#gamergate a woman is always to blame advocacy of violence antifeminism grandiosity men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny oppressed men sarkeesian! sympathy for murderers taking pleasure in women's pain terrorism threats video games

Anita Sarkeesian Cancels Talk at Utah State After Receiving Threat of Another "Montreal Massacre." [UPDATED with more info from Sarkeesian]

sarkscreenshot

Utah State University has just announced that Anita Sarkeesian has canceled a talk she was scheduled to give at the school tomorrow after receiving a threat of a “Montreal Massacre-style attack” by someone promising ““the deadliest school shooting in American history” if the cultural critic was allowed to speak.

Here’s the official announcement:

Anita Sarkeesian has canceled her scheduled speech for tomorrow following a discussion with Utah State University police regarding an email threat that was sent to Utah State University. During the discussion, Sarkeesian asked if weapons will be permitted at the speaking venue. Sarkeesian was informed that, in accordance with the State of Utah law regarding the carrying of firearms, if a person has a valid concealed firearm permit and is carrying a weapon, they are permitted to have it at the venue.

Emphasis added. That’s right: the school received threats from someone promising to shoot people at a public event, but because of Utah’s gun laws, authorities would not be able to prohibit audience members from BRINGING GUNS to the talk.

Before learning that this was the case, Sarkeesian — after consulting with authorities — had planned to go ahead with the talk. As a spokesman for the school told the Standard Examiner, a northern Utah newspaper:

“They determined the threat seems to be consistent with ones (Sarkeesian) has received at other places around the nation. … The threat we received is not out of the norm for (this woman).”

The email threat came from someone who claimed that “feminists have ruined my life and I will have my revenge, for my sake and the sake of all the others they’ve wronged.”

The email, sent to several campus officials and posted online by the Standard Examiner, warned:

If you do not cancel [Sarkeesian’s] talk, a Montreal Massacre style attack will be carried out against the attendees, as well as students and staff at the nearby women’s center. I have at my disposal a semi-automatic rifle, multiple pistols, and a collection of pipe bombs. This will be the deadliest school shooting in American history and I’m giving you a chance to stop it.

The email writer claimed that even if authorities manage to stop him from an attack at the event,

There are plenty of feminists on campus who won;t be able to defend themselves. One way or another, I’m going to make sure they die. …

Anita Sarkeesian is everything wrong with the feminist woman, and she is going to die screaming like the craven little whore that she is if you let her come to USU. I will write my manifesto in her spilled blood, and you will all bear witness to what feminist lies and poison have done to the men of America.

All this because she made some videos discussing sexism in fucking video games.

Here’s a screenshot of the full email, from the Standard Examiner site:

Screenshot posted by the Standard Examiner
Screenshot posted by the Standard Examiner

I’m speechless. What the fuck is wrong with these people?

NOTE: This is a NO TROLLS, NO MRAS, NO GAMERGATERS, NO VICTIM BLAMER thread. I will delete comments and ban people who do not respect the rules.

UPDATE: Sarkeesian has provied more details on Twitter; there were multiple threats, including one that specifically referred to GamerGate

friday jones
friday jones

But it wouldn’t be a matter of the police stopping these guys from carrying guns, it would be campus employees restricting access to a specific event to those who aren’t carrying guns. Sort of like how concerts and festivals restrict access to paying customers who are not carrying jugs of wine, even though it’s legal to carry an unopened bottle of wine anywhere.

Also, how would a law like that operate in, say, the local courthouses? I suppose federal law protects airports, so why doesn’t the fact that federal matching funds and grants and loans are supporting the University protect the University from the Open Carry jackasses?

becausescience
becausescience

The terrorist is a University student, so just how exactly has feminism “ruined his life?”

I guarantee it’s some variation on attraction women having sex with the “wrong” guys instead of him, and not giving him the sex he felt he was entitled to.

Hopefully they catch him and he’ll be getting the prison cell he’s entitled to.

Belladonna993
Belladonna993

@friday

You may find this useful for answering many of your questions: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQ.html

A lot of this is awful, especially to me, as a resident of Utah, but a couple of things stand out. The first is about how the law is especially explicit in stating that people with concealed carry permits are absolutely allowed, by law, to carry a loaded gun into a public school of any type (and Utah State University qualifies as a public school).

The second thing is a bit more insidious:

What about private businesses? Can they post signs prohibiting someone from carrying a gun into their business even though the person has a concealed firearms permit?

Naturally, private property owners may apply whatever restrictions they want. Whether or not these restrictions violate one’s constitutional rights is for the civil courts to decide. But the only statutory restrictions on a permit holder are secured areas such as airports and federal buildings.

What this essentially says, to me, is that “private business owners” can post signs forbidding you to bring firearms into their establishments, and we won’t take responsibility for it and prosecute them, but you can also legally attempt to take your firearms in, anyway, and indeed, we encourage you to do so, get caught, and then bring a civil case against them.

Brian
Brian

Johanna Roberts: Thanks for mentioning the #StopGamerGate2014 hashtag. I hope it keeps trending. It’s way past time for something like this to surface.

Hyatt
Hyatt

Only semi-related, but I’d like to see more coverage of GamerGate’s conspiracy theories like Silverstring Media and how modern feminism is like a cult and based on cultural Marxism and such. I strongly suspect that it’s a goldmine for WTFery, and it’s harder to dismiss as “just a fringe element that doesn’t represent what GG is really about” when it’s openly part of their platform.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

People are confusing open carry with concealed carry. A license is required for concealed carry. In 2004 the law was changed so they cannot deny entry to a person with a concealed carry license. They are the ones who are supposed to protect us from the school shooters by turning a massacre into a gunfight. Utter madness.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Ninjas!!!

Tessa

Over on neogaf, someone posted a screenshot of how concerned for Anita Sarkeesian the posters at the 8chan Gamergate board are…

Anyone who thinks killing LW2,3 or Quinn is a good thing is clearly deranged. The collateral damage of such an event would kill GG at the very moment one of these ladies are killed in cold blood.

Personally I’m worried if they false flag and kill one of the less important SJWs. for example 3, shes’ only recently entered the fray and if she were to die we’d die too. Of course this is Alex Jones level crazy talk even though SJWs are rather extreme. Let’s hope this is only attention seeking as usual.

The callousness really freaks me out.

Belladonna993
Belladonna993

@Tessa

. . . kill one of the less important SJWs.

Jesus H., if it wasn’t clear that they’re judging us by their own truly horrific perceptions of the value of life, people, and the world before . . .

Dennis Jernberg (@dennis_jernberg)

Guess what? Somebody (calling himself “Moot” even) is trying to expand GamerGate to other media, starting with comics: http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?17784-We-need-a-movement-like-gamergate-in-comics&s=e908c238fdf0b8feb2697cb8ec93f7c7

Sure enough, he calls “social justice warriors” a “cancer” and makes a positive reference to right-wing actor Adam Baldwin. Fortunately, the saner members of the Comic Book Resources forum are calling him out.

This confirms my suspicion that GamerGate is just the first step in a right-wing attempt to take over the entire media.

Okay, I stand corrected. The result, unfortunately, is the same. And to think 20 years or so ago I was actually considering joining the NRA…

Drdg
Drdg

This all is just beyond my understanding. This kind of harassment and threats just because of several videos criticizing some aspects of video games? Some aspects. I just can`t.
I know that there are and have been people who advocate even total ban of the video games, did they receive similar threats?

Deoridhe Quandry

Wait…. they actually… what kind of fucking horrible human being would kill someone on their own side to make the other side look bad? That is horrifying beyond belief.

weirwoodtreehugger

It’s disgusting that their only concern if someone is murdered is that it will be bad PR for gamergate. I hope they all get wasp infestations in their homes.

Belladonna993
Belladonna993

This may be off-topic and not the right thread for this, but I just can’t stand not trying to put these thoughts out there somewhere, anywhere, anymore, so I am going to give it a go.

Even though the extreme factions in GamerGate are utterly horrifying, can I just say that the so-called “moderate” and “reasonable” factions are the ones that scare me almost more. Almost anyone with any degree of sanity can get on the boat when we argue from a point of “harassment and death threats are bad,” which is why I think the GGers tend to gain some traction on comment threads by pretending to support this position. On the other hand, from what I’ve seen, the more “moderate” argument they’re pretending to is that they just want games journalists to address things like game mechanics and playability. I think we need to start hitting these pretend moderates where it hurts, as well. In my opinion, no one (even these asshats) wants a review of, for instance, an RPG, that doesn’t address story elements of the game. Even dumbass FPSes like CoD and Halo have a semblance of “story.” The “moderate” elements are truly calling for story to only be addressed from a traditional male asshole point of view. They don’t care if reviewers discuss “story” a little bit. They only care if they critique the story from any “non-alpha-male” perspective. They truly almost bother me more than the horrific people making threats, only because the subtle misogyny in their message is getting lost beneath the furor of “you doxx, we doxx.”

Michael Lindsay

If a Muslim faction said anything like this in America they’d have the ATF booting down their doors in a heartbeat! It’s domestic terrorism.

Why do these MRA/Gamergate fucks get a free pass?

ej
ej

SJWs are extreme? I haven’t seen any feminists threatening events with guns and pipe bombs. I don’t think SJWs are the extreme ones in this situation.

I have to say, I was disappointed when I saw that Anita had canceled her talk…until I saw the reason why. Someone is threatening a public event with guns and pipe bombs, yet they can’t prevent people from carrying guns into the event? That is all kinds of messed up. I hate that she had give this entitled asshat what he wants, but Anita’s safety and the safety of those attending are way more important than making a point. She is incredibly brave for standing up to this harassment. I don’t know if I would be strong enough to give a talk where someone had specifically threatened to kill me.

strivingally

Sweet Invisible Pink Unicorn. This is fucked. They literally do not think of the people they hate as human. They are convinced that “SJWs” are the cause of the world’s problems, and they do not think of them as human.

They’ve coded several of their targets so they don’t even have to acknowledge their names. They are talking about killing a living human being as being a bad PR move. They are discussing strategy on the “other side” as if GG critics would be willing to kill a living human being to make themselves look good.

How do you even get so fucked up that any of this sounds even vaguely plausible? I mean, what the hell messes up your view of other people so badly that you can’t relate to the humanity of others? I have a lot of disgust for the GG movement but I’ve never in my angriest moments actually wished physical harm or death on any of them, because they’re still people godsdammit.

I just… I’m almost in tears here, and I. Don’t. Cry. This is just reprehensible.

Kootiepatra
Kootiepatra

This all infuriates me. It takes a lot to make me angry, but I’m angry. So very angry.

I don’t know whether the school shooting threat was sincere or not. But if not, he absolutely knew what he was doing. Elliot Roger is too close in the rear-view mirror for people NOT to take this kind of threat seriously, and this guy knows it. He has no problem with threatening to kill not just one person, but many people — students, peers, people who can’t have possibly had a hand in allegedly ruining his life — and it’s all somehow a grand, brave act.

Dude. Even if your life WAS ruined by teh eeeeebil feminists, there is no way that your one ruined life would be worth ending dozens of theirs. Not even in the coldest, most calculated, most devoid-of-compassion view of human life.

I hate that nobody either knows how, or is gutsy enough, to stop this. I hate that I haven’t been brave enough to talk about this on my own social media feeds. I hate that, in trying to work up the courage to say something about it, my only hope is that I may not be prominent enough to be worth attacking. I hate that I’ve considered writing about it as G*merG*te to try and evade hashtag-camping 8channers. I hate that I’ve felt a need to hide behind my male anti-gg friends, knowing that they will only get argued with and called manginas, and won’t get chased from their homes. Whereas, if I write a post that, by some fluke, goes viral, I will be.

None of this is okay. None of this is funny. This is not “bored kids on the internet”. And as much as I dislike using alarmist buzzwords, it really is becoming terrorism, scaring people into compliance through threatening or enacting real crimes against them.

Can authorities please start taking this seriously?

tinyorc

For those pondering the gun laws, Utah’s state legislature overrode the University’s ability to regulate guns on campus except in very limited circumstances. Students can request a gun free roommate, but there can’t even be a gun free dorm. People with concealed carry permits can carry basically wherever, whenever per state law.

I can’t even describe how horrifying this is. Why on earth would you need a gun in your dorm? In a lecture? Utah is now on my official list of places I am NEVER going.

The conservative US mentality on gun control is so strange. It’s like:
“We need guns to keep us safe!”
“From who?”
“Bad people with guns!”
“What if no one had any guns?”
“Someone still might have a gun, so we need to make it easier for everyone to have guns so we can protect ourselves, and we need to be able to hide those guns and carry them literally anywhere. One day we will have enough guns to keep ourselves safe from the other people with guns. But not yet. We’re still not there. The solution is more guns and bigger guns to keep us all safe from guns.”

Drdg
Drdg

I also don`t understand how this works in Utah – someone sends an explicit threat to kill people, and they not only don`t find and arrest this person, they even don`t allow the University to forbid bringing guns to the threatened event?
In my country, there have been several cases when someone sends an anonymous bombing threat, and the police always takes it serious – people are evacuated, the place gets searched, and, even if it`s apparently false threat* they will do their best to search the place and to find the person.

* There have been some cases when a pupil anonymously calls and tells that there`s a bomb in the school on a day when an exam is scheduled. Still the police didn`t leave it for chance.

strivingally

Holy shit, Daeran, “They can’t be redeemed so they must be destroyed” is exactly the kind of mentality that led to someone thinking it was okay to threaten a mass shooting in response to a feminist making a public appearance.

And if you’re a sockpuppet expecting to hear Mammotheers cheer you on in wishing GGers dead I think you’re going to be very disappointed. We don’t roll that way here.

ej
ej

I disagree. The biggest fear these guys have is being humiliated. Right now, they are able to hide behind the anonymity of the internet, which makes them less vulnerable to this fear. These guys need to be prosecuted for harassment and, in some cases, terrorism. All we need is for one of them to be dragged through the mud on mainstream media for them to realize that this is serious. They continue to believe that they won’t be found because they are essentially anonymous online, which is why we see escalating threats. They think they can get away with it and situations like this show that they can.

Arrest them. Lock them up for a long time. Allow the news media to cover it and shame them for their deplorable behavior, but don’t threaten violence. Responding to violence (or threats of violence) with more violence is not going to solve anything. It will only create more problems as more and more extreme actions are taken by each side.

Tyra Lith
Tyra Lith

So… this person is obviously a terrorist in every sense of the word, right? Are there any official statements from the police etc. how they plan to handle this? I mean this threat is so fucking specific, no one can argue that this guy obviously didn’t mean it.

Tyra Lith
Tyra Lith

@ej: exactly.

AnnaB
AnnaB

Way to let the terrorists win, Utah.

tinyorc

Daeran:

We’re now to the point where the only way to fix this is with the cold iron fist of State violence, up to and including killing. Even if somehow gamergate were to die, the underlying attitudes won’t go away until we start making it so that being a gamergater is actually physically dangerous.

No. That is deeply disturbing. I will never ever advocate for violence towards ideological opponents. They are also not “evil, anti-civilization terrorists on the order of ISIS, Al-Qaeda, NSDAP, KKK et al.” I think their movement is a reprehensible, reactionary smokescreen for harassment, but they have never actually killed anyone, and saying that they are on the same level as ISIS is ridiculous and hyperbolic.

The people who are responsible for sending rape, death and bomb threats – whether associated with GG or not – need to be arrested and face due process. That’s the only kind of state action that should be taken against anyone in this situation.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

So, just to be clear, the consensus among the Gamer Gate crowd is that the only reason it would be bad to murder Sarkessian, Quinn, etc is that it would be bad PR? Yeah, pretty sure that the “we don’t negotiate with terrorists” route is the appropriate one for both the media and the gaming companies to take with these guys.

tinyorc

In fact, mods, can we get Daeran put on moderation? I’m deeply uneasy with someone advocating yet more violence on a no-troll thread about mass shootings.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

BTW, Daeren? You’d fit right in with the Gamer Gate people, so I’m not sure what you’re doing here. The door is to the left, please show yourself out.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

@ tinyorc

My guess is troll trying to goad feminists into agreeing with him rather than sincere but with a broken moral compass, fwiw.

cendare

Yeah, troll using buzzwords like “State violence” and “shaming”.

proxieme
proxieme

Yeeeah, that’s pretty blatant trolling.

“I’m going to get some fem-nazis to show their TRUE COLORS so I can take screen shots! Hurr!”

Because awful people assume that those with which they disagree are just as awful as they are.

Michael Lindsay

Ok, I said in anger that if a Muslim faction made a threat like this in America the ATF would be knocking down their doors and then pondered why Gamergate gets a free pass. I found the threat to Sarkeesian bloody terrifying, but I don’t endorse the statement above. It’s fucking insane.

Let me just say that I don’t endorse squashing anyone with cold iron fists of state violence, but I do think that law enforcement agencies should be taking the terror threats of gamergaters seriously, but I’d like to see good rigorous law enforcement and professional police investigation applied. Not prejudicial killings or Stalin style purges-that’s nuts!

Do I think gamergate are basically a hate group, sure. Do I think that the police should be keeping a very beady eye on them-absolutely. Do I think that every one of them needs to be liquidated or sent of to Gitmo, no-that’s completely mad.

Jesus Christ, get a grip!

Daeran Zemaitis

I do stand by my ISIS/Al Qaeda comparison though. Their views are just as extreme, just as eliminationists They want feminists dead and women enslaved. Don’t look at Twitter or even /v/ for what these people really think. Look at places like /pol/ and vdare. They just don’t have the power yet. But the line of thinking is the same – “We, entitled and aggrieved group A, blame out-group B for all our problems so they must die!”

Ellesar

Being from the UK the idea that it is perfectly legal to take a gun into a public place, and that this means that a woman is justifiably in fear for her life is not only shocking but utterly bizarre.

To then read that you cannot have a gun free dorm in a university in Utah? This is beyond all that is normal in my world.

From this report it sounds like the relevant ‘authorities’ just want AS to go away – they are not interested in making this gun-nut accountable.

I am so angry and sad that this is the route of censorship that these awful people have chosen – not reasoned debate, not even unreasoned debate! But actual terrorism.

I say that it is a route of censorship because I personally do not believe that this person is going to do a shoot em up. I think that he is full of shit. But if I was AS I still wouldn’t take the risk. She had to make that decision, based on what I have read here.

Daeran Zemaitis

@Michael Lindsay: Do I think that every one of them needs to be liquidated or sent of to Gitmo, no-that’s completely mad.

I will say btw that people have been sent to Gitmo or had drone strikes against them for a lot less than what Gamergate has done (for example, having your 4th cousin be a Taliban fighter or something), which kinda says a lot about this country. I also don’t really expect the FBI to do much either, otherwise we would have seen arrests the last time Anita reported this to the FBI.

indifferentsky

How ca they cry false flag? What feminist would get on the FBIs radar for THAT?
The delusions are layered with these people.

Daeran Zemaitis

One of the oldest right-wing tricks in the book. If it makes you look bad or goes against your worldview, it’s a false flag. Basically, it’s a way to define away inconvenient facts.

indifferentsky

Also the Utah police need to inform airports that concealed carry permit holders can go where they like with guns. It will be a wake up call for the TSA.

First off, I don’t think the would be shooter would be a concealed carry permit holder, but besides that, I’m sure that venues anywhere can have a policy of no guns regardless of what permits a person has. Having said that, the whole thing is unsafe even if they get a lot of security. The person threatened a massacre and they don’t have to get in the venue to do that. Lots of people’s lives were in danger. I think someone so delusional and unhinged as to make highly illegal threats that fall under FBI jurisdiction must be taken seriously, because they are not playing with a full deck.

Kakanian
Kakanian

@Daeran Zemaitis

I’m certain that even the majority of GGers do not send death threats, but even then I’ve no idea why you’d compare THAT with people who commit or committed beheadings, noctural drive-by-shootings and firebombings, hanged and clobbered people to dead or tried to conquer Eurasia while planning to eradicate large parts of its population.

The majority of people in GG, sadly, are the kind of folks whom you can meet anyplace offline or online. And target killings and abductions of folks associated with an ideology (even under the law) are exactly the type of crime all the organizations you listed have committed or are still committing. You’re actually supporting exactly the type of behaviour you pretend to condemn there.

Michael Lindsay

I’m really sorry actually. I thought about it and I realized that saying that they should be killed, as bad as they are, is morally wrong, never mind, as others have said, being ammo for “look at them they’re fanatics who want to kill people who disagree!”, aka the kind of behavior that they actually exhibit. I basically posted because I was so angry that these people seem to be getting away with it that I literally screamed “KILL THESE FUCKING BASTARDS” irl then posted it here.,.

Mate, I get it. But we can’t become the monsters too.

I’m an Aussie, my old suburb was a kilometer away from Clifton Hill in Melbourne-where a neo Nazi skinhead and former soldier called Julian Knight killed seven people and wounded 19 others in a shooting rampage back in 1987. So I first felt a literal chill down my spine followed by just…rage. My partner asked me what was wrong but I was too shaken to tell her.

My response was pretty much in line with yours, I just wanted to punch something-but that sort of thinking can trip you up. That kind of anger can make you a monster, that’s something we should both be mindful of in a feminist space like this one.

I don’t disagree with you that these guys are essentially terrorists. If you are threatening to kill people with guns and bombs because you disagree with their stance, that makes you a terrorist. If you threaten to rape, kill or torture them because their ideas aren’t in line with yours that makes you a terrorist too.

That said, the biggest lesson for the west since the rise of ISIL really should be that throwing away the rulebook after 9-11 and then resorting to torture, kidnapping and prejudicial killings didn’t solve the problem, it may have made it worse.

Criminals are criminals and the police are there for a reason, I really wish that they’d take this thing a lot more seriously and deal with it with calm, methodical, professional police work and not look the other way. In fact I really wish they’d do this a lot more as regards crimes against women instead of chasing potheads around the block and trying to collect more parking tickets because that’s easier.

But all of us owe it to ourselves not to become these bastards, when we feel that way we need to take a step back and realize what it is in them that we don’t want to become.

“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster… for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

― Friedrich Nietzsche

anemonerosie

The great irony here is that the shooting at Ecole Polytechnique (also called the Montréal massacre) brought in Canada’s gun legislation and Québec continues, for a variety of political reasons, to have far stronger anti-gun sentiment than much of the rest of Canada.

… or we could just freeze peaches over the fact that carrying guns to a school that has explicitly been threatened with violence is okay.

tinyorc

It’s weird to me that the right to carry a gun in America is actually MORE protected than the right to carry any other kind of object. Like, let’s just say there were rumours of a plan to set off a load of stinkbombs a talk at a university in Utah. Unless I’m deeply mistaken, campus security would be within their rights to search bags at the entrance and confiscate anything that might be a stinkbomb? You know, because this is a necessary precaution to make sure the event isn’t disrupted and prevent damage to university property?

But you’re not allowed confiscate guns at a specific event, despite a highly detailed mass shooting threat?

JUST WHAT UTAH.

tinyorc

Sorry, should have said US, not America!

Daeran Zemaitis

That’s a good quote. It gets to the point where you’re facing people who are willing to resort to evil means for evil ends, and you feel like you *have* to fight fire with fire because you’re losing for not being able to be as ruthless as them and besides the “ends justify the means” right?. However, it could be argued that the means justify the ends as well. That’s why my initial statement was fundamentally wrong -immoral actions even in the service of a good cause actually make the cause less good.

But what is to be done? Can’t reason with them – any logical points get “false-flagged” or “conspiracied” away. It’s the same kind of thinking that drives all right-wing hate groups. And frankly – a lot of people are apathetic in general, and won’t really go out of their way to condemn people who support gamergate. And even if it hits the national news (which it kind of has but right now, the Utah State story should be, at WORST the 3rd story behing ISIS and Ebola, yet it’s not), they’ll just pull out the tried and tested librul media card (did I mention that this is a right wing hate group yet?)

Lea
Lea

These terrorists need to be outed and arrested. Every single one of them.

Daeran Zemaitis

Never mind, it’s on CNN and other mainstream outlets, but it should be WALL TO WALL coverage.

Lea
Lea

Daeran,
There is no fighting fire with fire here. They are terrorist bigots. They have threats and lies. We have reason and facts. Ruthless? WTF? There is no way to be “ruthless” about wanting men to stop terrorizing women. You need to take a time out. What means are you hoping to justify? You are not making sense.

Daeran Zemaitis

I know, I’m just explaining the thinking that led me to make the statement like I made earlier. It’s not exactly logical thinking, it’s emotional anger based thinking that actually, as Michael said, makes the problem worse.