all about the menz contraception crackpottery men invented everything men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA reddit

Men's Rights Biology 101: "Modern women choose to have periods instead of being permanently pregnant. That's a choice given to them by men."

Not considered an effective birth control method.
Not considered an effective birth control method.

Yes, I’m cribbing from r/againstmensrights again, but this is really too good not to share. Legendary Men’s Rights Crank DavidByron2 offers a little biology lesson to his comrades on the Men’s Rights Subreddit. I’m sure this will be news to a lot of you gals as well.

Only modern day women have monthly periods. In history women were more or less permanently pregnant until they hit menopause or died. When you’re pregnant you don’t get periods. Modern women choose to have periods instead of being permanently pregnant. That’s a choice given to them by men, even while men still have to continue with their historic gender roles of protecting the no-longer-always-pregnant women.

Huh. Never mind that birth control of various sorts has been around since time immemorial. And while most methods of birth control were a bit less than reliable until the twentieth century, various cultures have used extended breastfeeding to successfully ward off pregnancy. So no, women were not permanently pregnant until the smart mens came along and selflessly gave birth control to the women.

Criticaldragon1177

David Futrelle,

So I suppose that women like vestal virgins in ancient Rome, not to mention nuns and Elizabeth the first ( The virgin queen ) never existed? I wonder how MRA’s would explain those women if women the past were “always” too pregnant to have monthly periods. That is in addition to everything else you mentioned here.

cloudiah

Not to mention that this part of the comment

women were more or less permanently pregnant until they hit menopause or died.

pretty much rests on the assumption that women couldn’t say no to sex.

I would have more generous assumptions if we weren’t dealing with Men’s Rape Activists.

Criticaldragon1177

Cloudiah,

“Men’s Rape Activists,” that’s a good one, especially given sick organizations like this, openly celebrating a man’s “right” to rape his wife.

Masculinist India: A woman-hating “Men’s Rights” group even more extreme than its Western inspirations

LBT
LBT

Rogan: *snort* Aw, how nice of the men, curing periods by keeping women constantly pregnant! How gracious and selfless of them! I’m sure that people never, EVER had to try and restrict their family size for financial or health reasons! Nope, it was always just babies, babies babies! Most women never even GOT a period!

Shaun DarthBatman Day

So the *only* reason to care about women is if they are pregnant? Did I read that right? Also the only thing women are for is to be pregnant? I…I…uhy…*head explodes*

marinerachel
marinerachel

Lots of “modern women” choose not to have periods at all.

M. the Social Justice Ranger
M. the Social Justice Ranger

So, how do infertile women fit into this? Or do I not exist to them? =P

chaltab
chaltab

I definitely think we should backronymn the letters MRA to “Male Rape Advocate” or “Apologist” or something, since it’s pretty fucking clear they don’t care about rights.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

What is this “fall on your knees and thank men for your period” nonsense? Where did this guy get the quaint notion that birth control was gifted, Prometheus-like, to the feeemale race by men?

Two words: Margaret Sanger.

I love how they think they deserve a medal for being oh so chivalrous with dispensing basic bodily autonomy rights that weren’t theirs to dispense in the first place.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I would presume it came from the unfounded, non-researched assumption that MRAs seem to hold dear: that all of human civilization was invented and built by men, because women are no good at science and engineering and stuff.

sorceressensorcelled
sorceressensorcelled

Soooooo… Men have the power to GIVE us things like birth control and the right to NOT be pregnant all the time, but we’re still the oppressors, right? I will never not be confused by MRA ideology.

ikanreed
ikanreed

It’s hard to imagine what mental convolutions led someone to think this is a good argument. Rather than an incredibly self-defeating one, that highlights deep character flaws with the argument maker.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

@sorceressensorcelled

Men have the power to give (or not give) BC to women, but women control the power of the men, and therefore wield this power themselves, because: butts. Men are therefore just instrumental in women giving BC to themselves. Women can’t do this (give something they actually control to themselves) without the runaround involving men because of Reasons.

Xen
Xen

The stupidity of that comment…Just no.

sparky
sparky

What does menstruation have to do with men’s rights?

‘Cause I’m pretty sure they’re not thinking about trans men here.

Leah
Leah

Men gave women the “choice” to have periods? LMAO. David, do think there’s a possibility that that guy might be trolling?

But then again, Red pillers are MEN, so that means they invented science, technology, society, art anf fought wars while we ungrateful women sat on our asses and played with our smartphones, amirite? so why not periods also?

And does he seriously think that being pregnant and popping out babies constantly is less painful than having periods? is there is one thing that’s painful, it’s childbirth.

He reminds of that Ray Wolf dickhead who talks about how painful his girlfriends pregnancy was for HIM and completely disregards her feelings and safety:

ignorant, foolish men should just keep their traps shut about pregnancy, period. They lack the empathy to ever understand such a thing.

Mia Jessica
Mia Jessica

@Leah – Dammit, you made me realize how long it’s been since the office carpet has been vacuumed after I picked my jaw off the floor when I finished that horrific and hilarious natural childbirth article. Good grief.

seraph4377

Leaving everything else aside, do they actually believe that every single sexually active woman ever used to catch pregnant on the first try? Even today, a healthy couple having unprotected sex for a year doesn’t have quite 100% odds of getting pregnant.

Puddleglum

I’m confused. Do these doodz think that women’s natural state of being is pregnant? Creepy. Very creepy.

roguepixie
roguepixie

Forced pregnancy… one of those pesky red flags of severely abusive relationships. I think underneath it all, that post (and others like it) are just a pretzel-y way of saying, “I have a right to keep her barefoot and pregnant; that’s how things should be”. The rest of the philosophy seems to follow: “Then I have a right to claim she’s privileged, because I have to pay (to keep her dependent), so anything I do goes…”

Then they come up with ‘cute’ terms like ‘gash cash’ to imply that women get money for either having vaginas or for having been wounded in life—by people like them, most often, but—details, details…

When I’m not laughing at the absurdity of MRA-speak, I’m crying.

Bina
Bina

Oh thank you, gracious men! How could we ever do it without you? >breaks out lacy hankie, weeps, blows nose daintily<

Meanwhile, somewhere in the Paleolithic, a cavewoman is gathering emmenagogue herbs to help prevent an ill timed birth. After all, winter is not a good time for birthin' no babies.

Puddleglum

Wait, if men are responsible for women having monthly periods, doesn’t that also mean they’re also responsible for PMS? /snark

MRAs: failures at biology, history, and logic. Sigh.

Bina
Bina

But then again, Red pillers are MEN

>smacks forehead<

OMG, now it all makes sense! The Red Pill is red…because that's the one that conveys the manly male mojo that "lets" us get our periods!!!

Bina
Bina

Har! I once saw a coffee mug that read “PMS = Putting up with Men’s Shit”. How I wish I’d bought that thing. It seems so germane to all this.

Leah
Leah

Mia: I know, right? I was pretty shocked when I read it and I had to share it somewhere it might get the mockery it deserves. The worst part it that that Guys gonna be a father. And He’s thinking about how he can use his daughter to control his girlfriend instead of how Lucky he is that the childbirth went well. Had something gone wrong, the doctors and nurses would’ve been far away because he insisted on homebirth like the pighead he is.

LBT
LBT

RE: Leah

What’s that dude mean, “How I Delivered My Daughter”? Dude, you ain’t the one with the baby inside you! You don’t get the credit!

It’s my belief that cis men in general need to shut the fuck up about pregnancy, because they’ll never experience, never once think they’ll experience it, and therefore, shouldn’t get to talk or legislate about how others should experience it.

RE: roguepixie

You’re telling my money comes out of my vagina whenever I want? WHY DIDN’T ANYONE TELL ME?

ceebarks
ceebarks

I have no idea what this dude’s point is, except to demonstrate that he’s an MRA and born to whine reactively, as the sparks fly upward. Thus I will simply point out that while it is true that one does not typically have periods during pregnancy, this reprieve is repaid with a vengeance during the several weeks following childbirth. The uninitiated might try googling “lochia.”

(And “history of abortion.”)

Amanda
Amanda

Leah, that article was absolutely sickening. He refers to his wife/mother of his child as “the poor bitch” and is more worried about his poor penis while she’s evidently having all the fun being pregnant … WTF? I didn’t read through much of the comments section, but was relieved to notice that all the comments I did read were people pointing out how disgusting his attitude is, which really says a lot. And OF COURSE he has to throw his money/status in there, and poke fun at women seeking middle management careers (never understood why the MRAs make such a big deal about this, compared to other career paths).

As for me, I have neither periods nor pregnancy. I have the Mirena IUD. It was very painful to get put in (twice … once every 5 years), but the peace of mind it gives me is great. I’m in an LTR and don’t plan on having kids, so for me it’s the perfect solution! 🙂

gilshalos

I still think Menopause at 30 is the winner!

Bina
Bina

I’m just waiting for one of them to point out that there are MEN in MENstruation and MENopause. And to seriously think that they themselves are the reason for that (and not, oh no never, some Latin word for “month”.)

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

It wasn’t until agriculture that women got enough calories in to have large numbers of kids, and it was expeditious to do so, because you were breeding your own workforce and fighting force.

I have a hunch the biblical homosexuality prohibition was. really about ” hey, they’re not making more Jewish warriors! They’re betraying the cause! ”
Totally speculation on my part.

tinyorc

Hahaha, this guy’s misandry radar is going to go through the roof when he finds out that most forms of hormonal birth control stop periods is all together. WOMEN REALLY CAN HAVE IT ALL NONE. You know. Whatever.

Me, I’ve never been on the pill or any form of hormonal birth control, even when I was in a long term relationship. This was the height of misandering, because it meant my partner always had to wear a condom. But as weird as it sounds, I actually quite like my period. I don’t know why. It’s probably because I’m one of the lucky people who only get very mild cramps/fairly minimal mood changes.

However, I do get ovulation cramps or mittelschmerz, which is pretty cool if a bit painful. It’s basically a sharp pain in my abdomen that lasts between 6 and 12 hours. It always happens exactly 14 days before my period, almost down to the hour, and it alternates sides every month, so I can literally feel my ovaries taking turns. One month I got the cramps on both sides and I was like OMG I AM RELEASING TWO EGGS AT ONCE I COULD HAVE NON-IDENTICAL TWINS.

This has been entirely too much information about tinyorc’s period. TL;DR While mildly inconvenient, mainly my period reminds me how awesome bodies are.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Well, you see, when the egg is sitting there in the ovary it can’t just move itself along, because women are lazy and ineffective. Thus, a man must take that little lady by the hand and persuade her eggs to get a move on by talking directly to the appropriate area (which the woman herself may consider a welcome change from him talking to her boobs).

And this is how menstruation happens.

LBT
LBT

RE: tinyorc

Rogan: I actually found your biology rather interesting. Also, I tried HBC and it just had me climbing walls. Testosterone turned out better, with fewer unpleasant side effects for me. (Though eventually I ended up quitting that too.)

My personal favorite HBC story is that my rapist basically tried to persuade me that condoms were unnecessary. He even gave me fucking bullshit print-out statistics, which I did not read because I knew they were full of shit. Apparently a twenty-year-old getting condoms is too difficult, but a sixteen-year-old getting HBC is just totally easy.

It is one of my few sources of pride that during the Raping Year, I still managed to control THAT. Maybe he still got to rape me, but at least asshole did not get to impregnate or bareback me.

Phoenician in a time of Romans
Phoenician in a time of Romans

Hey, the guy’s making a serious point! You little ladies should be THANKING him for your periods.

I suggest sending in your used tampons.

Shaun DarthBatman Day

This is all I can hear when MRA’s speak.

Phoenician in a time of Romans
Phoenician in a time of Romans

Blahtastic: Women in hunter-gatherer societies probably didn’t always menstruate, due to low body fat. They had to breastfeed for 4 years. Women in such societies had an average of 2 surviving kids…we humans pretty much barely exceeded replacement as far as reproduction went.

Nope. Hunter gatherers tended to be better fed than agriculturalists, and healthier. However, agriculturalists used the land more densely and could also build governments, which is why they won out. Modern hunter-gatherers got pushed to the margins, of course.

Extended breastfeeding was a way of preventing pregnancy as well as feeding kids. Hunter-gather societies, like agricultural societies, could always produce more kids than they could sustain – the usual response was contraception, abortion or deliberate exposure.

gelar
gelar

I suggest sending in your used tampons.

If it pleases the committee, I could crap, vomit and faint on him for good measure.

HowlOwl
HowlOwl

face + palm = catharsis

sunnysombrera

LBT and Leah: that raywolf article had me facepalming like you wouldn’t believe, BUT I am delightfully surprised at the number of comments that call him out for treating his wife like breeding stock. And they are heavily upvoted too.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

@ Phoenician…I was repeating what I learned in cultural anthropology class.
maybe the professor was mistaken? I dunno.
I do know HG people tended to be healthier, they certainly ate a better diet. They seem to have suffered less fluctuation in food supply according to fossils and coprolites- that at least I was able to find out with a brief search and skim.
* shrug*

Jurgan

Maybe he means men give them the choice not to be pregnant by not raping every fertile woman into pregnancy? I’m not even sure if I’m being sarcastic or if I really believe they’d think something that horrible.

seraph4377

Totally speculation on my part.

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if this was part of it. But personally, I can’t help but suspect that some patriarch somewhere decided it was gross, like with eating shellfish, after which it became an aspect of tribal identity: “We’re not like all those other Canaanites, who engage in such depraved practices!”

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Now we know what’s up with the two-dot ellipses. That third period gets lopped off and sacrificed to the ladiez, to be redeemed for cash and merchandise.

@Jurgan Oh, that’s exactly their line of thinking. They want women to be constantly aware of the horrible things they COULD be doing to them, and be properly grateful to them for not doing those things.

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

Not to mention that women don’t get pregnant every single cycle, even if they are sexually active and not using birth control. That isn’t something you need a biology class to know–it is basic common sense based on experience with reality.

Oh. Wait.

cloudiah

Look at this adorable dog who doesn’t believe an open door is open, and at how they convince him he can come in:

Bina
Bina

I suggest sending in your used tampons.

>fetches a padded envelope<

PADDED envelope. HA!

Amnesia
Amnesia

I suggest sending in your used tampons.

Now I’m trying to figure out if that could be an actual method of protest. Say, sending used tampons to politicians who are woefully ignorant yet adamantly opinionated about women’s reproductive health/sexuality, along with some snarky message like, “Since you’re so invested in what goes on between my legs, I thought you’d appreciate this.”

Probably not a good idea from a hygiene perspective, but fun to imagine.

lkeke35

Policy of Madness: Now, you just stop that!????

Jurgan: Yes! Yes, they would. Trust me. Yeah.

lacerta viridis
lacerta viridis

I am literally unable to respond to this because it’s too fucking stupid.

Here is a picture of a baby penguin instead: http://i.imgur.com/kv0nzBQ.jpg