#gamergate

Storify Time: #GamerGate-rs with ugly histories of harassment, and more amazing stuff from the Tweeter

Via @lawblob on Twitter
Via @lawblob on Twitter

There’s a lot of really good stuff about the whole #GamerGate fiasco on Twitter. Here are several excellent collections of Tweets that have helpfully been put into Storify form for easy reading.

The He-Man #gamergate-rs Club. A collection of Tweets from @a_man_in_black showing that #GamerGate just the latest, if the most virulent, “outburst of a larger misogynist movement going back years.” He looks at the sordid histories of a number of current #GamerGaters and finds that many have been involved in misogynistic and transphobic harassment for years.

The most startling discovery: The creator of the “Beat Up Anita Sarkeesian” game you may recall from two years ago … well, he still hates Sarkeesian, only now he’s a #GamerGater who pretends that he’s against harassment.

Click on that Tweet to see more from @a_man_in_black on Bendilin.

For still more on the background of some of the worst in the #GamerGate movement, check out The Bad Apples of #GamerGate on Medium. Also essential reading. You’ll notice some familiar names on the list.

@EffNOVideoGames has put together an amazing account of the origins of #GamerGate, poiting out that the “movement” has always been about spin. Deftly rebuts the notion that #GamerGate is about “ethics,” and provides numerous screenshots offering clear proof of the misogyny that’s been there from the start.

Oh, and if you want to see how serious #GamerGaters are about actually fighting harassment in their movement  — which always seems to be the fault of a few “bad apples” — check out what happened when  asked them to show their sincerity by donating money to help the women who’ve been harassed by these “bad apples.” SPOILER ALERT: What happened was a lot of victim blaming and “false flag”-crying and not one penny donated — even when Todd suggested that even if they hated Anita and Zoe and the rest, donating money to then would at least make them look less like the unrepentant woman-haters they are.

Another chilling read: “There is no Virtue Without Terror” On the Ethical Landscape of GamerGate by Katherine Cross (@Quinnae_Moon on Twitter), a researcher of online harassment who has drawn the ire of the #GamerGate crowd.

She reflects on the decidedly mixed performance of the media in all of this, and a bit on her thoughts what it means for her as an academic studying gender, in another set of Storified Tweets, Katherine Cross on the effects of GamerGate.

If you’re on Twitter, and trying to keep up with #GamerGate, I’d highly recommend following @a_man_in_black, @EffNOVideoGames, and @Quinnae_Moon, as well as the excellent @srhbutts.

And of course you need to follow @TheQuinnspiracy (that is, Zoe Quinn) and her dude @alexlifschitz.

H/T — @lawblob for the pic at the top.

Robert
Robert

I think the Gaters are beginning to notice how many NORPs* actually disagree with them. It seems to be annoying them.

*Slang acronym for Normal Ordinary Responsible Person.

Dennis Jernberg (@dennis_jernberg)

And I can confidently predict, judging by the many right-wing examples I’ve become familiar with over the years (the list would be too tl;dr to go over), that when it finally sinks through the Gaters’ thick skulls that the NORPs are not on their side, they’ll declare the NORPs (read: non-Gaters) nothing but a pack of running dogs for the Evil SJW Conspiracy. The evangelical background I have fortunately long since outgrown taught me that if you’re not with Jesus, you’re with the Devil. When the Gaters turn on the NORPs, it’ll be glaringly obvious just how much their mentality has in common with cults.

ryeash

Don’t mean to burst in here, but anyone in need of brain bleach check out @weirdwoods, my Twitter page. I am arguing with every gater who responds to my posts solely by AutoFill (except for one I felt kind of bad for because I found him arguing with a bot and started making him argue with AutoFill instead, so I told him I’d legitimately argue with him for being such a good sport). It’s pretty great so far.

Hyatt
Hyatt

Another irony:

SJW culture is a cult. Just look at their weird terminology and how they other and unperson opponents! Let us deprogram you and show you how everything is a vast conspiracy against us and learn to call any woman who speaks out against attacks as Literally Who, because they don’t deserve individual names.

ktrantingredhead

Everything they say can be boiled down to two statements:

1. Derpderpderp I hate women derpderpderp
2. No, YOU are.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

@ktrantingredhead

“derp” is an incredibly offensive term. Could you not use it?

ktrantingredhead

No, YOU’re an offensive term.

ktrantingredhead

(Unless you are serious? I’ve honestly never heard anyone say that “derp” is offensive. I’ve always though of it like “duh.”)

zoon echon logon
zoon echon logon

“Some of my best friends are…” (and this time I even invented ‘em, so there, gotcha SJWs!!!)

SJWs claim to be all about “equality,” but they show shocking prejudice against Imaginary Persons, dismissing their viewpoints just because they’re “not real.”

Check your ontological privilege. Just because someone’s made up doesn’t mean they’re not a human being!*

*Well, minus the “being” part.

Bina
Bina

Rumor has it that if you stand in front of the White House and yell “BENGHAZI” three times, Dubya will appear.

Rumor has it, also, that if you stand in front of a game console and yell “ZOE QUINN” three times, all the feminists questioning GamerGate will disappear.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

@ktrantingredhead

It’s commonly used to mock people with mental disabilities (and as far as I know this is its original purpose). So, yeah, I’m serious. I’d really appreciate it if you wouldn’t use it.

ktrantingredhead

Oh…huh…well thanks for letting me know. I’ve honestly never heard that before.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I’m willing to be wrong on this.

ktrantingredhead

I can see where people would take it that way (or where people would use it that way). I just stole it from South Park where the new chef named Mr. Derp was really dumb and annoying and trying really hard to be cool.

Johanna Roberts

@ktraningredhead Taking something from a South Park episode almost never ends well. <__<

ktrantingredhead

Haha, I disagree! I’m a big fan of South Park….well most of it. They’ve had a handful of stinkers I never liked, but overall I really enjoy it.

Bina
Bina

Nothing in there about mental disabilities. Just garden-variety blunders and stoopid.

Alex M
Alex M

Speaking of South Park, one tragic thing I read somewhere was somebody predicting a possible future episode where Wendy says something about video games, prompting Cartman to start his own GamerGate movement specifically to harass her. I imagine it will completely miss every single point possible and fuel the “arguments” of abusive assholes for years to come.

ktrantingredhead

Well, I don’t want to hijack the thread over it, but thanks everybody for your thoughts! One thing we can all agree on: GamerGaters suck!

ktrantingredhead

#notallgamergaters
-dies-

Dennis Jernberg (@dennis_jernberg)

@zoon echon logon: Maybe I should have put that inside the quotes, since I was trying to mock such attitudes. Also, I left out the “1”, as in “!!!1one”. (I hate not being able to edit comments.) Well then, to sum it up another way:

moustache-twirling villain GamerGater: “I got you now, you evil false-flagging femmunist SJW running dogs!” *called out by #StopGamerGate2014* “Derp!” *flees to man cave*

Dennis Jernberg (@dennis_jernberg)

I wouldn’t be surprised.

#notallgamergaters
-dies-

*rolls eyes* I wouldn’t be surprised…

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

Re: Derp: The only disability that I’m aware of it being used to poke fun at is physical, not mental – strabismus – and I personally like calling my own strabismus “Derpface” because I have a self-deprecating sense of humour and it amuses me. I mean, I won’t use it around people who find it offensive, but yeah, if people do use it as a slur against the mentally disabled, it’s rare enough that I’ve never seen it.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

It must just be my circle of acquaintances, then. Sorry!

Alex M
Alex M

As I’ve seen it, “derp” is usually the go-to word to plaster on pictures of people with Down syndrome. I’m pretty sure it comes from Something Awful.

A Wolverine
A Wolverine

Those shits shouldnt be allowed on the internet on anything faster than a 1982 vintage modem at minimum

Jail would be good too

strivingally

Another GG-related storify showing them for the shitlords they are:

When the GamerGate mob targeted Anil Dash for no reason.

My goodness, Mike Cernovich is disgustingly amoral.

Kakanian
Kakanian

This isn’t exactly surprising. They’ve been targeting people who got nothing to do with their alleged grievance from the very start after all.

strivingally

Cernovich is the guy currently trying to re-dox Zoe Quinn and justifying it with lots of gross “Frist Amendment! It’s not illegal!” blah. As if collating a bunch of personal info you have to trawl through court documents to get and then putting it in front of a mob who already hates her isn’t a thoroughly reprehensible thing to do.

And today’s news from the Tweet-argh? Jesse Singal wrote this Boston Globe article a month ago, talking about how GamerGate was wrapped up in a bunch of insecurity amongst gamers and resistance to the industry changing. Predictably, the Gators lost their shit and have been yelling at him in no uncertain terms that he did a shitty job of investigating his story and he should take a closer look at what GamerGate REALLY stands for.

So he did. Guess what? He discovered it’s mostly hatred of feminism and “social justice warriors”. This is using the sources they told him to look at. He also does a good job at that link explaining why any journalist worth their pencil isn’t going to fall for half of the self-serving GG talking points, and that doesn’t make them “anti-gamer” or “SJW shills” – just observant and well-schooled in looking past bullshit window dressing.

strivingally

On a lighter note, Zoe Quinn tweeted this earlier today:
comment image

How she’s keeping her sense of humour through all this garbage I’ll never know.

talbotfish
talbotfish
Reply to  itsabeast

-itsabeast “I don’t get it–why would Paul Elam be a turn-off to gators?” The attempted sanitizing of AVFM website of the unbelievably hateful and violent things Paul Elam has written about women isn’t being done for GGate..but part of a larger smokescreen that frankly David has documented, on this site, far more eloquently than I can summarize…If you just search this site you can find it.

GrumpyOldMan

As a further elucidation of “derp”, I offer the following from Paul Krugman, the Nobel Prize winning liberal economist.

I gather that some readers were puzzled by my use of the term “derp” with regard to peddlers of inflation paranoia, even though I’ve used it quite a lot. So maybe it’s time to revisit the concept; among other things, once you understand the problem of derpitude, you understand why I write the way I do (and why the Asnesses of this world whine so much.)

Josh Barro brought derp into economic discussion, and many of us immediately realized that this was a term we’d been needing all along. As Noah Smith explained, what it means — at least in this context — is a determined belief in some economic doctrine that is completely unmovable by evidence. And there’s a lot of that going around.

Apparently “derp” is becoming a widely-used term for various forms of stupidity. I can see where the various forms of “stupid” might be regarded as ableist, but the Mammotheer consensus seems to be that they are acceptable.