a woman is always to blame antifeminism are these guys 12 years old? bullying drama kings grandiosity harassment lying liars men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny oppressed men

4Chan gamebros raise a sockpuppet army: "For extra class, present yourselves as normal people."

4Chan rallies the troops
4Chan rallies the troops

Over on 4chan, angry gamebros are organizing a vast wave of Twitter, er, ” activism” to SAVE VIDYA GAMES from the evil fake gamer girls and their Social Justice Warrior allies.

According to one anon, who’s been posting this message into numerous threads, the best way to fight “journalistic corruption” in the gaming world is to … set up fraudulent sockpuppet accounts on Twitter to make it look like there’s a groundswell of opposition to the evil game ladies.

We campaigned against journalistic corruption; we were told that gamers are dead. Both lawfag and marketingfag told you to flood the pax hashtags as it would get the attention of their advertisers. You now have the opportunity to save vidya and get the average person on your side.  Why are you not doing shit /v/? GET OUT THERE AND FLOOD THE HASHTAGS. Here is a quick guide: >1) Make a gmail throwaway if you don't want it linked to your main email. >2) Make a testing tweet and choose an appealing description of your account. >3) Make a few tweets proclaiming your newness. >4) Make a few tweets about #GamerGate. >5) Increase your visibility by following people -- search the #GamerGate tag and follow people you like. Remember, you're legit new, so at least some should follow you back. >6) FOLLOW THE PEOPLE WHO ARE FOLLOWING THESE PEOPLE. Chances are some of these are your fellow anons, so with luck we can increase our follow counts. >7) Continue tweeting about the cause with the pax hashtags (#PAX #PAXPrime) with the #GamerGate tag. >8) Seach the hashtag, favorite and retweet supporting tweets. That's the star icon. Get your anons to the top. >9) If you get stuck with zero followers. Reply to someone, chime in that you agree with them. But don't argue on this step. Let them do that if they want to do that. >If you are confronted, remain calm, don't lose your spaghetti, and be the better person. Explain that this is not about girls being victimized, it is about the vilification of gamers and jounalistic integrity in the media. >For extra class, present yourselves as normal people who sjws by their own standards should sympathize with, like an indian cab driver who can't read traffic signs. (this requires extensive shitposting experience.)

If that’s a bit hard to read, here’s the text, with some bolding for emphasis added by me. The bits at the end are my favorite.

>1) Make a gmail throwaway if you don’t want it linked to your main email.
>2) Make a testing tweet and choose an appealing description of your account.
>3) Make a few tweets proclaiming your newness.
>4) Make a few tweets about #GamerGate.
>5) Increase your visibility by following people — search the #GamerGate tag and follow people you like. Remember, you’re legit new, so at least some should follow you back.
>8) Seach the hashtag, favorite and retweet supporting tweets. That’s the star icon. Get your anons to the top.
>9) If you get stuck with zero followers. Reply to someone, chime in that you agree with them. But don’t argue on this step. Let them do that if they want to do that.
>If you are confronted, remain calm, don’t lose your spaghetti, and be the better person. Explain that this is not about girls being victimized, it is about the vilification of gamers and jounalistic integrity in the media.
>For extra class, present yourselves as normal people who sjws by their own standards should sympathize with, like an indian cab driver who can’t read traffic signs. (this requires extensive shitposting experience.)

So what’s got these dudes so enraged today? Aside from, you know, their normal misogynstic manbaby rage, there’s been a FLOOD of articles on gamer sites and mainstream media outlets alike arguing that “gamers” — as they’ve traditionally defined themselves — are about to take a plunge into the dustbin of history, and that if the game industry is to survive it needs to free itself from the clutches of the angry young dudes currently yelling at the top of their lungs against Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian.

Here are some of the articles that have really pissed them off:

‘Gamers’ don’t have to be your audience. ‘Gamers’ are over, by Leigh Alexander at Gamasutra

The End of Gamers, by Dan Golding, on his own blog

It’s Dangerous to Go Alone: Why Are Gamers So Angry? by Arthur Chu at The Daily Beast

The death of the “gamers” and the women who “killed” them by Casey Johnson at Ars Technica

A Guide to Ending “Gamers” by Devin Wilson at Gamasutra

This guy’s embarassing relationship drama is killing the ‘gamer’ identity by Mike Pearl at Vice

If you only read one of these, make it that first one by Leigh Alexander, which is awesomely blunt.

Lea
Lea

There was a Florida man who was killed because a swat team thought he was dealing drugs. They busted into his home in the middle of the night and he grabbed a gun to defend himself from the intruders. It was the last thing he ever did.

Not that it matters, but they only found a tiny baggy of weed in his house.

That’s the kind of thing that can happen when the cops don’t think you are a killer. Swatting could definitely end in a death.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

That’s….actually a relief. No one got shot or saw their parent shot and no one has to repay a debt to society for it. That’s better than it being real by a long shot.

Yeah, but the comments don’t seem to be faked, or satire. Can someone assure me that the comments are also spoofs?

J.J
J.J

Do they think people won’t figure this out? Then again, the average level of intelligence in this particular group doesn’t seem too high. I also join in the crowd wishing to take the name gamer from them. Games are supposed to be fun. Games are sitting with your friends battling, a Christmas morning spent beating monsters and exploring dungeons, victory and defeat, but fun the whole time. Their bigotry and fussing about not having every game cater to their ideals and threatening anyone who wants to change things isn’t fun. So ‘gamer’ shouldn’t be for them.

And WTF, a gay filter on games? I can’t even think of any games where prominent homosexual content isn’t optional. What do these guys want, exactly?

Lea
Lea

Belladonna,
You’re right that “asswit whiny gamebros” is a much better label for these haters. I think the point of the word “gamer” being over though is that when everyone is playing games, the label loses it’s meaning. That’s not a bad thing. Lots of folks here play games and have friends and family who play games. My husband is crushing our son in Halo right now. My daughter just showed me a music video made by a DJ she likes about Five nights at Freddy’s. I’m the weirdo because I don’t play. Even my very serious workaholic aunt plays Candy Crush. My little kids play educational games nearly everyday. My besties call and tell me all about the games they play and how much fun they have. They spend hours and hours in gameplay and love it. I just don’t, oddball that I am. Though, once upon a time I learned how to breastfeed using the football hold with one arm while I played on a text based multi user dungeon with the other. I played on the Commodore 64 and Atari as a kid and later switched to Nintendo. I do not identify as a gamer. It’s not a consistent hobby for me, even though I’ve played games for entertainment in the past. The last games I played were Hexic and dys4ia. I’m going to check out Depression Quest tonight. So, what qualifies a person as a “gamer”? I think as time goes on and games get better and more varied more and more people will play. They may play only a little or play games that asswit whiny gamebros don’t consider serious games, but they will play and as that happens the definition of who is and is not a gamer will be too nebulous to have much meaning. Instead of “Do you game?’ I think people will ask, “What do you play?”

That’s just my guess. I don’t see gaming going away.

tesformes

JJ, these people are upset because games like Mass Effect, which takes place in the far future, treat same sex relationships as normal and not worth commenting on. There were people who complained about the pilot character Cortez from Mass Effect 3, who mentions early on in the game that his husband was killed in the alien attack that sets up the events of the game. Nobody was shoving anything in anyone’s face, he just talks about how devastated he is that his husband is dead, and how he focuses on his work to cope. You could’ve substituted “husband” for “wife” and nobody would be able to tell. This is what they refer to as “shoving the gay agenda in my face.”

Lea
Lea

I just said, “No, honey it’s not a “snifer” rifle. Daddy is shooting your brother with a “sni-Per” rifle.
Priorities. I got ’em.

vaiyt

So, they say it’s not about victimizing girls but about gamers being vilified…

Which presumes that women cannot be gamers.

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

Welcome Belladonna993! 😀

Belladonna993

@Lea

I appreciate your response, Lea, and have seen many of your comments on this blog. I have a great amount of respect for you. However, I have seen a lot of commentary on blogs recently, such as http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/26/video-games-misogyny-and-terrorism-a-guide-to-assholes/ that lead me to believe that people aren’t disidentifying with the term “gamer” because everyone is playing games so it becomes meaningless, but rather that they are disidentifying with the term “gamer” because the gamebros are claiming it as their own.

Even if we disidentify with the word “gamer” because the practice of gaming has become so mainstream as to be meaningless, the point, to me, is not to let these assholes appropriate the term, even in a historical sense. Even if “gamer” is in its last dying gasp, I don’t want it to go down in history as a term that refers to these young, idiotic, mysogynistic, pathetic idiots. It predates them. And it isn’t about them. And they don’t deserve that kind of power.

Belladonna993

Thanks fruitloopsie!

Kim
Kim

You know what would be awesome? If these guys could be tracked via their IP or whatever, and banned from any online gaming network. Or even a virus that causes all their local games to stop working. I know it’s just a fantasy, but OMG it would be so satisfying. To take away the one thing that they are so adamant belongs only to them.

I’m wondering though, if there has been any response or statements from any professional gamers.

J.J
J.J

Hey, Lea, correct terminology is very important. *is still amused*

@tesformes

Oh, shit, a side character mentioned they were gay. Yes, this is promoting gay agenda. That is some ridiculous shit. Programming in a female character is too much work, but programming alternate dialogue/animation/etc. anytime homosexuality comes up isn’t a waste of effort/hugely bigoted. (Well, male homosexuality. Female homosexuality is fine as long as the male hero can watch/join in. *gags*)

And women/LGBT/POC are the ones asking to be catered to. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Done with laugh. Morons.

Lea
Lea

I hear that!

Lea
Lea

…and thank you.

Belladonna993

@J.J.

I started to say this earlier and got sidetracked, but I think it would be more appropriate to add “homophobic” or “sexist” or “racist” filters to videogames. That way, these terrifying creeps could buy the videogames that really appeal to them and the rest of us could avoid them. We’d then soon see where the true demand lies in the market. If the game devs were really all about economic efficiency, instead of hiding behind it, this would be a good experiment for them, too.

friday jones
friday jones

NationalReport Dot Net is a parody news site, like the Onion except so subtle that Poe’s Law often comes into effect.

Belladonna993

@Lea Thank you for hearing me!

weirwoodtreehugger

In case anyone has missed it, this isn’t the only terrible thing the misogynists of 4chan have done today. http://jezebel.com/did-someone-just-leak-nudes-of-jennifer-lawrence-1629098030

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I’m not sure quite how “btw my husband died” could be seen as promoting any agenda.

vaiyt

Gay agenda = WHY DO YOU REFUSE TO PRETEND YOU DON’T EXIST FOR MY SAKE??? WAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

Leela
Leela

I’m so sick to my stomach over just how fucking despicable the trash that posts on 4chan and reddit are. I hate this world. So much.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Criminy! I got suckered by a FB friend on a fake news site. My deepest apologies to you all and I thank you for the correction.

kittehserf - MOD
kittehserf - MOD

Belladonna993, hi, have a Welcome Package!

I love “asswit” and must steal it.

Michael McG
Michael McG

Do my comments go to moderation?

idledillettante

I dunno, should they go to moderation, MichaelMcG??

Michael McG
Michael McG

Guess they don’t, and WordPress at my last post.

I’m not sure quite how “btw my
husband died” could be seen as promoting any agenda.

By letting not forget that we do, in fact *exist* and that we *are*, by the very nature of our existence, human–and all that our humanity entails.

strivingally

It’s a funny code of ethics that thinks impersonation, mob harassment and using the traits of oppression to deflect criticism are all above board, but women breaking up with men in the same industry or raising money for popular projects discussing narrative themes in games are unforgivable ethical lapses.

Arithia
Arithia

The dudebros will not go quietly into the night on gaming. Speaking as someone who has played at a competitive world level for years, it’s their main source of ego gratification. Some feel powerless in their real lives, so they grief and abuse the less powerful. Others have no real self esteem without the feelings of instant gratification and accomplishment gaming can give you. The only thing they share in common is the fallacy that being a particular gender makes you better than someone else.

It’s why their jimmies get rustled when a woman shares their space. It’s why they lose their minds when that woman is GOOD.

I have known and raided with many dudebros. I have been harassed, threatened, lied about and even flat out denied raid spots based on my gender. I also ranked among the top 100 players for my class for over 5 years straight, so none can claim it was an issue of skill.

I was stalked for over 2 years by a sad little Canadian neckbeard that I rejected romantically. I’d get 30-40 messages a day telling me to kill myself, that I would die alone, that I was a whore, that no one would ever love me… you get the point. I was told by GMs that the stalking was MY fault because I “must have led him on, cause that’s what chicks do.”

I am eager to see these children grow up or leave the community. Women aren’t leaving gaming. If they don’t like what gaming becomes as cultures and markets evolve, they can take a fraking hike. I’ll gladly take their raid spot when they move on to another hobby.

I’ll probably do a better job of it, too- I’ve never met a dudebro who didn’t stand in fire.

redpoppy
redpoppy

Arithia- damn that’s infuriating. What games do you play? I keep getting sidetracked but I intend to message one of the Mammotheers here about starting a Mammoth themed WoW guild. If you play WoW, would you be interested? Because fuck dudebros.

Alex M
Alex M

As a side discussion, is anyone else massively disappointed with how TotalBiscuit has been handling this whole situation? He’s doing that shit where you advocate for apathy in the name of “finding a middle ground”, but has spent about 100 times more “ink” (for lack of a better term) whining about and people disrespecting gamers than he has saying these misogynistic assholes are a cancer making everybody look bad and telling them to fuck off. He doesn’t seem to (want to) understand that what he’s doing is turning a blind eye to horrific abuse and pretending there’s no problem with gaming culture. He has a massive platform and is using it to make assholes feed persecuted and justified in their actions.

I guess it’s not that big a surprise since his idea of “debating” feminists is to repeatedly call the word mansplaining “baby talk” instead of using Google for five fucking seconds.

Michael McG
Michael McG

Arithia

Your explanation is woefully ahistorical. Women have been present in the having country since its inception, and it is only recently that misogyny has started driving them out.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

@ strivingally:

So, to try and articulate the possible underlying ethos of their actions:

“It is the moral right of men to subordinate, silence, and possess women.”

Michael McG
Michael McG

I apologize if my response to Arithia was inappropriately strident.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

I would suggest, Michael, that you having become aware of a problem recently does not mean it is a new problem.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

Women have been present in the having country since its inception,

…huh?!?

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

If someone finds the decoder ring can I borrow it?

Lee
Lee

Typing on a phone, maybe? I know I end up looking like I’m drunk when I try to type anything longer than a few words on my phone…

Anyway, I think he’s trying to say “women have been present in the gaming community since its inception”, something I’ve heard several other sources say as well.

tesformes

Michael, who are you to tell Arithia that her own experience is ahistorical? How does that even make sense?

redpoppy
redpoppy

I would think women have always been there. Dudebros would probably hate to admit it but, women were also present when fire was discovered, clothing was invented, houses were built, weapons were made, etc. And they probably had a heavy hand in inventing them.

deniseeliza
deniseeliza

Women have always been in the gaming community, but the sexism has almost always been there. See classic arcade advertisements with pointless women in bikinis draped over the cabinet. Or the classic arcade games where you’re fighting to win a nameless woman. Or the “best” ending for Metroid where you win a look at Samus in a bikini.

The only reason you’re seeing more of it now is because women can actually report on their experiences and have millions of people actually read it. The internet has made everything more visible, the way the internet does.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

If that’s a correct take, I agree.
…I searched for atari 2600 images. saw some of the old cartridge art…and remembered that I played so much atari as a kid that my right thumb had a callus. on the side

That and I now drive my car like I used to play Enduro..video games give you GREAT reflexes.

deniseeliza
deniseeliza

@Arithia, during my brief career as a hard-core raider in WoW I was lucky to be in a top 100 guild that was also not-sexist. However, the raging douchebro culture of WoW in general has its effects on everyone, and I was literally the only woman in the guild (of 4 or 5 total women) who played a damage-dealing character. The rest were healers.

And of course, this is far from unusual. The two guilds I was in before that also had no women who were not healers. It was only when I was in the more “casual” guilds where there were women who did things other than heal. However, I don’t think I ever raided with a woman who played a tank.

(For those who don’t know, and who care to know, in WoW raiding your character is either a tank, a healer, or a damage dealer. The tank is responsible for taking the hits from the enemies, and positioning the enemy in the room. The other roles are more self-explanatory I think.)

The climate around playing a damage dealing character was so competitive and toxic that I am not surprised it drives women out. If your raid team was decent, defeating the enemies was a given, so then it became a game of doing better than your teammates, so the trash talking that gamers are famous for becomes focused on your allies. It’s delightful. It eventually drove me out, too. I now prefer playing healers because the environment is less competitive. Tanking is almost entirely out of the question for me, because the tank is considered a leadership role. God help you if your party thinks you are moving too slowly, fighting the wrong enemies, or doing anything else wrong.

Which is a real fucking shame, because if it wasn’t for the other players, tanking is fun as hell.

Anyway, you got me talking about WoW again, oh noes, I’ll stop now 🙂

Kim
Kim

@redpoppy
I thought you’d forgotten 🙂

@aritha
That’s awesome that you are/were able to raid at such a high level. Like redpoppy, I’m assuming you mean WoW too, but that’s just because I don’t know what other games call it raiding. Have you been to BlizzCon? Do you think Blizzard is making any real effort to change the way things are?

Kim
Kim

@deniseeliza

I was MT for my guild, and often raid leader. Though I had to co-found that one. I never tank in LFR, and not even in LFG unless my bf goes with me as backup. I do have some healer toons (I have 1 of everything) but my fave healing play style is disc priest where I just attack the boss anyway. 🙂 Not that there is anything wrong with healing, but I find myself staring at health bars and not paying attention to the raid mechanics enough, so I’m not very good at it.

redpoppy
redpoppy

Kim- Nope! I just get easily side-tracked. Sorry about that. I will be able to get to it tomorrow since it’s Labor Day in the US. 🙂

saintnick86
saintnick86

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about manufactured controversy from far-right figures like Andrew Breitbart, it’s that the best way to discredit and neutralize a target is to hide their attacks under the guise of supposedly outing corrupt individuals/groups. The reality – as per usual – is that the person or organization represents something they hate ideologically on some level. Even when they make fallacious claims, they always come back with an :amended statement”…y’know, as if they were making it up…

steampunked (@steampunked)

I left WoW because, as a PVPer, I couldn’t cope with the constant misogynistic slanging. Or, for that matter, the fact that dudebros on my own side would LET ME DIE AND LOSE THE MATCH rather than toss one goddamned heal at the warrior because I was a chick.

I now enjoy GW2 where main characters and sub characters are gay/bi/other and no one cares, and where I can run around zerg-busting to my heart’s content. While shitty stuff does happen, the community is in general not-accepting of it, so it’s just so much more peaceful.

Plus, Sylvari look so awesome.

deniseeliza
deniseeliza

@Kim yeah to be honest, one of the characters I had the MOST fun leveling was my warrior. I leveled her almost entirely in LFG dungeons during a time when few people knew the leveling dungeons very well (especially Sunken Temple and Blackrock Depths). Everyone was always so nice, and we would often do 3 or 4 dungeons together with a random group of people. And then I hit max level (70 at the time) and it immediately became a miserable experience of people bossing me around and criticizing everything I did.

I know a lot of people who love tanking but refuse to do it outside of their guild or friend group.

I do happen to think that healing is a lot of fun (for me), too. But I think that people who don’t want to be targets for abuse tend to gravitate to that role in WoW whether it is their favorite or not.

Cthulhu's Intern

You know, for people who complain that gamers are villified, they sure want gamers to be villified.

deniseeliza