no trolls allowed open thread

Open Thread for Personal Stuff: October 2014 Dog Walk Dog Edition

Walking the dog
Walking the dog

An open thread for personal stuff, continuing from here.

As usual for these threads: no trolls, no MRAs, no I’m-not-really-an-MRA-buts, don’t be mean.

1.1K Comments
contrapangloss

@grumpyoldnurse:

Yeah, that’s what they tell us, but it really doesn’t seem like the best way to go most of the time. You know your situation way better than I do.

The only bit of my post that I stand firmly by is that you are an awesome person, who would make a fine coworker.

Squee!!!

“Tell me a story of when you were a kitten, Grandpa!”.

“I can’t, little one”.

“Sure you can, Grandpa!”, stops to nibble on fore leg, “I bet you were a great kitten”.

“I never was, little one”.

“You mean, you were always old, Grandpa?”.

“No, little one. I mean I was never a kitten”.

“You must have been little one time, Grandpa”.

“Yes, I was, little one”.

“So, tell us a story of when you were a kitten, Grandpa”.

“I can’t, little one. I was a puppy!”.

“That’s silly, Grandpa! Dogs were puppies”.

“Go back to sleep, little one”.

“OK, Grandpa. G’night”.

kittehserf

You can tell he’s too humble to be a sea lion…

Bwahahahahaha!

Love your Grandpa story!

grumpyoldnurse

Thanks, contrapangloss, very kind of you! 🙂

I just really hate it when policies try to shoe horn solutions without taking into account the context of the situation. I did work with a nurse who pressed charges against a violent patient once. It turned out kind of OK for her, but the rest of the staff really supported her, as did the head nurse (this was a long time ago). But that ward was completely different than where I work now. I can expect to see this patient for a very long time to come, and will probably have to provide care for him in the future. I honestly don’t think pressing charges would help me get any closure, and I really doubt that it would protect my co-workers. I’d much prefer an in-house solution.

Also, and I realise how stupid this is even as I type it, I keep wondering what I did wrong, you know? I guess I’ve really been successfully socialised to accept responsibility for other people’s actions towards me. I know how messed up that is, but I still feel guilty and ashamed.

grumpyoldnurse

@ kittehserf – thanks! Humour and squee are my crutches of choice, these days.

kittehserf

They’re pretty darn good ones, too, grumpyoldnurse.

gilshalos

@GoN Also, you didn’t wimp. You told all your colleagues so they knew to beware.

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

More Merkin:

Such a sweet, gentle doggie.

Grumpy Old Nurse, I have nothing helpful to contribute, but I’m sorry that happened and that it put you in such a difficult situation.

kittehserf

Spring gardening help.

Kim
Kim

I’ve only been through Sitka once, and it was gorgeous. It also has awesome SCUBA diving, if you happen to be certified.

I do happen! I didn’t even think of scuba diving there, but I’ll have to look it up. Is it the kind of thing you’d want a dry suit or at least a semi-dry to do?

contrapangloss

You’d want a dry. If it’s summer, you can get away with a semi-dry… and there are some silly people who go with wet-suits.

Not a good idea, though.

Dry suits are worth it.

Kim
Kim

Wow, a semi-dry in summer – that’s harsh. I’ve only dived somewhere cold enough for a semi-dry once and I only lasted 20 minutes in the water, but it was worth it because it was to dive with seals.

Being above the water however, was not fun. oh my god the smell.

mildlymagnificent

Being above the water however, was not fun. oh my god the smell.

Yup. The Smell.

Watching docos on tele is far and away the best means of looking at animals. We used to have quite a large colony of little penguins down at Granite Island off Victor Harbor. There’s barely a handful left now. They were seriously cute to watch (they used to be called fairy penguins, little cute bundles of waddling feathers), but the smell!! on a warm day was more than a soul could bear.

contrapangloss

… it’s not that cold. The person I know who did a lot of diving in Sitka just really likes keeping warm.

If you want to know ocean temps, Noaa tracks them pretty well. The average summer gets up to 56 degrees F at the surface, while winter usually gets to right around 40.

cassandrakitty

Some of the seals here don’t smell that bad? The sea lions down by the pier in San Francisco do, but my dad dragged me to Monterey while he was here and all the seals were up on the dock rather than in the water (because a great white had recently been swimming around the harbor near them, at which point they all hopped out of the water and up on the dock, according to a local fisherman), and they weren’t stinky at all.

GrumpyOldNurse, I think you should do whatever feels like the best option to you, since you know your situation. Definitely make sure that your coworkers all end up knowing about this guy, though, since it sounds like nobody realized he was a potential problem before.

(Hugs)

grumpyoldnurse

Hey, thanks, everyone, for the support and kind words and wishes.

I’m doing better today, because I have a (hopefully) pretty good plan to deal with this. Also, sleep has helped.

Right now, I’d much rather discuss SCUBA diving with interesting wild life! 🙂

cassandrakitty

Distraction? I can do that. So, fisherman being totally nonchalant about the great white that had just been swimming around near his boat (“it was just a young one”, he says)? I love that about California, how everyone has just adjusted to the fact that these giant toothy things that are almost as ancient as dinosaurs are swimming around in large numbers just offshore.

grumpyoldnurse

It’s cool how people adjust to stuff in their environment. It’s not necessarily that one is being indifferent, you just stop being terrified. I’ve been hiking and camping a lot in grizzly country. I’m not scared of bears, but I sure do have a healthy respect for them! I also follow all the rules of safe camping and food storage. I still know that a bear incident is still possible, I just take reasonable precautions and keep my eyes open. I imagine your fisherman is much the same way. Whereas I, a person from a non-great white area, would be freaked out by sharing water with such a being! Even if I was in a nice safe boat!

cassandrakitty

I think part of it is that nobody can operate while in a state of pants-wetting terror for very long, or very effectively, so we just sort of adjust. Certainly I’m not too keen on going swimming here, and the water is too cold anyway, but the “holy shit, WTF, we’re all going to die” feeling does seem to fade after a while. I mean, I used to go swimming in Saudi, and everyone knows there are shitloads of barracuda there.

grumpyoldnurse

Barracuda!?! GAH! This land lubber needs to go hide under a bed, now!

One thing about where I am today; all the bears are hibernating, and any great whites or barracuda would freeze solid! It’s too cold to drive anywhere today, so the little grumps and I are hunkering down and trying to stay warm and amused inside. The temp is only about -30, but the wind chill is more like -45. Brrrrrr!

cassandrakitty

“Only” minus 30? Really? I think I’ll take my chances with the sharks, at least they’re not guaranteed to try to eat me every winter.

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

If anyone needs a distraction, we could post pictures of our cat traps

See! That’s what I mean about adapting to one’s surroundings! 🙂

gilshalos

This is in ref to past mentions of 51st state and if it is Aus or UK. (OK, I just love the song)

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Those cat circles are cool! Maybe it has the same appeal as crop circles. Cats, remembering their alien past…

@grumpyoldnurse – I’m really sorry that happened to you. I hope you can get the support you need to make sure it doesn’t happen to you or your colleagues again.

OT: Just went bowling with my 3 year old twins. Worst $10 I ever spent.

cassandrakitty

Wouldn’t the balls be heavier than the children?

Robert
Robert

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area, close enough to the water that we had seagulls in the elementary school playground and knew when it was low tide by the smell. Never had the slightest desire to go into the water deeper than my knees, and that was before learning about sharks. Somehow, though, knowing that I was close to salt water felt right; every time I’ve visited the interior of the continent*, it’s been a little strange.

So far, North America and Europe.

kittehserf

I am really going to have to try those cat traps. 😀

gilshalos

*blinks* Format just changed between one refresh and another

kittehserf

What does it look like now, gilshalos?

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Nothing has changed for me.

gilshalos

It reset as before after I posted. For a brief moment the type was bigger

kittehserf

WP being weird again.

What got me was when the theme changed a while back – instead of the sort of wallpaper pattern background, it’s almost uniform black, now.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

@cassandrakitty – Excited toddlers with six pound balls on a waxed, slippery surface. What could possibly go wrong?

kittehserf

Yikes!

cassandrakitty

I just hope it was more “hilarious pratfalls” and less “trip to the ER”.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Well, kind of in between. Twin #2 was “helping” me bowl, got excited, and started chasing the ball down the lane. Instinctively I ran forward to grab him, momentarily forgetting that the lanes are coated with oil. There were two successive “whams” and I found myself flat on my back seeing stars, with Twin #2 flat on his back howling. It took an hour to calm him down. He was hysterical. I wrenched quite a few muscles in my neck, back, and knee, thanks to all four limbs skating in different directions. It hurts when I breathe deeply.

Meanwhile, thanks to Twin #1, we owe the alley one skee ball.

So I guess we can cross professional bowling off the career possibility list.

cassandrakitty

Eek, I hope you have some really good painkillers. At least the kids probably won’t want to go again either?

cassandrakitty

Also, it’s amazing how a fall flat on the back can wipe the air right out of you.

kittehserf

Buttercup, holy hell! 🙁

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

It’s also amazing how you can feel relatively OK right after, and then the effects slowly start to make themselves felt over the next few hours. I can feel other muscles tightening up in response to the ones that got whacked. Hopefully Tylenol and a hot bath will help, but I have a feeling I’m going to be pretty sore tomorrow. Who knew bowling was so hazardous?

Twin #2 has said he’s willing to try again “when I’m fifteen”. You’re on your own, kid.

cassandrakitty

In a moment of delicious irony this proves that bowling with your toddlers is more hazardous and thus better at building character than gaming.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Was I being misandrous, making them do meat-bowling instead of pressing manly manly man-buttons on a console?

cassandrakitty

Well, how do you expect them to learn how to get laid at the bowling alley? Not enough pixellated boobs, it’ll never work.

grumpyoldnurse

OMG Buttercup! Might I suggest that you add an NSAID to the Tylenol, as long as you don’t have a contraindication to them? I personally prefer naprosyn, but ibuprofen is good, too. You can alternate the Tylenol and NSAID and get pretty good pain control and actually take less medicine! Also try an ice pack after your bath to get the swelling down. Unfortunately, you’re probably going to hurt even more tomorrow. Be gentle with yourself for a few days. Are you sure that you didn’t break any ribs?

kittehserf

I just did the Cat Trap experiment. Some kitties are too clever – or too suspicious – to fall for it.

kittehserf

“And they call it puppy love …”

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

You’re right, cassandrakitty – they don’t even lift! They’re doomed! Though they also have tantrums and don’t wipe their bottoms, which is uber-manly, so that should cancel out any omega cooties they might have caught from bowling.

grumpyoldnurse – thanks for the tips! I like ibuprofen better than Tylenol for muscle soreness and swelling, but they make a good combination for staying ahead of pain. I think my ribs are OK. It feels more like lots of muscles that were suddenly asked to do startling and new things in midair. I cracked two ribs at a company picnic one year, and I remember what that felt like. It lasted for weeks.

kittehserf – hahaha! I love the tiny arch right at the end. Just the hint of suspicion.

I want to try cat-trapping my kitty, but he’s draped over the cat condo fast asleep atm. Will report back with any results.