#gamergate a voice for men antifeminism antifeminist women FemRAs gullibility judgybitch MRA oppressed men post contains jokes post contains sarcasm straw feminists

Men's Rights Activists: Most gullible people in the world, or most gullible people in the universe?

If you believe this, a career in Men's Rights Activism might be for you!
If you believe this, a career in Men’s Rights Activism might be for you!

So I was idly perusing Janet “JudgyBitch” Bloomfield’s Twitter yesterday, and I came across an alarming tweet. It seemed as though Bloomfield had somehow penetrated the 47 levels of security protecting the Feminist HIgh Council to discover incontrovertible evidence of Operation Wicked Succubus. You know, the feminist plan to eliminate all men (except for me).

Her followers were aghast:

jbkillmen1jbkillallmen2

And naturally one of them brought up #GamerGate.

jbkillallmen4

There were a few others, but you get the idea.

It never occurred to any of them to, you know, try to find out just who the bald man advocating killing all men was. Or who exactly he was talking to.

So I decided to do some serious investigative journalism to see what I could uncover. I typed out “‘eliminate men as a gender’ security” into a little known internet “search engine” called Google, and boldly clicked on the first result.

elimmen

This led me to a Tweet with a URL in it. Bravely, I clicked on that URL and found myself looking at a video of a presentation at something called Monitorama PDX 2014 — clearly the code name for one of the Feminist Conspiracy’s conventions.

I looked it up in Google and discovered a web page for the event, which had been held in May. It was described as an “An Open Source Monitoring Conference & Hackathon.”

Ah, clearly a clever Feminist code name.

And then I decided to look up the name of the speaker: James Mickens. Turns out the guy works at Microsoft, one of the companies at the center of the Misandrist Conspiracy. Mickens is also the author of a number of papers, with titles like “Pivot: Fast, Synchronous Mashup Isolation Using Generator Chains” and “Mugshot: Deterministic Capture and Replay for JavaScript Applications.”

Obviously, some high level feminist theorizing.

Then I decided to watch the video. And I was shocked!

Because it wasn’t a speech about killing all men after all. It wasn’t even a feminist speech. No, it seemed instead to be a highly technical talk about internet security issues, illustrated with a lot of silly slides. Like this:

mickensmapreduce

And this:

mickensindexkidcryingcookies

I must confess that I didn’t get the overwhelming majority of his jokes. But he audience seemed to find these slides, and much of what he said, hilarious. So if you ever need to hire a comedian who can joke about Synchronous Mashup Isolation Using Generator Chains, Mickens is your guy.

So where does the whole “kill all men” thing come from?

Well, I skipped ahead a bit in the video until I found a section in which Mickens talked about the dumb things people do that can undermine even the most sophisticated security setup.

His example: gullible, horny men who are tricked into “friending” hackers on Facebook posing as hot babes — even when there are pretty obvious indications that the hot babes aren’t really hot babes at all.

Things like: saying they graduated from Central University, even though there is no school by that name in the US, or spelling the name of their profession wrong.

mickensmary

These are all good clues, he said, that the hot babe you just friended on facebook was really this guy:

mickensmaryhacker

Given that men are regularly duped with simple tricks that play on their horniness and gullibility, Mickens joked, maybe the real goal for people trying to design secure systems should be the elimination of all men.

mickenseliminatemen

So that’s where the slide comes from.

And by the way, that whole bit of his killed — not as in “killed all men” but as in “got giant laughs from the mostly male audience.” Expecially the part about killing all men.

If you want to see the whole bit, starting with Mary and ending with “eliminate men as a gender,” it starts at around 20:40 in the video.

Men’s Rights Activists: more gullible than guys who friend Mary from Central University on Facebook.

NOTE TO EXTREMELY LITERAL-MINDED MRAS: That bit about the feminist plot to kill all men (except me) at the start of this post was a joke. Feminists don’t really intend to kill all men (except me).

Or do they?

Chockanga

“BUT THERE IS NO MISOGYNY IN GAMING.”

I never said that.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Ewwww! I’m all through with this creepy d00d.

Chockanga

“That hardly comports with your claim that Tfoots career is yelling at women on youtube”

Yelling and threatening are two very different things.

Policy of Madness

I AM arguing this for both the MRAs and Thunderfoot.

That’s weird, because you only seem to bring up the MRAs to say how you’re actually not trying to defend them because they are legit terrible.

I’m simply saying that since some of them are actually connected to violent threats I can understand where Futrelle was coming from, even though I don’t approve his choice.

HEY Y’ALL! Chockanga thinks it’s not okay to associate people who are connected with violent threats to other people who are connected to similar violent threats! I hope we can all take this important information and think deeply about our life choices!

It’s a bit like condemning the actions of the protagonist of Death Wish when he kills the friends of the men who raped his daughter, while understanding his motivations.

I have no idea what you’re talking about here, but that’s not important because this next part is fucking priceless.

To keep the metaphor going, Thunderfoot is an innocent bystander who just happened to hang around them once and was killed by the vigilante anyway, because he thought he was a friend of the rapists, too.

HEY Y’ALL! Mentioning Thunderf00t in a blog post once is exactly like murdering him! Now we all seriously and for reals need to repent our internety ways and see the light, in which everyone is washed clean in the blood of Thunderf00t every 30 seconds, and therefore can never be held accountable for anything they say, ever, Amen.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

kittehserf - MOD

19!

Chockanga

“HEY Y’ALL! Mentioning Thunderf00t in a blog post once is exactly like murdering him!”

Yes, that’s exactly what metaphor means.

Chockanga

“Christ. Not a fan of MRAs, so he’ll just not focus on them. Not a fan of thunderf00t and thinks he’s extremely petty, yet he won’t shut up about him.”

I may think he’s petty but I still don’t want to see him being associated with criminals.

SittieKitty

It’s possible that thunderfoot might not know about the full extent of the harassment. It’s unlikely, but I give him the benefit of the doubt. The MRAs seem more aware of their own actions.

Really? Lol, really?? You honestly think he doesn’t know the full extent? That he’s following Anita with such a close eye on all her stuff and doesn’t listen to her talk about the harassment? That’s not just benefit of the doubt, dude. That’s waaaay beyond benefit of the doubt.

It also didn’t answer my question.

Does being such a vocal supporter of GamerGate not contribute to the culture of harassment surrounding the movement? Especially when GamerGate has been (almost exclusively) associated with harassment and misogyny?

I mean, even if we give you the (frankly ludicrous) idea that he doesn’t know the full extent of the harassment, that doesn’t excuse him contributing to it. And actually, now that I think about it, doesn’t it make it worse if he’s being so vocal about a movement and doesn’t know anything about it? Because that’s been practically all the media coverage on it, about how horrible the harassment has been… That’s just negligent…

@kirbywarp +1. Yes. It’s something that’s shockingly ignored. It’s something added because people were like “Oh, obviously enough people are going to want to do this that we should add it to our game!” People don’t add fringe things to their games as easter eggs, they obviously believed that there was a large enough market for it. Easter eggs like the achievements “bonus” that Anita points out (for either hitman or other games like Red Dad Redemption) reinforce the idea that this is “just a little naughty”, instead of appalling and horrific.

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

(20)

cassandrakitty

Nope, still don’t care. In fact is there a way the mods can just remove any comments where boring dude mentions Thunderfoot? Because it’s pretty off topic, and I think several hours of derail is more than enough.

contrapangloss

Another assignment graded and entered! And back into the fray for a few brief moments, then I must swoop back off to attempt and grade another assignment. NEVER ENDING CYCLE OF HOMEWORK!

Anyway, troll boy is still here?

Dude? Didn’t you say you had other stuff to do a couple hours ago?

Seriously! Your flounce score might have just beaten the all time record low for failures to stick.

Chockanga

The point is that since I defend someone you think I’m necessarily on their side. This isn’t true. Voltaire said once “I do not agree with what you have to say, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it”. I can paraphrase this maxim. I live by “I dislike your opinions, but I’ll defend your right not be associated with criminals”.

kittehserf - MOD

I’ve dropped David a line about this one. Not only does he smell of sock, but he’s terminally boring.

weirwoodtreehugger

Oh. Chock full of boring is still here?

This might be a good time for a TMI kind of question. When I’m out in the cold (not even that cold, about 50 f°), my nipples get really sore. Does that happen to anyone else? Does anyone know why that would be?

Policy of Madness

Yes, that’s exactly what metaphor means.

You are so stupid. If Thunderf00t were actually an innocent bystander, he would have never mentioned Sarkeeeeeeeesian at all, and he certainly wouldn’t be hammering away at her like an obsessed stalker every couple of days. He would just be some youtuber who, I dunno, talks about creationists or some shit.

But Thunderf00t is not an innocent bystander. He is like those pro-lifers who say every day how terrible this one abortion doctor is and how he is a murderer and how God hates this doctor and how the doctor is going to hell, and goes on and on and on about this one doctor over and over, and then acts surprised when someone goes and bombs that doctor’s clinic.

cassandrakitty

If nipples stay hard for too long that can get uncomfortable? That’s all I’ve got. If it’s that a more padded bra might help.

grumpyoldnurse
grumpyoldnurse

@ WWTH – TMI reply – it used to happen when I was lactating! It kind of felt like letdown reflex to me, so I just assumed the cold had made the nips pucker and they over did it.

Chockanga

“He is like those pro-lifers who say every day how terrible this one abortion doctor is and how he is a murderer and how God hates this doctor and how the doctor is going to hell, and goes on and on and on about this one doctor over and over, and then acts surprised when someone goes and bombs that doctor’s clinic.”

If this is what you really believe, there’s no purpose in carrying on this conversation.

Policy of Madness

Yes, I live in reality, thank you for inquiring.

cassandrakitty

We all agree that there’s no point having a conversation with you, dude. In fact I told you so hours ago. Begone.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Not only has the conclusion been reached before in the exact same way, but it has been true since the beginning without the need for the predicate.

kittehserf - MOD

A filter, now that would be fun … but David would have to do it, I don’t think it comes at editor level access.

SittieKitty

Re: nipple pain during cold and breastfeeding (because I know all the things! about nipples)

This is a pretty common thing.

SittieKitty

kittehserf - MOD

WWTH – yeah, that painful cold thing happens to me, though very rarely. No idea why.

kittehserf - MOD

Policy of Madness

Words mean things. Words have consequences. Actions have consequences. Making pictures of Congressional representatives with crosshairs over their faces has consequences. Telling huge groups of people, some of whom will have violent tendencies – because it’s the fucking truth that huge groups of people contain all types including violent types – inflammatory things about a specific, identified individual with the intention of inciting hatred against that individual has consequences.

Maybe Chockanga wants to pretend this isn’t the case. Maybe Chockanga thinks that all words are just meaningless noises, like birds chirping, that sort of disappear into the air without making any kind of a mark. This is not a position grounded in reality.

So fuck the hell off, Chockanga, and take your poorly-reasoned bullshit with you.

hellkell
hellkell

fuck off, Chockanga.

lordpabu
lordpabu

Dammit, Policy of Madness! You beat me to that pro-life comparison! I was just about to make it as well because it’s so damn perfect!

Really though Chockanga (if you’re still around), do you actually think that those pro-life people who were calling for the death of doctors who perform abortions weren’t even the tiniest bit responsible when someone else bombed the clinic in response to that toxic vitriol? Or are they responsible just because they happen to be part of the same movement as the bomber, but wouldn’t be responsible if they had said the same shit but were actually members of Stormfront? Really. I want to know precisely where you stand on this. You seem to be having trouble committing to your own stance.

kittehserf - MOD

cassandrakitty

BTW, if you’re thinking that it’s almost morning in Switzerland so you’ll just go to bed and then come back to poop in this thread some more tomorrow? Don’t.

@lordpabu

Sorry not sorry!

hellkell
hellkell

weirwoodtreehugger

Yeah, comparing Thundfoot to Billy O’Reilly and his obsession with George “the baby killer” Tiller is a good one. Legally, it is not enough for O’Reilly to be held responsible for Tiller’s murder, but to pretend he didn’t contribute to the murder at all by riling up the religious right is ridiculous.

kittehserf - MOD

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

Don’t forget Sarah Palin and Gabby Giffords.

cassandrakitty

Alternate title – Cats with Murder In Their Eyes.

pallygirl
pallygirl

Hooray, I slept through that boring troll. But I got to watch a John Oliver video I didn’t know about (dude, how could you use dogs and not cats!) and see a calendar that has not given me ideas because I appreciate having all my skin attached.

I see that the Swiss school system, if he was really from there, is just as bad as teaching critical thinking as a skill as school systems in other countries.

Shut up Woody.

cassandrakitty

Ooh, did you just wake up? Go check the thread with the title starting with Ladies. Apparently sperm banks are the feminazi Final Solution.

weirwoodtreehugger

I would have loved a kitty supreme court. We all know they make all the final decisions and the rulings are final.

However, I can’t imagine they would have been able to get cats to behave long enough to make that video.

Catalpa
Catalpa

People contribute to the culture around them. If they make material that supports current attitudes that are generally oppressive and harmful to many people, then, yes, they are morally if not legally responsible in some small part for the harm that befalls the people marginalized by these notions.

For example, the shooting of Micheal Brown. Darren Wilson is the one who is responsible for murdering the young man, no one else pulled the trigger. However, pervasive racist attitudes throughout the US contributed to the atmosphere that made Darren Wilson feel as though he was justified in gunning Micheal Brown down.

Further, following the murder, some people released information suggesting that Micheal Brown had stolen from a convenience store prior to the shooting. They did not specifically say that Micheal Brown should have been shot for this, but the dessemination of this information fed into the narrative of black men being criminals and thugs and reduced the outcry and sympathy regarding this murder, despite the fact that stealing is not a crime punishable by death in the US and that Darren Wilson in fact had no knowledge of the events in the convenience store prior to the shooting, so it has absolutely nothing to do with the case whatsoever.

The people who released and promoted this information are morally, if not legally, contributing to the obstructing justice and upholding harmful notions inherent in our society, that lead to these crimes being committed.

Same goes for thunderf00t and all other GG supporters. In vitriolically attempting to point out every single factual misstatement said by Sarkeesian or any of the other targets, they reduce these women to being deserving of whatever harassment and abuse and threats that comes their way, even if the punishment in no way fits the ‘crime’.’

So, yes, troll, thunderf00t and so many others are contributing to a culture that supports harassing women and sending them death threats and I will hold them responsible for this.

Catalpa
Catalpa

*obstruction of justice

pallygirl
pallygirl

Except they don’t concern themselves with trying to point out factual misstatements. They say things like she doesn’t know what she’s talking about, she’s stupid, etc, but they don’t actually establish – factually – the counterpoint to what she says. Which means all the Chunderf00l videos are insult without argument, plus classic ad hominem (“she’s not a real gamer/she lied about being a gamer so she’s wrong”).

I LOL’d at the sperm banks bit in the other thread. Wouldn’t the requirement for women to use spermbanks mean that the serious men’s rights issues of spermjacking and welfare queens (there are no men on welfare) would cease to be “problems”?

Catalpa
Catalpa

^ Well, yes. I giving the detractors far more credit than they deserved with that bit.

Misha
Misha

Arrgh, I went to bed and missed everything! This,

I think it’s always wrong to associate people with criminals on the basis of a common ideology and some linguistic similarities.

and this

and the butchering of the Voltaire quote? The complete lack of irony in his use of “I’ll defend to death your right to say it” to argue that someone should not be given the right to say that Thunderf00t may be contributing to a toxic culture culminating in harassment and death threats? The backtracking, the refusal to grasp context, the worst grasp of ethics I’ve ever seen?

Boo. Oh well, at least from this it seems the GGers are now being released into the wild to harass non-game, non-journalist communities with their own very special brand of Ethical Arguments I Found In A Christmas Cracker: Beginner’s Edition.

Kootiepatra
Kootiepatra

Wow, if it weren’t for the extremely enlightening troll, I’d never have imagined that “ethics” simply means “behavior I approve of”, or that “doxxing” means “mentioning someone’s basic public identity when talking about them”.

What an educational morning it’s been.