a woman is always to blame alpha males antifeminism are these guys 12 years old? attention seeking creepy dark enlightenment evil women irony alert men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny no games for girls no girls allowed oppressed white men playing the victim post contains sarcasm reactionary bullshit red pill women in tech YouTube

A proposed new anti-Anita Sarkeesian "documentary" promises to give voice to the loudest "silent majority" the world has ever known

I don’t usually post raw videos from the insufferable assholes I write about on this site because, well, they’re insufferable assholes, and listening to them smugly opine about shit they’re completely ignorant about is generally about as entertaining as, you know, GirlWritesWhat videos. (I know, that’s a bit circular, but I really couldn’t come up with anything more insufferable than that.)

Anyhoo, I’ve broken my rule and posted this video because the two guys who made this video — the would-be filmmaking duo of jordanowen42 and Davis Aurini — are so over-the-top in their insufferable assholism that it’s actually kind of perversely charming.

You see, these two woman-hating YouTube blabbers — the first a belligerent doofus whose apartment is nearly as unkempt as mine, the other a sort of PUA version of Anton LaVey — are pitching what they claim will be an important new documentary exposing the evil “Social Justice Warrior” agenda of evil women and traitor men like Anita Sarkeesian, Zoe Quinn, and, well, I can’t remember the names of any of the men. It’s called The Sarkeesian Effect. And they want your money to fund it.

Their promised “feature-length documentary” will be a powerful work of investigative journalism that will give a voice to the voiceless — to the “silent majority” of, well, angry white dudes who spend whatever time they don’t spend playing video games posting obnoxious and abusive comments about Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn to YouTube and Reddit and eleven zillion other websites that cater to them.

In other words, this is the loudest “silent majority” I’ve ever run across.

But these are guys who love to pretend that their bold thoughts are being silenced, and PUA Anton LaVey Davis Aurini happily panders to their persecution complex:

Don’t let these people silence us. Your contribution will be a defiant strike against the degeneration and corruption that is going on in this world.

The word “degeneration” helps remind us that Aurini considers himself a part of the neo-Nazi-lite “Dark Enlightenment.”

Anyway, they argue that you should send them lots of money, because PUA Anton LaVey’s suits can’t be cheap you’ll be striking a blow for every dude who’s ever called Anita Sarkeesian a “whore” in a YouTube comment. Well, they don’t literally put it that way, but, you know, come on. That’s what they mean.

And hey, who wouldn’t trust this dude with their hard-earned cash?

Send me your money! Heh heh heh heh heh.
Send me your money! Heh heh heh heh heh.

I found this video hilarious from start to finish. Stick with it at least until, a little after 6 minutes in, PUA Anton LaVey Aurini lights up his second cigarette, showing what a devil-may-care attitude he has by mumbling his lines with a cigarette in his mouth as he fiddles with his lighter.

Yep, that’s the kind of quality investigative  journalism you can expect from these two.

Phoenician in a time of Romans
Phoenician in a time of Romans

ai know ur “trying to be funny” and “sarcastic”

Nope.

You’re an idiot.

Sorry – let me translate that down for you : U R an aidiot lol wat??!?

contrapangloss

Will you two quit it?

You were both right in different ways, until you started insulting eachother.

I’m kind of tired and annoyed, but really? What the frootloop is going on here?

contrapangloss

Phoenician, sorry if I seem snappish. Last few days have been uncool. I’m pretty sure a lot of it is reactionary, but it’s a reaction to a perceived new thing. Early games were totally marketed to both genders, until adverts tried to reimagine them as a boy only thing in the 90’sish.

Still, not really cool with the name calling. If scabz turns out to be a troll, I’m giving you advance permission to ‘I told you so’ all over the thread

Scabz, could you try rearticulating your point without using long videos or articles? And without calling people who propose counter arguments “mad scrubs” and telling them to “Stahp” because “Ur embarrassing urself”?

I’m kind of puzzled at what, precisely, you were trying to say.

Amatyultare
Amatyultare

I’m jumping in late here, but…yeah, beyond the absurdity of yet more “Debunking!!! Anita Sarkeesian!!!1! Demon Queen of the RadFem SJW running dogs!” videos, the way they are going about raising money seems very questionable. Specifically one big question: why Patreon?

Don’t get me wrong, Patreon is great for ongoing creators. If they were selling ‘we want to do an ongoing series about Teh Evil SJWs and you can support us/make our videos better’ that would be one thing. But they are talking about a theatrical release, so all of their planned videos put together can’t be longer than two hours or so – and considering they want $15,000 a month to film it at all, I have to imagine they plan on filming relatively large chunks per month, at least 20-30 minutes? So…why Patreon? Why not just Kickstart it, or do an IndieGoGo or GoFundMe campaign?

The only answer that is coming to mind is ‘because with a Patreon account, even if it takes a long time to reach $15,000+/month (I still CANNOT get over what a ridiculously high number that is to even START filming), we will still get all those monthly pledges when we post an ‘update video’ about how we don’t have enough money yet.’ (And the phrasing of the pledge, where you agree to pay a certain amount for ‘Each monthly update video on the making of our film’, makes it really unclear whether you’d be pledging per *month* or per *piece of content* – Patreon supports both – which in the latter case means they could get double donations by posting two videos in a month.)

seleukosnicator10

Ah yes JordanOwen42 and the white nationalist failed Aton Lavey impersonator. Jordan Owen is a would be author/rock star who is approaching forty and still hasn’t made it. He is also an Objectivist…..or rather he makes every Ayn Rand argument imaginable while screaming he is for freedom, while at the same time doing all he can to shut up anybody who he doesn’t agree with. Aurini is what’s called a “Race Realist” on word invented by racists for racists so they don’t sound like racists. These two sound like a real stellar pair to handle this “documentary”.

Scabz

Sorry about brief comments being brief.

ai haz no time to troll or compose lengthy comments when the videos explain much better than ai ever could. Far more eloquent and interesting than ai or this guy could be.

Also, ai thought this was about about having a point.
Turning everything into a sausage-fest haz got to stahp.
Let it go, bro.
It shows.

kthanxbai.

(excuse me for calling out scrub douchebaggery……ai don’t have the time to witness much more)

Fibinachi

Well, that was weird.

pallygirl

Yep Fibinachi, I’m with you in the totally confused group.

This was funny:

Maybe we should all just stop composing comments and simply link a video that contains our key point(s). That would be one odd comment trail. 🙂

…Is there something in the water all of a sudden?

pallygirl

*Perfect* lead in to me linking an NZ female artist:

contrapangloss

Okay; Phoenician, if you are around, feel free to do a victory dance. I apparently suck at both detecting trolls and mediating and mocking tonight.

🙁

contrapangloss

@katz…

I kind of am wondering the same thing. Blargh.

Can I give you an interweb hug for being consistent and awesome and not ‘everything in thread is imploding’y?

Deoridhe

The Fish video is a good one; it’s mostly about how feedback quickly becomes overwhelming in cases where people become objectified as representations of things that other people don’t like, and that in the long run that destroys our ability to actually speak about things, as everyone devolves into rhetoric.

On the other hand, ai/The Scrub Whisperer/Scabz is weird and probably trolling – or at the very least is uninterested in actually communicating, in which case zie might as well be a troll.

Meh, glass houses. It’s easy for me to act calm about this topic, because I’m neither trans nor a lesbian. But I’m guilty of defensively jumping on people when I feel like they’re attacking religion and not stopping to consider whether they might just have been unclear or misspeaking, or heaven forbid, making a reasonable point.

contrapangloss

Deoridhe,

I liked the video, but what I pulled from it didn’t compute with the immediate insulting stuff when someone posted a dissenting opinion.

So, yeah. Double tone fail for me in both detecting trolling and in stating properly what I meant.

It’s midnight here. I should just go to bed.

Tomorrow will be better, right?

Deoridhe

Sleep well. ^.^

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

Scabs, while Lolcat is indeed the language of Our Furry Overlords, it seems to be hampering your ability to be understood here. Maybe try writing in plain English just to clear things up a bit?

Johanna Roberts

I’m way late to this party. Watched the video because my husband started it up when I linked him to this article and then we basically watched it all in morbid fascination. I honestly have no sympathy for these guys who are so terrified of basic feminism. Sorry we’re tired of being treated like crap. Is there a way to report them? Anyone know if this is against paetron’s TOS?

Bogdan
Bogdan

@ideldilletentte, TheAmazingAtheist’s points are pretty shallow and all around wrong. They don’t show any nuanced understanding of how women are represented in media. They’re really just talking points, easy “objections” any asshole can shout to counter anyone bringing up the problem of how women are treated. They’re thought terminating cliches.

“I don’t think the damsel denigrates women, it’s just an easy plot device”

It’s easily both. They’re not mutually exclusive. It also speaks volumes how easily tropes that denigrate women (damsel in distress, women stuffed in the fridge, abusing prostitutes) are reached out and used as plot devices. It shows how flippant and casual developers are towards the violence women encounter in their lives.

They use women to “kick the dog” to show how horrible a villain is or to show how “gritty” a game world is. The women are just an expendable prop.

“Most game players and developers are male so most protagonists are male, ergo games are a male space and it’s TOTALLY NOT SEXIST OKAY?!”

First, game players are (about) equal amounts of men and women. Men creating stories about men, people like them, is fine. But that doesn’t necessarily need to come with all sorts of marginilization of other groups (POC, women etc.). That is what’s the problem here.

“The damsel in distress shows how much men love the women in their lives”

Uh… yeah. Sure. See objection below.

“I think this says something good about men and male values”

As noble as it seems on the surface it is really very paternalistic.

“These stories cannot be REMOVED from their cultural context!”

The damsel in distress trope has little to do with historical or cultural accuracy. It is really a troublesome archetype and easy plot device that happens to get shoved in a game. Secondly, the damsel women are little more than props that are cheaply used for male characters. The women themselves as people are irrelevant, and women (and their experiences) are hardly treated with seriousness.

“Because women are more likely to be victimized, they always will be… if women were stronger than men, I don’t doubt that men would be disproportionately victimized.”

So that justifies using their victimization as expendable props… how?

“Anything that men do that can be misconstrued as sexism, will be”

Irrelevant.

And I used to be a YouTube atheist. I actually once looked up to guys like TAA. They’re such insufferable douches.

I love this:

“These stories cannot be REMOVED from their cultural context!”

And that cultural context would be:
– in games set before the invention of antibiotics, the protagonist never dies of infection, or has to have a limb amputated, or is permanently crippled from an injury
– a very large percentage of women are prostitutes
– the authorities are so inept that even though a person is committing murder in front of witnesses, who could tie the protagonist to the scene at the right time even if they didn’t witness the murder, the protagonist is never captured
– dragons, elves, orcs, halflings, magic, etc never actually fucking existed.

The cultural context of a game is exactly what the game developers have constructed in the fucking game itself. That means anything and everything is up for grabs.

Why do others look to people like TAA as some type of super rational dude? He’s not, he doesn’t fucking get it. Also, I think he earlier criticized Anita for not having the correct credentials to analyse pop culture (guess what she has a masters degree in). He fucking doesn’t have social sciences or humanities training, to those of us that have that training his deficits shows in his “analyses”. So he can also fuck off for claiming he knows what he is talking about when it comes to cultural analysis.

That the small subset of male gamers is so fucking upset that a small part of their games which is not integral to the fucking plot or anything might change as a result of wider knowledge about these games is not a fucking reason to keep things as they are.

Gamer atheists like TAA: thanks for continuing to throw women under the bus. Fuck off, you’re not an ally.

Fibinachi

– dragons, elves, orcs, halflings, magic, etc never actually fucking existed.

Hey now, don’t forget Vox Day.

pallygirl

@Fibinachi, thanks that was going through my head as I typed it, but I couldn’t remember who it was who made that proposition. Hooray, this means I can repress Vox Day.

Oh, and I forgot about the fact that the protagonist can also:
– read, most people fucking couldn’t
– upskill in weapons really quickly
– switch between weapons in the blink of an eye
– allocate where to put levelling up points, and actually have levelling up points
– have incredible acrobatic skills for dodging (plus possibly passive always-active dodge skills too) irrespective of the body type or gear that the person is wearing

To say nothing of the little virtual reality hint things to show who’s an enemy (e.g. red circle around feet of character), map arrows to indicate where they should go, key plot points/useful things (like chests and barrels containing stuff) either highlighted on the map or easily highlighted with one keyboard click

So TAA tell me again just how realistic these games are.

pallygirl

Oh, and fucking stupid AI so that when it’s multiple NPCs against the protagonist, the person can take them out. No one sneaks up on you from behind and takes you out, except if that’s a plot device and it’s a segueway to a cut scene.

When your protagonist is injured, you can still fire and move okay (you may be crippled for a little time, but it wears off, swigging a health pot gives you back health while you’re under attack, you can get mana/stamina regen from pots as well). And if/when you die, your protagonist respawns (apart from hardcore mode on some games).

You get better gear as you move through the game, which are “drops” off NPCs, because that’s how people always upgeared themselves in real life.

So yeah, these games are sooooooooo culturally realistic.

Adam
Adam

I . . . I knew this was a serious video when I started watching it, but about 90 seconds in I had actually forgotten that for a moment. What a glorious self parody. I can’t imagine even the fans of these guys actually watched more than half of this.
Also, they’re already making high quality videos? Looking through one of their pages I mostly see webcam videos and one typo riddled manifesto playing over the I’m Mad As Hell speech from The Network. I know this movie won’t actually come out, but I really want it to now.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Not even a minute into it yet and “Goothrie”? Is that a really odd way to pronounce “Guthrie” or what?

Phoenician in a time of Romans
Phoenician in a time of Romans

@contrapangloss: Okay; Phoenician, if you are around, feel free to do a victory dance.

BrandonSP

Let me re-post what I said on that anti-Sarkeesian video’s comments panel:

“If people really want to explore whether women and minorities really have a difficult time fitting into the current gaming culture, why not actually talk to actual women and minorities about their experiences with gaming culture? Of course not all of them will give you the exact same opinions, but marginalized people should get to speak for themselves since they are the ones most affected by this issue.”

Seriously, if women and minorities really do feel ostracized by contemporary gaming culture (and I have definitely seen more than my fair share of racism and sexism in that culture, despite being a white male myself), there is no justification for privileging the opinions of defensive white males over the groups actually hurt by this.

Alex M
Alex M

I liked this project better when it was an Indiegogo campaign called Tropes vs. Men, had a Google document full of 4chan bullshit, and raised around 3000 dollars that only produced a few defensive “we’re working on it!” updates before both the money and all traces of the project’s existence vanished. These guys will probably deliver the promised videos, but to repurpose an Anita Sarkeesian quote, they’re going to produce three hours of rambling video that took three hours to make.

On Twitter, Moviebob and Samantha Allen are urging people to report this project to the Patreon admins under the terms of service prohibiting hate speech and harassment. What does everyone think about doing that? I’m tentatively for it because at this point, any legal, on-topic way to shut up and financially bleed abusive assholes to prevent them from further harming others is worth it, but I don’t think it’s quite that clear cut. They’re already whining about “censorship”, but they’d be doing that anyway, so why not get something good out of it?

Alex M
Alex M

I forgot to mention: fake Anton LaVey actually says “on paper, I have nothing against white nationalism. I am a huge white nationalist on paper.” in one of his videos.

Jordan Owen (@jordanowen42)

The purpose of the film is to address the demographic that you refuse to acknowledge exists: we, the people who are NOT hateful of women in gaming but who disagree with the arguments being made by social justice warriors. Your seething, raging inability to understand that reveals how narrow-minded and ideologically blinded you are.

Jordan Owen (@jordanowen42)

And Alex- please, have some intellectual honesty. The purpose of that video was to explain why he IS NOT a white nationalist.

Athywren
Athywren

See, you’re confusing a couple of different demographics here.
1) People who are not hateful of women in gaming.
2) People who are hateful of women in gaming, and use ridiculous labels like “social justice warrior” and intellectually empty strawmen in order to discredit a generally rational movement.
3) People who may or may not be hateful of women in gaming, but get their understanding of feminist arguments from people who call feminists social justice warriors, and so find themselves disagreeing with a strawman.

I’m going to assume that you mean the third group here… but then I don’t see why you’d bother wasting your time? Surely it’s better to address real arguments than strawmen? Why do you want to emulate creationists?

Yeah, men who get defensive whenever women call them out on anything sure are an underrepresented group. You never hear their opinions anywhere. *pats head*

pallygirl

Comment that makes no sense here:

Here I thought that your film will argue against the points that Anita has raised in her films, otherwise I don’t know why you would bother using her name in association with your proposal. Are you doing a bait-and-switch approach?

Video game content is not the be-all and end-all of the fronts where feminism is fightiing.

We’re not the “seething, raging” folks, you can stop with the projection. We’re not the ones doxxing, sending rape threats, sending death threats, or calling people gendered slurs. Those people are the ones more accurately termed narrow-minded and ideologically biased.

“Social justice warriors” have academic analyses and research supporting our contentions. We draw our conclusions from firm premises, that are modified as required if new data is found.

pallygirl

Further evidence of how this project isn’t science based, from the words of Aurini:

Davis M.J. Aurini
3 days ago

+Deren Dohoda You’re right; arguing with SJWs is how SJWs win. We’re not going to be confronting their arguments, but rather, exposing the disingenuous motives underlying them.

brooked
brooked

@Policy of Madness

Remember My Buddy? And how there was initially no “girl” equivalent, and when one was released it was Kid Sister? I was never 100% sure what to think about that.

“My Buddy, My Buddy, where ever he goes, I go!”

I know this isn’t a very productive post, but I’m super excited that someone made a My Buddy reference. That’s a quality 80s childhood flashback for me.

I was a lil’ proto-feminist kid and thought making a male doll marketed to boys was a positive thing at the time, all things considered.

brooked
brooked

How very Rush Limbaugh of him. I guess it’s helpful that they are being so upfront about their intellectual dishonesty.

Athywren
Athywren

I suppose it’s easier to “expose the disingenuous motives” than to critique arguments. Disingenuous motives are easy to cook up.
“You’re calling for fairer adoption protocols? WHY ARE YOU SUPPORTING PEDOPHILES?!?!??!”
See? Easy. Just run to the worst possible interpretation, even if it would need several following steps and a vast cultural shift, and that’s the real motivation of the sinister forces of the one world government anti-christ machine!!

brooked
brooked

Finally watched the video. Can confirm it’s hilarious.
(Note: I’m paraphrasing because I don’t want to watch these pompous doofuses again.)
“We expect this film to have a theatrical release as well as DVD and Blu-Ray” (Good luck with that gents.)

“Taking a seat at the round table of discussion” (With King Arthur’s blessing no doubt.)

“Five month filming period” (Way to aim low for the amount of work required for a full length doc.)

“Go down I’m the annals of history as a high quality documentary that will hopefully change the world” (No doubt.)

All the LOLS for these two hand gesture enthusiasts.

sparky
sparky

I’ve gotten to the point that I regard people who use the phrase “social justice warriors” the same way as people who use the word “sheeple” – I jut cannot take them seriously anymore.

<Jordan Owen (@jordanowen42) | August 27, 2014 at 2:51 am

Yeah, cause the way to show you don’t believe in an ideology is to agree with every principle of that ideology but refuse to accept the label.

brooked:

They think their documentary they’re making as a counter-response to a commentary about video games is going to change the world? I…they do know they’re talking about video game commentary, right?

Sol
Sol

Either a truly epic lack of self-awareness, or the most brilliant parody of all time.

Bald guy with the smokes. I have no words.

Alex M
Alex M

@David Futrelle

The issue is that this is much more than yet another “criticism” of Anita Sarkeesian. Their premise is specifically about every “social justice warrior” and I’m not entirely confident this won’t turn into a hit list of private, obscure people for the masses to harass into silence in the same way that MRAs dox people for merely showing up to protests.

If it was just another “but being a straight white man in the (former) British Empire is so hard!”, yeah, sure, they may as well steal 15 grand a month from their fellow misogynists, but I can’t give them the benefit of the doubt here.

Note that I’m not saying to file fake copyright claims or anything. I just figure since it is breaking Patreon’s terms of service, why not report it? Letting them break the rules because they might shout “censorship!” is counterintuitive. It probably doesn’t even matter at this point since Patreon’s admins have to be aware of it and further reports aren’t likely to affect their decision.

I just hope whatever the outcome, nobody gets hurt.

Tracy
Tracy

Augh, augh! Anton LaVey suit/Smokey is from Hamilton! Why so many in Canada? Why?

vaiyt

We know that you exist – but we also know that you are wrong and you’re supporting people that DO hate women. Stop walking with the pigs and maybe their shit won’t stick to your face.

lordpabu
lordpabu

“I’m still waiting on peer reviewed articles to support the positions of anti-social justice warriors. You don’t seem to understand that it’s the quality of the argument – as demonstrated by the evidence – that holds sway. You seem to be under the misguided impression that repetition of anti-social justice warrior “gotchas” is equivalent. One side here is science-based, and it’s not yours.”

I just wanted to say that this comment of Pallygirl’s had me cheering deep down in my bitter, disingenuous Social Justice Warrior soul. 😀

Also, can I just state how much I hate (sorry for that rhyme) the way people act like academic writings and scientific studies are corrupt when they don’t agree with them? Those are debates that just never go anywhere. I’ve even asked those people exactly how they expect to find common ground when they don’t believe any form of evidence that can be held accountable for it’s methods or truthfulness. I generally don’t get a clear answer. Just…stay away from anyone who types about SJW, Sheeple, and libtards I guess. ( liberals who use the terms teabagger and sheeple aren’t trying to be reasonable either, though I admit they annoy me less because they’re still on my side of the debate. I’m no saint. :P)

weirwoodtreehugger

Jordan,

Privileged white guys aren’t an underrepresented and voiceless demographic. Seriously. What are you whining about?

Athywren
Athywren

#notallprivilegedwhiteguys “disagree with” the arguments made by “social justice warriors.”

Bogdan
Bogdan

Speaking of Anita Sarkeesian and gaming, she got such bad threats and harassment she and her family actually had to leave their house and contact the police for their safety. I don’t know if you heard about it yet.

(Don’t worry David. The link is good. It’s a journalist’s article.)