#gamergate drama kings memes whaaaaa?

Completely Inexplicable #GamerGate Meme of the Day

Wait, what?
Wait, what?

Found on the Twitter. Here.

And a couple bonus pics that aren’t quite as inexplicable, but which are pretty ridiculous. From here and here. #WinningHeartsAndMinds #YesDudesImSureYoureAsBraveAsThatChineseGuyWhoStoodInFrontOfTheTanks

B1APexkIUAATMZZ.png large B01aWCjCEAAfi1I

tomtom94speaks

As a Classics student, the misogamy one is especially painful. WORDS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY.

Johanna Roberts

I hereby decree that misogamy now be the name for the thin film that forms on miso soup if you leave it out too long.

Kate
Kate

Misogamy means the hearted of marriage. These people are not very smart.

BarnBurner
BarnBurner

The MRAs have used the term Misofeminy in an attempt to shift the purported hate from women to feminists but thats a new one.

sunnysombrera

Barnburner: but they talk about women and feminists interchangeably, so of course that new word of theirs doesn’t work.

Faint Praise
Faint Praise

Give the real definition of “misogamy” and #GamerGate’s huge overlap with MRA/TRP/etc, I think we know which side is packed with misogamists.

Xanthë

What a shame misogamy already has a meaning, hatred of marriage, since the -gamy suffix (e.g. monogamy, bigamy, polygamy) comes from the Greek γάμος, meaning marriage. Though any alternate definition involving miso soup is certainly likely to be scrumptious.

BarnBurner
BarnBurner

Sadly, its come down to a war of words and that is sort of like a propaganda war. In their little minds its about who can best ‘sell’ a particular philosophy to the American public.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I’m not down with any hatred of miso, which is delicious. It’s also quite good for you, so clearly it has no relation to gamergate.

marinerachel
marinerachel

It’s funny because literally none of my gamer friends are remotely offended nor feel threatened by criticisms of GG and are actually embarrassed and outspoken about the Gators. It’s as if they know they aren’t part of the problem.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Also, doesn’t this mean that MGTOW are misogamists? Oh dear, looks like gamergate has to oppose them too.

marinerachel
marinerachel

Admittedly, my gaming is limited to Duck Hunt.

I love Duck Hunt.

fromafar2013

*reads*

Misogamy?! Thats… not how words work.

Aaahhahahahaha!

Oh gods, I’m choking on my tea. Send help.

marinerachel
marinerachel

Sorry to spam – does anyone know what the gentles in the “Communist China” image are doing?

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

The funny thing for me is that my friend’s boyfriend worked for a major gaming media site, and judging by what he had to say most of the people working there had pretty much the same attitude towards women the gamergate dudes do. Think how well they’d get along if the gamergate dudes weren’t so determined to see themselves as a persecuted minority.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

@marinerachel

It looks like they are inflating life rings. For what purpose, I could not say.

zennurse
zennurse

It really is a room full of mirrors.

I found a happy thing that some of you may have seen, a wonderful woman’s response to a sexist review to her performance in the UK where she (gasp) had a “wardrobe malfunction”. I can’t link, my monitor died so I am on my tablet and none too clever at it, but if you search Amanda palmer dear daily mail you will find it. It is pretty great.

bluecatbabe
bluecatbabe

So misogamy either means hatred of marriage, or marrying miso…

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Oh hey, I just found a WHTM-appropriate image to illustrate the gamergate approach to gaming. It has a cat and everything!

ikanreed
ikanreed

More like misgamy, amiright?

marinerachel
marinerachel

They do look like kisby rings. I’ve never seen them with a joint but it makes sense, given how hard it is to pull the damn things up over your hips or down over your shoulders and chest to get them around your waist on dry land. I can only imagine how trying it would be in an emergency situation.

I…. still don’t understand the reference. Foolish of me to expect it to make sense, coming from those goons.

freemage

zennurse: That was mostly a lovely retort (lost a half-point for the use of ‘twats’ as a slur, but only a half-point, because the rest was brilliant).

Misgamy (n): A cultural phenomenon wherein the traditional marriage ceremonies all center around the cooking and consumption of miso soup, mainly practiced by weeaboo sects of the Pastafarians.

freemage

Gah, stupid typo–shoulda been ‘Misogamy (n)’, etc.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

They tried to make rings out of Pocky but had to give up because there was no mom around to clean up the resulting mess.

zennurse
zennurse

8chan had a little gamergate party at a strip club says NY magazine, it really says it all about the mentality behind this. They seem thrilled with the coverage, taking the reporter back to F. Brennan’s apt for the after party with no awareness how terrible the coverage will be. The photo is hilarious. I’m sorry I cant link for you.

8chan, Stormfront, Forney, Aurini and Toto, Brietbart. What a crew.

ej
ej

@marinerachel
I think they’re trying to imply that the men are inflating the rings to save the poor women who are drowning in the gaming industry (because, as we all know, women can’t make games).

Of course, in my mind, these women aren’t really drowning. Presumably, they built a raft of successful video games and have paddled away before the guys can finish inflating the life preservers.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

This site:

describes the image as, “Chinese paramilitary police prepare for a storm in the South China Sea.” A 30-second Google search provides no additional information on the image itself. However, it looks like it was featured on Cracked and captioned with various permutations of, “the Chinese make people do pointless things just to keep them busy,” which I guess is hilarious?

zennurse
zennurse

Freemage, not British but believe twat is an idiomatic insult there, as is cunt. I don’t like it much either and it doesn’t even rhyme with cocks.

Bina
Bina

Everything they don’t understand is “communist”. Because Those People all look alike to them, no doubt.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Is the Chinese thing supposed to be referencing the Titanic?

Bina
Bina

Also, misogamy, as was pointed out above, means “hatred of marriage”. Which totally sounds like an MGTOW thing.

schismtracer
schismtracer

The tank one is definitely overwrought and and self-congratulating, but I can see it getting traction because it’s not entirely wrong. I mean, twenty years ago, being a male gamer* stereotyped me as a basement dwelling loser. Now, the stereotype is a woman hating loser. Neither has anything to do with my actions, so it’s easy to shrug and disengage with the people pushing those lines.

Of course, that’s quite a lot of people, many in the media, so said disengagement means a lot of distance between myself and society and, looking at some of the people buying into Gamergate (the cannon fodder, I mean, not the leadership), I don’t think that’s terribly uncommon. It is unfortunate that the Misogynist Lobby managed to turn that social disconnect into a recruitment drive, but I suppose somebody was going to eventually.

*to address the inevitable complaints, I’m not including female gamers because I didn’t know any growing up and thus can’t speak to their perspective

Fukuda

My brain is trying to autocorrect misogamy into “anisogamy”… Do they hate gametes? Spermatozoa or Ova?

marinerachel
marinerachel

“[T]he Chinese make people do pointless things just to keep them busy,” is hilarious is that so racistly stupid it’s absurd and makes you chortle because how else to respond sense.

schismtracer
schismtracer

And of course I’d fuck up the tag. *sigh*

AcidTrial
AcidTrial

That Pablo Stanley cartoon is almost well-drawn, though. If anything, I think it would have less traction with these guys because it doesn’t look awful.

Malitia
Malitia

My weeaboo friend’s reaction: Misogami is the god of miso.

Bina
Bina

Speaking of pointless things and keeping busy…ISN’T THAT WHAT GAMERGOMERS DO???

Oh dear, that projection is really coming back to bite ’em today.

Kakanian
Kakanian

Misogamy sounds like it sould be describing the act of marrying a pot of fermented bean curd.

IanKoro

Using Google’s English-Greek translator (the origin for the words misogyny and misandry are from Greek, not Latin), the best I can figure (which, I should warn you, is not very good, I should point out I have zero experience with the Greek language), the proper term for hatred of gamers (or just games) would be something like “misopaichny”.

I tried to find out how to say “games” in greek, which is apparently “paichnídi” (or “παιχνίδι”). Greek video game sites seem to refer to video games as “video games”, so that wasn’t much help.

I also considered “misopaktis”, which is easy to pronounce, and I think means something like “hatred of players”, but then I figured that “player hater” already had a meaning of it’s own.

I’m not sure why I did this, but I’m even less sure why the gamergater who came up with “misogamy” *didn’t* do this. Trying to show off your skills as a master of the classical languages by fumbling through the use of an online translator sounds like it would be right up Davis Aurini’s turtleneck.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Maybe the meme’s point is that defending women in gaming is pointless, just like inflating a fuckton of life rings in preparation for a storm in which some people might drown without a life ring is pointless.

Oh, wait …

estraven
estraven

I am laughing so hard I can’t even read the comments, so I feel totally deprived.

Holytape

misoitactuallyaboutgamesethicsy

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Obviously, anti-gamergaters are supposed to be a mindless hive-collective blowing up life-rings for ungrateful harpies who will grab them and jump, laughing, into alpha rescue boats while the men drown.

Or something.

I kind of now want to call them “gamygaters”.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Me reading this post:

“And there’s the title image. Heh, no idea what’s going on in that pic, but the caption follows the other meme. Alright, let’s read now. Ooh, a new GG meme! It isn’t embedded? Better follow the link to see what it was. Wait… that was the meme? Oh.”

Finding out misogamy has a definition is pretty hilarious. Almost moreso than the tweet attached to the definition. “Read it and weep, eh?” Oh no, they made up a word to describe a persecution that doesn’t really exist! Everything is lost!

That Pablo Stanley one though… It’s referencing the dude that stood in Tiananmen Square, right? That’s just a bit disgusting.

GG: *harasses women*
Media: “GG harasses women”
GG: “Oppression! Tiananmen Square massacre! Stop hating video games, misogamists!”

I guess this is just the latest squirm of the great abusive beast that is GG.

zennurse
zennurse

I swear I won’t do this all day but upworthy has some really perfect stuff.

Thank you haters is a response to online harassment that does it for me.

Can’t link but its easy to find.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Would hatred of miso be misomisomy?

Pocket Nerd

Yet another example of privileged jerks trying to co-opt the language and imagery of their opponents, without bothering to understand what any of it means.

Spoiler alert, dudebros: Words like “misogyny” and “sexist” are not magical trump cards — and if you think feminists use them that way, it’s because you haven’t really been listening.

ZBL
ZBL

Given a quick Google and my incredibly rusty Greek, I think “hated of gamers” should be something like “misokybeuty”.

JQ
JQ

Is the ‘it’s really about defending women in gaming’ them trying to co-opt the “your ‘ethics in games journalism’ cover sucks” memes in order to point that anti-GGers (aka decent people) are trying to pretend the criticism of the gaters is about their treatment of women but it’s really about… whatever they think it’s about

I dunno this is like legit incomprehensible to me

1 2 3