no trolls allowed open thread

Open Thread for Personal Stuff: October 2014 Dog Walk Dog Edition

Walking the dog
Walking the dog

An open thread for personal stuff, continuing from here.

As usual for these threads: no trolls, no MRAs, no I’m-not-really-an-MRA-buts, don’t be mean.

1.1K Comments

I cracked two ribs at a company picnic one year

You must have way more exciting company picnics than we do here.

kittehserf

Buttercup, yes! Just that hint of I don’t trust you, human, what’s this thing?

thebewilderness, that shower curtain is amazing! Makes me wish I had a curtain rather than glass door shower, because I would so buy it.

… Actually I’m tempted to anyway …

kittehserf

Or maybe not, because I’m stuffed if I’m paying over $80 for a shower curtain.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

You must have way more exciting company picnics than we do here.

It was during the dot com boom era, where there was more money than common sense. I was tubing behind a boat being driven by the VP of development. He thought it would be funny to drive the boat in sharp circles and create a three-foot high wake. The tube launched me several feet in the air. I hit the water on my side going 25 mph, which was like hitting concrete. He never even checked afterwards to see if I was OK, the jerk.

The injury toll from that picnic was quite impressive: a lacerated foot, a concussion, sunstroke, and someone got sick from too much watermelon vodka.

Post-recession, our company picnics have been along the lines of a hibachi in the parking lot. I think someone in legal wised them up to liability issues.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

That shower curtain is a thing of beauty, btw.

Puddleglum

Yay, NaNoWriMo is over!

kittehserf

Kitty’s moment of horror!

Puddleglum, yay!

Kim
Kim

OMG, my tumblr has been inundated with kitty pics for me to photoshop.

kittehserf’s Miss Katie got reblogged by a popular cat tumblr and I was away!
comment image

I’m so excited that I wanted to share with you all. 🙂

Policy of Madness

Holy shit that’s so cute!

Congrats on your fame, Kim! You deserve it!

kittehserf

If anyone heard the faint sound of squeeing, as from a great distance, earlier today, that was me when I saw Katiekins’s pic. 🙂

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

That is a brilliant pic.

kittehserf

Bein’ as it’s Katie, and knowing what she’s like, I’m trying to figure out if she’s a hatchling from that nest or a Spotted Tabby Cuckoo getting ready to dump the eggs over the side.

Policy of Madness

She’s in that egg-shape that cats take on, so my guess is that she is a legit member of that nest. 😀

grumpyoldnurse

SQUEEEEE!!!!!!!

Also, I talked to my boss. It turns out she is not a human being. She is, in fact, a fricking awesome human being. She is keeping my name out of all official reports and has already implemented a plan to keep my co-workers safe and has given me verbal assurance that I will not be the patient’s primary nurse ever again. She totally respected my boundaries about not pressing charges (although she did offer to support me if I wanted to) and also respected the fact that I did not want to name the co-worker who was also assaulted. Social work and security are both on the job with violence prevention, too. There was also an announcement at daily report to alert staff about the incident (without going into too much detail or mentioning my name) and to remind people that we are allowed to set whatever boundaries we need to with regard to physical contact.

All in all, it was the best possible outcome!

I would also like to thank all of you, again, for your kind support and advice. You guys really came through for me! 🙂

Hooray!

I mean, it sucks that that happened to you in the first place, and it absolutely should not have. But it’s great that your manager has your back.

mildlymagnificent

Hallelujah!! A boss who knows the right way to boss.

Lucky you, grumpynurse.

Policy of Madness

I started making bread about 4 hours ago (because making bread in the evening is apparently something I wanted to do today) and I set it next to my computer for the second rising.

IT SMELLS SO GOOD. I’ve never done this recipe before. I needed something that didn’t require a lot of kneading, so that I could get away with kneading it with the dough hook. I’m trying this Sally Lunn recipe from Martha Fucking Stewart and it already smells delicious and it hasn’t even gone into the oven yet.

grumpyoldnurse

@ Policy of Madness – Mmmmmm, Home made bread… Yeah, I’m about as happy as can be expected. I might even try making some bread, myself!

@ mildlymagnificent – I can’t tell you how grateful I am that my boss is not a lizard person. I’ve dealt with some real charmers over the years, so it’s a relief to have a manager who manages, instead of bullying.

kittehserf

grumpyoldnurse! YAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! ::dances round room::

PoM – then there could be Other Katies hatching soon! I don’t know whether being excited or being very, very afraid would be more appropriate. (This is a cat who winds kings round her velvet paws, after all.)

Mmmm, new bread. Yum, yum, yum …

Here’s the recipe I’m using:

We have an epic stand mixer of epicness and the recipe does not actually call for kneading.

Grumpyoldnurse: So glad to hear it!

kittehserf

Let us know how it comes out, PoM!

contrapangloss

GrumpyOldNurse:

THAT IS AWESOME! I LOVE YOUR MANAGER!! THREE CHEERS FOR THE NON-LIZARD PEOPLE BOSSES! FIVE CHEERS FOR GRUMPYOLSNURSE AND FIGURING THINGS OUT!

CHEERS FOR CHEERING!!!!

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYWHOOTWHOOOOOOT!

(sorry, couldn’t help myself. Was doing a little happy dancing, too)

I’m still sorry that you had to go through that, but it sounds like the situation is being managed in the best possible way for the situation and for you. Yay for coworkers being protected, yay for you never having to be bad-patients primary nurse, and yay for your manager!

grumpyoldnurse

Thanks, everyone! I couldn’t be much happier right now if I won the lotto!
:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

Policy of Madness

The crumb is a little dense. I probably should have let it rise a bit longer. I was afraid of that, because the recipe calls for a gianormous pan that I think no non-industrial human being has in their kitchen, so I divided the dough and put it into two separate pans. This made it hard to judge the rise and hard to judge how long to bake. I baked it the right amount of time, but should have given it another probably 30 minutes to rise.

The flavor is fantastic, though. It’s rich and buttery, and really needs no toppings. I’m just cutting slices and munching it.

mildlymagnificent

In that case, it’s just as well you separated it into two loaves.

————————————————————————————-
And just to spoil the happy mood, I thought I was sick to death of gaming posts. But this one makes me realise that the all-day-every-day misogynists are quite sickening enough on their own.

Fibinachi

Ah shit, grumpyoldnurse, that’s really bad and I hop– oh. It’s already solved in a meaningful, effecient manner that helps you and everyone else?

Oh.

Congratulations! That’s super good news!

kittehserf

mildlymagnificent – yeah, I read that earlier today. Mind you it comes as no surprise that judgytwit is being her usual scabrous self.

I’m having such fun at the moment, converting files on Calibre so I can read online stuff on my Kobo. My Captain Hook fanfic collection is growing apace. 😀

weirwoodtreehugger

Glad the boss came through GON!

grumpyoldnurse

@ Fibinachi – yeah, I was really shocked, too.

@ mildlymagnificent – I just don’t have the fight in me, right now, to look at a JB post. The creepy bunnies on the front page just now are nightmare inducing enough for me at the moment, thankyouverymuch!

@ kittehserf – Captain Hook fanfic is a thing, now? Where might one locate some, hypothetically speaking? I’m only asking for a friend and it’s not for me! Stop looking at me!

grumpyoldnurse

Thanks, WWTH! It’s so nice to be pleasantly surprised by people, for a change!

kittehserf

I wouldn’t look at you, grumpyoldnurse! Of course I wouldn’t look at you!

And it’s not really my collection, of course. I’m just doing it for a *cough* technically challenged *cough* friend *cough*.

Now, hypothetically speaking … these are pretty good stories. They’re Hook/Wendy romances, except Faerie Rings, which is about the one child who loves Hook, contrary to Pan’s claim that none do. I like them all. None of them is the OUAT Hook, who does nothing for me; they’re all based on the lovely Mr Isaacs. There’s a bit of sex in most of them (well of course) and Faerie Rings gets very violent in places (well, I’d have got violent in that situation, too).

Cove of the Moon
– Hook and his modern-day love

Faerie Rings

Not Old, Alone or Done For

Those three are all from the one site, but if you look up An Archive Of Our Own or Adult Fiction you’ll find more. (Yes, the Adult Fiction is what it sounds like; there’s a lot of slash.) Look for Peter Pan fandoms and you’ll be pretty right.

Needless to say the writing quality varies hugely. Some stories I give up on after the first paragraph of capitalised speech tags. ::shudder::

There’s also an actual published book out, Alias Hook by Lisa Jensen. It’s really, really good; Hook narrates it and Jensen writes very well.

Say, let me know if you want my email addy to talk about this stuff, or just generally!

For your friend, of course, I mean. *cough*

grumpyoldnurse

Thanks, kittehserf! I mean, please thank your friend for my friend! Yeah, yeah, that’s what I mean…

I’ve seen you mention Alias Hook before, and it sounds good. Will certainly try to give it a read. Must agree with you on OUAT’s Hook. They reduced this seductive, brilliant force of masculinity to a mere pretty boy. It was almost as sad as what Sherlock did to Irene Adler! (still like OUAT and love Sherlock, though!)

I can’t remember the name of the book off hand, but I have a version of Treasure Island told from Long John Silver’s point of view. I loved Treasure Island when I was small, and it was very refreshing to see what Silver’s narrative may have been. Also, the book contained rather biting social commentary about some of the nasty stuff that was pushed to the back in Treasure Island. Thoroughly good read, and I wish I could find it so that I could recommend it accurately. My Google-fu has also failed me, too, and turned up nothing!

Kim
Kim

Do either of these sound like it grumpyoldnurse?

John Silver was also the protagonist in Björn Larsson’s fictional autobiography of the character, Long John Silver: the True and Eventful History of My Life of Liberty and Adventure as a Gentleman of Fortune and Enemy to Mankind (ISBN 1-86046-538-2 respectively 91-7263-285-2). The novel was first published in Sweden in 1995.

Silver is the main character in Silver—My Own Tale As Told By Me With A Goodly Amount Of Murder by Edward Chupack (ISBN 978-0-312-53936-8).

kittehserf

My friend says your friend’s welcome, grumpyoldnurse!

I’ve heard of a book narrated by Long John Silver too, but I can’t recall the name at all, so I don’t know if it’s one of those Kim quoted.

Love the title of the Chupack one. Truth in advertising!

kittehserf

Oh my

Long John Silver has been played by both Brian Blessed and Tom Baker

grumpyoldnurse

@ Kim – The first sounds like it, although I thought the title was shorter. Maybe I had a different translation.

@ kittehserf – Brian Blessed as Long John Silver? Oh, my! 🙂

contrapangloss

… is it weird that I (as a kid in my 20s) find two middle-aged ladies covertly sharing links to fanfic under the guise of “from my friend to your friend” kind of adorable?

I don’t do fic often, but when I do I go for the fluffy. Fluff is good. Fluff is so good. Plot is also good. I like plots.

grumpyoldnurse

@ contrapangloss – I don’t think it’s weird (of course, I could be just a titch biased). I’m actually glad we’re not squicking you out! 🙂

contrapangloss

Well, “Adult” fanfic is scary. I much prefer the K+ to T variety. I may be an adult, but I’m so not mature enough for M.

So, yeah.

My “Ewww! Gross! Adult People talking about reading fanfic with the nasty!” instincts are currently being over-ridden by the “D’awwww” feels of the covertness and fanfic/fandom bonding.

grumpyoldnurse

On that note, this probably isn’t the best forum for an ongoing discussion of this nature!

So, yes please, kittehserf, I would like your email. I’m going to assume that you have access to mine, by virtue of being a mod?

weirwoodtreehugger

The staffing agency I signed up with is submitting my resume for a temp to hire position at a behavioral health company. It’ll require a phone interview first so wish me luck!

Good luck, WWTH!

grumpyoldnurse

Good luck, WWTH!

Good luck, WWTH!

weirwoodtreehugger

Thanks everyone! The job sounds like a great fit for my experience and education and hopefully they need to hire someone quickly and that’s why they go through a temp agency. I feel cautiously optimistic.

Policy of Madness

So, my goal with the bread was not actually to just eat hunks of naked bread. It was to make French toast.

I can report that, even with a very dense crumb, this bread makes fantastic French toast.

And yes, I did just eat French toast for dinner. I’m an adult and I get to do stuff like that. I am not ashamed!

@WWTH

Some companies routinely use temp agencies to make new hires. It gives them a chance to try someone out without going to all the legal hassle of making that person an employee. It’s a lot easier to dismiss someone who is on a temp assignment than someone who has actually been hired.

If this is that kind of company, they will hire you as soon as they are assured that you are a good fit.