#gamergate a woman is always to blame advocacy of violence antifeminism grandiosity men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny oppressed men sarkeesian! sympathy for murderers taking pleasure in women's pain terrorism threats video games

Anita Sarkeesian Cancels Talk at Utah State After Receiving Threat of Another "Montreal Massacre." [UPDATED with more info from Sarkeesian]

sarkscreenshot

Utah State University has just announced that Anita Sarkeesian has canceled a talk she was scheduled to give at the school tomorrow after receiving a threat of a “Montreal Massacre-style attack” by someone promising ““the deadliest school shooting in American history” if the cultural critic was allowed to speak.

Here’s the official announcement:

Anita Sarkeesian has canceled her scheduled speech for tomorrow following a discussion with Utah State University police regarding an email threat that was sent to Utah State University. During the discussion, Sarkeesian asked if weapons will be permitted at the speaking venue. Sarkeesian was informed that, in accordance with the State of Utah law regarding the carrying of firearms, if a person has a valid concealed firearm permit and is carrying a weapon, they are permitted to have it at the venue.

Emphasis added. That’s right: the school received threats from someone promising to shoot people at a public event, but because of Utah’s gun laws, authorities would not be able to prohibit audience members from BRINGING GUNS to the talk.

Before learning that this was the case, Sarkeesian — after consulting with authorities — had planned to go ahead with the talk. As a spokesman for the school told the Standard Examiner, a northern Utah newspaper:

“They determined the threat seems to be consistent with ones (Sarkeesian) has received at other places around the nation. … The threat we received is not out of the norm for (this woman).”

The email threat came from someone who claimed that “feminists have ruined my life and I will have my revenge, for my sake and the sake of all the others they’ve wronged.”

The email, sent to several campus officials and posted online by the Standard Examiner, warned:

If you do not cancel [Sarkeesian’s] talk, a Montreal Massacre style attack will be carried out against the attendees, as well as students and staff at the nearby women’s center. I have at my disposal a semi-automatic rifle, multiple pistols, and a collection of pipe bombs. This will be the deadliest school shooting in American history and I’m giving you a chance to stop it.

The email writer claimed that even if authorities manage to stop him from an attack at the event,

There are plenty of feminists on campus who won;t be able to defend themselves. One way or another, I’m going to make sure they die. …

Anita Sarkeesian is everything wrong with the feminist woman, and she is going to die screaming like the craven little whore that she is if you let her come to USU. I will write my manifesto in her spilled blood, and you will all bear witness to what feminist lies and poison have done to the men of America.

All this because she made some videos discussing sexism in fucking video games.

Here’s a screenshot of the full email, from the Standard Examiner site:

Screenshot posted by the Standard Examiner
Screenshot posted by the Standard Examiner

I’m speechless. What the fuck is wrong with these people?

NOTE: This is a NO TROLLS, NO MRAS, NO GAMERGATERS, NO VICTIM BLAMER thread. I will delete comments and ban people who do not respect the rules.

UPDATE: Sarkeesian has provied more details on Twitter; there were multiple threats, including one that specifically referred to GamerGate

naltia
naltia

I’m so ashamed of my state right now.

I hate to be a downer, but unless federal law intervenes, nothing is going to be done about these gun laws. Too many people here are ultra-conservative, pro-gun, anti-feminist nut jobs. Believe me, I know a lot of them. >.<

Shiraz
Shiraz

What? Seriously? They can’t trace the dude who posted the threats? What the fuck?

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

I’m never allowing my kids to attend college in a concealed carry state, that’s for damn sure.

weirwoodtreehugger

Thanks for telling us Joanna Roberts. I don’t tweet all that often but I will be off to make a few under that tag.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

“I’m also seeing more and more commentary from the GG assbags that they will burn gaming to the ground rather than “lose”.”

Hey, do you happen to have any screenshots of that? I need it for something I’m writing about this.

weirwoodtreehugger

Of course the commenters at Kotaku are claiming she’s making it up. Of course. http://kotaku.com/terror-threat-targets-anita-sarkeesian-for-speaking-at-1646371245/all

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

This is absolutely despicable. I hope this becomes the ‘have you no sense of decency, sir?” moment that ends GamerGate.

Belladonna993
Belladonna993

I’m sure someone will quickly accuse Anita of lying or exaggerating about the “multiple” threats, and they wouldn’t believe me, either, but as long as I’m preaching to the choir here, my friend at USU told me a couple of hours ago that they’d received three separate threats. He didn’t take it seriously, though. I mean, just because he canceled his class because it was too near the auditorium and time she’d be speaking doesn’t mean he took it seriously. After all, it’s just trolling. No one takes it seriously. /sarcasm

forbiddencomma

I just can’t with these people anymore. Why are we always on the defensive against this low-level scum? When can we finally go on the offensive against them?

Johanna Roberts

@weirwoodtreehugger …of course they are. That’s just sick. Then again, what can we really expect from these people?

hellkell
hellkell

For those pondering the gun laws, Utah’s state legislature overrode the University’s ability to regulate guns on campus except in very limited circumstances. Students can request a gun free roommate, but there can’t even be a gun free dorm. People with concealed carry permits can carry basically wherever, whenever per state law. So in this case, the University’s hands really are tied.

HOLY SHIT. The noise you just heard was my brain breaking. No gun free dorms? What the everloving fuck. Young adults and firearms, what could possibly go wrong?

The aggrieved manbaby who wrote the manifesto should stop blaming feminism for ruining his life. He’s doing tha all on his own, especially if he gets caught.

tesformes

Hey, if y’all are going to make Twitter accounts, remember that if you give them your name, they will make it the public name on your account. They say “Use your real name so your friends can find you,” but its not required. I wouldn’t recommend it, either.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

“Of course the commenters at Kotaku are claiming she’s making it up. Of course.”

Don’t forget the ones pearl-clutching with “If she didn’t cancel, the blood of those poor innocent students would be on her hands!” Not, y’know, on the hands of the murderer.

Fucking hell, were these people raised by old Nazi prison guards and retired serial killers? Even literal sociopaths would do a double-take at some of this.

cloudiah
M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

Err, that last bit was directed at the haemorrhoidal asshole who sent in the threat, #Gits and MRAs in general as well as the Kotaku morons. Kind of lost my train of thought there.

Johanna Roberts

@cloudiah they’re also talking about camping out on her lawn and stalking the fuck out of her MORE. But it’s TOTALLY not about her.

Bina
Bina

Dear Utah and all other “open carry” states: Your gun laws are fucked up for allowing massacres to happen. And I don’t care if you still have the death penalty for murder; that’s not going to deter a truly determined killer, is it now? Never has, never will. You are fuck-ups.

Dear antifeminists: YOU are why we need feminism. Everything you say, do, or say you will do is just one more reason why we fight. You are not going to deter us. You are on the losing side of history, and there you shall forever remain.

Dear Gamergaters: YOU are why we need feminism in gaming, and fuck your “journalistic integrity” excuse making. When shoot-em-up gameboys become threaten-to-shoot-‘er-up trolls, you have no moral ground to stand on. You are losers, and your “movement” is of the bowel kind.

And dear whoever wrote this:

the last thing we need is another Marc Lepine. Such an act of violence would be a crushing setback for men everywhere.

You, too, are why we need feminism. Men have never HAD a “crushing setback”, except in your over-vivid imagination. And really, if this tarnishes your collective image, you fucking deserve it. You are a LOSER.

Inez Milholland
Inez Milholland

Brrrr, Kotaku. There should be a little pop up window every time one clicks on the comments section that reads, ABANDON HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE.

cendare

Do you know what I love the most? If you go to the Utah State University press release, they have the stuff from 4 pm before the event was canceled. And it contains this sentence:

Enhanced security measures will now be in place, which include prohibiting backpacks and any large bags.

Yes, we wouldn’t want any of those dangerous backpacks!

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@cendare:

What if someone walks in with a big backpack full of pistols and ammo? Eh? Ehhh? Maybe security will have to carefully search them to make sure only one type of deadly weapon is inside.

cloudiah

I kind of hate twitter, but it seems to be where the good stuff is breaking:

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Seriously though. Imagine if the talk hadn’t been cancelled, and security measures had been put in place so security will know if someone was bringing guns in. What the fuck happens when someone tries to carry in a gun? How the hell do you think, as an officer at the checkpoint, “welp, I know someone threatened to shoot people, and here’s a dude with a gun, but it’s his right so I’ll let him through.”

I’m seriously baffled as to how this could have worked out.

Hyatt
Hyatt

Whatever happened, it would’ve been Anita’s fault. Somehow.

Tanya Nguyen

Whatever happened, it would’ve been Anita’s fault. Somehow.

Well, duh. it was HER lecture. a nd she was attacking GAMES!!!! and MENZZ!!!! and if she would just stick to attacking repulicans and I don’t know, knitting, it would be fine and she would not need to be “educated” or “corrected” in her behaviors.

(icky, just typing that sarcasm…)

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

I want to give a disclaimer: I’m a 4chan user. In fact, 4chan is the social website I use the most.

I’ve already noticed a lot of people claiming that Sarkeesian somehow forged this threat or is manufacturing the hate speech she’s receiving. I’m certain that’s ridiculous, but in the wake of GamerGate I’ve caught on that a lot of my peers have some sort of obsession with “false flag attacks.” Anyone else notice this? Is this something recent, or has this particular strain of paranoia been going on for longer than I’ve realized?

MaudeLL

The Polytechnique killer isn’t a hero to men everywhere. In fact, some of the men who were freed from the classroom committed suicide shortly after the massacre. I remember men in Montreal were generally quite wounded by the event. Of course, women were too, but these guys who claim that men secretly admire him are full of shit.
Fuck that guy.

If someone actually got killed, would it still be a false flag?

Kim
Kim

Yes Katz. Except they wouldn’t really be killed. They’d really be mannequins of some sort (with ragdoll physics?). Of course hundreds of people would have to be in on it, but the gynocracy is just that powerful.

weirwoodtreehugger

Katz,
I’m sure they would claim she either faked her death or had herself martyred for attention. I really don’t think there’s a bottom to their dishonesty, hate, and stupidity.

Kitty Andretti
Kitty Andretti

I wondered what it would take to make me stop lurking. I am so disgusted. I don’t have much of a social media presence, but I would like to stand up and declare myself anyway, as someone who thinks that Anita Sarkeesian, Zoe Quinn, Kathy Sierra, and just so many others have been completely undeserving of the harassment (that word hardly seems to cover it) that has been dished out. I will challenge anyone in my life who identifies as pro “gamer gate”, and I will forward feminist frequency, serious pony and WHTM to anyone who shows the slightest inkling of interest. And, I will come down like a ton of bricks on anyone who tries to tell me that this “movement” is in anyway sane, or ethical. It’s hardly enough, but it’s a promise I make to those suffering this abuse.

Hyatt
Hyatt

@Dennis augh they’re seriously claiming it’s a false flag. If you deign to reply, think you could ask them for evidence that it’s a false flag?

A Wolverine
A Wolverine

Feminism didn’t ruin the bastard’s life.
Getting arrested for terrorism might though

Dennis Jernberg (@dennis_jernberg)

@katz @kim: Remember that the Newtown massacre “never happened”. Denialism is a powerful thing.

Re last post: My tweet attracted a troll, as expected. Said troll said “false flag” and was offended at my connection of #GamerGate with #mrafail. Called him/herself @Cpt_manboobs, so anti-WHTM at minimum despite claiming to not actually be an MRA. Oh well.

Aunt Edna
Aunt Edna

This aggrieved lunatic’s threat / manifesto reads like daily fare on every manospheric blog — every single one of them. There is an extremely strong possibility that he is one of the manosphere’s regulars.

I am certain that, if not apprehended, he is not going to stop at just threats, but emboldened by his power now, he will try to exact revenge on women for “ruining” his life one violent way or another. When that happens, will MRA insist again, as they did with Elliot Rodger, that he had nothing to do with them or their views?

Dennis Jernberg (@dennis_jernberg)

@Hyatt: The troll told me to “fuck off”, so I let him/her go. But you have a great idea. I’ll use it as a countertactic next time.

Dennis Jernberg (@dennis_jernberg)

@Aunt Edna:

I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised. That’s the connection I explicitly made which offended that troll.

I’m sure they are already. If they denied Rodger, they’ll deny this guy too.

weirwoodtreehugger

Hyatt,

I asked one of the Kotaku commenters if he had any evidence that the threat wasn’t legitimate. He asked me if I had any evidence that it was legit. Sigh.

I told him that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and that if you’re going to make an outlandish claim, the burden is on you to prove it. He hasn’t replied yet.

As we all knew, there is zero evidence Sarkeesian faked these threats.

cloudiah

So far the only notable thing: the line “feminists have ruined my life” is a direct quote from Marc Lepine — it’s what he allegedly said before he started shooting.

Of fucking course. I’m just … Daring to exist as a human being is actually threatening to these asshats. Wat.

Qwery'sgirl
Qwery'sgirl

This is awful. Some people at my college discussed inviting Sarkeesian over for a talk about gender in games, but we decided it would be too impractical to prove that we really are interested in what she has to say and not trying to draw her out to kill her. Now I see that our intentions wouldn’t have mattered anyway.

Leisha Young
Leisha Young

Oh this poor woman. She is amazingly strong and deserves to go down in history in the gamer community and feminist archives.

What the hell is going on?

Bogdan Cvetkovic

She is. After all of the horrific offenses made against her she still keeps going with her project. That takes a lot of courage.

Bogdan Cvetkovic

You can disagree with her (with civility of course) about points in her videos (as intelligent and, yes, feminist people have), but you cannot discount her courage.

Bogdan Cvetkovic

And Hannibal made a new video!

Elektra Kenway

“We are blamed for the abuse we receive and regularly told that we are either asking for it or inventing it entirely” – Sarkeesian at XOXO Festival 2014

I’ve been noticing some gaming communities are a lot different. On IGN comments you’ll read people (99% men) saying it’s all a lie, that it’s for publicity, that she deserves it, etc.

If you switch to The Verge or Polygon, most readers are furious because this is happening to her (again) and actually mock the trolls and victim-blamers for what they are.

I’m also beginning to see “brand new” social media accounts with roughly 5 contacts that pose as women and defend this… “hatergate” with the argument “I’m a woman and I support it! There’s no hate in “true gamergate”! Long live ethics!”

The threat was not only to her, but also to all other feminists there and even a women’s centre. Furthermore, the threat is far from over if that person (who made the threats) is an actual student and interacts with everyone and goes there every day.

This is truly scary. It’s a disaster waiting to happen.

Is there no way for authorities to locate those people that keep “doxxing” and threatening their targets online? Someone has to stop this before something terrible happens and we can’t turn back time.

friday jones
friday jones

My shit gets searched going into the Renfaire because they don’t want to allow outside booze, how is it again that a University can’t define their own set of contraband items?

Dennis Jernberg (@dennis_jernberg)

@friday: Specifically guns. Utah is an “open carry” state, meaning in that state you legally have the absolute right to openly carry guns anywhere and the police can do nothing to stop you. This is just one reason why I hate the US right wing so much, and why I’m no longer a libertarian or even a pro-gun liberal.

friday jones
friday jones

The terrorist is a University student, so just how exactly has feminism “ruined his life?” I had to work full time and go to community college. Does that mean that my life is ruineder than his?