antifeminism dark enlightenment heartiste literal nazis men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny oppressed white men PUA racism twitter

Red Piller wins the culture war with innovative "panty sniffer" insult

pantees

My post about Heartiste and the sour slut grapes the other day inspired the following highly ironic series of Tweets from Mr. H and one of his fans.

RedPillPhil ‏@RedPillPhil  @DavidFutrelle you on your best day could never match intellects with @heartiste. That's why you and your ilk must resort to mewling snark      Reply     Retweet     Favorite  11:30 AM - 9 Oct 2014 Tweet text Reply to @RedPillPhil @heartiste       heartiste ‏@heartiste 11h11 hours ago      @RedPillPhil @DavidFutrelle Fatrelle, have you ever talked to a cute girl without loading your fat boy diapers? Online doesn't count.         Reply         Retweet         Favorite     RedPillPhil ‏@RedPillPhil 11h11 hours ago      @heartiste @DavidFutrelle Futrelle is definitely a panty sniffer.

I am overwhelmed by the intellectual firepower on display in these Tweets!

RedPillPhill has offered other highly erudite critiques of my writing in the past.

Hmm. This last one seems debatable, given that RedPillPhil is a Dark Enlightenment “race realist” who recently retweeted this lovely cartoon:

Apparently posting racist cartoons and calling me a womanly panty-sniffer is how Phil plans to win the war. What war? THE CULTURE WAR.

Is the Dark Enlightenment called the Dark Enlightenment because everyone involved in it has their head permanently up their own ass?

Johanna Roberts

Awww, look, they’re trying to be clever.

jbgarner58

That would explain why they are perpetually angry. Having your head up your ass has to be painful, uncomfortable, and, well, smelly. Anyone would be angry under those conditions.

cloudiah

This … might actually be the best explanation I’ve seen for this phenomenon.

Lea
Lea

When I read what racist, misogynist bottom feeders think are clever comebacks I’m alternately entertained that it is their best attempt at a rebuttal and then a little sad for them, then entertained again. Sometimes when my cats are bird watching at the windows they get overly excited and try to catch one. The sound their little heads make as they hit the glass gives me similarly mixed emotions.
I’m like:
“Ha, ha…Aw. Oh honey, no. Ha ha ha.”

Full disclosure: I also mock my cats when they get their claws stuck in the furniture as they are destroying it. I am a monster.

Daeran Zemaitis
Daeran Zemaitis

A Dark Enlightenment back to the Dark Ages from which the Enlightenment brought us out of.

Daeran Zemaitis
Daeran Zemaitis

maistrechat

I like that “criticizing our sexism, racism, and lack of integrity” is apparently “pointing and sputtering”.

Nice.

anemonerosie

The poor dears are simply all turned around up in their own assholes. No wonder it’s so hard for teh menz. It almost sounds kinky. Almost.

Binjabreel

Any time some dipshit whips out that Dark Enlightenment crap- or, even worse, the Dark Triad (Fuck, it’s like they can’t name things that don’t sound like they came out of a shitty 80’s cartoon) – I’m so relieved. I just think, “Well, I can safely ignore anything you happen to think.”

davidknewton
davidknewton

Dark Triad!!! And the person on 4chan who called their digging up information on Sarkeesian “Operation Virtuous Mission”, as well – they’re like a group of seven year olds planning raids from their treehouse, with a “NO GIRLS ALLOWED” sign on the front with the S backwards.

marinerachel

We should all send David our panties so he can sniff them

kirbywarp

To be fair, I couldn’t match intellects with Heartiste on my best day either. I’m a tall guy, and it’s very difficult to stoop that low. Snark it is, then!

PocketNerd
PocketNerd

“Cathedral apologist,” eh? Funny how libertarian dogwhistles keep sneaking into MRAspeak.

Bina

WTF is a “cathedral apologist”? Last time I saw a cathedral, the thing looked pretty unapologetic to me…

And awww, isn’t it cute how Fartiste and RedPillPhil (Colace, anyone?) are just two little eggs on the tweeter? Why no real faces to put to the fake names? Bawk, buk buk buk…

Bina

Also, pro tip to Davis Aurini: Those guys you hang out with? They’re a Who’s Who of Why You Will Never Get Laid.

ktrantingredhead

Sorry, but I keep seeing this word “cathedral” and I don’t understand what it means in MRA terms.

kinginascendent

Does the MJ in Aurini’s name stand for misogynist jerk?

friday jones
friday jones

There’s gonna be a war!
A cultural war!
At the Man Sphere! Man Sphere!

kirbywarp

Ooh, MGTOW has a glossary!

Cathedral: The term “Cathedral” was coined by a Mr. M.M. and reformatted by Chateau Heartiste (and probably others) for a general audience to mean the collective motivations and enlivening spirit of the bulk of the human machinery that powers the entertainment, media, government and academia industrial complexes in the West, but particularly in America. This human machinery is mostly progressive in political disposition, equalist in ideology, tyrannical in method, snarky in execution, and hypocritical in principle. So as not to associate the meaning with any religious implication, the Cathedral may otherwise be referred to as the “hive” – to represent the reflexive, obedient, hive-like thinking on the subject of human intellectual, psychological and sex differences, both within and between groups.

I guess these dudes have a real bugbear about snark. Maybe that’s why they hate on David so much.

kirbywarp

Oh where, oh where have my blockquotes gone?
Oh where, oh where could they be?

quantumscale

They actually didn’t make up the Dark Triad.

Also, cathedrals are gorgeous and awe-inspiring. Is that supposed to be a derogatory term?

alaisvex
alaisvex

Didn’t Aurani just make a video complaining about his inability to get laid until the women had hit the wall?

Also, I know that Roosh wasn’t involved, but I feel like leaving some of these here anyway.

bbeaty
bbeaty

“I guess these dudes have a real bugbear about snark.”

Snark is inherently disrespectful. And the one thing these dudes seem to need more than anything is respect — to be taken seriously. To be seen and the big, powerful, intelligent, authoritative alphas they know they are.

They don’t seem to enjoy sex. Sex with a woman is just a marker of how much she “respects his authority and power. Any disagreement is disrespect (hence the in-fighting). Rejection is disrespect.

But snark, well, snark says I don’t respect you enough to even bother to disagree. I am just going to make fun of you.

Which is why both love it as a weapon and am ashamed of that love.

Bina

“Snarky in execution”? Yup…because MRA/PUA bullshit is most easily killed by ridicule. So, snarky executioners, fire away! And keep shootin’!

John
John

@Daeran Zemaitis

“Honestly I have to wonder, what went wrong with these people? I mean, what breaks inside for someone that they turn out like this?”

That’s pretty much my daily reaction to these guys. That and the universal New Yorker Cartoon Caption: “Christ, what an asshole”

ikanreed
ikanreed

Wait. They ascribe Dark Triad traits to Sarkeesian? Of fucking course they do.

You know with her completion of a college education, no criminal history, long term planning, lack of numerous short term relationships, she’s a shoo-in for psychopathy. Yep.

And narcissism, what with her… hoop earrings? And lack of empathy in her… I don’t even know.

I mean, I could see them twisting a Machiavellian case by alleging her moral concerns are fabricated, and everything she does is a lie, if you believe that… you get 1 of the dark triad traits.

bbeaty
bbeaty

Let me add that like a lot of folks who don’t understand respect, these guys often confuse it with fear.

Kevin K
Kevin K

These are guys who got shot down by their first crush when they were 13 or so…and gave up because it was “too hard”. And they’re bitter that so many others seem to have figured it out.

Pocket Nerd
Reply to  Bina

Thus Spake ZaraBina:

It’s one of those heavily-laden subcultural terms that sounds cryptic to outsiders but has profound meaning within the subculture.

The definition linked by Kirbywarp is reasonably good, but in practice it means more, particularly among the libertarian/dork enlightenment set: By calling David Futrelle an agent of the “Cathedral,” RightSaidFred RedPillPhil is telling his fellows that Mr. Futrelle hates men, white people, and heterosexuals (and especially heterosexual white men) and wants to steal the rightful profits of hard work and success and give it all away to the lazy, stupid untermenschen and destroy western (i.e. white, male, heterosexual, cisgendered) civilization. And David DOESN’T EVEN LIFT BRO.*

It’s also a snarl word, like a climate change denier calling you a “warmie” or a religious reactionary calling you a “pagan.” The meanings also include “heretic, mutant, traitor!”… but the primary meaning is generally “SHUT UP!

* In case it needs to be said: I don’t think any of that is true of David, but RedPillPhil does, or at least wants others to think it’s true.**

** Well, it’s possible he David DOESN’T EVEN LIFT BRO. I don’t know whether he regularly lifts things or people, or whether the things and people he putatively lifts include bros. The details of what, when, and whom David lifts are not my affair.

kirbywarp

More on “cathedral” and the dark enlightenment in general here.

The imagery is so cool to me; I would totally read fiction based on it. Shame that people take it seriously, and that it’s basically a big-ole collection of all of the bigotry and teenage angst humankind has yet produced.

phasma
phasma

RPP:

@DavidFutrelle you on your best day could never match intellects with @heartiste. That’s why you and your ilk must resort to mewling snark

Heartiste:

@RedPillPhil @DavidFutrelle Fatrelle, have you ever talked to a cute girl without loading your fat boy diapers? Online doesn’t count.

Oh dear…Bina&ktrantingredhead&PocketNerdI don’t think “Cathedral” has here any MRA-specific meaning (or libertarian one, for that matter)-it’s just a term originating in DE discourse, standing for…well, many diverse things. Essentially, it’s a hypothetical power structure (including, but not being limited to, teachers, academics, journalists and politicians) supposedly responsible for enforcement of “Enlightenment” principles, and as such can be used as an explanation for any social outcome or phenomenon, which is found “degenerate” by DE ilk.

Bina

So, then, “Cathedral” is just their shorthand for “people who are smarter than us, a clear majority of society, and who make us feel inferior because they can see what backward shitlords we really are”? Got it.

Pocket Nerd
Reply to  kirbywarp

Thus Spake Zarakirbywarp:

Yeah. The imagery can be entertaining, but for me it’s ruined when you realize the core philosophy is “I am a Superior Person! But for some reason I’m not yet a billionaire CEO astronaut playboy. Therefore women and minorities must be stealing my stuff.”

phasma
phasma

Argh! HTML code fail! The last paragraph of my comment should read like:

Oh dear…Bina&ktrantingredhead&PocketNerdI don’t think “Cathedral” has here any MRA-specific meaning (or libertarian one, for that matter)-it’s just a term originating in DE discourse, standing for…well, many diverse things.Essentially, it’s a hypothetical power structure (including, but not being limited to, teachers, academics, journalists and politicians) supposedly responsible for enforcement of “Enlightenment” principles, and as such can be used as an explanation for any social outcome or phenomenon, which is found “degenerate” by DE ilk.

weirwoodtreehugger

Shorter Cathedral: I’m on the wrong side of history and it makes me cry and soil myself. Now I might have to succeed on my own merits instead of merely relying on being a white cishet male.

These guys think they’re so intellectual, but they’re no different than Pat Robertson or Fred Phelps.

They dismiss snark as unintellectual because they aren’t actually intelligent and witty enough to come up with good snark of their own. When they try, it’s sophomoric crap most people grow out of in middle school. They can only go with “you’re fat/gay/womanlike lol!”

Kevin K
Kevin K

@Pocket Nerd:

You forgot to add, “And women want to steal my precious man-juice so they can have babies and then make me pay child support so they don’t have to work ever. Good thing for me that I see through their clever ruse and don’t allow them to sperm-jack me.”

brooked

Nothing screams manly confidence like the handle “RedPillPhil”. Also, I do doubt that they read a whole lot of “information” but I don’t doubt that they vigorously mental masterbate all day long.

Jenora Feuer
Jenora Feuer

I guess these dudes have a real bugbear about snark.

Ties back to the line about ‘Women are afraid that men will kill them; men are afraid that women will laugh at them’, perhaps?

But yeah, there’s certainly a good bit of ‘Respect mah authoriteh!’ coming from some of these folks.

And the descriptions of ‘Cathedral’ above definitely makes them sound like Objectivist types, firmly convinced that the only reason they aren’t running things and able to do whatever they want is that the rest of society actually dares to try and give the unworthy chances as well. They’re the protagonists of their own stories, damnit, how dare these NPCs get more attention than them?!

Which ties back into the Kathy Sierra piece from before, too, about the ‘Koolaid Point’…

titianblue
titianblue

Anyone else reminded of Humpty Dumpty in Through the Looking Glass?

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean- neither more nor less.”

Bina

Not only are they no good at anything requiring wit, they’re actively incensed that we don’t find their arguments merit Taking Seriously, as they do. They think they’ve come up with something wildly new and original and clear-thinking, but really it’s just a stale reformulation of the following reactionary tropes:

Blacks are all lazy, degenerate and rapey!
Asians are going to outbreed us whites, oh noes!
Give women birth control, the right to choose, education, and the vote, and what do they turn into? SLUTS!
And why, oh why, are those sluts befriending blacks and Asians, instead of superior white cis-het male ME ME ME???

Calling this sludge a “Dark Enlightenment” is an awfully fancy way of saying “We don’t have the wits or the inclination to fight the real enemy (capitalism); we’re just gonna make up newfanglish terminology so people won’t realize that we’re the same old same old that they’ve already won out over countless times before. Maybe THEN they’ll Take Us Seriously!”

Pocket Nerd
Reply to  phasma

Thus Spake Zaraphasma :

I’ve been hearing “Cathedral” in libertarian discourse since at least 1999 (when I still had libertarian leanings myself). It’s not a new thing, although the typical usage has evolved considerably in the last 15 years; originally it referred solely a top-down command economy (which libertarians like to conflate with any kind of economic regulation whatsoever); nowadays libertarians seem to use it to mean simply “anything and everything about modern economics that we don’t like.” If a libertarian starts talking about the Cathedral, he’s probably only a few sentences away from calling somebody or something “statist”.

If I were a betting man, I’d wager a tidy sum that Moldbug had the libertarian usage in mind when he exapted the term for Dork Enlightenment purposes.

And you’re right, Cathedral is not MRA-specific — but my original point is that it’s very telling how libertarian and DE phrases keep popping up in MRA circles.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

“Neoreactionary Cat knows that the opposite of quality is equality.”

“Those like Manboobz are the real racists and misogynists.”

“He ignores biological realities of women and blacks to serve his ideology.”

Posted directly one after another on the same Tweet. Wha… How did he type the second one without spontaneously combusting? Even literal seven-year-olds would stop mid-sentence to wonder if they’re taking the rubber/glue schoolyard mentality too far.

vaiyt

Against equality, but tries to use racist as an insult.

Bina

I really love how they have to invent words for concepts they loathe. “Equalist”, for example. Is EGALITARIAN really so hard to type out? Their fingers must be constantly trembling with rage at knowing themselves to be constantly out-thought like this. Maybe that’s why they’re trying to save keystrokes.

@titian blue:

Anyone else reminded of Humpty Dumpty in Through the Looking Glass?

Very much so, especially when you look through the MGTOW glossary and see how they redefine sexist slurs. “Whore” doesn’t mean “has too much sex,” silly, it actually means “puts too high a price on sex” as in “doesn’t have sex readily enough.” Suddenly Tom Martin makes a lot more sense.

@vaiyt:

More like “uses racist as an insult again people who want equality.” It’s even more backwards.

*against

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

@Bina

“Egalitarian” wouldn’t fit into that sick burn of a pun.

phasma
phasma

@Pocket Nerd Thanks, it’s always nice to learn something new, even when the subject isn’t exactly something you could call appealing. Also, this kind of rhetorical convergence wouldn’t be really that surprising, given how many of DEers, including Moldbug, lean heavily libertarian. One would be hard-pressed to not notice the obvious parallels between how those two groups try to frame debates by trying to portray their opponents as religion-driven (be it overarching “statism” or “progressivism”).Which is pretty hilarious, considering that DEers are supposed to stand for The Traditional Way™

weirwoodtreehugger

Vaiyt,

He probable means racist against whites. Everyone knows reverse racism is the only true racism!

1 2 3