Uncategorized

Open Thread: The death of Michael Brown and the situation in #Ferguson

Police_Shooting_Missouri-0fe27

Beyond appalling.

Please post useful links, pics, videos. I will update this post with more.

Video of demonstration, police firing teargas and rubber bullets.

Ferguson Is 60 Percent Black. Virtually All Its Cops Are White.

Elon James White Twitter feed

Google News Realtime coverage of Ferguson

weirwoodtreehugger

I’m flipping between news channels and CNN showed tear gas near the Al Jazeera crew but failed to mention that the police dismantled their gear :/

Luzbelitx

This is so appalling indeed… I’m catching up with all the information, but it makes me so sad… reminds me of the saying “give me a threshold at which you’ll finally fight back”.

Ally S

@Lids

I’m with you on your hatred for cops (although that shouldn’t come as a surprise since you read my Tumblr. =P)

I hate all cops. Even the ones who are less brutal and do nice things occasionally. I’m not saying this to be edgy or act like a True Anarchist (although my view of cops should come as no surprise since I’m an insurrectionary anarchist). I’m saying this because I’m tired of people being overly apologetic towards cops.

They wield far too much power to be trusted. They terrorize oppressed people, reinforce systems of domination through violence and always credible threats of violence, and ultimately are lauded as protectors of society in spite of all of their brutality.

Cops get away with raping my friends, cops get away with killing POC and especially black POC, cops protect rapists and abusers and shame/traumatize survivors of abuse and rape, cops abuse homeless people on the street daily right where I live, and cops protect the ruling class at the expense of everyone else. I know that cops are capable of doing good things, but I really don’t care. Every time I see a cop I fear for my safety. That’s not how anyone should feel around someone who is ostensibly designated to protect citizens.

bunnybunny
bunnybunny

Activists explain why the Mike Brown shooting is a feminist issue and What Is a ‘Women’s Issue’? Women of Color Challenge the Prevailing Narrative. Best read together in my opinion. I’m a little torn between feeling that something should be considered a “feminist issue” versus “an issue to feminists.”

freemage
freemage

Ally: There’s one other item I’d suggest putting in your list, when you encounter someone who starts in with Not All Cops. Even those cops who never do any of the other stuff in the list are part of the system that prevents those cops who do from ever facing any sort of corrective action. It is impossible that they are unaware of at least some of these abuses (if they are, I would sincerely suggest that that eliminates their credibility as cops anyway), and yet we are not seeing thousands of police officers refusing to accept unlawful and oppressive orders, nor are we seeing them in situations like this calling for the officer who screwed up in the first place to be removed from the force and face criminal charges.

The “Code of Silence” bullshit is a legit reason to hate ALL cops, even those who never commit any corrupt or oppressive acts themselves.

LBT
LBT

RE: Ally/pecunium

Worse, they have doxxed the wrong person.

Goddammit, Anonymous. At least be USEFUL, and not make things worse! What’s so frustrating is they actually could be really handy in this situation if they actually worked properly.

thoushaltbemocked

Damn, this shit is bad. Anyone who believes that black people don’t face racism in modern-day America should read this to get their head pulled out of their ass.

strivingally

Similar to those posted by Robb and mildlymagnificent: Don’t Call The Police Militarized. The Military Is Better Than This.

How, then can anyone say that the police in St. Louis County, and all over America, are not militarized? Because the cops aren’t acting like soldiers. They’re acting like extras in a Michael Bay movie playing soldiers.

Despite their expensive costuming, the police in Ferguson are putting on an unsophisticated, unscripted performance, a copy without an original. If these cops were to take a page out of the Army’s book on crowd control, it would be an improvement. But they seem to be making up tactics to go with the gear they’ve acquired.

strivingally

And an article from Amanda Marcotte on the incredibly awful handling of this situation by police and the undercurrents of paranoid conspiracy theory bullshit that underlie events like those in Ferguson. Context matters:

Time for some blunt talk: Right wing America has spent the past six years passing around paranoid urban legends that push this notion that Obama is trying to organize some secret “takeover” of the country, often involving fears that conservative white people will be rounded up into camps and other such nonsense. The racist paranoia of this is often subtextual but unmistakeable.

[…] a perfect encapsulation of right wing thinking on this issue: Equating the inclusion of black Americans with some kind of “takeover”.

Six years of whipping yourself into a paranoid frenzy is a lot of years. I don’t even know if it’s possible for a mostly white—and with 99% certainty, mostly conservative—police force to meet a crowd of mostly black protesters in a calm, rational state after spending six years wallowing in this kind of paranoid thinking. If you’ve been waiting on tenterhooks for the violent “takeover” that right wing email chains have been predicting for years, is it even possible to see a bunch of peaceful protesters for who they are? I’m guessing not. No, you’re going to think the mythical war has finally come, and you’re going to act like it.

Myoo
Myoo
GrumpyOldMan

I try to stay away from politics on this blog, but this seems to be a good spot for a little bit of politics.
The Republican’t party has long been the party of corporate interests, and has stayed politically viable by pretending to care about the social issues (anti-choice, anti-gay, etc.) of the religious right, who have been persuaded to vote against their economic interests, and also by bringing in a few groups that are usually religiously conservative but have other hot-button issues as well, such as the nativist/anti-immigrant bunch. The election of 2008 tolled the death knell for this coalition, showing how it depended on elderly white people who were not being replaced by younger people, white or otherwise, who are far less conservative on both social and economic issues. This message was confirmed in 2012. However, the Rs find themselves unable to move toward the center on issues like immigration and gay rights, and are actually being pulled farther to the right on issues like contraception, because they organized the Tea Party as a quick fix to the problems of 2008 and now find themselves in bondage to a base that has no tolerance for tolerance.
The result is that they have no ability to create and advance a program of policies that might appeal to people outside their base. Health care? All they can do is hate on and obstruct Obamacare, since they can’t come up with any plausible alternative that the anti-government right won’t hate. Immigration? Any plausible solution to the immigration issue would include a pathway to citizenship for many of the undocumented people who have become integrated into the US society and economy, but the anti-immigrants won’t stand for it — they’d even like to deport the Dreamers. But they remain able to obstruct due to the demographics of House districts, where Democrats tend to be clustered in urban areas while Republican’ts are much more dispersed, and the constitutional composition of the Senate, which favors small states that tend to be rural and thus lean Republican’t (except for the People’s Republic of Vermont). (As to the House, the most striking example is Pennsylvania, where the Democrats won the overall vote for the House but the Republican’ts took 13 of 18 seats.)
Given this situation, the only strategy remaining for the Rs is to play to the anger, hatred, racism and the rest of the negative emotional fears of their elderly white base, who can be persuaded that “They” are trying to take “their” country away from them — and hope to get enough of them to turn out to win the 2014 mid-term elections. I believe (or at least hope) that they will set themselves up for a crushing defeat in 2016, when, in particular, the Senatorial map is strongly skewed against them, and they have no plausible Presidential candidate who can survive the Tea Party dominated primary process.

scarlettpipstrelle

Actually way more unarmed black males have been gunned down by police than we normally hear about. Also, police have misused tasers as well as choke holds. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/taser-an-officers-weapon-of-choice/ And have you noticed all the dog shootings? And the increasing use of SWAT teams for ordinary police activities. And the no-knock raids for all sorts of “reasons.”

And the mass detentions. http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/05/19/colorado_mass_detention_aurora_lawsuit_alleges_constitutional_violations.html And the tear gas and pepper spray.

Someone remarked on the wearing of camouflage uniforms in a place like Ferguson. What did they think they were going to blend in with?

tiko72
tiko72

This is horrific.The murders,the response of the police and the reporting by the mainstream media.I could say more but previous commenter’s have put things far better than I could.

I will just say this.It’s like the police just don’t give a shit what people think,probably because they know that the racist ignorant bigoted section of the public are right behind them cheering them on.

redpoppy
redpoppy

Police seem to be a government sponsored violent gang of angry, reactionary hoodlums if you ask me.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

Cops really, REALLY seem to forget that a taser is defined as a “less-lethal” weapon. It’s not a “non-lethal” weapon.

If you can tase someone instead of shooting them, because that person is armed and dangerous, that’s good. You’re way less likely to kill with a taser.

If you are tasing someone multiple times to get them to comply, this in a situation where lethal force wouldn’t otherwise be justified, then you ought not to be using a goddamn taser.

If you’re using a taser in a situation where you could have talked someone down and not had things spiral out of control in the first place, you’re an idiot.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Of course this is, from a moral perspective, absolutely outrageous. But removing the moral component is revealing, because this is the opposite of effective policing if one’s objective is to reduce crime. However, it is the perfect response if one’s objective is to reduce reported crime without expending many resources over the long run.

By the numbers, the crude and completely non-nuanced numbers, the St. Louis PD may look very, very good for the next 8-10 years as POC, especially black POC, decline to report crime. This is also a great way to support physical and economic segregation between black people and whites, as is all outsized police action against minority persons.

I’m not saying that this is their goal. I have not been privy to the motives of their coordinators. I’m saying that, if the objective were not only born out of racism, but intended to reinforce racism, the actions that have been taken in reality would be fully consistent with that goal. Furthermore, they will have that effect, whether the intention was there or not.

lkeke35
lkeke35

The irony is that pandering to the kinds of people that make up their base, only makes those who are middle line conservative get turned off from them. Which ends up concentrating their constituents into a smaller and tighter circle of paranoia and intolerance.

Also you have to understand that people have been primed by years of television, movies and thriller novels to think of the police as ” the good guys/white hats of America”. The police themselves have watched all these movies and tv shows with fine upstanding, noble white cops fighting the hoards of ” Black and Brown Thugs” and upholding civilization. We’ve all been inundated with the stories of how dangerous their jobs are and how they deal with the dregs of society and how they’re so sensitive, which results in alcoholism, divorce and suicide. Americans have all been as carefully brainwashed to have empathy for the police, no matter what they do as they have been brainwashed to automatically associate the word “criminal” with the word “Black”. Many of the excuses I’ve heard for the police of Ferguson come right out of the movies and tv shows we’ve been listening to for decades.

I think that says a lot about Americans ability to ignore what’s right in front of their eyeballs in favor of platitudes and happy lies. Also a complete inability to question any of the media they consume.

strivingally

A great piece from three years ago by Digby regarding the increasingly unnecessary war-ready hardware the police are sporting:

The United States has never had fully militarised police before, armed with the kind of high-tech surveillance and weaponry that would never be allowed if the National Guard were called up in an emergency. And neither have we ever had such a malleable definition of what constitutes an emergency. At a time of increasing citizen unrest, it’s a volatile combination.

closetpuritan

@mildlymagnificent:

But a fair average quality police officer who’s been _trained_ to keep in touch with the community would use such a golden opportunity to establish or enhance relationships.

Another problem (in addition to the racism) is that in many police departments, police are not being trained in community policing.
So when you arm a cop like a soldier, when you dress ‘em like a soldier, when you tell ‘em to fight in a war and then send ‘em out into a neighborhood that he has no stake in and doesn’t consider himself a part of, you get a very antagonistic, us-versus-them relationship between the officer and that community. I think that is really pervasive, and the rise of the stop-snitchin’ movement, whatever you think of it, shows there are entire communities in this country that are more afraid of police than they are of the people that the police are supposed to be protecting them from. That is a pretty terrible development.

I think that the us-vs-them of racism and the us-vs-them of the warrior cop is a situation where the whole is more than the sum of its parts, and not in a good way. Especially when the entire department is almost all white and the community is not.

Ally & freemage–Between knowing Grace Annam (online, as a regular on Alas) and knowing my uncle (a former cop) I can’t get on board with the “all cops are bad” thing. But I think there is probably not just a difference between the quality of officers, but the quality of departments; I don’t think that a state trooper hearing secondhand or in the news about corruption in a city police department, or a cop in one city hearing about corruption in another city, really has more power to do anything about it than we do.

GrumpyOldMan

There was quite a kerfluffle in the nearby college town of Keene, NH, when the police purchased an armored vehicle with $285,933 in Federal Homeland Security money. Leaving aside the GOOD things you could do with all that money, there is the question of whether having such a vehicle has a psychological effect on the police, making them more aggressive.

But then Keene has a Pumpkin Festival every October, where people do get drunk and rowdy.

strivingally

I know that there’s been plenty of research that shows when a hospital gets a shiny new piece of equipment, a lot more people get sent for tests that use that shiny new piece of equipment, and it usually takes a while for the unnecessary extra tests to settle down because everybody feels the need to justify the shiny new machine and also gets excited about the shiny new machine. And having played a round or two of paintball, I know that just having something gun-shaped in your hands, and an enemy in front of you to fire it at, does definitely do something to change the way you think, at least temporarily. Those two things combine in nasty ways when it comes to people who are meant to serve and protect the community, especially in the context of @closetpuritan’s point about the cops also not having a direct stake in making the engagement with the community peaceful and cooperative.

It’s interesting to see the other side of it now as well – EJW’s twitter feed is suggesting that since the riot teams backed off, the protests have actually settled right down. I guess people feel more antagonistic when they’re having tear gas and rubber bullets fired at ’em by the same people who are protecting someone who killed one of their kids, huh?

lkeke35
lkeke35

While I don’t speak for all WoC, I’d like to give a tearful, heartfelt THANK YOU! To everyone on this forum and a couple of others for proving to me that Black people are not alone in our outrage.

My heart has felt so heavy and I’ve been fighting back my tears and fears all week long. And as usual, every time one of these things happens, there are White people crawling out of the woodwork to hop on any ideological train they believe will run over some Black people. Like cockroaches, they exemplify my every secret and not so secret fear that White people are sociopaths who care nothing for lives that don’t directly affect their own. It makes me doubt my friends and give my co workers the side eye, wondering which one of them is harbor ing this toxic irrationality. It affects my relationships and I hate thinking such things about people I care about.

The past few days has done a lot to dispel a lot of those fears.

The bottom line is: What kind of person do you want to be? Some of the people on these and other forums have shown me that they, at least, try to live according to the “Better Angels of their nature” rather than their lowest impulses.

I thank all of you for the compassion and empathy with which you have approached this topic. ????

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

Petition to require police to wear cameras.
Not a bad idea.
However, not a perfect fix either, because cameras can conveniently malfunction and so forth.

Shiraz
Shiraz

strivingally nailed it upthread.

weirwoodtreehugger

It looks so far tonight the protests have been peaceful. The state police took over and haven’t been violent towards the protesters. Lo and behold there’s no rioting!

Phoenician in a time of Romans
Phoenician in a time of Romans

Lo and behold there’s no rioting!

But how can that be unless police with snipers rifles and tear gas are there to give order?

sparky
sparky

Thank you, vraydar, for sharing that link. That is an awesome article.

President Obama’s official statement:

(TW: racism)

And, of course, Fox News turns it into a chance to attack President Obama:

From that link:

Fox’s Starnes Asked Why Obama Didn’t Offer Condolences For Officer Who Shot Brown. In a series of August 12 tweets, Fox’s Todd Starnes asked why President Obama offered no condolences for the police officer, claiming he was allegedly attacked by Brown:

Yeah, gee, I wonder why the President didn’t offer condolonces to the still living cop who shot an unarmed teenager. I fucking wonder why.

I think I’m going to be sick.

weirwoodtreehugger

There’s no low that Fox won’t sink to. Every time it seems like they’ve hit rock bottom, they go further.

cloudiah

@lkeke35, All the hugs if they’re wanted. This is raw. As far as I’m concerned, we’re doing basic human decency by being outraged at the murder of this young man. Everyone should be outraged.

I was able to catch the tail end of a #NMOS14 protest in my city, and it was very cool. Good people there. Glad I went.

<3 <3 <3 to everyone.

cloudiah

And fuck racists. Seriously, fuck them.

Fibinachi

What?

No, no, really, what? What condolences should the president offer this person who is still alive, was not apparently either hurt badly or traumatically wounded? “Sorry you had to shoot someone?”? You give a condolence because someone died, and then you say you feel the keen loss that person’s familiy and friends must feel, you can’t give a statement of condolences to someone who isn’t in a situation where that is required?

That is seriously like asking why, oh why, didn’t Obama run a marathon while tied to a tree. The question itself makes no sense.

You could probably ask why you don’t make a statement of regret that the level of violence in some cities is so high that police officers on duty occassionally have to use lethal force, yes, but… I just… you what… he…. What condolences exactly? I can’t… it’s not… shooting someone is tragic. It’s a loss of human life. It’s a terrible, dreadful thing, but you either do it as a murderer, in which case you don’t get condolences, you do it as a hunter, in which case why the fuck is someone giving you condolences or you do it as part of your job in the line of duty, in which case, I don’t understand why you’d want condolences for… I…

what

what

what
the what?

This is a like a bee in my brain. Is it like a “Sorry we’re all in this tragic, terrible situation” kind of deal? That can’t be it. That’s not what they mean. Argh, my head. Argh.

Fibinachi

No, seriously, did someone just straight up state that a homicide is a tragic misfortune worthy of condolences being given to the person who killed someone else?

Who does that? You can’t do that. That is literally on the level of saying “Sorry, you stepped on a bug and I think you might have to wash your shoes”. It’s… that’s…

That’s the most racist thing I have ever read. Even the Stormfront people at least acknowledge that everyone else is human, albeit a sub level. It takes a whole other load of solipsism to turn everyone else into background props for your personal vendetta.

Again. Argh.

Hyatt
Hyatt

I wonder if it’s like how in publicized rape cases the media always has people pitying the perpetrators, because the crime will ~follow them forever~ and ~ruin their lives~. So like them, we should feel sorry for the poor cop whose ~momentary lapse in judgment~ sparked the whole thing and will have it hanging over his head for his whole life. Because his future potential employment and peace is what’s important here, not the kid that he killed. The victim’s just incidental, a statistic. The real human interest story is with the perpetrator.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

There is a nonzero possibility that the cop is, in fact, sitting at home right now feeling poorly about himself. My grandpa once killed someone – he was driving at highway speeds, on a highway, and a dude stepped into traffic for reasons we’ll never know, and Grandpa struck and killed him. Grandpa was very broken up about this and had PTSD about it for a while.

However, these situations are not the same, and I’m not sure why Obama, or I, or anyone else should be asked to sympathize with someone who shot an unarmed young man in the back multiple times. Even in the Wild West that kind of thing would have been called murder. Having one’s back turned and being shot in the back is THE stereotype for “killed while it was impossible to be threatening in any manner.” Then the cop pulled the trigger a few more times for good measure.

If he’s at home feeling bad, GOOD. He should feel bad. And he should be prosecuted for murder. Only someone who is so focused on faulting Obama for literally everything he does would make a statement saying or implying otherwise. Obama ate breakfast this morning? DIDN’T HE KNOW THERE IS VIOLENCE GOING ON IN ST. LOUIS???? How can he possibly eat at a time like this????

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

Thanks to everyone on this thread for the links and the anger. I’ve wanted to join in, but I just can’t.

I’ve signed petitions, and I’ve written my congresspeople and my state reps. I live in the sticks, so there are no protests for me to attend and I don’t have the bandwidth right now to organize one myself. I did the same things after the killings of Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis (yay, home state), and things are just getting worse. Is there anything else a white woman can do to help end all of this? Is there anywhere I can donate money, more people I can bother, anything else I can do?

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Fox stooge Starnes wants to know why Obama didn’t offer condolences to the killer? Um, because Obama is not a fucking idiot, nor does he share your fear and loathing of young black men?

Sometimes I wonder if being clinically diagnosable with anti-social personality disorder is a requirement to get a job at Fox.

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

The Ferguson police chief’s press conference was a disgrace. First, he was trying really hard to link Michael Brown to a convenience store robbery by including it in his “timeline” of events. He completely leaped over the shooting itself. Finally, he couldn’t even remember Michael’s name and was nervously flipping his papers trying to find it. What a fucking racist asshole.

GrumpyOldMan

Fox is a propaganda machine run by long-time Republican’t operative Roger Ailes. That is all it is — a means to keep the Republican’t base hot and bothered. A big part of their mission is to mindlessly spin every thing Obama does as some sort of abomination.

lkeke35
lkeke35

Flying Mouse: Thanks for supprting that community as best you could, but really, all that is required is that you let your voice be heard by them and just be a decent human being who cares about other people’s lives.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

Thanks, lkeke35.

Lea
Lea

Of course it’s described as a feminist issue on this site, everything is. And framing it as a mens issue would be considered mysoginistic.

So, black women being effected by the loss of their children and living in fear of the police or other racists murdering their sons is misandry. Women caring about men being gunned down in the streets is misandry and MRAs are angry and complaining about accusations no one has leveled at them.

Just when you think you cannot possibly like misogynists less…

Lea
Lea

Here’s another:

This is nothing more but the feminist narrative attempting to hi-jack, usurp or exploit a horrendous incident. The victim here is Mike Brown a man, a black man.

Can you believe it? Usurp. Caring about an issue and recognizing that that issue also deeply effects women and that feminists should take up as a cause is “usurping”.

Yeah, those mourning black moms, just usurping and exploiting men by loving their sons.

…and a black man wrote that. Presumably he has a mother. I wonder what she’d say to her son if he told her his safety meant nothing to her?

*SMASH ALL THE THINGS*

Lea
Lea

I guess these dudes don’t think any women are living in the neighborhoods being tear gassed either.

lkeke35
lkeke35

There have been plenty of people arguing that this is only a Black issue. Now you’ve got these guys arguing that it isn’t a Women’s issue, although women are involved. I’m going to have to disagree with both arguments. I have long argued that it’s an American issue.

People fail to believe that just bc it’s not an issue for them right now, doesn’t mean that police misconduct and authoritarian abuse won’t become an issue for them later. This kind of crap starts in Black neighborhoods, but they need to understand, that these guys will soon be branching out to a suburb near them and the excuse they’ll be using is that White people need to protected from the dangerous thugs and gangs of the inner city. (They’ve already created the rhetoric for this.)

And people are so mentally inert, and just accept whatever they are spoon fed by Faux News that not a one of them will lift a single voice in protest as they’re rights are rolled up and done away with.

I hated the Star Wars prequels but still that is a classic illustration of people signing away their sovereignty “to thunderous applause.” If Americans keep it up, that’s how it’s going to happen here..

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

QFT.

I’ve had that Martin Niemöller quote running through my head for three days now.

strivingally

They then contradicted their statements in court, claiming he hadn’t bled on them. I don’t even know what to say. :/

Police in Ferguson, Missouri, once charged a man with destruction of property for bleeding on their uniforms while four of them allegedly beat him.

“On and/or about the 20th day of Sept. 20, 2009 at or near 222 S. Florissant within the corporate limits of Ferguson, Missouri, the above named defendant did then and there unlawfully commit the offense of ‘property damage’ to wit did transfer blood to the uniform,” reads the charge sheet.

The address is the headquarters of the Ferguson Police Department, where a 52-year-old welder named Henry Davis was taken in the predawn hours on that date. He had been arrested for an outstanding warrant that proved to actually be for another man of the same surname, but a different middle name and Social Security number.

I’m just so full of rage and sadness for all of you living in the US right now. You deserve better than police forces like this.

Lea
Lea

I think being shot for being black is a black issue.

My kids are white. One of my kids walked up to a restaurant to get some grub with her friend. I’m not remotely worried that those two will be shot by the cops. As a white mom, I will never feel the fear black moms have to live with everyday.