atheism minus attention seeking bad boys misogyny richard dawkins

Richard Dawkins, gangsta?

Apparently Ricky Dawkins is now taking cues from Ricky Rozay.

Ricky D’s comments in the video come from an event he did with Stephen Law during Oxford Think Week in February 2013. (In case you’re wondering, the relevant segment starts at about 1:11:00 into the full video, which you can find at that link. Yes, he really does say the B word. And gets a lot of applause for it.)

Even more alarming than the b-word is his contention that science-based medicine is in the business of killing people. Though I don’t think that’s quite what he meant to say.

EDIT: I guess he does say “cure” people, though the way he says it somehow sounds remarkably similar to “kill.”  In my defense I’m old and have wax in my ears.

(This is possibly old news to some people, but it’s new to me!)

H/T:  r/againstmensrights

schwadevivre

I am seriously considering the idea that Dawkins is exhibiting early signs of dementia. He seems to lack any ability to consider what he is saying.

Matthew Prorok
Matthew Prorok

To be fair, he was simply trying to be relevant to the Internet. He’s citing a very popular, although old, XKCD comic: http://xkcd.com/54/

Doesn’t really excuse it, but helps explain.

Boogerghost
Boogerghost

Did he say science-based medicine kills people somewhere else in the talk? In this clip he said, “If you base medicine on science you CURE people.”

But yeah, Dawkins appears to be doing that thing where people who fear becoming out-of-touch pander to “cool pop sexism.” Like many before him.

That video’s hilarious though.

Charlotte
Charlotte

I’m pretty sure he says “you cure people”, not “you kill people”.

ccharlotte80
ccharlotte80

I’m pretty sure he says “cures people” not “kills people”.

Jeff
Jeff

He’s quoting XKCD, which (I guess) may or may not have been quoting someone else…

Ivy Shoots (@IvyShoots)

I thought he said “killing people” the first time I listened too. But he actually says “curing people.”

ikanreed
ikanreed

Yeah, David, a correction is due. Dawkins is a sexist, but he’s consistently pro scientific medicine.

sunnysombrera

I agree, I can’t imagine him ever saying that something rooted in science kills people.

marinerachel

Def said cure, not kill.

He says all kinds of dumbshit offensive racist grandpa-would-say stuff but he’s pro-evidence-based medicine.

Sarah
Sarah

Yeah, I had to listen to it three times but eventually it does indeed sound like he meant ‘cures’.

On the quote itself, it sounds like it comes from the notably not-sexist nerd comic xkcd (xkcd.com), see http://xkcd.com/54/.
Not being a native English speaker, I’m curious if the b-word in plural is always a gendered slur or if in a different context, it can be safely said as a neutral if derogatory familiar epithet.

Sarah
Sarah

To follow up, I would guess the public applauds the nerdy reference not the slur itself. And even if it were mutating its meaning, or reclaimed by feminists, I think the b-word is not Dawkins’ to use considering his sexist track, just giving some context.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I’m pretty sure he’s just quoting an xkcd comic. What’s more interesting about that talk was that he didn’t seem to comprehend the question he was being asked, which was cut out of this clip. He was being asked an interesting philosophical question, and he gave no indication that he grasped it, but bullshitted out an answer anyway.

zyvlyn
zyvlyn

@sarah

Opinions vary. I and most people I know consider it more of a generic swear like the s word or f word. Unless you are specifically using it to refer to a woman or group of women, of course.

Bernardo Soares
Bernardo Soares

He says “cure people” in his posh accent. Also, to be fair, he is quoting Randall Munroe:

I really don’t want to defend Dawkins. This guy is awful, and his specific mixture of sociobiology and evopsych has long been refuted by other geneticists, as his theory of the “selfish gene”. I don’t think real scientists want much to do with him. Even before his public meltdowns, it was clear from his own scientific work as well as from his criticism of religion what his politics are – extreme biological reductionism, and socially reactionary politics as a consequence.

marinerachel

It’s definitely meant as a nerd reference. It just sounds super clunky and awkward given the way he speaks and his accent. He’s got a track record of saying really dumb things about women so that in conjunction with his mannerisms has a lot of people caught off guard. He’s actually just quoting.

He’s still a ridiculous old man in a lot of respects.

weirwoodtreehugger

Was he supposed to be quoting Jesse from Breaking Bad?

friday jones
friday jones

He prefers to Badger.

marinerachel

I was actually going to suggest he’d just been channelling Jesse Pinkman. Gatorade me, bitch!

Master of the Boot
Master of the Boot

I personally thought this was funny. It’s the least offensive thing this old fuck has said in a while, but if I’m wrong then do tell me so

belledame
belledame

I thought he said “kill,” too, but I’ll take everyone’s word for it.

I’m sure he is quoting that xkcd cartoon, but it’s risible in his accent, and with that severe, ruddy little face under the posh silver hair. What next, Sir Mix-A-Lot?

NonServiam

He’s just so cringey.

tedthefed
tedthefed

Where I get hung up is, scientific medicine curing people doesn’t mean that scientifically determined knowledge is TRUE, just that it’s USEFUL. (unless you think those are the same thing, which is valid but probably not what these guys think)

Does anyone remember that quote about how Richard Dawkins is proof that if you give a single-celled organism enough time, it will evolve into a public embarrassment who should have retired from the spotlight years ago?

Emmy Rae
Emmy Rae

zyvlyn, using a word that is considered a slur against women as a catch all insult/cuss is not cool with a lot of us.

Misha
Misha

Especially when he won’t heed advice to stay the hell away from Twitter and keep his fail to himself.

Can’t remember if this has been posted in the comments before, but  trigger warning for some pretty horrific ableism . Richard Dawkins – the gift that keeps on giving no matter how many times you return it to the store, demand a refund or pretend it must belong to someone else.

hellkell

Dawkins is shoving his foot down his throat again? Is it another day ending in “y”?

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Girl is the default insult for half the population. Calling people bitches is just more of that bog standard of being called female anything as an insult. It may not bother you any more, but they should ask themselves why that is.
We tried very hard to reclaim bitch in the seventies, but since it was never our insult we failed.

kittehserf - MOD

More shit of whavever variety from Dawkins? Colour me surprised. Obviously patronising Malala Yousafzai wasn’t enough.

Jon H
Jon H

I think there was a period, around when the referenced XKCD comic was new, 2006, when “… bitches” was kind of a thing. As in “namaste, bitches”, etc. Not necessarily used in a gendered insult way in that context. More like calling a group of your friends “fuckers”.

Didn’t last very long, though. Which is why I haven’t often worn my XKCD “Science: It works, bitches” t-shirt in the last several years.

kittehserf - MOD

Thing is, “bitch” or “bitches” is inherently gendered and sexist, whether a group thinks of it that way or not. There’s no way around it.

If I saw a random person wearing a “science: it works, bitches” tee-shirt (bearing in mind the whole world does not read xkcd), I’d think the wearer was a STEM student sneering at anyone not in the sciences, and, certainly if the wearer was male, a misogynist as well.

LBT
LBT

I am ashamed to admit that I used to use that turn of phrase.

Then I was at a place where I could see a woman flinch every time I said it, and she asked me not to do it.

I stopped after that. My oh-so-clever catchphrase is not worth hurting someone.

BritterSweet

I didn’t get the XKCD reference specifically, but when he says it he just comes across as trying to sound “hip” by saying what the cool kids these days say. And failing. Remember when McDonald’s tried something like that?

kittehserf - MOD

My oh-so-clever catchphrase is not worth hurting someone.

Which is what puts you soooooo far ahead of Dawkins in every area that matters most – basic human decency, empathy, knowing other people aren’t props for you to kick around to show of your mighty interleckchual brane, you name it. Dawkins isn’t even the mighty sciency type he’s promoted as, and as far as I’ve ever seen, he has fuckall to offer in any other part of life.

Dennis Jernberg (@dennis_jernberg)

When I watched the video and heard Richard Dawkins of all people say “bitches”, my first thought was that he must be spending too much time on Twitter. When in the comments above I read the source of his failed attempt to sound “Totally Radical” in that smug posh accent of his, I cringed. Even the strip he referenced is old, like eight years. Shows how up on the culture he is, right? Like totally bitchin’, dude.

Hell, I could have said that a hundred times better than he did, raising my voice and pumping my fist even. I bet MC Hawking already did it tons better, in a rap based on that very strip.

By the way, here’s the All The Tropes version of the above TV Tropes link:

friday jones
friday jones

@Brittersweet I remember that McDonalds ad campaign, that was the day that I made the following Photoshopped image:

Dennis Jernberg (@dennis_jernberg)

I checked to see of Dawkins really did tweet something worse. No luck, mostly retweets…

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

To rehash the Blind Watchmaker analogy, Dawkins stopped working properly some time ago, but he’s still right twice a day, and goes cuckoo every hour.

Adam
Adam

Amazed by all the PC hand-wringing going on here. The “gangsta” terminology is merely a silly self-deprecating joke at the expense of his own posh nerdiness; the audience were amused precisely because it was so unexpected. To suggest that it is inherently misogynistic to use this word in a flippant, impersonal context is an absurdly authoritarian approach to language. Also, LOL at all the idiots who screech about Dawkins being “sexist” on a basis which is never specified. I bet you’re the sort of people who think he’s “racist” for criticising Islam too, eh?

hellkell

So glad you dropped by Adam, now fuck off.

You really don’t know why Dawkins is considered racist and sexist? Sure, pull the other one.

Adam
Adam

A masterfully witty and well-reasoned riposte there, hellkell. So much detail and evidence! Looks like I’ll need to revise my entire worldview. 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 Moron.

hellkell

You’re the one claiming we’re PC handwringers upset over nothing. Burden of proof is on you, jagoff.

hellkell

And I’m not really sure why you feel entitled to anything more than scorn. Why is that Adam?

titianblue
titianblue

Aaah, poor Adam. Somehow, his internetz skillz got him to WHTM and yet he is unable to google. How will he survive in the modern world, unable to discover any evidence or information for himself? Surely we who have the google-fu must spoon feed him or he will intellectually starve…

Adam
Adam

I already explained that, hellkell, you cretin. There’s nothing sexist about the obviously flippant comment he makes in this video. He’s just having fun with the fact that people wouldn’t expect a retired Oxford professor to use “gangsta” dialect. So yes, you are indeed a PC handwringer upset over nothing. And no, the burden of proof is not on me to defend someone against the charges of sexism and racism when precisely no compelling evidence of either of these claims has ever been put forward by anyone.

hellkell

Your Google hand busted, Adam? We owe you nothing but mockery.

Adam
Adam

Small wonder this blog has the reputation it does when any dissenting position taken on ANYTHING its adherents take for granted – even something relatively unimportant like Richard Dawkins’ opinions – is immediately met with such brainless venom. Seriously, read your first reply to me again – is that the way a mature and informed post-adolescent behaves in an argument? Rather than putting forward any actual reasons for their position, do they simply tell their opponent to “fuck off” in the hope that that will make them go away? Well, sticks and stones and all that. Eventually you’ll realise how moronic your approach to this is, but at this point you aren’t worth any more of my, or anyone else’s, time.

hellkell

This isn’t debate club, Adam. You didn’t come here in anything resembling good faith, and you’re pissed we all know it.

Bye, please stick the flounce.