#gamergate $MONEY$ antifeminism entitled babies evil SJWs expats false accusations harassment men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny no games for girls no girls allowed nonpology PUA reactionary bullshit red pill rhymes with roosh sarkeesian!

Did Professional Sarkeesian-hater Davis Aurini Commit Felony Wire Fraud? Hell if I know, but he’s definitely an unethical dick.

Davis Aurini, doing his best "Blue Steel" for the camera.
Davis Aurini, doing his best impersonation of a cartoon villain.

On Friday, expat woman-hating woman-chaser Roosh Valizadeh put up a post on his Return of Kings blog with the sensationalized headline Did Anita Sarkeesian Commit Felony Wire Fraud?”

Roosh breathlessly “reported” that

Two independent journalists have confirmed with the San Francisco Police Department that Anita Sarkeesian, a video game social justice warrior, may have used false pretenses to raise money for her non-profit entity. The police have said that she has not contacted them as she claimed after receiving a Twitter death threat in August. Under Federal law, this may put her on the hook for felony wire fraud.

The two “independent journalists” in question are tech journalist and self-described “fan of 4chan” Milo Yiannopoulos of Breitbart, and Davis Aurini, the cigarette-smoking, scotch-drinking, Anton LaVey-looking blogger who’s trying to raise money to make a “documentary” about the evils of Anita Sarkeesian and “social justice warriors.”

Both journalists – well, the one dude who writes for a sleazeball right-wing site and the other dude who’s not actually a journalist at all – did indeed contact the San Francisco Police Department and were told by a media spokesman that he couldn’t find a record of Sarkeesian contacting them about the threats she received in August.

This bit of “news” sent #GamerGaters and other Sarkeesian-haters around the internet into a bit of a frenzy.

But it turns out they got worked up over nothing. The police spokesman just hadn’t looked hard enough. A day after Tweeting a number of accusatory questions to Sarkeesian, Yiannopoulos had to backtrack, noting in a series of Tweets that he’d had another conversation with the SFPD, who told him that Sarkeesian had in fact reported the harassment to the FBI.

Another writer posted emails he’d gotten from the police spokesman that seemed to confirm Yiannopoulos’ updated information. In the emails, SFPD Public Information Officer Albie Esparza said that Sarkeesian had indeed contacted the SFPD in August but that the case had been handed off to the FBI. (I’ve confirmed this with Esparza .)

Given that the main “proof” that Sarkeesian was lying about the threats she said she received had just vanished into thin air, you might expect that Roosh and Aurini might, you know, correct their now-clearly incorrect posts on the subject and retract their accusations. Well, not so much.

Roosh’s post remains up, with only a brief “update” at the end, noting that “the police have changed their story and now state that they were contacted.” Aurini’s post remains unchanged, and as I write this he’s posted nothing more on the subject.

Even considering the people we’re dealing with here, the hypocrisy is breathtaking.

Roosh ends his post by declaring that

these new revelations concerning Sarkeesian show that no form of media is safe from the SJW and feminist agenda, and that we must do all the fact checking ourselves. The entire media establishment in the United States is potentially corrupt. Proceed accordingly.

Yet he refuses to frankly acknowledge that the “new revelations concerning Sarkeesian” were based on faulty information, offering instead a weasel-worded “update.”

Aurini, for his part, claims in his post to be “fight[ing] for openness and integrity within Tech and Video Game circles.” But he hasn’t bothered to update his post.

When ethical journalists discover that they were wrong about something, they acknowledge their errors and post straightforward corrections. When they get something spectacularly wrong, they apologize.

Somehow I don’t think we’ll be getting apologies from either of these guys.

And thus we get to the whole wire fraud thing. In his post, Roosh repeated a claim made by Mike Cernovich of the “game” blog Danger and Play, who tweeted:

As it turns out, there’s zero proof that Sarkeesian lied about anything here. And she made no direct connection between the threats and her Tweet asking for donations.

Indeed, by Cernovich’s logic it’s Davis Aurini, not Anita Sarkeesian, who’s guilty of felony wire fraud. Why?

Because in his post, he made a direct connection between his accusations against Sarkeesian and his own fundraising efforts. Here’s how he ended his piece:

Personally, I’d like to see a lot MORE documentation on Sarkeesian, because this isn’t the only claim she’s made which I suspect is fraudulent – and not just her, but all of the individuals hiding behind the shield of Social Justice, and the journalists who have been aiding and abetting them, culminating in outrage known as #GamerGate. That’s why Jordan Owen and myself have started a Patreon page, so that we can create a feature-length documentary about these people and their methods, and how they bully and victimize the very people they claim to support.

So please help us get this documentary made, so that we can fight for openness and integrity within Tech and Video Game circles, and expose the professional victims for the con artists that they are. Please support our documentary, The Sarkeesian Effect: Inside the World of Social Justice Warriors.

Given that Aurini now knows that his post was based on faulty information, and given that he hasn’t corrected his post or retracted his insinuations, could he now be guilty of felony wire fraud?

For what it’s worth, I don’t think so. While admittedly I’m no lawyer, Cernovich’s logic seems to me like a bit of a stretch.

I do feel safe in saying, however, that neither Roosh V. nor Davis Aurini should be lecturing anyone about ethics.

UPDATE: I confirmed with the SFPD that Sarkeesian had indeed called the SFPD and that the case was handed off to the FBI; the post has been updated to reflect that.

@ blahlistic

You must have taken many years of some very intense yoga classes in order to jam your head quite that firmly up your ass.

I think I love you!

Haven’t worked my way through the whole thread yet, but this was too precious

A commie trap that they have been using for centuries.

Didn’t Marx die in like 1890? That’s what, 125ish years, tops? Is that centuries, now? HELP ME!!!

GrumpyOldMan

I would like to take note of the convergence of various conspiracy theories in our latest troll. Anita S is conspiring to bilk us. Feminism is a conspiracy which is in turn part of the greater communist conspiracy. Probably the Trilateral Commission is behind it all. All of us are dupes, and only Conspiracy Sean knows the truth. Wake up, sheeple!
Seriously, there is a very strong resemblance in the logicantations of the MRAs, the right-wingnuts, and the anti-feminists.

marinerachel
marinerachel

The gubmint will support you, FILTHY PARASITIC WOMAN.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

@ grumpy,*bows appreciatively* and yeah…commie trap they used for centuries…
Again, what grade did he drop out at?

…If that dude were any denser, he’d have an event horizon around his head…

grumpyoldnurse

Don’t forget the racists, GrumpyOldMan. They often have the same kind of circle-jerk, victim blamey, grand conspiracy feel to their reasoning (at least, the ones around here sure do)

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

They talk about secret conspiracies…yet don’t seem to have that much of a problem with billionaires who conspire to control the government pretty-much openly…

grumpyoldnurse

The gubmint will support you, FILTHY PARASITIC WOMAN.

Actually, since I work in tbe Canadian health care system, the government does support me, sort of. I just wish it would support me in the manner to which I would like to become accustomed. You know, more bonbons and fewer bedpans.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

More bon bons and fewer bedpans is a worthy goal.

grumpyoldnurse

My union is actually in contract negotiations right now. Maybe I’ll mention this to my shop steward.

marinerachel
marinerachel

My whole family works in public healthcare in Canada. Whenever we moved my mom would bring home boxes from the hospital which would later become storage boxes in the new house. Friends would ask why there were boxes of adult diapers in my closet. Eugh. They actually contained Barbie clothes and accessories.

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

A group of spoiled wealthy communist women who were backed by big money

*Adds “communism” to the very long list of things Sean doesn’t understand*

Ohh, so when Ray Rice cracked his ole ladies jaw then thats ok? Right? Since, gender is a social construct and we can’t have those restrictive gender roles now right?

Or, alternatively, people shouldn’t beat up their partners no matter what their respective genders. Why is this so hard for people to grasp?

Bina
Bina

LMAO, oh dear where does one even begin. Is this all you have??? Name calling?? Are you serious? You ever sit there and say to yourselves, yeah, what I do is righteous because when someone presents facts (like some scamming huckster named Sarkeesian who obviously lied about threats) you say, hey, we can call these people names I feel justified in my beliefs now. Seriously, what goes on in the minds of people like you? Is there no separation of emotion and logic? The worst thing is, you know in your hearts she made it up.

You called a woman a “scamming huckster” for telling the truth. If that’s not name-calling, I don’t know what is.

BTW, you’re an idiot. That’s not “name-calling”, that’s a fact. Everything else you say here only bears that out.

Bina
Bina

Also, Sean, you’re clearly butthurt that the facts are bearing Anita Sarkeesian (and us) out. And you’re all bluster and 100% fact-free. Where is YOUR separation of emotion and logic…eh?

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

Oh crap, that was like 100 comments ago. Stupid WordPress, divides up the email notifications so I don’t see how many there actually are. Sorry folks. Carry on.

Honestly, I miss the days when trolls at least tried to appear sincere. Running around screaming “I’m a troll! Pay attention to me!” would actually be more subtle than what Sean’s doing.

Also, I suspect Creedence was an autocorrect fail, that Chewtoy did not catch. Whether because he doesn’t know how credence is spelled, or what Creedence refers to, we may never know. Or care about.

I think the real question is why autocorrect thought that the name of a band from the 60’s fit better in that sentence than “credence”.

Creedence Clearwater Revival. In infamous Commie gang.

Well, they did have opinions about who was and wasn’t getting drafted…

grumpyoldnurse

@ marinerachel – my poor children know your pain. But, you have forgotten to mention the other embarrassing types of boxes! Sterile gloves, and syringes and catheter bags!

Headless Unicorn Guy
Headless Unicorn Guy

“Davis Aurini, doing his best impersonation of a cartoon villain.”

Cartoon villain, Pulp Villain, or Anton LaVey Impersonator?

(Tip: If the last, grow a thicker beard.)

contrapangloss

My mother (RN extraordinaire) did the same thing! But, the plus side was the wonderfulness of having amazingly complete first aid kits.

We essentially had everything in an ambulance trauma kit but the airway adjuncts…

Those first aid kits were worth the embarrassment of “why do you have a ginormous box of bedpans in your living room?”

contrapangloss

Also, she’d buy a year’s worth of toilet paper in one fell swoop from the hospital’s materials management candy store…

Bina
Bina

Gender is a social construct until the first woman takes a right cross from a man. Then its all sugar and spice and poor little victim and whatever……its all nonsense. Leftist stupidity thats done nothing but cripple societies all thru the world.

Oh wow, a RIGHT WING idiot. Gosh, I’ve never seen any of THOSE before!

grumpyoldnurse

@ cotrapangloss – I’m afraid my first aid kit is somewhat lacking, but I attended the Red Green school of first aid improvisation, so it’s mostly OK. Oh, the things one can mend with duct tape!

Bina
Bina

She has a NAME, you moron. She’s not a possession. And she’s certainly not old.

Also, how his violence towards her (assault being illegal no matter who does it to whom) is supposed to be some sign that we have reached gender equality is a mystery to me. A large, professionally violent man knocks a much smaller woman unconscious and then drags her out like a caveman just to show what a macho he is, and that’s “equality”? Even as a right-wing idiot talking point, that doesn’t make any sense.

But I guess you’re gonna accuse me of thinking with my vagina next, eh?

grumpyoldnurse

@ Bina – why do racism, homophobia, and misogyny tend to cluster in people? Not saying Sean was a racist or homophobe (I have no direct proof or either) it’s just that so often, when people start spouting some of this drivel, the other kind of drivel often spews, too. (like this “leftist stupidity” crap).

weirwoodtreehugger

Grumpyoldnurse,

I got bored and looked at his facebook page. There was plenty of homophobia. That shouldn’t be surprised considering he said it was “debatable” that Cassie’s major domo is a man. People who try to gatekeep which men actually get to call themselves men are usually homophobes. He also used the “n” word in a joking way so, racism too.

grumpyoldnurse

Thanks, WWTH! You’re braver than I am for sure. It just makes me wonder where this scape-goating comes from, and why is it always feeeeemales, teh gayz, and whatever racial group is the popular target where said hateful jerk resides (though not always in that order) that are the target of the hatred?

kittehserf - MOD
kittehserf - MOD

Because those groups are the Other, the lesser, the inferior, and failing to acknowledge/provide money for/provide blowjobs for the Superior White Manly Men fills these losers with rage.

grumpyoldnurse

So, insecurity? And if the Other/Lesser fails to assuage the in group’s feefees, there’s gonbe Hell to pay?

Meh, a bit anticlimactic, but makes sense.

Thanks, kittehserf!

Cassie's Major Domo
Cassie's Major Domo

When he said it was “debateable” [sic] if I was a man, I took it to mean one of two things:

1) He thinks I am lying about my gender in order to make it appear that there are men on this website, when of course there aren’t because men don’t support feminism, like duh.

2) He thinks I am less than a man because real men don’t support feminism or think women are human beings, like duh.

If he met me in person he would probably think I was less than a man because I don’t like football, have a cat, and can dance.

Whatever the reason, he’s a racist homophobic right-wing idiot, four vile flavors that always seem to go together.

grumpyoldnurse

Yep. It’s a weird and unsavoury mix. Wouldn’t want to meet him in person.

But on line he is funny! It was like he was being more Steven Colbert than Steven Colbert, even if less urbanely.

kittehserf - MOD
kittehserf - MOD

High five for being a cat person AND not liking football! (I can’t dance for quids, but eh.)

Cassie's Major Domo
Cassie's Major Domo

Actually, the only place in my life where I feel prejudice directed against me as a man comes from other men when it regards football. MISANDRY!

booburry

Hah, Sean, what a character. Comes in to rile up all the mean girls only to be outsmarted by them immediately. I haven’t read the rest of the comments yet so I’m wondering how many more times this asshole can repeat “deep down you knowwwww!” like its a magic mantra that will just work if he says it enough times. Deep down, where? I know it is said that all men think with their dicks but I don’t think its true and besides its a pretty male-centric saying.

Cassie's Major Domo
Cassie's Major Domo

That “deep down you know!” is one of the most desperate arguing ploys. It means you have no evidence, so can only rely on claiming that your opponent is secretly in agreement with you. It also shows someone who has so sold themselves on their own BS that they cannot understand that anybody could disagree with them. Sean told himself so many times that “Anita Sarkeesian lied!” that even when it’s shown in broad daylight as untrue (cripes, even Jordan Owen gave in on that!) he still holds onto the falsehood and screams in spittle-flecked fury at his opponents: “No…. YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

booburry

Ugh what a golden troll. Truly something to behold.
I have to say as someone who didn’t finish high school for various reasons, it is no excuse to be a clueless asshole. Especially when you clearly have access to the internet and loads of free time! Even if he somehow quit school before he was legally allowed to he should have learned something about reality by now.

kittehserf - MOD
kittehserf - MOD

Deep down I knooowwwww

1. It’s time for a cup of tea.

2. The Furrinati rule, now and forever, amen.

3. Mr K.

4. Chocolate.

5. Does there need to be a five?

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I just had a weird thought. Imagine the UK and British-influenced countries like Australia, NZ, the Western part of Canada, etc. without tea. Like, imagine the Brits had never encountered tea in the first place. What would we do when we’re stressed/bored/just feel like doing something comforting and familiar? Like, completely remove that beverage and every ritual associated with it. Would you even recognize your own culture any more?

And yet, tea in those countries is a product of colonialism, not something homegrown at all.

gilshalos

5. is Hail Bootsy!

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Deep down I know that our trolls really are just as pathetic as they secretly fear that they might be. The thing is, so do they.

And now they know that we know too.

gilshalos

Also..no tea ? really ? How can you even imagine the lack of tea ?!
*hugs her tea, and carries it with her constantly so no-one steals is now*

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

And then I grew up and married a guy who’s Asian. Put us together with other couples and we’re all, there are people who don’t have any tea in the house? How would that even work?

gilshalos

The phrase in Scotland is Tea Jenny. Never heard anyone but my parents and my doctor use it, but yes, wonderful phrase.

gilshalos

Also, I just saw the latest Come Dancing preview. Greg Wallace and Tim Wannacot in the same show ?

kittehserf - MOD
kittehserf - MOD

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Also, what default line would all those TV police have for traumatised crime witnesses if they couldn’t say “Constable, go make a cup of tea.”?

gilshalos

Well, some people are coffee addicts. I shared a house with one, who knew I was as addicted to tea as he was to coffee. When he went to make a mug of coffee, he’d look at me and as ‘Rhetorical question?, and I’d hand him the empty mug I had saying Symbolic Answer. Of course them he’s stir my tea wth a coffee-tasting teaspoon, and we’d argue about whether he was doing me a favour or not.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

“Constable, go make a mug of Horlicks”? No, not the same at all.

Aitch
Aitch

Would be hard I reckon. Scandinavia is a coffee culture (and I’m a product of it, tea makes me queasy) and their crime shows usually solve this through awkward silence.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

What kind of coffee do people drink in Scandinavia? French style? Arab style? Italian style?

kittehserf - MOD
kittehserf - MOD

gilshalos, OT but did you see the pic I posted for you here?

Aitch, awkward silences seems about right. Granted I’ve only watched Unit One and the English remake of Wallander, but oy, grim, grim, grim*.

I like coffee too, and am more likely to drink it when I’m out. It’s easier to get right than tea, imo.

* the third brother that left before they got famous

Aitch
Aitch

Bit of everything these days, Italian-style drinks are common in cafes, and filter machines and espresso machines in offices. Quite a few people drink it without milk or sugar. I think Finland consumes the most coffee beans in the world, followed by Norway.

The traditional way is to boil ground coffee in a pot, but the grounds wouldn’t be as finely ground as Arab/Turkish coffee. No idea how that tastes tbh, and that’s dying out unless you’re in nature with no access to city equipment: at my parents’ house it was usually French-style press coffee, or just instant.

Fibinachi

Ah! That’s a question I’m qualified to answer.

“You there, I’m in a hurry, get me a cup of your stuff right quick because the train is leaving in three minutes and I need my coffee now? Do I want a what? A grande what-now? Just give me whatever has caffiene in it!”-style.

Less glib, it seems there’s a preponderance of filter coffee. Normal cup of coffee – black, through a basic filter, somewhat hot, no frills, no sugar, no cardamon, no bloody nothing. It’s a mite boring. Free refills at most places though (because it’s people’s homes, see)

I noticed a recent trend of Starbucks and Barresso – the local Danish equivalent – offering slightly more advanced combinations (actual bloody espresso, cafe au lait, someone once offered to actually add syrup to mine and I was in shock for days)

Despite the sheer variety of coffee styles, it seems most Danes I know graviate naturally towards just having a plain cup of boiled water filtered through ground coffee beans. Then sometimes if they want to get exciting they add milk. If you opt for sugar, you’re being risque and practically scandalous.

Denmark is a coffee culture in the same way that it’s a beer culture – it doesn’t matter so much what’s in it, just that you have at least four.

Fibinachi

Great, now I miss arabic style coffee.