#gamergate a woman is always to blame advocacy of violence antifeminism grandiosity men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny oppressed men sarkeesian! sympathy for murderers taking pleasure in women's pain terrorism threats video games

Anita Sarkeesian Cancels Talk at Utah State After Receiving Threat of Another "Montreal Massacre." [UPDATED with more info from Sarkeesian]

sarkscreenshot

Utah State University has just announced that Anita Sarkeesian has canceled a talk she was scheduled to give at the school tomorrow after receiving a threat of a “Montreal Massacre-style attack” by someone promising ““the deadliest school shooting in American history” if the cultural critic was allowed to speak.

Here’s the official announcement:

Anita Sarkeesian has canceled her scheduled speech for tomorrow following a discussion with Utah State University police regarding an email threat that was sent to Utah State University. During the discussion, Sarkeesian asked if weapons will be permitted at the speaking venue. Sarkeesian was informed that, in accordance with the State of Utah law regarding the carrying of firearms, if a person has a valid concealed firearm permit and is carrying a weapon, they are permitted to have it at the venue.

Emphasis added. That’s right: the school received threats from someone promising to shoot people at a public event, but because of Utah’s gun laws, authorities would not be able to prohibit audience members from BRINGING GUNS to the talk.

Before learning that this was the case, Sarkeesian — after consulting with authorities — had planned to go ahead with the talk. As a spokesman for the school told the Standard Examiner, a northern Utah newspaper:

“They determined the threat seems to be consistent with ones (Sarkeesian) has received at other places around the nation. … The threat we received is not out of the norm for (this woman).”

The email threat came from someone who claimed that “feminists have ruined my life and I will have my revenge, for my sake and the sake of all the others they’ve wronged.”

The email, sent to several campus officials and posted online by the Standard Examiner, warned:

If you do not cancel [Sarkeesian’s] talk, a Montreal Massacre style attack will be carried out against the attendees, as well as students and staff at the nearby women’s center. I have at my disposal a semi-automatic rifle, multiple pistols, and a collection of pipe bombs. This will be the deadliest school shooting in American history and I’m giving you a chance to stop it.

The email writer claimed that even if authorities manage to stop him from an attack at the event,

There are plenty of feminists on campus who won;t be able to defend themselves. One way or another, I’m going to make sure they die. …

Anita Sarkeesian is everything wrong with the feminist woman, and she is going to die screaming like the craven little whore that she is if you let her come to USU. I will write my manifesto in her spilled blood, and you will all bear witness to what feminist lies and poison have done to the men of America.

All this because she made some videos discussing sexism in fucking video games.

Here’s a screenshot of the full email, from the Standard Examiner site:

Screenshot posted by the Standard Examiner
Screenshot posted by the Standard Examiner

I’m speechless. What the fuck is wrong with these people?

NOTE: This is a NO TROLLS, NO MRAS, NO GAMERGATERS, NO VICTIM BLAMER thread. I will delete comments and ban people who do not respect the rules.

UPDATE: Sarkeesian has provied more details on Twitter; there were multiple threats, including one that specifically referred to GamerGate

Jarred H

Daeran, some things do not need nor deserve an explanation. Just acknowledge it was an awful statement and move on.

Daeran Zemaitis
Daeran Zemaitis

Understood, it was a terrible, terrible thing to say and I’m sorry, once again.

maistrechat

This is almost too much for me to handle. I was unfortunately already aware of the Utah situation, as a Facebook acquaintance has been fairly zealous in arguing that “no gun” signs at businesses aren’t legally enforceable and encouraging people to carry there. (That’s not true in Illinois – when we were finally forced to pass a concealed carry law they made sure there were provisions enabling businesses to ban carrying on their premises)

This is incredibly disheartening.

weirwoodtreehugger

One thing that bothers me about the gun fellator crowd is that they (by design I’m sure) refuse to acknowledge that these rights only apply to certain segments of the population. White open carry activists in Texas can wander around with their guns displayed and nothing happens. They don’t get arrested. They don’t even get bothered by cops. Meanwhile, a black man holds a bb gun that is being sold at Wal-Mart in a Wal-Mart and gets executed by the cops without a peep from the gun fetishist crowd. They claim that the 2nd amendment is so sacred even though they clearly haven’t read and comprehended it or learned the history behind it. Yet they only want white people to have these supposedly sacred rights. Can you imagine what they would have said if Trayvon Martin had been carrying a gun, even a legal one, instead of just skittles and iced tea?

Sarah
Sarah

Anyway even if it didn’t have so much racism and classism embedded, to non-USians all that obsession with the sacred human right of carrying a firearm no matter what is a really strange form of fetishism.

indifferentsky

tinyorc RE stinkbombs.

Wow, I never thought of that. My goodness. That is my thought of the day, thank you very much.

beegees
beegees

@Daeran, out of all the feminist outrage that I’ve heard over this you are *literally* the only feminist I’ve heard that advocated fighting fire with fire. Excuse me if I think that you’re a false flag and that you’re only walking back to cover your tracks and not look so obvious.

These men/women don’t need violence; they’re not any more likely to stop in the face of violence than we are. What they need, and what they fear, is social irrelevance, social powerlessness. Violence won’t take their power away, but great numbers of men and women standing together and denouncing them does. Just… go away from feminism if you’re going to suggest violence. No explanations, just be quiet. You’re batting for the other team.

I’ve already expressed my outrage at the school letting terrorists win in the other thread. It would be very difficult for my broke ass to leave my children and get across the country to physically protest this, but I wish I could. Even if you hate Anita and all that she stands for, this is just appalling from a human rights/free speech stand point.

Daeran Zemaitis
Daeran Zemaitis

“wwth, yeah, it’s pretty much assumed that all these “rights” to carry weapons are white-people only (possibly also to protect themselves from scary dark-skinned threats?).”

This is absolutely true. In fact, it’s a sad fact of history that the first gun control laws were specifically targeted at black slaves, then black freemen.

Also, as crazy as Utah’s gun laws are, even if he couldn’t have carried on campus, I’m not sure if they would have helped in THIS case (and please do not take this as me arguing that gun laws should be loosened because they don’t always work) because this guy seemed fucking intent on killing women, any women if the talk went ahead, which is absolutely terrifying. With such a real, credible threat like that, they had no choice; you would have needed Presidential level security to pull it off without any casualties and even then, it would have been dicey. It is REALLY hard to stop a determined killer from finding an opening to cause havoc, especially when he’s willing to die to maximize the amount of havoc, which this guy might ahve been.

weirwoodtreehugger

Let’s also not forget the right wing saint Ronald Reagan put gun control laws in place in response to fears of the Black Panthers when he was governor of California. For some reason the gun nuts don’t hate him for that. I wonder why!? Oh wait, no I don’t wonder why at all.

Elektra Kenway

Like I said before, please beware of fake social media accounts of trolls that claim to be:

– Supposedly women who support and/or defend “GamerGate”,

I’m finding imposers everywhere that try to confuse people who was maybe not up-to-date with this or are just finding out.

They seek to twist, manipulate, confuse, divide and destroy, much like “Operation Lollipop”.

weirwoodtreehugger

Omg. This conversation I had on Kotaku is too hilarious not to share. I wonder if this person is secretly Janet Bloomfield. Or are there two people who invent fake quotes to try and prove a point? http://kotaku.com/i-was-using-south-park-as-an-example-instead-of-video-g-1646562802

M. Tremblay
M. Tremblay

Well, I guess this is as good a time as any to go ahead and delurk.

As a man who has lived in Montreal since I was born, I can tell you, would-be-mass-shooter, that no, Marc Lépine was most emphatically not a hero to anyone here in Montreal, and I dare say anywhere else that I know of. If anything, all he achieved was to strengthen anti-gun and feminist sentiments, at least here.

Welcome to the wrong side of history, would-be-mass-shooter. You are exactly where you deserve to be.

cloudiah

Welcome, M. Tremblay. I’m on my phone, so I can’t get you a Welcome Package, but hopefully someone else will.

WWTH, that person you responded to actually says this:

Really, the whole gamergate/sarkeesian/tumblr-feminism discussion is all about the lack of communication from all angles. No one can behave like adults, so we’re all trying to stop each other from speaking. It’s rather disgusting and we can only blame people like Sarkeesian and Quinn for it.

We can only blame the victims of massive, unrelenting campaigns to threaten, harass and intimidate them? I don’t think so.

Daeran Zemaitis
Daeran Zemaitis

b-but t-they doxed and harassed and sent death threats to themselves! I k-know because /v/ told me so!

Shaun DarthBatman Day

“– Supposedly feminists that insult everyone (especially men) and give a “man-hating” speech that misogynists hear in their heads.”

I will say something (it doesn’t matter what) and an MRA troll will mansplain feminism to me and call me a misandrist, so I agree with him, say “kill all men” and move on. Because why would I try to reason with that?

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

This is fucking awful. At times like these, I wish I was an ubercool hacker who could find the sender of the threat with my awesome hacking skills and report them to the police. This kind of blatant evil is horrifying.

As a side-note, I’m feeling really uncomfortable with the ableist remarks on this thread. I know this kind of behavior is really hard to understand if you’re a halfway decent human being, but there’s nothing about this that is “lunacy”, “insanity” or the like. There is nothing to indicate that the terrorist making the threats is “nuts” or “crazy”, or that people with mental health issues are known of doing shit like this. This is likely the work of a very calculating, rational person who is fully aware that threatening a large group of innocent people with violence is an effective method of getting your way (in the short term at least). He is probably completely sane. That’s what makes this kind of thing scary.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

This is why an armed society is not a polite society. I really detest that expression. In that context, “polite” means “not daring to express a dissenting opinion, lest you make a violent, trigger-happy bully feel bad”. It’s a completely fake form of polite.

An armed society isn’t a free society either. Why does the “right” to own a gun, intimidate others, and dictate what can and can’t be said override everyone else’s right to free expression? Why does the Second Amendment always trump the First Amendment?

Beyond that, it’s really disturbing that USU officials have basically admitted they can’t keep their own students safe, thanks to the concealed carry law. If tragedy does strike, they’re powerless to prevent it.

cloudiah

I’m way behind on comments, but if people are indeed throwing around “lunacy,” and “crazy” to explain these threats, I want to encourage you to read the Welcome Package that Shaun posted upthread (thanks, Shaun)–in it, I have the collected wisdom of a number of Mammotheers on why that is a very bad idea.

M. Tremblay
M. Tremblay

Ah! Sweet, sweet scented candles! Nothing goes with enslaving all men quite like the suave blend of patchouli and lavender. Thanks, Shaun!… Oh no! I revealed the whole plan! Retreat! RETREAT!

😀

HCK
HCK

I don’t know how to do fancy quote boxes, but I’m replying to:
Also the Utah police need to inform airports that concealed carry permit holders can go where they like with guns. It will be a wake up call for the TSA.

I don’t know the law specifically in this case (having worked in Residence Life, I’m more up on campus laws), but I’m willing to posit that Utah is likely a state where the concealed carrier can have the gun in the airport all the way up to the security line. There was a case in another state (Florida?) where someone was open carrying in the airport, and this was apparently well within his rights in that state. So concealed carrying with a permit in Utah is probably AOK.

Once they get to the security area, it’s federally regulated areas, so state laws don’t apply. Similarly, if there’s a Federal building in Utah, they can restrict gun carrying in stricter ways than Utah normally allows.

weirwoodtreehugger

I used the term gun nut. Usually, I prefer gun fellator or gun fetishist but the former term is so incredibly common I used it reflexively. Sorry about that.

CJ
CJ

I’m not a violent man. I don’t like violence for any reason. Still, I can’t help but think that if Utah gun laws allow the carrying of concealed weapons on college campuses isn’t there a distinct possibility that this jackass would pull out his gun only to have a bunch of people pull out theirs and turn him into something resembling hamburger? You’d expect him to realize that too, but we’re clearly not looking at a towering intellect here.

vaiyt

Aha, but if you have a gun, you can threaten the person who’s intimidating you right back.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Premeditated shooters typically go in with the assumption that they will be killed by the end of the spree. “Crime of passion” shooters aren’t thinking, period. The threat of someone else in the same venue having a gun is not a deterrent to any class of mass killer.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

And then you end up dead anyway, when they preemptively shoot you because they feel “threatened”.

Guns are never going to be an all-or-nothing proposition. Some people will have them, some won’t. Of the people who choose to carry, some will be more willing to use them than others. Others will become nervous and jumpy at the thought of being surrounded by guns. Arming as many people as possible seems like a recipe for increasing the odds of gun deaths. In the heat of the moment, when bullets start popping all over the place and panic sets in, it becomes really difficult to tell the perps apart from the good guys.

ktrantingredhead

So in other words, terrorism works.

deniseeliza
deniseeliza

3rding the comments about the use of descriptors like “insane” or “crazy” or “deranged”.

These people aren’t mentally ill. Hatred and dehumanization of “the enemy” is pretty banal. Distorting your enemy’s views in order to make it easier to hate and dehumanize them is also pretty banal. See: pretty much every war the U.S. has engaged in this century. See: the fact that there have been multiple such wars when the century is so young.

ktrantingredhead

I think if they were to move the talk to a private venue where a private business owner would have the authority to tell people what they can and cannot bring into their place of business perhaps this would still be on. The problem is, a public university is considered public property and is subject to whatever the local fire arm ordinances are, whether you like them or not. Is it asinine? Yes. Is it much more complicated than, “Theyre just stupid gun toting rednecks with no sense?” Also yes.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

He threatened pipe bombs. One would presume he’d detonate the pipe bomb(s) first then enter the area and mow down injured and confused survivors. High explosives, if he’d managed to craft or lay hands on such, would concuss people close enough to the blast for that, strong detonations can either knock you into things or knock you silly. They can and often will blow out an eardrum on that side of your head, messing up your sense of equilibrium. Presumably there would be smoke, possibly fire.

( hi to all my fans in the NSA and FBI, no, I’m not planning, just being logical)
( I’m going to get to second base with a TSA screener on Sunday, I think)

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

Short answer: people might be too discombobulated to return fire.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

Or at least to fight back effectively. Handguns are inaccurate in anything less than expert hands, even under the best circumstances and over relatively short distances.

indifferentsky

HCK
yes, I didn’t clarify, but I do know the difference between state and federal, what I’m thinking is that just because something is legal does not necessarily mean that it’s allowed in all spaces. I seriously doubt the law forces businesses and campuses to have certain policies. That’s what I meant and that’s outside of the state versus federal question.

indifferentsky

Part II…

My husband and I just went a Cabela’s the other day, and for those that don’t know it’s a big sporting goods store that has exhibits and taxidermy and such, it’s the quintessential hunting, fishing camping sport cave. When you walk in the doors there is a booth dead center and on the booth is a huge red sign that says FIREARMS CHECK IN. You check in your firearms. I don’t see any open carry assholes protesting that like they did whole foods. I would love to see them do that, and all the sporting and hunting people tell them off.

maistrechat
Reply to  indifferentsky

My favorite part about the open carry activists protesting Whole Foods is that John Mackey is an outspoken libertarian. But the business owner’s right to discriminate apparently only extends to religious, sexual, or ethnic minorities.

@ktrantingredhead
Not in Utah. In Utah even private businesses can’t prevent you from carrying.

freemage

CJ | October 15, 2014 at 1:47 pm

The problem is that a large number of those people will not have perfect aim, nor perfect knowledge of the situation. I’m sitting there with my gun in my holster, and I hear gunshots from behind me. I whip around and see someone three rows back holding a gun and shooting towards the back rows. What I don’t see is the fact that the original shooter just ducked behind the chairs–so I pull out my gun and shoot the perceived aggressor. Meanwhile, another guy is also opening fire, on the right person, but whoops–those back seats were pretty crowded. Innocent bystanders are now getting shot from two sides.

I think this actually is part of the reason that cityfolk are more inclined than countryfolk to be pro-control. Crowded spaces make for bad places for shootouts.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Another troll red flag is referring to Sarkeesian and Quinn by their first names. Do you know these women personally? No? Then use their family names just like you would for a man.

(Dude, you really suck at this pretending to be a feminist thing.)

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Back to the gun topic, I understand that parts of the US really love their guns and all, but why can’t private businesses and institutions make their own rules about what they’ll allow on their premises? The US loves property rights too, so you’d think there would be a way to leverage that to allow stores, universities and so on to keep guns out of any spaces that they manage.

freemage

Bah, finally got post gakked by the blockquote monster. Obviously, first paragraph in my last post was CJ’s, to which I was replying.

twincats
twincats

…but there’s nothing about this that is “lunacy”, “insanity” or the like. There is nothing to indicate that the terrorist making the threats is “nuts” or “crazy”, or that people with mental health issues are known of doing shit like this. This is likely the work of a very calculating, rational person who is fully aware that threatening a large group of innocent people with violence is an effective method of getting your way (in the short term at least).

And also get the cover of hiding behind any of the many flavors of a “they must be out of their mind” trope to mitigate any possible legal repercussions.

freemage

cassandrakitty: I can’t speak about the idea that private stores and such have no ability to regulate their shoppers’ desire to fondle their pistols while making their purchases. But the principle for public universities is different. It’s a double-edged sword–a publicly funded university is generally bound by the same rules that any other government agency is. This can be good in the case of preventing discrimination, for instance, but it is a downside when the state passes a law like this one without making a specific exemption for the schools.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

But why are people allowed to take guns into any government-owned space? Does this mean you’re allowed to take a rifle to the DMV and fondle it meaningfully if you feel like the person helping you isn’t being helpful enough?

I think this is one of these issues where no matter how long a Brit/European has lived here this is never going to make sense to us. I do know that it can’t just be about publicly owned institutions not being able to keep guns out, though, because I’ve seen those photos of smug white people shopping at Walmart with their rifles displayed as extra accessories right along with shoes and belt.

vaiyt

This idea assumes that the bad and good guys always carry their color-coded hats, and the good guys are faster on the draw.

Nova
Nova

I hope that I won’t be labled a gun fanatic, but I own and carry a handgun. I also have competition rifles and shoot them at gun ranges or in competition as often as I can. I enjoy it and it’s oddly relaxing. I also have a retired working dog, who’s essentially a highly trained attack dog curled up with his cats right now. I have personal reasons for wanting this kind of protection and it came in handy when one of my neighbors was terrorizing the building with a hunting knife. I had the little animals secured, my gun was trained on the door and my dog was at attention, waiting for a command to attack. I don’t fuck around when it comes to my safety, especially in my neighborhood.

Im also military trained and have years of competitive sharpshooting experience. In a crisis situation, such as a terrorist shooting up an auditorium, even I would be damn careful to draw and fire. There’s too much noise, too much confusion, too many people that could potentially cross the path of a bullet meant to hit the actual shooter, possibly mistaking another friendly for the attacker, etc. And the list really does go on and on. There’s all this chest beating bullshit that’s said in response to a threat like this, but it’s always by people who have no fucking clue what kind of pandemonium and chaos they’d be dealing with.

A simple ban of handguns at the event would just move the shooter to kill elsewhere. If the shooter wants to kill people, he (I’m assuming that the would be shooter is male, given the circumstances,) would simply target women elsewhere. I don’t know that there is a way to prevent this kind of thing from happening. Prosecution as a domestic terrorist might be a deterrent to some but a lot of those who think that shooting up an auditorium full of people to be rational or justified would probably enjoy the martyrdom and attention.

It’s sad, disturbing and vile on every level. I hope they get this asshole out of the general population and this doesnt inspire copycats.

teacat1

This is terrorism. There are simply no other words. I am upset that more people are not calling this what it clearly is.

I await with bated breath the news stories proclaiming that the FBI called his bluff and that he’ll be going to jail for a very long time.

If there were multiple threats with this level of detail, then multiply that by however many threats there were.

teacat1

RE: the courts having power over universities, you’d be surprised.

Apparently Iowa’s Supreme Court ruled, and was allowed to rule, that Iowa State University had to let an accused rapist (whose charges were eventually dropped – he is now suing the accuser) back on to the basketball team because his accuser’s testimony was allegedly inconsistent.

This happened despite the fact that their reasons for booting him came from what the university determined to be student-athlete code of conduct violations = not contingent on whether or not he actually raped the accuser, though that was certainly part of it.

The coach never put him back on the court (because why would he), despite a surprisingly small contingent of fans wanting him back, so he transferred to some other school after that season.

I don’t actually understand how that all worked, but my point is that apparently the public part of public universities means that they can be subject to a lot of weird bullshit.

becausescience
becausescience

There’s been an ongoing thing between open carry activists and pro gun control groups, with open carry people showing up in stores and restaurants armed with guns, and the gun control groups trying to put pressure on businesses to not allow guns on the premises. Starbucks was one of the businesses involved. Initially their stance was that they would defer to state laws: if a state allows open carry, then they would allow it in their stores, but then last year (I believe), they issued a statement asking customers not to bring guns into their stores. At one point, even the NRA issued a statement saying that the open carry people were making “gun rights” people look scary and dangerous by showing up armed to restaurants where people were just trying to eat, but then of course, the NRA walked the statement back the next day and said that it was an error, and that “of course, it’s good to bring your guns to restaurants and department stores and anywhere else, gosh darnit! It’s a really good thing!” (not their exact words, but you get the idea)

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

I’m hoping these threats are traceable back to an individual, and that he goes to jail.

It’s not just that some of these people might be inclined to violence by themselves, it is that the mutual online reinforcement and escalation will PROBABLY lead to violence sooner or later.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

FWIW, just because you can carry a semi-auto rifle to your local Wal-mart in Texas, it’s considered really tacky to walk around like that. This ain’t Somalia, y’all.