasi, you want to know how Cosby might have managed to get his “rape notch count” so high, even though he’s “not a sex symbol?” Well, you could always fucking read what the women making these accusations have said. (Hint: he allegedly drugged them first.) Generally speaking, it is probably a good idea to actually read the allegations against someone before dismissing them as nonsense.

If Ghomeshi, or Cosby, or any celebrity accused of rape were facing accusations from “only” one woman, the Return of Kings boys would no doubt dismiss her as some crazy, lying slut. But when the accusations seem to be corroborated by other similar stories from other women who have also been victimized, well, gosh, raping that many women would be “too hard” of a task for one man to pull off.

What the fuck.

Most of the commenters at ROK, meanwhile, think that even if  Ghomeshi is being railroaded he is still getting what he deserves — for being a “white knight” who previously gave lip service to the ideals of feminism.

No matter what side they’re taking in this controversy, in other words, the ROKers are doing it for the worst reasons possible.

vaiyt

The Manosphere pattern still holds: whatever makes women look bad.

jparsons42
jparsons42

Wait, Bill Cosby? What?! Gaaaaaah!

hippodameia8527
hippodameia8527

Speaking from experience, are they?

Viscaria
Viscaria

I’m astonished and disgusted that I have never heard the allegations against Cosby until reading this.

Ghomeshi, of course, I’ve heard all about. I’ve had an education in the past week about just how many of my friends prioritize good radio programming over the safety of women.

Fukuda
Fukuda

I… Wow… The article on The Star about Ghomeshi’s behavior was quite triggering, and I haven’t been triggered in a while.

Lea
Lea

“rape notch count”

Reading ROTKs is like peeling away at layer after layer of awful and the deeper you go, the uglier it gets.

kinginascendent

I’m not sure what’s more disappointing, that this is trolling or that they believe this worldview that women are all somehow in a conspiracy to undermine them.

Elektra Kenway

Another atrocity from ROK, like any other horror that comes from the sewer they have for a mouth and monstrous claws they have for hands.

What’s next? Is he going to suggest that everyone should feel sorry for the “poor” rapists? That it’s the victim’s duty to make it easier for them to rape?

How far are those disgusting people willing to go? Why don’t they move to an absolutely deserted island far from everyone else and do those things to each other?

zennurse

Ghomeshi’s spin doctors have walked away from him as well as CBC, the allegations are clearly more than hearsay as the article suggests. I spent some time looking at the Toronto Star coverage and comments last night. Ghomeshi posted the most disgusting piece of “get ahead of it” self-serving whiny PUA bullshit and the public is not impressed.

I am nearly 60 and did not know about Cosby either. He was on my radar long before Jello but not since. I am actually, and sadly, not surprised. He was a huge deal in the late 60s and 70s when there was much less awareness and I can imagine how his victims felt about saying anything at that time.

zennurse

Another thing the RoK perpetuates so Ghomeshi’s claim that there was a relationship. These were, for the most part, women who had either casual relationships with him prior to the assault or women he picked up at book signings, contacting them afterward via FB. His aura of “cool public radio personality” and liberal commentary gave them a sense of comfort, I suppose.

“Perpetuates is”

Sorry, tablet is autocorrect hell.

pawsjones
pawsjones

I recently found out about Cosby being a rapist, so I’ve heard about it before, but since at least the known rapes happened so long ago it’s not as widely known I guess. I came across it by chance when I had a Cosby Show rewatch marathon and went to check the IMDB boards. The details were very, very creepy.

As for Return of Kings; whenever you think they can’t possibly be more vile they go right ahead and set the bar even lower.

weirwoodtreehugger

Rape notch count?

Rape notch count?

Rape notch count?

Nope. No, no, no. I wish for no.

Aunt Edna
Aunt Edna

“but do they have any idea how hard it is to rape just one?”

Well, the writer apparently does, as do all Red Pillers, for whom rape is just another seduction method.

Tracy

I was wondering if the Manosphere would cover Ghomeshi. I’ve been reading about this quite a bit in the TO press and so far, coverage has been good. I’ve stayed out of comment sections though.

Yeah, when your ‘crisis management’ firm walks away from you during a crisis, it ain’t looking good. My fave image so far in the press was Ghomeshi’s picture being scraped off the wall at the CBC.

The Bill Cosby thing is new to me… holy shit. And it was written about in major publications? And… just nothing? Nothing at all came of it? Fuck.

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

rape notch count

Well, that’s revealing.

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

MOD NOTE: I believe I speak for all of us when I say we will have very low tolerance for rape apologism in this thread.

If you need to contact us, email whtmmods at hotmail (or click on the cat heads on the sidebar).

Skye
Skye

How did I not hear about accusations against Bill Cosby? Yikes.

isidore13
isidore13

I am not surprised that nothing came of the Cosby accusations. He is famous, talented, and rich and by now it’s like he’s been around somewhere or another forever, and short of being caught red-handed murdering someone, really famous, rich, otherwise talented men always seem to get off with nothing more than a slap on the wrist, if even that. Frankly I’ve never heard of this other chap at all.

Skye
Skye

And nthing everyone about how creepy “rape notch count” and “how hard it is to rape just one.” These are truly terrible people.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I had been hearing about the Cosby thing off and on. Years ago a woman came forward, and got the reception you would expect: most people ignored it, and the ones who didn’t pushed the line that she was a liar and/or just mistaken and the sex was fully consensual (because women confuse sex and rape all the time or something). Then more women started to come forward and eventually he was sued.

The Internets tell me this happened in 2005. I know the allegations go back farther than that.

Most recently a comedian that I’ve never heard of before worked this into his routine. That seems crass, but having seen a video of the routine I can’t criticize. You can see the video here:

Skye
Skye

OT, can we have another thread on Marysville? Possibly a ni trolls allowed one? I was reading AP wire and we’ve lost another one.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

Anybody who uses a phrase like “Rape notch count” is a serial rapist themselves and possibly worse. I’m not being dramatic, I’d be willing to bet money on it.

Too late, people have been saying that they feel sorry for Ched Evans (but not his victim).

sunnysombrera

Have they already played the “if more women had more sex with more men then there wouldn’t be rape” card, or whatever variation? I know they’ve said that about mass shootings but I wouldn’t put it past them to declare that rapists are just poor sex deprived souls who can’t help themselves and its wimmins fault for not spreading wide.

Also, FUCK OFF FIREWORKS!!! YOU ARE TOO LOUD AND I CANT DEAL RIGHT NOW!!!! YOU’RE FOUR DAYS TOO EARLY ANYWAY.

Puddleglum

Not surprised RoK is dismissing this. This whole thing has been very disheartening for the last week. Not because I’m a Ghomeshi fan (though I was) but because it’s again been clearly shown that women aren’t trusted unless there’s a lot of them saying the same thing.

I’d heard about Bill Cosby, it was all over my tumblr feed for a while, but I hadn’t heard the ‘rape is hard’ defence before. Ugh.

Roxie
Roxie

Color me (not) surprised to find that Mike Cernovich of #GamerGate is a longtime frequenter of the Roosh bulletin boards and fan of Return of Kings. He believes that anti-GG women just need sex from alpha males that anti-GG men can’t manage to provide. That PUA culture is just toxic, both for women and men. It demeans both genders.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

Yeah, I live in Toronto, and it’s been hard not to hear about Ghomeshi here. Especially as I’m an old Moxy Fruvous fan as well.

And, as was mentioned above, he was generally considered a feminist ally. He’d been helping fight for abortion access since University; Moxy Fruvous used to do benefit concerts for Dr. Henry Morgentaler. (In fact, the only time I was ever in the same room as Dr. Morgentaler was at a Moxy Fruvous concert at Lee’s Palace.)

schwadevivre

Rape “notches” WTF?

OK, let’s say that if that is a thing then they should be like the old gunslingers and have the notches cut into their weapon.

Misha
Misha

THIS. Whizz-bang-aaargh! I’m now stuck at work with two cats who are freaking the fuck out and it’s only the 1st.

On topic, I hope Judgytwit doesn’t stick her oar in with this. Her take on the Jimmy Saville stuff was stomach-churning enough.

zennurse

I dipped into the comments, yuk, but the women are being called lying media whores. Ghomeshi is actually being eviscerated by some for his previous beta-ness and, I presume, for getting caught and giving rapists a bad name. There was a Teddy Bear involved.

zennurse

I’m also really curious about where the fireworks are, poor kitties.

Misha
Misha

Ugh, I bet ‘lying media wh****s’ will be enough to set JB’s rape-apologetics radar twitching.

zennurse, the kitties are doing a little better now :). The fireworks were being let off in the neighbour’s back gardens so we’ve taken Trix and Luce to the opposite end of the building and tried to soundproof things. They’re still a bit jumpy though, eyes as big as saucers.

Shaun DarthBatman Day

“I guess it’s just another demonstration that someone can be all for women’s rights in the abstract, but still not really treat the woman in front of them as an actual person.”

Or use the ally card as a way to further silence his victims…

isidore13
isidore13

@Shaun, that gave me the chills. Terrifying.

Dave D
Dave D

For those surprised about the Bill Cosby thing, I think it caught a lot of people unawares- the first I heard about it, and I think for a lot of others, was through part of Hannibal Buress’ standup where he discusses it and videos of his show just went batshit viral.

zennurse

Those saucer eyes take time.

OT
Who is Cathy Young? I just read an article at reason.com by her called “Misandry in the GG controversy”. I can’t block quote on this very stupid tablet but it is dismissive of the level of violence and totally glosses over the right wing and MRA takeover trend. Essentially ” poor misunderstood gamergate”. David is referenced as an antiGG blogger and linked.

I am so annoyed.

Back to regular programming.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

@zennurse

She’s a completely bog-standard femRA and general bigot who desperately wants to be Christina Hoff Sommers but isn’t well-known enough.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

*FeMRA, even.

BritterSweet

Waitwaitwait. Don’t these guys tend to say more often that *not* raping women is hard? What with the things they say regarding consent and clothes and stuff?

Bina
Bina

Coincidentally, just last night, I blogged about how PUA-like Jian’s overall behaviors, as described by the accusers, were. One former Q producer said he was constantly trawling for chats, dates, etc. with any nice-looking single woman who mentioned him on Facebook or Twitter. “Soliciting non-stop” were her exact words. And that he mentally abused her and another young female producer, playing them off against each other, being nice to one and nasty to the other by turns. She says they took turns crying in a wheelchair-accessible washroom in the studio. It seems that he was also very intrusive in social settings — always getting too close, too handsy, etc. Lots of people in journalism, especially in Toronto, are now coming out with “Jian stories” to that effect. It seems that he’s been the secret talk of the town (and the subject of warnings to women) for years.

So, color me SO not surprised to see PUAs talking in what sound like awfully envious tones about Bill Cosby’s and Jian’s “notch count”. Of course they would go gaga over some celebrity’s prowess at assault. Blehhhhh.

(And I used to like Jian too, back in the days of Moxy Früvous. I was happy for him when CBC gave him a show. To say I’m disgusted is putting it VERY mildly. Dude majored in Women’s Studies, fergawdsakes. Was that just a “macktivist” front? Ugh.)

Kiva
Kiva

Best tweet Hannibal Buress got in response to the set, in my opinion, was “Way to ruin pudding for America.”

Also, I’m pretty sure Buress added the hilarious: Am I allowed to laugh at the Theo joke if the pudding-rapist wrote it?

This whole story makes me super sad. I think I need to watch Hannibal Buress stand-up to fight this encroaching despair.

Hahaha, NOLA parades. Ah, he’s so funny.

Gussie Jives (@gussiejives)

As a Canadian who is well aware of Jian Ghomeshi… the accusations didn’t surprise me in the least. When you hit Lucy Decoutere, whatever respect I have flies right out the window, to say nothing of the eight(?) other women alleging the same crap.

Given the number of allegations, this is not just “a BDSM lifestyle” as Ghomeshi claims the CBC fired him for. This is blatant assault, much of it sexual in nature. The sexual harassment allegation (“I want to hate-f*ck you”) in the workplace alone is a fireable offense.

Jian, getting fired by the CBC is the best thing you can hope for, buddy.

I haven’t ready his book 1982, but I am now morbidly curious….

Gussie Jives (@gussiejives)

@Bina The Toronto Star coverage included a lot of stories of how narcissistic Ghomeshi apparently is. Everything, including minor stage appearances, were all about him and how other people thought about him.

I wasn’t a Q listener myself. I first heard him about 10 years ago when he did a rundown of the best songs of each decade from 1920 to 2000. He seemed liked he knew culture and music incredibly well and I kinda liked him. Then I started hearing about how big a douchebag he was… then this came out.

At least CBC pulled the trigger, unlike several major sports teams.

Viscaria
Viscaria

@Bina

That’s a depressingly common story, isn’t it, when these things are finally made public? Much the same was said of Michael Shermer when his preying on women became common knowledge.

Bina
Bina

Yup, it’s depressing. I wasn’t a hardcore fan, but his was a familiar, cute face that I liked. Early on, he seemed like a nice enough guy. The d-bag stuff came late in the game. I didn’t realize just what a too-big-for-his-britches he was until this past April, when he termed the whole rape culture issue a mere “debate”. Um, WHAT? Dude, you took women’s studies and you said THAT? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Also, that Big Ears Teddy toon is too funny. It almost hurts to laugh.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

The list of men it is not safe to get in the elevator with is an old old story.
In this particular case the target of the hate fuck remark was asked what she needed to do to make the workplace less hostile for herself. That is as old a story in the workplace as giving the new women the list of men it is not safe to get in the elevator with.
As far as this years winner of the Hugo Schwyzer faux feminism award, as usual the perp bragged about his exploits and was admired for it until suddenly he was not.

kittehserf - MOD

Seconded. Thanks for putting that reminder up, emilygoddess.

Kevin K
Kevin K

Low tolerance for rape apologism? Isn’t that a little like low tolerance for murder apologism? Low tolerance for beheadings apologism? Low tolerance for Ebola apologism? Low tolerance for child abuse apologism?

How about zero? I’d be in favor of that.

1 2 3