#gamergate harassment sexual harassment twitter

Presented with evidence of one of their own sexually harassing a woman, GamerGaters deny and deflect and offer excuses

tales-of-top-ten_1296972951

GamerGaters like to loudly profess that they oppose harassment. They also like to claim that most if not all of the harassment that has occurred comes from people that aren’t “real” GamerGaters.

So what do GamerGaters do when they’re confronted with evidence that someone in their ranks — not an anonymous nobody but someone with some standing in their community —  is harassing someone?

Well yesterday we had an opportunity to see just that. I wrote about a couple of instances of sexual harassment from a GamerGater known as Cameralady.

While not as famous as GamerGate celebs like Milo Yiannopoulos or InternetAristocrat or, you know, Adam Baldwin, Cameralady is, at least in Gamergate circles, a bit of a player. She was an early and especially eager opponent of Zoe Quinn, and devoted a great deal of time and energy to digging up dirt on Quinn and others. Many of her “findings” made it into GamerGate propaganda on the web and in assorted YouTube videos.

And her sexual harassment was about as blatant as it gets. In the midst of an argument on Twitter, she tweeted a crude sexual come-on to a woman who opposes GamerGate, and was immediately told to get lost. A week later, in the midst of another Twitter argument, she Tweeted another crude come-on to the same woman. The evidence was as plain as day, and I included it all in my post.

So what happened after I posted a link to my post in the #GamerGate hashtag on Twitter? Did other GamerGaters call her out on her behavior?

Well, no. Instead I was besieged by dozens — hundreds? — of tweets from GamerGaters who assured me that the harassment wasn’t harassment at all.

The tone of the discussion was set early on by Cameralady herself, who insisted that her harassment was simple “flirtation” and that anyone who thought otherwise was some sort of anti-sex puritan prude.

I’m not exactly sure how that would absolve her for her bad behavior. If you shoot someone and you miss, you’ve still committed a crime. If you crudely proposition someone who earlier told you to get lost and they for some reason don’t hear you, well, same thing. Also, the woman she harassed did in fact see her tweet.

She also tried to explain that what she was doing really was flirting, and that I didn’t understand because I’m not a lesbian.

Later, she tried another excuse.

Apparently she sends crude sexual comments to so many women she can’t keep track!

Other GamerGaters did their best to minimize, deny and deflect.

cam1

cam2

Even those who accepted that what had happened was harassment did their best to change the subject.

But if you really want a sense of the sheer horror of dealing with GamerGaters on Twitter, well, you’re just going to have to jump headlong into the middle of it.

Here you can see all of the responses to my Tweet linking to my post. Here you will encounter every type of deflection known to humankind, as you scroll downward through an argument that never seems to end.

Witness the terror of endless arguments with people who ask for proof that is already in the article they are ostensibly discussing! Hear the demands for screenshots that have already been given to them!

I never know if they’re really this obtuse, or if they’re just screwing with me.

It reminds me a lot of this classic Monty Python sketch. The only difference is that the Monty Python sketch is over in six minutes, while Twitter never ends.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Duh, it’s his 10th post, guys. We should treat him with kid gloves because he’s not gifted in writing or expressing himself. And geeze, everyone knows one would have to take a women’s study class to understand that rape threats and sexual harassment are both Very Bad Things. Cripes, give the kid a break, he’s a bull in a China shop, and we should understand that. OK, sarcasm off. You need to read a lot more, donovan. And an understanding about insensitivity would help you tremendously before you post here. Oh, sexual harassment isn’t flattery.

A more productive conversation

Lids

I agree, questioning her gender, het sexuality, or her mental health are unnecessary. A woman, and an autistic lesbian at that, is just as capable of misogynistic assholery as a man. I find it’s more common with men, especially straight white ones because they get away with more, but anyone can be an asshole regardless of their gender, mental health, and sexual preference. Cameralady is an misogynistic asshole. End of story. That is all that is relevant here.

Catalpa
Catalpa

Maybe I’ve giving Donovan too much credit, but they might have thought that “sexually harrassing” someone means sexually propositioning them, and doesn’t fall under the umbrella of actually threatening them. Which is still WRONG on so many levels.

Basically they’re buying into the myth that sexually harassing someone is indictive of desiring/complimenting them, and not being a power-tripping jerkoff who likes to make other people uncomfortable and/or afraid. Don’t do that, Donovan.

littlefish
littlefish

“The solution would be to treat this as a genuine request for information until proven otherwise, hmm?”

There’s a phrase I’ve seen…. called jaqing. In some forums, they frequently get posters that come along and “just ask questions”. Often these “questions” have already been answered or are easy enough for the person making the query to find with out on their own. It is possible the person is lazy or maybe genuinely ignorant, but more often than not it is used as a tactic to derail conversation, waste time, and frustrate those the person is asking. On top of that, more often than not, the jaqer becomes belligerent after others refuse to answer his/her questions and often they will continue posting repetitively.

Not that I am saying this is what you’re doing, but jaqing with a side of mansplaining isn’t exactly rare, so I can see why your questions might not be taken as being “in good faith”.

Macha
Macha

@Lids: True as such. Still, it’s awfully convenient that they suddenly have a lesbian to cling to, after campaigning directly against GLBT-friendly games and positions and directly stating that they are trying to use sockpuppets to get legitimacy.

Kim
Kim

“It’s not harassment, it’s flirting.” said every street harasser ever.

Kim
Kim

@Catalpa
That’s how I read it too.

weirwoodtreehugger

This. There’s an implied violence to sexual harassment because the harasser is doing it, not to get laid, but to make the target feel unsafe. This is why it makes no sense to draw a distinction between rape threats and “flattering” sexual harassment.

weirwoodtreehugger

I see an extraneous comma in my post. Oh well. I guess it’s better than a two dot ellipsis.

weirwoodtreehugger

I never knew there was a name for this!

I just checked my notifications on Gawker and two replies in the last couple of hours were, a guy who had earlier asked me for evidence that gamergaters had admitted to doxxing in the IRC logs. I told him to Google it and he replied saying he couldn’t find anything.

Another guy wanted me to give him some links about how to be a male feminist ally that I had posted hours ago in a long, tiring, and ultimately fruitless conversation I had with a dude who seems to think of himself as an ally but kept mansplaining and tone trolling after not liking that a different female commenter called ggers manbabies. The second dude, who had also been tone trolling wanted me too repost the links because he didn’t feel like scrolling through the comments.

Gaahh!!!!

DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK GUYS.

aebars

How much longer is this GamerGate fiasco going to go on for? How much longer is it going to take for these curmudgeons to get bored? A month? Two? I’m tired of hearing about it, like I’m tired of hearing about Ebola and ISIS, and like I was tired of hearing about Trayvon Martin.

mildlymagnificent

For those not familiar with JAQing, remember that the topics being queried are almost entirely PRATTs*.

Not necessarily on the site / by the person concerned, but usually. Most such questions would be answered by searching the site or the person, looong before getting into general searches of the whole web.

*Points Refuted A Thousand Times for those who need to ask.

zoon echon logon
zoon echon logon

They’ve been fuming about Anita Sarkeesian for over two years. Gamergate is just the same old mob with a new paper thin cover story. The cover of jurnalism ethucs is likely to wear out eventually, but their weird obsessive hate boners aren’t going anywhere. The only thing that will stop this for good is a critical mass of people calling it out and a change in “geek” culture such that this kind of stuff is no longer acceptable.

tinyorc

Kevin K:

I thought a better Monty Python sketch would be the “dead parrot” bit.

“Gamers are dead.”
“They’re not dead! They’re just pinin’ for the fjords!”

Now THAT would be a movement I could get behind.

Shaun DarthBatman Day

“Please supply examples of strictly _sexual_ harassment by males in GG. Plenty of sexualized violence, but no overt comeons or catcalls. Sexual attraction is a sign of weakness for males in that crowd. MGTOW (while obsessing over women and their evil ways) doncha know.”

Dude…Where to begin. Oh, I know! Fuck off.

Men who make any and every thing about a woman’s attractiveness or lack thereof are sexually harassing (by objectifying and dehumanising) women. “Ugly”, “Fat”, and “Old” are used to imply that women have less value, and are therefore less worthy of being listened to. This is a form of sexual harassment. Conversely, when women are too attractive, they are viewed as too stupid to have their opinions taken seriously. This is a form of sexual harassment. That’s one. Rape threats and threats of gendered violence are based on weaponized hetero male sexuality and leveled at women as a form of sexual harassment. There is a difference between flirting, unwanted flirting which is stopped with one no, and harassment. Harassment and sexual (gendered harassment) have *nothing* to do with flirting. Nothing at all. And men who harass know the fucking difference, they just don’t like having to behave as though women are people. That’s two.

Words have meaning. Clear meanings are important, because if word meanings (to take an example completely at random…harassment) were not clear then purple monkey dishwater bought Rome.

Shaun DarthBatman Day

” “Gamers are dead.”
“They’re not dead! They’re just pinin’ for the fjords!” ”

*reads
*dies

Binjabreel

I’ve seen them talking about some Christmas plan, but we’ll see how that goes. I mean, it seems to me like they’re burning through names pretty fast- there’s no way Christina Hoff Summers stays a draw and I don’t know if y’all heard Milo Yiannopolis get interviewed on it but holy shit was it a train wreck.

I think this thing with Felicia Day might be the turning point. The amount of cognitive dissonance it must take to ignore it is incredible.

Shaenon

I’ve gotten hooked on reading GG threads just for the inevitable point where they get all grandiose and start monologuing like an old Republic serial villain. I also love how humorless they are; Mario Kart is as serious as ball cancer in these circles.

My three favorite moments:

1. A guy angrily declaring that “you can’t call yourself a gamer just because you play video games.” His analogy was that he can’t call himself a librarian because he read a library book. People pointed out that a librarian isn’t someone who reads lots of library books. “Exactly.”

2. “Nobody knows hardship like gamers.” Actual Tweet. Cannot even type this without laughing.

3. My husband foolishly got in an argument with one of these rubes, and at one point commented that it was cowardly of him to voice his opinions from behind an anonymous throwaway account. The guy replied, “Well, I don’t want to get fired from my job for having an opinion.” No trace of irony. None.

Misha
Misha

“Nobody knows hardship like gamers.”

Cue tiniest violin ever.

Elektra Kenway

I see a few patterns in them… which is a lot like what MRA’s do.

If you give evidence…

– They ignore it.
– Then they ask for more and more proof.
– They keep to ignore everything and ask other stuff.

Cyclic. As for them…

– They don’t reply with any evidence themselves, they establish their “truths” without giving any proof.
– If cornered, they may give a YouTube video as “proof” (or maybe even a meme).

They just ignore all evidence and keep claiming the same things over and over again, demanding that you proove what you say like they’re judges, however they don’t hold the same criteria for themselves.

Aside from that, there’s two particular excuses/attemps of justification I’ve been reading recently from GamerGaters…

– “A bad apple is spoiling the bunch!” Well, who is that “bad apple”? The whole “bad apple” argument is repeated over and over again everywhere.
– “Feminists have threatened GamerGaters too!” Then, assuming it’s true, why don’t you go to the police or the FBI or something?

And then, the inevitable fake feminist accounts flooding all social networks publishing nonsense, attempting to make feminists fight each other and make us all seem monsters to those that may not know much about it still.

vaiyt

I’m still waiting for the good apples to show up.

proxieme
proxieme

Talk at you for half an hour about the piece of code they’re trying to debug when you have no idea what they’re on about and all you asked was “how’s it going?”, sure, but randomly proposition you for sex while in transit? Not so much […]

Ah-yup.

I currently know enough about JavaScript and .NET to carry on (or at least decently follow) a conversation.

The only coding that I’ve ever done is messing around with CSS and HTML on Codecademy.

proxieme
proxieme

And thank you to this thread for introducing me to the term JAQing/JAQing Off.

The next time someone does this, I’m just going to respond with this link.
For some reason, there’s an extraordinary amount of trolls in NPR FB comment threads – some obviously sock puppets (MUH PROFILE PICTURE’S AN EAGLE AND AH WENT TO FREEDOM UNIVERSITY!), some not.

proxieme
proxieme

So “real gamers”…um…curate collections of games?

*squints*

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

So “real gamers”…um…curate collections of games?

Real gamers shush you when you start talking too loud.

proxieme
proxieme

I wonder if they consider console games and PC games different media types.

What about console download-only vs disc? Not to mention the different systems…
And then there’s the DLC!

SO MANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAMER DEWEY DECIMAL SYSTEM!

Shiraz
Shiraz

I’m not surprised some dolt said, “You can’t call yourself a gamer just because you play games.” Gamergate dudebros aren’t united by games, just misogyny and a fear of women making them feel inferior.
I think when one of those idiots is caught, fined and has his name publicized, all this might cool off. Maybe. I dunno.

Elektra Kenway

I find the whole “true gamer” thing so senseless.

I’ve played videogames for over 20 years, but I’ve always wanted to share it. I never felt it made me “special” or anything, though the prejudice of it being “for boys” was predominant back then.

Sometimes, when I was a child, I’d bring my Sega Genesis to birthdays so I wouldn’t get bored. I invited the other girls to play, mostly Disney games that I loved and carried everywhere, and we all had fun. That later evolved on LAN parties as an adult.

When you truly enjoy something, you don’t want to keep it to yourself. You want everyone else to be able to enjoy it too, and spread it around.

By the way, I gave all my old consoles (the Nintendo and even the Sega Game Gear) and games to my godmother’s daughter a few years ago.

All of it.

Yep, I’m truly full of love… I guess.

sunnysombrera

Elektra: I loooooove retro video games. I too had a Sega Genesis that me and my brother shared (this was during the early 00s, my parents couldn’t afford an up to date console). It also had loads of Disney games! I remember Maui Mallard, Quackshot, Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion, and the Lion King, which IMHO is the best film to video game transition ever.

My Sega is now in the hands of my friend’s six year old autistic son, who LOVES it.

Elektra Kenway

Sunnysombrera: Same! I could never even pay for a Playstation or anything, so I just kept on playing on PC instead, as I’ve played ever since.

Videogames are so much better when you share them with loved ones. I recently tried to make my mom play the Tomb Raider reboot, but she had issues with the keyboard, so maybe I’ll get a manual controller.

The first FEAR game was soooo intense. I could never play it alone, I had to keep the lights turned on and I’d skip some parts and make my (then) boyfriend play them instead. So scary, such a good game. (And I don’t dare to try Evil Within… yet.)

The old Disney games were so wonderful. Aladdin, The Lion King and The Little Mermaid were my absolute favourites. And then getting stuck somewhere and dying over and over again… no reload, no saves, nothing. You lost the 3 lives (+ bonuses from collectibles) and that’s it! Ahhh, the old days.

Thankfuly there’s “abandonware” for games like Maniac Mansion and many other jewels, plus the emulators for console games. “Ancient” Sonic still kicks @ss! I liked Knuckles more, though…

And still, there’s so many games I’ve never played or even tried! They’re really famous and even “cult” games, but for several different reasons (time, money, life) I never even tried them.

So then, what is it to be a “true gamer”? All it takes is for you to enjoy videogames. No big deal, at least not as big as self-titled “true gamers” want to make it seem. A “true gamer” will never rub its “truth” on your face. A “true gamer” shares the love for gaming!

littlefish
littlefish

I always suspected I would not be a “true gamer” cause 1. Most of my life I’ve played handheld systems rather than expensive, tethered to a tv systems 2. I only play to have fun, a known trait of “filthy casuals”…. 3. I do stuff that annoys the serious gamers… because who doesn’t love a parade of sea turtles in WoW? People are so touchy.

zoon echon logon
zoon echon logon

Each side has fringe and should not detract from the argument at hand. The journalist abused their positions

If you’re not willing to call out their shitty behavior and odious beliefs, they’re not a “fringe.”

JQ
JQ

@proxieme: Well, the Dewey Decimal system was numeric partly because it made life easier for people doing sorting. Since a video game library presumably has some kind of computers, I say we go with alphanumeric since it’s easier to follow, and I would propose:

CCCC.NNNNNNNNN.DD

Where the first four character slots make up a console or OS code, and the nine after a unique serial number for the game (but it would be shared by cross-platform version) and the final two a kind of version code where 00 would be the base game, number values would indicate DLCs and letter values would be overall version (GOTY, HD edition, etc).

The main limitation I see is that it would only hold 36^9= ~about ten trillion different games but you can always stick a leading or trailing zero on all existing serial numbers and add another character slot.

Of course, that system might be a little more nuanced than how the GGers categorize, which seems to be (let me know if I missed anything):

Anything that reinforces their worldview: PERFECT AND UNASSAILABLE
Anything that challenges it: OPPRESSION!!!!
Everything else: For Babies

sunnysombrera

Elektra: I’ve been watching a Let’s Play of Evil Within and by the look of the episodes so far that game is getting damn creepy. It’s a little disturbing but in the way of “wtf is that and why???” instead of, say, Silent Hill style disturbing . If it were a horror film I’d watch it and I’m pretty squirmy regarding horror films.

There are a lot of “babyish” games (according to GGers) that are actually very well made. One of my favourites ever is Paper Mario 2 which was for the Gamecube. Great storyline, developed characters, and the dialogue was funny as hell. It’s a very underrated game.

Anastasia Maria DiMarca

I would highly recommend not trying to engage GamerGate on twitter. I tried.
At one point, they agreed with me that they’d hoped Mike Cernovich does not actually hire a PI against Zoe Quinn, but because they don’t want her to end up some sort of martyr. They also said that it creates more drama for “e-celebs” and they need to stick to the main point.

… which is taking down Gawker and MSNBC.

I asked them, why take down two sites that really aren’t to do with games journalism? One person said it’s because Gawker owns Kotaku. When I said “but didn’t Kotaku change their policies based on what GG wanted?” I was told “no, that was Escapist”. I then reiterated that GamerGate is supposed to be about games journalism, so they shouldn’t be going after non-gamer sites just because those sites don’t like them.

here are the two responses I was given:
1: Getting rid of Gawker “frees up space” on the internet for gaming sites.
2: To stop trying to dictate to GamerGate who they should and shouldn’t protest.

At one point I was accused of being a shill, but the other GGer stood up for me that I’m “all right”.

proxieme
proxieme

JQ: That’s a thing of beauty.

Really, truly.

*tear*

Re: Troo Gamer classifications: Absolutely. And “real games” can be OPPRESSION if they don’t jibe with the GG POV:

lkeke35lkeke35

Elektra: I can’t like this comment enuff.

sunnysombrera

…”frees up space on the Internet?”

Good lord. Has anyone tried telling these gamer geniuses how the Internet actually works? The stupid is too much for me to handle right now.

weirwoodtreehugger

You know what gamergate should be focused on? Net neutrality. If they actually cared about having sites that aren’t corporate and focus on the games and the fans instead of money, they’d be worried that net neutrality has been under attack by entities like Comcast.

Of course, you can’t blame women for net neutrality being threatened. So it isn’t going to happen.

AbsintheDexterous

You can’t call yourself a gamer just because you play games
frees up space on the Internet

Really, GamerGators, put down the Twitter and get some sleep. So you really don’t know anything about anything – from the internet, to trolling, to SJW or feminism, or anything else in this vast and expansive open world Earth but clicking some buttons on a controller to make things move on a screen. The technology got so good they could engage in not just vidya games but harassment as well. Two fer One! But then technology also allowed women (and anyone else) to screenshot and post the harassment for all to see. *sadface* How were they supposed to know that people wouldn’t keep quiet and would embarrass them all over the internet? Don’t you know, nobody can see their super-secret posts and IRC channels and Twitter feeds and 4chan/8chan. No one else on the internet knows how to give fake email addresses or usernames. THE TECHNOLOGY IS ONLY FOR THEM.

So it’s not that they’re trying to fool anyone, as they are literally too stupid to attempt that, it’s that they’re trying to inflict your ignorance on the rest of us – they won’t succeed, as most us know how to wipe that shit off.

They are but a small segment of all gamers but pretend they’re not. Since companies like to do things like make money, said companies started to notice that they would make more money by doing things that this small subsection of gamers don’t like. To The Keyboards, Warriors! Except that a few companies will make games geared to them, only because that’s easy money – even if they hate the game, they will still buy it, because they have more money than sense. It’s like they haven’t noticed that virtually everyone else plays the same games they do, that they play way more games than GamerGators don’t, and have been playing longer than a lot of them ever have been playing.

This is worse than a trainwreck….I know I should look away and I CAN’T.

JQ
JQ

proxieme Oh man, Borderlands. Torgue’s progression as a feminist is pretty great, and that Fake Geek Guy mission with him is one of my favorites.

I haven’t gotten far in Pre-Sequel yet, but I’ve seen some of the nerdbrorage inspired by the fact that they were like ‘we want to put some characters who aren’t straight white guys’ despite the fact that there are also playable white guys in every game. Some of whom may be straight? I know Axton was bi, still don’t know much about Wilhelm-the-dude, and Brick I don’t think it ever came up? Either way the constant conflation of ‘this game has people who are not exactly like me!’ with ‘this game doesn’t have any people who are anything like me’ is tiring

weirwoodtreehugger I’m sure they could blame women for net neutrality problems if they put their minds to it. It’s not like these people need a shred of basis in actual reality in order to believe something

pallygirl
pallygirl

Oh come on, it’s obvious that the games ordering system would have to be in binary. 😛

Dvärghundspossen

Actually, it seems like no people here have got their facts straight about gamergates. Firstly, all gamergates are female, while you seem to be under the delusion that most of them are men. Plus you seem to believe that gamergates use the internet. I’m pretty certain that they don’t know how to do that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate

JQ
JQ

you raise a good point, pallygirl, 36 means requiring six bits per slot but wasting most of that last bit. If we cut out four letters that’d get us down to thirty two characters, or five bits exactly.

It’d be a little confusing since you wouldn’t just want to drop the last four letters, you’d need to keep at the very least X and W (stupid microsoft), but a quick lookup table could solve that problem for humans and computers alike.

It’d also limit us to about three and a half trillion games to start, but, when necessary, we could go up past a hundred trillion with one extra digit. At a total of five extra bits per string, as opposed to one extra bit per each of thirteen characters per string, we’d be still be saving on space versus my original proposal while increasing possible storage tenfold. Good catch! 😉

JQ
JQ

(hi WHTMers, my normal job is data analysis and storage but my job right now is ‘sit here reading tumblr and waiting for IT to get the website up so I have somewhere to store said data’, please excuse my inane rambling. Either way tho, love this site)

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@pallygirl:

That’d just make the codes really really long. The 9-digit alphanumeric code in the middle, for instance, would have to be expanded to around 47 binary digits to account for the same number of values.

Though lets see… If you wanted to convert the whole proposed representation (CCCC.NNNNNNNNN.DD) to a packed binary number…

You’d need around 19 bits to represent the console code, 47 to hold the alphanumeric game code, and 7 bits for the version code, for a total of 73 bits. Dang, doesn’t quite pack into a 64-bit value (standard value size for 64-bit machines).

However, according to extremely non-professional ask.com type sites, the estimated number of games made in the history of the world is less than one million. I suppose this doesn’t count cheap flash games that are produced by that gazillions, but the Dewey decimal system doesn’t have to assign a number to every piece of paper with words on it either. With 47 bits for the game portion, the number of games that can be represented is around 140 trillion.

The 19 bits for the console code probably is overkill as well, able to represent over 500,000 machines. On “A Guide to US Game Consoles” which starts with consoles from 1972, there are less than 100 consoles listed. And that includes the time before game consoles basically boiled down to a couple brands.

You could probably have something like 12 bits for the console (4096 unique consoles), maybe 4-8 bits for the version? (16-256 values, depending if you want to track code patches that modern games tend to release. Diablo III has had around 14 so far), then 44-48 bits for the game code, which still leaves over hundreds of billions of slots.

Then you get a nice 64 bit number!

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Dang, JQ beat me to the punch.

pallygirl
pallygirl

I wasn’t meaning interpret the Dewey system directly into binary and then show the binary number, I meant have a binary system starting from scratch. Just like Library of Congress is quite different to Dewey.
🙂

I was thinking machine code, but that needs to be converted to binary as well.

What impact would library systems using quantum computing have? Discuss.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@pallygirl:

Huh, wikipedia has fun things. Apparently, it is theoretically possible to send up to two classical bits of information for every qubit (quantum bit) of data (Source). So presumably you could cut data requirements by half by using qubits.

Also, this page has some interesting theoretical implications for cryptography. Basically, current cryptographic systems would be broken, but new, more secure ones would become available.

I guess not a whole lot would change for the library systems. Storage might become smaller, and look-ups might become faster, and password-protection would require a new background system, but that seems like it would be about it.