Uncategorized

Open Thread: The death of Michael Brown and the situation in #Ferguson

Police_Shooting_Missouri-0fe27

Beyond appalling.

Please post useful links, pics, videos. I will update this post with more.

Video of demonstration, police firing teargas and rubber bullets.

Ferguson Is 60 Percent Black. Virtually All Its Cops Are White.

Elon James White Twitter feed

Google News Realtime coverage of Ferguson

Ally S

Thanks, David!

strivingally

Here’s something cheerful to kick things off:

St Louis PD fired a Lt. who was under investigation for alleged racial profiling.

When combined with Ally’s Mother Jones link about the stats in Ferguson, that’s a pretty bad dynamic.

(thx4thread Dave <3)

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

I just can’t help but compare this result to the Bundy Ranch standoff a couple of months ago. So a bunch of armed white people gather with the explicit purpose to violently resist the government stopping a man from stealing from taxpayers? Why, lets celebrate them as heroes on fox news! But a bunch of (primarily) black people protest police brutality and the execution of an unarmed teen and suddenly its rioting and the proper response in tear gas, rubber bullets, and arresting journalists.

Tells you everything you need to know about racial politics in the US.

Honestly, I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more often, given that the police seem to murder black men all the fucking time.

Matt S.

Video from earlier today. You can hear police asking media to turn off their cameras. Scary. http://new.livestream.com/accounts/9035483/events/3271930

strivingally

Another fun one:

You Have A Right To Record The Police in the course of their duties, in spite of what protestors in Ferguson were being ordered to do.

Police militarization + hostility to scrutiny + racial tensions = clusterfuck

redpoppy

Apparently, there was an uptick in gun sales within the St. Louis area. The people buying guns were, of course, white people. A white person with a gun is seen as exercising their 2nd amendment rights. A black person with a gun? Well he or she is just seen as a dangerous criminal.

BreakfastMan
BreakfastMan

I can’t be the only one who thought of these songs after reading about the situation… Still, this is some horrible crap. I think we have yet another Rodney King situation here…

sudfemdad
sudfemdad

Video from earlier today. You can clearly hear cops asking for cameras to be turned off. http://new.livestream.com/accounts/9035483/events/3271930

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

Seconded for truth.

strivingally

@redpoppy:

Worse than that, a white man with a gun is regarded as less dangerous than an unarmed black man. Mike Brown, Trayvon Martin, Jordan Davis are the three that spring immediately to mind, and it should not be that easy for me to keep track of cases with those characteristics in another freakin’ country.

The case it calls to mind for me is Thomas “TJ” Hickey.

alternatesteve90

Been watching this unfold, and I gotta say, it’s a real goddamn shame what’s been happening over there, in Ferguson, Mo.

There is obviously a major corruption problem within many police departments today, and, yes, I think we can agree that much of it does involve racism. Although, perhaps we can also agree that said type of corruption is also not exactly new, either.

redpoppy

@strivingally– Good point and agreed. And, unfortunately, we have to add YET ANOTHER to the list. An unarmed black man was gunned down by the LAPD. I am posting this as I feel it is overall relevant to the discussion.

redpoppy

His name is Ezell Ford, by the way.

strivingally

Here’s a really good article about the militarization of US police.

While serving as a U.S. Marine on patrol in Afghanistan, we wore desert camouflage to blend in with our surroundings, carried rifles to shoot back when under enemy attack, and drove around in armoured vehicles to ward off roadside bombs.

We looked intimidating, but all of our vehicles and equipment had a clear purpose for combat against enemy forces. So why is this same gear being used on our city streets?
[…]
“Why do these cops need MARPAT camo pants again,” I asked on Twitter this morning. One of the most interesting responses came from a follower who says he served in the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division: “We rolled lighter than that in an actual warzone.”

Scary, scary shit.

sparky
sparky

An article from NPR about the “If They Gunned Me Down” twitter campaign.

alternatesteve90

Oh, and R.I.P., Michael Brown. ='(

weirwoodtreehugger

Gawker has compiled some pretty intense twitter images. http://gawker.com/ferguson-missouri-august-13-2014-1621363611

strivingally

Some reporting on the story from my part of the world

“We’ve done everything we can to demonstrate a remarkable amount of restraint,” St Louis County police chief Jon Belmar told the LA Times.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT IS THIS THING YOU CALL POLICE BRUTALITY THIS IS PRACTICALLY TICKLE-FIGHTING TEAR GAS IS WHAT WE CONSIDER A POLITE INTRODUCTION

Seriously, WTF.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

Not really related, but possibly really related:

Apparently, it’s national police homicide month.

weirwoodtreehugger

Ugh, yeah. I just read about that. Let’s not forget about Eric Garner http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/staten-island-man-dies-puts-choke-hold-article-1.1871486?utm_content=buffer96a7a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw

It’s like there’s a new one every day.

I’m wondering if there’s been an increase in this the past few years or if the internet has just made us pay more attention? I always knew police brutality against people of color was common. As a kid I knew about the violence against civil rights activists and the whole Rodney King thing happened when I was about 12. But it didn’t seem like it used to be an almost daily occurrence.

weirwoodtreehugger

There’s a moment of silence tomorrow at 6 pm in remembrance of police brutality victims. Not sure if that’s supposed to be time zone specific or if it’s supposed to be 6:00 wherever you are though. I’m guessing the latter?

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

@ weirwood, I think it’s always been like that.

strivingally

At least this Washington Post reporter kept his sense of humour:

6 hours ago Ryan Reilly introduced himself to me in a McDonalds. Then we ended up in jail. Wonder what he's got planned for our second date— Wesley Lowery (@WesleyLowery) August 14, 2014

redpoppy

It might just be the internet because historically this has been going on a very long time. It’s depressing, it’s awful. I don’t think I can even imagine the amount of pain, anger and grief black Americans have felt throughout the years.

Ally S

On Twitter, people from Gaza and the West Bank are sending advice for the demonstrators in Ferguson about defending against tear gas. This is real solidarity.

Links: 1, 2 and 3

weirwoodtreehugger

Yeah, I lean towards it always being that way, but I think that the ever increasing militarization of the police since 9-11 has increased the level of violence. POC have always been the target of cops but I don’t think this many people have been blatantly murdered since the Jim Crow days.

strivingally

Alright, one more and I’ll stop (for now). A moving piece from Stacia L. Brown on parenting as a POC in America when so many young POC are killed so young:

I have eyes and a watchful heart; they are both weary. I have hope that if the time comes, my community will be like Michael Brown’s, immovable and resolutely together. And what I also have are words that I’m meant to use when I least want to, in hopes that they will reach beyond my grasp and be a reckoning for those who, in the face of immense loss, would just rather we all returned to our homes and kept quiet.

Ally S

BTW, Anonymous doxxed the police chief of St. Louis, and they found out that he has a Confederate flag in his house.

J.J
J.J

Okay, as a POC, I am both angry and scared. Luckily for me, I’m a woman and lighter skinned, so I will get racist crap sometimes, I am less likely to get shot, at least where I live. I just hope when/if I have biological children and if they happen to be boys, things will be better. Then again, they’ll probably be mixed race, like me, so maybe they’ll be lucky in the genetics department.

And just having that thought depresses me, I don’t want to be hoping that my children ‘pass’ so they’re less likely to be harassed in this day and age.

An unarmed black man should not signal danger. Especially when we have armed white people walking around with shotguns bitching about their lack of freedom to carry said shotguns. *has nephews that are still small and worries what will happen when they grow up*

weirwoodtreehugger

St Louis alderman Antonio French has been arrested and jailed while live tweeting the protests. http://reason.com/blog/2014/08/14/ferguson-police-may-have-arrested-st-lou

Alderman, for those who don’t know, is the same as city council member.

J.J
J.J

Wait, wait, wait, I am not familiar with the law in St. Louis, but what are these people being arrested for, exactly? Last I checked we still have free press, so on what grounds are the reporters and French being arrested?

weirwoodtreehugger

Unlawful assembly. The cops have decided people shouldn’t protest after sundown. Why you should need a permission to protest when the first amendment explicitly states a right to assembly is beyond me. I guess French wasn’t in a free speech zone :/

I have no words. I’ve just got nothing.

Ally S

Reporters are being arrested because their presence is seen as inimical to “safe” police operations. In other words, the St. Loius police department is actively censoring them so that they don’t face any repercussions for their brutality. It’s also why they have helicopters right now circling over all of Ferguson.

Certainly a lot of racist discourses (particularly Islamophobic ones, for obvious reasons) in the US gained prominence after 9/11, but the police has always been a brutal, violent force in this country (and basically everywhere else, too) – long before 9/11.

Ally S

To elaborate on my earlier comment: the foundation of law enforcement in the US has always been white supremacist. Cops in America are literally agents of genocide. We often talk about how genocide only happens via imperialism, or that it refers only to the sudden mass killing of an entire group, but that’s wrong.

The mass murder aspect of genocide is simply its most extreme form: genocide exists in “lesser” forms as well, such as trans-generational socioeconomic exploitation, slavery, unrelenting violence against individuals belonging to that group, cultural erasure, narratives of dehumanization, and more. Genocide attacks the foundations of a people’s harmonious and peaceful existence.

And so society actively commits genocide against all black POC. There are very few and often zero safe places for black people. Black men are constantly targeted, profiled, and murdered by cops. This is how cops have always treated black POC, and unfortunately it is a cornerstone of US history. The US is actively built on genocide and supports those like them, such as Israel and South Africa during the South African Apartheid.

Shadow
Shadow

I’m just fuckin heartsick right now. In these last two years we’ve had so many black men and women killed by police and white people, but of course it’s black people protesting this that are at fault.

Jonathan Ferrell
Renisha McBride
Michael Brown
Eric Garner
Trayvon Martin
John Crawford
and I’m pretty sure that the list goes on

Also, I’d really like to reiterate this

It’s this vs this.

Shadow
Shadow

links borked

this vs this

Delphi Ote (@delphi_ote)

There’s no way to tell what’s actually going on in Ferguson. Reading Twitter feeds yields unconfirmed or even false information. Getting solid and reliable information is impossible. Mainstream reporters should’ve been on the ground covering this story days ago. The media has completely failed here, and it’s shameful.

Ally S

[CN: rape]

And of course, we can’t forget rape as a tool of genocide. It’s no coincidence that black WOC comrpise a large number of victims. And black trans WOC even moreso.

Shadow
Shadow

I’ve also had this song on repeat all day because fuck this bullshit

weirwoodtreehugger

Here’s a good comprehensive article about police brutality and misconduct

A lot of those tweets come with photographic evidence though.

Also, a lot of the tweets have actually come from local news stations. For example, the Antonio French has been confirmed by several news outlets.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

@ shadow, pretty off topic, and off color:
It is legal to carry long guns openly in Texas. It is legal to take off one’s shirt, regardless of gender, in Texas.
A few Austin women decided to bring some more boobs to the boobfest. Bless ‘ em.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Aren’t the local cops actively trying to keep mainstream news reporters out? That’s what I’ve been hearing.

redpoppy

Ooooo, those Open Carry Texas people make my blood boil. They’re allowed to run around without fear of any sort of repercussions from law enforcement. The Bundy Ranch…debacle was also evidence for this. Certain portions of America deemed that idiot a fucking hero. If Bundy were a POC, America would declare it the fucking END OF DAYS. POC, however, don’t even need to be armed to be deemed suspicious. Existing in America is enough to get them killed or arrested.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Also, did you guys see the news about the 14 year old kid in NYC I think who the cops tackled and took down when he was quite literally holding a damn puppy? Watch out, that child is armed with a puppy. Clearly he’s dangerous.

Shadow
Shadow

@blahlistic

That is awesome, and on any other thread I would say thanks for sharing, but not on this one. Please don’t go off topic on this thread. And please don’t try and bring levity on to this thread. This is too important, and too raw to too many people for off topic posts not to be dismissive

1 2 3 6