#gamergate 8chan a woman is always to blame antifeminism creepy douchebaggery doxing drama kings entitled babies gross incompetence harassment hate homophobia transphobia video games zoe quinn

Teacher: "Don't be a creep. Embrace women in gaming." GamerGaters: Welcome to "the House of Pain."

Unfortunately, GamerGaters aren't action figures.
Unfortunately, GamerGaters aren’t action figures.

GamerGaters sometimes try to rebut charges of misogyny by pointing out that the targets of their wrath aren’t only women. And that’s true. They also target men … who stand up for women.

Mike Stuchbery, a writer and teacher in England, recently aroused the wrath of the Gaters by posting a brief essay titled “A Letter To The Gamerdudes In My Classes” on his blog. In the essay, he wrote “[d]on’t be part of the mob that attacks whichever target GamerGate is going after this week.”

So now he’s become “the target GamerGate is going after this week.” Or one of them, anyway.

The essay that so angered the Gaters is about as mild a criticism of their movement as you can imagine.

Stuchbery, after noting his own love of video games like Skyrim and Assassin’s Creed, simply suggested to his male students that they “stay away” from GamerGate.

He noted that the whole thing started with a blog post by Eron Gjoni,the angry ex-boyfriend of game developer Zoe Quinn – something Stuchbery said he thought was “a bit of a jerk move” on Gjoni ‘s part.

He then went on to describe the harassment and threats directed at Quinn and other women involved in the gaming world, threats that have forced many of the targeted women out of their homes. “Now, it might just be me, but don’t you think that there is something very, very wrong here?” he asked.

The movement that arose in the wake of these events, #GamerGate, claims that it’s not about sexism.They claim that their movement is about journalistic ethics, keeping games magazines about games and not preaching any particular message. …

However, every time a woman speaks up to say ‘Hey, maybe we could change things, make gaming more friendly for women!’, she gets threatened with murder and rape. …

[E]very time a woman speaks up about abuse or harassment she’s received within the gaming scene, she’s forced to leave her home for fear of attack.

There’s a word for the kinds of people who make the kinds of threats that Quinn, Wu and Sarkeesian have received: Creeps.

Hateful, misogynist creeps.

Uh oh. The c-word. If there’s one thing misogynistic assholes hate more than women, it’s being called creeps.

Actually, I think I’ve got that backwards. But trust me, they hate it.

Stuchbery went on to make these radical suggestions:

Guys, I urge you, if you see this stuff online, don’t join in.  …

Don’t be a creep.

Embrace women in gaming.

Apparently, to the assembled masses over on 8chan, these were fighting words. And so the angry mob began to form, in the thread archived here.

The angry and not-very-well-infomed mob, that is. Though Stuchbery has an unequivocally male name, and identifies himself as Mr. Mike Stuchbery on Twitter, many of the angry mobsters assumed he was a she. (Each of these posts are taken from different parts of the thread; see the link above for full context. Also note that all commenters are automatically assigned the name “The Leader of Gamergate.”)

The Leader of Gamergate  10/21/14 (Tue) 13:07:38 ID: b53cd7 No.227893 Find her info and complain to whatever authority is pimping her.

The Leader of Gamergate  10/21/14 (Tue) 13:41:37 ID: 3b03b4 No.228285>>228295>>228304>>228340>>228348>>231186>>236977>>237922  File (hide): 1413916896731.gif (2.6 MB, 459x459, 1:1, K0bUm.gif) >>227869 (OP)  OK guys I know we have a policy against calling for someone to be fired, but this is different.  This is a school teacher abusing her position to indoctrinate children using vile propaganda.  Email her school right now and demand her to be removed from that position and reprimanded for her actions.

The Leader of Gamergate  10/21/14 (Tue) 14:27:03 ID: 32d0c7 No.228980 >>227869 (OP) >Turning true in half-lies and lies in half-trues  I am platinum mad, she is a sick person to do this to kids

Oh, but GamerGate isn’t about women!

Here’s how one of the commenters responded to the news that Mr. Mike Stuchbery was in fact a Mr.

The Leader of Gamergate  10/21/14 (Tue) 14:18:56 ID: 6d0738 No.228829 >>228304  You shouldn't judge people like that. Mike may very well be a beautiful trans-woman that just hasn't had her name changed, or may even be against changing her name just to fit the patriachy's view of what a woman's name should be like.

Even those who did manage to get Mr. Mike Stuchbery’s gender correct, and managed to avoid making grotesquely transphobic jokes about it, didn’t take their fact-checking much beyond that. The commenters simply assumed that Stuchbery had presented his essay to his class in an attempt to “indoctrinate” them, though there’s nothing on Stuchbery’s site that would suggest this.

Indeed, when I asked him directly, this is what he wrote to me:

I simply posted it on my blog in response to chatter I hear in the corridors. It was kind of an open letter. There was no reading it out in class

But apparently getting basic facts right doesn’t matter much to a GamerGate mob intent on exacting “justice” upon a man they described variously as a “dipshit,” a “cunt,” a “faggot,” and “a shill that cannot be redpilled.”

The Leader of Gamergate  10/21/14 (Tue) 14:34:55 ID: f9a139 No.229124 >>229100 THREADLY REMINDER THAT THIS IS ACTUAL INDOCTRINATION IN FRONT OF OUR EYES

The Leader of Gamergate  10/21/14 (Tue) 13:43:16 ID: 563ea4 No.228313 >trying to brainwash children with your personal agenda because you're a limp dicked liberal wanker who wants to get laid by some ugly feminist hag really bad and convincing adults that your hogwash is worth a shit is too hard  lmao where do we report him to?

The Leader of Gamergate  10/21/14 (Tue) 14:28:19 ID: f9a139 No.228999  File (hide): 1413919699793.gif (425.71 KB, 639x360, 71:40, 1413786309433.gif) >>228704 YES YES YES!!! WE'RE FIGHTING FOR THE PEOPLE HERE!!! IT'S NOT HIS FUCKING BUSINESS WHAT HIS STUDENTS TWEET!!!  >POST YFW WE'RE REAL SOCIAL JUSTICE

The Leader of Gamergate  10/22/14 (Wed) 06:10:49 ID: dc56d3 No.239463>>239529 >>239325 If the parents are informed about this the guy will get fired 100%.  In the emails we have to inform them about the situation and ofcourse the parents should know. I would sue the school if they didn't fire a teacher indoctrinating my kids.

The Leader of Gamergate  10/22/14 (Wed) 06:20:47 ID: 02a5bb No.239529 >>239463 >In the emails we have to inform them about the situation  I'm trying to find where to email. This piece of shit seems to be keeping the exact school he "teaches" at a secret. Gee, wonder why.

So this is how it works now.

If you’re a teacher, and you post an open letter on your blog in which you suggest to your male students that they not join up with an online mob that actively harasses and threatens women … that mob will harass you, and doxx you, and try to get you fired. Or at least, as one of the mob put it, “[r]emoved: transferred to another class or whatever, but he can’t keep teaching those kids, not after what he done.”

Or at least after what they think “he done.”

Another one of the mobsters added this ominous note: “as it says in the Book of Gamergate: ‘He who breaks the law goes back to the House of Pain.'”

Now, I should add that some people in the thread — more than a few — suggested that doxxing was bad, and that maybe trying to get a dude fired wasn’t the way to go. One commenter urged fellow Gaters to get back to targeting advertisers instead of, and I kid you not, “going off on sidequests that wont get us any xp.” (That is, “Experience Points.”)

Others thought it would make their side look bad.

The Leader of Gamergate  10/21/14 (Tue) 14:48:00 ID: b88b10 No.229368>>229419>>229427>>238675 >>229269 How can I NOT report this? By not doing it. By getting back to emailing advertisers. I seriously don't want to have to fucking deal with "GamerGate is now targeting school teachers", you don't want that spin either. It's not our place to do this, and I really think starting this line of actions is a bad idea.

STARTING this line of actions? GamerGate has been about harassment from the very start, even before it was called GamerGate.

Other commenters responded to the calls for “moderation” with open hostility:

The Leader of Gamergate  10/22/14 (Wed) 05:49:45 ID: 02a5bb No.239325>>239463 >>238839 >I'm not interested in him getting fired at all.   You want this piece of shit to indoctrinate children? Get the fuck out. I'm serious, get the fuck out. You have no place here.

I actually agree with that last bit. If you’re involved in GamerGate and this kind of witchhunt disturbs you, take the hint and get out.

At this point, after all the revelations about what this online mob has done and is doing to fuck up people’s lives, you should realize just what it is you are a part of. You are, as Stuchbery has pointed out, part of a hate group.

Even if you aren’t personally harassing anyone, you are part of an online mob that is. And if you’re on 8chan’s /gg/ board, you’re on a board that is proving to be one of the central organizing hubs of this harassment.

Don’t worry about LOOKING bad. You ARE BAD.

If you have a decent bone left in your body, you need to do everything in your power to shut down this angry mob, end the harassment and threats and witchhunts, and bring an end to GamerGate.

Falconer

Seconding pallygirl.

Even if some group uses the f-word to describe people they don’t like, no need to go using it when talking about what they would say.

If Argenti were around, hir stable would be bursting.

Emmy Rae
Emmy Rae

Seconding pallygirl and anarchonist. Homophobia and ableism are not welcome in this space.

Read update #4 in the welcome package for more info: http://artistryforfeminismandkittens.wordpress.com/the-official-man-boobz-complimentary-welcome-package/

Emmy Rae
Emmy Rae

double ninja’d…

Emmy Rae
Emmy Rae

Regarding the actual post – this is the kind of stuff that makes me second-guess calling out GG stuff on twitter or elsewhere. I don’t game (although I did when I was younger) but I do recognize harassment and misogyny. I guess if you get unlucky enough for the “movement” to hold you up as a bad example, that’s just how it goes. Yikes.

Lea
Lea

What gross, awful people.

Emmy Rae
Emmy Rae

Why can’t they put all this effort into planning a surprise birthday party for their mom or something?

Nop
Nop

LOL. Great work, David. I was watching that 8chan/gg/ thread from the start, & contacted Mike when it started getting ugly. I’m so glad you got on this one so quickly. The actual thread is still live, believe it or not, & I’ve just posted a mocking comment there that links to this article.

weirwoodtreehugger

Why would a school fire a teacher because they got some emails from people who not parents, members of the community the school is in, and in many cases people who are in different countries? Why would they care about what a bunch of angry twitter trolls think?

I also wasn’t aware that writing a blog post about harassment and threats being wrong is indoctrination. These guys really are like tea party Republicans. They also think teaching entirely reasonable and true things like evolutionary theory and our government being secular is liberal indoctrination.

weirwoodtreehugger

Um yeah, what’s with the influx of ableism in this thread. I know the gamergate stuff is upsetting to people and inspiring impassioned opposition, but lets not stoop to their level here.

Sarah
Sarah

Some more optimistic thoughts here, nobody I know heard of the GG in any other way than a tantrum of angry gamebabies with too much violence and free time. I don’t have a huge online presence but I’m active in a few geek circles that include lots of male nerds, with varying political positions and even people who defended Dick Dawkins in his misogynistic rants. Now I connect with these people through old-school geek media like email and irc, so I think it is ok to assume that the hardcore GG-ers have decided to focus their socks in flooding twitter so they’re giving the impression of a massiveness they don’t have. On the other hand, I don’t live in the US.

I imagine the reaction of teachers and parents of the school if those dumbasses get to send them such requests would be the same as the epic opening in the cracked article:

“Gentlemen,” we said amid the stunned silence, “do you realize that if what they’re saying is true, then this is still the most pointless fucking bullshit anyone has ever forced us to read?”

Mary
Mary

@princessmathonwy ~

I would imagine that if Gamergaters somehow did manage to get him fired, it would actually do far more to convince his students how awful Gamergate really is.

It’s likely that some of the students Mike Stuchbery was more directly addressing are sympathizers of/participants in the GG mob, themselves, petulant enfants terribles who feel that any attempt to get them to think about what they’re doing and question the stuff bouncing off the walls of their own online echo chamber is the very definition of “oppression,” and who, therefore, think Mr. Stuchbery deserves the sack.

Daeran Zemaitis
Daeran Zemaitis

My mistake. If I’m not mistaken, “crazy” is used to tar people with mental illness or disability but I’m far too used to the context in which it’s used to refer to people who have those kinds of conspiratorial, paranoid mindsets.

Was not my intent to be ableist, so I’ll try to use a different word to get across my point.

Orion

Owl Cake,

Do I know you from a mumble gaming server?

Nequam
Nequam

The problem is we don’t have a nice simple word for “may not actually be diagnosed with a mental illness but don’t exactly seem mentally/emotionally healthy.”

And no, asshole doesn’t really have the connotation I’m looking for here.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

No, the problem is that you want a way to equate horrible people with mentally ill people without using any of the current English words for this, because you recognize that doing this is not acceptable but you still want to do it anyway.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@Nequam:

The question you should be asking yourself is why you’re bothering to try to diagnose mental issues in the first place. Bad behavior and mental illness are not synonymous; if you’re trying to criticize the former, you don’t need to do it by invoking the latter.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Darn, ninja’d.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Describing the behavior is indictment enough. Srsly. It is.

Daeran Zemaitis
Daeran Zemaitis

To be honest, I don’t even associate the word “crazy” with its original definition of “mentally ill”. I guess the “irrationals” would have been a better word? If I use that word where I used “crazy” it would have conveyed the same idea, right?

I know people who do struggle with mental illness and I would never, ever want to associate them with the GamerGate crowd.

Josh
Josh

Well this is the most reasoned comment thread I’ve seen about the subject. Bravo, all.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

The issue is that other people do associate “crazy” with “mentally ill,” and this is not an uncommon response given that this is primary definition of the fucking word. Intentions are important, but they aren’t magic.

Skye
Skye

Folks, please let’s not parse whether x word has y problematic connotations ‘for me’ when someone says ‘please don’t use that word, it hurts me.’ We’re all reasonably intelligent people. Expand your insult vocabulary to use a word that doesn’t hurt unintended targets.

Also, did anyone notice that Mike Stuchbery commented? It seems really telling that he’s called out facist groups without facing this kind of vitriol as he is now from Gamer Gaters. Yikes.

Michael Lindsay

“OK guys I know e have a policy against calling for someone to be fired, but this is different.”

Tells you everything you ever needed to know about their stance on “ethics”.

contrapangloss

Hi Mike! Almost missed your comment here.

All the internet hugs to you if you need them, and I apologize on behalf of some of the nicer denizens.

You totally did not deserve this, at all.

I’m not sure if I’m brave enough to visit your blog for support, but I might have too.

kobun37
kobun37

You know, I’ve been hyped up since yesterday about the new Five Nights at Freddy’s 2 trailer, and these idiots scare me more.

What does it say when real people act creepier and less human than murderous animatronic pizzeria mascots in a horror game?

Skye
Skye

I’d like to second what Contrapangloss just said. That was rude of me to not talk to you in my message. I hope things get better soon and these terrible folks don’t give you too much trouble.

kittehserf - MOD

MODERATOR NOTE

Gendered and ableist slurs aren’t acceptable here, remember? Knock it off with “fag”, “insanity” and the like. Internet diagnosing is right out, too.

Bina
Bina

“as it says in the Book of Gamergate: ‘He who breaks the law goes back to the House of Pain.’”

O RLY?

Well, since you guys broke several laws against threatening, harassment and privacy invasion, you know where YOU are headed.

And with any luck, it will be a literal, real-world one.

Inez Milholland
Inez Milholland

So let me get this straight…

They assumed the essay writer was a woman, but after repeated references to the author’s gender, name, and preferred title by others, they assumed the author was a transman? And they began throwing around transphobic slurs?

Well, that just takes a**hole bingo to a whole new level. What a bunch of tools.

chaltab
chaltab

I just want this awfulness to end. Don’t the channers get they’ve lost in the court of public opinion? Why do they keep on at this point?

kittehserf - MOD

Welcome to all the new commenters and delurkers, and especially Mike Stuchbery – here’s your Official Complimentary WHTM Welcome Packages!

vaiyt

Why do they keep on at this point?

For the same reason they have always done – to attack women. And they won’t be satisfied until their fragile egos are assuaged, that is, never.

steampunked (@steampunked)

I know this is gonna probably sound weird…but as the child of teachers, just out of curiosity, do the GG’s expect teachers to teach without offering any opinions at all? Even my hard science teachers gave plenty of opinions on things – especially my Biology teacher, who also taught self defense to women. He had a LOT to say about people making stupid assumptions.

When you get into art or english it becomes even more subjective. People get passionate. This isn’t the same thing as enforcing a religious rule – it’s saying don’t be an asshat.

That’s…a big part of what teachers do. ALL THE TIME. It’s a big part of their job, actually – to offer subjective opinions up for debate, or to show objective approaches in science.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

There certainly seems to be a large overlap between those who rage at being told that games are full of sexist tropes and those who rage over being told “don’t be that (rapist) guy”. Coincidence?

Luzbelitx

Hi Mike Stuchbery, all my respect to you!

Also, for what it’s worth, here’s the Wikipedia article for Gamergate with some unexpected content… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate

Skye
Skye

Steampunked, your bio teacher sounds awesome.

Mike, your teacher’s oath was beautiful.

vaiyt

The problem here isn’t even whether the teacher has opinions or not – it’s that #gaters start from the principle that the status quo is apolitical, and everything else is “indoctrination”. They want teachers to not take a stand so they give an impression that #GG is on equal footing with their opponents.

proxieme
proxieme

All – I just wanted to say that prior to reading this blog and its comments I’d often use “crazy” as a lazy pejorative, but your explanations have helped me to be more mindful with my speech.

*waves*

Now I just stick to asshats and douchecanoes 😀

HCK
HCK

It’s HG Wells, not Jules Verne as I said earlier. A reference to the? Island of Dr Moreau (which is quite different from the movie).

There is an irony here in that the law of the island is about not acting like animals (do not go on all fours, do not slurp up drink, do not chase creatures), which would be contrary to the MRA primal alpha.

But when the island creatures recite the law, after each law they say “are we not men?” so it seems some of them miss the meaning of the law and just assume that whatever isn’t manly sends them back to Dr Moreau’s lab

Bina
Bina

I just unfriended a “not all Gamergaters” type. It was the first time he’d responded to any of my posts, and it happened to be Gawker’s piece calling the gomers fascists, which they demonstrably are (I do believe they meet all 14 points). I had long wondered what this dude was doing on my friend list anyway. Guess it no longer matters…he’s out.

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

@ Mike Stuchbery – nicely done! You could teach my kids anytime. I also sincerely hope that this blows over for you soon, and that you stay safe and so forth.

(sorry for the bad Englishing. Hard day. I is discombobulated.)

pallygirl
pallygirl

@Mike Stuchbery: adding the chorus of hellos. I noted on the page that David linked that you’re an English teacher, so I’m assuming that rights/wrongs/ethics are already a key component of what you teach when the students are learning to interpret literature. I see the blog post as an extension of what you already teach.

Thanks for publicly standing up to be counted.

Hry
Hry

GamerGate has a real Cultural Revolution feel about it now. Completely out of hand, utterly bizarre, totally unexplainable except by a kind of collective hysteria, and yet somehow not running out of steam yet, when most people would have thought it must have done so by now.

Bear
Bear

In case you guys haven’t seen this yet, some GG-er is now claiming that people who call themselves gamers but are “not true gamers” (like a mom who plays Candy Crush) are culturally appropriating “gamer culture.”

Bear
Bear

(Agh the tweet embedded x___x I was just trying to link to it.)

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

@Bear

That’s not really new, that’s just the same “Fake geek girl” nonsense they’ve been stomping on us with for years coupled with…

… That. Of course, that doesn’t make it any less ridiculous. =P

(I have no idea if that’s going to embed or not, sorry.)

Skye
Skye

Oh, brother.

I also love how this dude is sure no feminists were gamers “a few years back” and instead just made fun of them. Chris Kluwe said he’s been a gamer for 26 years. I’ve been one about that long. There are tons of feminists oldrr than me who’ve been gamers longer. Also, again women and feminists are not the same thing.

And, like it or hate it, Candy Crush is, by definition, a game. If “gamer” is one who plays games, then hypothetical mom is a gamer. Get over it, dude.

Misha
Misha

@kittehserf and all, thanks for the slur crackdown. Really unnerving to see that language starting to creep in here *shudder, not ok.

@Bear, that tweet is hilarious.

And they were a constant source of ridicule for the mainstream media. Especially feminists. They were people to be laughed at.

Ah ha ha. Ha. Because feminism is totes such a huge presence in mainstream media anything, it’s even taking over government (omg truth!) and feminists are infamous for ridiculing nerds over playing games instead of being Real Men and doing Real Men Things. This is all a thing that is true and damn those SJW’s and their lying lies.

their gamer culture.

And now you guys all suddenly want to be gamers?

Gatekeepers. Ugh.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

“Feminists want to force men to be Real Manly Men” is one of the oddest reversals I’ve seen in a while. Huh?

Misha
Misha

cassandrakitty, sorry, that was just my mock-take on the tweet (I figured person writing it was probably coming at it from a Confused Commenters About Feminism angle).

Oh wait, did you mean my reversal or theirs?