a voice for men antifeminism antifeminist women evil fat fatties evil sexy ladies evil ugly women gender policing men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA PUA reddit

The #FeministsAreUgly hashtag on Twitter confuses and frustrates some of the internet's most dedicated feminist-haters

Not actual feminist
Not actual feminist

#FeministsAreUgly is confusing a lot of people, misogynists included. The Twitter hashtag – which took off yesterday and is still going strong, if not quite so strong, today – was originally started not by misogynistic trolls but by two feminists, @LilyBolorian and @Cheuya, who intended the hashtag to be a way for feminist women to celebrate their own beauty, whether it conformed to conventional (and generally white-centric) standards or not. As Bolorian put it,

Women responded at once by doing just that, and the hashtag was quickly flooded by feminist selfies. This being the internet, it was also flooded with comments from misogynists and trolls. Given how many of the latter were posted, many feminists on Twitter initially assumed it was just another outburst of internet misogyny; it took a little while before the feminist origins of the hashtag became widely known.

So how did the devoted antifeminists of the manosphere and the Men’s Rights movement react to the hashtag? Some responded with unabashed glee. The regulars on Roosh V’s forum reposted the selfies of some in women posting in the #FeministsAreUgly hashtage, mocking them as fat, lazy “cunts.”

One commenter offered this helpful observation:

A lot of fat crazy feminists are also obviously on heavy psych meds. One of the tell tale signs is volatile temperment and grandiose delusions. The weight gain is often a side effect of some of the drugs. So next time you run into some fat cunt spouting feminist rhetoric just keep in mind she could literally be crazy (bipolar) too.

Another waxed conspiratorial:

Feminist women are trying to turn themselves Idols to be worshiped.

It all ties into the writings of Alice Bailey and Madame Helena Blavatsky.

But elsewhere in the misogynistic online subculture sometimes called the manosphere the responses were a tad more complicated and conflicted.

On the Red Pill subreddit, the hashtag seemed mainly to make the regulars angry. A fellow calling himself MajorStyles won himself some upvotes for a comment complaining that

these bitches have gained control of the media for the past 40 years. Enough is enough. They have desecrated the moral landscape of this country to a barely recognizable wasteland. Fat tattooed harpies who shit on men of value.

Time to call them on their shit.

Over in the Men’s Rights subreddit, the regulars were wary, many of them afraid that the hashtag was some sort of sneaky feminist trap to make them look bad … I guess by luring them into posting what they really thought?

SleepingSheeple 18 points 20 hours ago  Probably started by feminists trying to manufacture victimhood.      permalink     save     report     give gold     reply  [–]ArchangelOKC 4 points 11 hours ago  A false flag attack, basically

Among the assorted antifeminists I follow or otherwise encounter on Twitter, there were two basic responses. Some flatly declared that yes, feminists are ugly:

Others, a bit more circumspect, suggested that the real problem is that feminists are ugly on the inside.

A Voice for Men “Honey Badger” Hanna Wallen tried to have it both ways, posting a Dworkin joke aimed at a feminist who, like Dworkin, has dark curly hair, followed by a series of earnest and often incomprehensible tweets trying to prove that feminists (including me, specifically) have ugly souls.

I can only imagine how tough it’s been for MRAs to read through this hashtag. MRAs constantly attack feminists as fat and ugly; feminist women who aren’t fat are accused of having “manjaws” or other allegedly unflattering features. But many MRAs are also vaguely aware that constantly attacking their opponents as a bunch of uggos doesn’t exactly seem very statesmanlike. And so, many MRAs bite their tongues.

It’s tough being a men’s human rights activist. Sometimes they have to pretend that their opponents are actually human too.

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

Okay, my worlds have come together.

There is such a thing as Bonbons Cable Stitch.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

…Does it look like real bonbons? A bonbon scarf. I know people who’d wear that.

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

I don’t know, it makes me think more of Christmas crackers.

LBT (with an open writeathon!)

RE: cassandrakitty

I’m not even going to attempt the “different cultures can have different beauty standards even within the same time period” conversation with an MRA

These chucklefucks really think the world revolves around their dicks, don’t they? It’s kind of depressing how clueless a lot of people are as to the cultural differences in the world.

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

Hey, LBT, we left a couple of comments on the story!

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

When an anti-feminist calls feminists ugly/fat/hairy/lesbians/etc., my usual retort is, “Even if they were, they’d still be right.”

Yup. And anyone trying to discredit feminists by calling them ugly has only proven the need for feminism. It’s like the non-Internet version of Lewis’s Law.

LBT (with an open writeathon!)

I saw! Thank you, Kittehs! It brightened my day! 😀

weirwoodtreehugger

MRAs certainly don’t believe any men who say they like women who don’t fit the currently popular mode, so I doubt that they’re quite ready for the concept of beauty standards as a thing that changes over time.

I got into a hilarious argument with an evo psych troll about this subject once. He claimed that the beauty standards of western popular culture, specifically the thinness requirement are what people have always found attractive in women. He was impervious to being shown images of fertility statues depicting fat women or renaissance nudes depicting women with soft bellies and cellulite covered thighs. Art depicting non-skinny women as beautiful doesn’t count because back then they didn’t have mass media so artists just didn’t know what the people wanted to look at. Misogynists will really engage in the most entertaining mental gymnastics to argue their claims that their boner feels are universal and the most important thing in the world.

LBT (with an open writeathon!)

You know, people assume that because we’re multi, I’m self-absorbed and solipsistic.

And yet, I have absolutely no trouble understanding my sexual preferences aren’t universal. How on EARTH did heterosexual men take over the planet again?

Kakanian
Kakanian

@Scott Siskind

How’d you counter that?

By pointing out that the nuclear family isn’t something that was common historically. People arguing for it are already out of touch with humanity as a whole and paint kids as being overtly dependant on their parents. That – to be frank – is only ever a problem if the parents live in a nuclear family and homeschool their kids or if they’re otherwise abusive and busily building mental walls in their kid’s heads in order to isolate them from the rest of society. Under normal circumstances, kids are perceptive enough to see that their mental needs are met and take whatever they require from their peers and from the wider social circle their parents move in.

Illegitimacy had always been an issue whenever people did not have the financial or legal means to jump through all the hoops required to acquired legitimacy (means primarily the financial investment required to get married and maintain a stable household). Which basically covers all of the underclass, regardeless of gender or period.

Homosexuals haven’t been absent from any groups – even the Republicans had enough of them to make it a running joke and from what I remember. The shape of gay subculture really isn’t something you should blame on them either. They basically had to find a way to fit into a culture that doesn’t accept them and that’s the shape of the niche they found. If you’d like to draw a comparison with another subculture nobody liked, just look at the Jews that supported Zionism and left Europe to conquer their own bit of land: Their strategies of reasoning are completely in line with the mainstream discourse on race, manifest destiny and colonialism. They are a subculture because their chances to participate in mainstream culture was restrained in many ways, not because they’re culturally markedly different. Same goes for black people in the US. Their politics were and are formed by what mainstream culture allows them, first and foremost. To name an example: As the US notion of race only allows for two races (white and “coloured”, meaning black), they proposed that all non-white ethnicities should form a united political front which is something asian migrants generally thought preposterous and latin americans could not accept as race has very different markers, many more tires of blackness and whitness and comes with a different set of restraints in their culture. We saw that recently again when a good number of latin americans rightfully said that having made it to the US means that they’re qualified for whitness status in their own worldview.

The result of the sum of those attitudes is that Africans in many cases find Afro-Americans funny and ways too American in their politics to even consider them “black”.

It’s also funny to argue that Hyperliberalization is a symptom of lawlessness. I mean, after the French Revolution, the whole code of employment was rewritten into a liberal model which excluded all protective measures guilds used to offer their members. It was a code of law that left employees at the mercy of their employers and only furthered the growth of an underclass living outside of it. There was no breakdown of law that turned wokers into working poor with no recourse, it was a reform aimed at freeing everyone from constraints that used to limit people’s economic activities by doing away with established checks and balances without installing new ones.

The “cultural breakdown” that led to fascism began a lot earlier too, actually. You can basically go all the way back to the creation of the modern concept of nationality during the aftermath of the French Revolution and trace all of its components through the 19th century and the Fin de Siècle. Finally, the ultimate problem with Fascism is that it’s parasitic to its parent culture. It isn’t its own “thing”, but something that feeds on and into notions and attitudes already present in a culture.

Finally, the guy argues with morphological differences. Those certainly never were marked or visible enough to exclude James Buchanan or that vice who took the position after the president he served under died from the highest honours. It’s also funny to claim that they’re hypersexual when all they’re doing is trying to live up to the ideals of manhood set by society at large. That ideal isn’t exactly one of sobriety and sexual self-control after all.

weirwoodtreehugger

I too have mixed feelings about campaigns that expand the definitions of beautiful or sexy.

On the one hand, there is definitely some merit in pointing out that beauty and sexiness is subjective and different people find different traits attractive.

On the other hand, it reinforces the misogynist notion that in order to matter we have to be considered beautiful or sexy by someone.

Also, as someone who has had struggles with eating disorders and still has a shit load of image issues I resent the pressure to see myself as beautiful or sexy. There are times when I can do that but a lot of times I’m just not able to able to and it makes me feel like a failure as a feminist when people tell me I need to see myself as beautiful. I’ve always felt guilty about having body image issues because jerk brain tells me that feminists are supposed to be impervious to our culture’s extremely rigid beauty standards. Therefore I am a bad feminist.

tldr; those campaigns are intended to make women feel better about ourselves but they have an opposite effect on me.

cloudiah

I should probably apologize for going off topic, but this is WHTM.

LBT (with an open writeathon!)

Oh lord anti-gay asshats. I’m not going to click the link, it’ll just make me mad, but here are some of the old bullshit I remember debunking:

“Gays won’t have children and humanity will all die out!” Horseshit. We have six billion people on this sorry planet; we’re in no danger of going extinct. Also, of course gays can have children. Some have them before coming out. Some are trans or have a trans partner that allows them to conceive. Some adopt. So chill the fuck out.

“Gays are child-molesting hypersexual drug-users!” Child-molesters are a totally separate group from gay people. And oh no, poppers destroying the world! I have no problem with people having however much sex they want in whatever fashion, long as they aren’t harming anyone.

“If we allow gays to marry, people will marry their pet turtles!” No. Turtles aren’t sapient. They can’t consent. Seriously, if your slope is that slippery, you should ban all marriage, so we don’t encourage anyone to marry someone inappropriate.

“Gays want to overthrow the government!” *laughs* You know, my husband’s church members have a term they like to call “Stepford Gay.” They LOVE the government. As for the rest… yes, if a government treats you like shit, you might have low opinions of this. Breaking news at eleven.

“Gays recruit children!” I never had a gay person try and enlist me. STRAIGHT people, on the other hand, have been trying to fucking recruit me for fucking years. (Unsuccessfully.)

Kakanian
Kakanian

>He claimed that the beauty standards of western popular culture, specifically the thinness requirement are what people have always found attractive in women.

They used to find that really attractive in men during the Middle Ages. Though I guess he could argue that that was long before Evopsycho was invented, so people had no way of knowing any better. He’d be in line with how people thought about the period between the fall of the Roman Empire and the late 19th century in that case.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

@weirwoodtreehugger

Be kind to yourself. You don’t have to perfect yourself in order to be a good feminist. Having body issues (or any kind of issue) does not disqualify you from the role.

Body acceptance is important. I think body issue acceptance is also important.

I’m sure this is nothing you have not heard before, but maybe it helps to hear it again?

Fibinachi

An obsession with jamming things into things is a reliable transferable skill. Swords, knives, daggers, arrows, spears, di…

pallygirl
pallygirl

…ldos.

weirwoodtreehugger

Body acceptance is important. I think body issue acceptance is also important.

Body acceptance may never happen for me. I’ve learned to manage it and I recognize that our culture’s rigid beauty standards are problematic. I realize getting skinny won’t solve all my problems. I feel like that should be good enough for people. When people/body image campaigns tell me I should recognize and celebrate my beauty it feels to me like they are telling me the above accomplishments aren’t good enough. If that makes sense?

LBT (with an open writeathon!)

Stop the presses! Pallygirl outdid Fibinachi! Someone get her a trophy!

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Body acceptance may never happen for me.

It makes sense. But maybe that’s okay? Maybe you’ll never accept your body as beautiful, and maybe that’s fine.

It may be hard for me to explain without reference, so here you go: it’s true what I said above, about how I look in the mirror and like how I look. Nevertheless I do not want other people to see my body. I do not go swimming. I do not wear shorts. I buy clothes that are not baggy, per se, but nevertheless conceal my shape.

I think most people would agree that this represents some kind of body image problem, but I’ve decided that I don’t care. I don’t have to “grow” to the point of not caring if people see my body (or “outgrow” wanting them to not). I’m not working on that problem. I no longer see it as a problem.

It takes a lot of power out of the jerkbrain to tell it to do its thing and I don’t care. So I have some kind of unclassified body image problem. And?

That’s what I mean about body issue acceptance. Let’s just accept that some people don’t have a super-positive opinion of their own bodies. Insisting that everyone like their body and be happy with it, or else there is some kind of pathology there, is just another way that beauty culture poisons the mind. I don’t have a super-positive opinion of my artistic skills, either, but nobody tries to tell me that I must, or tell me that I am pathological if I don’t.

redpoppy
redpoppy

I’m in a similar position as WWTH. I have struggled with weight since I hit puberty and around that time my depression really started to manifest as well. I wore baggy clothes all the time and hated going outside or hanging around other people. I felt horribly ashamed of myself. When I turned 21, I was dealing with some really bad depression. I stopped eating for a long while and I started to lose weight. I didn’t even realize it because I was too absorbed in my own despair to notice. When I finally DID notice, I felt really good about my body. I still had depression and a ton of other issues but I finally felt that I could “fit in” society and be “hot.”

I eventually gained a lot of that weight back and lately I’ve been feeling so guilty about. There’s a lot of my own issues to unpack there but I still, to this day, struggle to accept my own body.

Janet

I participated in the posting of selfies in that hashtag, but I can understand having reservations about participating (or choosing not to participate) in it.

Myoo
Myoo

@cloudiah

This is my new favorite tumblr (TW for gastropod mollusks).

I laughed way too hard at that tumblr.

damselindetech

blahlistic (@blahlistic):

…Are y’all old enough to remember the old Folger’s instant coffee commercials? I hope so…

Announcer:
“We’ve secretly replaced the fluoxetine in these people’s capsules with methamphetamine CRYSTALS. Let’s see if they notice!”

*Cue video of people hurling tables and setting fire to the drapes in a nice restaurant, shouting and screaming can be heard in the background*

Not gonna lie. That set the bar for funny for this weekend. I read it yesterday and I’m still chuckling.

Phoenician in a time of Romans
Phoenician in a time of Romans

LBT:

We keep auxiliary brains in our penises as emergency thinking superchargers.

pallygirl
pallygirl

Aha, so that’s why male circumcision is *at least as bad as* FGM: the former is brain surgery.

/sarcasm

Fibinachi

Stop the presses! Pallygirl outdid Fibinachi! Someone get her a trophy!

Well
but I
the thing is I was
but the
yet now it’s
I was going for
the thing! The thing was! The thing!
evo psych history!
spears!
I was the thing… I was ma.. I was… point! I had a point I was

I bet pallygirl has cooties yes that’s what’s going to get me out of this

—————-

Oh okay then

Fibinachi

dammit.

And it was such a good trophy too!

LBT (with an open writeathon!)

Sorry fibs, your link be broken.

pallygirl
pallygirl

Was that a borked link to a commemorative coin or plate, or a rick roll?

/side eyes Fibinachi

LBT (with an open writeathon!)

Do I need to draw a Mammoth of the Thread trophy?

serrana
serrana

Damn, Fibi, that URL was 15487 characters long.

cloudiah

@LBT, yes please. XD

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

@LBT:

I saw! Thank you, Kittehs! It brightened my day! 😀

Glad to hear it, Rogan – and I just replied to Mac’s naughty reply! 😀

@WWTH: Mind boggling levels of evo-psych stupid. I don’t suppose this jackass stopped to think that artists needed patrons to pay for what they produced.

@cloudiah, that tumblr is hilarious! I knew the Boss would have to be in there somewhere, the faces he pulls.

Seconding the Mammoth of the Thread trophy idea! 😀

Johanna Roberts

I’m really not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it’s great for people to embrace their looks on the other? Beauty is not all there is to life and beauty doesn’t validate or invalidate words or philosophy. And it gets doubly complicated for people like me who ARE ugly, but it’s not any moral failing that makes me this way, it’s a disease run rampant on my body. I don’t post selfies though because of my view points and feminist and liberal outlook I know there’s going to be someone out there who turns it around to how I look, like that’s all there is. Yeah, own your looks but don’t throw those of us who aren’t conventionally attractive under the bus to do it.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

No throwing anybody under the bus.

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

If I had to volunteer as the Bus Sacrifice, that would be the bus to do it for.

Fibinachi

Was that a borked link to a commemorative coin or plate, or a rick roll?

/side eyes Fibinachi

A specially minted coin, just for this occasion.

pallygirl
pallygirl

See, you’re one I trusted. Hmmm…. a specially minted Rick Roll coin?

Robert
Robert

One of the issues I had to deal with wrt self image is that the men to whom I am usually attracted look very different from me. So seeing myself as attractive was a challenge. I’m getting better at it, after about thirty plus years.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

@ Robert

It worked exactly the other way around for me, oddly enough. When I realized that many of the women I find attractive look quite a bit like me I was able to stop beating myself up about every tiny little thing I deemed imperfect.

LBT (with an open writeathon!)

I didn’t even draw dicks on it!

pallygirl
pallygirl

It’s missing something… Rick Astley.

LBT (with an open writeathon!)

Sorry, you’ll have to copy/paste his face over the kitty yourself.

Trophy! Who gets it?