Uncategorized

A Men's Human Rights Movement Graphix Xtravaganza of Joy!!1!

Actual "meme" from AVFM. I did not make it up or choose the font.
Actual “meme” from AVFM. I did not make it up or choose the font.

That last post was a bit, well, grim. So I thought I’d lighten the mood with some terrible, terrible memes from A Voice for Men’s Facebook page. They’re so Men’s Human Rightsy that you can practically smell the human rights wafting off of them!

Or could that be the powerful and obnoxious odor of mendacity?

Either way, enjoy! For a fun game, see how many different examples of ideas that do not actually enhance human rights you can find in the memes below! For example, I found both misogyny and transphobia! See what else you can find!

avfmkillsleep avfmtransphobia avfmawesome avfmindustrev avfmmothersdayyy

This last one is kind of my favorite. Fuck you, mom! I took out the garbage last week!

brooked

Being rejected may push your kitty from being confused about feminism into becoming a full-fledged MRA.

strivingally

FRA? (Feline Rights Activist)

A Voice For Cats (to howl when the door to outside is closed)?
Kitties Going Their Own Way (to the food bowl)?

Robert
Robert

That killing men in their sleep one bothers me. Do they realize how over the top it is, or do they expect to be taken seriously with such swamp gas?

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

I seriously don’t know what to say so here’s an image of what sums up of the memes and the MRM movement itself

Ally S

RE: The Mother’s Day poster

[CN: harassment]

This idea that feminists assume all men are rapists is not only a gross misunderstanding of feminism, but also deeply harmful to women. I have every fucking reason to be distrustful of men on the street, given that I have had men take pictures of me without my consent, purposefully invade my space on public transit, threaten to beat me up, make sexual comments about me, and more. Even among the men I know, there are very few of them that I can actually trust.

If hearing me say “I don’t trust men” makes some self-absorbed man upset at me, then so be it.

Susie Cross
Susie Cross

War Zone is a brilliant documentary about this type of behavior. Funny, the men don’t like the camera turned on them and exposing their perv-ness.

brooked

I’m guessing the logic, and I’m using that word very loosely, behind the murder in the sleep thing is that thanks to feminism men are punished for domestic violence against women while women get to kill men “burning bed style” and get away with murder using the battered women syndrome defense.
You have to have little to no actual knowledge of the limited success of that outdated defense and a real inability to express your ideas to come up with a DV meme that bad. Plus a heap of misogyny, terrible aesthetics, a limited world view and no real interest in the victims of DV of either gender as well. What I’m really saying is only a true blue MRA could have made that meme.

pallygirl
pallygirl

This popped up in one of my feeds today: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11006588/WW1-women-at-work-In-pictures.html

By <10% actively employed, it will ignore all the contributions women were making to family businesses. It will also ignore the fact that sweatshop businesses, who typically have a female workforce, are not exactly known for their commitment to be honest about employee work practices.

Save The Queen
Save The Queen

Speaking of WTF facebook memes, this might be new low for them. It’s disgustingly ableist.

Save The Queen
Save The Queen

You’ve got to actually go to donolink.com and enter the URL and it will give you a shortened one. You can’t just stick donotlink.com in front of the URL.

pallygirl
pallygirl

Holy fucking ad hominem batman. AVfM: continues to throw people with mental ilness under the bus, while demonstrating a complete lack of understanding of mental illness. Colour me surprised.

For those wishing to use the donotlink link, here it is: http://www.donotlink.com/b2ka

For those wishing to use donotlink, here is the page where you type in the url to get the above type result: http://www.donotlink.com/

I have the donotlink page bookmarked on my toolbar.

begee
begee

@cerrustheasexual
“It overall reminds me of the fantastical thinking behind support for “castle doctrine” and right-wing gun frenzy. Oh, all the brown people of the world want nothing more than to break into your home for the sole purpose of murdering you, but will be kind enough to make a lot of noise and alert you to their presence, allowing you to wake up, get focused, get armed, and find them with a close-range weapon they’ll wield at distance threateningly so that you’ll be justified in getting away with murder,”

Oh leave the castile doctrine alone; it’s the one decent thing that the gun nuts have produced. :). It helps protect women who have been abused and killed in self-defense from having to comply with absurd “duty to retreat” rules. And quite frankly, if someone threatens you in your own home you should be allowed to defend yourself and your property. (I agree it’s not as easy to use a gun in self-defense as they make it out to be, but that’s a whole different issue).

Fun trivia, in Massachusetts, the state I live in, the Castile Doctrine came about after a woman shot her abusive partner. She had been hiding in the cellar with her children, assuming that he would calm down and leave. Instead, after some time, he ran down the stairs threatening her and she shot him dead. She was indicted on murder and convicted of manslaughter because they claimed that she could of squeezed through a tiny basement window several feet over her head with her children instead of killing him. >< So yeah, I don't think there should be a duty to retreat in one's own home.

See; Commonwealth v. Shaffer

Bina
Bina

Oh right, libertarians are closet autocrats and don’t actually want a real competitive economy, they just want all the others to know their place, but still feel like a badass for “earning” the top spot in a rigged game.

Like I so often say…they’re all about “freedom for ME, but none for thee!”

Save The Queen
Save The Queen

Thanks for the info and fixing it! The DoNotLink infopage implied that I didn’t have to always come back to the link-creation page and could just add text to the link I wanted to post. Now I know! Sorry for littering up the page.

Ally S

@pallygirl

Rather than celebrate the fact that there are major disabled feminist thinkers (although it’s true that Millet was abusive), they cite their mental illnesses as a reason for them to be dismissed entirely. Nice job, AVFM. Also, anyone who thinks that schizophrenia is inherently violent is a fucking idiot.

sparky

So, I tried my hand at making a few awful MRA memes:

MRA meme 1

MRA meme 2

LBT (with an open writeathon!)

*cups face in hands* Why, WHY are they such awful graphic designers? WHY? I have such limitations and I’M better than these doofuses!

Ally S

HOLY FUCK IS THAT A REAL BOOK COVER IS THAT REALLY A REAL BOOK COVER I LITERALLY CAN’T BELIEVE IT

Also,

Extracts from Erin Pizzey’s Foreword: ‘Mike Buchanan is a very brave man….’

Stopped reading there.

weirwoodtreehugger

It really is impossible to satirize MRAs. Maybe it should be one of those challenges Mikey B loves to issue so much.

Toolbox
Toolbox

Mike appears to be replying to all the reviews on Amazon. He’s sticking to the belief that bad reviews will increase interest in the book by ‘exposing censorship’.

Eternal optimist, I guess.

brooked

@Ally S

That was my reaction. It’s amazing that people like Mike “Five Blogs” Buchanan still have the capacity to surprise me with their poor decision making. I would expect his book to have a terrible cover, but that’s a shockingly direct expression of his general thesis that women feminists are hideous inhuman monsters. Stay classy Five Blogs!

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

I’m going to have nightmares.

pallygirl
pallygirl

@brooked: all feminists are hideous inhuman monsters. The physically unattractive ones look exactly like the image on the cover. The physically attractive ones are all whores, whose inner ugliness looks exactly like the image on the cover.

MRAs: their dictionary does not include the word “subtle”.*

* Their dictionary includes words like fact, statistics, but the definitions are not what you would expect.

Fibinachi

Well, yes.

To people who ask why I chose the image o f a female vampire for the cover of this book, I say that the image reflects two defining characteristics of feminism: anger and ugliness. Feminists’ anger is founded upon and fueled by their misandry (hatred of men) and the book has a good deal to say on that topic. And to my mind any ideology based upon hatred of half the world’s population is emphatically ugly. There is of course another meaning of the word ‘ugly’, that relating to physical appearance. It would be dishonest to deny the evidence before us – that feminists are generally less attractive than normal women – and the link between female attractiveness and feminism is covered in this book

So… yeah. Inhuman ugly monsters.

Mike B just MMD.

brooked

What’s MMD stand?

sparky

Yeah, I chose that image because it came up in a Google image search of “ugly feminist monster*” (I wanted something over-the-top) and saw that was on Mikey B’s book cover, so I couldn’t resist. They truly, truly seem to believe that feminists and women are some kind of blood-thirsty horror movie monsters.

*I do not recommend doing a google image search on “ugly feminist monster” unless you are prepared to get angry and/or have a strong stomach.

brooked

and the link between female attractiveness and feminism is covered in this book

Of course it is. Does he compare the link between physical attractiveness and MRAs? Not that I think anyone should, but Five Blogs obviously finds this line of thinking productive.

Phoenician in a time of Romans
Phoenician in a time of Romans

To people who ask why I chose the image of a female vampire for the cover of this book, I say that the image reflects two defining characteristics of feminism: anger and ugliness.

Strange – if most people put images of female vampires on anything, it’d be because they wanted to appeal to overheated prurient fantasies about dangerous bisexual vixens.

gilshalos

OMG!
Being Scots, I made the mistake of going to MB’s political party website.
Thank the goddess all the seats seem to be in England.

pallygirl
pallygirl

He had a link to a youtube video where it was him and three others (two women, one man) appearing in front of what I assume to be a select committee. When asked about their backgrounds, the women mentioned detailed training and experience, Mike didn’t mention anything, and the other guy mentioned something about one study he did. I only watched about 10 minutes – the damn thing is over an hour long – and MB seems to think it’s a pinnacle of his achievement as a MRA. In the bit I saw, the select committee were being as polite to him as they would be to anyone who seemed hopelessly out of their depth and had information that wasn’t factual or relevant. One of the *male* politicians (I’m assuming politician because I’m assuming select committee) asked him about why he was using data from Saudi Arabia when the issue was in the UK. The committee chair (also male) also seemed to not be very impressed with MB, although again he was very polite.

Not seeing how this was a triumph for MB.

The Truffle
The Truffle

I found a site by a lady who’s visited Pakistan, and it looks interesting…until her FMRA colors show. She idolizes Pizzey and Straughan. She argues that Pakistan needs electricity, not feminism. Maybe it needs both? I mean, there are problems with infrastructure, living standards, and misogyny. Perhaps electricity and feminism are both ways to address this?

Riffat Hassan (Pakistani Muslim feminist) might have a word to say with this woman. Anyway, the site is called Ice Cream in Pakistan, and…oy. I need to steer clear because the MRA-ness, it buuuuuuurrrns!

cassandrakitty

Oh, those castle/stand your ground laws protect women who’re trying to defend themselves from abusive partners, do they? That’s what they’re for?

The correct title for that book by Mike Buchanan should be Feminism, The Halloween Costume for sad insecure men who hate ladies.

Howard Bannister

There’s a huge difference between castle doctrine and stand your ground laws.

For one, castle doctrine was case law that was built organically around life as people actually experienced. Once you’ve run to your home, your last safe place, there’s not a lot further you can run.

Stand your ground is ALEC-written corporate law being spread by the usual suspects, and there is nothing good about it.

Law enforcements personnel kind of like castle doctrine.

Most cops I’ve asked hate SYG.

As was mentioned before, castle doctrine came from a case where a woman defended herself, and is explicitly about allowing that defense.

SYG explicitly excludes protecting oneself from domestic violence. Explicitly.

Which is not to say castle doctrine is great or anything; but please don’t lump them together. I don’t think they’re really in the same category at all.

Howard Bannister

I mean, just to emphasize the difference between the two here, the case that was mentioned above involved somebody going to jail, right?

The case in Florida that was the specific trigger for Stand Your Ground? Firstly, was already covered under Castle doctrine, because it was in their home? Secondly?

They didn’t go to jail for it.

They were never even charged for it.

(and it’s actually a sad and tragic story about an aid worker who was so desperately dehydrated and just needed help and water and got shot by a scared old man who wishes he’d never pulled that trigger)

And the legislature rushed to pass SYG anyway.

I get passionate about SYG and what a crock of shit it is.

cassandrakitty

I have pretty much zero sympathy for any pro-gun position, tbh, but if it’s not being applied in as egregiously awful a way as stand your ground that’s something.

Howard Bannister

Also, Cassandrakitty, here’s a study which goes through a bunch of SYG cases to confirm that Marissa’s case wasn’t any kind of fluke–it’s the rule.

(not that you needed it, but, y’know, just to be clear)

cassandrakitty

If Florida has the castle doctrine, and it’s supposed to help abused women protect themselves from their abusers, why didn’t it help Marissa Alexander?

Howard Bannister

I don’t really mean to come off as pro-castle doctrine so much as I’m trying to emphasize what a fucking joke SYG laws are. There are literally police chiefs running around going ‘but now who do I arrest after a couple of gangs have a literal shootout in the streets–this law means that no laws have been broken and they are immune from all prosecution, you get that, right’ — and the conservatives are running around spreading it to more states because it’s good for handgun sales.

cassandrakitty

But do the SYG laws somehow invalidate the castle doctrine laws that were already there? Because if not I’m still not seeing how, if it’s true that castle doctrine helps to protect abused women, it failed to protect Alexander (and, according to your last link, lots of other women too).

Howard Bannister

@cassandrakitty

Well, for starters, uneven application of the Castle doctrine along race-based and gender-based lines. But that’s an issue with all our laws.

And SYG in Florida literally says ‘and this doesn’t apply to a husband, of course.’

cassandrakitty

Again, though, the claim was that protecting women was the goal of castle doctrine and that things were working as planned in that regard.

cassandrakitty

(Not a claim that you made, I know, you’re not the one I’m side-eyeing.)

Howard Bannister

You’re absolutely right; furthermore, a quick Google at Massacheusets law gives me this:

Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 278, Section 8(a): In the prosecution of a person who is an occupant of a dwelling charged with killing or injuring one who was unlawfully in said dwelling, it shall be a defense that the occupant was in his dwelling at the time of the offense and that he acted in the reasonable belief that the person unlawfully in said dwelling was about to inflict great bodily injury or death upon said occupant or upon another person lawfully in said dwelling, and that said occupant used reasonable means to defend himself or such other person lawfully in said dwelling. There shall be no duty on said occupant to retreat from such person unlawfully in said dwelling.

“Unlawfully present” …which means in a domestic violence incident, unless you already got a restraining order, then it doesn’t apply.

Which seems like it wouldn’t be how you’d word it if you were writing it in the wake of a domestic violence incident.

Or possibly…electric ladies?

@ Howard

Well look at that. I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that the assertion made upthread turned out to be not entirely credible.

(And also too sleepy to google effectively, so thank you.)

LBT (with an open writeathon!)

I was pretty suspicious too, since I’ve heard lots of “rah rah gun” stories about those laws, but not ONCE did I ever hear about it in protection in case of domestic violence. It was always break-ins, muggers, or horrible breaches of justice.

(I think I heard ONE story where a young single mother protected her two children from some creepy dude who was hacking through their front door with an axe, talking about what he’d do to her, but he was a stranger, which was why she was allowed to shoot him. And even then, she was on the phone with the cops and they SPECIFICALLY said she had to wait until he’d entirely hacked through the door, or it wouldn’t count.)

(And yes, her children were there. While this was happening. While she was talking with the cops, holding a gun, waiting for this guy to finish hacking through their door.)