antifeminism empathy deficit hundreds of upvotes imaginary backwards land mansplaining men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA oppressed men reddit that's completely wrong

Men's Rights Redditors agree: "It was empathy not misogyny that kept women from having careers."

Girl totally protected from the harsh world of work by nice men.
Girl totally protected from the harsh world of work by nice men.

Once upon a time, you may recall, women were denied the right to vote, couldn’t own property, were prevented from having careers of their own. Well, it turns out that all of these pesky “restrictions” weren’t really restrictions at all! They were protections that men provided women out of the goodness of their hearts. Men protected women from the terrible burdens of voting and property-owning and so forth, because they just cared about women so much.

Or at least that’s what a lot of Men’s Rights Activists seem to think, judging from this highly edifying discussion in the Men’s Rights subreddit.

rogersmith25 325 points 1 day ago  As I read /r/mensrights[1] more and more, it is becoming increasingly clear to me that the primary female privilege is empathy.  If a woman or girl is hurt, people care. If women are kidnapped, there is international media attention. If women are killed, their deaths are highlighted. If there is a conflict between a man and a woman, then people will jump in to defend the woman. If women are under-represented in an area, people want to take action to make things "equal".  If a man is hurt, it's funny. If men are kidnapped, we hear silence. If men are killed, their deaths are glossed over. If there is a conflict between a man and a woman, people will attack the man. If men are under-represented in an area, the president will call it a "victory" (as he did regarding the female majority in colleges).  Basically, people are programmed to have more empathy for women than men. 200 years ago, that empathy manifested itself in keeping women safe from harm by having them stay home to raise the family rather than die on battlefields or toil in mines. It was empathy not misogyny that kept women from having careers. Present-day, work is safe in offices, so today we have campaigns for women to earn more money and yet have more "balanced" lives where they can both raise a family and earn an "equal" career and, in other words, "have it all".      permalink     save     report     give gold     reply  [–]sierranevadamike 82 points 23 hours ago  wow... as a history major, I never looked at the "repression" of women throughout history as empathy rather than misogyny. I NEVER considered this option..  blew my mind..  thank youDroppaMaPants 45 points 22 hours ago  Restricting women to vote, hold property, etc. etc. would be a downside to the bad old days - but women always had empathy as a benefit.  Now that the bad old days are behind us, women maintained their old privilege and now hold disproportionate sway over men because of it.

It wasn’t just sierranevadamike who was “blown away” by rogersmith25’s comment: the Men’s Rights mods were so impressed that they reposted it and pinned it as the top post in their subreddit.

Apparently every day is “Opposite Day” on the Men’s Rights subreddit.

EDIT: Here, courtesy of Cloudiah, some more pictures of girls and women protected from that big nasty world out there.

That’s what huge government subsidies are for!

I thought we were talking about a post-apocalyptic scenario.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@katz:

Oh, right. Hmm… I guess zombie power is the only option.

Shiraz

That guy thinks his games are real life. That guy thinks first-person shooter games reflect Bio-Troofs. He thinks any random man picked off of the streets could perform the impossible acts depicted in action films by the likes of Rambo, Bruce Lee and Bruce Willis in real life.
That’s why some duders acts so hateful towards women gamers.
I’d like to know how many push-ups the guy who posted that shit brooked quoted upthread can do. And then I’d like to ask him why he thinks any random man is capeable of being a ninja with “raw strength combined with dexterity, self defense ability, ability to explode in controlled and agressive violence when needed to shield the innocent simultaneously.”
Then I’d like him to explain what the ever loving fuck does it mean to “…explode in controlled and agressive violence…”
Please. I mean seriously, give me a fucking break.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Oh good, I’m not the only one whose fingers were itching for a red pen.

vaiyt

I’ve never really bought the premise of apocalyptic fiction.

Post-apocalyptic pop fiction, at least, has two premises:

1) What if all this horrifying shit that already happens to a good chunk of humanity every day… STARTED HAPPENING TO WHITE PEOPLE AS WELL???

2) Hollywood told me I am supposed to receive a hero’s reward just for existing, but life isn’t fair… I know! if only the shackles of society were removed, I would totally become the badass hero I was meant to be all along!

vaiyt

Not coincidentally, 1) is a staple of old white American doomsayers, and 2) is the core of Libertarian thought.

Shiraz

Oh, my kingdom for a fucking red pen.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

@Vaiyt who posted:

“Hollywood told me I am supposed to receive a hero’s reward just for existing, but life isn’t fair… I know! if only the shackles of society were removed, I would totally become the badass hero I was meant to be all along!”

Yes. Jesus. As much as I like Shuan of the Dead, that’s what you’re sarcastically describing.
Otherwise known as “The Special” cliche. I’ve seen it hundreds of times. Sometimes, to innoculate myself against that shit I have to repeat these names — Buffy, Xena, Lady Jessica, Agent Scully, Cleopatra Jones.

Lea
Lea

vaiyt,
Perfectly put!

@ Cassandra who posted:

“I’m trying to figure out if there’s a way to delete all of the text in a Word doc and still send it back to the originator with track changes activated. No point even trying to fix that mess, just delete it and start over.”

Absolutely. Can you imagine a world in which anything submitted to the internet would first have to go through a real life copy editor for approval?

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

Psh, when society crumbles, I’ll be one of the first to go.

I would want to go when it happens, if not before. I have no desire to witness, let alone survive, such a thing.

GrumpyOldMan

“in this leftist, Communist, culturally Marxist and politically-correct world”

I have been noticing the similarity of warped thinking in the MRA crew and the far-right crew. Nice to have it confirmed.

“Can you imagine a world in which anything submitted to the internet would first have to go through a real life copy editor for approval?”

I sure can. Have you ever been copy-edited? I have been, and I would cut off all my fingers before I would subject my internet posts to copy-editing.

If you
– turn on track changes
– do the text changes and comments first (do not accept them)
– then do the deletions (do not accept them)

You should end up with a Word document as you wanted. This works in Word 2010, YMMV with other versions. At this point I shall merely say that LaTeX is superior.

And I love the trophies, I didn’t realise that the Rick Astley one got made. That one is mine, all mine. 🙂

On the Mad Max scenario: within 6 months to 1 year all diesel and petrol will be unusable due to contamination (assuming there is any remaining). Cholera will rear its head again. People will start coming down with communicable diseases against which we currently vaccinate.

And now I present to you Shroedinger’s Idiot: an idiot will be an idiot even when in an indeterminate state for all other facets, because being an idiot is an absorbing state.

@GrumpyOldMan who posted:

“Have you ever been copy-edited? I have been, and I would cut off all my fingers before I would subject my internet posts to copy-editing.”

Yes. I have been copy edited. For 12 years as a reporter. Now I freelance copy edit and teach English and grammar. So, yeah, these duders would never have a voice in any age proceeding digital technology.

pallygirl

Trying to get an article published in a peer reviewed journal is the most frustrating editing process I have ever been through. Work would like me to do one a year. My PhD supervisors would like me to do at least 3 off my PhD (which is actually going to be relatively easy as no-one else is publishing in my research space).

Given the crap I see published in peer reviewed journals (sample size too small, extrapolation beyond data points, extrapolation beyond sample demographics, correlations interpretated as causal, loads of univariate statistics and no multivariate model to show which individual factors have the biggest impact on the results) it annoys me when my research is so heavily criticised by peer reviewers.

One of the worst: anonymous peer reviewer, on a mathematical study I did on the gender pay gap, asks why I hadn’t considered that women wanted to be paid less than men. Made the same “point” for ethnic minorities. I replied to the editor that I had “noted” those reviewer comments. The editor then asked me what I meant by “noted” so I replied that I had read the comments and decided they were so stereotyped and wrong that I didn’t need to make any changes to the manuscript. Editor accepted my response.

Wow.

“…why I hadn’t considered that women wanted to be paid less than men.”

In what known universe? Jesus. Deny, deny deny.

pallygirl

It was connected with some bullshit idea about how low paid work meant that women could work in jobs that gave them the ability to drop off kids and pick them up, ignoring:
– that it is typically the higher paid jobs that are associated with flexible work hours, not the lower paid ones
– not all bloody women in the workforce have children that they need to drop off to school and pick them up
– some men actually do the child dropping off and picking up, and I had male colleagues doing this when I wrote the article.

All employment income was annualised up to full-time work so that part-time work wasn’t a reason for pay differences.

Bina
Bina

Used to be that men were obeyed, appreciated and respected for what we’ve done for women, civilization and society. Until that day returns, I wouldn’t piss on one to save her from burning alive on the ground in front of me, as is my right, unless she obeys, respects and appreciates me… and I try to teach these realities to every boy and man I encounter.

Aaaand THAT is why nobody respects or appreciates this dude, much less wants to obey him. He’s a self-important piece of shit, basically. Ain’t nothing he could do for any woman that she can’t do for herself, and much, MUCH better, too.

Phoenician in a time of Romans
Phoenician in a time of Romans

pallygirl: The editor then asked me what I meant by “noted” so I replied that I had read the comments and decided they were so stereotyped and wrong that I didn’t need to make any changes to the manuscript. Editor accepted my response.

“Thank you for your comments. Rest assured we will give them the full and due consideration they deserve.”

Useful phrase that.

Shiraz

Wow. I’m sorry they subjected you to such grand bullshit and gender essentialism.

pallygirl

My colleagues couldn’t believe it either. Still, the editor should have pulled those comments, as it is always on the editor what comments go to authors.

Janet
Reply to  Tessa

Okay, strong & em were supposed to be used to help with increased accessibility for non-visual web users, whereas b & i were meant to create a visual clue as to the importance of certain words and phrases. (Sorry about the run-on.)

http://www.idpf.org/accessibility/guidelines/content/xhtml/emphasis.php http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/H49.html

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

If we’re talking things science-fictiony, here’s a lovely bit of schadenfreude to enjoy: Pox Day’s garbage entry to the Hugo Awards came last.

Last.

It came after No Award in the final runoff.

contrapangloss

After No Award?

That is perfect. I didn’t know that was even possible.

weirwoodtreehugger

I’m too lazy to go get a Grumpy Cat “good” meme right now, but just imagine it there. You’ve all seen it!

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

Regarding soy…phytoestrogens, which soy has, are less potent that natural, bodily-produced estrogens.
They use, and block, the same receptors. They therefore act act a weak estrogen agonist. This is why soy phytoestrogens lower the risk of breast cancer…and shift the bodily balance of hormones a little bit in favor of testosterone.

That, as I understand it, is why soy is not only good for most people, it has the potential to make them sexually a little more frisky.

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

Neither did I, contrapangloss (I know zip about how the awards work).

Sometimes there really is justice!

That’s why there’s a No Award option: So that if there are terrible options, you don’t have to vote for any of them.

mildlymagnificent

It’s not all good news on soy. It can interfere with thyroxine medication for hypothyroidism. Doctors don’t generally have much to say whether it has any effect on thyroxine produced by the endocrine system itself. The main recommendation is to avoid soy milk in the first few hours after taking your daily dose. (On the other hand, fermented soy as in tofu and soy sauce, seems not to cause such problems – even according to the non-medical and anti-science nutrition crowd.)

pallygirl

This is where I am finding the oestrogenic properties of Tamoxifen interesting – its an antagonist for breast cancer cells yet has a protective effect on bone. So it doesn’t act the same as oestrogen, the action depends on the particular tissue. I find this fascinating, and I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me how this works biologically – a link would do.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

@ mm will look into that, thanks.

brooked

Day lost to “The Lady Astronaut of Mars”. Hee.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

I know nada for tamoxifen, haven’t had cancer yet…

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

Was looking into ways to masculinize. I’m physically female, but was kind of…um, thinking about getting less so. Why I happen to know about estrogen agonists.

pallygirl

Ah, I had assumed you were some sort of biologist or healthcare worker.

pallygirl

Oh gosh, not that the two situations are mutually exclusive /embarrassed hanging of head

Hyatt
Hyatt

Men have conceived, designed, built and maintained society and everything women enjoy, so there isn’t one alive who can say they don’t live or die on the intellect, insight, ingenuity, efforts and labors of men.

… Used to be that men were obeyed, appreciated and respected for what we’ve done for women, civilization and society

Yes All Men are responsible for everything good any man has ever done! (But Not All Men are responsible for the bad things other men have done.) Seems legit, if you leave deciding when an entire gender is held accountable for the actions of individuals to the MRA-types.

LBT
LBT

You know, funny, the whole “protecting against one’s will” that insanitybytes22 used.

See, we had a friend when we were newly out of the closet. Said friend was a woman, and verrrrry protective. Extremely so. And it wasn’t that she was toxic at all, it was just that we were stupid little children who couldn’t be trusted to do fucking anything because she knew better.

What I’m saying is, to “protect” us, she physically restrained me and DRAGGED me to the bathroom to force me to brush my teeth, while I kicked and screamed with all my might but couldn’t get free. Because apparently I couldn’t be trusted with such a mundane task.

Later, she outed me to a ton of people and told me everyone knew I was crazy, because I’d left her, and she was doing so much better without my crazy emotionally unstable ass but IF I EVER NEEDED HER…

So yeah, fuck off insanitybytes22. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

RE: WWTH

I’ve never really bought the premise of apocalyptic fiction.

I hear that. I write post-apocalyptic fiction, but most of it is just people going about their lives as best they can. There are assholes and there are nice people, just there are also zombies, which everyone views like any other dangerous wild animal. People are more wary of catching a godawful bacterial infection than they are zombie plague; plague zombies are FILTHY.

RE: cassandrakitty

Why worry about trying to make solar panels when you can just hook some zombies up to a windmill and make them run? Dangle some meat in front of them and you can power your whole farm.

…I might have to use this for a future story.

RE: blahlistic

I was on a low dose of testosterone for about a year and a half. It’s put me where I want to be, if that’s of any interest to you.

twincats
twincats

@pallygirl

“It would only take nine days of hunger for the women to begin prostituting themselves,” Hunt tells me.”

Because clearly women have no other tradeable skills, and in hunter-gatherer and agrarian societies women do not contribute food.

These guys are toxic.

I haven’t gotten to the end of this thread yet, but this reminded me of a convo I had at work with a customer last week who was buying sock yarn. We were joking about the amount of said yarn we both had and then she said that she watched the “Doomsday Preppers” show and thought that the ability to knit socks would help keep women of a ‘certain age’ like ourselves alive.

A pair of hand-knit socks is gonna cost ya, big (footed) guy! Baby booties, on the other hand, are free. Squeeee!!

@Nequam

On a more light-hearted note re preppers: anyone else think that the trend in paracord braiding (for bracelets, etc.) is basically macrame rebranded for preppers?

Yes, totally! The jewelry making dept. where I work has been partially overtaken by the stuff. Apparently, though, it’s the best shoelace material out there and probably the best also for corset/bodice lacing (for you costumers 😉

Phoenician in a time of Romans
Phoenician in a time of Romans

Hyatt: Yes All Men are responsible for everything good any man has ever done!

It works the same way for race, too. A white man once landed on the moon and I am a white man so, despite every possible indication to the contrary, i am a Noble Hero worthy to Rule.

shoutabyss

Reblogged this on Shouts from the Abyss and commented:
Don’t you love it when those with power form their own “rights group” to protest the long-overdue system correction? My reblog of the week is a sadly funny take on why men kept women from having those oh-so-dangerous careers.

Alejandra Armitage

I sincerely don’t know how to read these MRA’s posts online without wanting to cry. I have an uncontrollable urge to send them a very impassioned rant but i’d be flooded with comments about how I’m “on my period”. One day I will be able to read these and laugh.

Snoring Dog Studio

And I worry about being mugged by a stranger some night… A more realistic fear is that I’m apparently surrounded by idiot men who never got out of the caves.

wbotb

This blog has made me want to ask mra’s this one thing. Vagina envy much?

1 8 9 10