a woman is always to blame antifeminism are these guys 12 years old? bullying drama kings grandiosity harassment lying liars men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny oppressed men

4Chan gamebros raise a sockpuppet army: "For extra class, present yourselves as normal people."

4Chan rallies the troops
4Chan rallies the troops

Over on 4chan, angry gamebros are organizing a vast wave of Twitter, er, ” activism” to SAVE VIDYA GAMES from the evil fake gamer girls and their Social Justice Warrior allies.

According to one anon, who’s been posting this message into numerous threads, the best way to fight “journalistic corruption” in the gaming world is to … set up fraudulent sockpuppet accounts on Twitter to make it look like there’s a groundswell of opposition to the evil game ladies.

We campaigned against journalistic corruption; we were told that gamers are dead. Both lawfag and marketingfag told you to flood the pax hashtags as it would get the attention of their advertisers. You now have the opportunity to save vidya and get the average person on your side.  Why are you not doing shit /v/? GET OUT THERE AND FLOOD THE HASHTAGS. Here is a quick guide: >1) Make a gmail throwaway if you don't want it linked to your main email. >2) Make a testing tweet and choose an appealing description of your account. >3) Make a few tweets proclaiming your newness. >4) Make a few tweets about #GamerGate. >5) Increase your visibility by following people -- search the #GamerGate tag and follow people you like. Remember, you're legit new, so at least some should follow you back. >6) FOLLOW THE PEOPLE WHO ARE FOLLOWING THESE PEOPLE. Chances are some of these are your fellow anons, so with luck we can increase our follow counts. >7) Continue tweeting about the cause with the pax hashtags (#PAX #PAXPrime) with the #GamerGate tag. >8) Seach the hashtag, favorite and retweet supporting tweets. That's the star icon. Get your anons to the top. >9) If you get stuck with zero followers. Reply to someone, chime in that you agree with them. But don't argue on this step. Let them do that if they want to do that. >If you are confronted, remain calm, don't lose your spaghetti, and be the better person. Explain that this is not about girls being victimized, it is about the vilification of gamers and jounalistic integrity in the media. >For extra class, present yourselves as normal people who sjws by their own standards should sympathize with, like an indian cab driver who can't read traffic signs. (this requires extensive shitposting experience.)

If that’s a bit hard to read, here’s the text, with some bolding for emphasis added by me. The bits at the end are my favorite.

>1) Make a gmail throwaway if you don’t want it linked to your main email.
>2) Make a testing tweet and choose an appealing description of your account.
>3) Make a few tweets proclaiming your newness.
>4) Make a few tweets about #GamerGate.
>5) Increase your visibility by following people — search the #GamerGate tag and follow people you like. Remember, you’re legit new, so at least some should follow you back.
>8) Seach the hashtag, favorite and retweet supporting tweets. That’s the star icon. Get your anons to the top.
>9) If you get stuck with zero followers. Reply to someone, chime in that you agree with them. But don’t argue on this step. Let them do that if they want to do that.
>If you are confronted, remain calm, don’t lose your spaghetti, and be the better person. Explain that this is not about girls being victimized, it is about the vilification of gamers and jounalistic integrity in the media.
>For extra class, present yourselves as normal people who sjws by their own standards should sympathize with, like an indian cab driver who can’t read traffic signs. (this requires extensive shitposting experience.)

So what’s got these dudes so enraged today? Aside from, you know, their normal misogynstic manbaby rage, there’s been a FLOOD of articles on gamer sites and mainstream media outlets alike arguing that “gamers” — as they’ve traditionally defined themselves — are about to take a plunge into the dustbin of history, and that if the game industry is to survive it needs to free itself from the clutches of the angry young dudes currently yelling at the top of their lungs against Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian.

Here are some of the articles that have really pissed them off:

‘Gamers’ don’t have to be your audience. ‘Gamers’ are over, by Leigh Alexander at Gamasutra

The End of Gamers, by Dan Golding, on his own blog

It’s Dangerous to Go Alone: Why Are Gamers So Angry? by Arthur Chu at The Daily Beast

The death of the “gamers” and the women who “killed” them by Casey Johnson at Ars Technica

A Guide to Ending “Gamers” by Devin Wilson at Gamasutra

This guy’s embarassing relationship drama is killing the ‘gamer’ identity by Mike Pearl at Vice

If you only read one of these, make it that first one by Leigh Alexander, which is awesomely blunt.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Please, give a try to the rest of the post, you might understand my point clearly.

If this was aimed at me, the answer is no. I have better things to do with my time than read a point-by-point essay by an apologist for trolling.

That’s the misleading part: there are real people behind each account,

I don’t think anyone advanced the argument that sockpuppet accounts are controlled by bots. I mean, they can be, but that’s not typically what is meant by the word “sockpuppet.”

they are not lying or inventing points, because the whole reason they are complaining in the first place is for corruption issues to be adressed.

If these people are totes on the up-and-up, why are they being told to create throwaway (not new, but throwaway) accounts for their twitters, and why are they being told to misrepresent themselves as racial stereotypes?

I will repeat that: why are they being advised to misrepresent themselves as racial stereotypes if they are not trolling trolls who troll? if you can come up with some kind of plausible explanation for why earnest people with earnest concerns about corruption, who aren’t in any way horrible people with rotten insides, should feel a need to pretend to be an Indian cab driver who can’t read road signs (but apparently can read the Internet), I will think about reading your essay. Otherwise, no.

chaltab
chaltab

@Belladonna993

What did you mean by the Shep/Traynor relationship being abusive? I went that way and I don’t recall anything like that happening. I was pretty wary about that because I felt the Shep/Jacob relationship in ME2 was uncomfortable.

Eetoo
Eetoo

@saintnick86

“It still doesn’t detract from the fact a significant amount of people from both 4chan and Reddit have been donating money to a women empowering project. But apparently we’re supposed to ignore all that ’cause a small percentage of them doxxed a particular person.

So, what, we can’t bring up good shit 4chan does for…reasons? Fuck off.”

Your post is entirely unreasonable and rude. I hope the above rewrite demonstrates that well. If it doesn’t I can write up something better, I guess.

A Wolverine
A Wolverine

Knowing how 4chan and similar sites are (TROLLS EVERYWHERE) it isn’t unreasonable to assume that it wasn’t actually Zoe making those wizardchan posts but some chucklefuck still angry about depression quest getting on steam. The sadsacks on 4chan/wizardchan have fucking weird ideas about depression and often believe that women can’t be depressed because cock carousel.

What better way to troll them than bring attention to a woman who suffers from depression and who made a game about it?

Bina
Bina

Liquid gold sperm! Best antidepressant ever. Except no.

Those guys need to put down the joystick, metaphorically and literally, if they want to see some real action. Of course, for that to work, they first have to learn that feeeemales…are HUMAN.

Personally, once someone starts talking about Indian cab drivers who can’t read road signs, I’m not inclined to give any weight to anything else they say. (If you couldn’t read road signs, how would you be able to read the internet, I wonder?)

@chaltab

Well, I’m not sure “abusive” is precisely the right word, but there was a weird power dynamic between them that ultimately triggered my “hey, Shepard is in her chain of command, this is kind of unethical” meter. And ultimately, it never felt like they were striving for any kind of depth in the relationship. I’ll admit that I didn’t finish that playthrough, so I didn’t see their final scene. Not that it’s not okay for a Lesbian relationship to be only sexual and playful in nature, but again, the power structure just triggered me, I think. Sorry, I’d have to go back and try to find some of the specific quotes that bugged me to give a better answer. Then there’s the infamous hot tub scene that so many people found titillating, and I couldn’t figure out how it was even interesting.

I never tried romancing Jacob, because I just always kind of hated him. 🙂

Nunyo Biznass
Nunyo Biznass

Good lord, looks like 4chan is still indescribably awful. My one 10-second visit (to what was supposedly one of the “less bad” boards, even!) many years ago was enough for me to know that, but if anything this is even worse than I what I saw floating around in the sewage there back then. Wow…

Shaenon

Uh-huh.

Look, I’m sure this stuff sounds like an argument when it’s a bunch of gamebros swapping evil-bitch conspiracy theories and convincing each other they’re playing some kind of real-life FPS. But it falls apart when you go out in the wider world and actually say, “Look at me, I’m a hero for joining a massive online campaign to make a video-game designer fear for her life because her bitter ex-boyfriend told us she’s a ho, and why would a bitter ex lie? Obviously for the sake of journalistic integrity this woman who made a video game needs to be raped and murdered.”

That’s when people start shaking their heads, and maybe quietly weeping.

Video-game fandom is the worst collection of misogynistic creeps I’ve ever seen, and I work in the comic-book industry.

vaiyt

Their feelings are genuine, but they’re not based in reality. They’re worked out about fantasy problems and directing their efforts towards the wrong source.

If somehow these bozos convinced themselves that this is an issue of corruption, then why attack Zoe Quinn and not the supposedly corrupt journalist or the venue that allowed the corrupt story to be published? Why haven’t they dropped the attacks on Zoe Quinn once the accusations were shown to be false? Since when are rape and death threats an appropriate response to, well, anything?

LabRat

Slightly belatedly joining the WoW discussion…

I’m mostly a lurker here, but been lurking from the inception of the blog. And an avid WoW player.

My guild doesn’t really count as hardcore since we’re ranked exactly nowhere, but we have become a sort of retirement home for hardcore players who’ve had enough of the hardcore scene, so we tend to do pretty well when we have the numbers- 4 hours a week of raiding, but we usually finish content in normals before the next tier and dabble in heroics for a bit. (And when we don’t, it’s usually strictly because of roster issues.) I’m the guild’s main tank and raid leader, and unofficial co-GM. (My husband being the GM.) Rules for raiding include no snapping over Mumble or public displays of temper, no finger-pointing or other blame-shifting (actually the RLs’ rule is praise is public, criticism is private), and take conflicts or complaints about other players privately to officers. We range about 50-30% women on the raid team depending on who’s currently active in the game, and have a pretty damn good retention rate.

I’ve got all five tanking classes at ninety, and LFR with all of them- I usually step up and become the slightly benevolent, really not when dudebro’d at, default raid leader. (Thank God they gave tanks an automatic ability to use raid warnings.) My paladin is my main, but my warrior is geared enough for flex as well and I either roflcowpter or tank on alt raid nights. When I’m not tanking I play melee DPS.

One interesting thing I’ve discovered in the badger pit that is randoms is that it doesn’t matter a single bit what my toon looks like, my name is, or even if guildies in the group are referring to me as “she”- randoms always always ALWAYS assume I’m a man, and the assumption seems to be damn near impossible to shake. I’ve even had people who’ve raided with us from other guilds continue referring to me as “he” for a bit even after they’ve heard me over Mumble. (Granted, I’m a contralto with a deeper voice than some men, but still.) It essentially just plain lets me skate on the misogyny among the dudebros 95% of the time, and the guild is dudebro-free, so my experience is almost always pretty pleasant. Not to mention it was an extensive lesson on the gamer “ALL GAMERS GIVE EACH OTHER SHIT YOU’RE JUST BEING TREATED LIKE THE MEN” bullshit- it is, indeed, total and utter bullshit.

Also I would like to point out that these days several prominent non-healer, hardcore players are women- Sunny is generally acknowledged as The brewmaster source, Arielle is The bear tank source, and Anafielle is a big voice in theorycrafting for retribution paladins and raids with Something Wicked This Way Comes, with Theck, The protection paladin theorycrafter. Anafielle and Arielle both have loot named after them in-game.

Anyway. I’m LabRat#1355 if anyone wants to add me in B-net (WOULD YOU LIKE A TANK QUEUE?), I am totally up for a WHM guild to spend my alt time in if we get that going, and you can look me up in Reprisal on Steamwheedle Cartel. This is us: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5oA0-VkcBA

LabRat

Oh, and while I’m musing, I have dabbled in healing from time to time, and a really interesting thing I’ve noticed is that the personality I present to the randoms changes some- I’m always very hard-nosed as a tank, but I’m somewhat softer and more “feminine” for lack of a better word, as a healer. Though still not exactly a cupcake- do stupid shit and I’ll let you die and ask “What did you learn?”

titianblue
titianblue

@Eetoo

Your post is entirely unreasonable and rude.

Bullshit. This is a blog that mocks misogyny. We’re mocking misogyny. You’re trying to deflect our mocking of the rampant misogyny on 4chan by raising one good thing done on that site.

@Kakanian, I misunderstood your satire. You are just too good at it. Apologies.

saintnick86
saintnick86

Your post is entirely unreasonable and rude.

Because it totally isn’t unreasonable and rude to deflect the issue of someone being doxxed and harassed, being an apologist for those who are doing so.

Maybe I wrote it that way because I’ve heard those excuses a billion times and am tired of individuals like yourself trotting them out, as if you came to that conclusion yourself and not reading from the same notes as others. It doesn’t help this blog has individuals like yourself who come around under the false pretense of being level-headed and objective, if only to espouse apologia.

“I hope the above rewrite demonstrates that well. If it doesn’t I can write up something better, I guess.”

It doesn’t because you are missing my point and being dishonest. I didn’t say there was anything wrong with the project itself – you’re insinuating that erroneously based on my sarcasm towards your “argument” – as much as the fact your excuse doesn’t somehow “make up” for the fact that, even if a small portion of 4channers contributed to it, doesn’t leave out all the ones who are quite clearly misogynistic, couldn’t give less of a shit about such projects, and tormenting someone based on allegations – some of which were pure obfuscation.

That’s why I brought up “No True Scotsman”: you’re claiming that people from 4chan couldn’t possibly be doxxing and harassing a female game developer…because some of them contributed money to a project that is crowd-funded. Except those people are simply part of the group, not an overall representation. The fact you ignore that point I made is telling.

Yeah, I saw Wizardchan “counter-claims” and it’s amusing (read: annoying) just how much they discount any online harassment – saying that it can’t be harassment if not done in person – only to then have this self-pity party about how people make fun of them for being virgins. Weird, so it seems online harassment does exist…when only they get mocked for their particularly misogynistic view towards women and depression. Along with that: they weren’t mocked for specifically being virgins as much as the fact they were being assholes. I mean, hey, they’re hypocritical enough to dismiss online harassment one moment and then accuse others of doing so to them the next.

The fact they think women are incapable of depression (though every professional psychologist and psychiatrist will tell you they are actually more prone to suffering from it) isn’t a misogynistic notion is pretty goddamn absurd. That and the fact they really believe certain gaming sites are ran by “radfems.” Jesus fucking Christ…

TownFromSpain
TownFromSpain

Well I fucked up my last post quite a bit. Mods feel free to remove it.

Michelle C Young

I like Monopoly. In fact, I’m going to boot up my computer Monopoly game, and play Monopoly

So, am I a “gamer”? Oh, NO! I can’t be a GAMER! I’m a GIRL!

It’s the end of times, isn’t it?

Belladonna993

The blockquote monster strikes again. Most of this was unreadable, of course. As for the parts I could read, you are either as naive as you present yourself to be or you think I am. I tend to think it’s the latter since your tone is unrelentingly patronizing.

I happen to be a native English speaker who interprets and edits English text for a living. Why is it again that you think you have so much to teach me about how to read English? Am I the poor little girl with nothing but fluff in her head who needs heroic you to mansplain it all to me?

I will respond to this:

About the throwaway, see above, it’s implied that some people might use their personal email, which would be stupid for a sockpuppet, specially on a big website like twitter.

So, you’re admitting now that they are being instructed to create sock puppets? What was your argument again? Something about the title misrepresenting the intent? Really, you’re getting too boring. Fuck off.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

This was the only part I could read:

About the throwaway accounts, the important part of the sentence is the “if”. 4chan attracts by design a lot of people who wouldn’t like to be easily linked around the Internet or post something personal ever, that’s the kind of guys the “if” is written for and who would use throwaway accounts for anything. As long as the 4chan posters don’t multiaccount (which that poster doesn’t encourage) I don’t see how it’s a problem.

I’d say that you don’t get it, but it’s clear that you don’t want to get it. You’re not interested in getting it, you’re not interested in a dialogue, you just want to push a point without having to receive or think about anyone else’s points.

Which is actually an example of the problem, the one you’re not interested in understanding. You make a good example for why this is a problem, for those who aren’t like you and want to understand.

About the racial stereotype, you are right, that’s misrepresentation. But again, 4chan people don’t care much about the concept of an online persona as they care about the message itself, so the “plausible explanation” is that they want their opinions to be spread without being dismissed by external reasons. Keep in mind I’m explaining what that poster might be thinking, I personally think it’s dishonest to lie about yourself to get a point across, but I can see where they are coming from so I can excuse them as long as they don’t directly use that fake info in their arguments. I understand and sympathize with the #GamerGate people, which I feel have been heavily misrepresented in the gaming media, and I haven’t seen a misogynistic act perpetrated by 4chan during this whole issue.

More troll apologia. It’s a pity you’re not using all this creativity for something useful, like writing a novel. You could make it about how doublethink destroyed a cosmic empire. That would be straight up your alley.

childrenofthebroccoli
childrenofthebroccoli

Devin Faraci has a really interesting piece up on Badass Digest, and I’m kind of conflicted about it. On the one hand, it’s basically “what about the menz?”, but on the other he has some really interesting insights into why the angry gamebros are so angry, and I agree with his point that we’re never going to get through to them without understanding where they’re coming from. What do you guys think?

Matthew Cline
Matthew Cline

Not that I agree with him, but he did address that: he said that the 4chaners want to avoid receiving ad hom arguments, and that they think the best way to avoid get ad homs from liberals is to pretend to a member of multiple oppressed groups.

Hyatt
Hyatt

Whenever someone says “but you should feel sorry for the gamers, they’re at the bottom of the social ladder, always put down for their hobby”, I think, “at least they exist on the social ladder”. Which is still a step up from how I feel. And those poor trod-upon male gamers are helping to make me feel non-existent, by labelling the games I play as “not real vidya games” and thus I’m just a casual and therefore trash.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

What do you guys think?

I think it’s well-meaning but problematic. There’s the same “geeks are guys and only guys” rhetoric, which I think the author probably doesn’t believe but it’s just laid out there unexamined. There are a couple of other damaging stereotypes.

But mostly I am overwhelmed by not caring where these “kids” are coming from (they are not all kids, regardless of what this author thinks). Every generation of adults has thought that the current crop of kids is somehow lost, and needs to be guided, and is going astray or being led astray by bad influences. This goes back to fucking Socrates and probably even earlier. The kids (the actual kids) will eventually grow up and grow out of it, and they don’t need soft condescension from adults to do it.

They also don’t need to be coddled in the process. If a 15-year-old is doing something hateful and hurtful, and harming people, that 15-year-old needs to be shut down, not swaddled in empathy. How is that kid going to learn that society does not actually tolerate death threats if we just coo, “I know where you’re coming from, it’s so hard being you, I know, I was there once myself!” How is that helpful in teaching children that society does not tolerate death threats?

The ones who aren’t kids … what does empathy get us there? For real, what do I get by empathizing with hateful horrible people?

@childrenofthebroccoli

I wasn’t quite sure what the point was, really. I think I already have a great deal of empathy and understanding for the type of boys who might be drawn into this movement (and fear for them, too). But what the article doesn’t say is what to do about it. If I discovered my nerdy, gamer, 15-year-old son (and I really have one of these) was hanging out on Reddit or 4chan, we’d be having a few long sit-down conversations about whether or not women are people, too, over the course of a couple of weeks where his Internet privileges were suspended. And then I’d be monitoring his Internet usage for a long time to come.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Yeah, that’s indistinguishable from trolling. If someone is doing a thing that is indistinguishable from trolling, I’m going to call troll.

titianblue
titianblue

Yep, according to TownofSpain, if we stand far enough back, squint desperately whilst also twisting our necks as far as they’ll go and straining our credulity to the limit, we must admit that this could almost be someone explaining to newbies how to use Twitter.

Except that it plainly isn’t. It is plainly someone proposing to 4chaners that they create multiple sock accounts on Twitter, preferably whilst pretending to be pressed minorities, in order to deceive.

Go pull the other one, TownofSpain, it hath bells on it.

weirwoodtreehugger

My main point is that the issues trying to be discussed are real (in short, journalists being way too close to the devs they are reporting on and reviewing) and people from different websites like 4chan are trying to discuss it outside their confort area. The “misogyny” label is completely dishonest, and tries to apply the actions of few, very few harassers (who have no kind of support anywhere) to a whole different movement.

Again, why is the harassment targeting Zoe Quinn and not the journalist. Not a single apologist for this shit has been able to answer it and you’re not even addressing it.

So, what, we can’t bring up good shit 4chan does for…reasons? Fuck off.”

As Stannis Baratheon says “the good doesn’t wash out the bad.” Also, it’s pretty ironic that you’re engaged in apologia for the harassment of a woman and yet when you come to troll in a feminist space and get some strident responses you take umbrage. You can dish it out but can’t take it huh?

Not only is this dishonest, but it doesn’t even work. Amongst most feminists, men of color do not get a free pass to be misogynistic because they are also in a marginalized group. That’s not how intersectionality works. For all the obsessive hatred you people seem to have for “social justice warriors” you certainly haven’t made the slightest effort to find out what we’re about and how we think.

Bina
Bina

It seems like there is a huge amount of misunderstandings in this article and the comments sections.

Oh there is, is there? Please, mansplain to my poor little uncomprehending ladybrain…

First, 4chan is by definition chaotic, there’s not a general consensus on anything so individual posts are irrelevant, specially one that got only 4 responses. Trying to explain a movement based on a single opinion of a single person is unfair.

You seem to have forgotten something: 4chan is notorious for its trolling raids, and has been for years. They’ve even pretended to be feminists in an ongoing effort to discredit them. That requires more than a little consensus if people embark upon them en masse. 4chan has the deserved reputation for being the trailer-park toilet dump of the Internet, which I guess is indeed “by definition chaotic”.

I don’t, however, see what’s “unfair” about criticizing a post telling other 4channers to masquerade with multiple socks as clueless Twitter newbies and start “shit-posting” (complete with racist allusions to Indian cabbies who don’t know how to drive — hurr hurr hurr oh look at us clever white men, we’re so superior!). That sort of behavior isn’t legitimate. It’s done only to confound and annoy and derail and generally waste other people’s valuable time. Why the hell are you defending even ONE call to do such a thing? Do you realize what that makes you? I’ll give you a hint: Neither fair nor balanced.

If I see a person defending trolls, I think I’m within my rights to assume that said person is a troll, too. As is the one calling for others to troll. It may be business as usual for 4chan, but elsewhere on the Internets, that’s not kosher. I’m amazed that you need this pointed out to you.

That’s funny, because Twitter itself has a FAQ (several, actually) and a TOS, and doesn’t need 4chan to tell others how to communicate using it.

Third, I’ve seen the word “manufactured” thrown around the comments sections. How is it artificial if there are real people with genuine concerns and opinions behind each of those accounts? They aren’t “fake”, it’s just people who never used twitter getting iniciated to counter-argue, what they feel, is a torrent of misinformation. A single account for a single person expressing their opinions, what’s exactly wrong with that?

Plenty. For one thing, their “genuine concerns and opinions” are based on bullshit. There is exactly ZERO evidence that Zoe Quinn engaged in “bribery” to get a mention of her game. There is also no rave review from anyone she’s alleged to have slept with to get one. And as far as “she had sex with X and Y and maybe even Z”, that’s hearsay and defamation of character. Not admissible in a court of law, and worth zero here, too. For all we know, her bitter little ex could have made the whole thing up…and by the general odor of things, it is highly probable that he did.

THAT is how it’s “artificial”. And that is “what’s exactly wrong with that”.

Fourth, the author outlined the parts about getting followers on twitter. The main reason is because fair arguments are usually dismissed because of the amount of followers/tweets on that account. Coming from an anonymous website where the only way to judge someone is because of their words, some are surprised of the amount of ad hominems that fly around places with fixed accounts like twitter. Having followers helps diminish unfair criticisms and derailments of discussion.

And 4channers trolling with multiple FAKE accounts per individual (that’s what sockpuppetry is) is supposed to help all this HOW? If anything, it amplifies unfair criticisms and is precisely intended to derail discussion, just as you’re doing here.

Fifth, this was never about women. The “misogyny” word gets also thrown around a lot, but since the start it was about bringing to light corruption and nepotism issues in gaming journalism, specifically in this case in the indie scene. You can see for yourselves the amount of women in the #GamerGate twitter hashtag. Another good evidence against this claim is how 4chan is the major supporter of a campaign in favour of women developers called The Fine Young Capitalists, which has been outlined some posts above.

Well, ain’t that some shit. “Fine Young Capitalists” is kind of an oxymoron, considering that capitalism is neither young nor fine. It’s old and decrepit and should be tossed out. I’m sure they were only being ironic when they picked that monicker, though. Cute of them…and likewise, the development of that “feminist” mascot who conveniently spouts sexist shit at the behest of…drumroll please…4chan! Very Robert Heinlein, that. Guess they couldn’t cough up a real woman to save their lives?

And I really don’t give a damn how many women are spamming #GamerGate with carbon copies of the same old sexist same old. For all I know, they’re actually men too, socking it up with abandon, just as the asshole who posted the piece mentioned above said to do.

Even if they ARE real women, as you seem to think they are, the fact that they’ve internalized so much bullshit misogyny is not commendable, it’s fucking pathetic. It shows that they’ve abandoned critical thinking in favor of getting contrarian cookies from the boys. The same boys who would happily throw them under the bus the minute they put even one toe out of line.

And finally: What’s truly disingenuous is that you’re pretending that stinky game journalism is only a real problem now, when there’s a woman developer with a shitty ex-boyfriend in the mix. Exactly where were all you big, brave 101st Flying Keyboarders when big-name game developers have been relying on an all too compliant media empire to promote their shit for YEARS?

In conclusion, this article is spinning the issue into some kind of malicious raiding, when it couldn’t be further from the truth. Using adjectives like “misogynistic manbabies” to refer to people (men and women) that are just trying to point out what they feel are problems in the gaming industry only helps make the problem bigger and cause divisiveness within the community, as well as making discussion more heated and aggressive. Please try to understand that there are other sides which also deserve being heard out, that are right now and due to articles like this being misrepresented and unfairly dismissed (what is also known as the strawman fallacy).

“In conclusion”? Oy, how pompous and pedantic. I feel like I’m listening to a bad lecture here.

Dude, the “strawman fallacy” you’re babbling about consists of quoting the offending idiot verbatim. Screencapping him, even. It’s kind of hard to “misrepresent” someone who is clearly presenting himself in the worst possible light already. (But kudos to you for trying, I guess.)

And all of us here have already heard the “other side” ad nauseam, too. It’s the one that keeps calling us bitches, cunts, sluts and whores, and keeps telling us to get out of the boys’ club that is gaming. Or anything else outside the kitchen and nursery, for that matter. You’ll have to pardon us all if we get sick of listening to the poor, misunderstood Other Side telling us to fetch them a sandwich, and start plugging our collective ears and going la-la-la-la-la.

Especially since it’s all coming out of some rancid Cheeto-dust-farter’s ass, anyway.

I’m not a native english speaker so sorry for any mistakes or weird wording.

And yet, you managed to ramble on and on just fine, and as you can see, all the things I’ve criticized above are errors in your reading comprehension, not your orthography.

You’re welcome.

Belladonna993

On reflection, I’m thinking that TownFromSpain’s disclaimer about not being a native English speaker was probably not true. He’s probably some white American dude trying to follow the “pretend to be a normal person” instructions in the OP.

Bina
Bina

That’s funny, I smell artificial curry, too! You don’t suppose he’s really an Indian cabbie, do you?

Bina
Bina

No, wait, that’s not even artificial curry…that’s…ew…DIRTY SOCKS.

@Bina

Well, judging from his ‘nym, I’m thinking maybe dirty socks and rotten paella. 🙂

Bina
Bina

LOL, And a side order of fermented green olives, no doubt.

Belladonna993

We’ll have to give him a pass, now, though, ’cause, you know, downtrodden first-generation Spanish immigrants. Wait, what? I think possibly he missed the point of creating a “normal” person.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Thank you for saying that, titanblue. That was the first thing I thought of when I read the TowninSpain’s mansplaination. Pull the other one…

Michael McG
Michael McG

Am I correct in surmising that cis-male-cis-male romance is not an option in the Mass Effect series?

Shiraz
Shiraz

Whoever posted this complete bullshit:

“Second, the title and article is extremely misleading. The reason that this post exists is because a lot of people on that website aren’t too social and don’t have a twitter account. It’s just a guide for twitter newcomers to get used to it.”

You’re lying.We know you’re lying, and I guess you’re going to have to get through the rest of the day knowing that.

And the whole, “No seriously, we have a really good excuse for posing as minorities online!” Eeesh. Good god, man. You have such a really really good excuse for misrepresenting yourself?
You’re a bunch of cowards who don’t want to face the reality that gamer culture is being called on its misogyny. And yes, this is all about sexism not journalism. With some exceptions, most gamer reviews are barely disguised ads. You guys just want to burn a witch, I’m thinking because I don’t see anyone going after the reporter Zoe allegedly had a fling with with pitchforks and torches.

Looks like you’re going to have to deal with people outside of your demo in a civilized manner. **Sniff** Want a tissue?

Ken L.

@Michael McG
actually it is and it an interracial one too.

Ken L.

ignoring some issues with the two Gamasutra articles. There all a very interesting read.

Belladonna993

@Michael McG Unfortunately, no cis-male, cis-male in Mass Effect 1 or 2, but in 3, maleshep can romance Steve or Kaidan.

kobun37
kobun37

You know what really kills the “It’s all about journalistic integrity!” fig leaf?

The fact that if Quinn had bought some ad space on Kotaku and asked them to write about her game like the commercial publishers do, not one fuck would have been given. But because she’s been accused of trading sex for publicity instead of money it’s some kind of humongous scandal worthy of public shaming, death/rape threats and dudebro rage.

I’ve played video games since the late 70s, owned every major console since the early 90s and self-identified as a gamer since the term came into use. But now I just tell people I like video games, because it’s gotten to the point where I’m embarrassed to be associated with these feces flinging assholes. I’m willing to bet I’ve been playing video games longer than most of them have been alive, yet they’d probably write me off as a “fake gamer” because most of my gaming is done on my smartphone these days.

Merus
Merus

My favourite part is that the 4channers seem to think that if they pretend to be minorities and then bring up “corruption” that’s just thinly-veiled gatekeeping, that anyone will be fooled. The problem is not identity politics, it’s that they’re talking crap. Like the allegation that a high review score for a game called Gone Home was the reviewer doing the game developer a favour because of one tweet a year before the game came out – and not because the game connected with her in a way that games about straight cis-male white protagonists with half a shirt tucked in never could.

Actually, no, my favourite part is that they’re calling it GamerGate, which implies that the scandal is about gamers. Which is absolutely true and totally not what they want to present.

No, wait, my favourite part is that this feels like the beginning of the end for this particular kind of bullshit. There was a visibility to this that’s unprecedented, and a viciousness to this that goes totally against the kind of narratives journalists and developers like to think about their medium.

sparky
sparky

I find it hilarious that some troll is actually trying to sell the bullshit line that this is about teaching naive 4channers how to use Twitter and not an obvious trolling campaign.

Hyatt
Hyatt

(One of) My favorite things is how they bash Anita Sarkeesian for being an outsider and not a real gamer, but flock to Christina Hoff Sommers who is a proud outsider to be their voice. It’s not about what you play, it’s about what you say, I guess.

BreakfastMan
BreakfastMan

So, apparently the Quinnspiracy theorists are now sort of endorsing the Honeybadgers. They have pretty much given up all pretense of not being MRAs at this point, I think.

Jono
Jono

I don’t understand. A gamer is just someone who plays and enjoys video games and it’s only really a minority who misogynists and harassers like the ones who attack Anita Sarkeesian. The majority of Anita Sarkeesian’s backers of her Kickstarter were gamers.

Matthew Cline
Matthew Cline

#GamerGate news: Lawyers against gaming corruption fundraising. They claim that they want to raise money to research if there’s any legal options.

Matthew Cline
Matthew Cline

Turns out that the lawyer being retained by “Lawyers against gaming corruption” is the wife of the the person who started the fundraiser, a little conflict-of-interest fact that the fundraising page doesn’t list.

Belladonna993

@Jono I defended the term gamer up-thread, too. I don’t entirely agree with your definition, though. I know people I think of as gamers who only do tabletop RPG, CCG, or board games.

Anyway, if we want the term not to go down in history as referring to those guys, though, a whole bunch of gamers (preferably lots of male ones) who aren’t those guys probably are going to need to find a really loud way to say, “Hey, you douchebags don’t speak for us!” Probably a few hundred times.

BreakfastMan
BreakfastMan

@Belladonna993: Yeah, the gaming community has a lot to learn from how hardcore punk and black metal ejected neo-nazis to the absolute fringes. The community as a whole (including major leaders) need to speak up and say that these shit-stains don’t speak for use or represent us, and that they are antithetical to everything we believe in. We need an equivalent to the Dead Kennedy’s “Nazi Punks, Fuck Off”.