#gamergate $MONEY$ antifeminism entitled babies evil SJWs expats false accusations harassment men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny no games for girls no girls allowed nonpology PUA reactionary bullshit red pill rhymes with roosh sarkeesian!

Did Professional Sarkeesian-hater Davis Aurini Commit Felony Wire Fraud? Hell if I know, but he’s definitely an unethical dick.

Davis Aurini, doing his best "Blue Steel" for the camera.
Davis Aurini, doing his best impersonation of a cartoon villain.

On Friday, expat woman-hating woman-chaser Roosh Valizadeh put up a post on his Return of Kings blog with the sensationalized headline Did Anita Sarkeesian Commit Felony Wire Fraud?”

Roosh breathlessly “reported” that

Two independent journalists have confirmed with the San Francisco Police Department that Anita Sarkeesian, a video game social justice warrior, may have used false pretenses to raise money for her non-profit entity. The police have said that she has not contacted them as she claimed after receiving a Twitter death threat in August. Under Federal law, this may put her on the hook for felony wire fraud.

The two “independent journalists” in question are tech journalist and self-described “fan of 4chan” Milo Yiannopoulos of Breitbart, and Davis Aurini, the cigarette-smoking, scotch-drinking, Anton LaVey-looking blogger who’s trying to raise money to make a “documentary” about the evils of Anita Sarkeesian and “social justice warriors.”

Both journalists – well, the one dude who writes for a sleazeball right-wing site and the other dude who’s not actually a journalist at all – did indeed contact the San Francisco Police Department and were told by a media spokesman that he couldn’t find a record of Sarkeesian contacting them about the threats she received in August.

This bit of “news” sent #GamerGaters and other Sarkeesian-haters around the internet into a bit of a frenzy.

But it turns out they got worked up over nothing. The police spokesman just hadn’t looked hard enough. A day after Tweeting a number of accusatory questions to Sarkeesian, Yiannopoulos had to backtrack, noting in a series of Tweets that he’d had another conversation with the SFPD, who told him that Sarkeesian had in fact reported the harassment to the FBI.

Another writer posted emails he’d gotten from the police spokesman that seemed to confirm Yiannopoulos’ updated information. In the emails, SFPD Public Information Officer Albie Esparza said that Sarkeesian had indeed contacted the SFPD in August but that the case had been handed off to the FBI. (I’ve confirmed this with Esparza .)

Given that the main “proof” that Sarkeesian was lying about the threats she said she received had just vanished into thin air, you might expect that Roosh and Aurini might, you know, correct their now-clearly incorrect posts on the subject and retract their accusations. Well, not so much.

Roosh’s post remains up, with only a brief “update” at the end, noting that “the police have changed their story and now state that they were contacted.” Aurini’s post remains unchanged, and as I write this he’s posted nothing more on the subject.

Even considering the people we’re dealing with here, the hypocrisy is breathtaking.

Roosh ends his post by declaring that

these new revelations concerning Sarkeesian show that no form of media is safe from the SJW and feminist agenda, and that we must do all the fact checking ourselves. The entire media establishment in the United States is potentially corrupt. Proceed accordingly.

Yet he refuses to frankly acknowledge that the “new revelations concerning Sarkeesian” were based on faulty information, offering instead a weasel-worded “update.”

Aurini, for his part, claims in his post to be “fight[ing] for openness and integrity within Tech and Video Game circles.” But he hasn’t bothered to update his post.

When ethical journalists discover that they were wrong about something, they acknowledge their errors and post straightforward corrections. When they get something spectacularly wrong, they apologize.

Somehow I don’t think we’ll be getting apologies from either of these guys.

And thus we get to the whole wire fraud thing. In his post, Roosh repeated a claim made by Mike Cernovich of the “game” blog Danger and Play, who tweeted:

As it turns out, there’s zero proof that Sarkeesian lied about anything here. And she made no direct connection between the threats and her Tweet asking for donations.

Indeed, by Cernovich’s logic it’s Davis Aurini, not Anita Sarkeesian, who’s guilty of felony wire fraud. Why?

Because in his post, he made a direct connection between his accusations against Sarkeesian and his own fundraising efforts. Here’s how he ended his piece:

Personally, I’d like to see a lot MORE documentation on Sarkeesian, because this isn’t the only claim she’s made which I suspect is fraudulent – and not just her, but all of the individuals hiding behind the shield of Social Justice, and the journalists who have been aiding and abetting them, culminating in outrage known as #GamerGate. That’s why Jordan Owen and myself have started a Patreon page, so that we can create a feature-length documentary about these people and their methods, and how they bully and victimize the very people they claim to support.

So please help us get this documentary made, so that we can fight for openness and integrity within Tech and Video Game circles, and expose the professional victims for the con artists that they are. Please support our documentary, The Sarkeesian Effect: Inside the World of Social Justice Warriors.

Given that Aurini now knows that his post was based on faulty information, and given that he hasn’t corrected his post or retracted his insinuations, could he now be guilty of felony wire fraud?

For what it’s worth, I don’t think so. While admittedly I’m no lawyer, Cernovich’s logic seems to me like a bit of a stretch.

I do feel safe in saying, however, that neither Roosh V. nor Davis Aurini should be lecturing anyone about ethics.

UPDATE: I confirmed with the SFPD that Sarkeesian had indeed called the SFPD and that the case was handed off to the FBI; the post has been updated to reflect that.

thebewilderness

Your information is out of date, Sean.

Sean Hall

If a man writes this blog he is probably trying to gain favor with women. I’m sure he’s really confused as to why he doesn’t get any.

Sean Hall

BULLSHIT!!!!!!! there is no Police report

thebewilderness

This troll is tedious and predictable. Good for filling up bingo cards but not much else.

It's A Furret (@RicksWriting)

I think you might have missed the more recent article. It might behoove you to consider it. It won’t make you right, of course, or less of a motormouth, just vaguely more aware.
If you have seen it, I apologize. Continue with your insane ramblings.

thebewilderness

Say it really loud in all caps and the truthiness fairy will make it so.

I call it simple logic.

So you’re using an entirely new logical order? Invented by yourself??? I find this fascinating. Please elaborate on how this works. You can use your current argument as an example. First, lay out your premises in detail so I can follow along. Then explain how your new order of logic operates, what the theoretical scaffolding is, etc. and show me how you get from the premises to your conclusion (which, as far as I can tell, is that Sarkeesian is a lying liar who lies).

cloudiah

@emilygoddess, You were too nice in explaining the contradiction to him. I wanted to watch him flail around more, trying to figure it out.

I love how you accuse us, falsely, of throwing stale insults at you, and then hurl the stalest, tritest one of all at David. “David just writes this blog because he’s a pussy-begging mangina!” The lack of self awareness is truly stunning.

Sean Hall

I read all that nonsense…..it was a “tweet”. She’s backtracking. She would have a record of contacting them. She would have a name a Police report number.

cloudiah

How long until meltdown? I’m taking bets.

Sean Hall

Well, that is why he writes it? I mean what do you say about men who write blogs like Return of Kings? Do you give them a fair shot? Lets be honest, guys who do this and always….always trying to gain favor with women and “aren’t gonna be like that guy”.

Sean Hall

Until your meltdown? I’m guessing in a few posts? PS, who are you talking to?

Policy of Madness

Don’t get distracted by facts – we’re talking about logic here. The factual truth of the premises only needs to be tested if the logic is sound – if the logic isn’t sound, we can throw away the argument without troubling ourselves about the facts.

contrapangloss

Did we put a “David only writes this to get laid” square? I think we need one, if we don’t.

SO many trolls…

thebewilderness

This new “simple logic” is impervious to facts it would appear.

Sean Hall

If you can’t figure out simple logic then I can’t help you dear. However, you can continue to try and use a few big words you learned with your liberal arts degree to try and confuse me. It won’t work, but its a noble effort regardless.

marinerachel

We don’t know whether you hate your mother or are embittered, Sean. We don’t really care either. The problem is you whined about emotion dictating thought and then told us if we listened to our hearts we’d agree with your position. Ironic AND presumptuous. My heart doesn’t talk to me so I don’t listen to it re: harassment and truthiness. My default position though is not SHE LIE! It’s “I don’t know”. What I do know is she reported something to the police and that I get death and rape threats on the internet all the time SO I wouldn’t be surprised if other women who say things on the internet that men don’t necessarily like the sound of do too.

And I know that in my brain, not my heart or my vulva or whatever else it is these dudes believe I think with.

cloudiah

We need to have katz here ready to score this.

thebewilderness

So! I think we are starting to get a pretty clear picture of who this troll is, eh?

Sean Hall

Hey, if you ladies wanna give your child support checks to some huckster so she can (its hard to not laugh writing this) continue her campaign against sexism in video games…..damn, laughed again. Then go ahead, I won’t stop you.

contrapangloss

Daaaaaw! He thinks we all have liberal arts degrees!

Quick, oh mathy-mcMathy STEM man! Tell me how to get R sort a dataframe of 1024 rows with regards to 5 factors split into levels varying from 29 to 3.

Policy of Madness

If you can’t figure out simple logic then I can’t help you dear.

So you’re admitting that you’re not using any form of recognized logic, and have also not constructed a brand-new one of your own?

marinerachel

….I’m a scientist. Why is he using pet names and assuming posters have liberal arts degrees? Are these things he knows in his heart? Did his heart tell him that?

contrapangloss

Or, I’ll be nice. Get R to just do a nice mixed-effect model with a simple dataframe.

Sean Hall

Hey, like I said…..believe what you want. She would have posted a police report number, a name, and would follow up when they ran the IP address and caught who sent the threats (something that is pretty easy to do these days). But I’ll tell you what…..you will NEVER see who wrote those threats. You wanna know why?

Sean Hall

I’m very happy you are a Scientist. I bet you never complain about the “wage gap” right?

marinerachel

….. I don’t receive child support either. Did your heart tell you that too? You should get that thing checked.

Policy of Madness

I’m also a scientist, and I know what logic is, which seems to put me above Sean in the knowing-how-to-think category …

Sean Hall

Ahhh, you have argument so you are trying to twist the reasoning behind logic. How very leftist of you. Adorable. She lied, and deep down you all know it. You really do know it.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

BULLSHIT!!!!!!! there is no Police report

Fuck off.

marinerachel

I’m not a Scientist. I’m a scientist. It’s not a religion.

thebewilderness

When they announce the arrest we will expect you back here to mansplain how it was all a big misunderstanding and a joke. That is, as I understand it, the fallback position of people who commit this particular crime.

cloudiah

So, the SFPD confirming a police report was filed is BULLSHIT!!! because Anita didn’t post a report number.

That’s some fine-looking “logic” you’ve got there, Sean.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

She lied, and deep down you all know it.

Fuck off

Sean Hall
Reply to  cloudiah

Anywho girls, nice talking to you all. But its football sunday and my team lost so that means I have to go physically abuse a few women out there.

weirwoodtreehugger

This is also the reason why women vote for security over freedom.

Wut? In the US at least, the Republican party is the party of warmongering and tough on crime. Who are they most popular with? White males. I don’t know much about voting demographic patterns in other countries but if you’re an USian, I think you’re a bit confused here.

Sean doesn’t need any fancy book learning! He’s right because he knows in his heart what’s right and logical!

BTW, Sean. I know you probably think only men can understand any science but I’m going to surprise you with an anatomy lesson. You can’t know things in your heart. Your heart’s function is to pump blood. It doesn’t think or know. The brain does. Your heart pumps when you get excited. It’s true. But that only happens because of your nervous system. You’re welcome!

cloudiah

Flounce!

marinerachel

The SFPD suggests she didn’t lie. There’s no indication she did aside from brofeels. As a Scientist! I know feelings are not evidential support for the veracity or claims, not even the feelings of angry men on the internet.

Policy of Madness

Ahhh, you have argument so you are trying to twist the reasoning behind logic.

The reasoning behind logic is a really interesting field. I mean, why is logic a good thing to use? Why do we like it so much? Why should anyone use it? There are answers to these questions but you can’t use logic to reach them. If you did, you’d be begging the question, by using logic before having proven that logic is the right thing to use.

Somehow I doubt that you’re talking about this, though. I think that’s a few classes ahead of you.

marinerachel

And jokes about physically assaulting women – we have a winnah!

It's A Furret (@RicksWriting)

deep down you all know it.

Yes, without any evidence, and in fact copious evidence to the contrary, deep down, everyone believes that real life is not what constitutes reality.

cloudiah

Paging @katz! We need a score on this flounce!

Robert
Robert

“I’m using logic! And insulting you! Y U no crying?!”

We must have made our save vs Derp.

marinerachel

He’s like an existentialist vole.

contrapangloss

I’m disappointed that mathematician does not get the same special religion status as Scientist!

I almost got to claim disciple status in two STEM religions. But, alas, the M was demoted by Sean.

weirwoodtreehugger

That’s some fine-looking “logic” you’ve got there, Sean.

Now, now Cloudiah. You know that the more logicky position to take is that the SFPD are part of the feminist conspiracy to ruin video games. Obviously. And the threatening tweets she got were all her sock puppets. Every single one. If David is made of ferrets, what is Anita Sarkeesian made of? Cats? Hamsters? Sonic the hedgehogs?

Aww. Your team lost? No wonder you’re so cranky. I’m sure a nap and binky would help.

marinerachel

He’s kind of like the larval phase of John the Otter.

cloudiah

He’s kind of like the larval phase of John the Otter.

He’s probably run off somewhere to tell people a horde of feminazis threatened him with box cutters.

thebewilderness

Once someone posted the updated info I rather though the troll would attempt a dismount. Poorly done d00d, very poorly done. Insults right out of the big book of MRM trolling are very over done here.

Policy of Madness

I hope someday he grows up and publishes that thesis about his new logical order. “Simple logic” … sounds like something Captain Kirk might say.

1 6 7 8 9 10 12